PDA

View Full Version : RedHat announces plans to support Linux on Intel-based Macs

Rhs_CG
03-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Arstechnica reports of an annoucnement by RedHat that they would like to support Linux on Intel-Mac hardware. Although at the time they didnt even have a machine, it does look promising. Go here (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060125-6045.html) to read the story. (It is a month old, but no one mentioned it here AFAIK.)

I personally think it would be great to be able to run cg apps that support linux, but not OS X on the same machine. It would probably mean more for laptop users, as lugging two laptons is a bit inconvenient.

Rhs_CG
03-02-2006, 03:26 AM
I found also a story about some guys that started already. Looks like they've got something going, nothing stable yet, but here (http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/16/linux-boots-on-intel-imacs/) you go.

Beamtracer
03-02-2006, 04:49 AM
It will be a difficult decision for Maya users. Will you boot into Mac OS X, Windows or Linux on your MacBook?
Linux provides another avenue for XSI to run on the Intel Macs.

koexistens
03-02-2006, 06:10 AM
And we can run Houdini too! Hooray!

/Max

fezz
03-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Linux provides another avenue for XSI to run on the Intel Macs.

No it doesn't, do a little reading.

Apoclypse
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Why wouldn't the linux version of XSi run on mac-intel hardware as far as I know the only difference between the macintel and a regular x86 machine is the efi stuff, which is preventing other oses from booting not. I may be wrong but I think XSI and Maya will most definately run if linux is botted on to a macintel machine, its still an x86 machine just prettier.

"No it doesn't, do a little reading."

When you write statements like thart you should either back it up with a link, so that we could all "do a little reading" or give us the info you are so graciously coveting to yourself.
Don't mean to sound mean or anything, but that was a little insulting even to me and statements like these should be followed by facts or soemthing.

fezz
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
http://www.xsi-blog.com/?p=80

Second to last paragraph

KayosIII
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't see how that would preclude running XSI. Since the Intel Apple would basically be an Intel Linux Machine... A platform which XSI already supports. This being practical of course depends on the graphics hardware being capable and having good linux drivers.

chadtheartist
03-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Ummm... he's refering to running Linux executables in OS X, not running Linux itself. Linux runs just fine on PPC Macs, and I assume it will run just as well on Intel based Macs. If Redhat Linux is brought to the Intel Macs, most software that requires Redhat should work on them, including XSI, because at that point it will be exactly the same as a PC. (Well, EFI not withstanding)

Now getting XSI to run in OS X, that's a different story altogether. :D

The Mac may tout a unix kernel, but people are not buying it as a unix machine : the main user interface is the one offered through the Cocoa and Carbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_%28API%29)API, and not X Windows as it is the case on on Unix workstations, and there is a whole user experience that people are buying it for. The binary interface is also not the same: you won’t be able to take linux executablesand run them on your Mac Intel machine. So stop dreaming.

Beamtracer
03-02-2006, 01:20 PM
No it doesn't, do a little reading.
I've done a little reading, and I believe that it will be possible to run XSI on an Intel Mac under Linux. This Red Hat announcement will make it an easy process.

It could be a dual boot situation, with OS X and Linux both installed. I think that would be a nice good combination.

The EFI issue has been solved a few days ago. I think that Gentoo Linux engineers might have been the first to do it. So expect most of the main Linux distros to be released for Intel Macs very soon.

GaryHaus
03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Correct! He was referring to not being able to run it under os x.

G

Rhs_CG
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
But being able to boot into linux to use xsi/maya/houdini/whatever would be sweet. Yeah, there are lots of factors, such as video cards, but I see it as a huge advantage. That way, mac users dont have to buy another machine to use non OS X apps.

There isnt a time frame for this, but if it happens soon, before Autodesk makes Maya for Mac a universal binary, this could allow intel-mac users to get around the rosetta translation step. I'd jump for that in a heartbeat.

Apoclypse
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks. however the link says that they won't get XSi to run in carbon or cocoa, meaning this is about not being able to run xsi under macosx not linux on a macintel machine. There is a difference between the two OSs. So when beamtracer says now we can run XSi on a macintel machine, he really implying it will be under linux. Don't mean to be insulting but I think maybe you should "do a little reading" yourselfe. Sorry.

fezz
03-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, currently XSI 5.0 fails to install on a MacBook Pro with Linux...how's that for not running? I was discounting Beamtracer's statement that "Linux proivides another avenue (was there a first?) for XSI to run on the Mac" because currently it does not.

Rezonance
03-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Goodness why do people like you have to join? I am sick of forums with obnoxious "think they know it alls". You could have made your point without being condescending and insulting. People like you just bring good forums like this down.

Since you do know sooooo much would you mind explaining why XSI would not run on a MacBook pro running Linux, which is basically a standard PC which boots off EFI and has DRM that enables it to run OSX? Can you explain why this would be different? You do know that in that link you posted, when the author says 'Mac' he means Mac OSX and to an application running under Linux, the MacbookPro hardware and PC hardware are identical?

