PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: David Revoy

DeeVad
03-01-2006, 09:47 AM
David Revoy is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10009)

Latest Update: Final Image: The journey Begins
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147976389_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3557026#post3557026)

Vahn
03-01-2006, 09:53 AM
welcome D & bon voyage :D

DeeVad
03-01-2006, 11:11 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141211518_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141211518_large.jpg)

Hi, good luck every one.

This is the main preview on what I will work about :
The theme :
" To travel light is better than to travel heavy "
( sorry cause I litteraly translate from my native langage ... )

It represent a rich man who travel on his big snail with all his house ( thats why I thought to the snail... ) but very slow and not in contact with the element of his journey. He look jealously to an androgyne creature who his more fast playing with bird, have some plant in the hand...etc...etc...
I will make this image to transmit to every one (and particulary children of my family ) this concept to travel light , cause I hate to prepare a journey too much, it's a spring of sadness for me.

Now, I have to concept a lot of detail, cause I want some great concept for wear / architectures / Birds / Natures.

Feel free to let a message here to talk about with me, I will answer to each poeple. Comments are welcome !

DeeVad
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Vahn : welcome D & bon voyage :D

Thanks my friend ! I hope to see you in participant when I will have 1 hour to spend to make my visit of all participants.

OniricCreative
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141211518_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141211518_large.jpg)

Hi, good luck every one.

This is the main preview on what I will work about :
The theme :
" To travel light is better than to travel heavy "
( sorry cause I litteraly translate from my native langage ... )

It represent a rich man who travel on his big snail with all his house ( thats why I thought to the snail... ) but very slow and not in contact with the element of his journey. He look jealously to an androgyne creature who his more fast playing with bird, have some plant in the hand...etc...etc...
I will make this image to transmit to every one (and particulary children of my family ) this concept to travel light , cause I hate to prepare a journey too much, it's a spring of sadness for me.

Now, I have to concept a lot of detail, cause I want some great concept for wear / architectures / Birds / Natures.

Feel free to let a message here to talk about with me, I will answer to each poeple. Comments are welcome !

good concept DeeVad!! I like the idea and the sketch. I wish you good luck!!! :)

MVDB
03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey DeeVad, nice sketch...
Snails, good thinking.. This will be a LOOOOOOOOOONG Journey,
maybe not in distance but for sure in time.. Good luck! :)

DeeVad
03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Loris_ : Yeah ! thanks for saying " good concept" from a artist as you... If only I have a web-site as beautifull as you !

MichaelMotion : Thanks, but my sketch is horrible compare to yours... I'm sure you have the best cartoon sketch style of all the forum, and it's not little word to say it... Great motion in your characters, mouvements...

oh.. You will make me jealous of your style guys before start !
:cry:

GaeasHerald
03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi! Your sketch looks great and I love the concept. :) The only piece of advice I can think of for now would be to create a background that showed the scale of the characters and that looked just a bit more epic. Anyway, this is the very first sketch, so there's a lot of time for adjustments. I'm very impressed with the image so far. Good Luck!

Ramitxon
03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I like your concept very much Deevad, but maybe now you should consider if this is the correct viewing angle, maybe a bit lower to transmit the idea of the scale of the snail, having a foreground and middleground, etc...
I think this is going to be a great image, keep it up.

beelow
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Really Nice sketch! Keep it up DeevadReally Nice and Illustrative!:thumbsup:

DeeVad
03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
GaeasHerald : Really good advice, I see that I don't have any point to juge the biggness of the snail... And this thing can be important. I will correct it.

Ramitxon : Sure ! Now I see only this ! why I put the point of view to the hight of the snail eyes ( may be cause it'sd the first thing I made ) . I will try adjustement of hight of element with photoshop before retrace them. Great advice !

beelow : Thanks ! Now, the hardness will be to keep the initial fresh of the drawing with intention and make adjustement. It's like to make circus with porcelain !

thanks ! thanks ! thanks ! a surprising welcome you made me for this challenge !

slickgreekgeo
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Your sketch looks very solid, I could tell you're gonna have a lot of fun with this one. Much luck to you!

rblitz7
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
hmm very nice sketch! and nice slug too!:thumbsup:

jsn
03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Deevad, WOW :eek:

A very clever idea/concept indeed! Can't wait to see this coloured! :)

jas

MichaelZHsee
03-01-2006, 01:06 PM
i really dig this sketch my friend~:thumbsup:an awesome start mate!cant comment since i like it so much

rickycox
03-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Great start, I like the feel. My only comments, I can't really tell at this point what the character on the snail is doing. Also I think it could help if you push the "storyline" aspect more.

FrozZT
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey! Nice sketch, i just finished drawing a snail aswell, yours looks much better :).. Good luck and have fun!

umbrellasky
03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Lovely sketch :thumbsup: Welcome to the challenge, it's going to be fun isn't it? :D

Xillion
03-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Very nice sketch! Good luck man!

Mu
03-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah David!

:bounce:

Looking forward to watching this. I stumbled into this challenge, too - hope you will check out my thread sometime. :)

I like that idea of yours a lot. Made me think of Bernard Moitessier, that legendary french sailor: he set out across his journey around the globe (a regatta in the sixties) by leaving every little bit of equipment behind which he thought was unnecessary, while his opponents nearly sunk their ships with all the stuff they tried to put in there.

Might be even a special french way of thinking, considering it is a proverb in your language?

Great concept. Will stay tuned for this!

DeeVad
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335437_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335437_large.jpg)

a first close-up of my lineart

DeeVad
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335537_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335537_large.jpg)

a second close-up of my lineart

DeeVad
03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335772_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141335772_large.jpg)

the global lineart

DeeVad
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
slickgreekgeo: Your sketch looks very solid, I could tell you're gonna have a lot of fun with this one. Much luck to you!
Thanks !I just finish my lineart and I will have effectively a lot of fun... Snails material / tree / a lot of litlle detail as the village on the back of snails... fiou !

rblitz7 : hmm very nice sketch! and nice slug too!:thumbsup:
Really thanks , but I my sketch is not so good I think. A lot of poeple here are "sketch-killer" and I die 3 times when I see their works.

jsn: Hi Deevad, WOW :eek: A very clever idea/concept indeed! Can't wait to see this coloured! :) jas
Me too ! but for the color, I still have a lot of question in my mind... and for "cleaver idea", you made my day !

sh@ke: i really dig this sketch my friend~:thumbsup:an awesome start mate!cant comment since i like it so much
Oh my friend ! you make a start of a "drawing best". You merit more than just only 1 award.

riki : Great start, I like the feel. My only comments, I can't really tell at this point what the character on the snail is doing. Also I think it could help if you push the "storyline" aspect more.
You are right, may be there is a story to devellop, but I will keep it for the details working... It will make work my mind, and maybe the story will evolve a lot at the end for the final submition.

FrozZT :Hey! Nice sketch, i just finished drawing a snail aswell, yours looks much better :).. Good luck and have fun!
Snail power ! when I think some poeple in my country (even in my family ) like to eat snails .... beurrrrrkkk ! I would say them : Draw snails but don't eat them ! thanks for your comment.

enialadam : Lovely sketch :thumbsup: Welcome to the challenge, it's going to be fun isn't it? :D
Yes ! you are right, this one will be totaly fun, the ones before I made was :
- the winter contest of tdt3d , I have the luck to win the first place some weeks ago ( hourra ! )
- the natural disaster on 3Dvf
- Spectacular on CgSociety
All this theme was a bit pessimistic for a young optimistic boy as me !Now I feel in my element :)

Xillion :Very nice sketch! Good luck man!
Thanks Xilion, I'm sure this challenge will produce beautifull pictures.

Mr. Mu Yeah David! Looking forward to watching this. I stumbled into this challenge, too - hope you will check out my thread sometime. I like that idea of yours a lot. Made me think of Bernard Moitessier, that legendary french sailor: he set out across his journey around the globe (a regatta in the sixties) by leaving every little bit of equipment behind which he thought was unnecessary, while his opponents nearly sunk their ships with all the stuff they tried to put in there.Might be even a special french way of thinking, considering it is a proverb in your language?Great concept. Will stay tuned for this!

Thanks my friend, my best book advicer !
I don't have to my memory a such proverb in France... That's why may be I decide to invent it. But... But... my country culture is like a big old stock when it's difficult to find back things, even if I'm sure that french writers for sure write about it. May be it's a way of thinking famous ? bleeeeeee.... Anyway, I will try to find about it, it could make great details in illlustration and reference.
PS :On my illustration , under the 2 guardian of the snail driver, you will see a disc, with elephants, on the back of a ( future cause without texture it's hard to see ) turtle. A detail made specialy for you.

So now about my last lineart I try to put a human reference with the advice of GaeasHerald and Ramitxon. And yes ! it's look more deeper. I add a first plan ( plant ) and I will try to cut the plan now with value and colors. Lot of work ( but I have few days of hollidays ! youhou ! ) . Thanks everybody for your future comments ! You all contribute to help me to do my best.

(for the orange color, it's for make more lisible my answers, if you find it ******** please, let me know it I will edit it and remove )

JTD
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I love this sketch. I like the dude leading the snail the most!

Mu
03-02-2006, 10:54 PM
PS :On my illustration , under the 2 guardian of the snail driver, you will see a disc, with elephants, on the back of a ( future cause without texture it's hard to see ) turtle. A detail made specialy for you.

I can see them!

Man... this must sound silly, but I am really touched. This is so cool. Because this will be a terrific painting when it's done for sure and to have that detail makes me somehow part of it.

Thank you.

I like the orange, btw.. Good idea.

I would also like to say that this is absolutely rock solid lineart. I absolutely love it. Did you use PS or Painter ink tools for this? Just curious. It's coming out great and enchanting, just keep going.

:love:

KangarooMan
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
That is some very tight line art you have there David, great work! The idea of having the home on and in the snails shell is a really sweet idea. I will certainly be looking forward to seeing this progress. :D

Matt :)

jsn
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Looking very nice Deevad!

Heaps of detail!

jas

GaeasHerald
03-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Excellent details man! I can't wait to see color on it. Oh, and you've added a totally new scale to the picture :thumbsup:. I also think the composition looks just right. Keep wips coming!

beelow
03-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Cool to see u have ur lineart up dude, good luck with finishing ur entry!:thumbsup:

Climax
03-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Lovely! I Like the idea, and sketch and lineart are wonderfull :thumbsup: go for it!

Lync
03-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Polished lineart already! I am impressed. Great concept, beautiful feel to the piece. I love it.

MichaelZHsee
03-03-2006, 03:12 AM
holly~ur line art is tight mate~i'm looking forward to see some colors soon:thumbsup:

oceanbluesky
03-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Can't wait to see this colored! Also agree with another post which suggested a change in the viewer's perspective (which I think you said would be changed in Photoshop?)...this is really excellent work. Also you do such a good job sketching the face of the female character in the foreground it would be exciting to see other characters' faces and expressions more clearly...like the little guy steering the snail and the fellow peering out a side window. Good luck!

AlyFell
03-03-2006, 08:58 AM
This is fab David! Really tight linework. With some colour you'll be able to bring out the more important elements of the pic and pull the viewer in. It's a really fun image. :)

OniricCreative
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Good lineart David. I love the details on it.

claudiojordao
03-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow DeeVad, very nice drawing... I like it! Good luck.

KrotArt
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
The good picture
Kind and wonderful:)
It is pleasant to me:)

umbrellasky
03-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Beautiful lineart!! I really like your idea, good luck with the challenge! :thumbsup:

Vahn
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
wow excellent lineart ... :applause:

FrozZT
03-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Very nice lineart.. This will becmoe a wonderful piece! :) Hope to see it in color soon..
Keep it up :)

rkeith0275
03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Awesome piece...I have no critique for you. Just cannot wait until it is done. Good luck.

fullillo
03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
DeeVad, very nice concept. Looking forward to some colours.

bandro
03-03-2006, 10:49 PM
It looks excellent can't wait to se the painting!!

DeeVad
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141469173_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141469173_large.jpg)

An experimentation about colors. I try to find great value and work without add black to much in my colors.

