PDA

View Full Version : Drawing 3D (Need a solution, FAST!)

Looneytoon
03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

How can i "draw" something in Lightwave, like a name, or a ribbon following a pre-defined path. I hav a client who asks to let a ribbon waving into the screen on a constant pathwith an end fix?

I tought of making an object, bend and twist and magnet it after a mapping, and then animate the transparency mapping. But I wander if I can do it with the geometry itself, like sliding in the geometry along a path

Sorry for my english, but I hope you get the point.

Regards,

Bob

Skywatcher
03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi,

use splinetransform. You can find it on flay.
It's a great tool.

Looneytoon
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Tnx Yvan,

Big help from a small country :applause:

pixelranger
03-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Or try this one: Fertilizer plugin (http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/) .

Basicly you set up an image of the text in the backdrop, model your text as a seamless "ribbon" (I used the Magic bevel tool with 100% scaling on a simple box and then delete all but the front facing band of polys) and then create a wheight map with 100% weight. Apply the text as a planar transparency map with the same proportions as in the backdrop display options.Then just select the points from where the text/ribbon will come from (e.g. the beginning of the text) and give them a weight value of 0%. Go to Layout and apply the Fertilizer displacement modifier, select the weight map and press play. Voila!

Looneytoon
03-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Tnx,

Since our client wants several objects done this way, I'll try both possibilities.

Cheers

Bob

lardbros
03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
I've just done a waving ribbon that just moves up and down as it flows past the screen from right to left.

I cheated though because my deadline was very tight, and to be honest you cannot tell how it was done.

I just modelled a long wave, undulating however you need it, then in layout i just animated it moving past the camera, then duplicated and made the new one move slightly slower. It looked exactly like two ribbons flowing, and didn't use any dynamics/bones/cloth stuff that would take too long to calculate!

BUT if you need to make the ribbon spell a name or something, then go the other ways. It wasn't entirely clear exactly what you're after.

Good luck

Sniffet
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
I´ve created ribbons for a project with only bones and follower as a motion modifier.

http://www.cgsweden.com/Movies/VB.mov

The ribbons where created as a box with a bunch of segments, then in layout I created a couple of bones that all had a "follower" motion modifier applied. They where looking at the object, and traveled along its path but with a time delay. Worked very fast, and very simple since you had total controll over the object.

/Regards Peter K

lardbros
03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
That's VERY nice indeed Sniffet!! Very, very nice!! :D

Looneytoon
03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey,

Tnx for the bonething. All useful, especially when my deadline is tomorrow :)
Nice movie, but i need it to be more silky, more wavy. But indeed, by making an IK-chain in combination with a follower... I think that'll do the job.

Also tnx for the previous reply, but the plugins I found don't work for the MacVersion.

btw, maybe something for Yvan since he's also Belgian. I work on a little project between the hours. Ed Spacecadet. Just for fun, but it's more like a skillbooster for character animation and rigging, and also a little portfolio, in case I need one for the future. Maybe, if things go well I can start some little episodes.

Interested? Maybe I can send you a rigging-scene, so you can hint me some more. Mail me: bob.dekkers@telenet.be

regards

Bob

Sniffet
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
You can use a displacement on the world coordinates for getting the waviness you'll like. There´s a bunch of stuff that can do magic for ribbons, like lazypoints etc. Just nail down the rigging of the ribbons, and you'll good to go.

/Regards Peter K

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.