PDA

View Full Version : Some general pointers with texturing a car

Anti-Distinctlyminty
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi peoples,
I'm about to undertake a project to texture a Ford '34 truck and I'm looking for some pointers towards some decent tutorials or just any help that can be provided at all really. Especially with the UV mapping. I'm having a bit of a hard time with LW's tools as they seem to feel a bit dated and awkward. Are there any free plugins that enhance UV mapping?
I've attached the picture of the model and the kind of look I'm going for...thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Ihaven't attached any images, as I can't seem to upload any. Brilliant.

JuanManuel
03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
There is a famous box modelling tutorial of a car somewhere around cgtalk. You could find it quite handy

IZZE
03-03-2006, 07:47 PM
http://www.uvlayout.com/

This helps with um UV's. 30 day trial.

Anti-Distinctlyminty
03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips :)
One things I was wondering is about the UV tools in Blender or maybe Silo (as it's so cheap), I'll post in those specific forums to see if people have any information, but it cant hurt to post here too - also I do kinda need a comparison between lightwave and those apps (at least as far as UV mapping goes :)

Lewis3D
03-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi !

Can you explain it better ? What's wrong with LWs UV texturing for cars , what's the exactp problem you have (i might help)? I'v done it for dozens of cars I made in LW ? Also what for you would use UVs on a car? You can do it with planar textures if you want to use/render model in LW also if you don't like UVs methid. I did it both ways and i didn't find UVs any harder to do than planar mapings of various decals, stickers, bump maps .... I often nake models for various programs so i tend to use UVs just to be sure that after 3D conversion i still have proper place of all stickers, bumps, decals... no mater what SW will later use my model.

cheers

Anti-Distinctlyminty
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi !

Can you explain it better ? What's wrong with LWs UV texturing for cars , what's the exactp problem you have (i might help)? I'v done it for dozens of cars I made in LW ? Also what for you would use UVs on a car? You can do it with planar textures if you want to use/render model in LW also if you don't like UVs methid. I did it both ways and i didn't find UVs any harder to do than planar mapings of various decals, stickers, bump maps .... I often nake models for various programs so i tend to use UVs just to be sure that after 3D conversion i still have proper place of all stickers, bumps, decals... no mater what SW will later use my model.

cheers

Hi Lewis, thanks for the reply :)
I'm not that familiar with UV texturing & found the tweaking of UV maps to eliminate stretching & to obtain decent positioning time consuming and awkward - but this may be just the way things are :)
The reason that I'm UV mapping as oppoed to planar mapping is two fold:
1. I'm not going for a clean look on the car. There will be dirt, grime and just generally not that 'just out of the factory' look.
2. I want the texturing to be quite detailed and the car has a lot of relatively awkward shapes and folds where the texture must be continuous & I do not want it to stretch.

When I unfolded certain parts of the object the results took alot of time to get into a useable state. Partly due to the shape of the object I was unwrapping and partly due to the unwrapping algorithms themselves I think. For example, many polys became so thin on the UV plane, that they looked like 2 point polys. This required alot of time consuming selecting of points adn manually moving them so the polys could be seen and rearranged.

I just though that either I'm severly lacking in UV skills (quite plausable) or the tools themselves leave something to be desired. Or both :)

Lewis3D
03-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi !

OK now i understand :). I hope you work in LW 8.3 or 8.5 'coz from 8.3 (or it was 8.2 :)? LW UVs got pretty important update

1. All LW tools will work in LW UV window so you can size, move, strech.... all parts of UV
2. If you want disortion free UVs be sure that you set UV interpolation to SubPatch UVs and not linear or other versions.
3. For dirt I'd make Weight map and then just use procedurals for mud and dirt controled by gradient which you can multiply on car form surface editor later on render.
4. LW don't have automatic UNFOLD so I'd recoomend to not UV whole car body at one click. Try to do it partialy with car parts one by one and move them inside UV widnow/space manually. There is one trick what works better for making car skins (whole body for game race decals or so). Make NEW layer and create BOX which is size is same as car (H/V/D). Convert cubes sides to 2-point polys (so that you have cube like made of splines). Then you select car layer and that new layer of cube and select all polys you want to make UV for (let's say bonnet) and select ALL 2-point polys of cube. When you make UV in that way your Bonnet will not occupy WHOLE UV space in UV window 'coz you will constrain it with size of car/cube you made in new layer (that's why cube is same size as car) and you'll have much cleaner UV wihtout disorted look in UV space (easier for makin texture sin Pshop).

cheers

Eurisko
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Here are the pictures of the truck. I'm the guy that modelled it. It's probably my 3rd or 4th serious attempt at a model and our first proper collaboration.

I know there are a load of errors, innacuracies and things I could have done better, some down to things I missed, some laziness and some things I just couldn't figure out how to do.

Hope this helped. :)

http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/truck1-20060308042304.jpg (http://s2.supload.com/free/truck1-20060308042304.jpg/view/)
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/truck2-20060308042304.jpg (http://s2.supload.com/free/truck2-20060308042304.jpg/view/)
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/truck3-20060308042305.jpg (http://s2.supload.com/free/truck3-20060308042305.jpg/view/)

Lewis3D
03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi !

Truck is modeled excellent and there is no problem in that area :). You've done very nice job but i still don't see what for you've need UV maps there :). You just ned to make surfaces for each material and use gradient for fresnel effect on paint and you are ready to render :). If you want dirt you can do it on several ways alos. One is Weight map as i mentioned, other is whole car in UV map (with method I also mentioned) or you also can try with gradient and multichannel surface where gradient will control height of dirt from bottom of car or NULL object as reference :).

Anti-Distinctlyminty
03-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Lewis,
I didn't want to texture the truck with a 'clean' look. I want to paint the detail in photoshop and have it applied to the correct areas. This is the reason I figured I needed to UV map the thing - well maybe not the whole thing, I'm working on the cab at the moment, which is kind of square but not. I don't think that it's possible to get a UV that can do it, as I'm going to have horrible seams at some point :(
I think the way to go may be to use weight maps & gradients as you suggested, so I can have the detail painted in photoshop as I wanted. Or maybe a combination of UV, weight and gradient.

Anyone have any suggestions on what they would do to paint textures for the cab part of the model?

Lewis3D
03-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi !

Do you have some photograph of idea what you want to apply to your truck ?

Here is one render i did in 2002 and i didn't use ANY UVs, just planar maping.

http://lewis.tomsoft.hr/images/Maserati_fire_big.jpg

Zarathustra
03-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I think in general it's best to uv map because...
1) if you ever needed to use model in another application, it'll be much easier to surface knowing at the very least your maps are the same
2) if you want to get contract work, it'll expand your opportunities if you could provide say a uv mapped OBJ
3) if you want to sell your models somewhere like Turbosquid, they'd be more marketable uv mapped.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.