MVDB
03-04-2006, 10:51 AM
The last colortest you did, makes a warm impression..
nice little details, especialy figure in the window..
Keep it up! ;)

OniricCreative
03-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Looks good. I agree with the black. you should try avoiding too much. If you are going to use black for the foregrounds I think you should add some dark values of color in the background as well just for balance maybe.

paperclip
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
I really like this! It's really happy and has a great atmosphere.

Now I have a warm fuzzy feeling inside...

Ramitxon
03-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Great progress Deevad, about the foreground I agree that it is better that you avoid blacks, being preferable deep reds or greens. total black kills the image while deep tones enrich it. I think the small river is maybe too straight. Othrwise the image is getting fantastic. Keep it up.

yoitisi
03-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Very nice sketchwork here, I really like the idea.

I see some people already commented about the viewers perspective, I think it would be a stronger piece if you put the snail more to the background, so the whole of it becomes visible (with the tiny figure of the owner beside it) so the main character gets more attention. Also maybe making them walk uphill (so the snail would have an even harder job going forewards) would maybe bring your main theme more to attention.

DeeVad
03-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Mr Mu :
Man... this must sound silly, but I am really touched. This is so cool. Because this will be a terrific painting when it's done for sure and to have that detail makes me somehow part of it.Thank you. I would also like to say that this is absolutely rock solid lineart. I absolutely love it. Did you use PS or Painter ink tools for this? Just curious. It's coming out great and enchanting, just keep going.

Your welcome for the detail, and for my lineart technique I use a 0.3 black liner on a A3 to make it. After scan I made correction with photoshop and a simple round brush with pressure. I will make 100% my lineart on computer when I will buy a "pen display screen" but for now it's to expensive for me.

mmbenya:
That is some very tight line art you have there David, great work! The idea of having the home on and in the snails shell is a really sweet idea. I will certainly be looking forward to seeing this progress.
Matt

Thanks, I will try to do it with the best I could.

jsn : Looking very nice Deevad!Heaps of detail!jas

I will try to add more details in painting without putting too much, it will be hard and painting will be long !

GaeasHerald : Excellent details man! I can't wait to see color on it. Oh, and you've added a totally new scale to the picture . I also think the composition looks just right. Keep wips coming!

Thanks for your advice, it's totally gave a new breath to the deepness of this illustration. I will try to remember in my future drawing to place more human for scale element , it's a good tip.

beelow : Cool to see u have ur lineart up dude, good luck with finishing ur entry!

You are right, the more difficult will be to finish at time :-) Now I'm in few holliday so , it's appear me simple, but it will be less simple when I will start strong job !

Climax : Lovely! I Like the idea, and sketch and lineart are wonderfull go for it!

Thanks ! but now I found the head a bit big in my lineart...

Lync : Polished lineart already! I am impressed. Great concept, beautiful feel to the piece. I love it.

Thanks, the sentence who impressed me the more in my work was from Ryan Church who said in an interview that good pictures are only good concept/design in a pleasant composition. I try to follow this sentence guide. Not so evident as it seams to be ...

sh@ke : holly~ur line art is tight mate~i'm looking forward to see some colors soon

Thanks friend.

oceanbluesky : Can't wait to see this colored! Also agree with another post which suggested a change in the viewer's perspective (which I think you said would be changed in Photoshop?)...this is really excellent work. Also you do such a good job sketching the face of the female character in the foreground it would be exciting to see other characters' faces and expressions more clearly...like the little guy steering the snail and the fellow peering out a side window. Good luck!

For expression , It will come / It will come :) The most work I have is to done it . For the point of view , I just decide to keep the first and make more illusion of a more down camera with lowing background and put up the main character. I hope it will be good. Fondation of drawing are important.

Poshspice : This is fab David! Really tight linework. With some colour you'll be able to bring out the more important elements of the pic and pull the viewer in. It's a really fun image.

I try to done it, but color is not my cup of tea. Thanks you to appreciate the fun of my picture.

Loris_ / claudio_jordao / krot_art / enialadam / Vahn / FrozZT / rkeith0275 / fullillo / bandro

Thanks for your comments ! They give me the energy to continue.

MichaelMotion : The last colortest you did, makes a warm impression..
nice little details, especialy figure in the window..
Keep it up!

Thanks, the character at window will be fun.

Loris_ : Looks good. I agree with the black. you should try avoiding too much. If you are going to use black for the foregrounds I think you should add some dark values of color in the background as well just for balance maybe .

Thanks Loris_ , It's a good advices and I will try to take care of them.

paperclip : I really like this! It's really happy and has a great atmosphere.
Now I have a warm fuzzy feeling inside...

THANKSSS ! The best comment I could receive :):love:

Ramitxon : Great progress Deevad, about the foreground I agree that it is better that you avoid blacks, being preferable deep reds or greens. total black kills the image while deep tones enrich it. I think the small river is maybe too straight. Othrwise the image is getting fantastic. Keep it up.

Thanks Ramitxon, this advices are great and I will try to apply them the most.

yoitisi : Very nice sketchwork here, I really like the idea.I see some people already commented about the viewers perspective, I think it would be a stronger piece if you put the snail more to the background, so the whole of it becomes visible (with the tiny figure of the owner beside it) so the main character gets more attention. Also maybe making them walk uphill (so the snail would have an even harder job going forewards) would maybe bring your main theme more to attention.

Thanks to took time to read the comment of the others too. It's a real mark of attention I appreciate.
I understand a lot this illustration could be stronger with another point of view, but I must carrefull about something : If I try to make too much underline the bigness of the snail, or try to put distance between them, I risk to go totaly outside of my main subject.
Object in this scene follow more desire of a composition and a story, than the construction of a true perspective / point of view. The "flat" rendering of the scene is here to give more the effect of an old illustration for chidren. So, the big snails should keep a fun in the picture and not a place too much mpressive, cause it a secondary element.
I don't want to go in the sens of 3D with a too much techniques witch impose a lot of artistic restriction, That's why I take this permission of little deformation to have more the result I look for.I hope with my WIP you will can see where I want to go with those type of choices.
Thanks again to advice me with details your wishes, it's more hard than to let a standard message and I really like it. So sorry to can't go in your way of advice.:shrug:

Dutchman
03-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow David! That looks brilliant! :cool: I love to see you being 'like me' in terms of 'loving that pittoresk feel' of buildings. I mean that 'Miyasaki-style' with little houses, lots of details, lots of romantique, feeling of 'a place being lived' make some art really pop out. And your concept/idea is being one of that! :) The snail looks really cool: a nice expression and lots of ability to put nice textures there. Also it looks like 'that it could be real', in terms of construction. I really love the 'sunny mood': it gives the image a kind of 'summer traveling' feel, which is very nice! :) The way you interact with 'the posters' is really nice and kind, as there are not really so much entrants anymore who really response to comments or critique.

All the best! I'm watching you! :wip:
-Gijs

adel3d
03-04-2006, 05:03 PM
great progress.it is obvious that the work will be awesome.

DArcy1
03-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Well that is just so cute ! Are you going to leave it in the colored-in line art look, or go for a more "painted" look? I think painted would really be nice, the image has a real 19th century feel to it ...

D'Arcy

MechaHateChimp
03-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi David,

Damn bro, youre already coloring?!?! Youre flying through this challenge! Anyhow, I think your image looks really nice. The color test looks good and at this point its the most important thing to make everything in your image come together. I actually like the outline look but a painterly look could work just as well. My only crit is the black leaves and bushes in the foreground. Maybe you could add some blur to them to intensify the depth of field? It may not look right since it is line art and could mess up the consistency you have going. BTW, beautiful work on the small details. Th image is definitely one you have to sit back and explore. - J

Gord-MacDonald
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Totally delightful! Great imaginitave concept, wonderful drawing and colour. :thumbsup:

Gord

DeeVad
03-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Dutchman : Wow David! That looks brilliant! :cool: I love to see you being 'like me' in terms of 'loving that pittoresk feel' of buildings. I mean that 'Miyasaki-style' with little houses, lots of details, lots of romantique, feeling of 'a place being lived' make some art really pop out. And your concept/idea is being one of that! :) The snail looks really cool: a nice expression and lots of ability to put nice textures there. Also it looks like 'that it could be real', in terms of construction. I really love the 'sunny mood': it gives the image a kind of 'summer traveling' feel, which is very nice! :) The way you interact with 'the posters' is really nice and kind, as there are not really so much entrants anymore who really response to comments or critique.

All the best! I'm watching you! :wip:
-Gijs

Hi Gijs, you touch me a lot with your comment, your words about "pittoresk buildings" / " Miyasaki-style" is typicly what I try to have in effect. It's you identify it, it's personnal winning from me. My spring of inspiration are in 3 video-game of my childhood, Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2 ) , Zelda on SuperNes/Nin64 and Final Fantasy 7 on PSx/Pc, I was totally took by those video game, and now my dream is to transmit this optimistic and sugar fantasy mood into my illustration and my comics.
You are really sensitive about what you write, and thank you to follow my thread, it will give me energy. And I will do my best to answer each comment. Thanks again !

adel3d : great progress.it is obvious that the work will be awesome.

Thanks adel3d, I will try to go the more far I can in my techniques / feeling / mood to make the point about my young carreer of illustrator.

DArcy1: Well that is just so cute ! Are you going to leave it in the colored-in line art look, or go for a more "painted" look? I think painted would really be nice, the image has a real 19th century feel to it ...

Thanks for 19th century style :) I really grew with Alphonse Mucha paintings , and the hat and dress of this period. I really find a beautifullness to this period ( in europe ). Ha if I could be a painter/drawer in this period ! For the color question I will make it down here. Thanks to understand it and to read the answer to Mecha Hate Chimp. ( I do this to not repeat myself :-) )

Mecha Hate Chimp: Hi David,Damn bro, youre already coloring?!?! Youre flying through this challenge! Anyhow, I think your image looks really nice. The color test looks good and at this point its the most important thing to make everything in your image come together. I actually like the outline look but a painterly look could work just as well. My only crit is the black leaves and bushes in the foreground. Maybe you could add some blur to them to intensify the depth of field? It may not look right since it is line art and could mess up the consistency you have going. BTW, beautiful work on the small details. Th image is definitely one you have to sit back and explore. - J

Thanks, I really apreciate your work when I started in Daily Sketch about mid-November of 2005 , I remember you drew a good concept during the monkey period, if I'm right. So name in Cgforum that sometime I can make mistake. And more cause your pseudo & avatar have "monkey" idea in... All of this make work to much my memory...hum..hum...
Thanks for "your flying", but it's mainly cause of hollidays of 4 days I have now, (that's why I have time to do it ).For my black outline : I took the decision to not make them, and to paint over, it will take more time, but I don't want of a comic style for this one. I want a painted style, with a bit of "pastel effect". Your idea of the blur for background totaly resolve a problem I had, [ I'm to shy to ask in the forum "what I should do ?"] . For the black in front, I will transform it with painting over dark tones, this blacks line will be goods guide. and thanks a lot for your sentence :"Th image is definitely one you have to sit back and explore" It is unbeleivable how this sentence can be pleasant to receive after spend some couple of hour to start something.

Gord MacDonald : Totally delightful! Great imaginitave concept, wonderful drawing and colour. :thumbsup: Gord

what I can answer to this... Oh ! yes! I remember : THHHAAAAANNNKSSS GOORD !

(( a thinking
Haa... If frontier could be less far, I surely would to invit all of poster to have a drink at home ... it would be surely sympathic party ))

Nyrak
03-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your concept and watching your illustration progress. :) Your line work is wonderful, and I'm going to bookmark your thread to see the end result. :)

marcoracer
03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Great start David! I'd just bring the human/elf forward a little more in the composition. Even if the snail is important to the journey, some part must be dominant.. The alternative is to bring the snail forward, making him and everything on his back the main focus. Then add a few human/elfs or other charcters nearby as the supporting part of the story.

bandro
03-04-2006, 07:07 PM
My my you really work fast :eek: ha ha ha good concept about how long will be the journey with the slow motion of the snail :thumbsup:

Pawlack
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Slug :) Sketh looks awesome and cute, nothing to crit. I wish you luck on your journey.

