PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ailsa MacPherson

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Ailsa MacPherson is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9654)

Latest Update: Final Image: Tales From Off The Path
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1148558255_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3577923#post3577923)

Rebeccak
02-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Go Elsie!!! :bounce:

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:27 AM
:scream: My god woman, I hadn't even followed the creation thread to my own page and you've replied :bowdown: You really are the posting champion! Thank you for the good luck wishes ^^ Hope everyone has a good one!

Whee, now to start doodling...I have a vague idea...expect illegible scribbles in a couple of hours ;)

makaron
02-28-2006, 08:27 AM
http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/smile/bbbb.jpg
good luck on your journey...
wheeeeps of fun too...

beelow
02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey, elsie, good luck!:thumbsup:

Llynna
02-28-2006, 08:42 AM
yay! there she is :D theresa and me missed you this night ;P. as usual we where a bunch of sleepless people and entered just as they set it up.

we will rock the world cause we are the best :bounce: at least we can try *g*. get your ideas flowing and some sketches done. i nearly finished my essay so i will go sketching soon.

laters :)

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Good Luck Ailsa!

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Mona: *Wheeps* this for sure will be a lot of fun! :D

Beelow: Thank you ^^, same to you!

Britta: Hehe, that is typical you know, I woke up at the EXACT time this challenge was announce *sniffles* but my head hurt and I have a sore throat and runny nose (on challenge day, also typical!) so I just lay in bed feeling sorry for myself. Gots myself an idea *taps nose* we will all see shortly...

Jonny: Many thanks :)!

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 08:56 AM
rock it lil lady

Lemog
02-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Best wishes with this new challenge Ailsa :thumbsup:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey Ailsa! Wecome....I can't wait to see this one turn out. We can hang out in each other's thread and discuss current events. :D We can be 'thread friends'....

Good luck and have fun!
:bounce:

Mu
02-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Ailsa!

aaaaaaand another must-follow-thread for me! May you well over with ideas!

We can hang out in each other's thread and discuss current events. :D We can be 'thread friends'....

Gosh that sounds like fun... :)

Elsie
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Squib: Many thanks Panu :)

Lemog: Thank you Mogsie *hugs* I looked for your challenge thread but I can't find it! Where is it? Huh? Huh??? :D

Therry: Of course we will be ^^ you're part of mine and Britta's Challenge Crew *hands Therry a sailor hat and tries to think of a sailor phrase* Man the...er.l.Stern! Starboard! Land, ho! Hehe, no doubt this challenge will be awesome fun.

Mr. Mu: Thank you honey ^^ shall try not to disappoint!

1000 posts! Yeah, go me! (it just had to be in my own thread so I could let off this exuberance* Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

MVDB
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Good luck Elsie!
Can't wait to see what you come up with!.. Have fun.. :bounce:

Zapan
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Wheeee heee !

Finally a french corner over here ! Go Ailsa ,

Have a lots of fun and best of luck !

cheers,

-Scar~Go ... ^^

urgaffel
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Yay my baby is on it :D http://www.urgaffel.com/images/insane.gif:love: (subscribing)

erilaz
02-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Whee! Kickassness is on it's way in the form of a small brit-shaped missle of impending painty doom! Fear the brainmeats of da Wolfie child. ROAR!

Lemog
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
looked for your challenge thread but I can't find it! Where is it? Huh? Huh??? :D
:cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :shrug: mmmmh... no lemog this time... I'm a little bit sad...

3dRaven
02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey Elsie, time to open up a few cans of paint :D

Best of luck in splashing those colours into another masterpiece. Time to start rockin :buttrock:

Ego
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey werewolf? I had been looking for your page. Go forth and draw. I shall follow you :D

Elsie
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
MichaelMotion: Thank you :D likewise, am looking forward to seeing what transpires in your thread!

Steph: Mais oui! Bonne chance ā vous aussi, mon petit escargot :D

Peter: Buahaha, interesting combination of smileys there *poke* :D

Martin: I seriously just choked on my juice :scream: :scream: :scream: that's your best...er...analogy of me yet :P I had to take the last one out of my sig to fit in my challenge link, now I am sad! Best of luck to you too ^^

Lemog: :cry: Nooooo *hugs* now who will commandeer us?

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6936/bonanza3qu7rb.jpg

Greg: Thank you very much Greg :D what would I ever do without all your wonderful crits? Though to create another masterpiece I would have had to create one in the first place :p let's rock it!

Queenie: Thankee honey *hugs* this challenge is going to be heaps of fun (am drawing at this very moment, expect a thingy in the next hour!)

Elsie
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141123452_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141123452_large.jpg)

Well, a quick two hour doodle - I'm not too sure if this is a little too generic and any-excuse-to-draw-a-pretty-lady; the concept is a beautiful, devilish spirit who haunts lonely roads and lures travellers off the road and into hell...

------------------------------

For those of you who aren't used to my weird inverse way of sketching, I inverted it for you :D

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1005/ver001c9pm.jpg

jmBoekestein
02-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Nice sketch Elsie, Good luck on the challenge, gunna be fun. :D

Go gets yah some. :applause:

sergioKomic
02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Go Elsie go!:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
yeah~thats a great one elsie~most of u guys have started and so quick that makes me nervous~gotta think of something now:scream:

Elsie
02-28-2006, 01:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141133494_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141133494_large.jpg)

Apologies for the quickness - too many ideas, too much excitement :p! Three hours I think. Just a very loose idea for features and skintones etc. I'm going to write up my concept now and post it :)

JM: Thank you hon ;) this challenge is going to be heaps of fun, methinks!

Sergio: Many thanks :D I've never painted so fast in my life hehe...

Michael: Thanks a lot ^^, I know that your entry is going to be fabulous Michael, no sweat :thumbsup:

beelow
02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Nice sketches elsie! Keep enm coming!:thumbsup:

Zapan
02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Dang you're going like a fireball !!

That face is really cool , your paintings skills are really impressive , gosh !!

looking forward for your next update , which comes any minute now :scream: !!

cheers ,

-Scar~Go ^^

W-I-L
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
nice start elsie.. good luck.

Elsie
02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Beelow: Cheers Bryce :D

Zapan: ROFL, you were right, I was posting this whilst you were typing! Thank you for the compliments :)

W!L: Thank you, good to see you here again! Your support last challenge was much appreciated :D

Just for fun, overlayed the facial features concept with the line art, gives a good feeling for the direction I'm hoping to go in with the picture - the end result is going to be much taller, big long trees in the opening of a forest, path leading into the distance, fiery crackings opening up in the ground...c'mon brain, wacom...work with me here...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/295/experiment4ki.jpg

Icarus
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Elise, Looking awsome, love the sketches, best of luck with the challenge :D

subscribed.

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
weeeeeeeee . u are fast ailsa :D good luck with the challenge puss o kram !

Matellis
02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey!! good to see you here and already a sweet sketch :)
keep them coming
and have fun ;)

Lemog
02-28-2006, 05:18 PM
That's start stronger here... as I can see... you don't need commander :scream: hahahaha

:thumbsup:

Already fascinating :bounce:

umbrellasky
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey Elsie looking good! woot! This challenge looks like so much fun. Good luck with your entry! :bounce:

NinjaA55N
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I wish a good luck and lots of creative energy to all of my buddies from previous challenges :D Dont be mad coz I'll post the same first reply to all of u, but wishes r sincere.. I just wanna to sign up to ur thread. Once again best of luck!

AkaKico
02-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Good luck Ailsa! Great work already! You're fast :D

Elsie
02-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys :) Written my concept, now just have to type it up and post it, but figured I'd reply to these first. Beh, my head feels like its about to split in two, my nose is running and my throat is all scratchy :cry: I would get sick today...no more painting tonight at least :sad: am sitting in bed writing this heh.

Tyr: Thankee ^^ you and Martin have been a great help in the IRC, heh.

Janni: Thank you hon, puss o kram!

Matt: Cheers mate - I couldn't resist getting to work right away ^^ Have a good one yourself!

Mogsie: Hehe, thank you ^^ though it will be strange not having a 200+ page thread of craziness...oh wait...*eyes Kimchee*

Madalaine: Thank you very much :) I'm sure the challenge will be a blast!

NinjaASSN: Thank you for the good luck wishes ^^

Kico: Yeah I've been sketching like a loony hehe, glad you like! Thank you :)

Elsie
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Concept: The Journey Begins

Inspirations:

Dante's Inferno (Book):At the beginning of the famous book, Dante finds himself in the middle of a forest, strayed off the path and too tired to recall how he had come to be there - and nearly finds himself mauled by a lion (it was a lion, wasn't it?) before he is rescued by Virgile, and the tumultous travel through hell, purgatory and heaven ensues. Got me thinking of just what happens when you stray off the path...

Lord of the Rings (Book):"You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."(Quote provided on inspiration page for challenge). This got me thinking about not only straying off the path itself, but devilish wicked beings that for some reason would WANT you to stray off the path...

Giselle (Ballet):Giselle was one of my favourite ballets as a ballerina, and one of the main parts of the story were the 'Wilis' - souls of women that had been betrayed by the men that they loved, and now enticed men to dance to their deaths in revenge.

Meiko Kaji (Music):The music of Meiko Kaji is so beautifully elegant and brings so many images to my mind of classical Japan and oriental myths - which coupled with her sorrowful and often slightly acerbic lyrics about how men have screwed her over produce a slightly bizarre effect that I fell instantly in love with. A lot of the future images that I have in mind are inspired by Meiko Kaji.

There was another one but I, er, forgot it :)

-------------------------------------

Concept:

He walked along the tired, empthy pathway, his worn sandals scuffing up the dust and dirt that was settled there. His feet were starting to ache, and his vision getting bleary; the scene around him waved and wiggled as through the air when looking into the distance on a hot day.

A secluded forest was up ahead, and as dusk started to descend upon him he decided that it would be a good place to settle for the night. He slung off his backpack, and looking up again, saw a creature that made him gawp.

She was a spirit of some kind - pure energy, formed from the bitterness and sorrow of women scorned by their lovers. Here by the forest she would wait for a weary traveller to come by, and entice him away on a long and cruel journey to win her love - a journey impossible for a mere mortal, which would kill him before he could complete it.

As he stared at her, he felt the importance of his journey melt away into the back of his mind, his tiredness lift a little, and he took a step towards the creature...

nebezial
02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
goin strong from the beggining, i like the character and the concept:thumbsup:

Gord-MacDonald
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Cool start!
Go Elsie Go! :thumbsup:

Gord

erilaz
03-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Arrr! She be on fire! Avast!
Don't get sick now! You've only just started!

