PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: jonny duddle

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 07:47 AM
jonny duddle is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9647)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Chimpski: Hero of the Soviet Union
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147852844_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3552126#post3552126)

MVDB
02-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Expecting something great from you Jonny, but don't feel any pressure, k? :D

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 07:50 AM
oOOh!! This sounds fun!

The funny thing is... when we all thought that Leigh was suggesting a 'Journey' or a 'Quest' with her clues i was thinking of a little fella on 'mouseback'. I'll sketch it...

:)

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Expecting something great from you Jonny, but don't feel any pressure, k? :D

Thanks Michael! I reckon the pressure's gonna be just finding the time...

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Here we go again Mr D! Good luck Jonny! 'The Journey' eh... Sounds like our trip in to work every day!

beelow
02-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Wassup Johnny, I love to see ur work all the time good luck!:thumbsup:

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141115408_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141115408_large.jpg)

A very quick 15 minute sketch (from some mouse reference!)

This ain't concrete... I've thought of some other ideas so i'm gonna be loading up lots of concepts over the next few days.

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Booo... there's no thumbnails yet!

Ho hum....

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Holy crap that was quick pictureness :eek: hehe, can not wait to see what you come up with this time Jonny! Best of luck to you.

beelow
02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Damn johnny, He ready!:thumbsup:

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
hey nice quick start from you too , jonny boy! :thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
02-28-2006, 09:09 AM
whoa~johny ,u r fast~thought of wishing u goodluck and u have started off firmly.good stuff mate.i'm looking forward to see how this develope:thumbsup:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey Jonny! Woo, concepts already! I love the mouseback fella, really good for the very first concept.... I'm certainly subscribing to this one. You should put a daisy in the background for your little girl. :)

Good luck and have fun, I'll be lurking...lurking...lur..

AndyH
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Aint you finished yet?

Cuh... :rolleyes:

Ill be keeping my eyes peeled (ouch) for this un

MVDB
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Looking nice Mr. Bug! Maybe next time I'd like you to be a bit quicker :D

Overchord
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
hey duddlebug, loved your entry in the last challenge as well as watching your process - so good luck on this one - looking like you're off to a flying start!

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Posh: Haha... maybe i should just illustrate that? Me and you getting into my camper van and driving over the snowy moors to work...? A bit 'Fear and Loathing in Derby' perhaps!?

beelow: I'm ready... got some stuff i need to do today... but from tomorrow i'll be flyin'!!

Elsie: quick yes... but very very rough. I've got another idea involving a space rocket... :)

Squibbit: quick-ish maybe... but i've not got out my colouring pencils yet (like some people). I can't wait to see what your going to entertain us with!

sh@ke: Thanks Michael! It's a fab topic! And it's got my creative juices flowing already... just need time to let those juices dribble on my screen...

paperclip: Thanks Theresa... i'd imagine the mouseback fella with a crwod of musicians behind him and little folk waving banners from branches. But i've got some other avenues for investigation first...

AndyH: Don't peel 'em!! Not till i'm done!

MichaelMotion: I wanted to get something down quick. But it'll probably all change...

Overchord: Thanks a lot! I'm a bit worried i'm doing too many processions!! Maybe i'll have to think a bit laterally..?

GrM
02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
oooh, this looks exciting already! I can't have to see where your journey ends up going, whether or not it follows this little guy.

beelow
02-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Posh: Haha... maybe i should just illustrate that? Me and you getting into my camper van and driving over the snowy moors to work...? A bit 'Fear and Loathing in Derby' perhaps!?

beelow: I'm ready... got some stuff i need to do today... but from tomorrow i'll be flyin'!!

U should make Posh all Emo and stuff, hehe! :D

I hear that Johnny, Let see what u got, beat Posh if he does not finish this time for me will ya!:D :p

mark-jenkins
02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Mr Duddle!
Always a pleasure to watch your progress, I'll definately be keeping an eye on this one.
Good luck

crowley
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Good to see you there Duddle. Good luck!