Drakula
03-04-2006, 07:17 PM
mmmm a snail... :D I'll be watching you :>

DeeVad
03-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Nyrak : Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your concept and watching your illustration progress. :) Your line work is wonderful, and I'm going to bookmark your thread to see the end result. :)

Thanks , I hope I will upload many step and frequently to make this thread the more alive possible. Thanks again

marcoracer : Great start David! I'd just bring the human/elf forward a little more in the composition. Even if the snail is important to the journey, some part must be dominant.. The alternative is to bring the snail forward, making him and everything on his back the main focus. Then add a few human/elfs or other charcters nearby as the supporting part of the story.

Thanks for your advices, but now all is close for the composition, I'm really happy with this one, but now the main problem is about colors.

bandro : My my you really work fast :eek: ha ha ha good concept about how long will be the journey with the slow motion of the snail :thumbsup:

With the snail it will take long time :) but with foot it will be fast

Pawlack: Slug :) Sketh looks awesome and cute, nothing to crit. I wish you luck on your journey.

Thanks a lot !

Drakula: mmmm a snail... :D I'll be watching you :>

Snail Power !

assafk
03-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Hey man, I watched your work at the DSG and I loved it every time :)

This is a great concept! I really like the atmosphere... It looks like a great journey...

As for the color version:
Theres some shadow on the main character, coming from the bush in the foreground, and it bothers me a bit... I think there sould be more light and wormer colors on this character, and more shadow and colder colors on the snail.
Maybe a tree in the left part of the painting, so some shadow will fall on the snail?
The snail stands out more than the elf and IMO it should be the other way around.

slickgreekgeo
03-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Looks great so far.

DoInferno
03-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Hey, this is getting really interesting! I liked the look with the colors. Linework is great also!

Slav
03-05-2006, 10:26 AM
this looks soo wholesome!

*hugs the snail* hmm slimy...

:wip: :wip: :wip:

Cyberone
03-05-2006, 10:58 AM
its looking very nice indeed!!

i hope you keep the fun cartoony feel!!

ill keep watching! :)

warpy
03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
love the 90's tv cartoon style

calisto-lynn
03-05-2006, 12:44 PM
omg this is amazing! the colours are beautifull! this reminds me...did you watch howl's moving castle...? i'll be watching this!! its so cute!!:D

Dominus
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
great ideea and nice sketch! :)

ragdoll
03-05-2006, 03:54 PM
This is looking fantabulous! :thumbsup:

I also noticed that people now a days are using creatures as mobile homes! :scream:

Looking forward to the final render!

good luck!:)

-rj

RedSquirrel
03-05-2006, 05:18 PM
hey this is great, I really like your colour test so far :applause: and theres a nice atmosphere to it. I like the element in your original concept sketch with the driver of the snail getting angry with the person passing by but it seems to missing from the line art and the colour test.

GaeasHerald
03-05-2006, 08:36 PM
You don't waste any time do you? The color test looks nice, it really fits the look you're aiming for. In my opinion, some darker tones in the middleground and foreground could inject a bit more life to it. Thats as far as I can crit it. Cool progress.

DeeVad
03-06-2006, 02:24 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141611873_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141611873_large.jpg)

- greyscale "modeling" - close up : main character expression
- volumes/light rendering

DeeVad
03-06-2006, 02:26 AM
Thanks for all your comments, I will try to answer to all of you soon. Thanks again :)

jpedro
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
great concept Deevad. the colors are great too. i also very much liked the rich guy in your very first concpet sketch and his angry little look. i think that is quite important from a story telling point of view and hope that this wont get lost in your final image. but this is already magnifique!

OniricCreative
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Sweet! The main character's looking nice. Cute and nice expression; i like the eyes. I have no comments for this... i'm just waiting to see it with colors ;) keep up.

KangarooMan
03-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey David, excellent looking updates! I like your choice in colors a lot. Also great greyscale modeling. :thumbsup:

DeeVad
03-10-2006, 12:25 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141950299_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1141950299_large.jpg)

I follow my work of modeling, and I changed the design of the main character. My first design was good for a comic style, my second had a face to "fatty & cute" , so now I totally redo her. It will surely change a bit in future, cause I have the idea to (why not) mirroring all my illustration. The idea is the character go to the left direction, (for bring the reading direction and open the illustration to a "journey begin" ).

norvman
03-10-2006, 01:10 AM
man I really love your painting style it looks great!

but I understand your wanting to change everything to get everything right...

keep at it...

:wip:

DeeVad
03-10-2006, 01:27 AM
assafk: Hey man, I watched your work at the DSG and I loved it every time
This is a great concept! I really like the atmosphere... It looks like a great journey...
As for the color version:Theres some shadow on the main character, coming from the bush in the foreground, and it bothers me a bit... I think there sould be more light and wormer colors on this character, and more shadow and colder colors on the snail.
Maybe a tree in the left part of the painting, so some shadow will fall on the snail?
The snail stands out more than the elf and IMO it should be the other way around.
Thanks assafk, I hope one day I will can re-train my self in the DSG Training Room but for the moment I'm too busy since chrismass ! Thanks for your advices, they will find a great application in my way to follow the WIP. Thanks again.

slickgreekgeo: Looks great so far.
Thanks !

DoInferno: Hey, this is getting really interesting! I liked the look with the colors. Linework is great also!
Thanks a lot, sometimes, I start to loose trust in my work. Poeple on this challenge are very very talentous, and it's not evident when I arrive to keep trust in myself in watching some other thread for exemple, thanks !

Slav: this looks soo wholesome!*hugs the snail* hmm slimy...
to hug this snail ? only if there is a lac / a shower / or a bath ! :D

Cyberone: its looking very nice indeed!!i hope you keep the fun cartoony feel!!ill keep watching!
I hope I will not disapoint you with the painting steps. To keep the comic style when I do modeling is very hard for me, I try but... I always arrive to a "cute sugar pseudo reality" , so a bit far from cartoon. We will see in some weeks :)

warpyy: love the 90's tv cartoon style
So we may be could be good friend ;)

calisto: omg this is amazing! the colours are beautifull! this reminds me...did you watch howl's moving castle...? i'll be watching this!! its so cute!!
Thanks Calisto ( beautifull nickname), I will try to command this film, and will say you later what I think of it in PM.

Dominus: great ideea and nice sketch!
Thaanks !

ragdoll: This is looking fantabulous! I also noticed that people now a days are using creatures as mobile homes! Looking forward to the final render! good luck! -rj
Thanks ! For mobile homes creatures, one of my first idea was to make them live "inside" the shell of the snail, but after I imagine a night, the slimmy walls...... beurrrrkkk. On witch animal would you prefer to place your mobile home ?

RedSquirrel: hey this is great, I really like your colour test so far and theres a nice atmosphere to it. I like the element in your original concept sketch with the driver of the snail getting angry with the person passing by but it seems to missing from the line art and the colour test.
Thanks to remind me it, this is the second main point of my drawing and your right, I let it a bit unexpressive on my line-art.
(line-art witch is my favourite milestone, cause It's like when I draw my comics :cool: )

DeeVad
03-10-2006, 01:29 AM
GaeasHerald: You don't waste any time do you? The color test looks nice, it really fits the look you're aiming for. In my opinion, some darker tones in the middleground and foreground could inject a bit more life to it. Thats as far as I can crit it. Cool progress.
Thanks a lot about tones, I will apply this during the coloring/modeling. Keep give me good advice, thanks , and thanks a lot.

jpedro: great concept Deevad. the colors are great too. i also very much liked the rich guy in your very first concpet sketch and his angry little look. i think that is quite important from a story telling point of view and hope that this wont get lost in your final image. but this is already magnifique!
Thanks, I will work this characters , and maybe totally redesign him, cause for the moment it was just a rich angry face. I will make sketch soon. Thanks again !

Loris_ : Sweet! The main character's looking nice. Cute and nice expression; i like the eyes. I have no comments for this... i'm just waiting to see it with colors keep up.
Thanks Loris, you will see that I redesign this character, I hope you will still like the new version ( a bit "foxy" ).

mmbenya: Hey David, excellent looking updates! I like your choice in colors a lot. Also great greyscale modeling. Matt
Thanks Matt, I was really shy and worried to show a "cross step" of my grey modeling ( it's so "........" compare to all the quality in this forum, it's make me a bit sick only to think of it , but your comment about this greyscale image make me recover my happyness . I hope you will appreciate the new design.

Norvman :man I really love your painting style it looks great!but I understand your wanting to change everything to get everything right...keep at it...
Hi Norvell, thanks for the understanding of my plan of mirroring all. I have a lot of things to change about composition, and a lot of suggestion I was not agree will be entered in consideration ( as this [famous now] problem of perspective. Thanks again, and I hope you will be there to help me in my future sketch milestone for all the other design.

norvman
03-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Hi Norvell, thanks for the understanding of my plan of mirroring all. I have a lot of things to change about composition, and a lot of suggestion I was not agree will be entered in consideration ( as this [famous now] problem of perspective. Thanks again, and I hope you will be there to help me in my future sketch milestone for all the other design.

yes I'm here for the duration... finding lots of cool stuff to watch being created

just do me a favor and squezze a bit of time to crit my Journey entry in return...

I honestly will apreacheate the input...

I'm not as far along as you are yet but I'm getting there...

:cool:

slickgreekgeo
03-10-2006, 03:08 AM
You def nailed the character, very good. I think that you may hav used a bit too many colors, although it's colorful, it could be distracting with so many colors. Still, that's unfair to point out at this point, as it's unclear if this will 'work' with the rest of the image. Great work regardless. Looking forward to more.

DeeVad
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
norvman : Yes I'm here for the duration... finding lots of cool stuff to watch being created just do me a favor and squezze a bit of time to crit my Journey entry in return... I honestly will apreacheate the input... I'm not as far along as you are yet but I'm getting there...

Ok , I will wait to have 30 min of pause in my work to read yours in total and take time to "take" your project in mind. ( it ask me a lot of concentration, to arrive to feel the other WIP, and a bit difficult for me to give right advice if I don't read at all.) I wish you will understand it. Thanks to answer so fast.

slickgreekgeo You def nailed the character, very good. I think that you may hav used a bit too many colors, although it's colorful, it could be distracting with so many colors. Still, that's unfair to point out at this point, as it's unclear if this will 'work' with the rest of the image. Great work regardless. Looking forward to more.

Thanks, you are right for colors, for the moment I just put pure area colors ( took from my color test ) up on a grey layer for modeling, this color layer help me to take in consideration the tone "value" of the colors, in the future I will work only the saturation and brightness in other layer. It my way to work, each things and each step. Your WIP took a great way , and I will take time to read all and participe to it. I verty appreciate your presence on my threade, Thanks!

asbassie
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I like started out on this with major ambition,so my original idea had too much detail. I in turn had to simplify just to keep with the time constraint. Luckily with your progress, I think you're in the clear. It looks amazing and I'd like to see all the details once you're done, so good luck and amazing speed.

slickgreekgeo
03-10-2006, 07:47 PM
I'll def be paticipating in this thread, as you're a great artist. And starting with a greyscale like you did IS a good idea (if you see my WIP I constantly change the color tones and values, so in the end it's probably more time consuming if you start with colors first).

Looking forward to more!

umbrellasky
03-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Very beautiful! I love the colours. Great work!

This is progressing wonderfully!

Drakula
03-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I dont know what effect are you trying to reach, but I'd add some more realistic textures to the painting.

