PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Andrew Kinabrew

Pages : [1] 2

se7enthcin
02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Andrew Kinabrew is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9702)

Latest Update: Modeling: smoothing of background
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1148185534_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3564217#post3564217)

se7enthcin
02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm thinkin...

However, as of yet I have not finished one of these things. I hope I will be able to find the time :blush:

Good luck to everyone!!! :wavey:

se7enthcin
03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141329117_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141329117_large.jpg)

My concept deals with the Pied Piper of Hamelin. If you are unfamiliar with the story. The pied piper rids a town of rats that infest it. The point of view is from the rats journey out of the town and ultimately to their death. My thought is that there will be a couple of rats near the camera in a "debate" on whether they should follow the man with the flute.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and I think I could have a lot of fun with it.

elmasfeo
03-02-2006, 08:24 PM
original concept, I like it!

good luck with it, and have fun! :D

wesa
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Good luck! Could be really cool!

glennyP
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
wicked idea. The concept is interesting and somewhat engaging. Good luck with finishing it.

se7enthcin
03-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Everyone... I appreciate the approval. I really want to give it a real unique flavor. Or at least distinctive. I'm hoping I can really push this idea to its limits.

alvin-cgi
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
good concept man!!:)

Cleveland
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
i like the concept andrew. good luck.

KangarooMan
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey there Andrew, good call on your entry, very original! :applause: Best of luck on the challenge. I will have to keep tabs on your progress.

Matt :)

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 01:24 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141349063_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141349063_large.jpg)

These are simply some ideas on what the rats may look like.

- cheers

Leionaaad
03-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Nice. Two months, they said?

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 01:42 AM
You mean the deadline of the challenge? The deadline is the 27th of May. Anyone feel rushed? :)

ziriguidum
03-03-2006, 02:05 AM
good sketch. I want see ups. :D

Good luck

sonicstrawbery
03-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Hi man, your concept and sketch looks pretty good, love the rats design so far, keep it up the good work :buttrock:

kingfish3d
03-03-2006, 02:59 AM
wouaw, your rats concept is really nice, if the rest of the picture will give the same feeling it`s gonna be great!!

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 03:58 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141358293_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141358293_large.jpg)

Here's an idea for the pied piper.

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 04:51 AM
I've got a few minutes to thank each of you for taking the time to support me.

elmasfeo

I'm hoping to have lots of fun. I all ready am and I'm pretty stoaked about getting a substantial amount of this done.

Jonason

I'm hoping that is the case. I hope you come back to check up on me.

glennyP

Engaging. I like that. I will attempt to continue to do JUST that.

alvin_cgi

Thank you very much.

Cleveland

Apreciate that. Thank you.

mmbenya

I hope you do. I welcome you. BTW I subscribed to your thread, nice job so far.

cipher

I like the rats but I think I like the one on the left more. I may try a few more. I may start modeling a generic mesh in zbrush just as a template (so I can pose the many rats).

kingfish3d

I hope the second installment of the character development as good as the first in your eyes.

timeless3d
03-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Really great sketches. I was checking out your site and enjoyed your demo reel. I'm sure you will have no trouble producing something great for this challenge.

I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

kingfish3d
03-03-2006, 07:29 AM
definitly like your style man, i`m waiting to see such great art in 3D
:thumbsup:

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 09:50 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141379404_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141379404_large.jpg)

Just getting a feel of how the buildings may look.

dobermunk
03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Andrew. Nice idea. Wouldn't have thought of this story for a journey but it can be a wonderful composition if you build in the story elements.
I like the angle from down amongst the rats. Good dramatic and still lets you fill in the stage levels behind it. Very cool!

hobo
03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Another very good idea. Interesting to me because Hamelin (Hameln), is half an hour down the road from here. :) I'll bookmark this one too.

Stefan-Morrell
03-03-2006, 05:07 PM
The rat sketch is awesome,looking forward to your zbrushed version

the black & white stripes are a good idea for the pipers outfit:thumbsup:

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
dobermunk

Thank you for your comment, do you not think it is good enough for the challenge or a strong enough concept? There is plenty of time to change this early. If anyone thinks so I would much rather them tell me now than later. :)

hobo

I could have swore I got the spelling right :argh: I'm glad you are from the area. Could you give me any input on my initial sketches. Possibly a better direction. I want a "timelessness" but somewhat dated piece. Almost like looking at another world with a "I've been there before" feel if at all possible. OR, I might have to just go my own style and take the fairytail liberties.

Stefan_Morrell

I think I may start on those today. I hope you enjoy them. I think the stripes are my favorite part. But I dig his hat too.

dobermunk
03-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, its a great idea! The difficulty is in keeping the "Journey begins" feel from turning into "Journey's begun". Because everyone is familiar with the story of the piper, there is an expected beginning.

To make the idea stand out I imagine details like over-fed children playing with a dead rat (but only so that you notice it after the 'big picture'). Parents looking at the rats with disgust. Things like that.

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Interesting perspective. I agree with you about the addition of details such as what you speak of.

I was thinking about adding rats on the tops of the houses, in the windows, more of an infestation. I was wanting to use more of an us and him (him being the pied piper). I was hoping to take the perspective of the rats more. For example, when you don't think you are doing anything wrong you wont see others around you that disapprove. It doesn't mean you cannot, just that you wont. I want a suspiciousness of the rats in the foreground as if they don't think of the pied piper as good people

Adding people into the mix may be interesting. I think if I add people they will look more disgusting than in disgust. Like zombies or a threat to tie into the "from the rats perspective" point of view.

I do think beginning and begun is subjective when there are so many rats. I hope I can make this more clear as I get further along.

KangarooMan
03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
I like the buildings, they sort of have a bent Tim Burton sort of feel to them. The rats also look great. :thumbsup:

Xcomman
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Very nice work, what kind of creatures will be on it? :)

se7enthcin
03-03-2006, 10:55 PM
mmbenya

Thank you. However, I'm a bit worried about the buildings not being up to par with my idea. I may change them slightly.

Xcomman

I believe I will mainly use rats and the pied piper. I may use a few extra human like characters.

elmasfeo
03-04-2006, 12:35 AM
the piper design looks very interesting, I like it a lot.... are you going to add those rats' skulls somewhere around the pic? it could a good idea like something premonitory about what's going to happen to the rats...

se7enthcin
03-04-2006, 01:06 AM
The skulls are primarily going to be hanging off of the piper's belt. However, because of the piper's distance from the camera, I don't think you will be able to see them. :shrug:

se7enthcin
03-04-2006, 08:02 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141459347_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141459347_large.jpg)

This is the base mesh for the rats. The next step for this model is to UVMap it so every rat will have the same UVMap setup (I think I can get away with this with the exception of a few select rats). After I UVMap the rat I am going to rig it so I can pose him later. Before I do this. I think I'll do some more modeling.

sonicstrawbery
03-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Cool poly so far se7enthcin, maybe making the nose longer would make it more agressive, like in your sketch, can't wait for details though :buttrock:

MVDB
03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Yep, cool modeling so far, maybe put up the nose a little bit, makes them more agressive.
Nose goes up when they display their teeth, guess this happens with almost all animals

Looks good..

alvin-cgi
03-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Nice sketchs and concepts... have started modeling! Slow down man!!:)

kostra(skeleton)
03-04-2006, 11:15 AM
huh nice model, but make more detail on legs:wip:

Selina42
03-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Its difficult to contribute anything helpful other than praise when an idea is looking so good - so praise it is! I'm really looking forward to following your thread and learning from it!
Fantastic work!

vincent1
03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
LOve the character sketches. Be interestng to see how you will pull off the expressions of so many rats. Will need a lot of that IMO to truly get a dramatic picture. Happy journey, but not for the rats...:D

Zia - Mercenary XIX:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=324688

Alberto_Ro
03-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Nice rats you´ve got there!
But I think the legs look a bit... froggy :D

ecura
03-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello se7enthcin, nices sketch and model. I do agree with kostra(skeleton) and Alberto_Ro about the leg. Looking from the side view the curve looks a bit out of place. Visually it the curve joint on the ankle looks weak to hold the weight of the upper body. Nevertheless this is going well. Keep it up.

se7enthcin
03-04-2006, 04:41 PM
cipher and MichaelMotion

Thank you. This is merely a base mesh. What I'm going to do is use this main rat to create every rat int he scene. I wanted to make him as generic as possible (at least at the begining stages). I do need to add teeth however. So Michael, you're right about that part for sure. Thank you two. :buttrock:

alvin_cgi

Believe me, I don't feel as far along as I should be. So if it makes you feel better, your progress and my head are neck and neck. Thank you for stopping by! :wavey:

kostra(skeleton), Alberto_Ro and ecura

I saw that when I was going to bet last night :hmm: I think I was too tired. I will go back to it and fix it before I start to use this mesh for the rest of the rats. Thank you!

