PDA

View Full Version : Live Action and CG Modeling Help

IestynRoberts
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Hello all, i was wondering if anyone could help me out here? What im trying to do is get a CG Character to run on the bit of grass that goes from the bottom right of the screen into the cave that's in the middle. I was wondering - how would i go about creating the scene in 3D? When i was out taking picture of the cave, up in the mountains where i live, i took the measurements and everything of how far the cave was from the camera, the bit of cliff on the left etc etc, but when i try to reconstruct the scene in 3d, nothing makes sense, could nayone shine a light on the matter?
Thanks a lot
-Iest

aeres
03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Can you elaborate as to what is it exactly that doesn't make sense?

IestynRoberts
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey - sorry, i just would like to know what would be the best way possible to model the terrain.
-Iest

benclark
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
The easiest way to reconstruct the scenery is to lay poly/Nurbs planes to represent the lay of the ground. In this example I would have at least 3 poly planes

Then just translate the planes and push and pull points to represent the bumps. There is no simple way to do it you just have to recreate whats there using your picture as reference.
Also as a test to see if the ground is OK use simple a dymanic simulation to run a ball over the ground (with a use background shader assigned) This will give you an idea as to how accurate the 3D terrain is

Good Luck

aeres
03-04-2006, 04:45 AM
If you have the measurements, then you could try using placeholders or nulls as markers to represent the points in the actual scene where you measure. Then you will have a rough idea on how the scene is laid out and start from there.

It'll take some bit of trial and error.

IestynRoberts
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey - thanks for the pointers, it's all starting to make sense now. I just coulden't get my head around how i'd go about doing it.

-Many thanks
Iest

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.