Agamemnwn
03-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Goodmorning Elsie Elsie Flexie :D ,,

I love the story . It takes u there to see the man and the spirit :D greatness :D go elsie go elsie

Lemog
03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Very good story... with these inspirations... we already have a good idea about the mood and atmosphere... this composition can be great... all good recipes to obtain an interesting and strong masterpiece... can't wait the real first sketches :thumbsup:

Ego
03-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Very strong story behind your concept. Go for it lady! :thumbsup:

MVDB
03-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Good character you've got there.
waiting for a further stage..
Well thought-out concept, love it.. promissing.. :thumbsup:

Elsie
03-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Good morning all :). Thankfully I feel a little better this morning after being repeatedly sick all night and other pleasantaries...maybe am allergic to challenges? Anyway I will hopefully get a concept sketch done of either some of the ravens that will be circling into the sky around her (I'm not sure whether to do ravens or vultures...ravens are much prettier but vultures feel more appropriate :shrug:) or of the fan, which I have some cool design ideas for.

By the way, she's not going to be naked in the piece, just as I have no reference at all for the type of clothing I want to draw on her I figured I'll have to build up her form and wing it!

Nebz: Thank you Nebz, I was a little worried that it was slightly OT or 'another pretty girl', but I'm really into this character at the moment ^^

Gord: Many thanks :)

Martin: Arrrrrr, ahoy matey! The head be clearer this fine mornin', so to sketch am I!

Janni: Thank you Janni Janni Bananni. I wanted to do something last night, and while I was too ill to paint, apparently I was well enough to spew out a mini story hehe.

Mogsie: Thanks Lolo ^^ I've been trying to think about some subtle symbolism that I can incorporate into the scene, so if anyone has any ideas about things that would fit in well here, give me a shout!

Queenie: Wheep, thank you :D

MichaelMotion: Thank you very much :) I'm trying my best to be..er...methodical, and think everything out before I do it hehe. I'm pleasantly finding it's actually making my process much less stressful and manic ^^.

seccad
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
good luck mate

paperclip
03-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Ailsa, hey!

*hands ailsa a cup of coffee*
So...how are things? It looks like your challenge is coming along splendidly, I like the ideas of her being surrounded by ravens...very much a bird of death, remember achilles had a raven perch on him as he died.. and if they're prettier, go with them!
I really like your concept, I would make the woman a little more evil looking though, right now she looks tooo innocent to hurt anyone. Maybe make the evil come out in a little, subtle way that just cries out 'evil!' but sort of hidden away, so that the traveller won't see it when he comes along. Not a 666 scar, but you get the general idea.

Elsie
03-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Seccad: Thank you :)

Therry: Ah coffee, lovely ^^. Things are pretty good, feel all refreshed and ready to go again this morning hehe.

Thats a good point about the ravens...vultures seemed a little more...I don't know, evil to me hehe, but as long as there is sufficient symbolism with the ravens I'd rather go with them! I was also thinking of Edgar Allen Poe with the raven.

About her evilness...true what you said, she did turn out a little more 'suprised' looking than I had intended - I haven't done her eyebrows yet which should make her look a little more evil, if not then I'll be tweaking some of the facial features until she looks right :D. Personally, I don't think of her as actually 'evil' though - she's driven by disappointment and being broken hearted, and the petty need for revenge - I think there's something a little sorrowful there - but maybe that's just me hehe, what do you guys think?

Gunilla
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Elsie! And Wow! You're off to a flying start! Looking real good so far, lycka till! :)

urgaffel
03-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, sounds about right. She isn't inherently evil, just not very nice ^^ Awesome concept my darling, will be a lot of fun to see how you tackle this one :D :love:

TheFirstAngel
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
arrrrrrrrrrr thats far from being funny, jumpy u. I wanted to take it easy and show up with a shodly sketch in a feww mins to discover this now. ermmmmm, wowies, buttrockin headstart, cutie, i guess i'm better off to squeeze my wacom again :P cant take it. lol. hold the pace Elsie, rock on! :wip:

Elsie
03-01-2006, 11:41 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141213289_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141213289_large.jpg)

Just trying to feel out the background with a composite of the concept sketches (only spent about 15 minutes scribbling so far, please don't think the finished result will look anything like this!). Her arms are much too thin and I will be correcting this when I do some more work on her body before adding clothes :) Argh, it's looking like such a mess at the moment :cry:

The ravens are proving rather tricky to draw as I've never done them before, I'll upload a few of my practise sketches later today. Probably will start designing the fan tomorrow!

Elsie
03-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Gunnie: Thank you very much :D

Peter: Thanks honey, I have just about as much idea as to how I'm going to tackle this as you all do hehe, no doubt it will be a great learning process if nothing else!

Sacha: Hehe, what, no sketches from you yet? Chop chop! Hop to it! There's no taking it easy in this game, *rawr*. Thanks for the compliments hon ^^

MVDB
03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Hey Elsie!
In such an early stage, guess noone is realy looking at the arms of being to thin. You totaly don't need to make those excuses.. Keep it up. Looking good.. ;)

W-I-L
03-01-2006, 12:33 PM
th\ts scary... make it stop !...

you have captured what you are going for i think.. she gives me the hibby jeebbys.. although her pose looks like she is either a siler service waitress or eye candy on a game show showing off the prizes that could be won.. sorry's but it does look very posed in my opinion. excellent colouring thus far.. communist red is nice choice

Miyagu
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
hi elsie! welcome! this is a beautiful start - i love her face! :)
*listens to the flower of carnage* :love:

Llynna
03-01-2006, 08:43 PM
hey hey :)

i really like her facials, they look really elf like and beautiful in a more non human way.

as i already told you today, theres something off on the anatomy of the arms and i know you are working on that :)

im curious where you want to put the ravens in, but i love ravens so they are good anyway.

hopefully we will see an update soon :)

Lemog
03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Always a strange fascination... certainly a good point... more is needed :bounce:

Elsie
03-02-2006, 01:21 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141305715_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141305715_large.jpg)

Gosh, I'm embarrased to post this one >_< Just been blocking out some of the body shape so that I can start painting the dress on top of it (I'm aware the quickly done skin looks like trash hehe, I'm going to totally paintover the parts that will be visible).

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll reply to you all individually after I've finished my lunch :) Much love to you all!

paperclip
03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I love the skin tones, but the stomach/torso area looks a little....weird.. Did you use ref?

I really like the upper thigh though, it looks good! (like the rest of the pic) Keep going!

slickgreekgeo
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Looking good

Elsie
03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
MichaelMotion: Thank You Michael - hehe, you are right...though I'm a rather paraniod artist >_< I get terribly nervous whenever I post anything at all!

W!L: Hi there :) What can I say, I'm a scary gal! Buahaha...with regards to the pose, you are right heh, what I was going for was more of a "Well, here it is!" type thing...though on second thought I may change it...hmm...

Benita: Thank you so much, great to see you here Benita :) I adore your art.

Britta: Arrr, how be you this fine day shipmate? The ravens I'm planning to put just to the right of her, slowly circling up into the sky - and maybe some silhouttes in the background flying through the trees, when I get that part sorted. I've padded her arms out a little now - any better?

Lemog: Moooore boy, you ask for more? Your wish is my command ;)

Therry: Hey hon, you're right about that torso...*sigh* the whole thing is off, since I didn't really put any lighting into it, just trying to get the form down - I did loosely use a lighting ref that I think either Sacha and JM gave me a while ago:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7986/122005ref9fh.jpg

George: Thank you kindly :)

Llynna
03-02-2006, 03:15 PM
hm......... its a bit better but not really perfect. so dont think im nitpicking or so, i just want you to do you best and i know you can do it :)

i think you got an overall volume problem somehow with this one. or should i rather say a muscle problem. the proportions are about right now, interesting, a bit nonhuman adding something to her face. the problem ist that her bodyparts lok a bit like geometrical object spheres or so. they are lacking the muscels under the skin. i had a similar problem at the beginning with churchie, so i just painted the muscel strainds in, will send you a pic on msn so you can see what i mean. basically just paint them in on a new layer and then carefully begin to build you volumes with it and voila you got a nice and consistent looking body shape.

also you might want to go for a bit more atmospheric lightning before you proceed further. i tend to make this mistake too, but it just makes hughe problems to skip the overall lightning to last. i would do something more extreme to create some atmosphere. like some light from the buttom, illuminating her face and body in a bit more mistery and scary way.

you know, i dont want to be harsh hon :). just wanted to give some critiq you can work with. do it, i know you can :) :thumbsup:

sergioKomic
03-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Nice going Elsie!

Lemog
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
hm......... its a bit better but not really perfect...
I know that can appear strange... but I'm sure that my fascination for her comes of that... human and in the same time unhuman... difficult to explain my feeling... as a kind of decay with the reality... :shrug:

W-I-L
03-02-2006, 05:43 PM
actually elsie i take it back.. now that you ahve painted more i dunno.. i really liek it.. as Llynna said it does look somewhat geometric but there is some attraction to the style you have going on there (intntional or not).. all in all i am loving how this is shaping up... i think it will look really good and will be stalking you from now on.and pose works with the style ... so ultimatly upto you but keep it coming.

marcoracer
03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Some people.... any excuse to draw a naked woman. :surprised

I kid... Lovely so far.

Elsie
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Britta: Ah hon, you needn't be nervous about sounding harsh or offending me in anyway - I take crits generally a lot more easily than I take compliments! I see what you mean now about the muscles...although since the dress will be covering up most of her, I may aswell leave her for the moment until I've blocked out the dress then correct it - great suggestion though.

I had the same worries as you over the lighting - I'm blocking in some more of the background at the moment to try and give a better feel of what I'm going for (light coming from the path in the distance, some slight slight shooting up from cracks in the ground...etc. Don't worry, in the end I plan to make it very drastic lighting, just its my way to stay pretty neutral until everythings in place first. Thank you for the great advice ^^ I'll do my best not to let you down girl!

Sergio: Thankee :D I saw your fly-in-the-digestion sketch ealier - gave me a good laugh over my toast (which I instantly checked for flies).

Lemog: Bwe he, I'm glad you think she's fascinating in some way ^^ I was thinking more about pulling her further away from being human...how would everyone feel about freakily long, thin fingers? :D

W!L: Woot, I always wanted a stalker :D! Hehe kidding, but that's great to know you like the pose...I guess I'll see how it fits in with the rest of the pic once I've shaped it up some, I've still got three months thankfully!

Marcoracer: Ah, but she won't be naked in the final piece ;) I'm just too lazy to draw the dress as of yet. Thank you ^^!

Update either a little later tonight or tomorrow morning guys!

makaron
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
how would everyone feel about freakily long, thin fingers? :D

sounds like a good idea. please do that and show us :)

Lemog
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
very thin and very long of course... :twisted:

Agamemnwn
03-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Goodmorning elsie elsie flexie :D , great job so far i like the skin tones and about the long fingers i think it will go nice with her ears like that :D puss o kram :D have a good day

Elsie
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Good morning my little bumblebees! :)

Mona: In that case I will do :D 30 minutes people!

Lemog: Veeeeery long and veeeeery thin? Like toothpicks on steriods? Mwe he he...