Selina42

Thank you very much :eek: I hope you come back!

vincent1

I'm interested in seeing how I do that myself :blush: Same to you!

robobot
03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh man.. Rats are looking good. :bounce: I want to see more! Keep em coming!

PixelAce
03-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Really interesting, I thought of doing a Pied Piper based image for the Spectacular competition, never even got around to starting though...

I will watch this with great interest, the rats look great, I can picture in my mind hundreds of them swarming after the Piper!

Don't give up....

BoV

makaron
03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Rats! this is a great start :bounce:

wesa
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Really like your concept art, man! Great work!
And the modells are coming around nicely! Like the rats!
The flute player is really cool, can't wait to see him in 3d!
:buttrock:

ODoul
03-05-2006, 12:57 AM
I saw your thread earlier and meant to subscribe. It's a bitch getting old ... LOL

Those sketches look killer and the model too.

Subscribed.

se7enthcin
03-05-2006, 03:59 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141531147_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141531147_large.jpg)

This model is the start of the pied piper. I wanted to have a little fun so I put some muscles on him just for kicks. He won't be quite as cut in the final version. Except I think he might have some pretty nice legs since he is wearing stockings after all.

I think it kind of makes him freaky looking. But what are you going to do. I'll be making his garb pretty soon.

se7enthcin
03-05-2006, 04:22 AM
robobot

I'll try, and great site man. I love the design! Nice and simple.

brother_of_veg

I'm sorry that didn't pan out. I never finished my spectacular entry. I think that's why I'm trying so hard with this one. And yes, there will be hundreds. Oh the hundreds.

makaron

Thank you!

Jonason

Your wish is my command (though a different fairy tail). Thank you for taking a peak at my stuff.

3D_Explorer

I know what you mean about getting older. But any time I say that "I'm getting old," There is someone to tell me that I am much younger than them.

se7enthcin
03-05-2006, 07:16 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141542993_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141542993_large.jpg)

Just a quick test in zbrush with the hat. It's not textured, just used the wonderful zdepth tools along with some color and lighting.

Every day I use ZBrush I find something new to love about it.

Gunilla
03-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Great work so far and a really nice concept - looking forward to follow your journey! :)

soapy
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow nice work, the quality of the sketches and modeling is top notch! I don't have a lot to add right now, it looks like you have things under control. I am looking forward to seeing this one develop. Cheers, good luck.

hobo
03-05-2006, 04:48 PM
dobermunk

hobo

I could have swore I got the spelling right :argh: I'm glad you are from the area. Could you give me any input on my initial sketches. Possibly a better direction. I want a "timelessness" but somewhat dated piece. Almost like looking at another world with a "I've been there before" feel if at all possible. OR, I might have to just go my own style and take the fairytail liberties.

I think your initial sketches are fine. I can only give you a couple of photos of the old town of Hamelin, spelled Hameln here in Germany. The old town, or what's left of it is really very small, but lovely buildings, a few dating back to the 13th century, (I have no pix of these unfortunately), if you'd like I'll try and dig 'em out and scan them. But really I've nothing better than you can find here:-

http://home.arcor.de/andreas.engel/Bilder/hambild.html

they will give a feel for the place, lot's of narrow streets with small buildings, and the main wider one with larger buildings.

Good luck with this, it's looking nice.

KangarooMan
03-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey there Andrew, a lot of cool updates you have here! Looks like you are having a good time in ZBrush, the models have a great shape. I especially like the rat. :twisted: :thumbsup:

se7enthcin
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Gunilla

Thank you very much.

soapy

I know that it is early in the contest but I still feel rushed and feel like nothing is under control. I think this comes from not completing a challenge before (mainly because I was trying to graduate with the last two) but I'm glad I'm giving the appearance of "control." BTW, can't say enough great things about your character. Rad is the word I would use... your character is Rad.

hobo

You have gained a friend for life man. Those are great pictures. At some point I think I would like to visit germany. If you have time to dig up those pics of the old town that would be cool but if not, no big deal. But every little bit helps. The resource pictures you showed me are probably more than efficient. Again, many thanks. YOU RULE!

mmbenya

Thanks for stopping by again. I've modified the rat's hind legs as well but haven't uploaded the pic yet. I think I'll make a couple different versions of the rat first before I show another update on him.

Deje
03-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Wouw, the pied piper is gonna look very nice. I like the style ;) but good luck to you too.

oceanbluesky
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
enjoy the hat...nice coloring looking forward to seeing this progress

BrokenCompass
03-05-2006, 10:44 PM
I loved the concept art of the rats....you have given them real character.

Thanks for the feedback

Chris:)

JurajMolcak
03-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Now, this is your journey. Very "gothic" idea. Love your piper concept. Keep up good work! Gonna watch this :)

shakes
03-06-2006, 01:23 AM
nice modelling mate! those rats are awesome! this is a really neat concept-look forward to the rest.

hobo
03-06-2006, 10:36 AM
hi, I've looked for the pix, but I think I must have taken them with my mothers camera, I can't find them in my lot :(

As I said though they aren't any better than the ones on that site. I have had a look around the net and can't find any better either, seems a shame though with all that nice architecture.
However there is a town with very similar architecture, and has been kept very well. Called Quedlinburg, it is a town in the old East Germany, it is authentic due to lack of activity (!!) ,
and has been given UNESCO world heritage status because of it. Put Quedlinburg into google and look at the images, very very similar to the best of Hameln.

http://www.centralia.ctc.edu/~vfreund/Images/Germany/SachsenAnhalt/Quedlinburg/QuedlinburgMarktopt.jpg

se7enthcin
03-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Deje

Thank you kind sir.

oceanbluesky

Thank you, I love ZBrush. I've developed my techniques in it quite well and understand the capabilities of it more than I did. My next purchase will be modo. I have fell in love with it as well.

1/2

Thank you and you're welcome. I'll be stopping by more as well.

Oweron

It is indeed. I have always liked that style.

shakes

I appreciate it. I hope you do come back!

hobo

I thank you for your efforts. I did a search for Quedlinburg and I am quite satisfied. You have really helped me with the architectural direction of this piece. All I have to do now is combine the realistic style and my "gothic" style into a cohesive unit. Again, I cannot thank you enough. You rock! Many many many many thank yous!!!

soapy
03-06-2006, 06:49 PM
soapy

I know that it is early in the contest but I still feel rushed and feel like nothing is under control. I think this comes from not completing a challenge before (mainly because I was trying to graduate with the last two) but I'm glad I'm giving the appearance of "control." BTW, can't say enough great things about your character. Rad is the word I would use... your character is Rad. Don't worry, lots of time and you have tons done already. Since you have done so well to establish the style and structure you have the luxury now of just working at it one brick at a time and it should all fall into place.

Thanks for the compliment. I have big hopes for my project too, but I am not nearly so organized...

grooshka
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
guys! how I envy you that zbrush stuff :eek:
nice modelling so far. good luck!

KOryH
03-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Hey Andrew,
Great looking stuff so far, and a great Idea. I often look to the classics for inspiration as well. If it aint broke. ya know. also one less thing to think about. After allit's all there you just have to figure out a unique way of showing it. Wich brings me to my next point. I love your style. It's nice to see a recent ACCD grad that dosn't paint like Feng or Ryan. That said, I would have killed to have the Entertainment experience when I was there.

Keep up the good work.

antone-m
03-07-2006, 06:07 AM
cool idea and modeling keep going :wip:

se7enthcin
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141723254_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141723254_large.jpg)

Here are a couple renders of the model as it stands now. I have not touched it up in zbrush nor have I textured it. I've placed lamberts on the model to give it some color. Let me know what you guys think!

se7enthcin
03-07-2006, 09:27 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141723657_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141723657_large.jpg)

The sketches that I did tonight at coffee that prompted the clothing updates. The model is still incomplete. I still have the skulls and the pouch to tend to.