I don't like toon-like pictures at all - maybe that's the problem ;)

norvman
03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok , I will wait to have 30 min of pause in my work to read yours in total and take time to "take" your project in mind. ( it ask me a lot of concentration, to arrive to feel the other WIP, and a bit difficult for me to give right advice if I don't read at all.) I wish you will understand it. Thanks to answer so fast.

well if you hadn't noticed I haven't been getting may comments on my stuff yet... coarse I really haven't gotten past my concept stage yet.... so...

plus you don't have to stop now to go comment on it... wait until your done if you like...

keep working on this one it's shaping up great! :thumbsup:

Katea
03-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Nice work, I like the lineart a lot, the colours are yet to faded to say anything but the lineart rocks :))) Keep it up David :)

juniorlucky
03-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Great start.I like ur color.:thumbsup:I love sketch.Cool.Good luck CG Challenges.:thumbsup:

OniricCreative
03-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Loving those colors man. The girls looks better as well. Indeed more foxy than the child she was!! ;) I'll be a bit careful with the ear, cause now that texture it looks a bit weird, and also her right hand (left to us) maybe add a bit of shadow to seperate the two parts of the arm (dont know the words in english) because now it feels as one continues shape. Just a very subtle shadowing, nothing much. I like her eyes and hair. When I look on the face she seems fine but when I look closer to the mouth something is not right with the shape on the sides of it. I find it too curvy if you get what I mean. Maybe is just me. :D
Oh, and you could try adding some textures for the bird or some clothing parts and accessories to make them different and more interesting.
Anyway, just few suggestions from me. Keep up the great work. I like how this is being developed. :thumbsup:

DArcy1
03-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi David

I just love the color so far, especially the bird. It's a bit over the top saturation-wise, but perfect for the image so far.

D

DeeVad
03-13-2006, 04:57 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142225869_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142225869_large.jpg)

Hi all, my great advicers,

I decide on this beginning of challenge to change subject cause I found too much "out of subject/instruction" the one I did before ( no epic background / no visual depht / and not a lot about a "beginning" but more about the way to travel ). Plus, For my first idea ; I'm now too much in affection for my original line-art, and I will simply colorise it as for young comics picture, you will find it in future month on the 2D gallery for sure. I was a bit disapointed by the painting style on this illustration. So, It's close !

Let me introduce now one of my sketchs for future project and say me what you think of it:
my background story :

"Each time a young habitant of Tine-darel ( the village in the high of the old geant forest ) have the age to become an adult , he must goes at night and come back with one poem or proverb of 14 differents villages.

This picture show how the village behind the door look at the begin of the journey of a teenager.

My composition in spiral is here to transmit the way a journey goes and become "cyclic" (lot of days, same scenario ) but each time more near to the final aim.

Thanks for your futures observations & advices to complete well this one.
-David

Yone
03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
David,

I´m really sorry that you´ve dropped your initail concept that character design was good but I fully agree with your reasons why. However be careful. Youve now moved onto designing a very detailed environment with a story in mind.

But how can you sumarize all that story in just one image?

I can´t give you an easy answer and discovering that is alot about what this challenge is about. :deal: You need to work character and environment with the same level of detail and try to keep things simple.

Right now I don´t see where you character will fit into this composition. Also try to include in your illustration elements that will help tell your story. You need a teenager, a village, a sense of journey...

Plan these out on your sketches you have a story now study how it can be told Without words.:)

Good luck

DeeVad
03-14-2006, 10:07 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142330835_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142330835_large.jpg)

made with ArtRage 2 - concept sketch.

DeeVad
03-14-2006, 10:33 AM
asbassie: I like started out on this with major ambition,so my original idea had too much detail. I in turn had to simplify just to keep with the time constraint. Luckily with your progress, I think you're in the clear. It looks amazing and I'd like to see all the details once you're done, so good luck and amazing speed.
Thanks, but with my project to restart, I don't know if I will can enter very litlle details in my next. May be I will do it more "brushed".

slickgreekgeo I'll def be paticipating in this thread, as you're a great artist. And starting with a greyscale like you did IS a good idea (if you see my WIP I constantly change the color tones and values, so in the end it's probably more time consuming if you start with colors first).Looking forward to more!
My grey layer / color layer are a difficult gymnastic for have a spontaneous result. I will follow the traditionnal numerical painting way for the next one. It will be more easy to place direct value of grey/ color where I want. Your thread is becoming unique, your workis amazing, keep it up !

enialadam Very beautiful! I love the colours. Great work!This is progressing wonderfully!
Thanks ! I hope you will still like the future new project.

Drakula: I dont know what effect are you trying to reach, but I'd add some more realistic textures to the painting. I don't like toon-like pictures at all - maybe that's the problem
I restart especially for you ! (no, I joke ) Thanks for advices.

norvman: well if you hadn't noticed I haven't been getting may comments on my stuff yet... coarse I really haven't gotten past my concept stage yet.... so...
plus you don't have to stop now to go comment on it... wait until your done if you like...
keep working on this one it's shaping up great!
I observe each day your thread, (yes, yes , It's true.) I will post at the moment I will be sure to can bring you great advice. Thanks for your presence on mine.

Katea Nice work, I like the lineart a lot, the colours are yet to faded to say anything but the lineart rocks )) Keep it up David
Thanks Katea, you will understand easly why I decide to keep this old project as a comic style. In painting style you are one of my reference, you paint very well and your project for thejourneybegin is great.

juniorlucky Great start.I like ur color.I love sketch.Cool.Good luck CG Challenges.

Thanks

Loris_ Loving those colors man. The girls looks better as well. Indeed more foxy than the child she was!! I'll be a bit careful with the ear, cause now that texture it looks a bit weird, and also her right hand (left to us) maybe add a bit of shadow to seperate the two parts of the arm (dont know the words in english) because now it feels as one continues shape. Just a very subtle shadowing, nothing much. I like her eyes and hair. When I look on the face she seems fine but when I look closer to the mouth something is not right with the shape on the sides of it. I find it too curvy if you get what I mean. Maybe is just me.
Oh, and you could try adding some textures for the bird or some clothing parts and accessories to make them different and more interesting.
Anyway, just few suggestions from me. Keep up the great work. I like how this is being developed.

Thanks for your detailed feeback , Loris, I hope you will still agree to bring this type of good advice for my new one. Thanks again !

DArcy1 Hi David,I just love the color so far, especially the bird. It's a bit over the top saturation-wise, but perfect for the image so far.D

Thanks Darcy1 !

Yone David,I´m really sorry that you´ve dropped your initail concept that character design was good but I fully agree with your reasons why. However be careful. Youve now moved onto designing a very detailed environment with a story in mind.But how can you sumarize all that story in just one image?I can´t give you an easy answer and discovering that is alot about what this challenge is about. :deal: You need to work character and environment with the same level of detail and try to keep things simple. Right now I don´t see where you character will fit into this composition. Also try to include in your illustration elements that will help tell your story. You need a teenager, a village, a sense of journey...Plan these out on your sketches you have a story now study how it can be told Without words. Good luck

Thanks Yone, you probably arrive to the moment when I need the most this type of help on my thread, it's really sensitive approach you have to help me like this. Thanks again.
Something born in me, little by little , and I will have to sketch a lot before to find the right theme. The realisation will be not long. I'm a very fast artist and I can make easly a fully rendering detail in less than 3 days. But the theme, the right theme will be my more difficult part. That's why I decide to experiment a lot to find it. I hope to see your futures observations on my work to help me. Thanks.

And thanks again for all messages !
-David

GaeasHerald
03-15-2006, 02:08 AM
New concenpt, hmm... Right choice, the other one had a special appeal, but it wasnt really epic. :sad: As for the new scketches, it'll be hard to show all the story behind the picture. Probably the storyline details aren't as important as the mood and the feeling of the piece ;). I personally like the first skecth better (the one with the treetop village) cause it less conventional than the other one. I would, however, make a close-up of the main character and the situation, which are after all the key elements. The angle in the scketch is right, but the characters don't have enough visual weight.
Hope these comments help. Good luck with your new concept!

anzibon
03-15-2006, 06:24 AM
thanks for the comment on my thread. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one still going through several concepts looking for one that will shine. the first time i did one of these challenges i got in half way and really missed out on this part of the process.

your concepts are inspirational. i love your characters and if you can figure out how to marry them into the more epic landscape you'll be in great shape. i'm currently struggling with the same thing. it's not easy.

good luck, can't wait to see where you wind up.
~B

DeeVad
03-15-2006, 07:16 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142406992_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142406992_large.jpg)

Here a new sketch, I start to be more near to what I finally want. Picture talk more, and I have less to write a big storyline. -- Please forget all "pompus & kitshes" story I write before :-) Thanks ! --

MechaHateChimp
03-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi David,

Man I havent a chance to sit down and browse through the updates but I see you decided to roll with a different piece. I liked the snail but I think this idea may work out more to your advantage depending on how you approach it. I cant speak for anyone else, but I had a few ideas pop up in my head after viewing your last sketch. Im not sure where youre going with it, but I think a dramatic camera angle and still keeping the subject the same may really make this concept really stand out. What ever you decide, I'll be watching. Thanks again for your comments. Talk later :) - J

DeeVad
03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142417370_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142417370_large.jpg)

An evolution of the last sketch, I have a lot of background story in this one, but I prefer shut my mouth for the moement, and maybe deliver it piece by piece till the end if I choose this one.
Thanks for comment & advices, I have the luck to probably have the best of all this 2D challenge topic !

OniricCreative
03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
I really like the idea of a little girl or boy releasing a bird and the journey begins for that bird. I think is much much better than your previous ones and even if you have a big story behind this it doesn't matter because this one allready has a great story that you can get from the picture. However, I would suggest you to keep the idea but work on the composition. The above is allright but I think you can find a better composition. And I'm not really sure you need to have the face in the sky like a poster image. I dont feel it adds anything to the story, yet again I might be wrong since u allready have a story in mind and your trying to reflect that. Anyway, keep it up David!! :thumbsup:

norvman
03-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Great looking concepts...

I think your spirialing forest idea has that epic feel to it more than any of the rest...

I think if you did some kind of a combination of the little girl and bird and the epic spiral you would have a fantastic painting...

Sorry your starting over... but I find that sometimes the work you start with usally only end up being the warm up session for the better work after... I am a firm believer in 'do-overs'

Keep up the good work! it's looking great!
:thumbsup:

Mu
03-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Salut David,

Well, I am looking forward to your entry in the finished2D section with the snail concept.

Til then I would say try to do many concepts just to make sure you get something you are completely happy with.

While the spiral has a really nice story to it I could not read it easily.

I am still watching...:thumbsup:

DeeVad
03-18-2006, 11:35 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142724927_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142724927_large.jpg)

Another sketch may be more spontaneous.

DeeVad
03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142798645_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142798645_large.jpg)

This is the start of an old speedpainting never really achieve. I thought it could be a good base to do something similar for a landscape with a character more present for "emotion".

Squibbit
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
wow , sweet designs dude :thumbsup:

jevinart
03-19-2006, 08:22 PM
delightfully imaginative and creative -- love the sense of space and perspective. very original creatures, too....

DeeVad
03-21-2006, 02:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142949785_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142949785_large.jpg)

I was inspired by my last shape of last sketch, i will try to arrange them with characters, and make a village of it.

DeeVad
03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142959391_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1142959391_large.jpg)

Ok, I will work on this one, I prefer to go on a way less metaphoric and less philosopher, but rich all asking of the challenge. For the "emotion", it will not be expressed by the main actress ( from back) but by the villager watching her start.

DeeVad
03-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Loris_ & norvman -- > Thanks for supporting me ! I change a lot, but now I think I found my way. I will detail this last one a lot to join again the rythms and evolutions of the challenge ( I was a bit outside since 10 days ). Thanks friends.

Squibbit : wow , sweet designs dude :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot, your sentence about this work make me realise the importance of the design of the objects on the drawing, that why in the last I tried to do a special architecture.

jevinart: delightfully imaginative and creative -- love the sense of space and perspective. very original creatures, too....
I will try to ad some special element and textures similar to this experience you liked in the drawing I start. May be I will had a big "air" way go to the sky. It's help a lot to guide the viewer eyes, that's why I learned in making this surréalistical drawing.
Thanks for comments. !

Slav
03-21-2006, 05:08 PM
to be honest i would really like to see the snail come to life. the last city image you made kind of looks like she has arrived or is comming home type deal. anywho good stuff. i really like the work.