Janni: Morning Jannaay ;) Thank you, that was my thought about the fingers and ears going well together - hopefully we are right! Puss o kram, you have a good day too hon!

storyForge
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
hey :) I really like the mood of this image so far. i think the shoulders and hips may be a bit to wide in comparison to the limbs though. whats going to be going on in the background? seems like a very balanced comp so far too! cant wait to see whats next

urgaffel
03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Wee more updates :) I look forward to the long thin fingers and the atmosphere update and see how Brittas suggestions will work out. Keep it up honey :love:

makaron
03-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Good morning my little bumblebees! :)

Mona: In that case I will do :D 30 minutes people!

Lemog: Veeeeery long and veeeeery thin? Like toothpicks on steriods? Mwe he he...

setting my alarmclock and waiting... :bounce: while Iīm thinking about how those toothpicks on steriods gonna look like... :p

Elsie
03-03-2006, 10:14 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141380848_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141380848_large.jpg)

Well here we go...what go you think? I made her hands look awfully big O_o not nearly as creepy and graceful as I intend to - but you get the idea!

Also feeling out the background a little more...getting things in place. Maaaaassive hugs to Martin (erilaz) and Greg (3dRaven) for finding me some great references for the forest floor...its going to be reeeealy tricky once I get started.

Ego
03-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Amazing that you have come this far in only a few days. Imagine what you can do in 3 months. Sweet progress. I always envy people who can work fast and sweet.

erilaz
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Nice going wolfie! i still think something doesn't feel right about the body shape, but the colours are wonderful.

makaron
03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
thatīs what I call fingers... :bounce: gonna be a great add to her...

Zapan
03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Ailsa !

Some awesome progress here , your painting skills always make me drool on my keyboard
*sweeps the desk ... eww* :applause:

cheers ,

-Steph

Lemog
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks... it's really near of my thoughts... maybe with fingers less parallels... more like jellyfish arms... :)

Elsie
03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I am such a dingbat. I had the perfect Hegre reference for this pose sitting on my harddrive the whole time! I'd post it but it's a little erotic for imageshack and will likely get removed *sigh* I need to get some money together to sort out my hosting, heh.

StoryForge: Thank you very much :). I see what you mean about the hips and the shoulders - being a pretty wide-hipped person myself, I have a subconscious tendency to liken my drawings to what is familiar - I've changed the pose slightly now after finding that picture, and hopefully it looks a little better? I may still have to slim her down a bit though I guess!

Thanks for your compliments on the composition so far :) I'm trying to get that tree right by her head to draw the attention to her, and once the hairs in that should take care of the vertical eyepull (hehe, I just made that word up to sound as if I know jack about composition!) too.

Theres going to be lots of fun stuff in the background ^^, mulchy leaves (possibly with a few rodents, snakes etc poking out), rather sinister looking flowers, ravens flocking through the trees, and a big shining light coming from the currently non-existant pathway into the trees which she will lead him. Well, in theory anyway, some of the stuff may not work and I may get some great suggestions to incorporate stuff!

Peter: Thank you darling. I've yet to really incorporates Britta's suggestions with the muscles and lighting as I have a bit more to do on the general blocking out of the piece before I go into that much detail - but I have no doubt they will help the final result greatly ^^.

Mona: Hehe, I'm a bad person...I actually had it done in like ten minutes, but then I got swept away on this love affair with a pot noodle and posted it after nearly an hour ^^ bad me!

Ego: Thank you Queenie ^^ I'm painting pretty fast lately, though I seem to get 'stuck' on certain areas, hehe. I'm really enthusiastic about this piece...got a really weird hatemail the other day telling me I was basically a fraud hiding under a load of master copies and couldn't paint anything original to save my life O_o lol, so I best get to work! The whole point of my master copies was to learn techniques to help with my original work so...dum di dum...

Martin: Thanks hon, I saw what you meant about the body still not feeling right - I tried breaking it into circles and sticks etc and realised it didn't work - there was no tilt to the hips. So now I've tried to fix that and hopefully it looks a bit better? (I'll post the update in a sec).

Mona: Yeah, imagine the boogers she could pick out of her nose with those...haha sorry, I'm so gross!

Steph: Bwe hehe, that's very flattering hon ^^ I am still very much a beginner though...must be coming up to two years I have been painting digitally heh. I think that I've come a long way this last year, though I'm still far from satisfied with my pictures heh, the thing that keeps me painting is the thought that I'll be much better next year! Thanks so much for the support :)

Lolo: Whee, okay I've tried making them less parallell in my next update (which I will post in a few secs) is this what you had in mind, or even more...er...wobbly? :D

W-I-L
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
wow.. that really adds to it... FFFFRREEEACKAAAAAAAY

Elsie
03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141392483_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141392483_large.jpg)

Right, this is the edited pose I mentioned above, trying to get it to 'work'!. It's hard to tell with scrolling but the hips are actually quite drastically different hehe! I promise!

Just want to say big hugs to you all - honestly it really means a lot to me that you all put up with my silly pictures and encourage me and help me ^^ *gets all soppy* I love all you guys :D!

Agamemnwn
03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
not silly very inspirational and hard work behind them . go elsie go elsie :D

edit. i love the long fingers now . she is comming along great :D

Lemog
03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes... like that is better... about length... it's certainly enough... depend about the rest in fact... for the moment, it's really visible but discret... good point... just need to know if this feeling will be always here when will grow up the composition, with more details...

makaron
03-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah, imagine the boogers she could pick out of her nose with those...haha sorry, I'm so gross!

I wonder then, what that leaves me... I ROFL over that comment... :blush:
and those fingers gives her a kind of grace that goes well with the rest of her :)

paperclip
03-03-2006, 03:26 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141392483_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141392483_large.jpg)

Right, this is the edited pose I mentioned above, trying to get it to 'work'!. It's hard to tell with scrolling but the hips are actually quite drastically different hehe! I promise!

Just want to say big hugs to you all - honestly it really means a lot to me that you all put up with my silly pictures and encourage me and help me ^^ *gets all soppy* I love all you guys :D!

You know what...I don't think legs normally can go into that pose... try it in front of a mirror. It's stretching, but maybe that's the look you're going for- unreal!

umbrellasky
03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey Ailsa! This is looking wonderful, I love her hands. Great work!

Elsie
03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
G'morning one and all, once again :)

Don't know if I'll have an update today, since I finally bought me some webspace from Queenie (she is now officially my server mommy!) and want to work a little on my website. When I finally get it up, it will be at http://www.ailsamacpherson.com :D fun fun...

W!L: Thank you, I am rather pleased with how the hands turned out!

Janni: Hehe, well, there is a lot of hard work yes >_< but the fun kind! Thank you hon :)

Lolo: I hope it will! I'm looking forward to adding some more to the composition...argh...why is art so slooow...

Mona: Thank you hon :D and it just means we have similar minds :P and "great minds think alike!" of course!

Therry: Ack, you're right! It is technically possible, but very unnatural and pinched...hmph...now I'm not sure what to do hehe. Do you think I should change it, or it's not so bad that I can't leave it be for the time being?

Madalaine: Thank you very much :) I just realised that your username is your name backwards! How slow am I haha, only took me a year!

paperclip
03-04-2006, 10:15 AM
You could always rotate the lower leg and turn the foot out into a classic ballet pose. :D

Ego
03-04-2006, 10:20 AM
G'morning one and all, once again :)

Don't know if I'll have an update today, since I finally bought me some webspace from Queenie (she is now officially my server mommy!) and want to work a little on my website. When I finally get it up, it will be at http://www.ailsamacpherson.com (http://www.ailsamacpherson.com/) :D fun fun...

Hahaha, welcome aboard honey. A spanking new home for that your spiffy web design.

Madalaine: Thank you very much :) I just realised that your username is your name backwards! How slow am I haha, only took me a year!

Thats one up on me. You just made me realize that myself. What made you think about that?

Elsie
03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Therry: Now that's an idea...:)...hm...I think I'll be best to try that once I've put some clothes on her though - who knows, it may not look so obvious by then, but if it does, it'll be easier to change!

Queenie: Yep indeed ^^ I really should kick my Crash Bandicoot addiction and get back to working on the site...but the gem...so close...*wide, misty eyes into the distance*...

As for Madalaine's username, I don't know hehe - I was thinking about how lots of people have very pretty usernames that don't mean anything and how do they come up with them and it just suddenly dawned on me! Haha, I'm not so lucky...my name backwards is Aslia. Or Nosrehpcam. Bah!

Gunilla
03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Oh - you come a long way with this already, nice! I really like the colors in this and her fingers are beautiful! Great expression! I agree with Theresa about the legs though - seems a bit odd right now but that might change when she's got her clouds.
Can't imagine what becomes of this one in three months - weee :bounce:

umbrellasky
03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
As for Madalaine's username, I don't know hehe - I was thinking about how lots of people have very pretty usernames that don't mean anything and how do they come up with them and it just suddenly dawned on me! Haha, I'm not so lucky...my name backwards is Aslia. Or Nosrehpcam. Bah!

:D hehe, when I first started joining online communities I was stuck for ideas for a username so started taking my own name and playing around with it and I kinda liked Enialadam...makes me think of magicians lol.

Oooo I really like Nosrehpcam...has a nice ring to it ;)

MVDB
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
You don't wonna work to hard, right.. :D
you're going fast!
Love those hands..

Art2
03-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Subscrrrrrrrrrribing :D
Go Ailsa, already working on the color wip eh? :bounce:

LadyMedusa
03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Looking good :)
Like the face and the fingers.
Only crits so far is that her hips seem a wee bit broad, but that might be just me... and her neck. There the the muscles should be a little softer.

marcoracer
03-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Yah know.. If I designed cars the way you approach your work, I'd have to do the engine, suspension and interior first. Hey... wait!! Not a bad idea... :D

I love the warmth of your piece. I was going to make a comment about her legs. They seem *almost* too long... but who doesn't like a woman with long legs, eh?

I can't wait to see the backround a bit more developed. I want to know where she's off to... (And why she feels the need to put clothes on.... ;) )

AlyFell
03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi Elsie, If I had a suggestion about the anatomy, for me it's just the hips; slightly too high. Bring them down and curve them into the thigh a bit more. But people aren't all the same anyway! :) And as you say, you've got to do the dress yet. I'm loving the mood of this though!

makaron
03-04-2006, 06:24 PM
for me it's just the hips; slightly too high. Bring them down and curve them into the thigh a bit more. But people aren't all the same anyway! :) And as you say, you've got to do the dress yet. I'm loving the mood of this though!

agree in both things.. the hips are a bit to high and I love the mood :p
are I just a copycat now :eek:

and have a Q, not sure if you maybe write this before, but.. are you gonna have something more "organic" in the scene or just her?

Tagger
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
oh, those are some freakishly fingers, ailsa. Good luck with the competition :P

Elsie
03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey everyone ^^

Well...I didn't actually get anything done yesterday, website or otherwise (but I got a gem in Crash Bandicoot!). Today I've left the website be, I'll get to it tomorrow - since I've had some lovely crits here that I wanted to incorporate.