- Cheers

se7enthcin
03-07-2006, 09:45 AM
soapy

Speaking of brick. I suspect there will be many cobblestones in my future but I haven't decided if I am going to actually model them. We'll see. And you are very welcome. I love what you have done so far.

grooshka

ZBrush is one of those gifts that everyone should get themselves. I recommend picking up Meat's new "zbrush for illustrators" dvd from the gnomon workshop. One of the most helpful dvds ever. Do I have to mention that you can get it from the CGSociety store (http://store.cgsociety.org/browse/dvds/gnomon_digital/zbrush/?PHPSESSID=8f5c098dc04264f7fa0056a9164ae785) with a 5% discount if you join? I believe they offer ZBrush with a 5% discount as well. I could be wrong. BTW, they did not ask me to write this. The support is because I think it is a great deal. I always say, you can never have too much information.

KOryH

I saw that you like to take from what is not broken in your thread. I love your character designs so far. I agree with you though. I cannot begin to imagine how many times the story of the 7 samurai have been repeated through history (even before that movie was made) Very cool. :thumbsup:

However I hate to disappoint but I did not graduate from ACCD. I graduated from ACDC (The Art Center Design College). It's all in the acronyms. I have seen the instructors at the ACCD and believe they are very good at what they do. Doesn't Rebeccak teach there? On another note, I have tried not to take on the styles of my instructors. I have always tried to take their criticisms and useful information to improve and expand on any style I was developing at the time. I agree though, I would love to be taught by instructors first hand that are extremely well known in the industry. But to my benefit I have had instructors that are fantastic in their own right. Thank you for your kind comments.

tilite
03-07-2006, 09:57 AM
This is a cool concept, and I love the setting too, really keen to see how that turns out.

Just a quick stop-off for now but I'll be back ;) and you wont be able to shut me up

All the best :thumbsup:

mrdreamer
03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Great idea. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

antone-m
03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
keep going

Banjowanjo
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
hi ! your designs really rocks. love them. my favorite is the early one with the rats. last one with the piper too, nice clothing. very promising atmosphere too.
if i might just share a concern of mine, when it come to modeling i'm always feeling like loosing those sharp lines that make the very strength of a concept. you know it just so easily goes all smooth in 3d. this is a problem that really bother me when i'm modeling and seeing your first modeling tests I think you'll have to be careful too, because I think that if you manage to keep the sharp strength of your design in your final work, it's gonna be awesome.
now maybe you already perfectly know about all that kind of stuff or it might just not be relevant at all, just a thought.
anyway, looking forward more updates !

Versiden
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I like the hat and the sharp angles... very twisted and dark ;p

se7enthcin
03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
tilite

Keen... I haven't heard that in awhile. I love that word. Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will be satisfied with my next update.

mrdreamer

Thank you and good luck to you as well.

the best

I plan to. I think I have a bit of momentum right now.

Banjowanjo

Believe me, I understand your concerns. Currently my model is pretty close to symmetrical which is not the case in my images as well. I want this to be as jagged and true to the concept sketches as possible There is a lot of tweaking. Part of the reason it looks so smooth is I did a pretty general smoothing of the normals. This rids the character of a lot of the jagged lines that are present in the original. I thank you for paying attention and I assure you. I will do my best to mimmic my style on paper as in the computer. Please come back and address any other concerns!!!

Versiden

Thank you sir. I cannot wait to see what you come up with for your final image. I love your initial sketches.

tuck
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
hey man,
thanks for checkin out my entry!
I really love your design character,looking forward to see your worlk!:)

shakes
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
nice progress Andrew- very cute looking elf.

raultabajara
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
You character design and Drawns is very unic (odd) - very good!
I loved!

You Ideia too.
A re-design about a old children story.
I remember the films of Tim Burton when I see you drawns.

good luck

se7enthcin
03-09-2006, 05:32 AM
I am very sorry guys. I had a serious scare over the past couple of days. I had some computer problems and feared that I had lost some client files as well as the file that contained my entry. Luckily I was able to recover the files and back them up on another drive. Absolutely scared the living piss out of me. Again, I apologize for the lack of updates in the past couple of days. I wanted to let everyone know that I am still planing on finishing this competition. You will see another update in the next day or so.

tuck

absolutely man, I will be checking it out frequently.

shakes

thank you sir.

Raul Tabajara

I like Tim Burton a lot. But I am hoping to make it more my own style and I hope that it does anyway but we'll see.

ELLDOY
03-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Nide sketch..I like it..:love:

ODoul
03-09-2006, 06:31 AM
It's really hard to keep up with everyone's progress like I would like to but your doing very well. Nice work.

d3coy
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Very impressive se7enthcin, awesome sketches, great start on the models, going to be following this one closely! You have a great style, I can't wait to see how it manifests itself in other aspects of this creation...

se7enthcin
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141942641_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1141942641_large.jpg)

I made some changes to the hat and the length of the piper. I elongated his legs, arms and fingers to match the drawings more (something that my girlfriend pointed out). I changed his facial structure to mimic the style more as well. I am not going to put eye sockets in on account of the hat covering them. Besides, I like the suspicious look it gives him. There are a few more modeling modifications that I plan to make to this model before I am ready to texture him.

soapy
03-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Nice work on the Piper model.

tuck
03-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Looking good! man:scream:

Gunilla
03-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Great work on the piper - I'm so fond of his hat! The whole character have a nice fairytale look - very sweet!

High3d
03-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice idea e concepts, Andrew. I liked so much of Rat modeling. Good luck!!

antone-m
03-11-2006, 09:17 PM
keep going :thumbsup:

MVDB
03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Yep, the hat looks better this way!
better thank your girl.. :D
he's looking very suspicious indeed..
keep going.. looking good! :thumbsup:

Shinji
03-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Good idea and nice character.

cgoz
03-12-2006, 10:50 AM
nice concept , nice sketches , keep it up

][ndy
03-12-2006, 12:08 PM
First I didn't know what the Piped Piper was and then I remembered the story of "Der Rattenfänger von Hameln"
Cool work there! Are you doing all this stuff in zbrush? I really like those rats!
Keep up and good luck!

shakes
03-12-2006, 07:11 PM
looking great Andrew, keep em coming!

se7enthcin
03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
As far as the update today. I am pretty much done with the modeling for the piper character. I have a couple small things I need to add such as the rat skulls hanging from his belt. I will be UVMapping him next as well as working on some buildings for the environment.

Here is a link to a turnaround of the Piper. Right click save as.
link (http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/piperRoundabout.mp4)

soapy,tuck,and cgoz

Thank you and come back!

Gunilla

That's what I'm going for, so as long as I am accomplishing that I am happy. Thank you!

High3d

I will post an update on the rat in the next couple days as well. Good luck to you too, and thank you for stopping by!

the best

I am trying MY best :D

MichaelMotion

I think so too. I have thanked my girl. She's great! And thank you kind sir.

Shinji

My only hope is that it is good enough to place and thank you!

][ndy

Yeah, the story changes from place to place and it is named differently but it is still the same idea. I am primarily using a combination of ZBrush and Maya 6.5. Thank you!

shakes

I plan to!

se7enthcin
03-13-2006, 07:16 AM
It has come to my attention that not everyone has the MP4 codec so I made the movie into a standard quicktime file. It should still work.

Just a regular turn around. Nothing special.

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/piperRoundabout.mov (http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/piperRoundabout.mov)

MVDB
03-13-2006, 07:23 AM
thanx for that .mov!

looks good. thing I noticed is the cape, maybe try and make it more pointy at the corner ends(or just one end).. Sorry if this was planned already, I know it's still early :D :thumbsup:

luigithekid
03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Thats a funny concept! Good modeling of the piper! Maybe the cape could be longer.

rasamaya
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Love the rats, Z modeling is great! Thanx for sharing. I love your concept, this could be very dark if you let it get out of hand... Im going to research the story and read over your thread soon... hey do you have anymore concept images of your final perspective?

GoodLuck!

Elentor
03-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Nice concept. The guy reminds me of Black Mages in Final Fantasy 9.

soapy
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey cool turn around movie.

I see that we are all required to do a turntable thing for the contest. I haven't actually seen one working yet. Anybody know whats up with this thing?

Gnimmel
03-13-2006, 08:15 PM
I like this idea a lot and just read through most of this thread to catch up. I really like the rat designs and think they have a lot of character. The piper is looking good also, I really need to learn Zbrush after seeing some of the entrys to this comp. Anyway, my only crit would be the pippers shirt sleaves, they seem a little tight under the arms making his arms seem very thin. Appart from that, I think everything is looking great.

Good luck,

Richard

se7enthcin
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142324538_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142324538_large.jpg)

This is the first stage of the Piper in his textured state. I want to put more detail into him but I fear you won't be able to see it anyway. Some of the mesh is not smoothed out yet. I haven't decided how much detail I really want to put into the mesh being that the character will be anywhere from the middle ground to the background.