Mythmaker
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Go Duddle - Go Duddle - Go Duddle... (can you see my funky dance?!!) :D

Rudeone
02-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Good luck Jonny! looking forward to see what you come up with this time!

jmBoekestein
02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Quick up to speed, looks really nice, your concept. Go Mr Bug!!! :scream:

flyingP
02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
in for another go I see :cool:

W-I-L
02-28-2006, 01:24 PM
thats a quick draw you got there jhony... nice looking start best of luck

digital-bobert
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Jonny! I wish you the best of luck!

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141135914_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141135914_large.jpg)

Just another thought that sprang immediately to mind... based on a doodle i did when i was finding ideas in the Spectacular challenge.

A russian chimp saying farewell to his baby and wife before heading off to the moon... set in the early 60s...

I thought i could try and include all the elements... chimp in spacesuit, baby chimp, wife chimp, russians, 60s russian bus, space rocket and the moon.

More ideas to come...

Rudeone
02-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Yay monkeys!!! I think it's a wonderfull idea, it fits the theme very well.

paperclip
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Oooh, I like this one! I really do! I'm sure you'll come up with a fantastic color scheme for it and everything!

Ramitxon
02-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Great idea, what a long journey for apekind.

MVDB
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Fantastic idea! Maybe let your brain storm some more on this one..
Not fair when people are this quick..

AndyH
02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Holy crap! Thats a SOOO-POIB idea!

Go with it! Go! Go! GOOOO!
:bounce:

walrus
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
And here I thought we'd dispelled the rumours based on hints from Leigh that the theme would be something about monkeys...?

Anyhow, good seeing your work again, Jonny! Both nice pics, but I like the monkey one, especially the fact that his wife and kid is there too - great idea!

Have fun...!

-mike

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
So duddlebug, you're already making everyone else look slow with your lightning-sketching speed? :D

So far, the concepts look very promising (monkey astronauts just plain rule :applause: ). Looking forward to more of your creative crazyness. :thumbsup:

Slav
02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
always a pleasure to see you work manifest it self. good luck mate. :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I wish a good luck and lots of creative energy to all of my buddies from previous challenges :D Dont be mad coz I'll post the same first reply to all of u, but wishes r sincere.. I just wanna to sign up to ur thread. Once again best of luck!

mark-jenkins
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Jonny,
I can't believe it, I had the exact same idea of a chimp in space as you for my entry. Just to make sure it didn't look like I copied your idea, I have chacked the time of the posts and I definately got in there first. Trouble is I don't think I will be able to compete with you in executing the idea. I am still thinking of different interpretations but if you don't go with this idea I might still use it. I know you'll produce a great image whatever you decide to do. I loved your spectacular image by the way.
Mark

Tris3d
02-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Hehe cool mate! Look forward to this one! :D

MikaelPersson
02-28-2006, 06:07 PM
'lo Jonny. Glad I caught you in the beginning, will try and follow your progress this time around.
I heard about the "snow storm" that hit northern England, maybe that is a fit topic :)

Good luck!

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
JoNnY! I love the monkey in space! I remember the original doodle very well. You could have a co-pilot who's a small dog; like Laika...

MVDB
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
JoNnY! I love the monkey in space! I remember the original doodle very well. You could have a co-pilot who's a small dog; like Laika...

Yeah! Dog as co-pilot would be hilarious :applause:

mark-jenkins
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Jonny,
Thanks for the reply, yeah I suppose you are right, there are bound to be similar themes. I just didn't want to get disqualified for plagerism (if that is how you spell it!) Anyway while reading up on t'internet about animals being shot into space I discovered that Americans sent chimps into space and the first Russian animal in space was a dog so there is plenty of room for different interpretations. Good luck with your entry and thanks for putting my mind at rest.

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow! So many replies for one day!?

GrM: Cheers. Dunno what i'll be going with yet... might be this fella, might be the cimp or might be something completely different??

Beelow: Don't worry, i'll make sure posh finishes this one!