Gunnie: Thanks very much :) I'm hoping I will get this piece finished in about 6 weeks since I have no other current commitments - which will leave me time to do another concept, then I can pick one to enter :D though who knows, I've never actually 'finished' a piece, so I may very well end up taking the whole three months! Off to check up on your thread now...I don't check the 3d forum enough!

Madalaine: Hehe, Enialadam makes me think of an exotic flower or something ^^ I agree, lots of fun can be had messing with ones name hehe. I also love making anagrams when bored.

MichaelMotion: Exactly so - whee, I have an excuse for lazing around all day yesterday, I was following your fine advice :p! Thank you, I am rather pleased with the hands so far - once I get them shaded hopefully they will look pretty nice.

Marlon: Here he is :D, yep I'm speeding along at the moment hehe (the joys of the lazy/freelance/unemployed!). Still slooow progress though :cry: I wish I could blink and things would be done...bah...

Valentina: Thank you hon, I took your advice and slimmed down the hips a little and softened the neck tendons - not sure if quite enough though!

Marcoracer: Thank you very much. Hehe, I agree that it is a bit odd the way I'm doing this - I didn't originally know what I was doing for her dress design (I do now) so when I was blocking out the image and lineart I just drew her figure and it went from there - though the dress is going to be rather see through now so I guess it wasn't a totally wasted effort ;)!

Poshspice: Hey, nice to see you here Aly :D Thank you for the great advice - I see what you mean about the height of the hips. I've bumped them down a little now, hopefully it looks a little better :)

Mona: Nah, we're all just very agreeable people in this thread! I'm not too sure what you mean by organic - technically, I generally class the whole image so far as organic except for the fan - but basically the stuff I'm intending to do is:

*Colour the pomegranite in her hand (yes guys, it's a pomegranite ^^ - I'm suprised noone asked yet hehe, it feels unloved :p)
*Add some ravens cirling to one side of her and a few silhouttes flying through the trees
*More branches
*Rocks on the ground, leaves, moss etc.
*A few moths flying around her which are starting to set on fire - I had this idea of nothing living being able to touch her without bursting into flames, maybe the ravens wings starting to smoke a little (It'd just be too cruel for me as an animal lover to do anything worse to them heh!).
*Few nice rodents and creepy crawlies on the ground and trees, maybe a snake or two.
*Make the light brighter and more definite - rays casting over the trees, and some wisps of fog in the shapes of decayed hands stretching out of the 'void'.

I think theres more things but that's probably enough of my rambing hehe.

Tagger: Hey ho Tags - thanks very much for the good luck wishes!

Update comes in a few minutes guys :wip:

Elsie
03-05-2006, 02:58 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141570688_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141570688_large.jpg)

More work on the background, started on the hair, and applied the above crits to the body.

I'm going to get a concept sketch done for the fan sometime this afternoon :)

urgaffel
03-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I really like where you're going with this and the background looks sweeeet... And slightly evil :) So where's that fan concept eh? *pokes* :love:

makaron
03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
wow! you plan to get a lot of stuff in there... :bounce:

I like that everything she touch, burns... itīs hot, dangerous lady this one... :eek:

*singing* oh oh oh FIRE! and *run and hide in the doghuose* thatīs for my terriable singingvocie... :p

jmBoekestein
03-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Ailsa! Looks like you've been working. :) I don't wanna frighten you but I think you might have gone too far allready shading wise, because I think thre are anatomical issues you should have a look at first. It seems like she's missing the lower part of her ribcage like this and her hips/upper legs seem a bit rubbery if you get my drift. It just seems like you should rotate her hip a bit more to the right and slightly up, and I think that you could let her belly come out better in regards to her ribcage. edit: it looks like her torso is jus truncated somewhat, maybe tilt her chest upwards, and have her breast point upwards more? The latter being a taste thing though, but strikes me as universal. :)

Great colourscheme btw, and the atmosphere is very moody, especially the tendrils coming from her. :D

:thumbsup:

umbrellasky
03-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Ohhh wow, I adore your ideas the background is coming along beautifully.

I somewhat agree with jmBoekestein about the anatomy I think her navel (spelling) needs to be a little lower, her torso needs to be a little longer, I think.

I don't know if you have seen this site, but there are some great reference photos of the female figure : http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets they might help :)

Really wonderful work, great character design!

Lemog
03-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Your art is not so slow Elsie.... it's perfect to see growing like that this drawing... like a fairy... always very magical :thumbsup:

erilaz
03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
The background is looking particularly pleasant at this stage.:)

ozhaver
03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Hello!

*subscribes*

really good development up until now, loving it! red is addictive!

Agamemnwn
03-07-2006, 04:40 PM
great update Ailsa . the background is looking really cool :D

aggie93
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Elsie - Great job, as always! Keep it up. I'll be checking in!

Elsie
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141825614_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1141825614_large.jpg)

'Kay everyone, I need help >_<!

Individual replies coming in a sec :) don't worry that I've not applied any of the crits yet, I HAVE noted them down and I will get to it :) thank you so much.

Since nobody (including myself) seemed satisfied with with original pose even with tweakage etc., I figured there's probably something irreparable here and decided to try VERY quicly scribble, chop and paste a new pose.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the original. What say ye, bumblebees?

N.b. Ignore all the glaring anatomy flaws in the new one heh, if I decide to go with it it'll be corrected.

W-I-L
03-08-2006, 01:49 PM
i think the old is good. new one looks wierd. stick with what you got... wouldnt mind some help myself if you got the time... compositions and all that

offbeatworlds
03-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Actually, I liked your old pose, it was more interesting and graceful, this new one is rather static. I think the problem lies more in the anatomy than anything else. Two things that really stick out is that her torso is very short compared to her legs; and since one leg would be in front of the other, they would be twisted slightly, so the right (her left) hip should be flatter.

Other than that though, I really like the composition and the color palette. Her face is really nice, and I like your idea too. I look forward to seeing more updates from you. :)

Elsie
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Peter: Hi baby *hugs*, hehe I'm sooo bad that I got caught up on starting off on one of the trees in the background and the fan is still non existant...it will definitely be done either later today or tomorrow though. I swear! Hehe, I know almost exactly what I want to do...

Mona: Whee, glad you like that idea ^^ thought it might accentuate that undercurrent of her evilness that I want to add into the scene!

JM: Work? What be this? :p Thanks for the tips there, I totally see what you mean about the belly button - actually I'm suprised I didn't notice it myself hehe - and I'll add some shadow under those ribs also.

Madalaine: Thanks hon, I am rather pleased with how the backgrounds going myself for once :) it's this darn lady that's giving me all my grief hehe. Thank you very much for the site link there, that's going into my bookmarks!

Lemog: Aww, thanks honey :D

Martin: Yay, thank you ^^!

Oz: Thankee, good to see you here!

Janni: Thank you :) glad you guys all seem to be liking the background! To be perfectly honest this is the first 'full scale' picture I've done (i.e. full body, background and not a master copy!) so I was REALLY nervous about doing a background, but thankfully it's not turning into a total disaster yet!

Aggie: Hey ho, good to see you here! Thank you!

Wil: Oh gosh, I've really been slacking off lately in returning all the comments in everyones threads heh, I blame the sickness! I've been over to your thread and added some comments on the composition now, hopefully I was some help :) if you need any more just give me a poke everyone!

Sylanya: Four votes for the old one, guess I'll be sticking with that one then :) Those are the same concerns I had about the new one looking very static - I'm going to try lengthening the old torse somewhat and see if that helps with things! Thank you very much for you comment :)

sergioKomic
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
NOOOOOOOO

go with the left one Elsie it has an Aphrodity(ish) (venus) quality!

aggie93
03-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Els - I got your thread subscribed. I'm loving it. I would go with the first. More feminine.

Squibbit
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
no way the new pose, i'd refine the arms and hands of the original and move on to other
parts of the pic until coming back again for final tune up in the end, but that's only cause
i make sense

i notice u got the knee way too low on the hidden leg in the original, maybe that's just
my eyes *rubz em eyez*

Slav
03-08-2006, 03:39 PM
if you really want an opinion, i would have to say there is one thing to do. scrap the girl and re-draw her. there are just too many things that look weird with her upper torso (mind you for the most part the anatomy is right) but the pose is just awkward. direction of the face and eye looking forward the viewer would never happen, naturally your head turn to accommodate the eye not vice versa. as for the hips and legs, i have no doubt you can get the anatomy eventually but the as this image is now they don't flow with the upper part of the body. and to focus your attention away from the figure to help distract the eye you need some objects around her. right now the image is good, but you over worked the figure and you have nothing to help you guide yourself on what's next.

hope i helped :) :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-08-2006, 05:02 PM
if you really want an opinion, i would have to say there is one thing to do. scrap the girl and re-draw her. there are just too many things that look weird with her upper torso (mind you for the most part the anatomy is right) but the pose is just awkward. direction of the face and eye looking forward the viewer would never happen, naturally your head turn to accommodate the eye not vice versa. as for the hips and legs, i have no doubt you can get the anatomy eventually but the as this image is now they don't flow with the upper part of the body. and to focus your attention away from the figure to help distract the eye you need some objects around her. right now the image is good, but you over worked the figure and you have nothing to help you guide yourself on what's next.

hope i helped :) :thumbsup:

Gotta say I kinda agree with him. Sorry, but just think how fantastic your piece will be in the end- and you have 3 months! :thumbsup:

JTD
03-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you listen to folks here at CGTalk you'll be convinced that you must produce a photo-realistic piece of work. To this I say, meh!

Notice how there aren't a lot of anime type characters in this contest? Because the artist keeps getting, "The eyes are too big. They'd never be that big in real life!" or "What’s with the size of that sword? It'd never be that big in real life!" Next thing you know they'll be telling you that your characters fingers are too long!

I think there is a difference between giving criticism and giving constructive criticism. Your character is fine and the anatomy is fine. Believe me, people are built all sorts of crazy ways. I recognize that this is a stylized fairy; it also looks like a woman to me. What more could you do to it to convince me that it is a female fairy?

My advice is to take suggestions that appeal to your artistic sense and sift through the opinions that don't. You're the artist not them.

So after all of this I have a criticism: I'm not seeing "the journey begins" in your piece, but I know that this is only the beginning of the painting so maybe you have more planned. Have fun.

umbrellasky
03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Notice how there aren't a lot of anime type characters in this contest? Because the artist keeps getting, "The eyes are too big. They'd never be that big in real life!" or "What’s with the size of that sword? It'd never be that big in real life!" Next thing you know they'll be telling you that your characters fingers are too long!

I think there is a difference between giving criticism and giving constructive criticism. Your character is fine and the anatomy is fine. Believe me, people are built all sorts of crazy ways. I recognize that this is a stylized fairy; it also looks like a woman to me. What more could you do to it to convince me that it is a female fairy?

