PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Gunilla Elam

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Gunilla
04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1144593482_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1144593482_large.jpg)

DoF added in Photoshop

thedirtypaw
04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
nice lamp ! i got it! now i know why when i look at the pic it doesnt give me the ideea of a leg: its like the mites are in a valley of something orange with some hair. if you make the plane on wich the move around (or just chillin') convex insted of concave so its like an arch that goes from left to right from base and up to the middle and then back to the base in the right it will give the sensation that the mites are on somethin. watch the scale though. nice lamp !

Zapan
04-09-2006, 05:19 PM
W0000t !

Looking awesome !! Totally cool new lighting ! everything's great now , all I can do now is shut up and stare the mites journey !! weee !

Really cool lamp btw , great addition to situate the spectator in the scene !

Flying Gunie !!

cheers ,

-Steph

scootermaya
04-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Heyyyy ! This is really looking good now! I can't say the idea of having those on me is great , but still, they're funky ! I love their look. I agree for the lamp, very good, very good.

Flying Gunie !!

A fly among mites ... hmmmmm :thumbsup: cool :bounce:

Gunilla
04-09-2006, 07:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1144607672_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1144607672_large.jpg)

Did a test with GI and Final gather ... pretty cool, eh? :)

Gunilla
04-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Nicolau - I think the tricky part here is to maintain the feel that they're on something huge... from their view. I'll try it, thanks. Thanks for liking the lamp :)

Steph - ahaha, wouldn't call it flying, really :blush: But thbks... what do you think of this new version for lighting?

Scooter - thank you, and my goal is to make everyone love their little house pets - or should I call it body-pet? :D

OK - so I finally did a test with GI... turned out quite interesting I think - might work if the background gets darker, any thoughts?

antone-m
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Tony - come on now, be fair - you got to give poor Dinomite some credit here! After all you where the one naming him :D

ok u got me Dinomite win this time
sorry jelly bug but ur sister needs some encouragment .. where are u going .... no don`t leave me :cry: lol she is angry with me now
by the way jelly bug & dinomite are a she right ? lol

Womgoose
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM

EWW!
I'm gonna start itching if I keep checking out your thread :P
Great work ;)

medunecer
04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Simply astounding! You're on the right way with the light! The skin is perfect!

shakes
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
wow, looks great Gunilla..! very dramatic- got a real creatures of the night feel to it!
the skin looks superb, and I love the glowing mites.it's really getting your trademark look to it.

oceanbluesky
04-10-2006, 03:43 AM
like the glow you have started putting on these characters, scene elements

Zapan
04-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Morning Gunie !

Thuddd**klooonk¤¤ (sound from something falling down in a hard and sudden way) :argh:

WHAT !! another update ? :surprised and a wonderful one :applause: !

Some really great ideas in there I love the way the mites are lighted for the bottom ! .... Some issues to fix tho , few areas are a little bit like lava you know ... but it is pretty cool !!

Fly Gunie , fly !! as a real swedish bird !! kvidde-vitt , kvidde-vitt ... ....:bounce:

have a great day !

cheers ,

-Steph

daWinky
04-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Morning Gunie!

Hey, great update, your definitely on the right way, the latest lighting looks fine:thumbsup: ! The skin is much more convincing now, the only disturbing part is still the dark area in the background (looks like clothing with hairs growing on it:scream: ).
The background is really nice now with the new wallpaper patterns, the lamp and curtain...only the moon looks like an artefact on the curtain. Just a little more work here and there and I'm sure this is going to be another amazing scene:bounce: ...
Happy tweaking!

-sabrina

DimitrisLiatsos
04-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Most of the things i wanted to say , already been said by Sabrina.:). So i am here only for support/push thinky! :bounce:

Lemog
04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Morning Gunie...

some good updates here... the skin is much better now... for sure...
The DOF is a really good addition, and about lighting, I think a mix between the glowy previous one and the one before can works very good... with maybe light touches for the background... not all more clear, but just only to watch better some parts, to really understand the scale and the environment at the first sight...

In other hand, finally remain you much time until the end... you can do many interesting test and search...

Have a great day Gunie... :thumbsup:

warpy
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
umm a bit disturbing.. what is it?

SoniaNotRed
04-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Sonia - hi there, good to see you! Why aren't you in this time? It's a fun topic - I don't think I've seen so many original concepts around as in this one, so nice :)

Sadly, my imagination died on me... :sad: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) And so did my internet... :rolleyes:
I guess things just aren't going my way... :D

Love the background and the new lighting but, like thedirtypaw, I find there's something strange about the foreground...
I think it's maybe something with the transition from the normal perspective of the leg to the microscopic one. I can't think of anything that might help, though... :sad: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Gunilla
04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Oh - this is so great, all feedback is really welcome, thanks guys!

Tony - jellybug and dinomite female? hmmm ... not quite sure, how do you check? :D

Womgoose - thanks, and please itch some more :)

Marco - thank you, looks like the radiosity did it, thanks for bringing it up!

John - thank you, I'm glad to hear the night mood is still here even after brighten it so much!

Steph - haha, it seems I'm wearing the tiara only on weekends ;) Yeah, I need to take care of the lava ... it wont be easy since it's so pretty. thanks for cheering!

Sabrina - thank you, and agree - lots of tweaks to be made still. I'm a bit bothered by the dark midpart of the leg not working... do you think it's the shape? I think it needs to be dark to give the transition I'm after but I don't want it to look like hairy cloth! Thanks for lending your good eye!

Dimi - thank you, pushing is always fun :)

Lolo - thanks dear ... my thoughts exactly. I will do several types of renders and then go wild in Photoshop mixing them together. Glad you think I'm on the right way - and also a big thanks for your skin textures :thumbsup: I think that is in fact your heel, right?

warpy - disturbing, good! It's mites living off skin scrapes.

Sonia - oh, bad thing about loosing the internet, that is really frustrating!
And yeah, that is the most difficult thing with the transition - perhaps I can solve it with postwork.

thank you all for your great comments ( and spam :D) I will be a bit busy with other work this week so forgive me if I'm not around as much as usual ... hope to have some time later in the week. see ya'

thedirtypaw
04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
well the mites look hellish wich is very good but the strands look weird and not hair know what i mean dont you ? you might try to set the strand geomtry not to receive lightning or the light to not affec them, and you have another problem that the strands in the foreground are lighted in a way and the ones in the backgroun are lighted in a totally different way..

cheers :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Ah!! I have neglected spamming here and now there has been a lot of great progress! Can't wait to see more of this Gunie! The colors and the lighting are really cool ~ lots of warm colors and lots of contrast, which I love. Keep up the great work, sis! :bounce:

Cheers, :)

~"Beckie"

antone-m
04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Tony - jellybug and dinomite female? hmmm ... not quite sure, how do you check? :D

hmmm u got a point :bounce:
but hah not on me girl here is what a female bug look like !!
http://www.rce.rutgers.edu/images/photos/stinkbug/adult-female-full.jpg
it looks like dinomite lol

hhssuu
04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey man :) really nice (i just found out gunilla is a girls' name sorry) nice progress, i really like the detail and lighting, i think the composition is very interesting too, very suited for the image. I'm liking the way it's heading. keep going!!

SoniaNotRed
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure if the mites are walking on his foot or leg but if it's the foot you could have the ankle bone as a distant, more defined foreground "horizon" - a natural line that would effectively separate both perspectives, covering the tricky transition part and still retaining the look you're after (I think...). It would be a matter of making that "bump" a little bony, I guess...

A bit late but I hope it helps. :)

Gunilla
04-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Nicolau - I get your point... having the hair partially glowing is not realistic, but perhaps they would be percieved like that from a mites eye? I kind of like the way it separates the different areas from eachother... I have plenty of time left so I will be tweaking. Thanks for lending your eye :thumbsup:

Beckie - oh, how good to see you back in spam mode, it's been much to quiet around here lately :)

Tony - oh, nice bug! I have something similar in the garden... many times bigger than my mites :)

Chih-han - thank you! And thanks for commenting on the comp... it's a tricky one but I hope it will work in the end!
And don't worry - you're not the only one here thinking I was a man... (do I need to shave my legs?) :D

Sonia - great comments, thank you! Actually the ankle bone is there, like a bump just behind te last lava-hair... your comment makes me realise I need to define it better. The area where the mites are are the one between the ankle bone and the bottom of the feet - streched out perspective. I will try and make the bump bonyer :)

Thank you all for comments, the day have been spent with paid work (jipppiii!) - tomorrow I'll be at it again, have a nice evening!

scootermaya
04-11-2006, 06:13 PM
... it's been much to quiet around here lately :)

Whaaattt ?
No more spamming in your tread ? Can I ? Can I ? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ThierryS
04-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey cool lighting on that last render, you really start to capture that microscopic type of picture, that glow under each hair makes it even more credible. Still as funny as ever too haha!

rattlesnake
04-11-2006, 06:54 PM
great updates man, have no complains for it..keep on the good work friend!

Zapan
04-11-2006, 09:44 PM
it's been much to quiet around here lately

who should we blame for that ? :curious: :scream:

soapy
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow super nice work Gunilla! The whole overall look is coming together really well.

One thing that bothers me slightly is the arrangement of the mites. They look like they are lined up like football teams. Shouldn't they be mixed together more?

KangarooMan
04-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi there Gunilla,

That it is, the scene itself is really looking cool! :applause: I especially like the light coming in the window, it has a great feel. Everything is looking top notch! :D

Matt :)

mdavid
04-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Seeing a whole bunch of mites together definitely makes them look better. They have a really determined look about them. I'm enjoying this one a lot

Gunilla
04-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Morning!

Scooter - yay, spam from you is always welcome ... go ahead! :D

Thierry - thank you! I'm glad you like the under light hairs - it just turned up and I sort of like it too!

Jorge - thanks for support - it keeps me going!

Steph - argghhh... I know, I've been to busy with annoying offline stuff :banghead: Hope to do better now!

Jim - glad you mention it... the placement of them bothers me a bit too. They look dropped and not posed, which is the truth... I haven't rigged them yet. I was thinking of making them arrive in caravans to team up at the meeting point in the front, and mixing the spieces are a good idea. Thanks!

Matt - thank you! And I think it's beginning to slip into place :)

Mark - thank you - if I only now can make them look more needy and sympathetic my goal is reached ... a long way still I think.

So, I have been moving slowly partly because of other obligations and partly because I'm not sure what to do next... rigging mites perhaps?
Thank you for your continous energy boosts :)

makaron
04-12-2006, 08:15 AM
I was thinking of making them arrive in caravans to team up at the meeting point in the front, and mixing the spieces are a good idea.

sounds perfect... :bounce:

Poonks
04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Wooow this come better and better here, i can't wait to see more

Go bugs GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :scream:

daWinky
04-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Morning Gunie!

