PDA

View Full Version : Still life: Fishing Lure

phishmann
12-14-2002, 06:18 AM
here it is again i guess it wasnt up to par with the monitors standards.

Anyway in case u didnt see my last thread i am a newbie that has been working with this program for about 3.5 months and this is my 4th completed project.

wgreenlee1
12-14-2002, 06:34 AM
Very cool!
What programs are you useing?
The shadows seem to be a little too soft but looking good!

tariel
12-14-2002, 07:11 AM
nice render!
pretty interesting!
But i think that the water on the background looks a bit smudged or like it's covered with ice, in my opinion.

But anyways, it's good!:thumbsup:

Array
12-14-2002, 08:00 AM
nice start :) i think some caustics would help a LOT though, preferably some volume caustics. keep it up :beer:

eunuchbot
12-14-2002, 08:10 AM
awesome realistic up until the lure itself and the water being so plassid [sic]. the lure has no real shadow on the rock, plus it's sharper than everthing else in the scene

Array
12-14-2002, 08:17 AM
LOL @ enuch :) quality avatar!

phishmann
12-14-2002, 03:11 PM
thanks for the replies i appriciate it

wgreenlee1: im using maya 4.0 unlimited

tariel: I see what you mean by the water being smudged out. i was trying to go for a fog affect coming from the water, but i guess ill have to work on that a bit.

Array: im not sure what you mean by caustics im pretty new at this so could you explain it to me?

Eunuchbot: hah like your avatar! i see what you mean by there being such a difference between the lure and rocks. i think i will have to work on the hooks a little. thnxs

:beer: :thumbsup:

LordShaitan
12-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Eh eunuchbot's bot avatar is ok :)

The picture is almost grey scale, very washed out. Also everythign is very clean, you might want to dirty it up a bit to make it more belivable.

With out a good shadow on the hooks, they look like they dont belong there. Godd stuff though.

Array
12-14-2002, 08:45 PM
well this isnt maya specific, but it may help, ill try to find some more tutorials:

http://www.cbode.de/misc/tutorials/caustics/caustics.htm

edit:

forgot to explain what caustics are, heheh. Well a caustic is a concentration of light due to refraction or inner reflection. A good example of this is a magnifying glass, one can focus the glass that the caustic becomes so intense that it can burn objects. An example of inner reflection caustics is when one places a ring onto a table, one can see concentrated light in the middle of the ring. you see these things all the time, and a big part of learning 3d is building up a visual vocabulary. right now your probably at a point saying to yourself "hmmm....that looks OK, but something isnt right". eventually you'll be telling yourself immediatly what is not right and how to fix it :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.