PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Daniel Lieske

Pages : 1 [2]

Ramitxon
05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi Daniel, I must say your final image is absolutely F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C man. I f I would have to choose a winner among all the great artwork around here it would be yours without hesitation. What I feel when I see it is like I were reading one of the books I loved in my childhood.
Congratulations!

MoonVisionStudio
05-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Bravo! Best of Luck!

BaronImpossible
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Bravo! We have a winner! Oops, maybe a bit premature, but it's a safe bet you'll win something.

SideAche
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Beautiful, One of my favorites.

digitaldecoy
05-11-2006, 05:58 PM
@ BaronImpossible:

You know, I don't feel quite comfortable with assumptions like that. I remember the "Master and Servant"-Challenge I joined in the past. I felt very confident in that challenge and I was totally sure that with my ideas and skill I would blast any competition. I drooled over the prices and I even figured out what to do with a new computer or Cintiq tablet. But that all was not reality. Reality was that I got totally stuck in a dead end with my painting, I totally screwed up the painterly execution and I had to throw away a work that had already cost me many hours of my life. I just underestimated the challenge of diving into a subject so deeply that you won't return to the surface for weeks or even months. My plan was week and my ambition was the wrong one - the nice prices pulled me toward the goal and I was not even aware of the fact that the real subject of the challenge - the painting - was braking apart right on from the beginning.

That all was a very uncomfortable experience. And when I finally got to the insight what went wrong I was ashamed of myself.

That's why I had quite a hard time to enter this challenge right from the beginning. It was the fear of failing again. The reason why I entered anyway was, that this time I had an idea I really wanted to develop. The picture of the boy on the attic came to me when I was laying in bed like a vision. I knew I wanted to paint it and a few weeks later there was this challenge announced with a theme that perfectly fitted my idea. Given my experience from my last challenge I knew that the real challenge for me this time would not be to make a better artwork than the other contestants - given the quality of the community members here I did not even think about that - but to simply finish this time with a painting that would be true to my vision. Can you imagine how much I connect to the little boy in the painting and his fear to go on a journey he does not know the outcome of? I guess you can.

So, in a way you are right. We have a winner here. I consider myself being victorious over my fears and my egoistic tendencies. I finshed my journey, I reached my goal and I am happy.

If my painting will be among the contest winners that's a whole other question and I guess the only ones entitled to answer that will be the judges. Let's not try to do their jobs!

sorry for the rambling but I felt like talking about that stuff. Thanks for your nice comments anyway. I appreciate them although I have my little issues about them. :)

dyren
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
sounds like, in your words, you've already won and that's fantastic. and if you get a prize for your work so be it.

personally, i think you deserve it.

fantastic work. 'nuff said.

BlackDidThis
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Hmmm... yes we definitely have a winner here...
If the award turns out to be only your self accomplishment (which to my humble opinion, is the ever greater)... then we not only have a winner but also a group of judges that I definitely can not agree with.
What position I wouldn't know. But I would so like to see your work some where up there in the listings...

You seem to have gone a long way and succeded to present us a world so easy to take part of.
I close my eyes for a simple blink and I am taking that little boys steps into my earlier series of many adventures. An emotion that not every entry is capable of providing.

Your idea is not an extreme to any rate... but the way you have executed the concept is amazing. And it is really difficult to define "Journey" any stronger.

I wish you the best of Luck... even though I am convinced you shall be needing little of it.

Black

lukx
05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I hope you win! I'm in love with this image!I t's like having whole childhood in front of my eyes. All dreams where you wanted to go and do.

cgoz
05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
that's my favorite for sure...
nothing much to say.

ErichSchreiner
05-12-2006, 04:13 PM
in case i didn't say it already...VERY impressive piece, daniel...and very precise workflow too.

congratz... :)

Quills
05-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Wicked lighting - Jumanji eat your heart out! Like the fact he's kitted out for the adventure ahead....

Q

anticz
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Wow, another great entry. Best of luck to you, this is a wonderful piece.

Demeye
05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
ha nice...i deff feel you on this one. =)

mv
05-13-2006, 12:03 AM
That entry rocks. Excellent idea, Excellent painting.