Just here to push you to work!:twisted: No itchy updates these days...
Busy with paid work...good to hear:) ...but we want to see more mites:bounce: !

Have a nice day!

-sabrina

mr_carl
04-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi Gunilla,
just whanted to say nice progress nad it looks reallt sweet :scream:

Carl.

Zapan
04-13-2006, 10:54 PM
We're all in lack of http://images.leportailweb.com/clips/smiley/ipb/poster_spam.gif lately .... :blush: ...

Gonna watch the weekend tiara update tornado anyway ... :)

chears , :wavey:

-Steph

Lemog
04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Morning Gunie...

like Cadet... that smell here as a lack of something... spam don't know... maybe an update too ? :scream:
well... while waiting... I wish a very nice day... and Journey :wavey:

Gunilla
04-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Mona - thanks, hope to get them moving soon...

Poonks- thanks, glad you like it!

Sabrina - hi, thanks for pushing! I've been really slow lately, sorry!

Carl - thanks, and yours too :)

Steph, Lolo - thank you for noticing my absence... I had to rush from town some days to make a family visit, nothing serious ... I'm back now, with several free days ahead :)
Next is catching up with all your threads and playing a bit with the cat, making up to him for being left alone. After that might be mites :D

Rebeccak
04-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Cranky Spice: We're all in lack of http://images.leportailweb.com/clips/smiley/ipb/poster_spam.gif lately .... :blush: ...
I think my spam mode is in the crapper...it's certainly not that I don't love you guys! :D :D :D Quite the opposite! :) It's great to follow everyones' progress here, and Gunie you are creating inspiring mites! I really like the children's book illustration feel to your piece, it has a great palette! :thumbsup:

~Rk

makaron
04-14-2006, 08:50 AM
I really like the children's book illustration feel to your piece, it has a great palette! :thumbsup:

and I agree... when I see your mites... I hear voices in my head and see that childrensbook, about a mitedaycare... all the daycares around the world would be playing mites if you did that Gunilla... and I really hope you get the time to give us a mite update soon...

and of course, play some hide and seek with Muffen from me and the GPs http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/chick_24.gif

Gunilla
04-14-2006, 09:55 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145004926_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145004926_large.jpg)

I think I will use the dinomites for my turntable - I'm not sure how these things are setup, does this look OK to you?

Gunilla
04-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Beckie, Mona - thanks dudettes, and a childrens book...hmmm.... maybe it would be good for kids who are not alloud to have pets? :D

I'll have to catch up on the spamming to - I feel a bit behind!

Have a Happy Easter for those who celebrates it!

scootermaya
04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
That looks OK to me, but I didn't really look at the rules of turntable yet :D

:bounce: :bounce: Happy easter to you toooooooooo Gunnie ! :bounce: :bounce:

Gunilla
04-14-2006, 12:48 PM
And you too!! Not much serious today :)

http://www.bitspin.net/tmp/easter.gif

daWinky
04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Look what's coming out of this egg:D ...Nice weekend and happy Easter to you and the rest of the team!:wavey:

-sabrina

makaron
04-14-2006, 03:12 PM
like the turntable :) and love the egg... :)

glad påsk på re... http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/chick_25.gif

KangarooMan
04-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Gunilla, the Easter egg mite is too cute, I just hope there aren't any in my Easter eggs! :D I think that the turntable is looking really good. :applause: I submitted two of them. And I want to submit some more when the other characters are finished. I don't think they are for the actual entry but more for the judges. Not sure though. :shrug:

Rebeccak
04-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Hahaha Gunie, that's fantastic! :applause: Happy Easter to those that celebrate it! :)

Cheers,

~Rk

Womgoose
04-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Happy Easter Gunilla, thanks for the surprise present in the easter egg.

antone-m
04-14-2006, 07:18 PM
happy easter Gunie have a nice weekend :cool:

JurajMolcak
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
I submitted two of them. And I want to submit some more when the other characters are finished.

Hm, not really sure about this ´cause I read in FAQ that we can submit only one turntable for model ( or group of models ) best represented our concept.
Gunilla - looks all right to me. Happy Easter.

KangarooMan
04-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Hm, not really sure about this ´cause I read in FAQ that we can submit only one turntable for model ( or group of models ) best represented our concept.
Gunilla - looks all right to me. Happy Easter.

Odd I submitted two though, and I got the message saying that they uploaded fine both times. I did the first one early on in the challenge, and I didn't see anything about it in the FAQ then. :shrug:

JurajMolcak
04-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Odd I submitted two though, and I got the message saying that they uploaded fine both times. I did the first one early on in the challenge, and I didn't see anything about it in the FAQ then.

Have it :) Last answer by Mibus, just to let you know.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322536&page=12&pp=15
But, if there was no problem, it should be all right. Sorry Gunilla for blocking your thread :D

shakes
04-15-2006, 12:15 AM
your turntable looks great.good choice!
I only found out about turntables just now.eek

happy easter gunilla!
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6280/rabbitegg1003jg.gif

varma
04-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Turntable? Noooo, don't do that! It makes them so dizzy! :sad:
God påske!

Gunilla
04-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Sabrina - thanks and you too!

Mona - thanks, å du mä förstås! :)

Matt, Juraj - thanks for keeping the turntable talk here - I'm glad to find out I only need to do one- it kept my computer busy quit some time!

Matt- if you look very close I wouldn't be surprised if your easter egg is filled with these little critters :twisted: haha, don't worry they wont bite you!

Beckie - well, I thought it was about time I stopped being so d**d serious around here, glad you like it :D

Lee - you're welcome - be careful when you chew :D

Tony - and you too, Mr. Keep Going :)

John - thanks, it's rendered and done now, glad to have it over with!

Mathias -haha, I don't think the jury would accept that as a reason but I'm glad you're feeling for them :)

Thank you all for comments and cheering, hope to get something useful done over the next few days, see ya'

handlebar
04-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Looking good Gunilla, the turntable looks great, happy easter.

thedirtypaw
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
happy easter to all of you happy 3d addicts :) :beer:

Gunilla
04-15-2006, 07:32 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145125955_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145125955_large.jpg)

Started to test some possible ways for postwork - I will have a lot of pieces to bring together in PS in the end...
let me know what you think

MT-Cup
04-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Nice, I'm scratching already! :applause:

soapy
04-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Nice! It looks great. I just rememdered that the theme is all about the journey, I shudder to think of their destination... hahah.

mdavid
04-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Go mites go! Those little guys really look determined. They are clearly starting a great voyage

antone-m
04-16-2006, 04:44 AM
the dinomites are very shiny & the light is way more better yeah keep rocking:bounce:

makaron
04-16-2006, 06:36 AM
mr mite: hey... fellow mites and friends... :wavey: easterdinner is served!
mrs: mite: welcome to eat... it ready to munch!
guest mite nr 15: yeah! now we shall eat...
guest mite nr 8: I gonna eat so mush, I can roll down the calf on the way home... :p
guest mite nr 11: I´m gonna roll under the cover... *giggle*
father of guest mite 11: oh no my little girl... you gonna come home with us...
guest mite nr 11: OK... paps... but you have to put me in a wheelbarrow...
mother of guest nr 11: with your fahter then, like every every easterdinner, every year...
father of guest mite 11: :blush: but, but...

and then they eat, and eat... and still eating as far as I know.... or?

Gunilla, are they still eating at this festive party? ... :scream:

Climax
04-16-2006, 08:02 AM
hhhmmn I think I will take a shower right now.... :curious: thaks for remember those pets of ours :twisted::twisted: lol good job Gunilla! :thumbsup:

Womgoose
04-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Started to test some possible ways for postwork - I will have a lot of pieces to bring together in PS in the end...
let me know what you think

Brilliant, brilliant but totally gross :thumbsup:

ok ok... this is grossing me out now but I need to help gross it out even more.
Is the scene zoomed in enough for skin flakes, pores, freckles etc? EWW! I said it :(

Itchy itchy eww!

EDIT: Mona, you make me laugh so much :wavey:

Gunilla
04-16-2006, 03:32 PM
MT Cup - good! that's the desired result :D

Jim - hehe, yes - it's not for the weak to imagine. And thanks for reminding me, maybe it would be more clear if they all where on their way up instead of gathering at the foot?

Mark - the mites are happy for the cheering! And yes, they need to make that dangerous trip or die :eek:

Tony - I think this light works quite well, it's a bit bright on my screen but probably needed. thank you - I'll do my best to rock :thumbsup:

Mona - oh, what a drama! :D Just great, perhaps it could become a movie instead for a book? A family drama a la Bergman? :D

Omar - if my image can cause some kind of physical action, I've really made it :D
thinking about it - I need a shower myself, itch, itch :scream:

Lee - "skin flakes, pores, freckles" - now you're talking! :thumbsup:
loose skin flakes will be next, thanks!

There's something about the comp that bothers me... it seems very static but I don't know how to fix it, need to sort it out before my next update. Thanks for your interest and loyal itching!

Womgoose
04-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, these are just thoughts flying around in my head, so feel free to ignore them totally.

The shadows are pale on the background mites, maybe that contributes to the flatness you dislike?

This might be hard to do but everytime I look at the image I see/expect it to have one more mite really close to the camera and slightly out of focus.
Maybe even a trail of mites leading up to the camera and climbing on each others backs n stuff.

Eww EWW! Eww
*shiver*

Hmm or something like that maybe :shrug:

shakes
04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
gosh it looks good Gunilla! the lighting is beautiful, and the mites look just brilliant!

scootermaya
04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Gunnie, I really like the light tones you've put in there ... I can't wait to see the scene with flakes now (damm, the whole CG community is gonna scratch themselves now! :scream: )

KangarooMan
04-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi there Gunilla, now that is an invasion! :eek: I really like the lighting that youÄve setup for this scene. I am definitely itching to see it all come together in the final image! :applause: Keep those updates coming!

Lemog
04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Morning Gunie...

Even if some parts appear a bit flat... all appear for me very pleasant... colors, lighting... and mites :scream:

Maybe to have more depth in you picture, you can trick about the mites size... bigger in the foreground and smaller for those are far... like that, you don't have to modify the focal, and you obtain anyway the effect of depth... :)

flaeticia
04-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Gunie !
Soon Post effects and compositing :o :eek::bounce:
the Picture is really interessant. Very successful lighting ! cheer !

