PDA

View Full Version : ROBERTO'S BULLHORN: The Participation is down: What is going on?

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Ok people talk to me,
So for some reason the number of entries for most of the sketches is down this month.

What is going on?
I know of the new challenge, but that cannot be the only reason.

Looking forward to your comments.

-R

Freakwncy
03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I think since spring is here, people are gearing up for the summer and everyone is just a lil busy right now... like myself.. I've been checkin out the post, but haven't had time to post a drawing of my own... I guess I could drop in comments, but really haven't had the time for that either... but I always take a few minutes out of my day to check the entries... and keep the topics in the back of my head when i'm sketching or thinking of sketching... which in it still is very limited... but that's just my answer... i'm sure everyones answer is going to be alonog the same lines thou... sorry man.. but i'm here.... just limited...

robinayles
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
I've noticed it too and was wondering why. I know for myself I've been too busy to sketch, but have been trying to at least make comments.Maybe its just Cabin Fever or Spring Fever?

TobyArt
03-02-2006, 09:29 PM
For me personally the themed sketches have worn me out a little. The reason I started with DSG was it kept my mind going with new sketches totally random every day. The themed drawings changed daily but the whole concept was a repeat of the last day.
That's just me personally.

I still love this place, it makes Toby happy :drool:

Thany
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, I'd love to sketch everyday. I was more active while in art school, but since I started working professionally, I just don't have the time or energy to sit in front of my computer monitor after 8+ hours of doing just that at work.

I've also noticed that some of the topics have been repeated, nothing really wrong with that as it would be new to others, but for me, itís less appealing to do a topic that I've done before. If the right topic comes up, I'd be motivated enough to sketch.

I like that you try to mix things up a bit, like doing the magazine covers. I've been meaning to contribute, but I always end up doing something else.

Maybe we can do some kind of daily sketch survivor contest.

Gord-MacDonald
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
I have been busy with alot of things, but I do think that repeats of topics can reduce interest.

I think the key to dsg is to keep the ideas fresh and interesting, and to keep the participants a little off balance as to what the next topic will be.

I still love dsg - even though I have been away for awhile.

Gord

Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Ive not posted for yonks. Sorry :( I became self employed at the start of the year and Ive since discovered that my old boss was a lot nicer than my new one with regards to free time.

Xillion
03-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I've been studying recently and with the upcoming challenge there's not much left for anything else. I always peek at the most interesting topics though (I would have died to do the tarots but I was under heavy exams) but please keep them coming, even if only one person partecipates it's worth doing it and a pleasure to see!!!

mahir
03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm a big advocate of the DSF and try to check it every so often even if I don't have time to do a sketch myself. I also feel that regular practice is good for honing my skills. I'm just bogged down with school assignments right now at least till end March.
In addition I also noticed the themed topics and although some are quite interesting, there are others which I did not particularly care about (e.g. magazine covers) and then there are those which are repeat topics I've attempted before or didn't take a fancy the 1st time around. Chalk up another who prefers the randomness in topics versus the weekly themed runs. Maybe make the themes looser in nature?

I'm not quitting DSF entirely that's for sure. I'll still definitely try to participate more often whenever I can.

Overchord
03-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I've tried to be as active as possible.
While the Theme's are great fun - I find that if I miss one or two it becomes quite hard to get back into them - i kinda then feel that the series won't be "complete" for me anyway.

elmasfeo
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM
I had never seen threads go by with just 2 or 3 replies, that's why I posted a pair of sketches the other day... the DSF is still my favourite corner of the internet, and it was something to worry about...
For me personally the themed sketches have worn me out a little. The reason I started with DSG was it kept my mind going with new sketches totally random every day. The themed drawings changed daily but the whole concept was a repeat of the last day.
That's just me personally.

I agree with you there, for me the thematic weeks are like repeating the same topic 7 days... there are people who enjoys them though...

...and some days that I could've had the time for a sketch, the topic just didn't call me, that's probably just personal, maybe I'm getting more selective with what I want to paint :D

(+ exams + busy + new challenge + there are only 24h each day and only 7 days per week... but I guess that's always been there)

edit: I've just increased the font size of my signature... maybe a bit more of advertising?

keight
03-03-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm mostly a lurker these days, but, just about the time the Olympics got started participation on several art sites slacked off, so I don't there's that big a problem here.

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 01:55 AM
I'm sorry Roberto. I love doing these every day but it is really hard when I've got so many other things that I need to do to get paid. Teaching students takes a lot of work and some weeks (such as the past few weeks) as well as my freelance gigs have left little to no time to doodle. I've mainly taken all of my spare time to devote to the cgchallenge and another image I am working on in 3D.

