PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid texturemap distortion?

Velocamonkey
12-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Hello I've got a question about texturing.
Right so I've got a low polygon model. Different polygons on him have different ID numbers and those different areas have different UV mappings on them set at mapping channels which correspond with the ID numbers. I'm then using a Multi/Sub-object material with all these materials in it.

Okay, long boring and pointless intro over, apologies. Anyway, my stacks like Editable Polygon, Mesh Select, UVW,Mesh Select,UVW and so on from the bottom up.

Now, I need to understand how to use Texporter and UVW edit in conjunction.

As I understand it UVW edit is to avoid warping of the texture map, is this right? And I actually use TEXPORTER to export to Photoshop where I can paint the actual texture? So how would I use this and Texporter together? Any tips?

And also how would I have it in my stack, would I Mesh Select, UVW map,UVW edit, and finally Texporter??

Thanks for your time.

Shogun
12-26-2001, 08:19 PM
Texporter doesn't show up in the stack, you access it through the utilities panel. (The hammer tab anyway.) All you do is figure out what object you want to map & pick it, using the correct pixel width & height (or higher if you're scaling down).
The texporter site should have some more info, but another way to approach it would be to "skin" the model. if you check polycount (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount) they will have some tutorials & also check out chilliskinner (http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/chilliskinner/) which is a free maxscript that can help with the low poly skinning process & has some good tuts on its site.

Velocamonkey
12-27-2001, 10:11 AM
Thanks, I've been checking out polycount and other tutorials on the net and I'm pretty sure I understand it all now.
Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.