Gunilla
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Morning friends,

Lee - good thinking! I've added some more mites - one dinomite quite close... hope that will improve things... it will be there in the next render. :)

John - thanks - and I think it's slowly getting right for the lighting :)

Michel - haha, keep skratching! I've spent a lot of time yesterday trying to make good flakes...hmmm... not successful so far :shrug:

Matt - thank you, I will need a lot of time for the postwork, it seems like I have to render it all in pieces... hope to solve it in a good way :)

Lolo - thanks, and I think you're right... I already have differences in sizes but it can be made stronger, that would also show some of them better - I'd like to show off some of the textures. Glad you like the overall direction :)

Laeticia - thank you! And I've still a long way to go... :)

Daily life is catching up on me again ... there are some other things I need to focus on this week - work samples, job hunting and so on... so I will now enter snail mode again, thanks for cheering and have a good day!

Zapan
04-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Weeeeeee !

Omg so much progress again ... great turntable , no doubts the dino family is the best for this !
And great progress on the scene too ... so beautiful !!

Daily life is catching up on me again ... there are some other things I need to focus on this week - work samples, job hunting and so on... so I will now enter snail mode again,

nooooooo .... one day I really have to stay in my place for the weekend to see if I can do a Gunie's updates tornado to see if it works on mine .... jeez...
Anyway I wish all the best for the work duties ... I just hope you're not going to wear the snail antennas for too long ...

Have a spiffy week Gunie !

cheers ,

-Steph

daWinky
04-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Morning Gunie!

Hey, you're really strong in postwork, this makes a lot for the scene:thumbsup: ...I agree with Laurent about a little scaling of the mites for more depth...Can't wait to see the next update, but daily work first of course!
Have a good start in the week!:wavey: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

-sabrina

ThierryS
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
God Morgon Gunilla! hope you had a good Easter break!

Nice update and very great lighting!:thumbsup:
Just two remarks on it though, maybe the front right mite could be more visible, it feels a bit dark right now, I want to see more of it when I look at your picture. I also think you could shrink a bit the sticking hair close to the back character on the right, they look huge in comparison to the shape under the cover. That's my two cents critics for the week haha!
Have a good day and have fun, you seem almost over... or the invasion is only just starting!:scream:

makaron
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
oh, what a drama! :D Just great, perhaps it could become a movie instead for a book? A family drama a la Bergman? :D

yeah... let´s do that... :applause:

the first mite: ohhh... i´m so depressed and sad... *sigh*
the second mite: well. I´s more for me, I´m havn´t been happy since years. my life is just a drag...
the third mite: and my mother is such a bad evil woman, and my father is a drunk...
the first mite: I can top that, my father is the death... and my mother is insain...
and the second mite: well my father went out buy the paper, 15 years ago and left me and my 35 brothers and sisters, and havn´t returned yet...
the third mite: *sigh* my sister has been beating me since my first day on this leg...

and that mite be the intro to the movie :D a true a la Bergman style...

and for the image... I don´t have anything to add... those before me said it all... :)

Rebeccak
04-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Hihi Gunie, :)

News on the Beckie front that might interest you...headed to see the "Body Worlds" exhibition soon and so I will be surrounded by lots and lots of plasticized guts! W00t! :D Of course I will think of you! :)

Here's hoping to bring back at least a few gutty pictures...

~"Beckie"

Gunilla
04-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Steph - Snail on board again - great! :D
thanks for cheering on the dinos - they still feel like they need some revenge!
And I don't mind you wearing the tiara for the weeks, as long as I get it for the weekends... :thumbsup:

Sabrina - thank you, yes - I need to get all proportions right before starting the postwork for reel - I know much will be solve once I got all the parts safely in PS. Only concearn right now is how to bring them there... as soon as I render something bigger than these small tests MR gets out of memory... I've no idea how to solve this now.

Thierry - thanks! Two very good points - I also want to see more of my mites textures... I spent quite some time in making them so it seems like a wast hiding them... almost finished? Oh no, far from - see above answer to Sabie - it will be a long time making the renders work.
Thanks for the cheering !

Mona - ahaha, stop it - you're increasing the level of depression here! :D

Beckie - "Body Worlds"! Ahhh or Euwww - can't make up my mind on what to say about it - even I find the idea of inplasticied bodyparts a bit ... disturbing. Strange since I have no problems appreciating the old specimens like that. I don't know if the show is getting here - I saw it was in London recently. Tell me all the detail when you get back, OK?

Thanks for the great support while I'm trying to get the offline stuff sorted out - be back with updates soon... I hope.

thedirtypaw
04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
nice update... you still didnt modified the skin displacement texture so youd have the root of the hair raised :) gotcha didnt i ? good luck onwards

DaddyMack
04-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow! So long since I've dropped in over here and i gotta say my jaw dropped as soon as I saw your latest image Gunners... YOINKS Thats urgleh... Yet at the same time I somehow connect with the mites and feel like I'm on their level... Well done so far... halfway to go and you look almost done... I'm off a chasing again now...:buttrock:

medunecer
04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Snail mode? I lived a life in snail mode! You're doing a great job! Good luck with your stuff of the week!

DimitrisLiatsos
04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok ..ok..i know ..i need a spank big time...so long since i spammed this thread...eheh..

Lady ...u have done so much work......weee...last post makes me wanna take a bath..lol...really...All those things are on me eating right now...?...YIKES..:surprised

Happy Easter Lady...:beer:

Zapan
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
they still feel like they need some revenge!

Yeah they do ! :bounce: .... but you know I always believed in them ... It's all about trust and power ... I mean who can beat a dinomite ? so don't tell me about a whole family !

Happy Easter Lady...:beer:

Oh yeah ! Happy easter ! :scream: ... huh ? when was it ? :blush:

cheers ,

-Scar~Go :D

ps : Count on me to spam for two of us even if you can't !! :scream:

Gunilla
04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Don't you just hate it when you've typed a long, hopefully intersting reply in your thread and then loose it because the server is jammed? :banghead:
So, I give it another try:

Nicolas - haha, you so got me all right! I had forgot about that... I will have to make it as a part of the hairs I think. I don't have any displacement mapping left in the scene. See what I can do once I solved the skin flakes ( euwww)

Mackie - I'm so glad you find it urgleh, I've no idea what that means but I have a feeling it's exactly what I'm going for :D
Really good if you can see the world from a mites eyes - that's my ultimate goal, thank you!

Marco - ahh that's nice, thanks. I guess I don't have to feel so stressed about this, you're right :) And thanks for your well wishes!

Dimi - so... you need a spank, huh? ... and a bath?
This image already gives amazing results, haha - thank you - and Happy Eater to you too :bounce:

Scar-Go - ahh yes, I'm always counting on you ;) thank you, and the Dinos thanks you for loyal support.

I just love this place... wish it could be my dayjob :)

Have a nice night all!
... and now, copy message before pushing submit!

Womgoose
04-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Lee - good thinking! I've added some more mites - one dinomite quite close... hope that will improve things... it will be there in the next render. :)

I hope it works outs for you. Can't wait to see the next one (Well when I stop scratching from looking at the last one anyway)

oceanbluesky
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey Gunilla, very fun theme...like the way you are starting add color and specular highlights, good luck!

handlebar
04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
looking forward to the update Gunilla, a mite closer to the camera is just what the image needs. I love the lighting.

claudiojordao
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Hello Gunilla,
Uau! I'm so happy to see that you are doing a great great job.
I've been so busy that I... oh well... you know!
I'll try to come more often, good luck.

varma
04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Hei G; Good to see that you have managed to get the displacement right, finally!
it looks sharp and clear! And about lighting, it's very very good!
Keep up!
:)

Gunilla
04-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Morning all, sorry for the lack of updates here lately... hope to have something later today.

Lee- keep scratching! :D

Eric - thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Steven - thanks, right now it's a comp between two different renderings - I hope to be able to do it like that with the big image. glad you like the lighting :thumbsup:

Claudio - Hey! Good to see you here, and sorry to hear you so busy...I was looking forward to follow your challenge once again - maybe you will still make it? :)

varma - thank you! I skipped the displacementmapping completely and went with bump and derformations only, it works a lot better now :)

Another lovely weekend - have a great one all!

Gunilla
04-23-2006, 08:52 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145778755_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145778755_large.jpg)

While working on solving my memory problems for rendering I made this.
I'm having big problems making MR friendly with this one - so far I can only render a third of the final size before the meomory errors occurs... have spent the day with downsizing all the maps and hope to find a solution... if not, I mite have to go with Scanline for the final - not to happy about that.

Womgoose
04-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Now that wallpaper is really erm... it's erm.... EWW! lol :bounce:

Those are some really brilliant looking Mites though and I'm sure there are lots of Mite lovers who would love to have that as their desktop wallpaper.

Hmm did you try limiting/increasing the amount of memory MR can use and checking the conserve memory box? not sure if it will help though but I bet there are plenty of MR experts on these boards who will be able to fix that for you.

Gunilla
04-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks Lee - that was a great suggestion, I had found the bitmap pager option but not the conserve memory :argh:
I hope it will work now - your splendid suggestion will be rewarded with a roll of the Mite Wall Paper limited edition - to brighten up your bedroom :D

makaron
04-23-2006, 03:41 PM
I love that wallpaper... dom är såååå söta juh...
hope you solve your technical problems too...

so we mite see more mites... :bounce:

Womball
04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Hahaha, the last entry looks like a storybook entry! As for memory, procedural textures tend to be more memory extensive. You could probably get away with color maps. You could bake the procedurals to a color map. That way it should render faster. And since they are little guys you could probably use a 1024^2 resolution map for them.

gpepper
04-23-2006, 03:48 PM
GUV tiles ?
It seems that a lot of people find this solution interesting...

Gunilla
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Mona - glad you like... do you think I could sell it for production? :D

Womball - hehe, thanks - and maybe it will become a storybook one day, who knows? :)
Thanks for suggestions - resizing the maps is one of the things I'm trying right now:

Gilles - I find not having to deal with UnWrapping very interesting :) So far, it's the only advantage I can see, haven't discovered any drawbacks with it yet, so I'll stick with it :thumbsup:

Thanks all for suggestions - I'm trying to find out as many possible solutions for my render issues before proceeding. If I can't make MR work for me I will have to rework the scene to be rendered with Scanline instead. ...or just render it as it is and make some touching up in PS - I would really like to have the GI effects in it though.

Womgoose
04-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Oooh lovely limited edition Mite wallpaper just for me :buttrock:
(is this a good thing... hmm... the itching is starting again OH NO!)

Mental Ray likes to randomly crash for me when rendering hair and throws up memory allocation errors and such.
Oh and Max instantly crashes if I try to get it to load a 4096x4096 texture :)
I think you should be ok once you have trimmed/baked textures and told MR to behave and then the armys of mites will be free to crawl over our monitor screens forever muwahaha *cough* ;)

makaron
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Mona - glad you like... do you think I could sell it for production? :D

I´m sure that you mite be a milionar then... everyone here is crazy over the mites. I bet that rest of world mite wanna have mites on their walls too... :p

and I mite never spell mite as it should be spelled again :blush:

shakes
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
really interesting seeing how you do it Gunilla, I feel for you having to resize everything..eek. your textures are really beautiful!