Hideyoshi
05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
This has to be one of them most exquisitely well-thought and executed images I have seen in a VERY long time. It's so unbelievably rich in concept and essence that it's scary. And above all stands just the ultimately fitting rendering with truly satisfying lighting and the very attention to details.

This piece is enormous and mind-blowingly professional.

I wouldn't need to check all the other entries in order to say that this piece is my absolute favourite and will be among the winning entries for sure. And that's what someone like me says - a fan of sci-fi related, realistic works which stands in a total opposite to what your piece is.

Daniel, I wish you the best of luck!

Ich drück dir alle Daumen! :-)

MichaelZHsee
05-20-2006, 08:02 AM
in my eyes,u have won this thing,:thumbsup:apart from the fantastic exercution,i think this is one of the ideally and conceptually the best i've seen so far,wish u the very best of luck

ekah
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I became the boy in your image the moment I saw it. Lovely concept and execution. Funny, the last thing I noticed was the ball of yarn the boy is holding, and that totally completed this image for me. You illustrated that fear of the unkown perfectly. Fantastic work! You are also incredibly honest. Big, big kudos to you. Congratulations on completing the image, and good luck. :)

Squibbit
05-23-2006, 08:52 PM
great pic, dude

digitaldecoy
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Thank you, you guys! Thank you very much. I deeply appreciate your support!

warpy
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
absolutely one of my favorites, anyone wanna bet this one is taking a prize ?
i think it should atleast get some award :)

Slav
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
5 stars from me! ill let everyone else boost your ego. i am too lazy to type. :)

AWaqas
05-26-2006, 05:57 AM
OMG.. the ligting exceeded my imagination.. Great job man!! :thumbsup:

adrianis
05-26-2006, 08:19 PM
This image is my favorite !!

I like it a lot: all the details around the attic, the crayons, the courage and innocence, the desire of adventure but willing coming back to home... the company of the best friend: the teddy bear :love:

Daniel, Congrats! :applause:

KMcNamara
05-28-2006, 07:54 PM
The power of the imagination is incredible. Definately my favorite to win. Good luck!

fallofmart
05-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I've been looking through the entries and I must say, yours was the first one to really hit me.

The concept is absolutely amazing, I wish I had the ability to come up with ideas like this and not only that, to execute them so perfectly.

Top notch. I hope you take a prize for this one.

CoreyArtE
05-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Very emotional. Reminds me of the lion the witch and the wardrobe. Good job.

Nickillus
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I think this is a wonderful image, full of possibility and expectation.
Outstanding.

Cheers,
Nick

Dalton-Muniz
05-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I love that concept! Simple that!

Congratulations and Good Luck man!

ReinaldoRomero
05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
"That was totally wicked"

Nice job man, great concept, five stars from me...

zancan
05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Absolutely lovely. I feel definitely comfortable sitting there by his side, staring at the glowing unknown. But I also feel like my eyes are starting a long journey traveling from an object to another throughout the room. It's intimate, yet immense. I love it!

JoanOfArt
06-10-2006, 05:19 AM
Terrific work. Enjoyed discovering this charming image.

Neubius
06-10-2006, 09:17 AM
almost forgot to drop by and say good luck!!

... maybe it's because you don't need it ? ;)
wonderful work, hope to see you in the next one.

Neubius.

Rysh
06-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Daniel........I dont know what should I say!...I saw your work right now!
this is wonderful
this is greath!
this is amazing!
this is everything....oh my God let me see another time!...
:love: what a lovely little son!
he is thinking about journey...with his little sword...
oh little son..come on kill me with your sword...I like you...
I kill myself if this work dont get the grandprize:banghead: ...
this is the best work I saw in this challenge...
this is able to grandprize!...
I'm just telling my feeling about this work!
your idea can be a greath film too!
bravo!

very valuable art work!
your technic is * * * *
but your idia is * * * * *

keep up man!

maurodelia
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
yes, that are a strong candidate for the awards !

Nice idea e very well executed !

notpill
07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Congratulation:thumbsup::thumbsup:
i love your entry from the early brushstrokes.

iamawizard
07-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Congratulations Pal

urs was 1 of my favourites

CONGRATS

irananimator
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Congratulations daniel.

