PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Katarzyna Oleska

Katea
03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Katarzyna Oleska is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10058)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Changed the foot :)
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1142185117_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3335659#post3335659)

Katea
03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Sorry, I submitted my image in a wrong way ;)

Katea
03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141247034_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141247034_large.jpg)

Just a character sketch for my entry, a little guy with a rucksack, pretty happy to start a journey. It's just a concept, he won't be standing like this in the picture :)))

beelow
03-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the contest Katea!, good luck with ur entry!:thumbsup:

rblitz7
03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Looking good so far!:thumbsup:

PSych
03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Very nice sketch :thumbsup:
I am looking forward to seeing more of your work
Good luck and have fun :bounce:

Katea
03-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Thank you guys :) I am hoping to have a lot of fun!! :)) There's going to be some landscape going on ;D I have never done a decent landscape, I'm a bit scared :)))

Katea
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141303087_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141303087_large.jpg)

Ha, now he is running happily seeking for adventure. :)) I thought my entry would be happy. Like a journey to seek adventure rather than achievieng a certain goal. An adventure you don't know yet but you're so so happy to begin :)))

Agamemnwn
03-02-2006, 01:43 PM
great sketch Katarzyna . the character is full of life . good luck with the challenge

MVDB
03-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Looking cool!
Cute little character..
Good luck.. :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
03-02-2006, 02:17 PM
woohoo! Glad to see your entering too :D I love your drawings, can't wait to see more.

Good luck!

Katea
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141763861_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141763861_large.jpg)

Now, it's time for the first sketch. :)
Joyfull departure of little people. :)

Nr 1 is the second little person, who looks more like a couple of dots right now but will look better later on. ;)
He is waving to his folks (nr 2) who are saying "good bye". The first little person is too happy to care to wave, running along with his pet butterfly. :)

Nr. 3 is a bug - larva of a butterfly. Just a quick idea ;)

I'm thinking of adding sth to the left, a bridge maybe :)

BTW. The little people are called Kszopliki - in English it should probably be pronounced Kshoplics or sth like that. I came up with this name a long time ago thanks to my friend from whose name it originates. We were just having fun and I started to come up with names, and it just popped out. I thought it would be a cool name for some new kind of small people and I promised my friend I'd use it one day. So here they are :)))

Katea
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Agamemnwn- Thank you, I'm glad you liek the first sketch :)

MichaelMotion- Thanks :)

Enialadam- Thanks, good luck to you too sweetie :)))

NOOB!
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
great work here!

triumphant
03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
nice intro sketches of the character.... nice color pallete... great going katea, looking forward for the bridge idea... very lively sketch and character... go on... :thumbsup:

makaron
03-07-2006, 09:23 PM
this is a really nice comp... like the Kszopliki people already :)

Mu
03-07-2006, 11:21 PM
really good storytelling, lighthearted composition and interesting characters!

hmmm, have I forgotten anything?

ah yes...

*subscribes*

Nikolay
03-08-2006, 10:15 AM
It is very interesting work I think.
Characters is very good.

am7
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Looks great, good saturation levels in the colors. But is that the original size? There is some rules about the size of the entries - thought i'd let you know. :)

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait)

Velarion
03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
hmm very nice coloring,good luck:)

liiga
03-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Looks very cool! They're all so cheerful. :D And yep, a bridge ought to complement the image just right.

yoitisi
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
The colors are very nice, and the characters are cool :)

And yes, something to occupy the left part of this picture would be good.

R-K
03-08-2006, 05:33 PM
nice colors, interesting canvas ratio... looks pretty cool so far. Composition might not work without the red arrows pointing at where you want the viewer to look.

