PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a select beta of messiah:studio going on right now?

kvernon
03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I ask this because when we purchased messiah:studio we got it now so we could experiment with the alpha beta product. In my view and many others (reading) many still feel messiah:studio is unfinished. Shouldn't we be able to test this beta along with the other testers? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would think this still meets the original agreement.

Food for thought,

Kelly

Nichod
03-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I believe that while I'd like it to be a public beta, that its not required that they do. In fact since its privately tested by a group of Messiah users there will be less bugs when the general public receives an update. And no software is ever finished there is always stuff to tweak and new features to add, and bugs that will need fixing.

The question is this...is Messiah currently functional enough to be used in a production situation?

Wegg
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Why wouldn't it be? It adds a whole slew of great tools to any 3D animators tool belt, is priced very reasonably and has a pretty kick ass community around it. :D

See the first thing people do when they buy Messiah is start judging it. As they start to learn it they can't help but get a little confused and frustrated because it didn't quite work the way they thought. To avoid that frustration pmG makes every attempt to document the product and provide sample scenes etc. The betas are a way to field test new changes that aren't always documented or illustrated with samle scenes. They want to just. . . throw it out there as is to see what the few experienced people they have selected before giving it to the much more critical masses. I think it fairly reasonable. :shrug:

dobermunk
03-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Can't say anything about the beta policies, but I think it would be in pmG's interests to have you (and others) on board. Have you contacted them?

kvernon
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
I tend to agree with just about everything said on here, but it still seems strange to have a select beta for a beta product. For me, I haven't asked to be a part of testing. I honestly don't know if I would push the boundaries in comparison to all the other talented artists out there. I just know that this would pick that spark back up about where messiah:studio is going in the public, and also provide some more good feed back for the dev @ pmG.

You would think they would continue on with they're current (actually it sounds defunct now) beta testing. I actually thought everyone was doing quite well before with testing. We understood that things weren't officially documented when they implemented something new, but somehow they would provide a description too so people acknowledged the new items existence. Of course some things didn't make sense at all so sample scenes or video demos were made to help. I think they just got tired of hearing what the masses said and all the suggestions we had, or maybe thought that they needed a fresh start to break away from the current group. Or they just want to focus with a select group that specialize in one area. Who knows why. Either way, they're the ones who have to decide when to put certain nice to haves in at a later time.

I do hope they finish studio, it's been a long time in the making. I feel anything to get the product out there faster (and getting it right), the better.

Ciao,

Kelly

Edit: I had to do some clean up on my spelling errors

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.