Ramitxon
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
In a certain way arriving to a new city is also the start of a new journey. What a wonderful sketch you have here Deevad!. I also would have liked to see the giant snail but this new path is also promishing. i agree with you that you must make that which you are comfortable with. Come on and let's eat miles...

jbballaran
03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Awesome lineart man. The composition's great too. Will watch how this progresses. ~peace.

OniricCreative
03-22-2006, 11:04 AM
great line art David. Looks good. My comments on that will be that it has no depth. Is too crowded in the foreground and cant see anything in the background so maybe you open up her path on the background a bit, to show where she is heading towards to and also add more details such as more houses and characters for creating a more interesting composition. But i think your on the right track with this work. keep up!

MichaelZHsee
03-22-2006, 11:12 AM
the last piece is the definitely the one to go with david!fantastic lineart skills:thumbsup:the depths could be differed when u r up with the colors

jevinart
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
beautiful line art, composition and style -- this is going to be an excellent piece. nice job!

DeeVad
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143043907_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143043907_large.jpg)

I feel more and more well with this one. Thanks for all your comments, I will try to answer to all of you individualy soon. For the moment, I have some comics pages to finish (with few time to did, of course, as usual ).I will detail this "round home village" step by step .

authentic
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
I like your colors. Give us the envy to live here.

walrus
03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Yet another concept, David? We'll see how long you stick with this one, ha ha. :)

I like it, but then, I've liked most of yours so far. Only comment I'd add for this is to think about how to make the girl stand out from the background a bit more...? Good luck with both this and your comic pages...

-mike

xiu
03-22-2006, 08:53 PM
nice drawing! :D

beelow
03-22-2006, 09:00 PM
It is looking very nice dude! Nothing to crit as of yet!:thumbsup:

Womball
03-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I love the color scheme and character so far. The houses are a little boring though. They could use a lot more irregularity imo. But the overall design is really good.

DArcy1
03-24-2006, 02:02 AM
Hello David

I love the alien look of the architecture. However I have to agree with Loris that opening up the background is the way to go. Right now it does look more like an arrival than a departure. If there is some way of indicating that those buildings were the last ones in the town and she was just stepping outside the boundaries for the first time, that would make a much more powerful statement. Perhaps having her looking back towards the village and the viewer either with excitement or anxiety....?

The quality of your line art is amazing!

D'Arcy

Journey 2D: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=324672

anzibon
03-24-2006, 02:17 AM
hey,

she's gotta saxamaphone! normally i'm not a fan of the main character's back being to the camera. but she's got a lot of class so she's pulling it off. wouldn't mind a glance to the side though. bet she has a really cute nose. :D

good stuff,
~B

DeeVad
03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143194003_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143194003_large.jpg)

I trained myself on the tree in the top of my picture to find my "rendering", I want some smooth lines around objects. To make a unique comics/illustration style. I know outlined art rarefully meet success on Cgchallenges, but I paint it firstly for myself and it's the rendering I want.
Thanks x 1000 to all your comments, I will answer them in antother post. ( may be down this one ).

DeeVad
03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Slav to be honest i would really like to see the snail come to life. the last city image you made kind of looks like she has arrived or is comming home type deal. anywho good stuff. i really like the work.
Hey Slav, I will prevent you especially when I will post my snail on the gallery & my portfolio. Be sure ! ( I continue it ine the shadow , muha muha muha ha !:twisted: ... oups ! :wise: ).

Ramitxon In a certain way arriving to a new city is also the start of a new journey. What a wonderful sketch you have here Deevad!. I also would have liked to see the giant snail but this new path is also promishing. i agree with you that you must make that which you are comfortable with. Come on and let's eat miles...
Thanks ! for "eat miles", I start to be tired for all those characters walking on all the thread among a big way.... pfiou ! and my rendering eat a lot of times too, but it will be smoother than coton. Thanks for your message !

ahbeejieh Awesome lineart man. The composition's great too. Will watch how this progresses. ~peace.
http://yelims4.free.fr/Sourires/Sourire23.gif Thanks !

Loris_ great line art David. Looks good. My comments on that will be that it has no depth. Is too crowded in the foreground and cant see anything in the background so maybe you open up her path on the background a bit, to show where she is heading towards to and also add more details such as more houses and characters for creating a more interesting composition. But i think your on the right track with this work. keep up!
&
DArcy1 Hello DavidI love the alien look of the architecture. However I have to agree with Loris that opening up the background is the way to go. Right now it does look more like an arrival than a departure. If there is some way of indicating that those buildings were the last ones in the town and she was just stepping outside the boundaries for the first time, that would make a much more powerful statement. Perhaps having her looking back towards the village and the viewer either with excitement or anxiety....?The quality of your line art is amazing!D'Arcy
Thanks Loris_ and Darcy, you are both right, maybe there is no "way" in this one to guide the eyes, I will create one and it will increase depht, I think to enlarge the drawing and make a market to have more poeple. This can be great. I will start all the rendering of the right part cause I want to make some rendering, and after I will think to this correction ( it will come in my head with time ).Thanks again to devellop your post with so many words, I'm really touched of the time you spend to help me. I hope can do the same on your thread when I will had more times.

MichaelZHsee the last piece is the definitely the one to go with david!fantastic lineart skills:thumbsup:the depths could be differed when u r up with the colors

&
jevinart beautiful line art, composition and style -- this is going to be an excellent piece. nice job!
&
authentic I like your colors. Give us the envy to live here.
Thanks ! a lot, those posts encourage me a lot !

walrus Yet another concept, David? We'll see how long you stick with this one, ha ha. I like it, but then, I've liked most of yours so far. Only comment I'd add for this is to think about how to make the girl stand out from the background a bit more...? Good luck with both this and your comic pages...-mike
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ! If I could be as talented as you maybe I will not start again again and again ! Thanks, your "luck" is welcome and needed on my project :) I will use your advice with wiseness.

xiu nice drawing! :D
&
beelow It is looking very nice dude! Nothing to crit as of yet!:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot !

Womball I love the color scheme and character so far. The houses are a little boring though. They could use a lot more irregularity imo. But the overall design is really good.
I don't understand "imo" in your sentence and I'm curious to know what is it. Anyway, the irregularity will be by the decoration , and the shape duplication is a point of help for the viewer to quantify the depht. Thanks to appreciate my "peace and love" design.

anzibon hey,she's gotta saxamaphone! normally i'm not a fan of the main character's back being to the camera. but she's got a lot of class so she's pulling it off. wouldn't mind a glance to the side though. bet she has a really cute nose. :D
"saxamaphone" I love this word you invent !!! It ring as a good comic title. Did you give me the right to use it in one of my composition ( not for laught, I'm serious :deal: ). About the character, I like character from back, I feel there is a more power to make a personnal projection on them and live what they live. Thanks to appreciate her beautifull nose ! it was the hardest to draw !.

DeeVad
03-25-2006, 11:02 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143284525_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143284525_large.jpg)

Hi !
I had few time to continue the rendering, is a shot of my digital canvas ( I work this one under Painter 9.0 ).

Vahn
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
very good :applause: whats that hanging in the window ? :)

authentic
03-25-2006, 11:21 AM
esxcellent colors david. Really like how fine is your work. Bonne chance pour la suite de ton image.

Nigio
03-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Very good colour work. I like the general "brilliant watercolour" look.
The hut reminds me those on "Riven" the great adventure game... ahhh so many many years ago :)

W-I-L
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
briliant colouring.. no crits

rickycox
03-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Looks excellent, love it. Good luck and keep going.

adonihs
03-26-2006, 06:48 AM
all i can say is simply gorgeous, its a lame comment, but seriously magnificent render, i love it. reminds me of being a kid in disneyland :)

beelow
03-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Nice detail shots! Watching ur progress!:thumbsup:

DeeVad
03-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Vahn very good :applause: whats that hanging in the window ? :)
Thanks Vahn for your aplause ! The little decoration on the windows, is something made of red rope and give luck ; On day I helped a Taiwan tourist who loosed is bag in Avignon , france, to thanks me, he offer me this, and say that the luck will follow me. Now it's in my home :) a nice rememember. May be they're is another meaning to this oriental decoration. I thought it was necessary to put it on the painting to bear me luck. oups !

authentic esxcellent colors david. Really like how fine is your work. Bonne chance pour la suite de ton image.
Merci Authentic

Nigio Very good colour work. I like the general "brilliant watercolour" look.
The hut reminds me those on "Riven" the great adventure game... ahhh so many many years ago :)
Hi Nigio, ahhh "Riven"..... When I think to the material they made it at this period ( old 3D max / slow computers ) and the quality of those image... Still make me dream.

W-I-L briliant colouring.. no crits
Thanks Wil

riki Looks excellent, love it. Good luck and keep going.
Thanks Riki

adonihs all i can say is simply gorgeous, its a lame comment, but seriously magnificent render, i love it. reminds me of being a kid in disneyland :)
Thanks Adonihs, you give me trust to continue this type of smooth lined render :)

beelow Nice detail shots! Watching ur progress!:thumbsup:
Thanks Beelow !

DUBAIFX
03-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Love the watercolour feel.Good luck with it.

Ramitxon
03-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Great colouring David, this time you have nailed it man.

Womball
03-26-2006, 04:14 PM
IMO is In my Opinion. Sorry abou that. Great details! That's really amazing looking!

tuck
03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I love your style really original and beautiful!:love:

rawwad
03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Really great style, very nice colors and sweet atmosphere. Keep working friend! :thumbsup:

DeeVad
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143909698_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1143909698_large.jpg)

All is in the picture , this error was noticed by Piccolo on another forum. Thanks to him to notice me and thank you in advance for helping me to resolve it.
If you have another idea than the one I propose, please give me them ! I'm open to a lot of solution.Thanks

KangarooMan
04-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey David, the different variations are all good, here are my thoughts.

1: This one makes that area feel a little distracting when you see it wrapping around the above building. This also might be the due to the color, but I didn't have that happen when I looked at the other two proposed solutions.

2: I think this one is the most natural feeling solution. My only concern with it is that is cuts too much away from the cool rounded building.

3: This one has that humorous feel to it, I like it but at first glance it isn't that obvious that the chimney is going through the house above the forge.

I like the second version out of all them though. :shrug: I will be looking forward to seeing where you decide to go, great looking updates man! :beer:

[Edit] Another possible solution would be to have a longer chimney extension coming out of the main part of the chimney.

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/images/terms/chimney01.jpg
http://www.chim-kleen.com/Cleaning/Roof3.JPG
http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/teachandlearnresources/dudleycd/kngswnfd/chimney.jpg

Sort of like you have in the first solution but coming out of the actual chimney, it could be straight and it would be thinner than the second version. Maybe they build the house above the forge afterward and they needed to find a way to keep the smoke out. Just an after thought.

Tyrus88
04-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I like the second solution best. Makes more sense.. The 3rd one makes it almost impossible to live in the litte "ball" house.:)

Very nice style you got going there!:thumbsup:

OniricCreative
04-01-2006, 10:57 PM
hey David. I think I agree with Matt above for the solution. The first one feels a bit weird having it wrapping around the house. The second is the best but is blocking a lot of the house and the third you dont get it at first that is going through the house but when you do is not making any sense cause I'm imagining the inside of that place and I bet it will be a weird living situation!! LOL :D:D hehe.. Anyway, what matt suggests about the extention i think it can work just fine. So you could try some sketches with that aproach and we will see how it looks like. :)

DArcy1
04-03-2006, 03:59 AM
HI David

I'm going to have to go against the flow here; I agree that solution #2 makes the most logical sence, but it doesn't fit the whimsical and organic nature of your house designs, or the image itself - it's just too overbearing and linear when everything else is curves. So I think a variation on #1 is the way to go. Perhaps having it go *underneath* the ball house and up the far side out of sight- that way you don't have that distracting curve on the front of the house. You'd just have the tip of the chimney peeking out from the far side of the upper house.