You can only rely on "oh it's stylised it's not meant to be anatomically correct, or oh it's my character that's how it's suppose to look" to a certain point, everything is built in a certain way, has it's own structure that allows movement, allows the creature to stand up, you can't cover up the fact that you can't do anatomy with excuses that "it's meant to look like that". Of course there are exceptions but even creatures that have been made up have most likely been based on the anatomy of an existing creature today. As for manga I guess it's not so popular here at CGTalk because it isn't completely original, and is very exaggerated I guess (just how I see it). I like manga but there aren’t many artists who have been able to have their 'own' style within it.

None of this is aimed at you Ailsa, I can see that you are trying to work on the anatomy, and I understand she isn’t completely human. Anyways I kind of agree with the others to redesign her *grits teeth* I know it’s painful, I hate having to re-paint things that I have worked so hard on.

Good luck with it, I’m looking forward to your next update!! :thumbsup:

Elsie
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey guys :)

I guess I've got a lot to think about now ;)!

Sergio: That was emphatic :D hehe don't worry, if I keep anything it will be the first pose. Reminds me I must scuttle over to your thread to check what's happening!

Aggie: I'm really glad that it's an entertaining read so far, are you entered in the challenge?

Squib: Weeeell, I guess you can make sense when the minions that rule your brain allow you to :p hehe nah, I completely agree with you that I need to be working on other parts of the picture right now, the girly has been causing me no end of grief the last week or so, heh. And about the knee - thank you - yikes, how did I miss THAT O_o!

Slav, Therry, JTD, Madalaine: Hope you guys don't mind me addressing you all together since it's the same discussion :)

To be honest, I was worrying that it would come to this point where I'd have to totally scrap her and start again. I am rather conflicted here heh, I guess I'm just going to weigh it out with the facts:

1. She IS certainly overworked compared to the rest of the piece, so before I do anything I guess I will catch up on the background for a while. I turn her invisible when I'm doing so anyway ^-~.

2. The pose is physically impossible.

There are a few things I do like - I like her face and her hands so far. So, I want to keep those. The hair is a scraggly mess right now, but I know what I'm going to do with it eventually. The body - eh. I can easily lose that. The shading in general is bad and doesn't fit with the image.

What I really need is a digital camera. I tell you it's murder trying to do this figure with a few random low res photos from the net that don't even really fit as reference, hehe. Unfortunately, I'm totally broke right now and if I had one, I don't have a model the right kind of weight (I guess 112 to 135) and I'd find it too distracting to draw my own figure as reference...and I don't suppose I could bribe anyone on CGTalk into taking me some reference photo's ;). Beh *grumps* it is possible I will be able to have this stuff before the end of the challenge, so I guess all I can do for now is leave her there as a dummy figure, then decide what to do as the image develops more.

I really appreciate all your insights, you've all made some good points and it's an interesting discussion, don't worry about offending me ;) hehe, that's not very easy to do and I love critique.

Right now I'm working on the fan design, then I'll do a bit more on the trees that I've already blocked in and possibly ground. Dum di dum...

Elsie
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Just a larger version of how it's looking at the moment:

http://www.ailsamacpherson.com/images/beh.jpg

Slav
03-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Slav, Therry, JTD, Madalaine: Hope you guys don't mind me addressing you all together since it's the same discussion :)

To be honest, I was worrying that it would come to this point where I'd have to totally scrap her and start again. I am rather conflicted here heh, I guess I'm just going to weigh it out with the facts:

1. She IS certainly overworked compared to the rest of the piece, so before I do anything I guess I will catch up on the background for a while. I turn her invisible when I'm doing so anyway ^-~.

2. The pose is physically impossible.

There are a few things I do like - I like her face and her hands so far. So, I want to keep those. The hair is a scraggly mess right now, but I know what I'm going to do with it eventually. The body - eh. I can easily lose that. The shading in general is bad and doesn't fit with the image.

What I really need is a digital camera. I tell you it's murder trying to do this figure with a few random low res photos from the net that don't even really fit as reference, hehe. Unfortunately, I'm totally broke right now and if I had one, I don't have a model the right kind of weight (I guess 112 to 135) and I'd find it too distracting to draw my own figure as reference...and I don't suppose I could bribe anyone on CGTalk into taking me some reference photo's ;). Beh *grumps* it is possible I will be able to have this stuff before the end of the challenge, so I guess all I can do for now is leave her there as a dummy figure, then decide what to do as the image develops more.

I really appreciate all your insights, you've all made some good points and it's an interesting discussion, don't worry about offending me ;) hehe, that's not very easy to do and I love critique.

Right now I'm working on the fan design, then I'll do a bit more on the trees that I've already blocked in and possibly ground. Dum di dum...

those are all very good facts. but you are trying to bring to life a dead dog. you are better off moving on for the following reasons.

from now on you are goign to try to match the background to the figure. (she will always stand out no matter how hard you try, this is usually fixed by painting all elements of an image relative to itself and only finalising with detail only the parts you want the viewer to get stuck on)

the pose might be impossible and i respect it but it still doesnt flow. it doesnt interact with the environment(even if it did exist) and to be honest is little more then just a figure standing there not doing anything. there is no movement or any kind of expression that can make up for that fact.

for me, and this is extremely biased and is only based on my opinion, this image is not worth pursuing. if i where you i would sit down either at the computer or on the bed or something with a pen or pencil and work out a better composition. make sure you have have all the elements you need in an image that you can refer back too. so that you know once you sit down to work you will only have to work out details in the end.

:) i dont mean to come off pushy but that's my opinion on this subject matter and i really hope that none makes this into a flame, i really like your work and i really do hope you fix this image or move on asap :) good luck.

Ego
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't agree that the image is not worth pursuing. Jeeze, its like a week into the challenge. I am sure she is going somewhere with it and may not have worked it all out here for all to see. What I can say is take a break from it, explore other poses and go from there. Its early days yet, so no scraping !

nebezial
03-08-2006, 09:19 PM
y know this so gives me the feeling of flaman art in the 1400 year..it has that really classic mood to the character, it speaks thru symbolism, id go with the walkin leg

W-I-L
03-08-2006, 09:21 PM
hmm.. i always find that if i am having trouble with something just leave it well alone and do it in an entirely different way or do something else completly. thatw ay you can have fresh inspired eyes if you want to come back to it. or ebtter than that you will have come up with soemthing that is worth pursuing.. good luck.. you got time love

makaron
03-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I would like to see some of the animals around her... :) or maybe some cloth on her... i guess that she really gonna "move" better with clothes on...

Agamemnwn
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
i think is too early to just leave it and move on . as Ego said its only been a week into the challenge :D

aggie93
03-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Els - No, I haven't the experience on digital art. Once I go out and purchase a wacom and pen set, I'll practice and enter then. Until then, you'll find me in the OFDW and my anatomy thread.

Elsie
03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Thank you all for taking the time to comment :) I had a really bad nightmare last night (which is very odd for me because I never have nightmares!) so am a little disorientated this morning, hehe.

Slav: Oh, don't worry about me trying to match the background to the figure - I already have a very definite direction in which I want the background to go, and have subsequently been hiding the figure while I do so anyway. I realised last night if I take her opactity down 30% in the piece, she actually seems to fit a lot better in terms of lighting etc.

I will almost certainly be changing the pose and scrapping the girl - but as far as the rest of the image goes I'm rather happy with the plain layout at the moment as there's sooo many things that I want to add it - and just starting the image over would totally kill my inspiration for this challenge right now.

Certainly I will keep everything you've said in mind - I appreciate the time you've taken with your thought out comments :)

Ego: Hey hon, thank you! The piece is, at the moment, very far from what I intend it to turn out like and I have a rather weird (and probably impractical) way of working that I'm trying to get away from where I don't block everything out to begin with, I simply set markers for where they will be in my head. There is soo much stuff still to come here, I promise ;)

Stjephan: Good to see you here :) thank you for the comment - interesting comparison there heh, I'd never thought about that before!

Wil: Thank you :) ah I know you're right...I really should leave this image alone for a while, work on my website or something - I'm just one of those people that finds it so hard to leave an image once they've started :cry:, someones going to have to chain me to the TV or something...

Mona: I agree about the cloth...one of the reasons I've been focusing so much on her lately is that I wanted to get her ready before I started adding her clothes heh...most of the time when I show this image to people I get "So...still naked, huh?" or "Why is she naked? Does she have to be naked?" hehe. I believe that clothes are much more sexy than nudity! Anyway, I'm certainly going to be adding some creatures and plants in soon, working on some concepts right now :)

Janni: Thank you ^^, I just checked up on your thread - c'mon, models Janni, models :D

Aggie: Aw, that's a shame - you realise that am going to hold you to saying you'll enter once you get a Wacom :D . I'll certainly be joining the next OFDW once again ^^, have to love the crowd over in the anatomy forums!

Ego
03-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Ego:..., I simply set markers for where they will be in my head. There is soo much stuff still to come here, I promise ;)

'its all in my noodles' says mozart. :p

MichaelZHsee
03-09-2006, 10:15 AM
yup the 1st one is very much better:)~its abit odd the way she pose on the 2nd.

Elsie
03-11-2006, 12:08 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142078892_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142078892_large.jpg)

Yes, an update! Hehe, taken a bit of time off this like recommended. Here is just a concept sketch of the fan she will hold - I took inspirations for the design off a fan I have on my wall, a kimono, and a chocolate box :P. It took a lot longer than it should have since somehow I ended up "stitching" in the brushstrokes.

Queensoul has been kind enough to find some wonderful reference photos for me, so I'm going to be drawing a few thumbnails with different poses so that I can get a vote which to go with :)

Icarus
03-11-2006, 12:12 PM
top notch Ailsa, Really digging it :D

W-I-L
03-11-2006, 12:47 PM
absolutly love that design. brilliant. cant wait for the thumbails with different poses... remember have fun!

makaron
03-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Nice... :applause: from here the bird looks stitched...

Elsie
03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142089994_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142089994_large.jpg)

First pose test with *angelic chorus* reference! I have about a dozen of these that I want to do, should hopefully have them uploaded all together in a day or two since they're just quickies. This is just to show you how I'm going about the tests :)

I also made her smaller, I think it helped the scene a little - don't worry the face and the hair won't stay all mismatched like that :p just a guideline for now.

Individual replies in uno momento :)

Elsie
03-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Queenie: Exactly ;) hehe.

Michael: Thanks hon, the second is really weird looking back heh, scary how blind you go to a piece after staring at it for hours on end!

Tyr: Thank you :D

Wil: Yay, everything is finally starting to be fun again with these new tests hehe, bringing a bit of new life to the piece I hope. Stay tuned ;)

Mona: Whee, glad it looks like that ^-^, I shall post a few closeups when I get the chance later!

Ego
03-11-2006, 04:03 PM
:thumbsup: pose is looking better!

3dRaven
03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Pose is looking better. She's got more balance now.

cok3
03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
interesting approach you've got here! very earie! i like it! not so sure about the new pose though, looks more static than the previous one (which actually looked like she was going somewhere). anywayz hope u have lotsa fun with this one Elsie. all the best!

umbrellasky
03-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey the anatomy looks much better!! Wee! :bounce:

I love that fan by the way ;)

Great work Ailsa! More more!