MVDB
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
lovely composition..
hope to see some more soon! :D

beelow
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I like the compo! Good stuff! But, I am more interested in the character, but it is up to u to make changes, because this is already a strong painting!:thumbsup:

Katea
03-08-2006, 06:19 PM
NOOB! - Thanks :)

triumphant - Thanks. I'm also thinking of a mountain, with smoke comming out of it, like a sign to start an annual journey :)

makaron - Thank you! Kszopliki sound really good in Polish, hopefully non-polish people will know how to pronounce it :)

Mr. Mu - Thanks, the story will probably grow :)

Nikolay - Thanks, I hope it'll be well visible with this imagesize :)

am7 - thank you for paying my attention to that. Of course this is still a sketch, so it's small, but I will make it bigger. If I understand right, what you mean is only that and not the proportions (hopefully) of the image. I want it to be so long, because I think it shows the concept better :)

Velarion - Thank you :)

liiga - Thanks!As I just said to Triumphant I'm thinking about paceing a bridge or a mountain there :)

yoitisi - Yes, it does look empty now.Thanks :)

Ranath - you're absolutely right! The arrows are just contemporary. Hopefully, I will be able to make it obvious without them ;D

MichaelMotion - Thank you :)

Beelow - Thanks! It's so nice to hear :)

MAXA_RAT
03-08-2006, 06:23 PM
m-m-m..... very nice! good luck! :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Great work! I really like the composition and colours.

Slav
03-08-2006, 06:40 PM
this stuff is wonderful. keep going. i am enjoying your work very much.

tuck
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I love your style really beautiful!
looking forward to see your worlk!:thumbsup:

Katea
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141845759_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1141845759_large.jpg)

Ha! So here is the comparison. The upper image is more modern and
the second one is closer to the nature, and mysterious as well.

Here is the story - every year young male Kszopliks who have turned 25 start their First Annual Jurney. Kszopliks live suprisingly long for such small creatures. At 25 they're still very young. They usually set of with their father, or an older brother, who have already experienced the AJ.

Kszopliks live in small groups,that are more like families and they only gather once a year to hunt, tell stories and do manly stuff. ;) Women and older men (over a 100) stay home. The one's to go hunting have to travel many many miles ( a Kszoplik mile is a 0,25 of human mile). They only gather for a fortnight, because the rest of the time they spend travelling. When they come back they carry a lot of goods with them, like bee-skins and cockchafer-armour that prove their bravery and strenght. They have to harry up though, and return before fall. Kszopliks learned to domesticate butterflies and use them for carrying goods. They know how to catch them and turn them into servants. Unfortunatelly during their journey our friends will have to capture a couple of butterflies, because butterflies do not live long, and when the fall comes there are very few of them left (if any). So any delay can make Kszopliks abandon their trophies and return home with nothing at all.
This year is the first time our young Kszoplik is setting off on The Annual Journey. He's happy, feel's free, seeking for adventures, totally anaware of any dangers.

And now teh pictures. The smoke comming out of the mountain is a sign that it's time to set off. Kszopliks don't know who sets the smoke or why, the oly thing they know is that it's the time to go.
In the second picture there's no smoke, but there is a bridge which symbolises travelling and overcoming obstacles. Also it shows that Kszopliks may live amongst us :)

I can't figure out which is better ;)

Slav
03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
toss the bridge. mountain FTW! (just make it a more interesting mountain then the one you have in your sketch :))

beelow
03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I like the bridge, seems to be more interesting for the time being, it seems to frame it well! The mountain fits but it is not very interesting to look at though, maybe bring it foward some, use that mountain as a framing element, that would be cool! Keep it up!

wildcory1
03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Nice start. Good color work and contrast. Keep up the good work

norvman
03-08-2006, 08:04 PM
great looking stuff!

really think you've got a winner here...

the story line you have developed I think would make a great comic or graphic novel...

I like the bridge idea too... for the symbolicness of it
and the idea that it's easy to show some kind of granduer and a kind of non-natural interest....
that is to say...
If there is a bridge some one had to build it..

perhaps you could make it an anchient bridge... constructed by a long forgotten yet technologically advanced socioty...