Crowley, Mythmaker abd jmBoekestein: Thanks guys!

FlyinP: Couldn't resist... :shrug:

W!L, Digital Bobert: Thanks a lot!

Rudeone: Hmmm... i think i'm in danger of being typecast, but i can't resist a monkey.

paperclip: hmmm.... i think i'll go for a monotne background and a brightly lit monkey. A bit like my spectacular piece. Um..?

Ramitxon: One small step for a chimp...?

MichaelMotion: i'm already storming on the inside! I'm thinking more soviet propoganda at the moment. Hmmmm.

Andy H: i've been thinking a lot about my chimp on an asteroid that i did as a spectacular rough. I really want to develop it and this subject seems to be the perfect opportunity!

walrus: Cheers Mike! I'm glad you like it. The wife and kid make it a little autobiographical for the last twelve months of first time fatherhood. Well, that's the idea.

ArtisticVisions: Haha... these are reeeeal quickies. Just to get me going. I should have more time soon. Then i can get properly started!

Slav, Tris3d, NinjaASSN: Cheers!

Marco J: Blimey... how weird's that? I hope you won't mind if i explore this further. It's been a character that i've been thinking about since spectacular so i may well run with this... we can both go with similar ideas i think. The brief is so specific in 'the beginning' of a journey that i think there'll be lots of similar concepts floating around. Good luck with yours!

Mikael P.: Hi Mikael!! Great to hear from you! And we always get snow in Buxton! Hope you enjoy the journey...

Poshspice (and MM!): Hey Aly... The Laika idea is just brilliant. Just wait for the next rough...

Too much else to do tonight so i won't be submitting much else until Thursday or so. Thanks y'all for being so interested so early!

And if i've missed anyone, or madfe any big booboo's then i apologise but i typed this between cooking and eating pancakes (with fresh lemon, fruit sugar, bananas and tia maria. yumyum!)

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Jonny,
Thanks for the reply, yeah I suppose you are right, there are bound to be similar themes. I just didn't want to get disqualified for plagerism (if that is how you spell it!) Anyway while reading up on t'internet about animals being shot into space I discovered that Americans sent chimps into space and the first Russian animal in space was a dog so there is plenty of room for different interpretations. Good luck with your entry and thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Haha... yeh, i found out the same thing. It was NASA that liked sending the chimps up into the vortex! I just like those USSR space suits. Maybe we can show the two sides of the space race between us? :)

RedSquirrel
02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
15min, lol you are blooming fast, your concepts rock BTW :D

nebezial
02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
maan..no need to look at the name..the sketch just screams duddlebug..and its frickin awesome:thumbsup:

MrFreeman
02-28-2006, 10:31 PM
:bounce: Good to see you back Jonny.

Now that you are famous an all with your work in that ImagineFX - this must be something extra special.

Like the ideas so far!!

:) :thumbsup:

Elsie
02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Some really strong starts Jonny - fantastic :D Not sure which one I prefer as of yet, I'm leaning towards the first one. Can't wait for colours :bounce:!

Arc80
02-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey man, good start with the sketches. Welcome again and goodluck.
Can't wait to see something new from you.

cheers

PSych
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi, i liked your spectacular thread :thumbsup:
Great start in "Journey" :bounce:
I hope u make something great in this one
Good luck.

TheFirstAngel
02-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Best of luck to you mate, cant wait to see ya get busy :)

Five
03-01-2006, 03:54 AM
Great stuff! Keep'em coming.

Gord-MacDonald
03-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Some cool concepts here! Good luck.:thumbsup:

Gord

Vahn
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
ah my hero :D good to see you with a really cool idea already .. hi jonny :wavey:

duddlebug
03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
hey guys... nothing new to show (frustratingly!) but i wanted to acknoweldge peeps who've dropped by.

RedSquirrel: haha... I had some real work to do yesterday so i had to do my sketches fast! I'm gonna have more time over the rest of the week so i'll get some more concepts uploaded.

nebezial: Cheers! I'm gonna go look at your entry once i've finished typing this...