The reason that there is a problem running XSI on Macs at the moment is because of the differing operating system not because the new Macs and PCs are intrinsically different. The problems listed in the article are all realted to the Linux Kernel and the difference between X-windows (Linux) and Cocoa&Carbon (MacOSX) and all of these problems vanish once a Mac is Running Linux.

One more time... the problem with running XSI on a Mac is an OS level problem which does not exist if the Mac is running linux.

Beamtracer
03-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, currently XSI 5.0 fails to install on a MacBook Pro with Linux...how's that for not running?
As other people have said, the main difference between the hardware on the new Macs compared to the generic PC boxes, with the exception of the EFI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface), which is used for booting, and replaces the older BIOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS). Soon, all generic PCs will also use EFI for booting.

The other issue with Linux is that there are many variations, or "flavors"/distributions. Major software vendors like Autodesk or Avid will usually specify one of the commercial distributions, such as Red Hat Linux.

Now that the EFI issue has been solved, the other Linux distros will come out fairly rapidly with MacTel enabled versions. Red Hat's release for Intel Macs is imminent, and XSI will run on it. (I'm not an XSI user, so no, I haven't / won't be trying it myself)

I was discounting Beamtracer's statement that "Linux proivides another avenue (was there a first?) for XSI to run on the Mac"The other avenue will be Windows Vista, which supports the new PCs with EFI, and should run on the new Intel Macs. Another avenue will be Windows XP, as soon as someone has created an EFI booter for it, which will probably be just weeks away.

fezz
03-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Who's condescending here? Do a little digging around and anyone can read up on this very subject and learn the facts instead of just idly speculating and announcing that as truth as Beamtracer did. Someone casually reading his post might run off and assume that a new Intel Mac will allow them to run XSI... can anyone say for sure it does? Anyway, if you don't believe me, go ahead and try it yourself. I hate these silly forum squabbles so I'm going to quit reading now. And Rezonance, your observations on the Intel Macs are not eniterly accurate either.

Chaz
03-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Beamtracer's pretty famous for posting his uniformed speculations. Heck, he's doing it right now in another thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3294933&postcount=34). How can you know for sure that XSI runs on these new machines when you haven't even tried it?

Apoclypse
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I haven't tried installing xsi on linux since 4.2. So no I can't say it will work. However a pc is a pc and linux is linux, once linux boots its the same all around. The reason that they couldn't install XSi on linux was the most likely reason that it wasn't a redhat system. I'm not trying to be codescending, I don't know sh*t, nor do I try to be holier than thou with this stuff. I just think that you passing along misinformation without being informed yourself. Maybe I 'm wrong, who knows. But i really doubt that a redhat installed on a macbook pro wouldn't work.
What I got from beamtracers post was that IF redhat gets their distro to work on a macbook then he will be able to run all the said programs, because all the major 3d app that have linux versions usually have redhat as the supported distro. So the rpoblem here is only getting the thing to boot, they will most likey not have to recompile much, if anything in terms of a new architecture. XSI is a bad example, it isn't the best linux install either. However, like I said an x86 is an x86 and linux is linux. Its like saying if you put windows on a core duo it won't let you install XSI, its not gonna happen if windows is running, then everythign else should work as intended.

Rezonance
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Who's condescending here? Do a little digging around and anyone can read up on this very subject and learn the facts instead of just idly speculating and announcing that as truth as Beamtracer did.
:curious:But in all your reading you have not been able to provide a single article that justifies your point that a MacBookPro running Linux could not run XSI. You have quite insultingly shot some one down ("do a little reading" is condescending). You mistakenly posted an article regarding OSX trying to run XSI. So far Beamtracer has more of a point then you do.

Someone casually reading his post might run off and assume that a new Intel Mac will allow them to run XSI... can anyone say for sure it does?
Nope no body can 100% say for sure that it does and in the same way that you cannot (as you do) 100% say for sure that it wont. So far all the evidence stacks up in favour of it working but no where in the thread does it say that it is tried and tested.

Anyway, if you don't believe me, go ahead and try it yourself. Sure, send me a MacBookPro and a licensed copy of XSI and I would :shrug:

I hate these silly forum squabbles so I'm going to quit reading now.
If you hate these forum squabbles, dont start them. You could make your point respectfully by posting what you think and why. A link to a relevant article and a clearly put point would be so much more helpful then "do a little reading"

And Rezonance, your observations on the Intel Macs are not eniterly accurate either. See he has done it again! You make a statement without even a shred of evidence! Back up what you say with a link or a well reasoned point. I might be wrong about them but simply saying I am wrong and not saying why adds absolutely nothing to this discussion.

Beamtracer
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
The issue revolves around the Linux distributions bringing out their full Linux versions for Intel Macs. When Red Hat is soon officially released for Intel Mac, it will work.

Debate the issue. Disagree if you want. List the reasons you disagree. Discuss the points. It makes a lot more sense to do it that way, rather than just slamming other forum members without offering insight into the topic of the thread.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.