:thumbsup:

umbrellasky
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I think I like the bridge more, seems more dynamic :)

W-I-L
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
bridge.. breaks up the countyrside and looks better... go for it

GrM
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I also think the bridge would be a better direction. The mountain seems to fit well into the fantasy type theme, but it feels kind of blah with the rest of the image, and the mountains that are already there.

but there is a bridge which symbolises travelling and overcoming obstacles. Also it shows that Kszopliks may live amongst us

You described its good points yourself, I say go with it. I think the bridge offers more in the mind for imagination.

makaron
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
the bridge can end at the mountain... in some sort of way :) like how the bridge frames the image...

nebezial
03-08-2006, 09:12 PM
wow..id go with bridge..makes more sense considering the pictures proportions

Agamemnwn
03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
great story Katarzyna and great composition . I would go with the bridge seems more interesting and i bet u can design a great suspension bridge :D

KevinR
03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey there Katea,

I like your ideas, very cool. I thought the bit about them using butterflies as goods carriers was very interesting and unique, especially from the point of view that butterflies don't live very long thus adding a nice element to the whole story you have created here.
I would definitely go with the bridge idea. The whole fantasy mountain thing has been done many times. Also, using the bridge can really help to show the scale of these little creatures as I am sure they would be minute on such a large human creation. I also like the bridge from the point of view that it places these creatures in a more 'realistic' setting, thus adding to their uniqueness as tiny creatures living secretly from humans. I say this because in a fantasy world any creature is accepted , large, small, troll, fairy whatever, but not quite in our 'real' world.

Kev

InTerceptoV
03-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Nice sketch. I like how green and blue blend together. Looks refreshing. I think modern one looks more mysterious.

yoitisi
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I suggest you go for the bridge too, it looks more interesting and gives the left side of the picture more weight than the mountain. Great concept so far, like the background story too :)

vader
03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
composition is better with the brigde :)

triumphant
03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
the mountain idea is not bad...its good :thumbsup:
i like the mountain idea ... :bounce: :bounce:

the mountain with smoke is a lil awkward u could place the smoke in better way...
perhaps then it would look more dramatic and significant rather than distracting....

and over that the smoke at the mountain is directly linking to the character's actiion....
but the bridge just hints that he would be travelling....
anyways just my thought...

overall u made a good dramatic script and compostion.
good job katea... great going...keep the good work ... :thumbsup:

Katea
03-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Thank you all guys for your responses :)
I think I'm gonna go for the bridge, It does frame the image better, besides it'll look cool dissapearing far far away. Thanks :)

beelow - thanks :)

norvman - The ancient bridge idea is cool, because it'll be more mysterious too :) Thanks!

GrM- also, the viewer will have to wonder if the ones who have build the bridge still exist or not. :)

nebezial - that is true, thanks :)

Agamemnwn - ;D well I should be able to, but since it's gonna be antient it cannot be a suspension bridge unfortunatelly. I guess I'll have to give it up ;) Although I'm kind of considering making it a modern bridge which looks as if it hasn't been used for many, many years. The trouble is if I wanted to make it f.i. a couple of centuries old I'd have to change the geometry, because during those centuries could collapse in a couple of places Hmm...

KevinR - I'm really glad you like my story. I have so many more ideas, they can be importred into the story but not into teh painting itself. Unfortunatelly. Nevertheless I'll try to discribe them later on, because they may go well with the painting :)

triumphant - I had some very similar thoughts about those two versions :) Smoke can go with the story well, but the bridge looks way better, and it can also be symbolic. Now I gave to figure out wich bridge I want to paint ;)

I also have a different idea concerning the bridge. I'd have to give up the mystery though. Do you know Norman Fosters Grand Viaduct? http://www.tourisme-aveyron.com/uk/aveyron/decouverte/viaduc_de_millau.php There is so much fuss about it nowadays. Wouldn't it be cool to see it deserted and desolated, totally forgotten? One day it will stop being a wonder after all. It'll be outrun by some other Viaduct, and in many years to come forgotten. Or maybe the human race will dissapear? What do you think? The Grand Viaduct as a symbol of passing time - of things that we now consider great becoming just a weird piece of envoironment in Kszopliks world?