MrFreeman: Cheers david! I've done a few more bits for ImagineFX... It's nice to some of this kinda stuff in print. Good luck with your entry!

Elsie: Thanks Elsie... oh dear... i'm leaning more to the chimp... But i'll start adding colours to something soon.

Arc80, PSych, the1st_angel, Five, Gord MacDonald, Vahn: Thanks folks! I'll crack on and get something new posted soon!

I can't believe the volume of work submitted already!! Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the intensity seems to go up a notch with each challenge!?

Some groovy stuff about...

MichaelZHsee
03-02-2006, 02:51 AM
man i dig ur character design~i really love this cute characters u make:thumbsup:

schaal
03-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Johnny, thanks for the comment in my thread.

Your idea is very nice and cool.

Great toon style. It will rock. Go to the moon! :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Oooh, good idea re: the space race. That could explain why the chimp is looking so shifty..maybe you could have a (badly disguised) american spying on them? I can't wait to see how it progresses....we want more!

KOryH
03-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Hey Bug looking good.
I really wanted to explore the monkey in space thing. Oh well.
Do it proud! As I am sure you can.

Best to you.

DoInferno
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Cool Concept! Love your work, man! Gona check your thread close!

duddlebug
03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141315806_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141315806_large.jpg)

I've been a bit busier than expected, so not too much more to show but this pencil study of Chimpski, Hero of the Soviet Union.

Bravely shedding a solitary tear as he bids farewell to his baby son...

sebek27
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
great concept ! Although I'm Polish and Chimpski last name sounds more polish maybe making it Chimpsky instead.. :) I love your style ! very original and unique, keep up the great work.

duddlebug
03-02-2006, 04:16 PM
great concept ! Although I'm Polish and Chimpski last name sounds more polish maybe making it Chimpsky instead.. :) I love your style ! very original and unique, keep up the great work.

Aaah... you see... those pesky russian scientists wouldn't send one of their own chimps up into orbit. That'd be far too dangerous. They'd grab one of those Polish chimps and not care if he returned or not...

Erm... um....

:shrug:

sebek27
03-02-2006, 04:19 PM
sure! use us Our chimps as guinea pigs ! lol

urgaffel
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Haha brilliant idea and great concept. And good thinking on the USA vs USSR space race aspect ;) (not to mention the polish chimp) I like it loads!

authentic
03-02-2006, 04:25 PM
excellent. Love the space in the helmet.
I 1st got a similar, but I have no chance with such artist as you; So make something dfifferent
Good luck.

Elsie
03-02-2006, 04:30 PM
*snorts juice through nose* Oh my god Jonny, you rock :scream:

paperclip
03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, great pencil sketch but if I were you I'd change head a bit, right now it looks really uncomfortable and stunted in the helmet as it is. Maybe twist it around a bit to look at the child more? Or maybe raise the head up?

Aside from that (tiny!) detail, you're doing a great job! The baby chimp is so adorable -put a daisy on her babygro!!

Ramitxon
03-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree with Paperclip, there´s plenty of room in that helmet for a lot of ideas once he is in orbit. Maybe you could show up a little more of his face?. Otherwise it is a cool concept, I´m going to watch You closely.

monsitj
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
nice charactor design , when I first saw the challenge topic , your spectacular entry is poping in my head first! waiting for your nice pic from you !:applause:

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
OMG that last sketch so rocks!!! I seriously burst out laughing, I don't know if any amount of AIR can remove the spewage from my keyboard, lol! :scream:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Squibbit
03-02-2006, 05:09 PM
"chimpski" ,heh, nice, cool sketch too, i like dat helmet solution :thumbsup:

W-I-L
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
chimpski.. toom good mate. chimpski and son.. almost sounds like a sitcom..... HAROLD!