D'Arcy

Journey 2D: http://http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=324672

walrus
04-03-2006, 04:44 AM
Well, if DArcy1 is "going against the flow," I'm going extra against the flow: I don't like ANY of the solutions! So I came up with one of my own. Hope you don't mind:

http://www.michaeldashow.com/forum_art/deevad_drawover.jpg

What I was noticing is that the scale of the spheres is unclear: The only thing that ever really defines the scale is that one doorway... so it could be slightly alterred without affecting the rest of the pic. And without that ladder there, it pushes the sphere a little more back into the pic. So I shrunk the door and ladder, and moved the ladder to behind the blacksmith's shop instead of in front of it. It also cleans up the part of the pic in front of the girl too. Anyhow, maybe you'll find this helpful.

Good luck with this all. I especially laud your perseverence in making line-driven art, even though, as you say, "outlined art rarefully meet success on Cgchallenges, but I paint it firstly for myself and it's the rendering I want." Painting for yourself is the most important thing... and who knows, maybe we'll get lucky! :)

-mike

DeeVad
04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1144067745_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1144067745_large.jpg)

Thanks for help, now I feel better. I will follow this post with a detailed answer to each one of you.

domclubb
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
nice concept. Beutifully painted. My problem is that it's initially unclear to me that the journey is beginning. I see it that the girl has just arrived at the village. Maybe the girl should be facing the camera like in the snail concept. Anyway, i like this one. Keep it up!

Glosep
04-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi David, it looks excellent. I like it. I'm agree with domclubb, maybe it looks like the end or middle of the journey, but not necesary.
Great work, keep going!

MDN67
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I like your style of draw, very good pic

Jori
04-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Wah trouvé ton thread! Kioule :D

in english:

I was laughing when I saw the chimney issue, lol, good solution you found there :D
It was really instructive to saw your wip, the first concept was really good, but this last one is really much better.

Some crit about this wip (sorry if someone already said this, I couldn't really read all the thread -_- ): it's really about the main character. I, in my humble opinion, thinks that she, as she's begining a journey, could have some more details for a traveller, like a bag (where she could store her wallet, for instance, or some food). Her back could be a bit more worked, as her hair (plus "cheveux aux vents") something to express a bit more dynamism, movment. I also would like to see a tiny bit more what's on the right of the picture: the girl are a bit too much in the middle, if we could see a bit more where she's going, maybe it would be best to express this beginning of a journey.

And ... ça va tuer, ton dessin :D

DeeVad
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
rawwad Really great style, very nice colors and sweet atmosphere. Keep working friend!
Thanks Rawwad, Your work is terrific and excuse me to didn't took time to let you a message in your thread since start, but be sure that I went often on it to watch and read. It's good that you took your spaceship original idea. Your design are genious !

tuck I love your style really original and beautiful!
Thanks tuck !

Womball IMO is In my Opinion. Sorry abou that. Great details! That's really amazing
Thanks, I learn something usefull IMO.

Ramitxon Great colouring David, this time you have nailed it man.
Thanks friend ! Let me excuse myself to not be as present in your thread as you are in mine, when I will finish my comic book I will have more time ( End of April )

DUBAIFX Love the watercolour feel.Good luck with it.
Thanks, It was made with digital watercolor of painter 9 ( I made them adv cause I really like this tool and I don't regret to spend my money on it, as to'shop :thumbsup: )

mmbenya Hey David, the different variations are all good, here are my thoughts.

1: This one makes that area feel a little distracting when you see it wrapping around the above building. This also might be the due to the color, but I didn't have that happen when I looked at the other two proposed solutions.

2: I think this one is the most natural feeling solution. My only concern with it is that is cuts too much away from the cool rounded building.

3: This one has that humorous feel to it, I like it but at first glance it isn't that obvious that the chimney is going through the house above the forge.

I like the second version out of all them though. I will be looking forward to seeing where you decide to go, great looking updates man!

Matt

[Edit] Another possible solution would be to have a longer chimney extension coming out of the main part of the chimney.

http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/ima...s/chimney01.jpg
http://www.chim-kleen.com/Cleaning/Roof3.JPG
http://www.edu.dudley.gov.uk/teacha...nfd/chimney.jpg

Sort of like you have in the first solution but coming out of the actual chimney, it could be straight and it would be thinner than the second version. Maybe they build the house above the forge afterward and they needed to find a way to keep the smoke out. Just an after thought.

Thanks for your really good advice, for the moment you will not see a chimney hat in my preview of resolving problem, but I will add one and your link are really appreciate. May be I will invent one in Dragon head. Could look epik and good.

Tyrus88 I like the second solution best. Makes more sense.. The 3rd one makes it almost impossible to live in the litte "ball" house.
Very nice style you got going there!
Yes; I agree with your sentence on the third solution. Thanks !

Loris_ hey David. I think I agree with Matt above for the solution. The first one feels a bit weird having it wrapping around the house. The second is the best but is blocking a lot of the house and the third you dont get it at first that is going through the house but when you do is not making any sense cause I'm imagining the inside of that place and I bet it will be a weird living situation!! LOL hehe.. Anyway, what matt suggests about the extention i think it can work just fine. So you could try some sketches with that aproach and we will see how it looks like.
Yes I think too, Matt give me a really good advice. Thanks to take time to read the entire processus of my thread. Thanks again.

DArcy1 HI David I'm going to have to go against the flow here; I agree that solution #2 makes the most logical sence, but it doesn't fit the whimsical and organic nature of your house designs, or the image itself - it's just too overbearing and linear when everything else is curves. So I think a variation on #1 is the way to go. Perhaps having it go *underneath* the ball house and up the far side out of sight- that way you don't have that distracting curve on the front of the house. You'd just have the tip of the chimney peeking out from the far side of the upper house.
D'Arcy
Thanks Darcy1 for your opinion, you was'nt alone to think that a special customisation of the first solution could be best, but it was too destructive for the general composition to add this big line from the forging mill to the sky, so I prefered to do another possibilities, I hope you will not annoying with my final choice.

walrus Well, if DArcy1 is "going against the flow," I'm going extra against the flow: I don't like ANY of the solutions! So I came up with one of my own. Hope you don't mind:
What I was noticing is that the scale of the spheres is unclear: The only thing that ever really defines the scale is that one doorway... so it could be slightly alterred without affecting the rest of the pic. And without that ladder there, it pushes the sphere a little more back into the pic. So I shrunk the door and ladder, and moved the ladder to behind the blacksmith's shop instead of in front of it. It also cleans up the part of the pic in front of the girl too. Anyhow, maybe you'll find this helpful.

Good luck with this all. I especially laud your perseverence in making line-driven art, even though, as you say, "outlined art rarefully meet success on Cgchallenges, but I paint it firstly for myself and it's the rendering I want." Painting for yourself is the most important thing... and who knows, maybe we'll get lucky!
Heu ? It's my birthday ? ..... Thanks Walrus to help me with this method. It's unbelievable as I'm happy to receive a part of your help with this way. ( for me it's like an "autographe" from one of my idol ). You count for me as the cream of reference on the Cgcommunity, so you guess that I follow like a little soldier your advice, with no comment.
You will understand that it's difficult for me to post on your thread, cause I so like your work that I don't know what to write. But be sure I follow each step of your thread, that's why I had the idea of asking with different proposition as you do. Now, I realise that is the best invitation to be helped and Thanks thanks thanks again to encourage my outlined work ! I wish you will style keep your comics good motion and line on your art too.

domclubb nice concept. Beutifully painted. My problem is that it's initially unclear to me that the journey is beginning. I see it that the girl has just arrived at the village. Maybe the girl should be facing the camera like in the snail concept. Anyway, i like this one. Keep it up!

&
snowan Hi David, it looks excellent. I like it. I'm agree with domclubb, maybe it looks like the end or middle of the journey, but not necesary.
Great work, keep going!
Thanks for this advice domclubb and snowan, your post give me idea ; a way to correct this problem by may be adding another main part of this picture. I hope you will be present to let me know what you think about when I will make it. But for the moement , I prefer keep this changing idea in my head.

MDN67 I like your style of draw, very good pic
Thaaaanks !

Jori Wah trouvé ton thread! Kioulein english:
I was laughing when I saw the chimney issue, lol, good solution you found there
It was really instructive to saw your wip, the first concept was really good, but this last one is really much better.
Some crit about this wip (sorry if someone already said this, I couldn't really read all the thread -_- ): it's really about the main character. I, in my humble opinion, thinks that she, as she's begining a journey, could have some more details for a traveller, like a bag (where she could store her wallet, for instance, or some food). Her back could be a bit more worked, as her hair (plus "cheveux aux vents") something to express a bit more dynamism, movment. I also would like to see a tiny bit more what's on the right of the picture: the girl are a bit too much in the middle, if we could see a bit more where she's going, maybe it would be best to express this beginning of a journey.
And ... ça va tuer, ton dessin
Hi Jori, it's a pleasure to welcome you on my challenge thread. I will make a change on the main character it's sure. A lot of poeple think like you and need to see a character who start the journey. I will say in french the way I will make evolve this illustration to hide to other participant this new way cause I'm not really sure to have the talent to realise it : Je vais surement ajouter un nouveau personnage à la composition, celui ci risque d'être un petit personnage tout exité et plein d'entrain courant vers l'observateur du fond de l'image. Chargé d'un grand sac. Ceci chagera pour sur l'illustration mais me remettra sur les railles du sujet. Aussi j'ai fait un clin d'oeil à ton illustration de la grande bataille, le motif de poterie sur ta voile, je le replace au dessus de l'échope du potier sur mon image. ;) That's all ! Thanks to post here, and keep your great style. Thanks.

For anyone here, I make advertissment to go to watch the portfolio of Jori ^here^ (http://jori.cgsociety.org/gallery/) it's really beautifull and a good color therapy for the eyes.

warpy
04-08-2006, 12:58 AM
its all there. waiting for the finished goods now :)

Slav
04-08-2006, 03:20 AM
very very cool stuff. :) i really enjoy your work.

beelow
04-08-2006, 03:44 AM
What initially happened to the snail concept anyways? I so love that Idea! This one is good But I think that would have been better!:D

DeeVad
04-08-2006, 06:26 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1144517168_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1144517168_large.jpg)

Hi all :-)
I followed all of advices to resolve the problem of the 'girl from back as main character = no expression >> not answer a lot to the challenge' with the addition of a little character very expressive, and is 'fire tiny/little/cute dog'. For them the journey begin, and they are happy to do it.
What do you think of this modification ?
Thanks ~~~ - David

beelow
04-09-2006, 02:16 AM
I wonder if u can connect both the characters the child, dog and the woman holding the map, hmmm :? I think that would help even more the piece! Good stuff though David!:thumbsup:

Jori
04-09-2006, 02:52 PM
The boy, the dog add depth to the image, expressivity to the image, ça depasse tout mes espoirs.

I like it this way a lot. Now, just one thing: the girl and the boy are not connected. What I mean, is that they don't seem to be related one to other, maybe if she was looking at the boy (or the boy looking at the girl) it would give you complicity and people would know that they are together in this Journey?

(il me rapelle remi sans famille, je sais pas pourquoi XD).

Very good, one of my favs in the challenge, no doubt :D

edit: aah j'ai vu le motif :D /me va faire pareil de son coté, tiens, quand j'aurais un truc plus elaboré ;)

jayday
04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
How about merging some of your ideas. You could turn the girl around coming our way, with her upper body half turning as she releases a bird. The boy looking up, delighted with the scene. In tune with the house-nest locale. Be careful about cutting the boy's feet.
Is it necessary?

Don't know what you think about about turning the blacksmith around and move him away a little bit from the frame if there is any room.

I would go like some have suggested, and open up the scene by moving the 4 houses and the back edge, but not the tree, to the right. I also have to say that I'm not a big fan of the duplex house on the right.

Finally the sky needs to be lighten up and turn it a little bit to the blue side.

Other than that...great entry. Keep it up.

warpy
04-10-2006, 09:57 AM
love your style, dont think there is anyone here who does these funny houses and faces like you did. cheers.

