PDA

View Full Version : Google says goal to build $100 billion company

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Quote:
"Web search leader Google Inc. signaled the company's ambition is to become a $100 billion revenue company and said on Thursday that it plans to put systems in place to help reach that scale during 2006.

"I'll leave it to you to judge whether that is $100 billion in market capitalization or revenue," Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt said when discussing priorities for 2006. As of Wednesday, Google's market capitalization was over $111.5 billion."

>>LINK<< (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-03-02T184012Z_01_N02358706_RTRUKOC_0_US-TECH-GOOGLE.xml&rpc=23)

-R

Para
03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
*some gibberish about monopoly*

If they can make 100 billion out of "nothing", I'd say go for it.

agreenster
03-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I always worry when it's a company's ambition to be centered around how much money they toss around.

fuss
03-02-2006, 11:36 PM
I always worry when it's a company's ambition to be centered around how much money they toss around.

I thought it's the ambition of every capitalistic company, why should Google be any different about that?

strangelife
03-03-2006, 12:44 AM
well now, there's a worthy goal. why not 300 billion? or a trillion? these guys are thinking small if you ask me.:rolleyes:

opus13
03-03-2006, 04:14 AM
well now, there's a worthy goal. why not 300 billion? or a trillion? these guys are thinking small if you ask me.:rolleyes:
baby steps, man... baby steps.

greyface
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I thought it's the ambition of every capitalistic company, why should Google be any different about that?

Capitalist company? Is that like, every single company which makes money? And no, not every "capitalist" company has as only ambition to make more money.

Trenox
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Capitalist company? Is that like, every single company which makes money? And no, not every "capitalist" company has as only ambition to make more money.

No thats every single company thats on the stock marked.. - and yes google is no different. Just as 'evil' as MS and any other corporation out there...

Dennik
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
So how exactly do they make money again?

jeremybirn
03-03-2006, 03:32 PM
A few days ago an executive at google hinted that growth might be slowing or not as fast as when they first got started, and their stock dropped after that statement. This statement is just to counter-act that and remind investors that they are still an ambitious growth-oriented company.

I personally wouldn't put a dime into google unless I thought there was a possibility for a really _HUGE_ upside, a lot of growth. You know there's risk there, a big downside, with them squarely in Microsoft's gun-sights, so to be worth putting money on it better have a bigger upside than a lot of more mature and stable companies.

But what do I know, I'm still trying to figure out my picks for the office Oscar pool...

-jeremy

jeremybirn
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
So how exactly do they make money again?

They are about the biggest advertiser on the Internet, placing google ads on lots of sites, plus they are the leading search engine. They also have services to compete with ebay, paypal, pricefinder, hotmail, mapquest, and other plans for world domination.

I love google calculator.

-jeremy

aaraaf
03-03-2006, 03:45 PM
The exec was pretty beat up for not knowing how to talk to Wallstreet. They are a fairly recently traded company. They hadn't pre-declared that their statement would reflect the amount of change (or non-changing) that he was going to announce.

He basically said that they wouldn't be growing much in the search engine market (as far as taking over more) but failed to remind that it's because their percentage of users is already so high. This announcement was probably to remind people that they are not just a search engine.

I too would be afraid to put my money into a company that doesn't make anything *real*, but maybe that's just the artist in me and a personal issue that one day I'll have to overcome? Google posts earnings, but my tiny mind just can't comprehend how they make money with all of their free services. :)

Coliba
03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
So what do they do with all that revenue? It's not like they have manufacturing plants to build and maintain, manufacturing cost is really hiring a bunch of smart people and they develop software....

JosephGoss
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
So what do they do with all that revenue? It's not like they have manufacturing plants to build and maintain, manufacturing cost is really hiring a bunch of smart people and they develop software....

they probably spend some of the money in investing in more internet stuff, so they get closer to dominating the world

they'll need a lot of money to make a OS to rival windows, if they are going ahead with any ideas like that

joe

Nichod
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Who cares?

Saurus
03-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Corporation wanting to make more money…that’s unheard of!! Ahhh…they’re all the same! Google, Microsoft, Apple…they all want to make the gazillion money and dominate the market. That’s why it kills me every time someone nags on M$ when comparing to other smaller companies, when the other smaller companies have the same market vision as Microsoft, but they just haven’t been as successful doing it.

mangolass
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM

They are also in the restaurant business ~ they run lots of free restaurants with gormet meals for their employees!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/01/FDG32H9OF61.DTL&hw=google+food&sn=004&sc=490

LT

agreenster
03-03-2006, 09:36 PM
I thought it's the ambition of every capitalistic company

Is it really? Some companies are actually WAY more passionate about the products and services they provide. The role of revenue isn't to line their greedy pockets, but to KEEP them making the products they are already passionate about.

It's a double-edged sword. I realize you are being cynical, but let's be honest. Nearly every successful company began with a passion for creating something, not making a ton of money as the ultimate goal. Google did too. They wanted to provide an amazing search engine. Now that it has made them gazillionaires, their attention has to be pulled towards the greedy individuals (shareholders) who DON'T necessarily care about Google. If they shift their focus on making money, they will just be that giant money-making machine with no genuinely passion for their product or service.

BRUTICUS
03-03-2006, 10:21 PM
They gotta play the game man. Google has their "don't be evil" moto. But even to follow suit to that, they have to play the game.

Google sees everything we search for and therefore knows what we want and what to develop for us.

I still think Google will be bigger than Microsoft one day.

And i'm not the only one: http://www.robinsloan.com/epic/

Keiphus
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Google shares shot up ~$15-20 when this article went public... What does that tell you... personally I shorted the hell out of it... I'm hoping it drops back to $300 again sometime soon. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.