MichaelCTY
03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
wow so scary to see u join challenge again haha kidding, nice sketch and concept so far
,please show me a great piece of work again
I am very enjoy to see the progress
best luck:)

walrus
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Wonderful sketch, Jonny! The little tear is a great touch. I have to agree with Theresa and Ramitxon: If the emotional focus of the piece is Chimpski and his family then I can't help but wish all of their heads were larger and more visible so we could see them better.
Keep 'em coming! :)

-mike

AndyH
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Aawwww!

I want one!

Love the fact that his head only takes up a fraction of his helmet.

Nice work - looking forward to seeing some of those drab soviet browns, beiges and reds

Tak Tak
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
What a lovely character design! More please :)

flyingP
03-02-2006, 07:17 PM
said it before but in this case I really don't mind repeating myself, I love your style ;)

azazel
03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
that chimp is awesome :)

Dhomochevsky
03-02-2006, 07:27 PM
ahaha! that's the best idea i've seen so far :D
your journey is beginning well :thumbsup:

LadyMedusa
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Aww... poor little monkey

I too love how the head takes only a little of the helmet :) Really nice detail

good luck and have fun! :)

EAD
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
HI.. really nice fluent sketches you got there, like your style

GO UK !!!:scream:

MVDB
03-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Great little char design jonny!

I love the big helmet, with only the bottompart covered by the chimps head. This leaves you a lot of room to make some sort of fabric inside the helmet, maybe one with a banana-patern? Or some pictures of his wife and child hanging in his helmet so he's still a bit with his afamily when he's out there..

Good char. :arteest:

sirBS
03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Excellent sketches! Have very much liked :thumbsup:

Dutchman
03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi there Jonny! ::wavey: I think your thread is a nice place to set down my very first post of this new challenge!

Lots of very interesting concepts and ideas seem to flow around here! Your style (especially in that last sketch, but also in your monkeygirl artowork) can be called 'a new artform' (to be standing next to 'Burtonesque' etc! :arteest: )! I love the style and expression of your work!

When watching your work I know how few chances there are to be seen by the public, but I'm giving it a try! ;) All the best luck & Lots of fun!
-Gijs

DelArin
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, I've been an active reader of these boards for a while now, and I think you've just convinced me that it's time to take part!

Thanks for that Jonny. Look forward to finally getting back into my artwork.

cLos71
03-03-2006, 01:55 AM
is sweet! Have never said that about a monkey. But you made it look really cool. :thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
03-03-2006, 03:10 AM
the coolest chimp i've seen so far~awesome sketch johny:thumbsup:

jbballaran
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Excited to see what you'll come up with this time :) Goodluck. Chimpski sounds good man. Nothing too magical with the idea at the moment. Keep pushing! :)

bandro
03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
he he looks funny :D

am7
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
As always, i love you'r concepts! Keep going!

KOryH
03-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey Jonny,
Great stuff. I always liked this concept. It would work for EVERY challenge!
anyway go checkout Enrique Fernandez.
http://enriquefernandez0.blogspot.com/
He has some killer space monkey illustrations.
Not really your style, but similar content. He is a superstar. He refers to his project as Monkey on Mars.
On a side note Chipanzees are not monkeys.

duddlebug
03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Blimey... what a lot of response to such a little sketch. Thanks to everyone! Sorry i've been so quiet, but real work seems to get in the way. :) I've actually used this idea in a piece of freelance work i did over the last few days. So i've got more of an idea of how Chimpski could possibly look, but i can't show that sketch until it's published!

I may well be sticking with Chimpski. It's a story i've had swirling around my head for a long time. I may even draw a few rough comic pages out. But i'll probably explore a few ideas for the final image. This challenge has given me the perfect excuse to find the time to visualise all this stuff.

DoInferno, urgaffel, Michael Chang, Taktak, azazel, Dhomochevsky, AndyonaHill, Sergey Banityuk, clos71, bandro, am7 : Thanks for all the comments!

sh@ke: There was a few dodgy iterations of this sketch and character design is always a struggle... but i quite like this one. More design to come though... probably with some colour.

Schaal: Cheers! I can't wait to see how your piece turns out! And yup, i think he'll be heading moonwards... So he can set up base and spy on Neil Armstrong!

