PDA

View Full Version : questions about mocap rigging

gunslingerblack
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
hey guys, i did a search and couldn't find anything that answered the questions i had.

we recently got a project in that deals with all mocap, so far i have no example rig to go with

we are rigging in maya and then the skeletons will be transferred to motionbuilder out of studio for the motion capture application.

how should i go about rigging for mocap?

what joints should be included/not included and naming conventions? use them or no?

anything else you can think of would be helpful as we just need to rig and weight the characters.

thanks in advance

-chris-

Robken
03-02-2006, 05:54 PM
the only thing I can tell you is that most motion capture data requires your skeleton to have the Y axis as the twisting axis, whereas normally most people have the X axis as the twisting axis.

I hope that helps, at least a bit :)

antweiler
03-02-2006, 05:59 PM
its a good idea to use MBs naming conventions from the beginning, it makes characterizing very easy. Mayas Full Body IK uses the same conventions

john_homer
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
ask the people doing the mocap exactly what they need first as things like "y-down" will turn out to be very important..

ask them for an example skeleton.. ie. a basic biped skeleton they have used

then build your rig around that making sure everything will transfer.

.j

john_homer
03-02-2006, 08:08 PM
btw.. as far as naming conventions go...

definatly!
I would say its more important to have all joints named exactly the same between all your characters than any particular "naming convention". although you still should have a good one ;^)

I say this because its possible you will be writing scripts to deal will stuff that comes up, and you will be very happy if you can just automate it...

I would recommend you script the creation of all rigs and mocap skeletons.. thats what I did.

.j

gunslingerblack
03-03-2006, 01:00 AM
yeah right now we're working on getting an example rig, i have to check with my boss to see if we actually got it in an email yet but, i figure that if i had an example skeleton the task would be simple sauce so, we'll see

thanks for your help

animationrigs
03-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Your going to want to be able to animate offsets as well as potentially give animators full control of various parts.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2006, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.