Mythmaker
07-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I was really glad to see this amongst the winners - It's such a magical piece! Well done! :thumbsup:

Chinasky
07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Congrats, Daniel. As expected... ;) :applause:

paperclip
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
:applause:

Congratulations on the win! Richly deserved as it's such a cool piece. How do you feel?

Reverence
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Congratulations Daniel.. well done... :thumbsup: as i said earlier on the challenge.. the details are great!!

TheDistiller
07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Your picture is so beautiful i can't find words for it. The whole mood is incredibly harmonious wow just wow ! :thumbsup:

Riddick
07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
You really deserve your place, and maybe much more!
This illustration is really great. The details on this picture, your lights, all is perfect!

walrus
07-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Congratulations, Daniel! A great piece, and well deserving of a great prize!

-mike

SideAche
07-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Congrats on placing 2nd with a wonderful image

John-Bellamy
07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
well done on the 2nd prize, wonderful piece of art. it now stretches across my two monitors:) congrats again

Dalton-Muniz
07-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I love that concept! Simple that!

Congratulations and Good Luck man!

Ha! Its so good when a great job has his recogniton!! Congratulations!! Wonderfull image!!

GonzaloGolpe
07-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Absoluty great!!you´ve done an amazing job, I´d give you another 1st prize but...hehe:thumbsup: Hats off to you!:applause:

Briareos
07-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Best piece in the show, congrats. :thumbsup:

chaitanyak
07-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Congratulations on making the winning list :)
was watching your work throught the course of the contest.

my 'journey begins' entry (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/entry.php?challenger=11111)

CarpeNoctem
07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Congrats on 2nd place ^o^
Honestly, you are my #1, because your painting is not only wonderfully done, but also 100% hit the nail of the theme. Well done!

digitaldecoy
07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow! Well, what should I say? I'm a bit overwhelmed here. When I browsed the CG Society news page yesterday morning and saw the link to the winner announcement my heart made a jump and when I clicked the link, scrolled down and saw my painting there I totally freaked out (you should have seen the faces of my colleagues at work).

I can only say congratulations to all the winners and runner ups, congratulations to CG Society for this wonderful contest out of which emerged such great artwork from all the artists and applause to all you wonderful people who offered me such great input and encouragement on this Journey. I enjoyed this challenge so much and a great deal of this enjoyment stems from the community over here. Thank you very much!

MoonVisionStudio
07-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Congratulations, your lighting, detail, and concept were dead on.

dufko
07-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I found your work very inspirational and "close to heart". wonderfull!

artvandeley
07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Like i told you already on the phone: you really deserve this price.
Especially including those DVDs , you were so eager for. Congratulations.

Thanks so very much for the insight of your work and your useful help with mine.

Hm, the downside is that for you there´s not much space left to improve in the next contest..haha.

Nee, bin nur neidisch :)

hdhcg
07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
:thumbsup: Congratulations,I love your work and I hope to make friends with you.

TR4d3r
07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
i like a lot this work...my fav

Smik
07-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I congratulate!!! Excellent work! It is visible that long travel is necessary to this guy.:thumbsup:

Grimreaper1981
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
...Your idea is not an extreme to any rate... but the way you have executed the concept is amazing. And it is really difficult to define "Journey" any stronger.

I wish you the best of Luck... even though I am convinced you shall be needing little of it.

Black

Well, i won't think up for an excuse, first for have not taken THIS challenge (which is another great piece in the line of challenges...) and second have not been part of THIS journey...Black already said it: it's not an extreme piece of art, but you've interpreted that in a way, which touches everyone of us....(is there any child out there, not liking attics...places of adventures with or without paintings leading into another dimensions...)

Have i said that i got a new wallpaper on my pc...?

Kind regards...:thumbsup:

ChrisNoeth
09-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Congrats Daniel!

I noticed this image before and I thought it should have won the first place. It is amazing!
Today I realized it is from you Daniel :) ... great!!! It is one of the best images I have seen in a long time.

btw: Du wirst mich in Zukunft öfter in Deinem neuen Forum sehen ;)

Viele Grüße,

Chris

designerkan
09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
only one word ; awesome.

kaladen
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Just saw the next painting and dicover there was a begining to the story, awesome !
I wish I could see an entire illustrated book with the story, this would be great.

Keep them coming, that's a pleasure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.