PDA

View Full Version : stretchy bones with human character riggs?

virtualmesh
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
I've taken a few days off from work to concentrate on further development for my human cg-rigg and was wondering if there's an advantage to allowing the bones to stretch along an IK leg?

I can imagine instances where one would want to animate a cartoon like character using a bone stretch affect but cannot imagine where one would want to stretch a human cg-like character that has rotational limits matching to real-world skeletonal and human kinetic contraints.

What are your thoughts on this from a rigging pov ?

joconnell
03-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Well it means that you can push a pose slightly further, and if you're using a reverse foot rig where the foot rig is in a seperate bone chain from the leg, it'll stop the ankle tearing apart if the foot moves slightly too far.

eek
03-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I find this quite interesting too - if ive got a human proportioned rig, i dont tend to add stretch. It just doesnt seem to work. Breaking of joints and bendbones is all fine though. But yes good point John, for fixing planting issues - its good to just over stretch the legs arms when needed.

virtualmesh
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
thanks for the feedback

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.