PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Raine Kuusi

R-K
03-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Raine Kuusi is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10104)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: color correction
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10104/10104_1141512089_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3304321#post3304321)

beelow
03-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Welcome back, Raine! Good luck dude!:thumbsup:

R-K
03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10104/10104_1141303550_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10104/10104_1141303550_large.jpg)

ok the basic idea is that the girl (yes, it's a human) reads books and by the power of imagination actually gets to live every adventure she reads of. That stupid cloud thing on foreground is supposed to depict her.. dreaming her way to the world of books.. [lame] Now she's off to sail with Vikings!

I kinda like the idea though, power of imagination should not be underestimated, just close your eyes and dream!

ok you would have never guessed that :D

FrozZT
03-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey! Welcome to the challenge! :)

Lovely atmosphere, and a wonderful idea too, and like i suspect you already figured, your image needs some more hints about it being a "dream/imagination".. Very nice sketch anyway!

Good luck and have fun!

Cyberone
03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
great start!!

love the depth and mood already!!

ill keep watching!

Great!

CYB

umbrellasky
03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Hiya! nice start, I like the idea :)

Good luck with the challenge!

MichaelZHsee
03-02-2006, 01:11 PM
nice start ranath~the mood is great
best wishes in the challenge:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-02-2006, 01:17 PM
What would make it even better would be if she wasn't 'in the cloud', but in a house, say, in a armchair with a lamp or side table? and the environment slowly slipping into cloud?

(One of my concepts is rather similar to this one, lol, except it has a 'creature' indicating the journey through to the afterlife.)

zachlost
03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
The depth of field achieved by tonal variations is quite stunning. It definitely draws you into the lighter tone, questioning what is out there. I look forward to see if the characters in the image are fleshed out to be more emotive, communicating their feelings about this
pending journey.

slickgreekgeo
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Very interesting concept, looking forward to see how this progresses.

Pawlack
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Very strong concept. I agree about the cloud. It doesn't look strange, just a foggy day, I wouldnt guess it's a dream of this girl. As always you have created great mood, and awesome depth to picture, keep it up ;)

Good luck

rkeith0275
03-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I like the concept. My take on the artist in the page is that all of us put so much of ourselves in our work so why not put ourselves actually in it and that not only is she depicting the journey for the "vikings" but perhaps her journey undertaking this challenge. Looking forward to following your process.

iamawizard
03-02-2006, 03:53 PM
have already got a great atmosphere

good luck

KrotArt
03-02-2006, 04:05 PM
a good idea very
inspiration to you
:)

Squibbit
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
hey that's a pretty cool pic

aharnett
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Cool atmosphere!

sirBS
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
The scale stage is planned. ) It is interesting
Good luck !

MVDB
03-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Very cool idea..
Some deep thinking! I like it..
*Subscribing* ;)

beelow
03-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice Atmospheric, perspective, It has a really nice feel, nice start as always dude!:thumbsup:

R-K
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
hi guys and thanks for looking! :beer:

I'm a bit busy with other stuff at the moment (got school and application tests to 3 art schools etc, driving school and all that) so I might not be posting new pic everyday but that's life..

Many of you commented about the cloud crap, well I agree, I might make her walk by a bridge of books or something.. you know, make it more clear that it's not exactly all realistic what we see, that it's metaphorical.

FrozZT - thanks, I guess it's because my pic is so monochromatic that I can't use difference in colors to show that the cloud world is not really part of the real world. Need to deal with it later.

Cyberone - thanks!

enialadam - Thanks, gl to you too

sh@ke - coming from you it means a lot, thanks!

paperclip - yeah I tried that as well but it got a bit throne looking thing and I'm really not sure.. might work if I just could manage it.

zachlost - thanks, I'll work on the characters. I just indicated them for the composition.

slickgreekgeo - yeah me too :D

Pawlack - yep thanks!

rkeith0275 - interesting idea

iamawizard - thanks!

krot_art - thanks, nice to see you here, I like your work!

Squibbit - Suomi

adam harnett - thank you!

Sergey Banityuk - nice to see you here, I'm a big fan of yours!

MichaelMotion - thanks man

beelow - thank you, as always dude! :cool:

makaron
03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
great start :applause:

JTD
03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
The atmosphere is great! It's almost a muggy type of hot/cold, but definitely on the cold side.

mindofka
03-02-2006, 11:06 PM
The lights, the atmosphere are already amazing, good work, and luck, with a piece that will be wonderful for sure. :)

rawwad
03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Good luck Raine! :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
03-03-2006, 05:05 PM
freakin awesome sketch, cant wait for more eyecandy. the mood in it is absolutely stunning!

medunecer
03-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Great concept design!

warpy
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
nice angle, put the detail in and you got yourself an awesome pic.