Tremoside
04-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Hmm..Gunni, this gonna be amazing! Surely. Compo is cool! just as all the progress.

So now, i have to tell what things are eating my brain about your stuff. Let i start with apologize if i confusing you with the following words or i misunderstood something from your plans. The whole scene looks perfect for the challenge, you have depth fine characters and nice details in textures. The concept is also kool and not a simple let's do fairys orcs or whatsoever. The only thing i miss, the initial action. To seee on the image why do they act. Why they want to go, do, follow or react for. Probably an event or a leadermite is missing.
Just an idea for an example: A leadermite is hanging or just grabbing a piece of fur. and "shouting" or "show" or "suggest" to the other ones to do this or do that. The other variation is: they find something..a "track" on the skin...an their attention turns to that way. Or there is a smashed dead mite. And they "dig up the battle axe" to get revenge on the skin's owner. Or an other trick. The person is drunk (you can visualize it with an emty bottle or glass in the background) and mites getting drunk coz they sucked something alcohol from the skin, dunno is it really can happen but could be interesting. It's not a direct representation of the Journey, but somehow can add deeper aspect of your imagined scene.

for clozing words. i do not want to confusing you or say just critics for fun. i really think you can create a strong final. With all the chances to win. Just a micro thing to make it better.

Gunni, just hope i was clear and dont hesitate to send me to hell if i told foolish things :)
So let's rock! :wavey:

mdavid
04-24-2006, 03:34 AM
The textures certainly do look good. I sure hope you sort out of the memory problems

Zapan
04-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Weeee morning Gunie !!

I can see you've been pretty busy this week end too ... w00t !
I do love that wallpaper !! Somehow it seems it would be totally itchy to have this in your room .... way more interesting than some boring classical flowers :scream: ...

Bad too hear your renders probs ... I wish I could coming up here with a great suggestions .... but I really can't and probably I'm gonna face same probs soon ... not w00ting :banghead: ...
Anyway , Hope you're gonna find a good alternative to fix that ! :thumbsup:

Have a great week !

chears , :)

-Steph

Gunilla
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM
A late good morning all!

Lee - ah yes, it seems I'm not the only one with MR/Max troubles, I've great hopes of solving it though. And I'm glad you fancy the idea of a wallpaper :D

Mona - ahaha, I would never use a wallpaper like this - but I mite be strange :D thanks!

John - thank you, and yes It's a bit boring having to redo all. Glad you like my textures - this time I've kept them simple (so far)

Mark Tremo- Would never send you to hell, my friend - your opinions and advice have always been good. :)
And I'm glad you're putting words to this - since this have been bugging me for a while... you're so right in that there isn't enough clues as to why they are there! Got some ideas from your suggestions too - I think I'll try to make the front Flubbermite use his Flubbers...
And the drunk mites idea is hilarious - really good! :D
A big thanks for pointing this out!

Mark D - thank you ... and so do I :banghead:

Steph - So you'd prefer this to a flower wallpaper? Must be the company you've been keeping :D
I'm trying all tricks I can find and it seems like I find some setting that doesn't cause MR to crash... It has now rendered like 1,5% in four hours... I suppose I have to find another way.

Thank you all for your constant support, pushing and inspiration :)

Tremoside
04-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Tips to for MR problem..maybe helps.

- Probably you have to set windows paging file to a different harddrive. I use a winchy just for swap.
- I used to create a very simple scene with full the contents, upsample that to final resolution, after that i used to crop it in Photoshop to calculate how big/small texture sizes can i use for the final resolution. GUV is very effective. I usually downsample them more than typical UV-s coz they use space better.
- U can also remove some maps from shader, or use same map for different slot. With instace. And operate with output curve to caracterize that.
- If you do Depth of field, mist, beam etc in MR, time to forget those. Just render a simple Zdepth map for afterworks. Simply with basic default shader.
- GI/FG... downsample it. In my practice those default settings in max are definitely too high for a huge scene. I use to work with GI 250 (not 500) and FG 130 (not 250) but that's the maximum. For tests GI 150 FG 50. Also u can reduce trace depth.
- U can find the way to split ur scene into parts. Needs some work but it worth.

I just hope these tips can help. i know u tried many ways.
Best luck Gunni!!! :buttrock:

Gunilla
04-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Great! Some things in there that I haven't tried yet - thank you!
I'll try downsampling even more, still have it higher than your numbers. Will try the other drive paging to - if I can make Windows accept an external drive.

As soon as I've finished my daywork I'll be at it again - I got new hopes now, thank you!

scootermaya
04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
very interesting process ... I like the wall paper a lot :thumbsup: . You're my next beedroom designer :bounce:

scootermaya
04-24-2006, 12:40 PM
(Sacha 7) Yyyyeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhkkkk :scream: ! It's very well done but it's grosssss :thumbsup:
Super Gunilla !

Gunilla
04-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Scooter, Sacha - thanks, glad you both like it!
Maybe we should decorate the whole Cavro family home with it? :D
... perhaps a hairy-leg wallpaper should be better for the kitchen, what do you think?

OK - I think I may have solved the render issues :banghead:
It means I will have to split the full image and render it in 9 pieces... and since I had planned to make a comp from two different render settings that would mean 18 pieces :banghead::banghead:

Maybe I should pick up knitting instead, less messy :)

Anyways, this means I can now continiue with the actual image work for a while - yippiii!

Gunilla
04-24-2006, 07:06 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145901986_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145901986_large.jpg)

Finally an update!
Made the central Flubbermite bigger plus added the front of a bigger Dino - let me know whet you think.
The skinflakes will be worked upon in post as many other things.

soapy
04-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Looking good Gunilla! It is nice to hear that you sorted out your memory, rendering, computer speed issues. I am having similar problems with my rendo contest image as it gets more complex. I like the skin flakes idea... creepy. Hahah.

Womgoose
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
It is looking so nice now.
Do you have much more to do on it because it is starting to look finished :applause:

shakes
04-24-2006, 09:49 PM
eeek! they look so creepy..they're fantastic Gunilla..such superb characters. I like the way you've changed it slightly and made flubber a bit bigger, and love the dinomite entering.
the lighting on them looks great

makaron
04-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Dinner is served.. :bounce: skinflakes is todays special...

looks really great now... love the light and the bunch of mites... and the babies are sooo cute...

Gunilla
04-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Morning fellow challengers!

Jim - yeah, for now I think I found a solution, we'll see in the end :)
Sorry to hear about your similar probs - are you done with your scene for the contest? I'd love to see you back here crushing us with your toys.

Lee - thanks, almost finished? I'm still not satisfied with the overall layout so I'll be contemplating that a bit before doing the big renders... after that a couple oh passes in PS. Yup, I think I will make it in time if nothing happens :)

John - thank you, I'm so glad you like tham, that's a real compliment coming from you, oh master of freaky characters :love:The lighting is not quite where I want it still - I'm getting confused every time I try to use GI... can't quite understand what's happening, but it looks rather cool :)

Mona - thank you for your splendid support! I trust you to be the lover of all kinds of pets now :)

So, I will continue for a while to make a stronger action in the image as suggested by Mark... I'm beginning to become a bit bored with it for the moment so some change mite be a good thing. We'll see if I come up with anything good :)
Have a great day!

scootermaya
04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
great update now :thumbsup: ! Isn't the lower light too flashy?
the scene composition looks awesome, it really itchy now :D .
I am waiting to see how the flakes would look like in the final :bounce:

JurajMolcak
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello my sis´, I mean bro´sis... Very scary light you´ve got here. Looks pretty "neon street like" ha ha ha. However, upper part of your composition looks very empty now, from my point of view. But, I am sure you will work on it, don´t you? Again, love very this is going :bounce:

mdavid
04-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Cool! Another mite update. The skin flakes are an excellent addition. Looks like the little guys won't go hungry during their journey

Zapan
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Weeeee !

The new lighting totally rocks Gunie , creepy as well ! Great to see my favorites buddies right on the front ... feel like to be one of the gang :D ...

I had a thought in term of composition ... to move down the camera closer to the skin and poiting it upper ... Now the first plan takes approx 1/3 of the image for 2/3 of the background and maybe it will be better to give the foreground 2/3 of the space ... ... Wait , I don't realise how difficult this modification could be and surely I suppose that's not really cool to tell you this in this stage ... but that's really a thought poping in my mind right now... if somehow you could to the test , could be nice to see the difference , if not just forget about it don't want to annoy you with this ... the comp is already really cool !

Keep w00ting crown owner ! :applause:

cheers ,

-Steph

Gunilla
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Scooter - erhmm.. yeah, maybe it's all a bit to flashy right now... but I still want them to glow of exitement :)

Juraj-bro :) hmmm... maybe you're right. I think it needs some silent spaces but perhaps a little adjustment... stay tuned for the soon to come test :thumbsup:

Mark - thanks, and actually the scene is a bit confusing now, since the harvesting of skin was supposed to be the target. Maybe I just adjust the story to fit better :)

Steph - well, pointing it upwards doesn't work well - however lowering the target mite do it (perhaps that's the same thing :)) I think you're right - let me know what you think of the upcoming test!
... and the crown was the crown of snails... or? I say you can keep it :wise:

Gunilla
04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145981989_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1145981989_large.jpg)

Top image is the old camera, bottom is the new adjusted angle.
What say ye?

Zapan
04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
:bounce:

I personaly think the adjusted one works better , you could do even more me think ... I mean the top image is aimed to situate the spectator in the scene , and definitely we can't go wrong ...

Anyway you're doing so great with this picture ... :bowdown: :thumbsup:
I will keep the snail crown forever no worries :)

cheers ,

-Steph

Gunilla
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I think you're right... again :)
I want to have a tad bit more of the nightsky and a tad bit less of the closest foreground so raising the target just a tad bit would probably be fine :D

And nooo... you can't wear the snail crown any more, there isn't enough time for that!
... and I think this week it's Lolos turn to have it - that would be the first :D

Tremoside
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Heeeyya, that angle is better! Small tweak, but works well. I scaled down your image to see just patchez. Hwmwm..so it's confusing me right now. Not a big thing, just some photographic skills. What i mean. Lights. i dunno how you want to make your lightrig for final, but right now i see just highlights. It's a bit messy now. Just scale down your image or look at that with almost closed eyes (wink) you will see i think. Perhaps some traditionally lighted areas, like foreground nor background light can pick up the foreground from darkness. I see your curtains are brighter, but that lamp behind could be fine if that's on. It worth a test in photoshop. As i see that bright stripe on the upper part of the body. that could work also for the miteparty area. With less higlights it could be cleaner and stronger in storytelling. I had a conversation with one of unversity's fotoguy about this. Just make sure before i post :) Now send me to HEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL :D Go girl go! :buttrock:

antone-m
04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I missed updates oh I`am going to kill my self or something :D but did u miss me :p ??guess not:argh:
I think the new camera is better

Womgoose
04-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Getting better all the time.
Now we are getting up close and personal with the... mites *shiver*.
The scene is easier on the eye and we can see the detail work on the mites really well.
All is good in the land of the itchy people.

shakes
04-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I like the new angle too, Gunilla- they just look a bit more prominent- love the little snouty cutie on the left! do you need something in the big space at the bottom of the pic, or do I just have a crowd fetish?