KangarooMan
04-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Absolutely beautiful work David, this image is progressing at a wonderful pace! :buttrock: The addition of the new characters brings a lot to the overall story! :D

GonzaloGolpe
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Wonderful works, David =) I´ve watched that your first WIP was a snail-house and I was working on a snail house too hehe but you did it before:) .
Now it seems that you´ve changed the concept. If you take again the snail concept, I´ll stop my idea cause you put your work on march 1st and I put on march 10th. Even I didn´t watch to your thread until now (sorry,hehe) I think it´d be fair as far as I´m concerned.:thumbsup:

Good luck artist! =)

Zalo

GaeasHerald
04-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Hey cool stuff David! Your picture has a very unique style that I find very refreshing. I'm really sorry I haven't checked your thread more often, seems I've missed a lot since i last posted here :sad:. Keep up the good work!

dzygn
04-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Most Fantasic Ever! But Whose Journey Ist This? The Boy Or The Girl? Better Decide 5w+1h First Where? Who? What?,when?,why?+ How? Story Frame Describe About The Whole Concecpt Love It To See It Finished Soon (more Flower Pleaseee....) Have A Great Happy Day( Not Daze Haha)

AWaqas
04-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Lovely, everything looks cute!!

DeeVad
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
beelow I wonder if u can connect both the characters the child, dog and the woman holding the map, hmmm :? I think that would help even more the piece! Good stuff though David!
Connecting them all will be easy cause they are all drawed with my style, in my universe, so (lol) it will be the simpliest integration for me in the word. But I have in mind that I have a lot of work !

Jori The boy, the dog add depth to the image, expressivity to the image, ça depasse tout mes espoirs.

I like it this way a lot. Now, just one thing: the girl and the boy are not connected. What I mean, is that they don't seem to be related one to other, maybe if she was looking at the boy (or the boy looking at the girl) it would give you complicity and people would know that they are together in this Journey?

(il me rapelle remi sans famille, je sais pas pourquoi XD).

Very good, one of my favs in the challenge, no doubt

edit: aah j'ai vu le motif /me va faire pareil de son coté, tiens, quand j'aurais un truc plus elaboré

Hi Jori,
You are right about the sight of the girl, but a simple "turn of neck" sometime force to change the entire position, that's why I emit some reserve about this future changing // not evident. For remi , now I focalise a lot on this.
I find my character design to much "cowboy" or "Indianna Jones". May be I will change it to a more traditionnal fantasy approach ( Link > Zelda / chronotiger / dragon quest / secret of mana ).

jayday How about merging some of your ideas. You could turn the girl around coming our way, with her upper body half turning as she releases a bird. The boy looking up, delighted with the scene. In tune with the house-nest locale. Be careful about cutting the boy's feet.
Is it necessary?

Don't know what you think about about turning the blacksmith around and move him away a little bit from the frame if there is any room.

I would go like some have suggested, and open up the scene by moving the 4 houses and the back edge, but not the tree, to the right. I also have to say that I'm not a big fan of the duplex house on the right.

Finally the sky needs to be lighten up and turn it a little bit to the blue side.

Other than that...great entry. Keep it up.
Thanks for give your help, but some of your proposition didn't go to the 'secret direction' of my illustration. Thanks again to took time to write me all of this message.

warpy love your style, dont think there is anyone here who does these funny houses and faces like you did. cheers.
Thanks a lot Warpy, you said me a very beautifull compliment with your post.

mmbenya Absolutely beautiful work David, this image is progressing at a wonderful pace! The addition of the new characters brings a lot to the overall story!
Thanks a lot mmbenya, with this words now I'm more sure of keeping this character.

GonzaloGolpe Wonderful works, David =) I´ve watched that your first WIP was a snail-house and I was working on a snail house too hehe but you did it before .
Now it seems that you´ve changed the concept. If you take again the snail concept, I´ll stop my idea cause you put your work on march 1st and I put on march 10th. Even I didn´t watch to your thread until now (sorry,hehe) I think it´d be fair as far as I´m concerned.

Good luck artist! =)
Hello Zalo,
Feel free to use your idea , about snail house, I'm not the inventor of the snail house in the world for sure and ideas fly everywhere and are made to be shared. I see your thread , you make a good work

GaeasHerald Hey cool stuff David! Your picture has a very unique style that I find very refreshing. I'm really sorry I haven't checked your thread more often, seems I've missed a lot since i last posted here . Keep up the good work!

Thanks GaeasHerald, what you said about my style is unique :)

dzygn Most Fantasic Ever! But Whose Journey Ist This? The Boy Or The Girl? Better Decide 5w+1h First Where? Who? What?,when?,why?+ How? Story Frame Describe About The Whole Concecpt Love It To See It Finished Soon (more Flower Pleaseee....) Have A Great Happy Day( Not Daze Haha)
Your request about flower is recorded and will be apply soon, I have to devellop some concept. For explanation about story, it will come at the end.

AWaqas Lovely, everything looks cute!!

Thanks a lot for your message !

DeeVad
05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1146929639_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1146929639_large.jpg)

Hi !
I take some weeks of reading here thread and not continu mine, Cause I was in trouble with my way to paint it. I discover in the Walrus's thread gold of knowledge, and this make me want to try a same technic with outlined colored and a work layer by layer. Here is my lineart for this new project. Comment's and crits are ( -as you should know in my thread,lol- ) welcome.

walrus
05-06-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't really think you had to start all over again just to try my technique! In the end, it's the results that matter, not necessarily how you get there, and your pictures have been really looking nice and have great color without getting there the absurd way that I do. And at this point, you reeally have to be more concerned with just getting to the finish line rather than taking the scenic route, imho. There's not a lot of time left!
That being said, good luck! :)

-mike

DeeVad
05-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Walrus for your post,

I usually draw comics and colorise them with CMYK and keep my outline for the Black channel. That's why, I had a hole between my 2 kind of work:
My cg works, all on computer
My comics work , all with lineart but black.
I have the lack of 2 tips I found in your thread, it was the outline colorisation ; and a depht layer. Other colorisation techniques ( shadows/light/color layers ) I made to colorise some page of my comics.
For this contest, I started with the big nail with house on the back with a lineart equal as my comics work. I forgive the project cause I was unable to keep a black outline and I wasn't interrested with the rendering . For the second I paint directly on one layer the outline and all. My rendering get more and more blury with time, and now look as a big pizza of pixel :wise:.
I start all again, cause with the colorisation technique I will be more fast than to finish the old one. And rendering interrest more me to finally start to do a reunification between my comics / illustration style.
So thanks again for this tip, it's more bigger for me than you can expect for sure, cause it will resolve with time the problem of "drawing schysofrenia" between those 2 differents styles I have.
Thanks, I'm here more to learn than to challenge. I hope you will win all and more cause you merit it.

Sincerely - David

DeeVad
05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1146996195_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1146996195_large.jpg)

Here is a first result of rendering with a layer technique. I have now to detail them and work the reflect of water, and some details as moon / main light. I have too to work my outlined colors and finally details / details / details.

MDN67
05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Very nice pic with a unique style good work

jeromoo
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi, I want to say that this looks very nice! However, it looks like the boat is rowing on clay/sand. I assume you have not finished this part yet, but I point it out in case.

I like the scene.. reminds me of my Enid Blyton days. :)

walrus
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Ah, I see! Well great, I'm glad that my thread has been so helpful! And thank you for saying such kind things about my piece...

Okay, so have I buttered you up enough so that I can make some constructive criticisms about the new composition? First, it feels like the end of the journey to me: She's almost as that cute little house and there's all that space behind her to the right that looks like she's already travelled. Fastest solution I can see is simply flipping her boat horizontally. You wouldn't even need to flip her necessarily - don't some poeple row boats while sitting backwards? But right now it looks like the boat is heading left and it might help tomake it travel right.

Secondly, is that the moon in the sky? Or it that another round plant growing off of that root-bridge? If it's the former, perhaps moving it more into the sky so that it's not touching anything could help? And if it's the latter, coloring like the other plants could help.

Anyhow, good luck, and glad that I could be of any help!

-mike

warpy
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
hey david,

a few years ago i took these pictures, its a house shaped like a bird, it might be good refrence or inspiration for you. imo it fits your style perfectly. its a funny story i found this house while i was doing a trip and the lady of the house invited me in while i took pictures of the place. her husband is the designer of the house, he is also an artist on his own.

http://static.flickr.com/47/142684218_a1d9c00ae5_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/46/142684220_f18140ec6c_o.jpg

this is the WITCHES room, thats how they called it :)

http://static.flickr.com/52/142684221_ab38322d5c_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/47/142684219_10323dfde5_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/55/142684222_2a07229516_o.jpg

msg me and let me know if you like or not. i can remove this post if it clutters your thread :)
cheers man.

Opeth
05-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey David.
First of all, you have really nice stuff here - I love your shading and coloring. Very nice work.

After being implored by Warpy to give you the opinion I said to him about the current WIP, I agreed, so here it is:
Though it is all very nicely done, we all saw that lately the judgment in these challanges is very originality, idea and message oriented - and not mostly technical and artistic. I find it hard to title the current wip as "the journey begins". It seems very little like a BEGINING of something, and more like an end - looks like she got where she was looking to get to..
So, I hope this helps.

cheers.

domclubb
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
very nice painting and i love the style. It looks a bit flat at the momment though. Maybe fade the background elements more. apart from that though it's really cool. good luck with this.

DeeVad
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147098826_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147098826_large.jpg)

I took time to read all message, and I'm happy that this new theme was well welcome by you.
Just a general précision about my intention :
I want to fix in a picture the best moment to represent the journey begin, for my vision ( and may be it's wrong ) the journey begin at the moment you are ready to leave somewhere / a place.
That's why I choose this representation. The main character ( androgyne and asexual ) look a bit curiousity/and nostalgy to the house he go away ( on this version the detail of the rope by windows is more well 'underlined'. )
This vision is more a vision of the start of dream.
Technicaly, I still have bounce light details, and transparency / reflexion on the water.
Thanks for your crits, I will answer each one of your suggestion in quoting them in a message downer this.
Thanks again!

DeeVad
05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
MDN67 Very nice pic with a unique style good work
Thanks a lot , for this challenge I have no pretentious for nothing other to discover my style and make it still and still more ' perfumed' . This Wip place is the best of the world to personnaly evolve. My work is totaly different since Spectacular, for exemple, Long life to Cgsociety challenge :)

jeromoo Hi, I want to say that this looks very nice! However, it looks like the boat is rowing on clay/sand. I assume you have not finished this part yet, but I point it out in case. I like the scene.. reminds me of my Enid Blyton days. :)
Thanks for your comment, I discover by the same way Enid Blyton.
I hope you will appreciate the rendering of the water ( still in rendering )

walrus Ah, I see! Well great, I'm glad that my thread has been so helpful! And thank you for saying such kind things about my piece...

Okay, so have I buttered you up enough so that I can make some constructive criticisms about the new composition? First, it feels like the end of the journey to me: She's almost as that cute little house and there's all that space behind her to the right that looks like she's already travelled. Fastest solution I can see is simply flipping her boat horizontally. You wouldn't even need to flip her necessarily - don't some poeple row boats while sitting backwards? But right now it looks like the boat is heading left and it might help tomake it travel right.

Secondly, is that the moon in the sky? Or it that another round plant growing off of that root-bridge? If it's the former, perhaps moving it more into the sky so that it's not touching anything could help? And if it's the latter, coloring like the other plants could help.

Anyhow, good luck, and glad that I could be of any help!

-mike
Hi Mike,
Thanks for help, I have to try to mirror some element but I'm affraid it will totally break composition, I will make this when I will have the abality to collapse some of the 10 layers I have for the moment to keep only outlines and the advanced colorisation. I will post my result here soon.
Thanks again for help. ( for the moon, it will be more "lookable" with a nice texture on it , in future )

warpy hey david,
a few years ago i took these pictures, its a house shaped like a bird, it might be good refrence or inspiration for you. imo it fits your style perfectly. its a funny story i found this house while i was doing a trip and the lady of the house invited me in while i took pictures of the place. her husband is the designer of the house, he is also an artist on his own.