We'll see.

se7enthcin
03-14-2006, 08:35 AM
MichaelMotion

I agree about the cape. I am still in the process of UVmapping it so there is room for change. I have been working on it quite a bit tonight and feel I need to back off a bit. Thanks you for paying so close attention to my thread! :thumbsup:

luigithekid

I have thought about making it longer but I don't know how I feel about it just yet. I'll sleep on it. Thanks for stopping by!

rasamaya

I kind of want it to get out of hand. I love dark pieces. I made the paint on his face a dark red like drying or dried blood. I like where it is going. We'll see how twisted I can make it look.

Elentor

He does have a hat similar to them :)

soapy

Thank you sir. I have not actually submitted the turntable just yet because I am not to a point where I feel he REALLY needs one. I will submit the finished texture one as well as post a movie file for everyone to check out. I think the turntable submission is simply for the judging.

Gnimmel

Nice of you to drop by! I will be working on the rat soon. I want to do some tests with maya hair but I will have to do that at work. I do not have access to unlimited at home. (I would settle for second place if I won even though I think it is kind of weird shooting for second.) As far as ZBrush, I recommend you learn it. It is right in the middle of a 2D program and a 3D program. Something completely strange and bazaar. As far as the sleeves. I think I like the "tightness." I think in the first textured version you may agree.

Stefan-Morrell
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
looking great Andrew!
nice colour scheme in the cloth to bounce off that awesome black & white striping,
the markings on his face look a bit odd,kind of looks like a dodgy shadow as it's not imediately apparent it's face paint?

looking forward to the final piece

Cheers
Stefan

JurajMolcak
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Hiya,
Nice progressing around here :cool: I am thinking about one lil´point - Love your color scheme, but stripes directly on hands kinda don´t do to me. I know that they are glove like, but what about to give him another gloves - you will get similar look as on feet. Keep up good work!

Edit: Checked your concept for him. Looks nice in detail, but probably, when you will have him more in background that stripes are going to destroy shapes on hands. Just thinkin´around.

antone-m
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM

M477
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey, looking good so far! I particularly like your rat concept sketches - they should be great!
:bounce:

Geteken
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Hiya

Man o man, let me just compliment you on your Piper design, actually all your design skeches so far, they are realy good. What are the markings on the Pipers face, looks like blood?
I'm looking forward to seeing how this wil end up, I'm sure it's going to be awsome

Later

tuck
03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Looking good.
I like the new details keep going:cool:

ODoul
03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Lookin good buddy!

se7enthcin
03-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Stefan-Morrell

Thank you for your nice comments. I agree the face paint doesn't look so much like face paint right now. I am still working on arranging the materials so the cloth looks more like cloth and the face looks more like skin and the paint looks more like paint. Cool new Avatar!

Oweron

Interesting thought. I had not thought about that. I might be able to correct that with lighting. I think I'll try it the way my concept sketches reflect but if it looks off I think I will add gloves. Thank you for stopping by!

3D_Explorer, the best, M477 and tuck

Thank you friends!

Geteken

Thank you sir. You are right, the markings on his face is blood. I'm going to make the textures better. going through that process now. Thank you for coming!

KangarooMan
03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey there Andrew, I am really enjoying your rendition of the Piper I especially like the striped gloves and stockings! :thumbsup:

Clorets
03-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Looking good, the rats are going to be awesome

se7enthcin
03-15-2006, 03:33 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142393601_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142393601_large.jpg)

This is a more developed blocking of the scene. I haven't posed any of the rats or the piper for that matter. But as you can see the position of the piper leaves small details futile. I am still going to go with the twisted buildings. Those are just a bit harder to portray in 30 minutes.

- cheers

Sneakybunny
03-15-2006, 03:48 AM
hi man keep up the good work, curious?
have you thought about you point of focus in you artwork yet?

i love to make 2 or more points of focus so you can take people on journey with there eyes through you art work.

its start to come together i'll be following

hhssuu
03-15-2006, 06:07 AM
hi man, cool idea. It'll definatly look very spectacular with all those rats.

Selina42
03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey Se7enthcin! Its getting so exciting! Obviously i think all your designs are spot on -and its great to see you place all the scene elements together! One question - how are you going to deal with rendering that much fur?! Wow though -I really cant wait to see more!

hobo
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey, this is really taking shape. If and when you do visit Germany, and you go to Quedlinburg, you'll see that many of the buildings are indeed twisted. All sorts of shapes and sizes.

Very nice :thumbsup: love those rats :)

shakes
03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
looking awesome Andrew- a rat army(looks like one!)..fantastic! I really like the composition- has a great sense of destination to it. keep it up mate!

M477
03-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey, looking good - I like the rats point of view and the general composition with the moon highlighting the piper on the right. It'll really take shape when the rats are posed - have you thought much about the rat in the foreground on the left? he occupies a lot of the image at the moment so it'll be interesting to see how you position him.

Keep it up! :bounce:

asbassie
03-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Rats! I mean man these are really nice. Your concept is coming together rather nicely. I agree. the rat in the front could draw a lot of attention, i'm sure you know what you want to do, but if i might even suggest that the rat quite clearly should draw attention - a pose like looking over his shoulder in a way sorta inviting us other rats to join him and off all the rest go to their inevitable DOOM.

se7enthcin
03-15-2006, 03:28 PM
no1gashuffer

The two main points of the scene will consist of the two rats in the foreground and have them interact with each other. Possibly looking suspicious or confused and I'll have the path of the eye drawn to the piper. I am glad you think so. Thanks for stopping by!

hhssuu

I hope so! :buttrock:

Selina42

Thank you very much! Good question! The rats further back will have a range of texture maps that suggest hair but wont actually have hair. The rats in the foreground to about half of the scene will be using hair. It will be still will be difficult on the render time but I think I will be able to pull it off. If all else fails I'll render portions and paste them together in post.

hobo

Thank you for coming back! I was thinking even more twisted and misshapen than the references you showed me. A real "Tim Burton" feel I suppose. I still am hoping to make it my own though, and Germany is absolutely on my "to do list."

shakes

Thank you kindly. I think I may switch it to a wide screen format but I will not change much. There are the obvious changes in the posture and poses of the rats as well as the piper but I am glad you can see my vision!

M477 and asbassie

He does occupy much of the screen. This is partially why I want to spread out the amount of area that is viewable. I think it would give him a little more breathing room. But the two rats up in front are a focal point so I will need them to some extent. I am hoping to really make this an engaging piece! Thank you for coming!

simovici
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Very nice concept. Also a lot of work. Are you going to put some hair on all those rats?

Anyway, great work until now. I'll be watching :0

se7enthcin
03-16-2006, 06:23 AM
simovici

Thank you and yes it is. Not on all of the rats. Only the ones foremost to the camera. The ones further away will have either transparency maps with hair like textures or just textures depending on the distance. Please do come back.

ThierryS
03-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Cool sketches Andrew, I like them and great idea. Gee, there's a lot of work ahead for you, welcome to the mad house hehe! All my best, will be back:thumbsup:

bkeiser3d
03-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Looks cool, nice camera angle, looking froward to seeing more :thumbsup:

komsa
03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I like your idea. It would be more distinct, i think, if there is a first reaction on music sounds. All rats stand in stark poses with the perplexed facial expressions, thinkin' "what was that?":)
Just my reflections...

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10869

asbassie
03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah disgusting oily hairy little rodent rat scumspreading mongrels...with hair... I'm like raising my expectations on what you'll prove to be a masterpiece...More? How much detail and mapping on those buildings? I agree with the amount of work still lying ahead, although I can't really comment, I just want to see everyone having a good run. See soon.

soapy
03-17-2006, 06:06 AM
The blocking looks kool, pretty god idea to get into that before building everything out. Could save a lot of hassle and waste later on. Looks good.

Silgrin
03-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Great idea! A bit grim... A bit fabulous... Excellent mixture of opposite feelings.
But just imagine how all these furry rats will warm your CPU up:banghead: I hope you have sth really enormously powerful... Or use a net renderfarm:)
Unfortunately, at the moment I don`t see any discussion among the rats, they just follow the guy with the flute. I hope it`s not the final setting yet, I`d be really happy to see it following your original idea. Good luck!

kary
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Wow that is an ambitious scene, very good fable to make use of. The blocking and character development has gone well -- the focal point issue is a little confused as talked about above, but it's all rendered in an even grey draft which makes that part hard to read for me.

