PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Lars Götze

Duracel
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Lars Götze is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9925)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Airship - Step 10
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148613517_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3580881#post3580881)

PSych
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Lars!
Welcome to the challenge! :)
Good Luck.

Lync
03-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Welcome and good luck. Have fun with your Journey :)

R-K
03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Duracel! sijun team for the victory! :beer:

artvandeley
03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Dura!
Make us proud of you :thumbsup: Go for it!

Kyena
03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
uhoh..a real canditate for the big prizes :)
viel glück - subscribing!

digitaldecoy
03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Duracel, go for it! I´m looking forward to your work!

Duracel
03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141436467_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141436467_large.jpg)

Rough start. Trying to capture the first idea, the scene as i imagined it before. Blocking with some first values.

Duracel
03-04-2006, 12:44 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141436673_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141436673_large.jpg)

Going on blocking everything rough in and trying to find a good composition.

Duracel
03-04-2006, 12:50 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141437037_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141437037_large.jpg)

Mainly added some color and lighting.

Duracel
03-04-2006, 02:01 AM
First of all thanks for commenting!

Well, i prefer starting with some sort of "speedpainting" as you can see.
Those first steps didn't take that long. I just throw some values on canvas to capture what i imagined.
So well, starting with a speedpainting isn't that right, i start with just thinking and imagining the first day; jast lay down, close your eyes and dream. It works for me to get all important things together in mind first. You can easily switch ideas, or perspectives or everything - way faster than with a pen in your hand drawing. And most times you get hooked by one scene or at least one or two elements, so you can imagine a bit in detail ... until you need to put it down to make it clear.
The better you imagined the easier it is to block it in.
As you can see if you compare the first two steps, i still have problems thinking of the picture as a whole. So getting all things i imagined in one frame isnt that easy. In mind there is always space left ... no real borders. But you have to crop the scene somewhere.
I still have to train that.

Ok, now what im going to show in this piece.
As you can see the scene plays in front of an airship in docks. I chose this as mixture of one of my favorite themes "pirates/ships" and some "fantastical elements" to let the journey be even more impressive and not as usual, so everyone can make his own thoughts what the journey could look like and not being that committed as if it were with "normal ships".
I blocked in all important persons very rough, just to place them in composition. So just i may see them yet, but you'll soon. Well, im not sure if im going to draw them first, or going on speedpainting ... figures are easier to draw than to paint ... even for me, hehe. ;)
Anyway. There is a young kid - the main focus should be there in the end - with his litte white dog going on this journey and going on the ship leading the viewer into this journey. To the right, there sits an old man with his old dog, just watching the little guy, representing some kind of "to where the journey leads in the end". To the left, there is the kids father, shaking hands with the captain, representing this "change in life", the past and the future.
Beside those main charakters im going to paint some working men in background bringing some life to the scene.

So what is the challenge to me? Except trying to win some prize, hehe. :D
Well, im firm with such a pirates/conquest theme, but in this case its my first real try of telling a story with more than one or two characters.
This also was some point i started with thinking ... one Person, a group? And i came up with this.

Well, thats it so far. Hope you enjoy.

Zork
03-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Fantactics concept, good luck duracel !!!

iamawizard
03-04-2006, 04:41 AM
waiting 2 c the WIP

good luck

walrus
03-04-2006, 06:03 AM
REally nice concepts to far. I love the composition where the balloon takes up so much of the upper part of the image. I'm looking forward to seeing you refine your sketches... good luck!

-mike

MechaHateChimp
03-04-2006, 07:26 AM
I gotta agree with everyone so far, thats a beautiful concept you have going so far. I like how you are developing the color in the last sketch. It does feel a little crowded though, I think maybe decreasing the amount of space the balloon takes up could give it a little more room to breath. Great work so far! :)

leigh
03-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Love the concept! :thumbsup: Even though your painting is still rough and simple, I love the colour palette and I can see exactly what you have in mind.

Good luck!

W-I-L
03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
very impressive sketch mate.. love the idea too... cant wiat to see it tighten up

paperclip
03-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Great sense of atmosphere you have going there. I'm subscribing!
I'd like to hear more about the story though. Where are they going?

Squibbit
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I already like this alot, way to go :thumbsup:

Ramitxon
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Great concept and speedpainting. love your choice of colors. Go ahead and make an awesome image. Good luck to you.

artvandeley
03-05-2006, 08:45 AM
What? It´s pirates AGAIN????