Rebeccak
04-25-2006, 10:48 PM
They are multiplying! :eek: :eek: :eek: *scratches head fervently* :D

Great stuff Gunie! Maybe a little bright? Maybe there should be skin cells everywhere? :D

~Beckie

medunecer
04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Wallpaper idea is amazing! Any radiosity in your scene? As you maybe know, I'm having some problems with radiosity...how about you?

DimitrisLiatsos
04-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I am gonna make u experiment more..heheheh :p...i like the old angle but with better sky/moon...am i too bad boy? :beer:.

Looks great ..and it makes my skin ...itchy...eheheh.

oooomzaaaa! :bounce:

Gunilla
04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh dear, I'm so happy for all the feedback, sorry I wasn't here to answer sooner.

Mark - Oh yes, you're absolutely right again! :)
I did some tests with different lights last night ... they all look terrible - I will continue for a whil but perhaps I just try to fix it in PS later. Sometimes I find it much easier to tweak and rerender parts in post, as if I can't see it properly until then. Having the beam striking their path would be great - haven't made it work yet, my lighting skills are very limited. Thanks for your always good help!

Tony - thanks and of course I missed you! Haven't heard anyone saying "Keep Going" for days :D

Lee - Good, I'm glad you feel comfy hanging out with the mites :thumbsup: Should I send some over to CrazyPig?

John - thank you! Well, I have sort of a space fetish so that should make us even :D
<Serious mode> I will cut of a piece of the lower part but it will probably be an empty area there - I think it's needed for the balance but as I said - I'm very fond of empty areas in my comps... makes it easier to breathe perhaps?

Beckie - hi sis! To bright now? Arggh! I think so too, it definitely needs adjusting, thanks! :)

Marco - thanks for liking the wallpaper - no, no Radiosity in here , I just use GI and FG for this... never been able to figure radiosity out ... not GI either as might be visible. Oh, how I wish for that "make pretty lighting" button :)

Dimi - Ahhh, thank you for confusing me, now I'm back in the mystery haze again :D
Will continue to tweak, promise :)
Ouuumzzaaa is the path!

antone-m
04-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Tony - thanks and of course I missed you! Haven't heard anyone saying "Keep Going" for days :D

hahahaha Mr.keep going is back My lady:bowdown:

Womgoose
04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Lee - Good, I'm glad you feel comfy hanging out with the mites :thumbsup: Should I send some over to CrazyPig?

lol yeah, I think he would enjoy that ;)

rattlesnake
04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
man your entry is looking very cool...but im really thinking twice about going to sleep tonite with similar little guys waiting to dinner me :eek:...man this is great! high visual impact

alvin-cgi
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi, good work... I like those bugs!!:)

The Journey Begins (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322760&highlight=alvin)
Spectacular 3D (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275950&highlight=alvin)

gpepper
04-27-2006, 09:46 AM
man your entry is looking very cool...

Gunilla is "She"...

shakes
04-27-2006, 09:48 AM
John - thank you! Well, I have sort of a space fetish so that should make us even :D

haha..good, so it was just me! I think do what you like best, eh?! looks brilliant, Gunilla

Gunilla
04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146129055_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146129055_large.jpg)

Final image will probobly be a mix of these two render settings. I will now try to make them big so I can proceed in Photoshop.

Gunilla
04-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Tony - great! You're such excellent support :)

Jorge - thank you and you're doing a very impressive entry :thumbsup:

alvin - thanks :)

Gilles - are you sure? :D

John - nono, it's probably just me! And I think you mite be right here - a little something in the lower left area will perhaps be needed. :)

So, this is my two current light/render settings. I think the best for me now is to try and do some manual light work in PS - since I want several different types of lighting to make the micro/real impression work this will take a lot of tweaking. I'll be back with updates when the renders are made.
Also got a unexpected workassignment today which probably will take most of the weekend, I will have time to spam though, if that's any comfort :D

makaron
04-27-2006, 11:39 AM
hejsan hoppsan Gunilla... nu ska vi se här vad man ska skriva...

jo, I like the light on the mites on the upper one and the light on the hair and skin on the one below...
so a mix as you wrote would nail this piece I think...

eller hur? :P

antone-m
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
cool updates can`t wait to see the final
keep going :scream:

Womgoose
04-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Good luck with the final leg of the journey Gunilla :)

Gunilla
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Mona - that's the plan all right, mixing and tweaking the remaining time :)

Tony - thanks, and you keep going too :D

Lee - thanks buddy!

News from the render process: I've been fighting the MR crashes hard the last few days and almost thought I was going to fail... then I remembered Backburner! By automatic rendering I suddenly reduced the memory needs with about 30%, enough to coplete it. And also to have Backburner render the slices and the put them together - woops, all remaining pieces have now been rendered and I only have to start compiling now. Goodie!

Have a great weekend all, see you in your threads :thumbsup:

Zapan
04-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Morning Gunie !! time for me to catch up my spam delivery !!

I have no idea of what Backburner is but apparently is doing great things for you so I believe he's a great guy :) ... Great news that all the gang is rendered now ... can't wait for your rockin' post effect work ... w00t !

Have a great weekend !

cheers ,

-Steph

shakes
04-29-2006, 11:32 PM
good luck with your photoshopping Gunilla,it'll be great!

dunderdan
04-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Hej Gunilla. Lovely scene you've got there, waiting for the final touches.

Gunilla
04-30-2006, 08:54 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146383659_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146383659_large.jpg)

Finally got all the pieces and layers together... this is the first test for mixing, almost full size for Flubby

Gunilla
04-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Morning... sorry for the delay in updateing here - I was cheering a bit to soon and have now spent the last days with rerendering stuff. Think I got it all in place now... puuuh!

Steph - thanks for the morning spam... and as you can see Backburner finally made me complete it - it seems I have some sort of bug in the scene (no joke intended) that have caused all these crashes since the early start. The hair module for the first steps have been impossible to get rid of... ahh, well now the rendering is over and done with :)

John - thanks, I'll need it. I opened the filed this morning, finally with all pieces in... and not a clue of what to do with it! I'll get there I hope...

Dan - Hej and thanks, really nice teddybear in your gallery - are you in the challenge?

So, a first test just to break the ice... will be continued. I'm quite happy with how the skin came out in full size :)

mdavid
04-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Wow, it looks fantastic at that scale. Really beautiful stuff - makes me forget we're talking about mites. The only thing I'd be wondering about is how faint the shadow is under its body. Maybe it could go a bit darker. I'm enjoying this thread a lot. Those little guys have a lot of character.

I just had a really good look at the hair too. Excellent realistic hair surface there

Gunilla
04-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Mark - thanks! and yes, I think it hold the upscaling quite well, at least at most parts.
The shadows, you're right. For this type of mixing they would be deeper for sure - it's been a bit tricky since the GI rendering shows them lit from the bottom and the other from the side. That's one of the things I have to sort out now, thanks for pointing it out :thumbsup:

speter
04-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Heyho Gunilla! :cool:

I watched your full Challenge Page... Nice idea, cool stuff! thing's 're working well!:bowdown:
The finale is closing. Just keep up the good work! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward your final image!
Good luck! :wavey:

varma
04-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Gunilla; The lighting is really good now, especially the blue cold light in the
background! Your texturing work is really showing now with the big render,
cool detail work and I just love the clarity and sharpness of the ground detail!
Looking forward to the final render!
Good luck!

antone-m
04-30-2006, 05:55 PM
cool the jelly bug looks very cool I think that u adjusted it very well cool work Gunie keep going

fgdf
04-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi there! I think you should fix that shadow under main bug ;) specular on the legs in right lower segment doesn't look perfect too I hope it 'll help cheers!!

Gunilla
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Peter - hey, good to see you here! Thanks for the cheering :)

Mathias - thank you! The contrast in lights was the plan from the start, I'm glad it's coming through :) Much of the detail will not be seen in the final - but it's good knowing it's there.

Tony - thank you, and I will keep going this way :D

Bartosz - will decide for the final direction of light soon - thanks for pointing it out :thumbsup:

So, I've been lazy this weekend - but I think there is plenty of time left for me to finish... and some sun and gardening isn't a bad way to spend the weekend :)

Zapan
05-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Hej Gunie !

I missed that last update ... jeez I don't get the cheering crown lately ... :banghead:

Looking real cool to see Flubby buddy at this size , and it's great to appreciate all the details you put on the skin ... plenty of thumbsup for you :thumbsup: !!

Oh and lazy days are good too , I know everything about those ... But I'm totally impressed by how you're able to manage your time in each challenge ... Me , I have to rush like a crazy at the end ... and probably this what will happen in this one too ...

Anyway I got you some cheering thoughts anyway :) !

cheers ,

-Steph

scootermaya
05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Hej Gunie !

I missed that last update ... jeez I don't get the cheering crown lately ... :banghead:

Looking real cool to see Flubby buddy at this size , and it's great to appreciate all the details you put on the skin ... plenty of thumbsup for you :thumbsup: !!

Oh and lazy days are good too , I know everything about those ... But I'm totally impressed by how you're able to manage your time in each challenge ... Me , I have to rush like a crazy at the end ... and probably this what will happen in this one too ...

Anyway I got you some cheering thoughts anyway :) !

cheers ,

-Steph

Definitly right ! :wise:

I need to wake up too :bounce:

Gunilla
05-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Steph, Scooty - Yes, shame on you, missing one of my updates! :twisted:
Just kidding of course, you both are the best support one could wish for.

Steph - and about me managing the time, well... two things, I'm a time pessimist - always thinking things will take longer than they do (very good when negotiating with clients for a fixed price :D)
Also, if you look at my projects, they are not very complex compared to most others (is Lemog a good example?... probably not, he's one of the kind :)) I usually finish modeling during the first couple of weeks and then spend the time tweaking tunes.
Next challenge I will do something so huge that I wont finish in time, promise :D
thanks for the nice cheering :)

soapy
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Looking good Gunilla. I tend to agree with the others about the shadows, but maybe it is not such a big deal when viewing the whole image together? It is coming together very nicely!

daWinky
05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Morning Gunie!