Paperclip: HAha... a badly disguised american could be a cool idea! And i may well turn the head a little. Although i want him to look reluctantly heroic in a soviet propoganda styleee.

authentic: Cheers! I'm surprised there's not more space monkeys and apes. I don't think it matters in a contest like this. It's a common concept and the space race fired the world's imagination for so long. There's gonna be a lot of elves and hobbits and anthromorphic characters for instance. Everyone who explored the cosmonaut thing would interpret it differently methinks.

Elsie: Thankyou! I think i'm more Roly than Rocky. I need to get my New Year diet started...

Ramitxon: I think the low head will need a bit of playing around with, but i like the idea that this little chimp is wearing a normal cosmonaut's helmet and just doesn't fill the space. Because he is a bit stunted...

monsitj: Haha... it seems that loads of people toyed with this space monkey or ape idea. I think it'd be great to see a few different interpretations at the end of May!

RebeccaK: OooEeurgggh!? Better buy yourself a new keyboard, eh? Haha. Anyway, glad you liked it. Although it is supposed to be terribly sad and poignant you know?

Squibbster: Cheers. I like dat helmet too. Those russians had a natty line in space fashion!

W!L: Heh... A sitcom would be cool. "You off to space again today, dear?" "Well love, it's a job" :)

Walrus: Thanks Mike... and i will make sure that the focus is firmly on the Chimpski family. There's a long way to go and i need to get into the composition and what's gonna be included in the final image.

AndyH: Cheers Andy. I'm glad you're keen on the unused helmet space! Have you entered yet? Given in to the lure of late nights and no social life? eh? huh?

flyinP: Hey Brian! Thanks for the post? I want to see you get involved again in a challenge. Go on.. you know you wnat to...

Lady Medusa: hooray! another vote for the big helmet/little head solution!

MichaelMotion: The family photo inside the helmet is a great idea!! Thanks!

Dutchman: Thanks! I'm always struggling with the issue of style. It bothers me. It's never quite where i want it. And it's always changing. It drives me bonkers! But i'm so glad you like the stuff...

DelArin: Cool! Take part! It's a laugh... you know you should...

Abeejieh: Thanks...plenty of time to get this idea developed. And i hope you enjoy where it goes.

Kory: Cheers Kory and thanks for all the input so far! And you're right, you could use a chimp in space for nearly every challenge. Especially the last few.... Grand Space Opera, MAster and Servant, Spectacular and this one! Haha! I had actually seen Enrique's work before. I've got two issues of 'Le Magicien d'OZ'. But i hadn't visited his blog (it's in my favourites now!) and i don't think id'd seen his monkeys... But they're just lovely. He gets so much character in to such limited marks. But i'm not going to let them put me off my plans for Chimpski. I think i'm heading in a whole different direction from a very similar source of inspiration. As i mentioned earlier, the Chimpski idea has been in my head for a long time. I nearly used it in spectacular and that piece was based on a pencil sketch i did for my girlfriend on the first valentine's day we were together. It's such a popular concept that there's bound to be lots of stuff around that explores aspects of animals in space, whether it's monkeys, chimps, or dogs. I love animals and i want to tell a story about an oridinary chimp who becomes a Hero of the Soviet Union. And like you say... "Chimpanzees are not monkeys" :)

Phew... what a lot of gumpf i've typed. That'll teach me not to neglect the thread for a few days. I'm gonna try and post something in the next day or two, but i've been snowed under by stuff that feeds my family...

I'm also gonna try and find an hour or so to browse everyone else's thread sometime today. I feel a bit out of the loop!

Thanks again!

Art2
03-05-2006, 09:45 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141135914_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141135914_large.jpg)

That rocket should have wodka as it's fuel...

:D

Chimpski... hahaha!

duddlebug
03-05-2006, 10:28 AM
That rocket should have wodka as it's fuel...

