PDA

View Full Version : Young Medusa

walrus
03-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Hey, all! Work has been so crazy that I haven't had a chance to post or do all that much lately. But weeks or maybe month of scribbles have come together to form this, a layout for a larger piece I'd like to work on. It's a picture of a modern-day Medusa, playing with her friends. The thing that's important to note is that the two children on either side of her and going to be entirely stone. 'Cause you know what effect those snakes have on folks, right? Riiiiiiight...

So before I go into more final line art and colors, I'd love to get feedback to make this piece better... Let me have it!

Also, what do you think about the length? Should it be this long, in order to show all of the kids' bodies? Or should I crop it a little more, cutting off some of the left girls legs and part of the right?

http://www.michaeldashow.com/forum_art/medusasketch05.jpg

Anyhow, looking forward to your input...!

-mike

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Mike,

LOL, I know at least one CGTalk member who's going to really like this project...*cough* *Lady Medusa* *cough* :D

This ought to be great! :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

erilaz
03-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Heh... really like the piece, it works brilliantly. Very cute and innocent. And yep, Lady Medusa will love this one! :D

JTD
03-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Always love your stuff. This is going to be fun to see the stoned children. Wait, that came out wrong. You know what I mean.:)

walrus
03-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks, everyone!

I've finally had time to finish sketching the background and do a color test for this one. It's been hard with crunch-time at work and the Challenge going on. But here's a really rough mock-up of the colors I plan on painting this in.

http://www.michaeldashow.com/forum_art/medusa_color_study01.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-mike

nymphaella
03-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey... I love your work :) But just in case you didn't know, the Medusa of legend was originally very beautiful. She was cursed with the crazy snake-hair by some jealous goddess.. (Hera? Maybe? Who knows.) Since the piece is anachronistic anyway, it probably doesn't matter. But it's probably nice to know anyway ^_^

walrus
03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Oh great. Thanks. Now I have to start the whole piece all over again. :|

Just kidding... But I had completely fogrgotten that part of the mythology, thanks for the reminder. Is there anything in the epics that explicitly says that she didn't have kids some time before she was killed? Maybe this is a great-great-great-etc. grand-daughter living in modern times? :)

LoTekK
03-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Yay! Can't wait to see where you take this. Love your stuff, especially that awesome Cthulu piece you did recently. :thumbsup: Love the expression on her face, as well as that oh-so-cute thing girls do with their hands when they're nervous/anxious. :)

JTD
03-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Excellent update! This is such a neat picture. Right now the kids look like the color of the sand. Nothing wrong with that. Maye you want it like that. I'm just saying.

It's like when you tell someone they're fat but you don't want to offend them, "I'm not saying you're fat...I'm just saying.":)

mim-Armand
03-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Wow!:eek: Really amazing! Specially I agree with LoTekK, I also “Love the expression on her face, as well as that oh-so-cute thing girls do with their hands when they're nervous/anxious”.cya.

mim.Armand

TobyArt
03-15-2006, 05:04 AM
Really cool picture, great stuff. Looked up wage slave, very great too. You have a new fan.

Anyway I have to mimik the "great expression/pose/idea" all that, my only thought is would a grey stone color for the kids bring them out off the sand a little more? just a thought. Great work keep it up!

p.s. I think JTD was calling you fat

wow, just realized you did the comet Spectacular entry, loved it!

lanternkid
03-15-2006, 09:56 AM
the cutest medusa i've ever seen. period. randomly, the fallenoverstoneguy in the background makes me giggle...i hope you'll finish this!

LoTekK
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
randomly, the fallenoverstoneguy in the background makes me giggle
Wow, I didn't even notice that one. This is the sort of thing I loved about Wage Slave: the little jokes in the background. :)

EdP-Art
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Mike

Lovely work

Could you get one the snakes to bite one of her friends and somehow show the friend turning to stone? It would help explain the story and of course make it more difficult to illustrate :hmm:

*Ed

walrus
07-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the idea... But Medusa turned people inot stone just by looking at them. That's why Perseus needed the mirror to defeat her. I don't think the snakes are part of her "super power," just part of her "look." (See Nymphaella's post above.) Anyhow, far too late for any changes like that, the watercolor painting is a mere few weeks away from being done. (At least it had better be if I'm going to frame it and show it at the WorldCon Art Show this year!) I'll post an image fo the finished piece some time in the next few weeks.

-mike

slickgreekgeo
07-28-2006, 02:13 AM
You got the Medusa mythology right (I'm greek, so I know my myths :D ). Having seen dozens of Medusa pieces, this one is definitely unique and adds a new twist; Very impressive to say the least. I'll be following this closely. It looks like you nailed the lightning, even at this early stage.

walrus
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Done!

http://www.michaeldashow.com/art/medusa_large.jpg
detail:

http://www.michaeldashow.com/art/medusa_detail.jpg

Enjoy - I probably won't be posting this in the finished artwork section because it's not digital, only the preliminary work that everyone helped with was. But thanks, all, for your help and input.
The finished piece, btw, is 21 x 12 inches.

-mike

paperclip
08-07-2006, 12:31 AM
That turned out really well, I'm impressed! I HATE watercolor, it's impossible to control properly unless you have a great deal of experience/talent with it. You get my :applause:

EdP-Art
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Well done Michael, it's a great piece.

The story comes out much clearer in colour as opposed to the pencil sketches. We can see what's happening around the playground.

Like Theresa says, well done on doing it so well in watercolour.

*Ed

Dianae
08-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh wow, I sooo love it :D Excellent idea and my hat off for the execution! Very good work!

pap87
08-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Haha, that's great! Love the expression on her face.
Lol at the kid at the swings!

Iridyse
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
The expressions and the body language is just wonderful! I really like those goofy snakes :D So cute!

Squibbit
08-10-2006, 03:57 PM
cool pic :thumbsup:

JTD
08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Love this picture, Walrus. It's so funny and well done! I see you've got some of your works in ImagineFX as well. Great job all around. You are a boon to this community!

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.