I'm impressed to see your progress:eek: ...I was away for just a week and you seems to be already on the finish line with your mites! The full sized Flubby is just amazing:thumbsup: ...Great that you've found an alternative to render all this stuff.
I agree with Stéph about you're good time management, now you've enough time for a lot of tweaking and I know what you can do with PS! So I'm curious to watch your next steps...
Have a nice day!:wavey: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

-sabrina

makaron
05-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Flubby is a handsome mite I have to say :bounce:
and when you write your childrensbook, sell the design of the mites to a candyfactory, they can make "gelelöss" jellymites of them... who can resist a jellymite? and then the toyfactory so they can make toymites... a cuddlemite, hey, do the whole family in toys and a movie must be done too... :p

Lemog
05-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Morning Gunie...

I must agree with Sabie about your work dear... you really seem to be in the finish line... it's good to see... now just remain you to manage your good compositing and that will be one of the most interesting and original piece here... it's a great pleasure for me... good continuation with the final steps :thumbsup: :)

jddog
05-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I tend to be critic on shadows too... but everything looks really good out !
jdd

Gunilla
05-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Morning all, and thanks for your comments :)

Jim - shadows definitely have to be figured out for the final, it's a bit tricky now to make any sense of them...thanks for liking :)

Sabrina - hey there, been on vacation? I'm glad you like the way this is going and hopefully I will have it finished some time soon... I'm a bit bored with it for the moment, but there is still much time left :)

Mona - haha, toymites! Great idea, but perhaps we should ask Soapy for the designs? Noone does toys like him for sure :)

Lolo - good to see you back! :love: And yes, now remains only the final steps... but there are many steps :D

Julien - thanks, and will work on the shadows for sure. Nice Frog King you have at renderosity :thumbsup:

So, stuck with other stuff today, but hope to have an update later this week, see you around :)

kreuz
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
o,o;;;;
aswsome image so far , keep it ,can't wait to see the final:thumbsup:

kreuz
05-02-2006, 11:08 AM
o,o;;;;
awesome image so far , keep it ,can't wait to see the final:thumbsup:

MT-Cup
05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Good morning, gunilla! Well my scratching has subsided just a bit. ;) I really like how this is coming together. Amazing work. :thumbsup:

shakes
05-02-2006, 10:21 PM
wow, they just look fantastic up close! such great characters, gunilla!

oceanbluesky
05-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey Gunilla! This is 100% the strangest image I have ever even concieved of anyone creating -- it is definitely wonderful just because of that. At the end of the challenge when time is less pressing I look forward to reading through the last 45 pages of entries but I'm glad your "hairy legs" and penchant for micro-level drama inspired you...(read the first five pages).

Look forward to seeing more....even like their names! Cute blood sucking critters! Congratulations on being so utterly out-of-the-box imaginative!

(100% strange = 110% terrific)

Gunilla
05-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Good morning friends - my favourite part of the day... starting it here with all your comment and splendid work.

kreuz - thanks for liking, I'll do my best!

MT Cup - morning!thanks for coming by for a morning scracth :D

John - thank you! I'm also a bit surprised about how well they're holing up in the bigger rendering... sometimes poly overkill is rewarding I guess :)

Eric - haha, thank you! I suppose for me, it's quite a natural topic... I've been spending the last years with medical illustration so anything in that direction would be the first to come to mind. You should see some of the stuff I've been doing lately ... now, that's weird stuff, can't post it - I would be banned :D

Sorry for snailing around so much, thank for your cheering :)

Rebeccak
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Bonjour Gunie! :D

Beautiful closeup on the mite...I wonder when these mites will acquire clothes? Perhaps something for the hot summer days, floral shirts, and khaki shorts with birkenstock sandals? :D

Looking forward to seeing more progress here!!

~Beckie

flaeticia
05-03-2006, 07:43 AM
hi Gunie !
very happy to see ure work : you dont derogate from the rule : you always do an excellent work ! Thanks for your words on my thread ! and keeep up this way :thumbsup:
(and im not look like my girl on my thread :wise:) :bounce: :thumbsup::scream:

rattlesnake
05-04-2006, 04:59 AM
hello...well the close up just confirm that this is full of little details that make this image look really good...great work man, your texturing and modeling job is not far from perfect...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

antone-m
05-04-2006, 06:25 AM
hey Gunie wiating for the final :scream:
u will win for sure and u will take ..................................an insecticide lol :bounce:

Gunilla
05-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Bonne matin, tous le monde :)

Beckie - clothes for the mites? Woooaa, that would be a sight - wouldn't want to be the tailor for that :D
thanks for cheering!

laeticia - thanks for the nice words, and I promis... I will never mantion again who your model look like :D

Jorge - thank you for the encouragement, I hope to finish this in a good way :)

Tony - haha, yeah... maybe I will win a can of bug poison? :D

I'm sorry for the lack of progress here - truth is I'm so bored with this one now, your kind comments pushes me to finish it though, so I will. thank you :)

Climax
05-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Hurry up my friend, well, i droped by just to give you some stress....boooo! :D:thumbsup:

daWinky
05-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Morning Gunie!

Just here for a little cheering and motivation:) ! - hey there, been on vacation? ... I'm a bit bored with it for the moment, but there is still much time left

Bored with the scene??... of course, this is a common thing after 2 month of working on it, but you're not far from finishing, so keep on! :wise:

And yessss, vacation... a little trip to the North Sea last week and still holidays for the rest of the week...sitting in the garden with a morning coffee and a laptop, pushing people to work:D , just great!

-sabrina

flaeticia
05-04-2006, 07:39 AM
laeticia - thanks for the nice words, and I promis... I will never mantion again who your model look like :D

ahaha excellent ;) :D

I subjects u a very interesting request : u can called gilles pfeiffer (gpepper) -> georgio : he loves this nu pseudonym :D

:bounce::bounce:

antone-m
05-04-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm sorry for the lack of progress here - truth is I'm so bored with this one now, your kind comments pushes me to finish it though, so I will. thank you :)

wohoo :buttrock: yeah Gunie is going to finish it :applause: cooooooool keep going Gunie waiting for updates :deal:
"NB don`t worry I will buy u a bug poison after the challenge :hmm: "

Lemog
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Morning Gunie... keep happy... I've just find the tailor for your mites... enjoy :scream:

http://lemog.free.fr/lemog_v5/albums/lemog/characters_3d/normal_03_buggix.jpg

Tremoside
05-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Flubby mixin' is cool! Go Gunie go! :buttrock: Laurent's mite taylor... :) aaa..What will come next? Rubbercloth taylor? Mighty Mite Mike? The Supermite! You creatin some cult figures here. Am sure. Just don't forget to tell when signatured posters will be out to order! :beer:
It's almost finished..keep it up!

Zapan
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Bonjour !!

I'm sorry for the lack of progress here - truth is I'm so bored with this one now, your kind comments pushes me to finish it though, so I will.

Of course you will !! http://images.leportailweb.com/clips/smiley/ipb/cheer.gif<-- please tell me I don't have to give you the live show of this :D

I've just find the tailor for your mites... enjoy

ROFLMKAO !! :scream: :scream: :scream:

how did I miss this ?
See laurent ? , that's for stuff like this , that you will be THE nut forever !! :scream: :scream:

Gunilla
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Ahhh... you dear people :love:After returing home from a horrible workday (arrggghh) reading all your funny posts really warms my heart - thank you :)

Omar - thanks, some more stress is definitely needed here :)

Sabrina - haha, sounds like you figured out the perfect way to spoend the time... envious, me? naaahhh... :D I will proceed, promise!

Laeticia - oh, great!Now I know the best way to tease Gilles, thank you :twisted:

Tony - looking forward to the bug poison then (of all the strangest things to get, this must be the strangest gift ever :D)

Lolo - bouahahaha! That is fantastic! What project did you do that one for?

Mark - Ahhh, thank you! And I promise to notify you when the first set of huggable toys are released :D

Steph - hmmm... could you please give me the live show of that? :scream:

thanks ... and now back to more daytime work.

Tremoside
05-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Bra jobbat :thumbsup:

Whooooaaa, swedish words! :wavey:

BlackDidThis
05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
It took me 5 hours to be able to completely read through your thread :eek: (Hey I was working as well.. not just reading!)

Well no complaints actually.. It was serious fun to read through. Hmm wait...
save from getting to know Laurent (http://<b>http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=60815) much closer than I would have wished to with his "Refference (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3298697&postcount=100)" :surprised
(Which reminds me to spend tomorrow evening perhaps to go through his thread :)
I love the result.. I would like to see how he got there! )

It seems you are having a lot of fun in the making of this composition... and I have to admit that it was great fun as a viewer to follow up on it.
There is little to interfere to what you have done up until now... Not only since there is very little time in hand... but also since you have quite well introduced your own humorous little creatures in a unique way.
I doubt anything should change on that area.

But I would though have a little critic that I haven't come across anyone mentioning:
The hairs you have erected from the surface are much more spread than the Epidermal surface would suggest.
In actual you have to understand that there is a hair follicle in every junction of the cells. So it may be a bit more convincing if the "cells" on the texture of the surface they are walking on were some bit bigger to match the follicle spread ratio.

Just like yourself I too am sort of busy with "close ups"... And sort of know the pain of it that comes in addition to it's unique fun :cry:
I hope you all the best of luck.. and lots of fun with your furry little "Mite"'s :)
It is all going very well!

Black

Oh... Almost forgot... I had given a link to a site in another thread for referencing flees... Let me post it here too.
=>Link (http://www.ulb.ac.be/sciences/biodic/index.html)
It is a site dedicated to ultraStructure imagery. In case you would like to take a look at a variety of serious close ups.
They have the most I have seen on the net.

antone-m
05-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Tony - looking forward to the bug poison then (of all the strangest things to get, this must be the strangest gift ever :D)

hahahaha yeah lol

Lemog
05-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Lolo - bouahahaha! That is fantastic! What project did you do that one for?
Morning Gunie... His name is "Buggix the Magic"... in fact not a real tailor..., just an old magician bug... :scream: This picture was done for a contest in 2001... subject : Insects...