Haha... a wodka wocket!!

paperclip
03-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Put the chin up, heroic style and tilt the head over to the side and look down on the baby with a stern/sad look and you've got it, man.

Composition feels like it's missing something..not sure what...Maybe you should lower the perspective a bit, so you're looking UP at the chimps and people, with the rocket and the sky stretching out to infinity over them??

KOryH
03-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Cool. I was giving you a heads up to an artist we all should be aware of. I am glad to hear that you have an OZ book or two. They are very charming.
GO CHIMPSKI! почетность и гордость

flyingP
03-05-2006, 09:27 PM
flyinP: Hey Brian! Thanks for the post? I want to see you get involved again in a challenge. Go on.. you know you wnat to...

maybe the next one, too much other stuff I have started that I want to get finished first

grobouk
03-06-2006, 03:10 PM
happy to see you here johnny. Cool idea and great excution, i'm fan

duddlebug
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141750994_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141750994_large.jpg)

Here's another rough sketch for the composition...

Everything's been a bit hectic for me over the last week or two so i'm struggling to find time for Chimpski and to really get involved in the challenge. But i managed to get this done in my lunch hour. I lowered the viewpoint (nice suggestion, theresa) and made Chimpski more central. I've expanded the moon and i'm gonna try and gear all the perspective towards it. And I've moved all the secondary characters into the background. I may bring Mrs.Chimpski a little further forward.

Colour wise, i'm either gonna go for dusk (think of the vivid sky in the Betty Blue poster) or cold and frosty daylight with big clouds. Both of these should contrast nicely with the orange suit that Chimpski will be wearing.

I've realised there's a lot of compositional similarities between this and my Spectacular piece, but i can't think of a way around that.... Hopefully the colours will help further differentiate it...?

AndyH
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Very nice!

I like the way how the elements of the pic like the radar dishes are all pointing towards the moon. Maybe have wifey monkey interacting with him some more - they look kinda distanced at the mo.

Looking ace anyhoo - keep em coming. The colour scheme sound like it will look ace.

dash2k4
03-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Ooh, this one looks promising. Can't wait to see more!

MVDB
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Yes! this last composition looks very good..
The chimp(ski) in an orange suit/overal, this will be priceless! :D
The backgroundcolor with cold and frosty daylight I think will do very nicely..

This entry is so gonna rock!
(I hate it when this happens)

MichaelZHsee
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
this'll work out just great johny:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Ahhh...I am really loving this...it has quite a powerful feeling to it and quite emotional too. sob!

I have no crits. :thumbsup:

duddlebug
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141814959_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1141814959_large.jpg)

Just to confuse matters... here's a view from inside the cockpit of the rocket. Complete with map of the moon, diagram of the solar sysyetm in case of a wrong turn and family photo. Plus some bananas.

I'm gonna stick with the previous composition methinks but i thought of this wehn i was lying in bed this morning so had to visualise it in some way.

FrozZT
03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
lol.. This last one is hilarious! Laughed when i saw it.. But like you said, you should probably stick with the previous as they are fitting the instructions better.. Great sketch! Have fun!

duddlebug
03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks to everyone for the crits so far. I feel a little guilty for not browsing more threads myself but i've barely found time to doodle the chimpski stuff. I should have a bit of time over the next few days so i'm gonna try and have a look!

paperclip: Thanks! As you can probably see, i've taken some of your tips into the updated composition, and i'm glad you like it! :)

KoryH: the Oz books are just lovely... The shapes he uses are breathtaking. I've read through his blog and there's some incredible artwork on there. So what does the russian bit mean??

FlyinP: Cool... hopefully seeya next time then...

Grobouk: Cheers! Thanks for lookin in...

AndyH: TA! I want a lot of the composition pointing to the moon... and i'm going to bring Mrs.Chimpski somewhere between Chimpksi and the Russian guards. And i'll probably rough out both colour schemes and put it to a poll!

dash2k4: Thanks!

Micahel Motion: Cheers... and i hope the finished piece isn't a disappointment...

sh@ke: Thanks! I'm gonna drop by your thread today... promise!!