Slav
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
well i cant honestly say anything because to me the image didnt really change much ... the pose and the figure is looking better. but the background is still the same. i know you can DO IT! :thumbsup: :wip: :wip: :wip:

aggie93
03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Els - Ah DANG! I knew I shouldn't have said that, but I will. Yea, the gang in OFDW's are a bunch of fun individuals with loads of talent. By the way, love your fan.

AGS

paperclip
03-12-2006, 01:15 AM
It's looking far better, much more natural. Only crit so far is that the knee and ankle poses seem not to match up (on her right hand side, our left.)

Mind posting the ref? :)

erilaz
03-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I can't keep up with you Ailsa! More poses! More poses! *prod*prod*prod*:D

W-I-L
03-12-2006, 03:05 PM
better than before

Elsie
03-15-2006, 11:07 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142464070_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142464070_large.jpg)

Some *starts* on a kimono heh, going to do a bit more work on the background before I do anymore on it though. And I have some sketches for some toothed flowers that I want to do ^-^.

The satin was reeealy hard with no refs, just yards of the fabric infront of me - big hugs to Martin though for finding me some gorgeous references for the actuual kimono.

There will be juice from the pomegranete dribbling down her arm btw...oh, and symbolism note, the way her kimono is crossed over is a big nono - to do with death and funerals. Just a lil tid bit ;)

Individual replies tomorrow, I'm pretty beat now and I have a headache heh.

makaron
03-15-2006, 11:09 PM
WOW someone has been working :) love that color she has on the kimono

walrus
03-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Beautiful work on that fabric. The sheen on the red part of the kimono works just perfectly!

-mike

paperclip
03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I agree with mike. Satin is so hard to portray accurately and you seem to have hit it on the spot! I think you should make the highlights a TEENSY bit lighter though, but that's the only crit I have. :)

You go girl!

MichaelZHsee
03-16-2006, 02:26 AM
looking really good with the kimono~i think the red background would take away alil too much on the focus of the character,however i love the contrast though~red and black works awesome!do u think it'll look better if u could give her kimono alil more specular feel to add more satin feel to it?it looks very good now,that was just a lil suggestion:)

MVDB
03-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Sorry for missing this much, but this one's getting along great!
Love the orange color of the dress and especialy the wrinckles in the clothes..
This will be a some piece of art.. Keep it up.. ;)

umbrellasky
03-16-2006, 08:34 AM
The kimono looks awsome! I agree with sh@ke about the colour might blend with the background too much. Other than that truly great work!

Elsie
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Phew, I've really let the replies get on top of me, hehe. I'm so happy you guys all like the fabric!

Queenie: Thank you, you saved my ass here ;)!

Raven: Glad to hear it ^-^!

Cok3: Thank you very much! I tried to get this first pose as close as I could to the first one which was impossible, but you are certainly right about it being more static and the weight backwards...hmm...I may try a few more poses yet though :)!

Madalaine: Thankee :D the fan was rather fun to do - hehe I felt so mechanical though, stitching all that in!

Slav: Thank you :) the background is the next thing I am going to work on - I'm happy that you feel that the figure is looking better now!

Aggie: Hey hey Aggie ^^ - thank you very much.

Therry: Ah, I see what you mean about the knee and the ankle - in the end I just covered it up with the fabric though hehe, I'd originally meant to have it opening over her lower legs but...eh, it's easier this way ;)! As for the ref, I normally post my refs along with most things I do, but I'm afraid this one time I can't as it was a paid reference from a photographer and I don't have permission.

Martin: Argh with the poking! Hehe, I did start doing some more poses but in the end I got reeeally bored with drawing her figure and just decided to design the kimono...with your help with some great refs of course ^-^ ee!

Wil: Thank you, glad you think so!

Mona: I have indeed :D I'm moving to Amsterdam on Monday where I will have computer access to paint but no internet, so I'm trying to get as much done as possible before then!

Walrus: Hey, lovely to see you here Mike :) Thank you kindly.

Therry: Thanks Therry, I'm so glad! As for the highlights *salutes* can do! You think I should make the highlights brighter (as in whiter) or just more saturated?

Michael S: Two Michael's at once :D Thanks Michael, I'll definitely take your suggestions on board and make the satin more specular - do you think maybe adding a light dyed-in vines pattern or something to the kimono would make it stand out better?

Michael V: Thank you so much Michael ^_^ I must say I'm finding your 3d thread very inspiring, it's coming along beautifully!

Madalaine: Hey Madalaine, thank you :) reminds me I must go and see what's happening in your thread ^^. I'm going to try weaving a slight pattern into the kimono maybe to make it stand out more.

aggie93
03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Elsie - Well, I am a breast man:buttrock: and either your girl put on a very tight sports bra or she got a reduction done.:argh: I love the outfit but she lost her figure. She went two deminsional in the chest. The face is coming along nicely. Sorry, that is just what I see.:blush:

JTD
03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't think aggie93 understands what a kimono is but we all appreciate his pubescent honesty. Anyway, this is such a fantastically beautiful update!

Lemog
03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I really like Kimono... this one and kimonos in general... perfect touch then...

Just two remarks...

First : even if there's much beautiful folds, the front part of th kimono seem strangely a bit flat... maybe it's possible to play more wih shadow and lighting...

Second : the kimono color... this warm red as a main default for me... it's color is near to the background... I think a better way is to have something very different complementary colors ?)... it exist an another way which seem to me very interesting to test... the way of the same color than the background... that can seem very strange... but while playing with these shadows and lighting, can contribute to create something different... something magical... even while playing with a part of the naked body under the kimono... I hope you can touch my vision...

Anyway, your drawing work is always very incredible and pleasant... continue like that girl :thumbsup:

Elsie
03-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys :) here's a preview of one of the moths (very quick, less than an hour) that I'm currently sketching...ahh I feel so nasty >_<

http://www.ailsamacpherson.com/images/moth1.jpg

makaron
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm moving to Amsterdam on Monday where I will have computer access to paint but no internet, so I'm trying to get as much done as possible before then!

I wish a happy begining of your journey :wavey:
and what have you done to the poor moth... :eek: looks good tho... :thumbsup:
gotta love that new avatar of yours... so cute...

aggie93
03-17-2006, 12:10 AM
First : even if there's much beautiful folds, the front part of th kimono seem strangely a bit flat... maybe it's possible to play more wih shadow and lighting...

HA!! :scream: See I wasn't the only one that noticed that. :beer: It wasn't just my headlight radar.... ah damn, ok maybe it was! :blush:

3dRaven
03-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Have fun on the trip :)

Nice avatar

beelow
03-17-2006, 03:14 AM
That painting is looking pretty strong, good luck!:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2006, 04:18 AM
wow, top job on the cloth works. i am away for a few days and everthing changes, jumpy becomes floaty, nude sexy turns out dresst elegant and all remaining to say is wowiewowwowwowies... erm. xactly, officially impressed :)))Hold the pace! go go go!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ps: enjoy your trip and don't fly too high lil butterfly...

W-I-L
03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
wow.. imprssed. just getting ebtter and better.. surprised you put so much work on the body and then cloth her..... was clothing ehr an after though? aint got time to read through.. soz..:)

LadyMedusa
03-17-2006, 01:16 PM
You really made some progress I see :)
I like the Kimono a lot!

slickgreekgeo
03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Very nicely rendered, keep it coming!

Elsie
03-17-2006, 02:20 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142605236_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1142605236_large.jpg)

Here's the results of my late night scribbles last night, I randomly splashed them into the picture to see how they may look - I'll be adding some more blurred ones in the background at some point. Also it will be fun to render the skin as reflecting the flames, which will also help with the starts of integrating her into the scene a bit more.

I'm going to get to work on the background now. Individual replies in a second :)

Elsie
03-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you so much for all the encouragement guys, I've been feeling pretty disheartened lately about this piece and painting in general >_< so it's lovely to read all your kind words.

Aggie: Hehe, well you do have to consider that her breasts would be bound under 3 under kimonos and an obi ;) though I know what you mean about the upper part looking at bit flat...I'll see what I can do ^-~!

JTD: Thank you very much :)

Lemog: Thanks Lolo ^^ I'm glad you like. I will certainly fix up the top part of the kimono - once I've worked a bit more on the background (which is obviously lagging very far behind heh) I will make the shadows on her much more extreme and integrate her into the scene, and if needs be tweak the colours of the kimono and possibly add a pattern.

Mona: Thank you :) Ee, it's exciting, my own 'journey begins' :p. Glad you like my avatar heh, it's mini moose from Invader Zim, I doodled him yesterday ^^. Ah, procrasination...

Aggie: Aaaaany excuse ;) (hehe, kidding!)

Raven: Thanks Greg :D

Bryce: Many thanks ^-^

Sacha: Thanks very much Sacha :D hehe if I'm a little butterfly, I hope I'm not one of these ones that are set on fire :argh:.

Wil: Heh, true enough I originally only meant to quickly doodle the body >_< but then because of the anatomy flaws I kept trying to correct and correct it took forever! Bad planning on my part.

Valentina: Thanks hon :)

George: Thank you very much!

makaron
03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
it's mini moose from Invader Zim, I doodled him yesterday ^^. Ah, procrasination...

he kind of hypnotize me tho.. find myself goofy like smiling and just watch him jump for minutes at the time... haha... :rolleyes:

and love those moths.. think they gonna add tons to the "fire" mood... :bounce:

Stahlberg
03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Those moths are wonderful! I love them, they add so much! They're well rendered too, and kind of a unique idea (even though there's a saying about moths and flame). :)

Many are saying you should contrast the color more to separate the kimono from the background, I'd go the opposite way and integrate it more, making some parts of it a darker red just like the background, maybe make it darker downwards as if a shadow falls slanted across her legs... I don't know why, I just think that would look so cool.

NinjaA55N
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
wonderfull colors and some details! I also must say that the composition works quite interesting for me.. the girl in the corner and turned into that way is a risky place to put her but with her look into ours direction u made it right. I would move it a bit to the right thought, coz the edge of the thing in her hands (whats the expression in english for that?) is in the same place as the edge of the tree in the back of her which makes it a bit hard to read. But otherwise very nice pic, keep going with the good work!

umbrellasky
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Oooo wow! The moths looks amazing!!

aggie93
03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Elsie - I am loving those moths. I am curious as to thier story. Keep it up!

PS Considering it has been awhile since I wore a kimono and I have no clue to what an obi is... LOL

Agamemnwn
03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi elsie elsie flexie :D ,

great moth my little meep person :D and the detail on them is amazing :D great job

Eve76
03-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Your picture is quite beautiful already! I love the use of reds and bright colours. Though at the moment I am not sure that the picture conveys the idea of someone starting a journey. It does look great anyway!