BlackDidThis -> Very good references you have my friend :thumbsup:
I read your comment about Gunie's work, and of course, I'm a bit okay with you... just a bit, because, I said myself some similar remark, but here, I think Gunie don't want to show something real, but more as her reality is, we are in her world, with her sensitivity and her vision... it's especially why I really appreciate her work usually, something different... but of course, all advices are good to take and I understant your point of view at 100%... and I will keep Gunie to answer you herself... have a nice day :beer:

Gunilla
05-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Morning all :)

Mark - hey, you've already got some swedish lessons from your new neighbour, bra jobbat! :thumbsup:

Black - wow, I can't imagine you've actually been reading this whole thread... thanks for your patience.
I'm glad you enjoy my hourney and as for your comments about the cellsize, you're absolutely right ... and I did try it with bigger cells but decided not to go with it. I couldn't make the displacement mapping work for this scene for several reasons, so I only have bump mapping and geometry to play with. Since the viewing angle is so much from the side for the big area, bumpmapping a bigger size of cells ended up looking very flat, does that makes sense?
Also, I realised early in the project that making something realistic here was out of my league... the size differences are such that any realistic approach had to be abandoned. So, what I'm trying to do is basicly mix two different scales and two different "eyes". One, for the background a more realistic, human eye - and for the foreground a more stylish "mite eye". I'm not sure I can make it absolutely convincing and readable but at least it's worth a try.
Again, thanks for your time and your always insightful comments :)
And yes - that shot of Laurents toes is a classic - I'm surprised it haven been more spread here ... yet :D

Tony - ;)

Laurent - morning dear, "Buggix the Magic" - well, he's a splendid character and his outfit is really cool, could you imagine holding the needle for making that one? :D
Thanks for your sweet words too ... always backing me up when I don't want to follow good advice :love: But I always listen to advice, and some I follow and some I don't... and that what's making these challenges so interesting for me - the end result is always a surprise.

Hope to finally get some time today to continue today - my old boss is now my new client and worse than ever :banghead:
But it's finally friday ...

oceanbluesky
05-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Eric - haha, thank you! I suppose for me, it's quite a natural topic... I've been spending the last years with medical illustration so anything in that direction would be the first to come to mind.

Not necessarily medical but thought this tutorial might interest you when I stumbled across it a few moments ago:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/dynamics_fx/138.html

Maybe some future projects? Too bad your old boss/new client is another challenge. (Hope he doesn't read this thread?)

BlackDidThis
05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Hello Gunilla (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=78228):

Hey having to answer you everywhere sort of adds the feeling of chatting with a messenger service or something! :)

Yes it makes sense... The bump mapping I mean.
I am sure you already knew this: the bump map is a displacement value that is connected to the shader/materials node... So it's information is given to the camera only. And a Displacement map is information given directly to the objects shape node...
That's simply why you can add a spiked texture as a bump to a ball and still manage to see a perfectly circle around the ball when you would expect to see spikes.

Even though I can't understand the difficulties you are having with the displacement map (Did I skip over it while reading?! :cry: ) But I DO understand your intensions as to make the whole of the image in its way "It's own".
I wasn't sure you had wanted to make the skin such to your own... Or if you had not thought of introducing the follicles such. Hence the comment.

None the less... as I said earlier...
It is obvious that you had a lot of fun in the making... and when it is such... it is always fun to follow up!
Good luck!

Laurent (http://<b>http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=60815);
Noted down:
"Do NOT mess with his friends!" :eek:

Succes!!!

Black

Gunilla
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Eric - great link! I'm not sure if it's easily tranfered to Max but I will read it for sure, thanks!

Black - chat continues :)
As for the displacement ... I had some serious render problems with itearly and that, combined with the difficultiy to not "see" the surface until rendering made it hard to place things appropiately. That's why I gave it up for this project. Your comments are really good either way, since it reminds me of something that's been nagging me but I been to lazy to fix - the small part of the roots for the hairs... Argggh!

Thank's again buddy and don't worry about Laurent - he doesn't bite :D

Gunilla
05-05-2006, 09:11 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146816703_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146816703_large.jpg)

This is the method I've chosen to go for with the final comp, not my ususal way but I think it will work.

gpepper
05-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I subjects u a very interesting request : u can called gilles pfeiffer (gpepper) -> georgio : he loves this nu pseudonym :D

Ok I know now who told this...

Laeticia - oh, great!Now I know the best way to tease Gilles, thank you :twisted:

Tease me, please me !

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146816703_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146816703_large.jpg)

This is the method I've chosen to go for with the final comp, not my ususal way but I think it will work.

Looks really cool like that Gunnie ! I think compose with both is the key, if you understand what I mean...

antone-m
05-05-2006, 10:34 AM
cool updates Gunie it looks very cool keep up the good work :scream:

Lemog
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm totally with you with this kind of compositing, sure a good way to keep the better of both... :thumbsup:

mmoir
05-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Gunilla,

Long time since I have been here and your image is alot clearer to me now, the sense of journey is definitely there. This really is an interesting concept and you are doing an excellent job on it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep going strong to the finish line.

Zapan
05-05-2006, 04:05 PM
See ? that's exactly what I meant by "rockin' posteffects work"
Keep w00ting Gunie , the finishing line 's getting close !

cheers ,

-Zapan

Gunilla
05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Gilles - thanks, that's the plan! I'll do what you suggest...Georgio ;)

Tony - thank you! And for the next challenge you're in, I promise to cheer you on as good as you have ... much appreciated :)

Lolo - thanks, I'm glad you approve of the plan :)

Mike - thanks, good to hear the journey part comes through :thumbsup:

Steph - ahh, thanks for the sweet words...still not quite sure what w00t is... is it the same as OUUMMZZAA? :shrug:
:D

So, finally friday evening - yahooo! Time to dust off some mites
(did anyone say I should get a life? ):)

MT-Cup
05-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm really getting excited about your progress. This is going to be a fantastic piece. (of course, I've started scratching again...). ;) :thumbsup:

Gunilla
05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146852143_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146852143_large.jpg)

Testing some stuff, added details for the skinflakes, some red light areas... what do you think? Too busy?

oceanbluesky
05-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Gunilla, definitely not too busy, really like it...especially the character peering in from the right corner and the very nicely shaded creature on the middle left side (wonderful iridescent coloring on her). Maybe the light streak on the leg in the center of your image could have a super thin tight specular highlight? Hard to criticize this image, truly enjoy it. Find most facinating the in-your-face theme: cute but wild. Very outside the Boxx.

BlackDidThis
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Nope definately not.. I'd say it looks very good.

Such a subject DOES sort of insist on some sort of clutter when you think of it.

Black

antone-m
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
looking good keep going

Tony - thank you! And for the next challenge you're in, I promise to cheer you on as good as you have ... much appreciated :)

oh thanks alot :applause:

shakes
05-05-2006, 09:43 PM
you're clever! what a great idea, and it's a nice compositing trick..the result is fabulous gunilla..best of both worlds!

MT-Cup
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow, it's really come to life! No crit from me. :thumbsup:

BAMU
05-06-2006, 02:05 PM
hi gunilla, this nice work of yours sure look different then any other work from this challenge, and this it's a really good thing :), keep it up and don't worry about "busy" thing, it's very good this way, your theme supose to be "busy". good luck further

scootermaya
05-06-2006, 08:47 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146852143_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146852143_large.jpg)

Testing some stuff, added details for the skinflakes, some red light areas... what do you think? Too busy?

Reeeeaaaaaly nice ! his compo looks close to what I was expecting from you :applause:

soapy
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Wow that comped together really well. I especially like the way the surface of the purple irredescent bug to the left came out.

rattlesnake
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
wow new details looks even better! amazing textures man...:buttrock:

Gunilla
05-07-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm glad my solutions seem to work well - thanks :)

Eric - thanks, and yes - maybe a small highlight will work fine - I'll try it for sure :thumbsup:

Black - haha, yeah! In this case some clutter just mite do it :D Thanks!

Tony - and thank you! :)

shakes - In school I was always told that silly thing about "kill your darlings"... I guess this is just the opposite. Keep the sweetest part and loos the rest - maybe it will work, thank you for great support through this :)

MT Cup - thanks, I will tune up the itch factor as high as I can :)

-BAM- thank you for the nice words, I really like what you got going too :thumbsup:

Michel - thanks for liking and yes, it feels like my journey is about to end!

Jim - well, I'm pretty happy with it so far too. Beginning to get where I want to now :)

Jorge - thank you! :bounce:

So, for this one I added an adjustment layer hue/saturation and tinted the whole image in an orange/red shade. I then applied a mask to that layer and painted out some red areas on the leg, especially for the veins and some on the dark/blueish part. I think this small change connected the different parts better. I still have some ideas to play around wth - feels strange to have this much time left. Strange, but good :)

mdavid
05-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Whoah! I missed a bunch of updates. You've been busy and I really like what you've done. It's looking fantastic. Bravo!

handlebar
05-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Great updates Gunilla and the comp looks good, brilliant texture work.

ihamid
05-07-2006, 01:07 PM
hiya Gunilla .. been ages hehehe. but nice to see your entry. and its looking great!
cheers!

BlackDidThis
05-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Hello Gunilla (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=78228);

I am not sure if you would have any use for it in this project in hand...
But I found a series for images on the net where I was reading about Syndactyly (Yes.. it’s a word :eek: )
Just posting them here incase you would have any use for them.

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_1.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_2.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_3.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_4.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_5.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_6.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_7.jpg

http://www.humpath.com/IMG/jpg/uncombable_hair_02_8.jpg

I got these from a medical site (As obvious as that may not be)…
In case you would be interested;
you can always check the rest of the stuff it has HERE (http://www.humpath.com/article.php3?id_article=4704)

Sooo how’s the modelling going so far?!

If you need clutter references:
I could always send a picture of my office to speed things up.

Best of luck!
(I am going to go back to my refference hunting...
Today was spent all with the illustration and now I have used up all my deata! :surprised )

Black

Climax
05-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Each time better, you are at one step of the final :bounce:, Go man!

daWinky
05-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Morning Gunie!

You always do magic things with your post-work and this scene is no exception!
The composition looks more like a unit now and you've pointed out the interesting details:thumbsup: ...not to busy at all and I like the colors...so for me there's nothing to crit!

I still have some ideas to play around wth - feels strange to have this much time left. Strange, but good
Ok, I'm really curious to see you playing around, time enough for some experiments:bounce: !
But I think you can be very relaxed now, the result so far is already excellent!

Have a nice start in the week!:wavey: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

-sabrina

Gunilla
05-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Mark - thank you, glad you like the way it's heading :)

Steven - thanks! Good to see you back here :)

Hamid - Hi there, where have you been? Are you back to finish? thanks for cheering :thumbsup:

Black - Wow! "uncombable hair syndrome"... I had no idea there was a name for such a thing :D
Great pics though, thanks! As for modeling... I'm not sure if I will do any more, I think it will be mostly post things now. My office is a great source for clutter too (probably mites too when thinking of it :eek:) thanks again for the pics, they will be useful sooner or later I'm sure!

Omar - thank you so much :bounce:

Sabrina - thanks, and yes, I'm beginning to feel like it's almost finished now... as always there are a zillion things I wished I would have done differently but at this stage it's better just finishing and letting go :)
My plan for the week involves at least a couple of garden and ice cream passes :D

Tied up with work today - have a great day all!

