PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone understand cullmode?

TAMcCullough
03-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I just loaded up some DX 9 shaders in max. I'm trying to get the alphas on the textures to sort properly. Cullmode = none currently.

By setting to AlphaBlendEnable to false I'm getting some decent results but I was wondering would you people set that to true and set cullmode to something different?

Either way what I'm looking for is a list of values or commands that I can put in place of none for cullmode that work with 3dmax. My search on the web is not turning anything up that is useful to a non programmer like me.

bcloward
03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
The options for cull mode are:

1. "none" - no back face culling
2. "cw" - clock-wise. - back face culling in Max
3. "ccw" - counter-clock-wise - front face culling in Max

Some other programs reverse the vertex winding order so ccw is back face culling for them. If you are able to use this feature to fix sort order problems in Max I'd really like to hear how you do it.

TAMcCullough
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
LOL.

bcloward, you're the one that got me looking into this stuff in the first place. Should have just asked you in your fx shaders thread! :D Thanks for the reply man. Anything I can do to help you write more shaders to get that MAX viewport looking like a 3d engine, is good for all of us.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.