PDA

View Full Version : 3D Flash?

Elf
12-14-2002, 05:08 PM
I am a flash enthuasist, but while looking over cgtalk I found this forum and was quite confused:surprised . The thought of a 3D flash was quite exciting to me:drool: , so I went to the macromedia website and found nothing:sad: . I was wondering if someone could plz inform me about this!

Thank you

fig
12-14-2002, 05:46 PM
you might check out swift3d (http://www.swift3d.com/) for some 3d flash info.

chris

J_A_X
12-14-2002, 08:38 PM
there are many ways to do 3d with flash....
one is a sorta renderer for animating 3d...thats swift...
but then, you can always do some basic 3d with pretty simple actionscript...
http://www.flashkit.com
http://www.ultrashock.com
you can find stuff there....its probbly the 2 best sites i ever went on for 3d

eudemonie
12-15-2002, 05:33 PM
---

i think, what Elf wanted to know is, if you can do "real" 3d
in flash. The answer is NO!

You have a X & Y axis, but no Z axis.

You can do 3d, but this is a 2d illusion.

hope, that is what you wanted to know.

--
eu

M.Rogne
12-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Exactly why is it you do not have a Z-axis in vector grafx ? I haven't done flash in a long time, but as far as I remember, it is vector grafx, which should mean that it's build upon info, like... programming or whatever, compared to bitmap grafx.
So why should it be impossible to create, lets say a ball in 3D flash ? Wouldn't it be as simple as a sphere with a radius ?

gaggle
12-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Flash doesn't work that way. That's.. really what there is to it.

3D in Flash consists of your 3D program rendering to a plugin that scans this standard 2D output, and generates said image in a 2D vector format (clasically that'll be .swf's). These vectorized frames are then shown one after another. Just like your standard movie.

So no, no real 3D in flash, it's vector-graphics yes, but the output is still 2D frames shown after eachother.

er, just for good measure it should be mentioned that people have programmed 3D engines for Flash, ie. using one of those you could define a sphere with a radius and so on and so forth. Outputting from a 3D program won't do that though..

Web Guy
12-16-2002, 03:22 PM
I am using Discreet Plasma at this moment and love it. You might want to check into this for your 3d needs.

fig
12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
M.Rogne, you technically can set a z-index in flash but that's about as far as it goes, you're simply establishing a hierarchy of which item is "on top" and not changing the objects scale relative to position at all. the only way to simulate the z is to fake it using scripting to scale accordingly as an object's depth increases.

chris

eudemonie
12-16-2002, 05:33 PM
hi fig

yes, you are right.
but not to confuse elf i want to point out again:

3D is not "real" 3D in Flash!

swift, plasma etc. are great tools. but when you RENDER to
flash is always 2D.

An example:

I want to create a football (sphere; 3D) in motion.

IN FLASH:

You have to fake the 3d look, lights, the shadows etc.

IN 3D APPLICATION:

You create your football, make the animation , camera,
light ...
and here is the adv.: the work in 3d is more intuitive

IN SWF:

it is the "same" result! --

---
hope i was able to help
eu

Elf
12-16-2002, 05:42 PM
thank you very much for all of your replies:D . i know better understand what 3d in flash is and its uses

Per-Anders
12-16-2002, 06:30 PM
eudemonie.. it's possible to do "real" 3d in flash, action script is just a programming langauge and you can program 3d... just the same as opengl. when it comes down to it nothing on a computer is "3d" as it's all programming tricks to give the illusion, programming in perspective etc, so programming the same thing in flash does nothing more or less than programming it in c++. i use 3d on my site, check the music section for some 3d fun, also the 3d menu in the testbed (this was produced over two years ago now on flash 5 when it had just come out and i decided to learn to program, my whole site is badly in need of an update).

other poeple have been more advanced, i once saw someoone had produced a 3d platonic generator in flash 4! (this is with solid sides and backface culling.. i was most impressed) i believe the link was somewhere on teh pope-de-flash site. with MX you finally have actual drawing commands so you no longer need to use distorted movie clips to do this sort of thing.

if you go and get Flash Super Samurai there's a whole chapter devoted to 3d programming in flash. in theory it would be possible to load in a file generated by a 3d app (provided it was an ascii) and parse it in flash to create the 3d object directly in flash... however it would be tremendously slow. this is the downside to flash, like most macromedia products, it's not really all that fast. i mean, director, flash etc, are just don't cut it by our expectations, especially with regards to 3d). it's all possible, just not easy, and not speedy.

eudemonie
12-16-2002, 08:21 PM
thanks mdme_sadie for correcting me! this is realy totaly
new to me, sorry. Your site is great (even after 1,5 years)

i don't know the book "Super Samurai", perhaps i should
have a look at this one

--
eu

Per-Anders
12-16-2002, 08:47 PM
it's an excellent book for advanced actionscript, i can recommend it to everyone (even though it's flash 5, what's in there still holds true for flash mx) :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.