PDA

View Full Version : Particles painting surface?

duke
03-02-2006, 12:38 AM
I swear there was a thread on this before but couldn't find it (searched NT boards, spinquad, here). Is there a way to have a particle from a particle emitter leave a mark on a surface (wether it be pre-rendered/baked or whatever)?

PixelInfected
03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
uhm i think there are many way, you can stich particles on surface, you can create an emitter that create particle only at collision (particles that are the paint on surface) with surface, there are some free and commercial shader that allow to paint on surface with null and more.

PentamiterBeast
03-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Off the top of my head, Id say you could add a gradient to whatever channel you like in the surface set to distance to object, referencing a null, then use FX linker to tag the nulls onto the particles. I would think you'll have to add an extra instance of the gradient for each null object used.

Whilst this would probably work, Im sure there's probably far easier ways of doing it, I just wouldnt know em.

duke
03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Far out, so obvious. That's perfect PentamiterBeast, except instead ill spawn new particles at the surface, and clone the nulls on those, otherwise particles from the main emitter that merely skim the surface will paint it which i dont want.

wwade
03-03-2006, 02:20 AM
was I dreamin or is was something called paint splat mentioned - as an upcomming feature of LW 9.

Goes to do search on paint splat.

mav3rick
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
yes it will be in lw9 and for more info u can check it out at tuff little unit web site
splatter gun

toonafish
03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Some Nulls parented to your particles and "Surface Effectors", would do the trick I think.

essencedesign
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
You could also reference a procedural texture layer to the null that is hitting you obj. ( set your collision to stick) set world co-ords, and play with the falloff on the proced.layer to get the size of "paint splat" you want. You would then need to add a new copy of that layer for each null, and change the reference obj. accordingly.

kevman3d
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I've also got an LScript shader that paints onto a surface where PFX hit - Some bugs need fixing in it, but you can download an (old) beta of it here:

http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=layout

The name is 'Spraycan' - Includes a tiny Quicktime movie to show it working - Just paints a colour in this LScript, but I did have plans for it... Though those got a little forgotten! :)

I think from memory I also included the LS file for this on the '1001 Tips and Tricks' CD rom for people who bought the book to use as an LScript educational resource. I could be wrong, but I think I did... Hmmm...

Kev.

HowardM
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
old, but this may help you out...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=236342&highlight=particle

Download the Dandruf plugin... ;)

essencedesign
03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
After trying all of the idea's we came up with in that thread, the old null with a falloff was the most effective, although also very time consuming when dealing with alot of particles.

Acid works good and is easy but we found when the "hits" would over lap, the edges would be harsh, and sometimes needed some hand painting in comp....

Hey Howard i got some vids for ya finally , I'll send them your way this weekend..
:P

HowardM
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Cool Jer! Love to see em!

Yep, the null and layers is the only way to go it seems...so again, after seeing all these lscripts that are almost there, who is going to top it off and make one that fully works?

With the Dandruf.ls in my post above, the only real issue left is a way to clone all the layers correctly, although its 90% there....either way it helps out alot...

Kevman, think you can hack it?

kevman3d
03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
SprayCan I wrote in 2003 - I know the flaws, and I know why it crashes... I just never got around to working on it again after punching out that quicky demo (much like many projects I have in my 'HDD" vault of 'get back to it one day' files... lol! :twisted: )

Shouldn't be a hard project to polish up a little more - Lemme go dig it up again and see...

Kev.

duke
03-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Kev this plugin is great! I've managed to get a full 400 frames out of it with no problems, although I'll up the motion blur to an ungodly amount to get rid of the popping ;)

HowardM
03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I cant find the .ls unfortunately, so is it possible to read a .lsc correctly, like with a hex editor or something?

If not, can someone figure out how to recreate this script?

It basically takes a layer that the user has setup and clones it, reassigns the reference null to a new null its created...then you simply FXlink all the nulls and it works...again DarkOmen couldnt figure out how to properly clone the layers, and I believe he was simply making new ones from scratch...

really would like this to work...
:D

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.