PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Matt Benya

KangarooMan
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Matt Benya is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9686)

Latest Update: Line Art: Line art WIP
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9686/9686_1141511275_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3304277#post3304277)

3dRaven
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Best of luck Matt :thumbsup:

Start scrubbin those paintbrushes and show us your progress :D

KangarooMan
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9686/9686_1141154712_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9686/9686_1141154712_large.jpg)

Greetings everyone,

Well here is my second thought for the 2D challenge. After going over the rules again I realized that my initial idea of a space shuttle really did not fit into the challenge theme/rules. So that is why I went with a prisoner beginning his big journey from prison. :P Thanks for looking.

Matt :)

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 07:26 PM
nice idea dude :thumbsup:

KangarooMan
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
3dRaven: Lol, that is the beautiful thing about digital paint brushes, you never have to clean them. I don't think I have cleaned a paint brush for at least five years. I still sharpen pencils though. :P Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement Gregory! :D

Squibbit: Hey thanks a lot, that is good to hear! :D

Lync
03-01-2006, 01:38 AM
great idea! And you already have a start on it! woot!

Best of luck with it Matt :)

Gord-MacDonald
03-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Good idea - Good Luck!

Gord

OniricCreative
03-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I like the idea!! good luck!! :)

umbrellasky
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi! My best wishes to you in the challenge, looking good so far! :thumbsup:

KangarooMan
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Lync: Hey again Lynda thank you very much for your support! Much appreciated.

Gord MacDonald: Thanks a lot!

Loris_: Yeah I wanted to go for something on the funny side, I am glad to hear that you like it.

enialadam: Hey thank you very much!

Thanks again everybody! :D

Matt

DeeVad
03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi ! the idea of "journey and prison" is really original, I 'm curious of how will evolve your illustration . Great start on a solid composition:thumbsup:

KangarooMan
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey David, thank you very much I am really happy to hear that! :D Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Pawlack
03-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Really nice Idea. I agree with others. looking good so far ;)

good luck

KangarooMan
03-04-2006, 10:27 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9686/9686_1141511275_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9686/9686_1141511275_large.jpg)

Greetings,

Well I started to go over the image and do the line art. My next step is to finalize an idea for the prison. I need to do some more research and come up with something more interesting that the typical drab buildings. Also I have a question for you. What do you think of the chain link fence? From what you see now does it clutter up the image too much? Especially when the prison is behind it. Should I go with something more like in the concept sketch where there is only a hint of it here and there? Any feedback on that area of the image would be most appreciated. :)

Matt

KangarooMan
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Pawlack: Hi there, thank you very much for stopping by and commenting, much appreciated! :D

MVDB
03-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey!
don't forget those barbwires on the fence. ;)
I'd go for some sort of high prison tower.. churchlike? dunno

keep it up, looks good.

Pawlack
03-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Amazing upgrate. Is that moon in top left corner? If yes - it is night. If it is night, this plane will not be visible exept 3 light spots :) Keep up the good work ;)

KangarooMan
03-04-2006, 11:04 PM
MichaelMotion: Hey Michael, yeah the barbwire is still coming. :) The church like look to the towers is a good idea, thanks a lot! I was also looking at Alcatraz for some inspiration, okay the setting doesn't work but there were some interesting looking buildings there. :)

Pawlack: Hey thanks a lot for the C&C, good call on the plane. :D I wanted to put something along the sky in that area and I didn't really think of it like that with the night time. But as soon as you said that I did one of these -> :banghead:

Thanks again guys for your input!

beelow
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I hope to see some good expression of the escaped convict, maybe have him looking back. like damn! Or maybe u can make this image to where u can include the viewer in the painting like we are with the escaped convict, and we are helping him escape! A hand extending out may do and have officers running towards the gate, that would be cool, good lucnk n e ways dude!:thumbsup:

artvandeley
03-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Love the idea,Matt.
Hm, shouldn´t there be more space to look at in the direction he looks?
Or to put it the other way ´round: wouldn´t it be better to flip the composition somehow?

I don´t know myself but i somehow like the idea of visualizing the new freedom he has got.