Agamemnwn
03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi Katarzyna,

I think the idea of an old bridge would be nice and more fitting to the character and the feeling . if you stay with the suspension bridge it will give a more post apocalyptic feeling to it and could give a nice feeling about it . forgoten civilizationsand fit with the new and the character On the other hand u can go with a arc stone bridge and give a more present feeling with the character. but its your call it all depends on your u are going to betray the bridge . either way i thinks is a nice idea and will definately stay and look :D

Katea
03-10-2006, 10:35 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1142030118_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1142030118_large.jpg)

Just submitting detail.My original pic is 70 cm wide with 300 dpi. ;)That means it's 21000 pixels wide (21O cm at a 100 dpi - is that big?) . The details here are 20% and 50% closeups. I have just started, and have very little time to work on it, also I'm working inconsistently, I started painting the Kszoplik then the mountain, to see if I actually can, and then made myself some brushes for the "grass" under the Kszopliks feet. I hope I'm gonna be able to make it interesting ;D

cheers guys :)

FrozZT
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
What a bright and happy image! :) Lovely style.. The grass looks good too.. Whats up with his shirt? :p Keep it up!

Katea
03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I wanted to show his belly ;D I think it's cute short this way :)

beelow
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Pretty strong pose of the character, waiting to see how this will develop, u may want to convert to 300 dpi. It states that in the rules, but I am unsure about that, so u may need to ask robert about it, cool looking piece though! Will drop by later, peace!:D

MikeTheHunter
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Witam i powodzenia zycze! Swietna poza i bardzo dobry pomysl! Trzymam kciuki! Uwazaj tylko na tlo - lepiej nie powtarzac ksztaltow gor.

Hello and good luck! Great pose and a very good idea! Thums up and fingers crossed! Be carefull with the background - better not to repeat shapes of the mountains.

FlaminGlow
03-11-2006, 04:22 AM
I like your idea and the coloring progress, your piece is fascinating keep the good work.

good luck. :eek:

Katea
03-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Beelow - the painting is 300 dpi :) I just said that if I wanted to print it in 100dpi it would be 210 cm long. When it's 300dpi its 70cm long. On the other hand it's 18 cm tall, not too much. But I have always done my paintings in 100dpi. So if I wanted to compare this one to the other pics I've done I'd have to say it's one of the largest (54x210cm) ;)
I tried to make it twice as big, but my computer goes crazy- I make one stroke with a more complex pattern brush and have to wait for a coupe of seconds for it to appear on the screen - that is no good ;)

MikeTheHunter - Thanks :) I actually noticed that myself. My mountains started to look pretty similar like in a childs drawing ;)

FlaminGlow - oh my... fascinating, that's a huge word - thank you :)

GonzaloGolpe
03-11-2006, 03:39 PM
very cool your idea!:thumbsup: full of joy and happiness:D Good luck with the challenge!

▒Zalo▒

nnina
03-11-2006, 03:56 PM
very nice work, i like the colours and his smile

walrus
03-11-2006, 04:03 PM
This looks really nice so far. I really like your rendering style and it fits the exuberant emotions of your piece.

Two things to think about: The position of the guy's legs is a bit hard to read, especially in silhouette. You've already painted them so you may not want to go back, but it may be worth considering whether some other leg positions (i.e. a shot taken somehwre else in his "run cycle") might not help the piece read better.

Secondly, I find it hard to read the expression on his face: The wide open grin on the mouth reads happiness, but the half-lidded eyes don't show the same excitemen... or al least it's not reading that way to me. Maybe a more wide-open eye? Or if they're half closed in happiness, more crinkles on the sides of the eyes, and perhaps more of an upturned lower lid?

Anyhow, hope you don't mind the crits. It is a lovely piece so far, and of course you want it to be the bast it can be... and we all sure have plenty of time left to make it the best! :)

Good luck!

-mike

cok3
03-11-2006, 05:35 PM
lovely concept katea! nice work on the detailing. best of luck in this challenge! lookin forward to more updates!

