PDA

View Full Version : Problem using RPFs, how

sboyd
02-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Greetings, I have a question about using 3D effects in RPF files.

I have rendered RPF sequences in Cinema 4D and imported them into Adobe AfterEffects. I am trying to use the depth information to make a depth of field blur and also fog effects. Every time I try this I get some sort of problem with the effect. The areas that are in focus always have pixelated halos around them when I use a blur or fog. When I use a blur, the area in focus looks ok except for the edges of the objects, and the blur bleeds into the background. It's almost like AE is ignoring the alpha channel in the RPF files, or not antialiasing the alpha channel.

I have incorporated all the options (depth, objects buffer, coverage, non-clamped color, etc...) into the RPFs. I have tried using AEs built-in 3D effects (Depth of Field, 3D Fog), and I have also tried using adjustment layers and using the RPFs as a luma matt for the adjustment layers. This method look a little better than using the built-in functions, but the edges of the areas of focus still have pixelated halos. Anyone know what I could to fix this?

Wurzelsepp2000
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Hey guys!

Iīve the same problem.
I know the z channel in rpf files has no antialias and I have to use the coverage channel to do the antialias for the z.
But how to do that? Everyone said: "Use coverage for antialias" but no one had an idea how that works!
Some ideas?

m|3
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Perhaps AE has interpreted the alpha channel for the RPF incorrectly. Try changing it's settings from Straight Alpha to Pre-multiplied or vice verca.

torbjorn
11-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Funny, I get the same problem! All jaggy, can't seem to get it to work... :/Hoping for someone to reply and help here ;)

Mylenium
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Everyone said: "Use coverage for antialias" but no one had an idea how that works!
Some ideas?

It doesn't. You'd have to pre-compose or use a duplicate as a matte and both techniques ruin your 3D-ishness. Anyway, dunno why people put ub with ZBlur in the first place (looks like crap). The simple and obvious solution would be to get the depth using 3D Channel Extract and then use either AE's own Lensblur effect or third-party plugins such as Lenscare. I know it sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it (unless osme nice guy at Adobe fixes this mess or a clever plugin programmer comes along).

Mylenium

Wurzelsepp2000
11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Aha.... ok

Whatever. I donīt haunt the idea to use rpfīs for lens blur anymore. I tried LENSCARE and I tried DOFPRO (for photoshop) and DOFPRO is much easier to use and produce almost perfect results. You are able to just use depth maps. So itīs not necessary to make a focal map. You can specify your focus later, you can use it for animations, you can set keyframes and itīs much cheaper.
And for the fog....
(I use it with some semi-transparent particles, like plankton, so I canīt use the standard max fog)
Iīll find a way! :)

nikfaulkner
11-27-2006, 04:03 PM
i use rpf's all the time in after effects. the trick to get around the no anti aliasing is this........

(please bear with me, i'm doing this from memory as i'm not in front of my main machine)

i use lightwave for this but it should work in any software

1- render your scene as normal with no rpf data (i tend to use the png format)

lets say we're rendering PAL 16.9 square pixel (1024 x 576)

2- turn off all lights, fog, shadows, textures and anti aliasing etc in your 3d scene and set your camera to be

twice the size as the original render (2048 x 1152). then render this out with the rpf data. your images should be

black and take hardly any time to render but still contain depth data.

3 - load up after effects and set your comp to be the same size as your colour render(1024 x 576) then import your

rpf sequence and place it on the timeline. shrink this down so it fits your comp (this is now antialiasing the rpf

data, clever huh?)

4 -right click on the rpf sequence in your project window then on "set proxy" then "file". choose your colour

sequence.you should now have the colour sequence on your timeline useing the 3d data from the now anti aliased rpf

file. phew

5- i then use the depth of field and fog effects in the 3d channel group under the effect menu.

easy as that :)

n

nikfaulkner
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM

Wurzelsepp2000
11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Hehe, ok. :) I know the trick with the double size. But the last one I heart of was to render your WHOLE scene in double size. And thatīs definitely not possible. But only using the 3d data from rpf and split the color data from it using png, tif or whatever is a good idea.

Iīll give it a try. For fog effects... Iīll still use DOFPro for the depth of field effects! :) Too good to let it get dusty

(Holy crap, I hope my english is good enough to let you understand all the things I wanna say)

Blabberlicious
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
i use rpf's all the time in after effects. the trick to get around the no anti aliasing is this........

(please bear with me, i'm doing this from memory as i'm not in front of my main machine)

i use lightwave for this but it should work in any software

n

I do this all the time. Depth maps aren't alaised. Also render then 16 bit, if you want to get maximum adjustment for use as cheap bur, etc.

Out of interest, what do you use to get motion/light data in/out of LW & AE?

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.