Naa, just kidding, what an impressive concept you got here.
I know this gonna turn out really great. Maybe add a little more depth to it adding something in the foreground and a horizon.Thumbs up.

Louieville
03-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm really excited to see how this one turns out! I'm assuming that's kind of an airship? I love it!

OZOZOZ
03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I like the epoch you have chosen - the epoch of grait discoveries and inventions! your sketch looks very sensuous!

Cyberone
03-05-2006, 10:06 AM
comming up nice!!
a bit muddy even at this stage but im sure youll resolve that as you get along...

keep at it!!

Nigio
03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
I like your theme and the color scheme, but I think you maybe add a main subject on the foreground... dunno, I feel like if something o somewhat was missing.
Anyway, it´s only MHO

Duracel
03-05-2006, 01:14 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141568049_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1141568049_large.jpg)

Thanks all.

Artvandeley, very thanks for the hint with the foreground - totally forgot that, big mistake. ;)
A horizonline isn't planned. while it doesn't fit the perspective(the horizon should be somewhere about the kids head) the main reason is to focus more on the sky and the free space and give it a more dreamy feelin.
But to give some more depth to it, i put some stars in the darker part of the sky.

So, with this version im quite happy.
Next step will concentrate on the main characters. I decided to go back into drawing for this step. Stay tuned. ;)

umbrellasky
03-05-2006, 01:31 PM
I love the colours! Great lighting too.

I can't wait to see how this progresses :)

R-K
03-05-2006, 02:09 PM
incredible. Love the purple. Wow..

rawgon
03-05-2006, 02:16 PM
great atmosphere! you getting a really good sense of depth.

digitaldecoy
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
That's just a wonderful idea you got there, Duracel! I really like the design mix of the historial sailing ship and the ballon. Very nice how you integrated parts of authentic ship anatomy to the concept.

I'm very curious how you are going to handlel this massive ballon shape when detailing starts. That'll be a hard one I guess, since this space will need details (seams, dirt...) which have to follow the round form quite exactly so that this part does not visually flatten. But I'm sure you'll do a good job. I'm especially curious about the boy. I don't know how you are going to draw a connection between him and his father. I would definetely like an emotional moment between those two. Ok, enough talk! Happy painting!

GaeasHerald
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Wow... I'm suscribing to this thread right now...

KOryH
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow that is very cool.
I would only suggest giving us a bit more of the dock or harbor. It may help set the scene a bit more. Right now we are a bit too tight to really get a feeling of the grand scale of the air ships or environment. I think Disney's Treasure Planet did this quite well. Maybe look to that for some inspiration.

artvandeley
03-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Even better. But i agree with KoryH, you definitely need some more space in that scene . Maybe a little change of perspective will do the trick. And while you´re at it you should give the rope on the balloon a second look.

Apart from that: Supercool.

Admit it , you´re not only going for one of the prices, you also leaving a lot of space for the
logo of the book-title :applause:

slickgreekgeo
03-06-2006, 05:17 AM
It's coming together quite well. I really like the idea, it goes very well with this challenge. Keep it coming, you're doing great so far.

Zycho
03-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Wow, really nice work! Though I also think it's a bit crowded... Maybe having the balloon take up less space (like having it further above the ship, so you only see the bottom) would improve it a bit..?

Otherwise I love it! And you've chosen a very good color-scheme for this.

grobouk
03-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Nice concept, i'm very curious to see the final picture

KrotArt
03-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Excellent idea:)
I already love it:)

I wait for the ending

paperclip
03-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Hmm...I rather like the fact that the balloon takes up so much of the space. I wouldn't put extra room on either side... what I would do is try and exaggerate the perspective more, like the difference you get if you use a wide angle lens instead of regular lens. I think that could really bring out the balloon size while at the same time maintaining the great composition you have going there.

Just a thought anyway.

Duracel
03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Your definitely right ... and i know it.
I think it looks fine so far, and if this would be some payed job, i would finish this version.
But there is something missing, something you didn't find in colors nor in details.
I could push a nice painting out of it, but i agree i have to make some big changes; its the right time; its still rough enough.

But im not sure which change could really help. As i said, i know you're right, but im as unsure as you, which change would really help without getting some other big problems.

In mind i would prefer some comic-strip - already imagined it ... you could have everything in therer - the big scale, some close up expressions, the realationship. But thats not the challenge this time.