I'll be interested to see the lighting develop. The moon looks like it'll be giving you a nice chance to silhouette, or rim light, in white -- and I assume that most of your camera side light is going to come from torches or gaslamp posts etc?

You've definately given yourself the tools to show a lot of distance here :)

se7enthcin
03-19-2006, 12:23 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142727806_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142727806_large.jpg)

I added the flute. I had an idea that the piper just picked it out of the ground somewhere. I figured any flute that would lure any rat or child would have to be enchanted some how. I haven't textured it. It's got a poor man's texture and doesn't show it off very well but you get the idea. The background is nothing but a 3 minute job in photoshop. I'm liking where it is going, I hope you do too.

dmonk
03-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Excellent Pose!
I also like the background if thats similar to what you're going to stick with. Nice progress.

rasamaya
03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Im back... This is a great style. Good Work. To be critical, I dont like your textures for the hands.

Love it!

se7enthcin
03-19-2006, 12:36 AM
thierry2005 and bkeiser3d

Thank you much and yes I do. There will be more... Oh so much work to be done.

komsa

I agree. Once I get the rats posed I think it will get the idea across better.

asbassie

I haven't decided. I'm trying to keep in mind the distance between the camera and the object and building the models in such a way that it will be read correctly without a long render time. I wish will/is having a good run. I feel intimidated by a lot of really good ideas and models.

soapy

Agreed, but I haven't decided on the camera angle yet. The one in the latest update has caught my interest.

Silgrin

Thank you much. Yes it may very well be a hindrance on my computer. Hopefully I'll be able to use my work's computers :wise:

kary

The short answer is yes and thank you. I'm looking forward to completing it to show everyone exactly what is in my mind but I'm thinking about changing the camera angle. I should decide on that now because it may save me a lot of modeling :thumbsup:

se7enthcin
03-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Dmonk

Thank you and I'm thinking about changing the scene up a bit.

rasamaya

Yes. I'm not too happy with the textures on the hands from that angle. The textures are not done :shrug: I may put gloves on him like suggested earlier.

Thank you everyone for stopping by!

blueferret
03-19-2006, 01:29 AM
ah ! the pied piper of Hamlin.......looking good

JurajMolcak
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Yes, this angle do to me very well. And flute idea is so strong! What about to make kinda background hill with street and big "rat´s army" on it. You will get pretty strong mass scenery. On the other hand, there might be problem with small rats. Just some ideas. Keep up good work :thumbsup:

JacquesPena
03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Great Idea. Pipe Piper, and you got the modeling style for the idea. Great stuff dude. From what I remember from the story, you pretty much got the scene very recognizable.:thumbsup:

Gunilla
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Great progress here - the pose works well. This will be sweet for sure!

shakes
03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I love his pose with the lighting and textures- looks great! not 100% sure about the flute-
I'd be tempted to make it a real flute, just so there's no confusion(or de-twig it a bit!}. lovely stuff, Andrew.

se7enthcin
03-19-2006, 07:38 PM
blueferret Gunilla and Sleepinglion

It looks like this composition and pose says pied piper more from your responses. I'm leaning more toward this as a final. It means I will have to bump up the detail in the pied piper (which I have all ready started doing).

Oweron

You are thinking along the same lines I am. I think the small rats wont actually be too much of a problem. I still want to make the scene littered with rats!

shakes

Thank you. I am still not sure about the textures. I want him more "dirty." I've been playing with the idea (since he will be closer to the camera) of using a SSS shader. I think the flute will translate better with an ACTUAL texture. I have been testing some procedural textures and they look better but I'll probably uvmap it and go from there. I may have to remove some twigs.

Thank you everyone again and please keep the crits coming!

Vedic-kings
03-19-2006, 07:42 PM
This is really cool, love the feel this is giving off.

Keep up the good work!

MT-Cup
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow, I really like your theme. Only comment is currently, the foot of the piper is not bent as if it were really taking his entire weight. It really looks like he's floating.

Xristot
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Man, awesome concept and its really coming along well. If I was only half as far as you...

antone-m
03-19-2006, 09:27 PM
hahaha lol now that`s an imaginative flute keep going :cool:

Selina42
03-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey Se7enthcin!

I love the pose of the piper! You really get the whole feeling of the story from that pose -its part balletic, part jig and part snake-charmer and you really feel the lure of the pipe! I think his outfit and its colour palette is great -although i do agree that the stripes on the gloves might be a little much -as its slightly confusing to the eye -the stripes are so bold that the viewer might not immediately grasp what the fingers are doing. I think the flute is absolutely great! If you make sure you can see the different note holes in the side and a hollow end it's function should be pretty clear. Loving your photoshop bg as well -i hope you'll be keeping the bridge from your initial sketch too though!

se7enthcin
03-20-2006, 06:29 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142836192_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1142836192_large.jpg)

There are a couple of things going on here. I've upped the resolution on the mesh. The only things I have not updated in geometry is the actual body and the shoes. I plan on doing this very soon. I have also given his cape a velvet like texture and a SSS shader to his skin. I've been wrestling with that all night. I have finally arrived at a place where I feel I am somewhat happy with it. However, my shading network is pretty large now. I upped the resolution of the texture maps as well and plan on adding slight details here and there. I apologize for the lighting. I only threw one spot light in the scene to cast shadows.

se7enthcin
03-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Vedic kings and the best

Thank you. I too am starting to like where it is going.

MT Cup

I adjusted the foot slightly in this rendition, Thank you for catching that. I do however have more changes to it that I would like to make so more to come. Please come back!

Xristot

All in good time my friend. I am still looking forward to seeing your sketches!

Selina42

That is the one thing that has been consistent in the crits. My brother says the same thing. I think this pose displays his fingers better but it may still need those gloves we have been talking about. I agree with the flute. I only hope that the detail will be clear enough. It is actually a very interesting flute, you just cannot see it in the shadows as it is. Thank you, I will be working on an ACTUAL background in the coming week. and I believe I may just keep that bridge. :thumbsup:

BAMU
03-20-2006, 06:40 AM
nice pose ;) ... maybe you should show his eye, that may give him a even better expresion alog this nice pose ... just a thought.

antone-m
03-20-2006, 07:50 AM

ThierryS
03-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah I like the pose! The SSS shader is not yet very percepted, but it will probably improve with a proper back light. So keep it up, got nothing to crit sofar. It's great work!:thumbsup:

Hum, maybe just one little thing, that arm crease I think can be tweaked. :)

asbassie
03-20-2006, 09:01 AM
You're still doing it! Good. I'm glad you started on the buildings too.:)

authentic
03-20-2006, 09:19 AM
excellent posing. Love it.

tuck
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
nice update man!
I love the colour scheme and the design of a suit.:thumbsup:

hobo
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
looking very good Andrew.

M477
03-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Looks like you're going in the right direction with the pose of the piper, he's got that 'musical' pose that's so necessary!

Keep up the good work :wip:

shakes
03-20-2006, 07:44 PM
looking good Andrew-the skin is nice, and I think the pose looks perfect- mischievous and menacing!

sonicstrawbery
03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Nice guy design and pose, maybe the cape should be more floating in the air, it looks a bit static now...i like your progress :)

se7enthcin
03-20-2006, 10:54 PM
-BAM-

Thank you. At this time I don't feel showing his eye would contribute a whole lot to the mysteriousness of the piper. I appreciate your suggestion though. :wavey:

thierry2005

I agree, the SSS shader may not be optimized to my benefit but I think I'll tweak the maps a little to make it "better." I know the crease in the arm looks horrible :blush: I am going to fix that in the next piper update.

asbassie

I have started rough box modeled shapes of them, however, I might have to change up the environment of Hamln to create the new mood I am going for.

cipher

I am a little embarrassed. The cape is actually "flowing." I think when you see the new turn around I am planing for; you will see that I have modeled ripples and all sorts of neat cloth like effects. I will tweak it so it feels more like it has movement from this angle.

I think one of the problems with 3D translating into a 2D image is that I can get into a 3D mind frame and will cater my characters to looking good and more fluid in animation than in a static 2D image. I am trying hard to realize the final output.

the best, authentic, tuck, M477, shakesand hobo

I'm trying! I think I have some pretty good momentum on this project. Thank you all.

Thank you to those of you who provide support and criticisms!! :beer:

MT-Cup
03-21-2006, 01:13 AM
The piper looks much more grounded now. I'm concerned however, that your new camera angle is forcing my eye out of the picture rather than pulling it in. I'd play with that a bit before you settle on the final composition. I can't wait to see those buildings go up, they look awesome and I like where you are going with the fabric on the cape. Nice work so far.

