PDA

View Full Version : My head is exploding! DOF from 3D max RPF/RLA....

ahuss
03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious but its driving me a bit loopy...
None of the 3D channel effects seem to have any effect on my RPF/RLA images from Max 7.0. Is there a step that I am missing? pls help!......
Thanks!

Vympel
03-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Checkteh setings of rpf files export dialog

ahuss
03-03-2006, 01:21 AM
did that. no dice unforunately

WillRyan
03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Bring your rpf file into a composition
Make a duplicate copy and keep it above your original
apply a 3D Channel Extract to the copy; if the distance between your objects was too shallow in Max, it may initially show up as a single shade of grey at this point
if so, adjust the black and white point values within the 3D Channel Extract controls to be closer to one another (I had to drop white to -25 and raise the black to -500 to get any kind of results on my quick test!)
apply a compound blur to your original image and choose the duplicate copy as the Blur Layer
to animate a quick and dirty "rack focus", precomp the duplicate copy and add an animated curves call within the precomp to invert the black and white areas of the image over time
I'm not really satisfied with the quality of the image doing it this way, but I was able to have a way of keeping the DoF very flexible in post this way. Anybody have a better way, 'cos I know there's got to be something better out there. :D

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.