MichaelZHsee
03-25-2006, 05:30 AM
the burning moths are awesome!just alil suggestion~i think u could make the end portion of the gown/kimono darker as to blend with the ground or gave her some soft shadows coz she seems floating at the moment.other than that, u are doing very well now my friend

offbeatworlds
03-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I really like the concept of the burning butterflies, that's pretty nifty. The fire looks really realistic. Nice work. Can't wait to see more updates!

individium
03-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Many are saying you should contrast the color more to separate the kimono from the background, I'd go the opposite way and integrate it more, making some parts of it a darker red just like the background, maybe make it darker downwards as if a shadow falls slanted across her legs... I don't know why, I just think that would look so cool.
i comlpetely agree with this dress looks too photo realistic and seperated but even wonderful this way.

its damn cool great idea and creepy and beatiful and goth and ... waow:scream: :beer:

dont stop!

Zephyri
03-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi Elsie! Lovely work this far, though I have to ask, what is the element of the journey in the pic? Forgive me if I'm jumping in ahead of time and it's something that will develop as the picture does! Whatever the story, I love those moths, amazingly well rendered. And building on what Stahlberg mentioned, I'd definitely agree, pushing her kimono to blend more with the background would add even more mysteriousness, and you could pick bits of it out more strongly with highlights from the burning moths, or you could have it so the material is graded, from mor of a murky red colour to the brighter orange a the top, like she's coming out of the earth almost. Only one other thing that look a little strange is the top of her head... it might be the small pic so I can't see it, but she looks a little 'scalped' like ome of her hair is really plastered onto her skull... I'd be tempted to put a bit more in on top of her head if it's not just me being blind!

Lovely start though Elsie, can't wait to see where it ends up. And have fun in Amsterdam!

Tigrenka
03-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Nice picture. I have only one question: Can you make her face more beautiful? This girl , from my point of view,is not good-looking.

adonihs
03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
great job on the fire, i love the blue hints in it, really good =)

Ego
03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Nice picture. I have only one question: Can you make her face more beautiful? This girl , from my point of view,is not good-looking.
I guess she will, the minute she enters her in a beauty contest instead of an art challenge.

Icarus
03-28-2006, 11:33 AM

oh my, what a constructive comment, *shakes head*

Ailsa, The Pictures looking wonderfull, hope all's well in Amsterdam :D

ralphmanning
03-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I like the burning moths, the fire looks great. Heh, kinda ironic...too close to the light, moths get their just deserts. I like what its implying about the character. :)

Elsie
03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone!

Ee, thank you all for keeping my thread alive while I'm over here and internetless! My time is almost up in my internet cafe so I don't have time yet to reply to everyone individually but I will as always get around to it, promise!

To everyone asking about how the journey is conveyed in this piece, the original concept I wrote is here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3286379&postcount=39 . Basically she's a sprite leading all male travellers off the road through a journey into hell that they wil not survive to "win her love". I'm hoping the journey aspect of the picture will be more clear once I add the ghostly hands reaching out of the light and whatnot!

The DVD's lied to me :cry: they pretended to burn the data and when I got here there was nothing on them, so no work on the challenge yet which I'm rather miffed about - I'm looking into how much it will be to DHL my computer over here.

I went to a Caravaggio and Rembrant exhibit at the Van Gogh museum over here with Peter (Urgaffel) and Britta (Llynna) and it was stunning - sooo busy! They had the paintings between the two that were similar next to each other and gave an audiotour of their similarities and differences, it was lots of fun!

Hope everyones well, phew I have some catching up to do once I get around to it :argh: so many threads I've missed!

Much love to you all ;)

Ailsa.

jenishbek
03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Nice coloring! Good luck!

individium
04-04-2006, 11:13 PM
waow i read the concept now!
i thought of something totally different but now i want the movie of your version!:)

Womgoose
04-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Flaming moths... so cool :bowdown:
Beautiful work and really bold/startling colours.
Lovely.

Elsie
04-24-2006, 03:59 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1145890743_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1145890743_large.jpg)

Emprgh...life...sorta...

I'm rather embarrassed to update this actually heh, truth be told I've totally lost heart in this painting with this massive break from it and it just looks godawful to me now. I doubt I'll be finishing it >_< it's just fatal for me to take that long a break heh.

Anyway I though I'd show you the hour or two I've actually spent on it this month O_o thank all you guys for supporting me so far.

On another note I should be getting the net soon, *fingers crossed*.

Art2
04-24-2006, 04:10 PM
hey, Ailsa long time no see :)

Are you sure of abandoning this work?

jmBoekestein
04-24-2006, 04:29 PM
With only an hour or two, maybe all it takes is to get back into it no? :) I like it, I'd love to see it finished.

urgaffel
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry it didn't work out with the break :sad: I have to agree with all the others, it's an great piece you got and it would be a shame to toss it in the bin but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and start over :sad: I hope you won't discard it for ever though... Maybe return to the concept in the future?

paperclip
04-24-2006, 04:52 PM
What Peter said.

I'd be sad to see it gone forever though. Definitely pick it up again in the future.

Elsie
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147172942_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147172942_large.jpg)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the concern :) hehe, somehow I have sort of got back into this piece. I started painting over the face and am currently redoing the tree's and kimono - I'm going to try and paint over the entire image before time is up, then maybe I shall enter it heh. Have to admit though, with every stroke I have "Ergh-god-damn-it-hate-this-stupid-image-so-sick-of-argh!". Ah well :)!

By the way, I am so sorry everyone for not keeping up with your threads O_o An hour in the internet cafe here and there which is very noisy doesnt really leave me in the mood for browsing the forums at all. But I'm taking glances here and there and everything is looking great!

slickgreekgeo
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
It would be a shame if this isn't finished, your newest progress shot is impressive as hell.

walrus
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I'm glad you're still working on this, even if you aren't! :)
That facve is looking better and better - really wonderful. Only thing I don't get is that crease under her left eye (screen-right.) I just don't understand why it's there, it makes it look to me like an invisible hand is smooshing up her cheek...? Sorry!

anyhow, don't worry about feedback, just keep going. Good luck!

-mike

Lemog
05-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Same feeling about the part near the eye, a bit strange... a bit disturbing... but the rest comes really good... as it's so good to see your update here... and to know you're continuing anyway... courage Ailsa, this piece merit to be finished :thumbsup:

Llynna
05-09-2006, 07:55 PM
awwww hon :) finally i get to see the update :) really good to see it and know that you are working,. you are arent you?

im the same as lemog and walrus about the eye. i would also suggest reworking the nose a bit the tipp looks a bit flat at the moment, like the nose is not the same on both sides. (somehow im on crappy english today, dont know why, maybe im tired or so)

hopefully we will get to see some more soon :)

Djampa
05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Elsie,

Long time I donīt talk at photo wip exchange, been busy at my short yet. (hell now 9 months into it)
Your work is comming out great, keep it up, donīt loose faith on it.
You maybe hatting now your art, sometimes we do, just try to get into the picture again, artists need to dive into their work and īlive thereī for a while if you know what I mean, when we get away from it we kinna loose it, but it is possible to take it back. So take it back! :)

Will keep track as possible, no crits by now, just make it happen ! It is becomming better and better. You are great, keep it up.

slickgreekgeo
05-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Elsie,

Long time I donīt talk at photo wip exchange, been busy at my short yet. (hell now 9 months into it)
Your work is comming out great, keep it up, donīt loose faith on it.
You maybe hatting now your art, sometimes we do, just try to get into the picture again, artists need to dive into their work and īlive thereī for a while if you know what I mean, when we get away from it we kinna loose it, but it is possible to take it back. So take it back! :)

Will keep track as possible, no crits by now, just make it happen ! It is becomming better and better. You are great, keep it up.

I agree, I took a break from entry as well (a very long, one month break), and I started working on it yesterday for 9 hours straight. Usually we as artists tend to get 'tired' of an image at some point; my advice would be take a break and start fresh, it makes a world of a difference.

I agree with the rest of the critiques, this needs to be finished; It's impressive as hell wether you think so or not, good luck!

warpy
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
nice progress ails, i got one word for you and its "MSN" :)

Elsie
05-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Ah you guys are all wonderful :) thank you. Honestly, you've really lifted my spirits with this piece, I will try my hardest to finish. And (wheehee) we are getting the landline connected on Friday so will have internet really soon after that. Mwerp >_O.

George: Thanks a lot for the support :). I tend to be the sort who will just work flat out on a painting for a week or two and get it finished - somehow if I wait any longer (like the month break I took myself) I just lose my drive for it and forget everything I was doing - it's a bit of a pain, guess I need to learn to pace myself a bit more!

Mike: Ah sorry ^^ the mysterious crease thats confusing everyone was going to be makeup to begin with (a streak under her eye) but then I kinda forgot about it/became blind to it as I was working on the face. I'll take it out :)! I'm glad that you think the face is getting better, thank you!

Lemog: Merci beaucoup, ma petite pomme de terre! I will do my best to get this finished in time, promise :D.

Britta: Thanks hon, will take what you said about the nose etc. into account and fix it!

Djampa: Hope that your short is going well :). Great advice and encouragement, thank you very much.

Warpy: Hehe, I will come on MSN for a bit today! Same as the forums, Iīve not really felt like chatting when in a really noise cafe, most of them seem to also be long distance phone centres, but hopefully will have the net at home real soon.

jmBoekestein
05-10-2006, 01:09 PM
The specular does wonders to the face. Keep at it the last bit :thumbsup: .

Heh, first you get a month of web withdrawal, just to become addicted all over. Dosage is key you know. :p. jk

Keep it up!!! Yay Ailsa!

paperclip
05-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Something was sort of bothering me about the face and I couldn't figure out what it was- then I figured it out! The eyes seem a bit too high. However, the colour scheme and everything else that you have going on are great, so keep it up! :thumbsup:

Elsie
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147435030_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147435030_large.jpg)

Hi guys :)

Thank you JM and Therry - I think you're right about the eyes being a little too high Therry, I'll try lowering them and seeing how they look ^-^.

Here's the whole image at the moment, am painting over the bottom half of the kimono, trees behind her, ground, and will start on the horrible snake and other stuff soon. I really need some rock reference images too. So much to do...!

Elsie
05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh yeah, and I ditched her fan too - trying to get the "Journey" thing across a bit more with her beckoning, no shading on the hands yet because I'm just trying to find the shape.

MrFreeman
05-12-2006, 01:19 PM
:) This is looking good Ailsa -

I love the warm colours, especially the oranges of her kimono - adds a real magical feel.

I would also put a few higlights on her hair as it looks less 3D than the rest of her (sorry I'm sure you are going to do this anyway)

A few more textures on the kimono and the rocks and you should be nearly there - keep up the great work and post an update soon - :) :)

Cyberone
05-12-2006, 02:30 PM
you have put ALOT of work into this one....

i think the hair and the background (especially the tree trunks) need a little more attention..

to have the figure so detailed then to leave the background so painterly is something that i myself wouldnt do...but each to their own...

anyway... i love the colours and the woman loos fantastic.

i woulsd also agree that the kimono needs a little pattern...i have never seen a straight plain kimino...they usually have some texture or subtle something...

anyways....good luck!!

i looks like youve had fun making this and the results are really comming out...keep it up!!

makaron
05-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Iīm sooo happy to see you back online and working on this lady again... :bounce: and you added a snake to your evil zoo too I see... keep it up Elsie...

slickgreekgeo
05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Keep it going, you're making some real improvements. What I would do is 'hide' the main character while painting to concentrate more on the background, as that needs more attention at this point. Usually when I do a piece featuring characters, I'm always tempted to detail the hell out of them, and the background might seem less 'complete'. Just a suggestion, I know we don't all share the same workflow, but I hope that helps.