DimitrisLiatsos
03-21-2006, 01:18 AM
The color u chose on him are so pleasing to the eye !

Keep going friend.

Elentor
03-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Very expressive and poetic. Congratulations

fer3d
03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I love your work so far. The piper is misterious and "fairy tale" like. The rats are mean looking and easy to hate!

You have a lot of work posing al the rats (I see your promised hundreds). Have fun!

fer

luigithekid
03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I think your comp sketch had a lot more tension, the blocking shows too much background!
The piper looks awesome. And someone already pointed the elbow thing!

alancamara
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Looks great, fantastic character concept and I liked his pose, keep it up

Alan

oceanbluesky
03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Nice concept, looking forward to seeing more -- great shadows! Good luck!

se7enthcin
03-22-2006, 06:23 AM
MT Cup

I couldn't agree more. I am just playing with the camera currently. I haven't decided on the final composition. I would like to but my indecisive mind wont let me.

DimitrisLiatsos

I am so glad you think so. I think I did make a good choice with the colors. I only hope I can carry that with the rest of the scene.

Elentor

Expensive indeed. I tried to budget ways of creating a hairy furry creature without killing my render time at work this evening and I was unsuccessful. I must try harder!

fer3d

I have and I am still troubleshooting that promise. I really want a lot of rats in the scene. I have even thought about doing renders of a single rat in different poses then placing them on a single polygon in the distance facing the camera with a simple alpha mask.

luigithekid

I am not sure what you mean about tension. I agree there may be more story in the first composition. But I think this new composition is more involving (it is not final by any means). I would like to hear more on your opinion. I apologize about the elbow again. I feel bad about posting it! :banghead:

alancamara and oceanbluesky

Thank you!!

rattlesnake
03-22-2006, 07:40 PM
man i like the style..the cloths and modeling design fits very good to your character, :thumbsup:
good job

ChrisD01
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
hello se7enthcin,
very excelent character :cool: I like the pose too, just one thing,
I find that the mouth should be closed more on the flute
good continuation:thumbsup:

KangarooMan
03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey there, great updates you have here! I really like the colors you decided to go with in the last image. :beer:

ziriguidum
03-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi, bro. :wavey:

I liked the colours of socks hehe.. nice position too.

a-papantoniou
03-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Fantastic look for your character (reminds me a tiny bit of Brom's work for the Plucker - which is a good thing!)

vader
03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
i love this character, good pose too! :bounce:
keep it up dude

sonicstrawbery
03-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I think one of the problems with 3D translating into a 2D image is that I can get into a 3D mind frame and will cater my characters to looking good and more fluid in animation than in a static 2D image. I am trying hard to realize the final output

motion blur or compositing should help you to do those stuffs, i'm sure you can get something interesting with using for your final pic, just an idea

Tremoside
03-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi Andrew, Thanks for the help and inspiration!
As i browsed your CP...impressive. I really like the pose of the Piper. The chosen view is also fine. i only miss the face of the main character, just a bit. am curious about the expression of him. So best wihez, you're cooking a great image in your kitchen...:thumbsup:

Womball
03-25-2006, 07:43 AM
WOW! Great pose and character design. The stocking on the hands could use a bump map, but you might not be there yet.

se7enthcin
03-25-2006, 08:22 AM
rattlesnake

I appreciate you saying so. :buttrock:

ChrisD01

I couldn't agree more. It is on my list of changes that I need to make to the piper's body. It's getting there but it's not quite there yet.

mmbenya

Thank you! i don't think I will be straying from these colors for the final piece. There will be various lighting changes of course (because this is far far far from the final scene) but much more to come.

ziriguidum

I'm quite fond of them as well. I'm glad you think so too! :wavey:

a-papantoniou

There's someone I have not been compared to yet. That's very cool. I admire brom very much so. :thumbsup:

vader

Thank you sir!

cipher

I agree. I think using depth of field and motion blur will help somewhat but I am not entirely sure I will end up using them in the end. I am far off from that point and I plan on exploring as many possibilities as humanly possible within the deadline of course

Tremoside

You are so very welcome my friend. I enjoyed your work last challenge! Knowing that I am able to assist in any way gives me this funny tingly sensation. I love helping people! I am also very glad you enjoyed my entry thus far. I know many people really want to see the piper's face but currently it is my belief that he needs to be in shadow :sad: I think once this starts to come together more I will be able to persuade those who think otherwise. If not, I am not above changing the model to better help the overall image. As for cooking in my kitchen... I am very hungry and I think I may have to get something to eat :arteest:

Womball

I don't know if a bump map is the solution. I will be trying a few things. Stick around. I will try not to disappoint!

Thank you everyone for continuing to visit my thread!

se7enthcin
03-25-2006, 09:04 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1143277495_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1143277495_large.jpg)

This is a test with the shaders on the cobble stone I modeled a couple days ago. I am pretty proud of it. I modeled it so that the geometry could be tiled seamlessly. For my purposes and where I believe the camera will end up, it will work out perfectly. I think for a first test, it turned out pretty good. the bump may be too high but I also had a problem with the shader. I will probably repaint it in zbrush. Too much to get into right now. I must go to bed, it is my girlfriend's birthday today/tomorrow (depending on where you are in the world).

- Cheers

authentic
03-25-2006, 11:20 AM
It's just a little part of a rock road and well I'mimpressed. So just congrats.

hobo
03-25-2006, 03:52 PM
keep it up. Great update.

shakes
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
wow, you modelled the cobbles..that's dedication for you!! they look really nice, too. good texture.

antone-m
03-25-2006, 09:04 PM
nice texture but I think they are too dark don`t u think ?

Vedic-kings
03-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Great work so far!

I love the cobble stone.

Keep it up:thumbsup:

MT-Cup
03-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Honestly, I'm not seeing a problem with the cobble shaders. Or the bump. I think it looks great.

Selina42
03-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Wow! Just Wow!!! Those coblestones are just lovely! I'm in agreement with MT Cup - they look pretty darned good from here!

tuck
03-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Nice update man! keep going!:)

hhssuu
03-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Hey man, i quite like hte character in the figure's pose, and the groud is looking very neat, good work keep it up :thumbsup:

ThierryS
03-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Looking good Andrew! that bump map is working very well. nothing to crit, just keep that direction:thumbsup:

soapy
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey nice work! I love the velvety textures you have put on the piper. The cobblestones are superb, but they might be going beyond the other elements in terms of surface finish? I suppose lots of time to bring one up or the other down...

KangarooMan
03-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey Andrew, you did a really great job modeling the street so that it would tile, it looks great! I agree though with what some of the others have said though, it appears like the character and the street are in two different styles. All in all though excellent work! :buttrock:

rattlesnake
03-28-2006, 01:28 AM
man ..thats great stone texture...really cool job with it!:applause:

Versiden
03-28-2006, 08:50 AM
nice work on the cobble stones, well done!

Zapan
03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Arf sorry to drop by here this late !

Pretty awesome style you got , the character is totally great !

Can't wait for more !

cheers ,

-Zapan

handlebar
03-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Looking forward to seeing the rats, i'm rather fond of rats, nice concept and well executed so far.:buttrock:

Gunilla
03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Very nice work on the stone road, I've no problems with the slightly differented styles - now bring out some rats! :bounce:

MVDB
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
The 'cobble-stone' ground looks great!
Especialy when you say, you're gonna go back and make it even better in ZBrush..
Looking forward to that! Can it get better then this?

Thanx for your words!
Been terribly busy with work those last days, I said a weekend, I know..
Hope I'll get back to the challenge soon...! See ya!

blakbird
03-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Vow, it is an original theme for this challenge pal.
Thumbs up!

][ndy
03-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Andrew,

your project is coming along really nice!
May I ask how you did the stones for the ground?

se7enthcin
03-31-2006, 12:28 AM
authentic

I'm glad you feel that way. I have been working on getting the road down to the point where I am feeling very good about it. I have been working on randomizing it, adding to it, etc. Thank you for coming by!

hobo, Vedic-kings, tuck, hhssuu, rattlesnake, Versiden and Le-Go

Thank you friends! :bowdown:

shakes

Dedicated, I think not... insane, that's more like it! :beer:

thebest

It could very well be that it is too dark. My problem is that my monitor displays dark values really well. This can work as a disadvantage to me being that not everyone's display is capable of displaying the dark gamut as well as mine.