KOryH
03-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Great sketch so far.
One thing I would like to piont out is that your comositions are starting to repeat, as in look all the same. I would suggest that really push yourself to do something totally different in a sketch or two. I think you have the skills to go beyond and break out of your confort zone.

Keep up the great work, i look forward to the next installment.

rawgon
03-04-2006, 01:09 AM
thats a great start, will work for sure, goodluck

ragdoll
03-04-2006, 02:49 AM
this is great! the whole viking theme in itself has journey written all over it...

love to see this finished!

-rj

R-K
03-04-2006, 09:39 AM
makaron - thanks

JTD - thanks, I might be changing it soon

mindofka - thanks a lot

rawwad - thank you!

the1st_angel - thanks, nice to see you here

medunecer - I hope so!

warpyy - thanks, will do!

KOryH - thanks, I'm not really sure what you mean since I have posted only one pic to this contest and in my previous contest I had portrait ratio image so I don't think the composition can be same.. I can only try to improve but I'm not sure if I'll start over due to lot of other work. I'll probably just tweak as good painting of this as possible, probably changing colors a bit, making some interesting new elements and maybe that way changing composition as well.

R-K
03-04-2006, 09:43 AM
renderwhite - thanks I hope so too

ragdoll - I'd love to see it finished too :D and I agree about vikings, so fascinating stuff in my opinion..

KOryH
03-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I've seen you work on other forums and speed paints and such. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, just a bit similar to things I have seen from you before. Not a big deal.

Keep going!

R-K
03-04-2006, 08:30 PM
well I seem to be using rule of thirds etc. traditional compositing rules pretty much without thinking..... I didn't real plan any of my stuff for this. I have some interesting ideas of where I'm going to take this but we'll see how it goes, hopefully I can add interest so that it's not so typical and boring. You post on sijun or where have you seen my stuff?

R-K
03-04-2006, 10:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10104/10104_1141512089_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10104/10104_1141512089_large.jpg)

I hate purple.. so I took it off.

I hate foreground clouds.. so I I took them off.

Well, next time there'll be actually something new in the pic too. When's the next time, I'm not sure though..

PSych
03-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Great mood and idea :thumbsup:
Hmm... i'm thinking about something under the clouds (bottom of page)... maby part of library?

BaronImpossible
03-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Some nice lighting there, good depth, look forward to seeing more.

beelow
03-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I hate purple.. so I took it off.

I hate foreground clouds.. so I I took them off.

Well, next time there'll be actually something new in the pic too. When's the next time, I'm not sure though..

Haha! Such a picky, person! hope to see something soon dude good luck mate!:thumbsup:

rawgon
03-04-2006, 11:06 PM
yeah looks better with that blue hues and cold greens in the foreground.
the concept really fits:thumbsup:

MVDB
03-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Lovely little update..

great atmosphere/mood..
:thumbsup:

Puonti
03-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Ranath! I noticed your contest thread and thought I'd take a look at what you're working on :) I updated my own thread a moment ago and happened to touch the topic of light, shadows and fog and here's your picture - a veritable smårgasbord (spelling?) of all those things! Let's see if I can pass on some helpful thoughts.

First of all, I think the move you did away from the foggy ground was a step in the right direction. The original version seemed - to me atleast - like the woman was standing in a field of hot water springs. Probably because the fog looked like it was coming up from a very centralized area on the ground and formed billowing "clouds" rather than a hazy blanket of fog.

The difference in overall color tone is a matter of personal taste - I think the new version looks fresher than the old one did, but more importantly you've either added in other shades of color or they've become more apparent with the change from purple to a blue'ish light. This is all good.

Aside from the grass which is no doubt very much WIP, there are a few minor issues I'd like to bring up. You might have already thought of these or they're result from the picture being in an early stage, though, so don't mind them if that is the case! I just feel I need to say something more than "Great picture!", since you were kind enough to offer actual advice on mine :)

1) The woman seems too short to me. Her upper body is alright, but in both the original and the newer version her legs appear to be too short. Could it be that the ground slopes down away from the viewer and the woman's standing "below" the ridge of grass close to the viewer? (in the old version this didn't seem to be the case though)

2) At the moment the shadows cast by the ship and crew appear too well-defined. I imagine in such foggy conditions you'd be hard-pressed to see the edges of shadows from this distance.

