PDA

View Full Version : Boston City Hall

scottwaddell
03-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi.
This image is a perspective of an architecture project I've worked on. It isn't a very compelling image, so I was hoping for some advice to quickly improve it before I throw it in a portfolio. (I don't have time to add lots of details and textures.) Thanks for any advice.

Scott

scottwaddell
03-04-2002, 09:59 AM
oops. It didn't attach for some reason.
Scott

Ls3D
03-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi Scott,

Add some secondary light sources and setup about a dozen cameras (tighter shots too)- shoot it like photography. Some slow, short pans might make for nice movies.

Other than that there are no quick fixes, a colorfull sky would probably look out of place for example. You could play with some LIGHT raytracing (subtle reflections), to add detail, if your box can handle the renders. Experiment.

-Shea
www.ls3d.com/

Leonard
03-04-2002, 12:06 PM
Microbevel those edges.

Create soft shadows using area lights or global illumination.

scottwaddell
03-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Thanks.
Those shadows definitely need softening. Leonard: what do you mean by "microbeveling" those edges? Do you mean adding geometry to round the corners of those buildings?
Scott

Leonard
03-05-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by scottwaddell
Thanks.
Those shadows definitely need softening. Leonard: what do you mean by "microbeveling" those edges? Do you mean adding geometry to round the corners of those buildings?
Scott

Yes - but don't make it so obvious that the building becomes a chamfer box. You just want to get the edges to catch a hint of highlights when at a correct angle to the light source.

One of the biggest giveaways for any image is the hard-edged CG look.

Take a look at this tutorial (http://www.menithings.com/How/PhotoReal1/Photoreal1_Main.html).

Best,

Leo

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.