To expand the canvas to the left wouldn't work, you have to crop your image somewhere. And i still have to face another problem i already was knewing of, the relationship between father and son ... digitaldecoy, you're putting your finger straight into the wound, 'ouch' but thanks. The figures i could not reduce in scale; they already hit the line of being too small. Just adding space to the left would kill'em.

A smart move of perspective and/or change of the lense could work, but i guess i have to sacrafice some parts for this and im still not sure if it really helps me out in this case.
I'll try it.

Well, i hoped it's just me seeing all those problems, but it aint. Damn. And a like the picture as it is. Damn again.
Guess i have to struggle more than i like to.

Thanks again!

Marjo
03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
wow !

I love it. really !

It looks like the idea I have....(except I don't want to make an airship but a simple ship)
But I just see your work right now.
Do you think I have to do something else ? :s

anyway, you're really better than me for drawing ^^"

iamawizard
03-07-2006, 03:53 AM
what u said was correct

it is not a concept sketch at all

it is just wat came 2 my mind when i heard the topic

i'm putting some time into my composition

the idea is about the journey that lead to the transformation of the world

i didnt have anything in my mind when i sketched

nice 2 get feedback on a very primitive idea

thanks pal

hope 2 make my piece better

good luck

tilite
03-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Wow that is very cool.
I would only suggest giving us a bit more of the dock or harbor. It may help set the scene a bit more. Right now we are a bit too tight to really get a feeling of the grand scale of the air ships or environment. I think Disney's Treasure Planet did this quite well. Maybe look to that for some inspiration.

That advice is spot on. This piece has excellent potential. Can't wait to watch it progress! :)

Chinasky
03-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Dura, give us more steps! The direction ist definitly the right one! :applause:

Dutchman
03-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Really amazing stuff Lars! :bowdown: I really like the level of 'detail' you built in: when I look at your last WIP from a 2-metre distance it looks so detailed (probably because of the nice shading/highlight touches?! :) )! :drool:

Your style is awesome and the mood is gonna be perfect! I can't wait for your next update! :arteest: Have fun & find luck! ;)
-Gijs

azazel
03-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Hah, gotta love airships :) I like the composition as it is now - but more spacious cropping IMo wouldn't harm. Maybe even making it in landscape orientation - especially if you could make the airships bit longer, more 'sleek' ;). Anyway, good luck :)

Duracel
03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1142463398_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1142463398_large.jpg)

As i mentioned im still not sure about the composition so i tried a different one.
But i feel the same about this as i had in mind - its not the right, too.

hmm ... ...

MichaelZHsee
03-16-2006, 02:37 AM
some great progress here~i like the color ur going with~composition wise~i think i'll show more of the balloon of the airship.waiting for more :)

artvandeley
03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Nope. That´s not what you´re looking for ( i assume :rolleyes: ).

You need , to take it literally, more air in this one.
But by extending this canvas you eventually end up working on one those square formats you love so much :D

Keep looking..

-NG-
03-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Excellent concept, liking it thusfar. :) Perhaps removing the pillar in the center, gives a different feel to it?As my eye is mostly directed towards it.

Duracel
03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1142518016_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1142518016_large.jpg)

Artvandeley, you're right. This was not a real try for the final composition but a test to see whats missing in the vertical one.
And you're right, i keep avoidung the logical inbetween, the ultimate square, *shiver*. :D

So with this new version i tried to combine the new elements i need with the old composition and of course without getting a sucking square. :D
I think i get close to the final arrangement.

domclubb
03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
beutiful concept. The colours are spot on. The composition is brave but very effective. The ballon gives an epic sense of scale. The size of the characters worry me. I know theres alot to cram in but i wonder if the main character, the boy with the dog, should be more prominant. I would like to see his face and the emotions he has about the journey ahead. I'm being a bit picky here because the image is so good. Good luck with this.

shinryushou
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Awesome colouring . Can't wait to see more .

digitaldecoy
03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Dura, I know you like it to place figures with their backs to the viewer but in this case I think the picture lacks the epic scope to make it work. We do not see much of the world so we will concentrate on the emotions on the figures. But when he turns his back to us we are left out of his story and we will have to watch the scene as an anonymous bystander who by chance catches a scene where a boy boards an airship. This is also emphasized by the very small space you reserve for the middleground which holds the whole story. You should definetely search for a better solution for the foreground. It should enhance the depth of the scene and not block the sight to the interesting stuff. At least that's what I think.