Slav
03-11-2006, 06:42 PM
this is rocking. *waits for updates* :thumbsup:

Katea
03-12-2006, 05:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1142185117_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10058/10058_1142185117_large.jpg)

I changed the foot a bit and lifted the character up :)

Katea
03-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Gonzalo Golpe -Thanks :)

nnina - Thank you :)

walrus - Thanks for your comment :) I've changed the position of his left foot a bi, like you suggested and I lifted the character a bit up. I've also changed the lower eyelid. Wide opened eyes could make him look "crazy" I'm affraid ;)

cok3 - Thanks :)

Slav- Thanks :)

sloth79
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
looking good so far, liked the mood of the entire image.

just a personal opinion that the character seems detached from the background, but i guess its cos the unfinished render.

anyways, keep up the great work. :cool:

Neozoom
03-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice concept and very cool colors!

try to be quite a bit more hard on edges of your paintings.
they seems a bit to smooth on edges to me.
Anyway only my opignion.

nice draw , wait to see the next ;)

have fun

elgrozni
03-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Realy nice and happy character. Grass under him is also nicely painted. I think you should keep some outline on the boy however.

ragdoll
03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
love the whole feel of this! keep it up! i'll be watching! :thumbsup:

-rj

authentic
03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
interessant posing. very dynamic.

Zork
03-14-2006, 03:11 AM
No prosze, prosze, polka we własnej osobie.
Powodzenia Ci zycze. Postaram sie wziac udzial w bitwie. Ale moj angielski, slabo. :D

Good Luck KATEA !

alancamara
03-14-2006, 03:32 AM
Just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! :applause: Congrats mate I wanna see more. :thumbsup:

Alan

beelow
03-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Oh, ok I misunderstood, silly me!:D

Nice update so far! U are moving along well, the pose is much better than the previous!:thumbsup:

ghaydaa
03-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I like the depth the mounten the smoke and the color ... just I wont to say somthing while u are working in the details what if u make ur character face more happy cos; his body is so happy but the face spacially the eyes are not. wish u the best and good luck

Agamemnwn
03-21-2006, 09:47 AM
hi katarzyna, really nice that u made his belly come out like that :D but maybe too much ? or is that the design of the shirt? maybe if be him moving like that the shirt lift and it reveals his belly but not that much .Great job anyway with the coloring and the leg :D

beelow
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Where's the update?:curious:

Katea
03-23-2006, 08:22 PM
sloth79 - surely it's still unfinished ;)

Neozoom - you think? I'm always trying to make them less detached from backround. Maybe that's where the blurriness comes from?

elgrozni - thanks :) I will try to make it less blurry and less detached from backgound, yet I don't know how. And I don't really know about the outlines yet ;)

ragdoll - thanks :)

authentic - thank you :)

Zork - dzieki :) A angielski? No coz sadze, ze jes to jakis problem, szczegolnie ze komentarze w wiekszosci sa zawsze po angielsku ;)

alancamara - thanks a lot! :)

ghaydaa - oh my, frankly, I think he looks very happy, I can't see the problem ;)

beelow - there is no new update unfortunately :/ I have so much work to do lately, I have no time to work on this one... I hope I'll be able to work on it soon.

Gord-MacDonald
04-01-2006, 09:49 PM
oh this is looking very good!

Gord

Hexodus
04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Looking pretty good so far. Cant await to see more. Powodzenia w konkursie ;)

Wysocki
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
:applause: Kate - what a a nice drawing, har :thumbsup:
I love this guy, ;) strong line and beauty, warmth colouring - pleases to me generally, wait on update . . .

Good Luck, Keep good working

and let power will be with You :thumbsup:

jevinart
04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
this is really coming along beautifully! such nice work....

Vladius
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Hello. Excuse me, but I think that gnome's right leg is positioned not very good. When I saw him, I thought he was falling. Maybe that is the idea, since his flying pet somehow holds him from falling, but I would suggest "redesigning" the right leg.
Somehow I like the idea, and coloring is ok.

THECLYKE
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Great Pose..awsome Painting.....keep Up The Good Work!

HerrAlejandro
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I like the character is very nice... good luck.. :thumbsup:

warpy
04-08-2006, 12:53 AM
umm, looks realy good. colors are perfect. definitely a journey picture.
i am pretty sure i saw something very similar to this somewhere .... odd

Slav
04-08-2006, 03:21 AM
zoom out update maybe? plx?

APHA
04-14-2006, 03:23 AM
HERE IS MINE 2D J (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3435042)

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2006, 03:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.