3) The way out of this "lagoon" or "fjord" is not obvious to me. Perhaps in light of the competition's parameters I'm expecting to see a gap in the rocks in the background (instead of assuming that the way out is through the sides of the image) leading out to the ocean, even if the ocean itself can't be seen. Is there such a gap above the second man from the left? (the one pointing at the boat)

Good luck in the competition!

korpi
03-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Wheeh, good concept Raine, not much crits at this stage. Nice to see how the other finns are doing :) I'll start my own thread soon, still waiting for ideas.

Cyberone
03-05-2006, 11:11 AM
again looking great!!

i was thinking that keeping the same colours would be great and just adding some high contrast in one place to draw the eye...like a red or orange item on the clothing...

anyway was justan idea...

keep at it!!

R-K
03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
PSych - I was thinking of books.. a lot of books

Baron - thanks

beelow - thanks again

renderwhite - I kinda like this as well.. though I'm thinking of a new concept as well.

MichaelMotion - thanks

Puonti - thanks for long post. Don't worry about the characters, I haven't put much effort to them. The girl is standing in grass though so she is not too short, she's a real person, not one of those model-type creatures you see in fantasy illustrations these days (who are insanely tall and beautiful etc.)

Lightning is a mess, there's dozen ideas thrown in at the moment and they don't work together but I'm kinda trying different stuff and pick the best. One thing I'm testing is to place the light source a bit lower so that the light actually comes through the gap on the mountains, which might emphasize the fact that there is a gap.

Korpi - hope to see your thread around

Cyberone - nice idea, I think I'll go with this one though. Or I might try a new concept.

ok well my other idea would be wuxia style.. like what you see in Hero or The House of Flying Daggers.. I think I might try that too, the idea of girl dreaming a journey sounds a bit vague and telling it with absolutely no words in a way that would leave no room for misunderstanding.. that would take some amazing visual storytelling skills which I don't have. So I might try something else too.

While waiting, take a speedpainting. This is just something that might happen during that voyage of the vikings :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Sir_Ranath/gfx-sea.jpg

umbrellasky
03-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Nice sketch Ranath :) Now get back to your ideas!! I want more :p

marcoracer
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I like the latest one a lot. Fantastic mood... The colors work for me. The only objection I have is that I can't see the face of the nearest character. How about turning her (him?) some so we get her face in profile... perhaps contemplating the jouney she's about to embark on.

triumphant
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
the atmosphere is very nice, Good luck , a very nice start.. :thumbsup:

R-K
03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
really sorry guys for lack of updates but I'm swamped with my exams. Thanks for comments everyone, marcoracer, thanks for advice, I probably will turn her a bit, but also will try to show emotions through body language: "faces are overrated" -- Iain McCaig ;)

NOOB!
03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
solid work here ranath,keep it up!

beelow
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
U slacker, hehe!:thumbsup:

Love that Little sketch painting dude!

tuck
03-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I think it is going to be wonderful when you are complete.:thumbsup:

wildcory1
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I like the mood and lighting keep up the good work

Puonti
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey there :)

I really like the speedpainting you did of "one possible outcome" of the journey - the waves (and water in general, which I have trouble with myself) especially look phenomenal. The way I interpret it, the white spot at the top of the picture is the moon which lights the edges of clouds beneath it .. which subtly turn into a huge wave about to engulf the whole ship.

Am I totally off base here? :)

As for the actual contest piece, I figured it was still very much WIP ;) One idea that occured to me when you mentioned possibly not showing the woman's face at all, but instead conveying her feelings about the journey throug body language, was to maybe turn her into someone who's actually NOT going on the journey at all. In fact, I originally thought she was perhaps the wife of one of those who are going.

My idea would have her turned towards the viewer, looking at someone. That someone would be standing very close to the viewer, but we'd only see their mid-section (to go along with your idea of not using faces to show emotion). This someone would be the "hero" and the woman would be someone near and dear to him, standing between him and the journey (because she has a bad feeling about it or whatnot - like your speedpainting - and hopes to talk him out of it).

The only way to show the hero's feelings would be through his hand or hands, since we couldn't see his face. If you got the skills to show hesitation through hands, I'm pretty sure it'd work. I know I couldn't pull it off though... :)

kevinhyshen
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
very cool atmosphere, adds an air of uncertainty about the journey ahead!

Fahrija
03-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi Raine,

as a big fan of environment artworks I can´t dare to miss this thread :D > love the atmosphere and lightning of your images. They allways carry a special kind of mood.
The best premise for this challenge-topic I would say.

I´m looking forward to watch further progress.

regards
Fahrija

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.