Sometimes I do not post images but I am still around looking at all the sketches. I promise you that I am on cgtalk every day hitting my usual spots, DSF being one of them. I do not want this forum to die. I will attempt to put more images in because it is one thing I love to do.

- Andrew

MechaHateChimp
03-03-2006, 02:34 AM
I've been pretty slammed lately and I'm also consuming myself with the 2D/3D challenge. The fact that Ive been trying to learn zbrush inside out for the last two weeks hasnt helped either. I'll be in and out of the sketch group the next couple of weeks and will work on different sketches as time permits, however, you can count me in for the Dune sketches. I have a mild obsession with that movie. :)

Dargon
03-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Coming up on E3...

ButchMakora
03-03-2006, 10:43 AM
imho, we have several reasons for that problem:

1. spring - people lost their energy during winter and waiting for the sun, wait a month - you'll see - there will be a great activities here ;) impressed by sun and burning-sexual-blood ;)
2. week themes - interesting idea, but rather often i loose interest after first couple of days. i think we need week-themes for the sketching, fut 1-2 week each month. it's more interesting and fun to have a surprise each day - what shall we paint...

anyway - even when i have no time for painting - i have time for reading this forum. "Long live for DSF!"

Overchord
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
It seems that there are quite a few people who's "run dry" on the theme sessions.
Could I suggest that we perhaps disperse the theme-sessions over a longer period perhaps?
For example, rather than doing a full week of Tarot cards we'd have 1-3 tarot card topics plus some of the random ones as well.
I think that a block of themed topics draws participation down for two reasons:
1) The participants that are drawing the first ones either run dry/feel its repeating or miss one and don't get back into the theme.
2) Newcommers/less freuqnet participants are deterred from the sessions because people may think you have to submit to all of them.

If the themes were dispersed over longer periods we could basically run it as usual with SOTW, but once all the sessions in the Theme has been completed (in a month or two), there could be a section/vote on the best series in the theme (a bit like the Calendar, only on a slightly longer time-scale).

Anyway, jsut my 0.000002p :shrug:

Her0d
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah, maybe stretching the 'theme thing' over i.e. a month (but just one day in a week, let's say for example: 'Tarot Mondays') would help?
And about topic randomization - some time ago, somewhere on the internet I found a pretty nice mechanism used to generate crazy topics (it was written for 'short form contest' forum, but it fits quite well here too, i think).
Here (http://herod.webd.pl/dsg/dsg.html) is the quick swf i did today, to show how it worked (as far as I remember).
(all the categories and stuff are really random things that came to my mind, the whole thing is just a sketch of the idea :)

Pinoy McGee
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
What's goin on?

Too many projects too little time. I don't have a problem with the recent topics. Very interested with the Dino with gun one actually. I just know if I do something for that fun topic I'll end up spending a couple hours or more on a composition. :shrug:

TheTon
03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Roberto, I think the main problem the DSF is facing is - competition!

This fantastic site has grown so much over the past year or so that I think people just don't have the time to participate any more...

I mean you have the amazing Challenges which eat up a few months at a time, you have the equally amazing Open Figure Workshops with Rebeccak, then there's the 15 minute sketchathon thread, the Speed paints thread, the endless list of members antaomy threads... Then of course you have the CGS Members threads - whence lurks the leviathon CGSociety Photo / WIP Exchange thread... All of which help to do what the daily sketch forum was designed to do - get us practicing...

And all that's without even browsing at the fantastic stuff coming from the WIP and finished art threads..

Therein I feel lies the problem Roberto... How we rise above it is one for the Marketeers amongst us who can put more gusto into the great service you offer...

hmmm so lets see... we'll need a budget... We can get some TV ads done, a global door drop, some subway posters, a viral email campaign, and some hot chicks in bikinis giving away free Wacom tablets and rubbing themselves with baby oil then top it all off with a DSF LIVE WORLD TOUR!