MT Cup, Selina42, thierry2005,

Thank you much. I think when I really get close to the bump it looks too high but that could be said for many bumps.

soapy and mmbenya

I agree with you. All the textures in the scene are not up to par in my book but for a first tests they are not "bad." I was going to mess with the specular and diffuse more when I get the "actual" texture for the cobble going. The piper needs lots of work in terms of texture and I haven't developed those fully just yet. Thanks mates! :buttrock:

Zapan

Better late than never. Thank you and I'm glad you dropped by! :bounce:

handlebar

Agreed. I think I may have to composite the entire scene in zbrush. I haven't completely figured that out. The hair is posing a problem for me. I'm going to be trying a couple things this weekend and I hope to be posting a tutorial on part of it.

Gunilla

I'm glad you think so. I still want to try a couple different things because to me I don't think the piper is quite there yet. I will try my best! :thumbsup:

MichaelMotion

I certainly hope so! You are very welcome. I love your style and your modeling! I understand the work thing. I have been very busy myself. My girlfriend has wanted more time together as well as my freelance jobs wanting more time from me. This is why I haven't updated my entry recently either. I understand, I understand. :beer:

][ndy

Yes you may. The short of it is it is the same stone manipulated with vertexes welded together to make an entire patch. I will post a tutorial in my thread sometime this weekend for everyone to see. :wavey:

Wow, that was a lot of replies. I will attempt to be a little more attentive to my thread in the future. I will post updates soon! Again, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INTEREST! :arteest:

antone-m
03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
thebest

It could very well be that it is too dark. My problem is that my monitor displays dark values really well. This can work as a disadvantage to me being that not everyone's display is capable of displaying the dark gamut as well as mine.

lol yeah this could be a problem :D

laurindel
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
hey Andrew, great concept and development of it. The groud texture test is perfect :)

Great Work.

alancamara
03-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey Andrew, man you've benn a great work with the textures no crits.

Alan

Cleveland
04-01-2006, 01:53 PM
don't really have any negative criticisms for you at the moment. i love the style of this piece. with the twisted buildings you're going for it's very tim burton esque and totally up to his production quality. keep going man.

cleveland

ODoul
04-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Coming along very nicely. Keep it up!

mmoir
04-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Andrew,

Really interesting concept:thumbsup: . The pied piper character is looking great and the flute is awesome. I like the cobblestones too . This is going to be interesting to see finished. Good luck

DaddyMack
04-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Whoah, Hia Andrew, just went through your challenge page and this looks like a very ambitious project! Big things are happenin here... I love the piper and your designs/ illustrations are wonderful... A little critique would be that with the branch (flute) this way, it is unclear what it is, I like the concept behind it and I think it should be included but I feel it would communicate better if it appeared a little more 'flutey... Good luck with the crowds;)

se7enthcin
04-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Here is a tutorial on how I did the cobble stones. It is a lot more simple than it looks. I hope you enjoy it! :)

I first started out in maya with a plane.
In the gif I show that I create a plane with 16 subdivisions. I ended up deleting a row. The object of this portion is to get the basic layout of the mesh than get the basic arrangement of the vertex in such a way that it will be easy to tile later. Make sure if you do this that you vary the cobblestone shapes more than in the example. The more they are varied before you cut it down the more you have to work with.
In the last portion of the gif before it loops I used the cut faces tool and constrained the axis with the shift key. I scaled and centered the pivot of the mesh to get the geometry set up in a grid like fashion. This allows for easier duplication and more precise movement horizontally across the X and Zed axis.
There are many ways of starting out but this is an easier method than what I used. In the method I used I took one plane, created one cobblestone and duplicated it and welded the vertexes. The advantage of this method is that it allows you to attach vertexes to non parallel polygons to offset the stones. You can do the same thing by offsetting the selection shown below in every other row.

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/CGTalk/CobbleStones1.gif

I then exported the obj from maya than imported it to use in zbrush.
The first thing I did was creased the edges. This creates a defined boarder that is harder to manipulate when you start sculpting the changes in topology. It also allows the freedom to divide the mesh without rounding the boarders.
Next as you would expect I divided the mesh a couple subdivisions.
I like to reduce the intensity of the draw cursor to a 7 to 10 to work with. I find that with 40,000 polygons or so it gives me the right amount of control. It is also helpful to note that I use a wacom tablet whenever working in Zbrush.
Lastly reduce the poly mesh to a decent subdivision level that is higher than the original obj but lower than the highest subdivision you obtained. The reason for this is that it will be much easier to complete the geometry tile while in maya. My square ended up being roughly 20,000 polygons.

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/CGTalk/CobbleManipulation.jpg

import the mesh into maya
go to edit>duplicate options
In the duplicate options set the distance along the Z or X axis as well as choose the instance option. The objective is to line up the -Z face with the Z face and the -X face with the X face. Instancing allows for manipulation of multiple mesh vertexes at the same time. In this step you will snap each vertex to the copy or original mesh to line up the seams. (you can make changes to either the instance copy or the original mesh) Depending on how much of a change you made in ZBrush, this may take a while.
After finishing this step you may decide that the seam is too noticeable. You can than duplicate copies (not instances) of the mesh and tile the cobblestone patch in every direction. Go to polygon>combine than edit polygons>merge multiple edges. I have found that depending on how close the edges are the default setting should work with minimal cleanup. If needed go in with the merge vertex command in edit polygons and do it manually.
At this point you can use the edit polygon>cut faces tool to cut a nice square block out of your tiles. This block will too be capable of tiling. Then delete unneeded faces. You may go back into zbrush with this tile to "iron out" the seam that you did not like.
If needed, rinse and repeat.
http://www.coldseatproductions.com/CGTalk/mayaVertexFix.jpg

Couple things to note. You can always use the combine command to take multiple tiles into zbrush and give them that extra little something or fade that seam just that much more.

The advantage to doing geometry tiles is texture size. You can spread different styles of textures across the same geometry tile because the uvmap should be relatively unchanged (did I mention you should uvmap the tiles before taking it into zbrush the first time?). Instancing the tiles will also save time when you go to render.

Hope you found this useful!

se7enthcin
04-02-2006, 10:48 AM
thebest

indeed :blush:

kebook alancamara and 3D_Explorer

Thank you friends for stopping by!

Cleveland

I hope I continue to meet your approval.

mmoir

I'm interested in the same thing :D

DaddyMack

I have a tendency to go after projects that are "too ambitious." Lets hope I am able to keep that under control this time. I agree with the flute. I still haven't been able to get to it. It is on my list my friend. It is a long list.

Vedic-kings
04-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey thanks for sharing the maya ZB work flow, I learned something:thumbsup:

laurindel
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey thanks for sharing the maya ZB work flow, I learned something:thumbsup:

yes¡¡ me too, i need to practise with ZBrush demo :)

][ndy
04-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Andrew,

thanks a lot for the tutorial. This might help me creating better stone stairs!
I guess there is still much to learn for me.

handlebar
04-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Very nice to see some of your workflow, thanks for takeing the time to put the tute together, looking forward to your progress :thumbsup:

MT-Cup
04-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the great tute! I learned a lot and got some ideas from it.

antone-m
04-02-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks for this great tut man:thumbsup: , u rock :buttrock:

soapy
04-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey thanks for the tut Andrew. I dont use maya or zbrush yet but this will translate nicely to cinema anyways. Nice clean idea. Cheers.

se7enthcin
04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I am so glad that my tut is being received so well. I am also pleased to know that users across software may be able to use it. Good times! I plan on at least one more tutorial later when I pose the rats. Keep an eye out for me, it might sneak in here without me knowing. :scream:

I love teaching people and contributing to new ideas!

An update to come later today :D

se7enthcin
04-03-2006, 04:31 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1144035106_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1144035106_large.jpg)

This is a rough layout of the cobblestone. I threw the piper in there as a test. The cubes are just for placement. I've been thinking about placement and trying to iron out some of the kinks. This composition is kind of working for me. I haven't decided. The cobblestone is low res and really rough at this point. I didn't want it to take forever to render

- cheers

shakes
04-03-2006, 06:23 AM
hey, great mini tut..don't know how I missed that one! very impressive! I like the composition..just the bent leg looks a bit funny at this angle, but I know it's just placement at this stage. good updates mate!

Paravalerium
04-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow, love those rats. Wonderful Zspheres!!
Good luck!

handlebar
04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Great progress. Just one question are you going to have the rats coming from all directions, with some large ones close to the camera, or in a single group following the piper down the cobbled street. Looking forward to the poseing tute, something i realy need to learn more about. Keep up the great work.

timeless3d
04-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for checking on me. I haven't given up, just gotten busy with classes. I've learned a LOT more about maya in the few weeks since my last journey post. I will get back to it soon.

