PDA

View Full Version : Noob help with WIND MAG expression

wezil
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey all!

I feel i bit lame asking, compared to wots being asked here...
But i'm looking for an expression that could change a WIND FIELD'S magnitude, speed, direction, attenuation and such in a realistic manner over time.
I'm basically looking for something to simulate wind blowing a flag(cloth).

I think i've seen the expression before, it's pretty short and sweet. I just can't get the wind to oscilate smoothly, like well, ya.... :shrug:

Hope u guys can help:)
Thanks in advance!
Wez

apoc519
03-02-2006, 05:59 PM
for the speed and magnitude you might try noise

something like

noise(time);

which will give you a smooth variations of random numbers between -1 and 1. Now you can fancy it up with something like

(1 + (noise(time)) /2;

this will give you random between 0-1. You can then multiply the time to get faster variations of random numbers and multiply the whole thing to get a greater range of random numbers.

(1 + (noise(time * 3)) /2) * 10;

the variations will happen three times faster now and the random range is now 0-10

wezil
03-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Hey APoc,
Thanks for the reply, i made a post in the MEL forum and nobody knows. What you wrote makes sense, i'll give it a try!

Thanks again:thumbsup:

preeya
03-05-2006, 07:21 AM
jus try wind in syflex cloth.
tis veyr simple n veyr natural look
regards
preeya

RaGzMaN
03-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Or look into softbodies

wezil
03-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, i just wanted to say thanks and let you know that i managed to figure it out. The one very important thing that was missing was an animated turbulance field.

Thanks again!

Wez

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2006, 08:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.