OK! You get the cash - I'll get the baby oil! Any ladies willing to participate should contact either Roberto or myself... :drool:

SoniaNotRed
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm on the verge of declaring my imagination oficially dead... No matter how good the topic all get is a blank. That's why I've been turning to the Anatomy Forum - all I have to do there is copy stuff.
I put up an add in my sig. Hope it helps a little. :)

TobyArt
03-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I think The Ton has a great idea! I'm in!

aelwine
03-04-2006, 12:42 PM
On my side it's mostly a lack of time, and also a bit of motivation. Although I found some of the recent topics really interesting, and I hate myself for missing Tarot week, when you come back exhausted at 9-10pm almost everyday it's a bit hard to find the energy to sketch something good ^^;;

About the thematic week problem, I must admit that when you miss some days, it's harder to sketch only 1 pic. I would have loved to participate in the Tarot, yet I don't have enough time to do all of them during the week, thus I didn't do any 'cause I didn't know which one to chose (plus I was being lazy :D )

LoTekK
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Roberto, I think the main problem the DSF is facing is - competition!

Open Figure Workshops with Rebeccak, then there's the 15 minute sketchathon thread,...the endless list of members antaomy threads...

Therein I feel lies the problem Roberto...
The irony of this, of course, is that Rebecca was convinced (I could say harassed, but I'll refrain :scream: ) to start those up by none other than our beloved DSG forum leader himself. :D

blah blah blah hot chicks in bikinis blah blah rubbing themselves with baby oil blah blah DSF LIVE WORLD TOUR!
Huh? Whazzat? Did someone say hot chicks with bikinis and baby oil? Make sure the world tour stops by Singapore! :D

Lokiwolf
03-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Being that I am new here in posting but have been watching for awhile. I can see what some people are saying. I think that the daily posts need to be very random each day and not reflect what came the day before.
Just an opinion

offbeatworlds
03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, I have been busy, I haven't been participating for a few months now, though I should get back into it, it helped so much. I stopped participating mostly cause I'm not liking the topics too much, they're too...juvenile, I guess, for my taste. I prefer more mature, mysterious, fantastic sort of topics. But that's just why I haven't participated. I haven't really been checking the topics lately either. :/

RobertoOrtiz
03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, I have been busy, I haven't been participating for a few months now, though I should get back into it, it helped so much. I stopped participating mostly cause I'm not liking the topics too much, they're too...juvenile, I guess, for my taste. I prefer more mature, mysterious, fantastic sort of topics. But that's just why I haven't participated. I haven't really been checking the topics lately either. :/

My freind I can see your point.
Please if you have some cool topic ideas, post them here:
Daily Sketch Forum Topic Suggestions (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=145003)

-R

djtrousdale
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Yep, I'm late as always...

I don't know if anyone feels the same way I do, but I feel intimidated at the DSG. It is supposed to be a place for critique, but I hardly ever get it when I do contribute an idea. This makes my effort seem worthless. (The intimidation factor comes from the fact that a select few have the ability to win people over with amazing aesthetics, leaving the rest in the dust...)

Now I probably have no room to talk, unless I take some of my own advice (which I'll try to do) but I'm wondering if this is contributing to the lack of activity.

Shutting up now.

Nazirull
03-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Yep, I'm late as always...

I don't know if anyone feels the same way I do, but I feel intimidated at the DSG. It is supposed to be a place for critique, but I hardly ever get it when I do contribute an idea. This makes my effort seem worthless. (The intimidation factor comes from the fact that a select few have the ability to win people over with amazing aesthetics, leaving the rest in the dust...)

Now I probably have no room to talk, unless I take some of my own advice (which I'll try to do) but I'm wondering if this is contributing to the lack of activity.

Shutting up now.

I have learned how to live around that, friend...i know i cant get the attention as a newbie, but we do have some people who will respond to our enquiry. I found that the 'select few' power circle is not for me so i got a circle of my own where i really belong. thats good enough for me.

Hey wanna join me?

Milho
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Well it looks like the weekly themes are not helping alot. I also think that they came in too often lately. When you don't like a topic you skip it and see whats up on the next day, but when you don't like a weekly topic then you have to wait for a week. The idea is nice but they should really come in rarely.

For me that's not the reason why I didn't participate for long. Actually personally I think I'm not good enough to paint what I visualize in my head. I belive that it won't just pop in and accidently I'm a skilled painter. I have to paint more from references so I try to join Speed Paints more often where I can train with stuff I have references of.
As soons as I think I might be "good enough" to get on the canvas what I imagined of I'll be the first one to post regulary!

Feel sorry though. :sad:

Sagii
03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
For me its been lack of time. I wanted to do a daily sketch everyday and did so all january and half of feb but then i just did not have to the time to spend an hour or more sketchng daily. I really want to there just havent been enough hours in a day.

Milho
03-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I feel you ,too InesD. Where's the thread again where one could vote for a 27 hours day :deal:

Mu
03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
It is supposed to be a place for critique, but I hardly ever get it when I do contribute an idea.