Your stuff is looking great. It looks like you are going away from your earlier concept where the piper was further off near the horizon and the rats were more in the foreground heading away from the camera. I liked that concept. I'm sure whatever you decide will be brilliant.

Oh, and that tutorial you put together rocks!

Have you thought about including kids somewhere (perhaps in a window or something) to foreshadow the rest of the story?

Cleveland
04-05-2006, 03:07 AM
well, just here to give you encouragement. i like this comp too. interested to see how you fill it.

cleveland.

hobo
04-05-2006, 07:51 AM
The cobbles look well all together, seamless. But I would think about making the pavement/ sidewalk a little bit wider, only a very minor point.

a-papantoniou
04-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I just love to see how you utilize ZB (since you are posting on my thread you already know that I am addicted). Thanks for the workflows. This is coming together nicely.

oceanbluesky
04-10-2006, 04:02 AM
nice use of a starfield in the background...just a suggestion though, sometimes it pays to make such a starfield yourself by hand painting one in Photoshop (using slightly different off-white colors, straying from bright white alone) rather than just render from an image on a plane? Not sure if that is what you are doing but the stars might look a lot more clear and well defined if they were painted (rather than taken from a texture library or online source)...don't mean to be critical though, this is a very captivating scene...the wild flute instrument your piper is playing is EXCELLENT, very creative!

fer3d
04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I like how the piper is comming along and the street style.

Thank you for the stones tutorial. I just tried many of the tricks in Cinema 4d and it worked!

Thank you for that!

fer

JacquesPena
04-15-2006, 09:26 AM
1st off, thanks for doing the Cobblestone tutorial. Was fudging around with Maya as I was typing this and it helped. So you get credit for every time I do a cobblestone floor in maya. In fact I'll etch your name into a stone so people know. All and All good to your scene getting together. Good luck

Womgoose
04-15-2006, 10:26 AM
The composition works really well. Good job :)

maxter3d
04-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Nice idea, l like the sense of movement in the piper. Might be nice if we could see a bit more of his face though to get that sense of emotion. Good luck with the competition.

oceanbluesky
04-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Andrew!?!? I'm concerned -- or hopeful? Either you are working on something cool and haven't posted it yet, or...? Wondering what's up? Looking forward to seeing more...like your website (oh, maybe that's what you've been working on...very, very cool...like the new additions you've made...just as a suggestion, might drop the "site looks best if viewed on broadband" tag...it kind of clutters the page and distracts from your site's aesthetics...more, much more commentary on your freakishly cool site when this challenge is over -- really like it, and your galleries, looking forward to having the time to check it out more closely later.)

Anyhow, hope you keep posting...

Good luck.

se7enthcin
04-23-2006, 06:55 AM
shakes

Thank you and I agree. But it is early. :wip:

9mmParavalerium and a-papantoniou

Thank you I do love ZBrush :D

handlebar

The rats are going to be "everywhere." Not coming down the street but more "interested" in the piper.

timeless3d

Keep learning and thank you for stopping by!

Cleveland

Thank you kind sir!

hobo

I know. This last update was just a "test" I will post a better one soon as well as a larger update. I think I'm about due for one.

fer3d

You're welcome. I am glad that both you and soapy were able to use it in cinema 4d. It pleases me greatly!

Sleepinglion
FANTASTIC! I've never had my name in stone before :buttrock:

Womgoose

Thank you!

maxter3d

I understand the request for his face but I still believe that he needs to be mysterious.

oceanbluesky and everyone
First, I agree about the sky and yes, it will be painted in the final piece. Right now though, it is just a "rough." Secondly, I am concerned as well. I have been doing cool things but they have been for clients so not too much on the personal end. My students have been taking a bit of my time as well. I am coming up on a break between semesters and will try to finish this piece during that time. Third. I appreciate you visiting my website and taking your time to check all of it out. I will be updating my website soon as well with new stuff. I've got many projects that I am trying to finish currently on top of my client work. It is tough trying to balance freelance and me time. Thank you for being concerned.

centurionit
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Hi Andrew...I'm curious to see the alley full of mouse...and with the lights and shadow...Upgrade..upgrade...upgrade....keep it on...i like it....:thumbsup:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=330707

oceanbluesky
05-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Oh man, Andrew, we are holding out hope for more updates! Glad to hear though you are busy with freelancing and teaching. Look forward to seeing more....

Good luck!

Selina42
05-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Andrew!

So sorry i havent dropped by in ages- its been the same for me too- work to do! I really hope we both get this finished!

Obviously this gets two thumbs up from me and i hope that even if you cant finish it in time for the competition you'll finish i off when you have a chance anyway, as its a marvellously promising image! Good luck!

rasamaya
05-13-2006, 01:24 AM
You have to finish, this is one of my favorites. Either way, let us know even if it gets a backburner, a year later... would still be great to see. Thanks

Thank you for your advice on my thread.
I was gifted enough time to finish mine.
Check it out
But be sure to click parts of the image to zoom in to 100%(almost)
http://rasamaya.sitesled.com/main/index.html
Cheers

se7enthcin
05-15-2006, 09:53 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1147726431_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1147726431_large.jpg)

Again, sorry for the delay. I hope I can finish this in 12 days. I will do my best. I have some extra time and should be able to. We will see. Hopefully I will have another update later today or tomorrow. This is a general lighting test. These are low res models used for speed in rendering, they are not the final models.

Selina42
05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
WooHoo!

Glad to see youre back Andrew -and your test is looking very nice! I'm awaiting the conclusion of the piece very excitedly!

MT-Cup
05-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Oh yay, you're back! :applause:

Love the crazy angles of the buildings and street lights. I'm liking this test. :thumbsup:

se7enthcin
05-16-2006, 01:24 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1147739082_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1147739082_large.jpg)

Really quick update. I painted the sky. It is render friendly with an incandescence map. I'm pretty happy with where this is going.

barbapapa
05-16-2006, 01:37 AM
really interesting, your background is coming along really nicely keep up the good work .Looking forward to you final :bounce:

shakes
05-16-2006, 02:11 AM
good to see you back..nice composition! good luck with finishing.

antone-m
05-16-2006, 06:35 AM
cool update keep going u are doing great but faster faster

se7enthcin
05-17-2006, 07:23 AM
centurionit

I'm trying, believe me. I'm trying hard. I would like to finish this even if I don't make the deadline.

oceanbluesky, Selina42, shakes,and MT Cup

Thank you friends for your continued support even when I haven't been around as much as I would like.

rasamaya

You're welcome and I think it looks very cool. It gets the point across. Nice work.

barbapapa

Me too :thumbsup:

thebest

I'm moving as fast as I can. I'm trying, more updates to come!

Silgrin
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Excellent sky. The mood will be very strong! I love such atmospheres! Last night I saw something like this through my win:)

MT-Cup
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
The sky is perfect! Really sets the mood and should be an excellent backdrop to your main character. :thumbsup:

alvin-cgi
05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
wow, nice sky you got there... create great atmosphere.:)

The Journey Begins (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322760&highlight=alvin)
Spectacular 3D (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275950&highlight=alvin)

ravioli_rancher
05-21-2006, 03:57 AM
se7enthcin,

Freakin' terrific concept and layout. Your skull cloud is amazing. But, if you don't mind, what are you talking about when you mention an incandescent map? What software uses such trickery. I'm a caveman and can't fathom much beyond zBrush, so please use small words when explaining. :cry: :scream:

I've read through your challenge page and hope very much you finish this wicked scene. The concept alone is worth at least a CGTalk award. Top knotch work :buttrock: :applause: :eek: :)

Hopefully at least one of the rats is able to escape and bite that vicious flutist in the noogies, as rats make fine actors (Willard, Ben, Etc.), whereas wind instrumentalists are generally claudhopping cabbage stuffers. :shrug:

Anywhoo, awesome work. Please resume. :applause:

se7enthcin
05-21-2006, 05:25 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1148185534_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9702/9702_1148185534_large.jpg)

It's still not as smooth as I want it, you can still see some polygons in the foreground. there are a few things I still need to model but it's coming around. I really need to motor to get done in under 7 days. Wish me luck.

Womball
05-21-2006, 05:31 AM
This is really coming along nicely! The only area that reads kind of weak is the middle. Perhaps a light behind the middle house and a light behind the house to the right of it.