Cool ! really beautifull architecture project. Did you remember the name of this artist ? I'm sure we could write threw each other about some view of architectures.
Thanks for photos and let them on the thread, I'm sure it's interresting for others too.

Opeth Hey David.
First of all, you have really nice stuff here - I love your shading and coloring. Very nice work.

After being implored by Warpy to give you the opinion I said to him about the current WIP, I agreed, so here it is:
Though it is all very nicely done, we all saw that lately the judgment in these challanges is very originality, idea and message oriented - and not mostly technical and artistic. I find it hard to title the current wip as "the journey begins". It seems very little like a BEGINING of something, and more like an end - looks like she got where she was looking to get to..
So, I hope this helps.
cheers.

Thanks Opeth,
I think your observations goes in the same way than the one Walrus made me up. I will try to flip the boat but I'm not sure the direction will be good.
We will see it in the future. Thanks again.

domclubb very nice painting and i love the style. It looks a bit flat at the momment though. Maybe fade the background elements more. apart from that though it's really cool. good luck with this.
Hi domclubb,
I hope my last rendering post will feet to your observations. ;-)
Thanks for good comments.

-David

DeeVad
05-08-2006, 07:56 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147114611_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147114611_large.jpg)

I came back to have more help about the main modification before I start adding crazy little détails :
1 ) I flip the character.
2 ) I flip the entire boat.
Witch one you think is the best ?
For me the first.
Thanks for help !

walrus
05-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't think you should flip the girl, as I think that it is propoer rowing position to have your back towards where you're rowing... i think. It's just that i think it should be clear that the front of the boat is on the right, not the left. So i vote for image #0, the one you posted before #1 and #2, but I think you could do more to clarify which direction the boat is travelling: Make the cirlicue prow on the right much taller, and shrink the left one... maybe even get rid of the one on the left altogehter, make the end of the boat flatter on the rear... Anyhow, just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else will have a different opinion.
Good luck!

-mike

DeeVad
05-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks Walrus for your help ,the solution #0 looks the best in my heart : I don't like to mirror my character ( oh damn... no ) cause I don't reconize them ( may be it merge too much my error of drawing ) and I felt displace element as crime for the global harmony and composition of my picture .

I didn't see that the boat design could indicate the direction the boat goes. This is so simple but true. May be I have too much pressure with the soon deadline to could think clearly.
Thanks, I will redesign for sure the boat and add some more expressive ripples on the water to guide the eyes.
Thanks again.

DeeVad
05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147126677_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147126677_large.jpg)

Here is a proposal for a remake for the back hull of the boat and some ideas for direction on water . I also did cleaning in my foreground plan on left to let the eyes best make an interpretation of the mouvement of the boat : from left to right . Do you think it's efficient ? if yes I will integrate this modifications in my rendering. Thanks Walrus for this tip, it's the best solution for sure.

warpy
05-09-2006, 06:48 AM
there should be a bigger trail on the back of the boat, and no trail infront, maybe just a wave breaker effect on the tip of the boat. nice frogs.

and since she is passing under the light tree, she should have more light effects on her hair and face etcetc..

Geci
05-09-2006, 09:04 AM
nice job so far.... I like your style!
Can't wait to see how it developes!

DeeVad
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147438176_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147438176_large.jpg)

Hi, I did a lot of work on my illustration to have a boat with a back/front, and I work too on the ambiant and light, to come more near my original feeling when I realise this illustration.
Now, the detailing work will start. 15 Days to did it, it will be suffisant.

authentic
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh I didn't see you completely changed your challenge. This one is good to. I would say it could have more contrast because your character is not enough readable.

DeeVad
05-13-2006, 12:07 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147475272_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147475272_large.jpg)

Here a view from a piece of the detail artwork, I start now a cleaning on all the layers collapsed with a simple brush. Smooth and clean lines is long, but result better for a Hi-Def printing -for exemple- I added too some effect of transparency in the plant. I like object with multiples textures.

anticz
05-13-2006, 09:31 PM
DeeVad,
I think some of your initial ideas and coloring WIPs were much stronger the what you've got now. Curios why you abandoned those?

DeeVad
05-16-2006, 07:44 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147805045_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147805045_large.jpg)

Hello,
I adding a fairy to answer to the lack of light on the character and to add another point of light to create a focal triangle with the fairy halo / the moon / and the reflect of the moon. This recenter most of the scene on the main characters.
I started a first level of thin detail and colors corrections.
I think the next post will be the final coloring.
Thanks for your comments!
-david

DeeVad
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147974601_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147974601_large.jpg)

So I make a end to my work. Final coloring for me is the same as Final Image so now, I will try to write my story to join with the final image. Thanks for support my Wip all !

DeeVad
05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147976389_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/10009/10009_1147976389_large.jpg)

Title : The journey begins

Story :
A children run away from his home with a frog friend and a fairy by a calm full moon night in a fantasy world.
The scene is focused on the feeling of the main character, looking on his bedroom still lighted and the rope he build with bed-clothes.His expression look like the last exitation to leave the stability/security to go to the unknowing ( the Frog looks a bit quiet showing the direction, cause he don't know if this new landscape is hostile or not ). They use a little boat with some food ( they preview a long trip ? ) and the boat float softly to make the natural transition that look as the journey begins.

Technics :
I used a outlined technics, more as old illustration than for comics effect. I wanted this picture to be destinated for childrens as a fascinating scene where nightmare or dream can start. I thought of a double page picture who could make the first illustration in a adventure story. I feel to have totally complete my detail job, and tooken my time for it.

Software used : Photoshop Cs2
Total hours : more than 60
Total layers used : around 30

Thanks all advicers and helpers I had on my wip thread. Thanks www.Tdt3D.com wip forum too.

- David

DeeVad
05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5501/v3journeybeginnet111hb.jpg
and this too finish ! good luck to all participant !
special thanks to walrus

medunecer
05-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Wonderful illustration. Congrats for your entry!

Jori
05-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Woah fantastic new concept, deevad! I completely lost track of the challenge - lack of time - but with this one, you're on the top of the challenge =)

Really nice boat ;)

jeromoo
05-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Congratulations, David, on completing your enchanting entry. I am wondering if the elf is supposed to be looking at the fairy or the house? Right now the elf is looking at the house. Small nitpick though for it can work both ways!

All the best for the final judging!

Ramitxon
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi David, congratulations, what a wonderful image you completed. It is a long time since I didn´t drop by your thread, I see I have totally missed your last version, I cannot forgive myself.
Great work, great colours, great characters... I wish you good luck from now on.:bounce:

Mythmaker
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Congrats on finishing! It's really nice - very magical and imaginative! :arteest:

Good luck to you!

walrus
05-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Ooooh, I get a special thanks, I feel so honored! THanks, and congratulations for finishing your image. I'm glad I could be of any help in it. There's some really nice stuff in your image: My favorite parts are the Fairy and her glow and reflection, and the way you can see the light through the round plants. Nice touches, all. Anyhow, nice work, and congrats again for finishing! :)

-mike

DeeVad
05-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi all friends,
First sorry for late reply , but I offer myself some days without coming back the forum to " take some air" as we say in France. My work on this totally take my brain, and when I finished it, it was a bit a traumatism , lol.

medunecer Wonderful illustration. Congrats for your entry!
The first comment I had just after finish and your comment make me feel : ouffffff ! I can go to sleep happily. Thanks again !

Jori Woah fantastic new concept, deevad! I completely lost track of the challenge - lack of time - but with this one, you're on the top of the challenge =)

Really nice boat ;)
Dommage for your entry friend, but it will be for next time, right ?
On the top of the challenge , me ? hum hum .... I don't think so, but it's warm to ear about.
my idea about challenge winners :
( it's fashion to make it on the forum , i read it :) )

grand prize : artvandeley
1st : walrus
2nd : jeromoo
3rd : Pat-Piper
special prize : Stahlberg , Barron Impossible, KOryh, DigitalDecoy

jeromoo Congratulations, David, on completing your enchanting entry. I am wondering if the elf is supposed to be looking at the fairy or the house? Right now the elf is looking at the house. Small nitpick though for it can work both ways!

All the best for the final judging!
Hi Jeromoo, you can see up that you are on my favorite list ^ ^ . It was a pleasure to meet you and your work on this challenge. About your notification on the sight of the elf, yes it can work on both, but only from a global view, on zoom [portrait] the eyes go to the house and to the nostalgia. Good luck for your entry !

Ramitxon Hi David, congratulations, what a wonderful image you completed. It is a long time since I didn´t drop by your thread, I see I have totally missed your last version, I cannot forgive myself.
Great work, great colours, great characters... I wish you good luck from now on.:bounce:
Don't be quiet Ramitxon, you was a first to almost have a final rendering in the competition and it's normal you watched away durings this hot work last month. I really like your entry as your general style. Don't be sad if I didn't write yours in my favorite for the challenge, cause it's a general feelings that cartoon rendering as we made together on this competiton are rarefully winners . Anyway, from my heart it's a really sweet one you made, and If I had children , it would be the first one to show them your fantastic flying of turtle, with this cute-doggy love story.

Mythmaker Congrats on finishing! It's really nice - very magical and imaginative! :arteest:

Good luck to you!
Thanks ! and good luck to finish yours !! you are near the end don't give'up, I like your horse-car of elves going to frog peaks .

walrus Ooooh, I get a special thanks, I feel so honored! THanks, and congratulations for finishing your image. I'm glad I could be of any help in it. There's some really nice stuff in your image: My favorite parts are the Fairy and her glow and reflection, and the way you can see the light through the round plants. Nice touches, all. Anyhow, nice work, and congrats again for finishing! :)

-mike
About the "special thanks", you merit it. You helped me so much with 3 main point :
1 ) with your challenge thread ; your technique demonstration is really inspirationnal.
2 ) when you draw over my chimney problem for the second version of my submission.
3 ) with my 'direction' of characters problem, your solution to change the boat design was the best. Now, everybody understand the illustration, and the composition did'nt suffer of it.
So again Thanks/Thanks/Thanks , it was more than a simple help, you spend really a lot of time to give me a real help.
Good luck ! I wish you will be in the 3 place winners !

KangarooMan
05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Wow David, your fast! :eek: I was away from a little while and you produce yet another master piece! Great work (on both images), this looks like a winner! :thumbsup:

jeromoo
05-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Dommage for your entry friend, but it will be for next time, right ?
On the top of the challenge , me ? hum hum .... I don't think so, but it's warm to ear about.
my idea about challenge winners :
( it's fashion to make it on the forum , i read it :) )

grand prize : artvandeley
1st : walrus
2nd : jeromoo
3rd : Pat-Piper
special prize : Stahlberg , Barron Impossible, KOryh, DigitalDecoy

Hi Jeromoo, you can see up that you are on my favorite list ^ ^ . It was a pleasure to meet you and your work on this challenge. About your notification on the sight of the elf, yes it can work on both, but only from a global view, on zoom [portrait] the eyes go to the house and to the nostalgia. Good luck for your entry !

Whoah, Thanks David! I'm honoured to be one of your favourites! All the best to you and hope you will make it too!

makaron
05-29-2006, 07:38 AM
enchanting picture... and the frog is so cute... well done David... :applause:

Dalton-Muniz
05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Lovelly style! Good luck!!

DeeVad
05-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Matt, Jeromoo, makaron, Dalton_Muniz ... thanks :) !

Squibbit
05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
nice pic, i like the colors

Slav
05-31-2006, 12:08 AM
i must have A.D.D or something i remember starting to comment on your thread soo many times then closing Opera and not posting! but yea this is a GREAT image. i love it. :thumbsup:

JoanOfArt
06-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Charming picture. Interesting theme.

Pat-Piper
06-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi DeeVad, congrats....the journey of your image looks really enchanting and magical. It's one of the prettiest night scenes that I've seen. Good Luck!

wailssss
06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
:buttrock: Bravo!! 好啊!妙!

Beautiful work!

DeeVad
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Hey hey, I read this Wip again some time after, and big thanks to all of participant , this challenge was a great competition . Thanks !

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2006, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.