Zapan
05-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Awigthy then !!

Comp too busy ? I don't think so , but YOU are with this , no need of pink skirts !
Looking real cool , no crits or suggestions from , just enjoying !!

Keep w00ting , almost there !

cheers ,

-Steph

varma
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Wow you are almost finished with your scene, and I must say you definitely know your
way around layer comp in Ps! The lighting is more balanced now and the mood is just
right!
Good luck!

Rebeccak
05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Hiya Gunie Gut,

It's great to see your progress! :)

I think it looks great, the only crit is that the light in the foreground seems just a bit too bright, could just be me though. :)

The Challenge is almost over, will be rooting for you as you near the finish line!

~BB

Gunilla
05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Steph - thank you, glad you like it... always appreciate your sweet cheering :)

Mathias - thanks, and sure - I rely heavily on PS for the final steps ... I find it more direct to work in when getting into bigger sizes. Glad you like my progress :)

Beckie- Ninja! I love your new avatar :thumbsup: I agree with you for the lighting, did some small changes to it yesterday - maybe I have an update later today. thanks sis!

So, not much left now I think - I'm trying some small things... maybe they will imrove the final, maybe not :D

Have a nice day!

Gunilla
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1147194548_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1147194548_large.jpg)

Adjusted and softened the lighting, it's darker now, and not so evenly lit - hope you like it.
The changes I do now are so small that they hardly show up in this small size, just tweaking for the moment.
Any suggestions for improvements are welcome, (besides rerendering) I'm a bit stuck for the moment, maybe this will be the final?

CryingHorn
05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi gunilla, your concept is interesting, very different from others. I'm impressed that you even gave the names for those little creatures :D they're very cute. I like the lighting which can be seen behind on wrap, I would suggest that you should decrease the lighting on those creatures, cause now it's to bright for a night, but that is just a suggestion, Good luck :)

Zapan
05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Morning Gunie !! :argh:

Yay !! the new lighting makes perfect sense to me ! could be the final w00t ! :bounce:

I do have some suggestions tho , have you pick a name yet ?
maybe some : nice to mite you ... or mite me there around midnight could do the job !! :scream:

Re-rendering ? ... why not ... but only for fun , isn't ? :D

Anyway , I will patiently wait for the final upload ... :bounce: *bites nails*

cheers ,

-Steph

rattlesnake
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
hello...well i like this image, the contrast is cool because the mian characters get all the focus, very good idea about it... i like the image the way it is now:thumbsup:

shakes
05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
looks fantastic Gunilla-nice and moody, and not too dark on my screen..dunno about a PC.
One thing I thought..do you really need the skin flakes? I just think the one near big flubber mite, looks a tiny bit odd. just a minor point. it's all just wonderful, and you've pulled yet another difficult project off again!!

antone-m
05-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Gunie u rock :scream: so keep rocking :buttrock:

daWinky
05-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Morning Gunie!

I like the softened lighting and the whole scene this way:thumbsup: ...and cannot find something to crit or improve!
Now I would highly recommend to take some time for a few more icecream and garden passes as mentioned before (I really like this idea:cool: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)!), than look at the scene again and if you still like it and have no revolutionary new ideas...leave it as it is, finish and relax. You've done a great job with your mites here!:)

Originally Posted by Zapan I do have some suggestions tho , have you pick a name yet ?
maybe some : nice to mite you ... or mite me there around midnight could do the job !!

LOL, :D "nice to mite you" is a good suggestion...

-sabrina

Lemog
05-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I really like... even if the pic appear a bit dark on my calibrated monitor...

This is how that's appear perfect with my monitor (and for me of course) :

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/lemog/gunie.jpg

(Dell trinitron 21" and LaCie electron22blueIV and Mitsubishi Diamond21")

Congratulations for this image dear... so original... so you :thumbsup: :love: so mite ? :scream:

"Nice to mite you" seem to be a perfect title... :)

Gunilla
05-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Good morning... I'm so glad to see all your positive comments for my update, you guys rock :)

Andrius- thanks for liking the little ones and thanks for the comment about the lighting. The light have been confusing from the start here, since so many seems to think it was to dark - it's now almost back to where I started it. I'll do some more tests :)

Steph - ahaha, nice to mite you, too :D Title yes, I had been thinking maybe "of mite and men" or "Mite and magic" but maybe "nice to mite you" is better - thanks for the tip and I'm so glad to see you here even if you had to stop yourself :love:

Jorge - thanks! Glad to hear :)

John - yes, the skinflakes... have been bothering me too - I mainly put them there to make the purpose of the mites being there clearer... hmm... thanks for giving me something to think about :)

Tony - thanks, so do you :thumbsup:

Sabrina - looove your suggestion :D And it goes so well with my current project of putting all the veggie seeds in the soil ... we have a fantastic summer week here, suddenly over 20 degrees and sunny :cool:
And I think it will be a good idea stepping away from it some days, thanks!

Lolo - Indeed, your version looks better !
Less contrast it is then and maybe a tad bit brighter? Thank you for always good advice and for beeing so...you? :)

If anyone is curious on how I fixed the light change, here's a quick way:
I just copied the image into a new layer and made that darker and less contrasted. Then I made a "render clouds" filter in the mask slot and painted some adjustments in the mask. Tada, could it be more simple than that?

Thanks all!

..."It mite happen to you" ?

makaron
05-10-2006, 08:14 AM
I´m late as usal... :blush: and that image is dark but not to dark, I can see everything in the shadows and the lights... and I have a PC and a "cheap" screen... :p looks very nice... I mite add... love it... :bounce: and the title... It mite happen to you... :thumbsup: perfect...

Lemog
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
If anyone is curious on how I fixed the light change, here's a quick way:
I just copied the image into a new layer and made that darker and less contrasted. Then I made a "render clouds" filter in the mask slot and painted some adjustments in the mask. Tada, could it be more simple than that?
Compositing and clouds filters are always good friends :scream: and our friends save time :thumbsup:

Zapan
05-10-2006, 10:41 AM
"Mite and magic"

ROFL ... :scream: :scream: :scream: ... I never understand what we were supposed to do in that game :scream:

safe05
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Gunilla,
I always liked your concepts and images. Nice job with this one. Those are some great little critters. :) One thing that stuck out for me (and may be intentional) is where the feet meet the ground. Looks a little too clean. Anyway, great work on this and good luck! :thumbsup:

SuperXCM
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi gunilla, good work here!! :bounce:

like the mood, and the originality of the concept. You've doing a great job my friend!
Sorry that i was busy these times, and i didn't post a lot of comment. Anyway, i follow your thread... :arteest:

Keep this way my friend!!
:beer:

oceanbluesky
05-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Hey just checking out Alias' Maya Masters gallery and came across this:
http://www.autodesk.com/eng/etc/mayamasters/masters/drew_berry.shtml

Gunilla
05-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Steph - haha, neither did I... I think I had MoM IV or something for my Amiga - very strange experience :D

Eric - thanks, very kind of you :) Little to clean? hmmm, I'll see if I can do something about that, thanks!

Lombardo - hey there, good to see you :) thank you and hope you'll have time to finish yours :thumbsup:

Eric - Wooow, really nice - thanks! I hadn't seen his work before and it's really good :love:

Have a great day all - mine will be spent with other work ... see you later :)

ilusiondigital
05-11-2006, 08:52 PM
My favourite 3d-girl heheh, how are you my friend??????

Cool miniuscule image, =)))))

All the best for you Gun

Hugs

Victor Marin
victor@ilusiondigital.com

hhssuu
05-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Nice going on the lighting :) you've done a lot of refinement fromt the last time i visited, it's looking very good and detailed, seems you're near the finish line now, great work :) if i hadn't said it yet, very original work! :thumbsup:

Gunilla
05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Hiya Victor - favourite 3d girl, eh? Now that's sweet - thanks :) Hugs to you too!

Chih-Han - thank you! And yes, I suppose the topic isn't close at hand for many :)
I'm glad you appreciate my tweakings... as usual there tends to be lot of those in the finishing stage... good luck with finishing you own entry :thumbsup:

Lemog
05-12-2006, 10:46 AM
"no update today, my love has gone away"...lala lala la laaaaaaaa...

remember the song of "Her man Her Mite" dear ? :scream: ... hahaha...

Just sorry for free spam... I'm just trying to wait funnily some news here :bounce:

LeMoustacheNut...

soapy
05-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Here on my PC monitor at work I like the lighter one. I think you lose too much on the darker. There is still plenty of a drama and deep shadow in the lighter one but you don't lose so much in the BG, for instance the ribbon on the lampshade. But it is minor in any case. The image looks great.

DaddyMack
05-12-2006, 10:00 PM
... and you were thinking of not doing this challenge:curious:...

This is by far the most disturbing Image in this challenge gunners...

The eaten skin really irritates me... Congratulations

I went to say YOINKS!! but I think it deserves a new word of its own... So given the content I think Eeyeewww!!! is just what it deserves...

Again big congratulations Gunners, a stunning addition to your micro universe

ilusiondigital
05-14-2006, 10:27 AM
He eheehe he what a great image Gun, but one thing, I think you can try to put area shadows for increase the dark sensation

antone-m
05-14-2006, 01:35 PM
hmmm Gunie I`am going to make a revolution
updates :bounce: updates :bounce: updates :bounce: updates :bounce: updates :bounce: updates :bounce:

Gunilla
05-14-2006, 06:32 PM
So, I've made some adjustments now, but they are so small that it hardly shows in the jpg so I wait with updating... basicly it's just a bit brighter and less contrasted. I will hold on to it some more days to see if something changes.

LeMoustache - "Her man Her Mite" Hahaha, that is so good and maybe it could be the title? Still haven't decided for that yet. thanks dear for singing so sweet in my thread :)

Jim - thank you, and I'm beginning to realise my monitor is not exactly in tune ... I've made it brighter now, much like Lemogs suggestion.

Robert - "the most disturbing Image"... hmmm, is that a compliment? ... yep, I think it is, thanks :)
My intentions was never to provoke here ... that's not my style. I suppose my mindset is just a bit...odd? Anyway - I'm really glad for your nice words and so far quite happy with it - even if I'm so tired of it now ( I suppose I'm not alone in loosing energy in the end)

Victor - thanks, and something like that could be worth a try - I'm done rendering now but I still got PS fired up :thumbsup:

Tony - ahaha that's so sweet... maybe I will have something up later then, we'll see if my webserver wakes up ;)

antone-m
05-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Tony - ahaha that's so sweet... maybe I will have something up later then,

can`t wait for that :thumbsup:

we'll see if my webserver wakes up ;)

yeah make sure u wake him up :scream: