PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer! check it out if you never have

monovich
02-28-2006, 07:51 PM
After having used LW for 7 years, I FINALLY cracked open Motion Mixer today because I'm learning basic rigging and it seemed the next step.

To get started I opened up the web-based LW help and ran through the little tutorial.

All I can say is: WOW! Why did I not open this earlier?! This has the tools to do so many things so much simpler than I've done them before.

Specifically for me, I often create camera moves that, say, moves on the X and Y axis, then banks on the H and B axis. Later I try to create an ease for that camera move, and I try to hand-match all of my eases between channels. Sometimes it works, but it's always annoying. With motion mixer I could have just defined that camera move and all of it's channels as a motion, then in Motion Mixer made a global ease of all of those camera channels with just one envelope. SO MUCH EASIER. ahh!

Anyway. it takes 2.5 seconds to figure out motion mixer, and if you haven't cracked it open, I encourage you to try. It's not just for character animation, it's more like sliders on stereriods. cool stuff.

this program has so much under the hood, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever learn it all...

-sf.

adrencg
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
No spam in this newsgroup please! :)

I use it often too. Mainly for character hands.

Mike

cornbreadandham
02-28-2006, 09:41 PM
bugzilla, those are some sweet tutorials. Thanks for the contribution and time!

bugzilla
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I am using Motion Mixer extensively in my feature film. In fact, I don't think I could get it done without it. I have several tutorials on my website concerning MM with more on the way. Check them out here:

http://www.digital-sorcery.com/goodies.htm

pixelranger
03-01-2006, 12:16 PM
wow, cornbreadandham! What time zone do you live in??

cornbreadandham
03-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I have a time machine :)

wesrm
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey Bugzilla! Thanks for making these tutorials. I have been struggling with MM for awhile now.I have been looking for some MM tutorial videos. THanks again! Wes

wesrm
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Bugzilla,

Great Tutorials! I really enjoyed the first one. I have been reading about using weight curves and it was nice to see an example. I have been looking for some good MM tutorials for awhile. Thanks for making these videos.

One thing I was hoping the videos would cover in more depth was how to make the animations that are brought into MM. When you are making motions, for example the flying motion you created, do you have to make sure that the motion is loopable? I noticed that you seem to create all of you motions starting with the character in the default position. Do all motions need to begin and end in this default postion for the motions to be able to mix together? I guess I am still confused on how to correctly setup an animation that is created into a motion. Also, how do you get a character to move through a scene? It seemed in the video, that you left the main mover bone out of the dragon character so you could move the dragon around the scene, while the MM animations were playing. Can you please explain how you would animate a motion that will be brought into MM?

It looks like such a valuable tool. I like how you had all of those motions for your dragon character and to create a specific sequence, you just mixed the different motions together.

Thanks,

Wes

bugzilla
03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Bugzilla,

Great Tutorials! I really enjoyed the first one. I have been reading about using weight curves and it was nice to see an example. I have been looking for some good MM tutorials for awhile. Thanks for making these videos.

One thing I was hoping the videos would cover in more depth was how to make the animations that are brought into MM. When you are making motions, for example the flying motion you created, do you have to make sure that the motion is loopable? I noticed that you seem to create all of you motions starting with the character in the default position. Do all motions need to begin and end in this default postion for the motions to be able to mix together? I guess I am still confused on how to correctly setup an animation that is created into a motion. Also, how do you get a character to move through a scene? It seemed in the video, that you left the main mover bone out of the dragon character so you could move the dragon around the scene, while the MM animations were playing. Can you please explain how you would animate a motion that will be brought into MM?

It looks like such a valuable tool. I like how you had all of those motions for your dragon character and to create a specific sequence, you just mixed the different motions together.

Thanks,

Wes

I will make some more tutorials soon regarding the questions you asked here. I was just having some problems with my screen capture software so once I fix that, expect more tutorials on the way.I will make them part of my podcast, so if you subscribe to that you won't miss any new tutorials. Here's the link to put into your podcatching software.

http://www.digital-sorcery.com/web/XML/dwars_production.xml

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.