OniricCreative
03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey matt. Good lineart there. I'll agree with beelow for the expression. Maybe he is in a rush or looking back cause the officers are after him. I prefer the fence to be like in the concept sketch. And wouldn't be a hole on the fence where he got out of? I would also like to see more of the background to show more depth in the composition. I like the moon and looking forward to see how the prison will look like. Keep up!! :thumbsup:

KangarooMan
03-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I worked further on my 3D submission the other day so I didn't have a chance to update this one.

beelow: Hey Bryce, you're absolutely right about the expression on his face. I was in the beginning thinking of making the escaped convict into a stoic Clint Eastwood type of figure and to me it seemed like he should be looking sort of calm. Thanks a lot for input man, much appreciated! :D

artvandeley: Hey Torsten thank you very much for stopping by and sharing your C&C! :D I really wanted to show where he was coming from and let the viewer imagine where his new found freedom will lead him. Hopefully not back to where he started. :P

Loris_: Thanks a lot Loris, I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :D I really like the idea of him looking back over his shoulder. I am thinking now of redoing his position and have him look over his right shoulder while he uses his left hand to push himself further out of the hole. I haven't added in the prison buildings yet and as beelow suggested I might add some guards behind him. He actually dug his way out of prison with the spoon in his right-hand. Can you read that out of the image?

Thanks again for the helpful insight guys, I've really enjoyed hearing your thoughts. :beer:

Lync
03-09-2006, 01:05 AM
The lineart isn't too clear that he dug his way out of the prison with a spoon. I think looking behind him would really bring out more of a feeling of anxiety in the prisoner which would be cool.

Also, I really like your line art. So clean and crisp! :)

Screenblind
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Very nice line-art and the basis of an excellent idea. I don't know how you're going to resolve the requirement of showing the journey ahead from that angle, but shall keep popping back to check :D

I think the escapees expression could use some experimentation - perhaps he is suddenly very apprehensive about his new-found freedom? and would actually like to return to the uniform comfort of incarceration?

Maybe he tunnels up on the wrong side of the fence?

In any case - good luck

anzibon
03-28-2006, 12:36 AM
steve mcqueen is breaking out of prison, again??

i actually really like the chainlink. it sets of your convict against the bg. only thing is that i didn't initially get that he was breaking out of prison. maybe more of a climbing out of a hole pose (more effort) and some anxiety in the face.

and that's no prison fence. they are tall and covered in razor wire that looks really nasty. you may wind up considering a tall format for showing the size of the fense and towers and getting some searchlight action.

great concept, mate,
hope you're having fun,
~B

KangarooMan
03-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Lync: Hey there Lynda, sorry for the late reply. I have actually worked further on the line art and as you suggested he is looking over his shoulder. I also added a prison guard behind the fence. I will try to take some time and post those updates in the near future. Thanks a lot for the C&C.

Avatarist: Thanks a lot for coming and stopping by Ben! From what I've read in the rules the point of view doesn't need to be directed toward the journey's start. But I had been thinking about it and I think I want the image to be circular. He always tries to break out of prison and he always ends up back where he started. The age will play a role in this in the final story. ;) Thanks again!

anzibon: Yeah, I have made an effort to emphasize that more in my update version. My initial idea was to have some cool character climbing out of the hole, and just as he gets out he stops to just look out at his new found freedom. Steve McQueen isn't far off, I wanted a Clint Eastwood type character like in "Escape from Alcatraz". The razor wire is still coming as is the actual prison. Thanks again for the C&C Brian!

Thank you very much everybody for taking the time to come and check out my entry! :D

blakbird
03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Great idea. You must give the scene with a very interesting point of view though.

KangarooMan
03-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey Levent, thanks a lot for stopping by man! :wavey: For me personally I find the view down close to the ground pretty interesting. Maybe you'll find it more interesting when I have the other elements in place. Thanks again! :D

soapy
03-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Great drawing so far. The hole he is emerging from might be a little bigger perhaps? I personally like the chainlink fence. What is the big ball up in the sky?

KangarooMan
04-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey James, thanks a lot for stopping by and checking out my 2D challenge! :wavey: For the hole I wanted it to give the illusion of a hole that started with the convict pushing his hand through first and so on, this way the hole would only be as large as he is. Oh and the big ball is the moon. :D

FlaminGlow
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Matt, great work you did with the sketch and line art, i think you will have a very interesting sky and moon i realy would love to color them hehehaha.

thanx for checking my 2d.

originaly posted by Matt,
It is great to see so many people going 5D this challenge; best of luck to you on both your 3D and 2D entries! They both look great! :buttrock:

thanx to you too.:thumbsup:

KangarooMan
04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi there Mohammed, thanks a lot for checking out my 2D entry as well. I really appreciate you taking the time to stop in!

very interesting sky and moon i realy would love to color them hehehaha.

Yeah me too, I hope I am getting closer to the end of the 3D one so that I can move on with this here. :D

FlaminGlow
05-22-2006, 05:59 AM
hey Matt, you have to hurry up man or you will miss this one, :sad:

anzibon
05-29-2006, 12:58 AM
sorry you weren't able to get back to this. hope you get to finish it in your own time. i look forward to seeing the final on the front page. :thumbsup:

l8r
~B

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2006, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.