I have been thinking about this a lot and have come to the conclusion that this simply is a misunderstanding as critique is actually not what the DSG is meant for. It does not lend itself to workshop-like tweaking of works, too.

The DSG, as I see it by now, is like a team meeting with a brainstorming session. Important rules for brainstorming are:

- quick work
- no critique

In order to just churn out ideas (and get really good at churning out ideas in the long run) you just push people, you don't stop them. Stopping people and pointing out their weaknesses is critical for a successful workshop or for serious studies.

For a brainstorming it is fatal.

Long story short:

wanna have fun, present your ideas, learn to be creative at a given signal, see great art from others?

Come to the DSG.

Wanna improve, learn, study, get critique, tweak your works according to it, for days on end if needed?

Come to the Anatomy Forum if it is figurative art - otherwise WIP2D main forum.

djtrousdale
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Very well put :wise:

robinayles
03-06-2006, 10:22 PM
that's true what you are saying about critique - but I think if a member would like comments here in the DSF we should allow for that too

I do miss the days when we had pages and pages and pages of entries each day, tho. I found it inspiring.

To those who feel like you "aren't good enough" - pish posh! That's the whole point, practice your craft. Learn from what others are doing. Like an effect? Ask them how they did it. This place is full of amazing people who share techniques and even their custom brushes!
Just sketch and post...after a while you will be amazed at your own progress. I guarantee it.

Of course, my problem lately is time, time time....how do we get that 27 hour day thing going???

elmasfeo
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
sad post, djtrousdale, but good to see you're still posting sketches... I know that feeling of "not being listened" but I don't think it's anymore than a bad moment, I mean, there's not so much people commenting each others at this moment, it's not just you...

so, ok, this is not a place for heavy crits as Mr Mu well says, but it doesn't cost that much to write two words to other sketchers imo... people nowadys just post their sketches and go away, and that community feeling might be getting a bit lost.... (maybe I'm not a good example of commenting others neither, and I'm sorry)
...This is just a personal idea, but I think that the DSF can be what you make out of it... if you comment others, people will comment you, and if you don't like the topics, you can suggest what you want in the suggestions' thread... it's not like something fixed...

And now, DJ, I feel I just have to comment your pic at "5 characters...", hehehe.... I like how you placed your characters and the look in their faces :thumbsup: though you broke the topic a little, hehe

PS: 27h are not enough.
disclaimer: This post might be influenced by lack of sleep *zzzzzZZZZZ....*

Milho
03-07-2006, 02:28 AM
To those who feel like you "aren't good enough" - pish posh! That's the whole point, practice your craft.

Like I said, my very own personal opinion is that drawing from scratch wont take me there were I want to go, cause there is "nothing on the scratch". I would encourage everyone to paint as much as possible and DSF is the perfect place for a daily painting motivation.
But on my course I need a break to practice more on refrences... Still will come in from time to time... like today ;)

CodeNothing
03-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I always try to visit and see the work everyone does, but i unfortunatly almost never have time. I think that with the new challenge here i will probably be posting here more as 'warm up' sketches on weekends and evenings that im not exausted from work. :arteest:

also I prefer to work on DSG topics that are open to interpitation. Topics like "red" "anger" or "romance" have always been among my favorates. But specifics can be a good challenge too.

Ill try and be around more often. :cry:

Sneakybunny
03-08-2006, 01:59 AM
im still around and always visiting just alittle busy + a bad cold so i'll be back soon. Also the cg challenge cant be helping

Darksuit
03-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Its been hell at work since i started almost 6 months ago. Constant work, work, work... however i think things are starting to settle down, at least for the moment that I can get some sketches in and maybe even get some time to work on the challenge. I wasn't able to finish the last one due to starting work. =)

KahlanAmnell
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
The changing of seasons will do that.
No worries, I am sure it will pick back up shortly

mybutterflyiris
03-13-2006, 02:23 AM
Well, I think everyone here has really valuable points. I agree with alot of what has been posted. And I too have noticed the drop in participation and wondered why. Drop in participation can itself drop participation unfortunately. It can especially turn off newer members who are looking for a place to plug in.
On a personal note, I have been gone for two weeks because I was really really sick for a week, and then I went out of town for a week.... so yeah. :hmm:

...This is just a personal idea, but I think that the DSF can be what you make out of it... if you comment others, people will comment you, and if you don't like the topics, you can suggest what you want in the suggestions' thread... it's not like something fixed...

I also feel you hit something here. I have noticed that the suggestion thread isn't getting much action lately. And what Mr. Mu said was awesome as well.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2006, 02:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.