Looking forward to more updates, keep it up!

Icarus
05-14-2006, 03:59 AM
Really digging the colors Ailsa!, their looking fantastic,

as ive mentioned before i love the dress and the flying (spirits?) around her, really works well together :)

Hope things are good over in NL :)

Tagger
05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
hey hey,
i just love the hair and fingers.

Keep up the good work, elsie :)

frostblade
05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I think her chin is a bit short and the jaw a bit too square but if that is what you are after then nevermind.

The colours and details are very nice, keep up the good work :)

individium
05-14-2006, 06:23 PM
im glad to see youre back ('cause you were one of my favorites) and her head also looks better now.

good luck

Elsie
05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone. Thank you again for all the kind and insightful words. Erm, sorry for the babbling comments, guess I'm feeling vocal today :argh:

MrFreeman: Thank you :) By the way I am really loving your challenge entry also, the colours work together wonderfully. I was leaving a comment on it last time when we were both at the top of the page and I ran out of time in the cafe halfway through, must remember to go and rewrite it. I do indeed intend to put some highlights in the hair before the end, I always have a lot of trouble with highlighting black hair though so I tend to put it off for as long as possible...!

Cyberone: Heh, you voiced a few things that had been naggling in the back of my head for a while - I was thinking of perhaps adding a subtle maple leaf pattern to her kimono to break up the orange (damn my laziness, I will get to it!). You're right about the background, I have practically finished the girl apart from the highlights and shading correcting etc, now I'm pretty much working entirely on the background, painting over the trees, adding mulchy leaves to the ground and whatnot. Ah, and you are in Japan? I envy you!

Mona: Thank you :D I'm happy to be back! By the way, I learnt the other day that your username is 'macaroni' in Swedish...Can I have a gold star? ;)!

George: Thanks a lot :) I'm happy you feel it has improved. Sometimes I also hide the main character periodically when painting the background, its a good way to completely focus your attention. A lot of the time though I don't really work on more than two or three layers max (I have a simple mind! heh) because I'm sort of trying to use digital art as a training tool when I get around to trying my hand at traditional oils etc. The mastercopy for OFDW12 I did a while ago was for the most part only three layers (appropriately named "lines" "stuff" and "more stuff". I am the most useless photoshop user ever :cry: )!

Tyr: Heya Tyr :D thanks ^^. Things are going pretty well over here, I miss proper jacket potatoes and butter that actually has taste to it heh, but no complaints about the nicer weather, clean streets and distinctly smaller ratio of teenage yob gangs...actually I think most of the nuisances here are British :argh:. Oh and I learnt some good words. Vla. Vla is a good word.

Tags: Hey hey, long time no see! Thanks a lot, hopefully I will see all you guys in the IRC soon.

Frostblade: Thank you very much, you have some very nice paintings yourself in your c&c thread :).

Individium: Aw, thank you, I'm pretty chuffed to hear that I was one of your favourites!

Elsie
05-17-2006, 03:08 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147874901_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1147874901_large.jpg)

Hey everyone :)

(Ignore the weirdness in the middle, the obi is the last thing majorly majorly messing with me and I have to keep painting over since she is entirely flat).

I know I should be working on the background *hides* and I have a little, but since the girl is so close to being finished I'm really just trying to push and practically finish her to the point that I can be satisfied for now and then have literally nothing to distract me from the background :argh:

I spent a whole day just draping fabrics everywhere and seeing how they fall, and finally managed to make something up for the bottom part that I feel falls more realistically. Only thing is now I want to redo the top for the fourth time to even it out >_<!

I'm going to be in Sweden for nearly a week from tomorrow so now I am freaking out about how little time I have left - there will be a laptop in tow so I can do some work but I can't really see myself really sitting down and working flat out till I'm back infront of my own workstation. Anyway, see you all when I get back!

makaron
05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Welcome to Sweden... :) and of course, a little goldstar for you... http://www.gep.group.shef.ac.uk/animated-gold-star.gif and now you know a swedish word for food too... could come in handy... haha

and that draping looks really good now... :bounce: well done

Ego
05-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey young lady, glad to see your challenge is moving along nicely. I was beginning to be quite afraid you wouldnt make it.

Lemog
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
I was fan of your creation since long time, but I must acknowledge that these last modifications about fabrics are fantastic, totally perfect, nice folds... I want to see this piece finish soon... best of luck girl :thumbsup:

ThePetitePommeDeTerre... :scream:

Elsie
05-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey guys. Weeelll....I spent 6 hours non stop on this yesterday, totally redoing the background. The trees were trees...rather than vague representations of trees that they are here. I did the ground, I did the rocks...then - joy of joys - my file gets corrupted! Yippee! And my last backup was saved before those 6 hours. Sooo....I give up! I don't care anymore :argh:! Heh, I spent an hour just tying up some loose ends in the older version and I'll submit that now.

Thank you everyone for supporting me through this challenge, I have learnt a lot about what not to do hah, so even if I hate this painting, I have a lot of stuff to apply next time. I can't be grateful enough - you all kick ass :)! And now I NEVER have to look at this horrible painting again!

Mona: Hehe, I learnt lots of Swedish words in Stockholm :D and now I can expand on your name with my amazing power - makaron och ost! Whee! Thank you for the encouragement on the draping and my gold star :)!

Queenie: Eh no worries, even *yells so that a certain person hears* INTERNETLESS AND IRCLESS (:p) I have still be doodling away on occasion. Give my love to everyone in the IRC!

MaPetitPommeDeTerre: Lemog! Long time no see :) Hope that you are well, thank you for your enthusiam on the folds :).

Elsie
05-25-2006, 12:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1148558255_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9654/9654_1148558255_large.jpg)

Concept: The Journey Begins

Inspirations:

Dante's Inferno (Book):At the beginning of the famous book, Dante finds himself in the middle of a forest, strayed off the path and too tired to recall how he had come to be there - and nearly finds himself mauled by a lion (it was a lion, wasn't it?) before he is rescued by Virgile, and the tumultous travel through hell, purgatory and heaven ensues. Got me thinking of just what happens when you stray off the path...

Lord of the Rings (Book):"You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."(Quote provided on inspiration page for challenge). This got me thinking about not only straying off the path itself, but devilish wicked beings that for some reason would WANT you to stray off the path...

Giselle (Ballet):Giselle was one of my favourite ballets as a ballerina, and one of the main parts of the story were the 'Wilis' - souls of women that had been betrayed by the men that they loved, and now enticed men to dance to their deaths in revenge.

Meiko Kaji (Music):The music of Meiko Kaji is so beautifully elegant and brings so many images to my mind of classical Japan and oriental myths - which coupled with her sorrowful and often slightly acerbic lyrics about how men have screwed her over produce a slightly bizarre effect that I fell instantly in love with. A lot of the future images that I have in mind are inspired by Meiko Kaji.

There was another one but I, er, forgot it

-------------------------------------

Concept:

He walked along the tired, empthy pathway, his worn sandals scuffing up the dust and dirt that was settled there. His feet were starting to ache, and his vision getting bleary; the scene around him waved and wiggled as through the air when looking into the distance on a hot day.

A secluded forest was up ahead, and as dusk started to descend upon him he decided that it would be a good place to settle for the night. He slung off his backpack, and looking up again, saw a creature that made him gawp.

She was a spirit of some kind - pure energy, formed from the bitterness and sorrow of women scorned by their lovers. Here by the forest she would wait for a weary traveller to come by, and entice him away on a long and cruel journey to win her love - a journey impossible for a mere mortal, which would kill him before he could complete it.

As he stared at her, he felt the importance of his journey melt away into the back of his mind, his tiredness lift a little, and he took a step towards the creature...

Slav
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
congrats on the final elsie but i must say that my prior crit about your image stands. you really should get in the habit of rendering the image all at once that way you don't end up with a background thats barely done, and a hyper real figure. (btw i don't mean to sound harsh but i am breaking your balls only because i know you can do better,) :thumbsup: :applause:

and ever since windows 98 (which gave me HUGE headaches) i have come to adapt either one of two methodologies, using Linux or being VERY careful with windows. MS have messed things up many MANY times before, which resulted in allot of their users being hacked and other similar things. i am noticing that you aren't the only one though, a few others also share in your tragedy. again sorry to hear what happened!

Art2
05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear your files got corrupted Ailsa :sad:

But it was good to see that you were able to take it to this stage. Being computerless, internetless and all. Luckily Urg has a laptop :)

Anyway, excellent job!

individium
05-29-2006, 02:53 AM
congrats alisa very good image!

and good to see that you could finish it!

makaron
05-29-2006, 05:47 AM
hej Ailsa...
more swedish for you... grattis! bra jobbat... you made it... even tho you had your technical problems along the way... I think this is just a great picture, love those colors, love her expression... :bounce:

good luck

and are you having makaroner och korv for dinner today?

Lemog
05-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Well... much problems to finish... but the result is fortunetely here, and really good... the global feeling is more of pleasant... congratulations Ailsa... :applause: :bowdown:

Elsie
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Slav: Hey :). Don't worry about sounding harsh heh, I do know that you are trying to help me and I'm glad that you think I can do better. I am certainly going to try and develop the parts of the image in more tandem next time - as this is the first picture I've ever done with a full background the lack of process threw me totally!

As for the OS - I would much rather be working in entirely Linux, as it was my first and foremost OS for years - infact the only reason I switched to Windows was for Photoshop. How do you work in Linux? I tried running Photoshop in there through an emulator but it was jittery as hell and unpaintable.

Marlon: Thanks Marlon :) I'm not actually computerless atm heh since I got my monster 40kg pc shipped over from the UK, but pathetically enough I have to admit I feel my creativity totally drained without being able to look at all the wonderful art online and be driven to do better *sigh*.

Individium: Thank you very much!

Mona: Thank you :) you know of course that I really enjoyed following your thread before the er...disconnection! I have been checking in though :D. Makaroner och korv...is makaron och ost not right then, haha...I'm useless...*notes down new Swedish words* get ready for my latest senseless amalgamation...bubbla snopp! :D!

Lemog: Thank you ma petit pomme de terre for all your support through the challenge. A post from Lemog alway makes me smile ;) hehe!

Lemog
05-29-2006, 02:05 PM
A post from Lemog alway makes me smile ;) hehe!
Hahaha... is it the avatar or my very original english spoken ? :scream: hahaha

JoanOfArt
06-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Beautiful work. Gorgeous colors, personality captured perfectly, interesting sense of motion. Very much enjoyed discovering this thread.

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2006, 06:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.