paperclip
03-16-2006, 07:26 PM
How about having figures in the foreground? They can be holding a conversation or something while all this amazingness goes on in the background.

artvandeley
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I´m with Daniel on this point, Duracel.
The other thing i would like to point out is that you should ( even in this early state) consider to get a decent perspective on everything. This would help to establih more depth.
Well, think so...
(I know that you can achieve that without 3D Progs,so please do me the favor,at least it would help me to look at this ennoying baloon :D )

Vahn
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
yo duracel .. i like the feel of this sketch. Its nice how the baloon frames the scene i think its a cool idea. Altough i agree with the others about the characters. What are they looking at ? are they looking at the sea ? are they watching people who supply the ship ?
would be cool to put them into the foreground :D

cheers :beer:

MDN67
03-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Just for said: no problemo for me it's interesting to see your vision of this theme:thumbsup:

CodeNothing
03-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I love the color in this piece! This is going to look awsome when its all tightened up. great work. :)

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2006, 05:37 AM
simply great. fantastic mood, great composition, very very promissing. keep it up :cool:

kidster
03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Great concept and painting !!! keep it this way !!!
Good luck ! i'll keep an eye on ya !:scream:

Hexodus
03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice to meet you here duracel. I love the idea of the picture - flying galeons. It allready starts looking great.

Duracel
05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148458722_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148458722_large.jpg)

Well, here is just a contest going on, am i right?

Well, i think i have to hurry this time ... ;)

Well, i dind't give up, it was just a mixture of "no time"(or concentration on other things) and a feeling i missed something i couldn't see ... so i needed a bit distance ... well, was also thinking of totally redo this picture.
Now, its not that much time left, and i have to finish it till Friday morning, because im away this weekend.

And don't like to give up ... sorry, mates! :D

(Edit: ups, forget to flip it again ... well, anyway)

Duracel
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148468646_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148468646_large.jpg)

It's going round! :)

Some notes:
The two men standing around facing the child to show their relationship and to lead the focus to the child .. also i try to make the child look like the father(same haircolor, same coat - still not clear enough)
Also i put the rising moon into the picture to get light and highest contrast somewhere around the child, to lead the focus from the overall view to that area.

Well, im quite happy with this direction now, and im sure i will handle all minor problems. ... sometimes tight deadlines push the best out of yourself. :)

digitaldecoy
05-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Man to finish THAT in such a short time is nothing short of daredevilish! I wish you good luck on the crunchtime!

And get this barrel on the crane seperated form the ship's hull. The way it is now does look "uncomfortable".

Duracel
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148494912_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148494912_large.jpg)

Im going more and more into detailing ... nothing special.

Thanks to you, Daniel ... the position of the barrel wasn't fix, but you make me think about that and i guess its way better now. :)

alxcote
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Nice progress, the details on the balloon. my only advice would be to watch out for your focus/composition.. make sure the ballons don't take too much of the attention and flow well with the rest.

good luck duracel!

alx

Duracel
05-26-2006, 03:18 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148613517_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9925/9925_1148613517_large.jpg)

Didn't worked all day and night - big mistake ... time flies ... i won't get it to somewhat you can call finish.
Still too many parts i cannot rush ... where i have to concentrate on form and work in mind not just stupid detail repeating exercise on the balloons texture or something ... and for sure, there is no time left for overall adjustments of lighting and color, to get it all together to a winning piece.

I sure will finish it, but not in time.
And of course i wish i did it in time; and if it'll be finished ... even more!
Anyway, im no magician and i've learned my lesson, i guess. ;)
Just re-checked-in a bit tooo late.

But count on me on the next contest; i'll come back then.

I wish you all good luck for the judgement!

SideAche
05-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Keep going. Post what you've got at the end. This is too nice to let pass. Excellent work.

AWaqas
05-26-2006, 03:55 AM
This is really pretty.. I hope you can finish it in time.. Great entry like this shouldnt miss the deadline, anyway.. all the best!! :thumbsup:

danblomberg
05-27-2006, 12:30 PM
speedpaint for win.

That first sketch is soo cool.

I've been following you for a couple of years... and you got the attitude that i think will take you veery far(llooks awesome as we speak too!)... and the best thing is.. i think you're completely aware of it! :D haha

Stay cool.

walrus
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
It's a great image. Sad to see you didn't have enough time to devote to it, but I hope you'll keep going on it and post it at some point when it's finished. Good luck!

-mike

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.