FroZT: haha... great! I enjoyed doodling it so i'm glad you found it funny. And i'm definitely sticking with the first idea!

Thanks again, i'll try and get another update posted before the end of the week!

makaron
03-08-2006, 11:42 AM
hallo Jonny... this Chimpski is a real workout for the ol´ laughingmuscles... :bounce: great stuff

W-I-L
03-08-2006, 12:03 PM
brilliant.. like this latest comp,... :bounce:

Overchord
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Great new sketch Mr Duddle :)

But in terms of sticking to the thme of the challenge, I think your Chimpski portrays emotion at the beginning of the journey better.
But great stuff - plenty o' time left, so no harm in trying out a few things (which i sorely need to get off my behind and do myself :D ) - so keep'em coming :thumbsup:

MVDB
03-08-2006, 12:56 PM
hahaha! very cool Jonny!

as great as this new sketch/concept is, I'm glad you gonna stick with the previous one.. :)
Can't wait for some colors..

paperclip
03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
I really like that last one but I prefer the first for the theme. You shoul definitely finish it outside of the challege though-it's too cool to let slide!

Slav
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
jolly good! nothing to sit back sip on some coffee and watch you work :)

MAXA_RAT
03-08-2006, 06:29 PM
really nice idea and style!! good luck!

Pat-Piper
03-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Johnny, nice sketches! Looks like another fun ride for you and the chimp. I also like the rat rider sketch, will you develop that idea any further?

Screenblind
03-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Jonny!

I bet you're glad you didn't try to fit your space chimp into the Spectacular challenge now! consider yourself well-watched son

peace & luck

SINAD
03-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I've seen your work since I join cgtalk . Now this my chance to reply you.
it look great and can't wait to see your next images :thumbsup:

duddlebug
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
makaron: heh! Cheers! More to come soon hopefully... I've been doodling some comic pages.

W!L: Thanks, but i don't think i'll be using this one for the challenge. It might make a cover for a mocked up Chimpski comic though?

Overchord: Thanks! Yup... just trying stuff out. And loads of time left yet...

MichaelMotion: Ta Michael! Colours coming soon (at least very rough colours)

paperclip: Thanks Theresa. I will finish this one. But likie you say... the first idea for Chimpski seems more relevant to the theme.

Slav: You might need a few coffees with my snail like pace this challenge... :)

MAXA_RAT: Thanks!

Pat Piper: Hi Pat... I'm glad you like the Chimp and yes, i plan on doing something with the mouse at some point.

Avatarist: Haha. I couldn't just leave the idea as somehting i could've maybe done...

SINAD: Thanks. I hope you like the end product in May!

Like i said in my last post, i've had a bonkers hectic couple of weeks and this challenge is down the list of priorities (but only for the moment!). I'm hoping to get some colour studies done over the next few days, and i've got some very rough comic pages i'll try and finish and post. Thanks for the comments so far!

GonzaloGolpe
03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
haha hi jonny! a wonderful and funny idea! good luck again!:thumbsup:

▒Zalo▒

AndyH
03-14-2006, 07:48 AM
All's quiet in duddle country.....

What gives?
Need some more purdy pichaz!

duddlebug
03-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Gonzalo, Thanks for looking in. And i'm glad you like the idea!

Andy... I've had a bit of a bananas week professionally, so there's been no time for Chimpski. It looks like i'll have to find time here and there whenever i can, so no more development of different ideas. I'm going to go with the one where he's holding Chimpski Jnr. I'll post a line art soon... or at least a more developed concept piece.... hopefully this week....

AlyFell
03-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Bananas is the word....! Don't drive anywhere today Jonny! The ice on the car was about an inch thick!

Alouette
03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
your draws are awesome!
very expressive style .
I love how unquiet is the monkey expression .

good job

i'm curious to see the color one

duddlebug
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Bananas is the word....! Don't drive anywhere today Jonny! The ice on the car was about an inch thick!

I'm not driving anywhere!! I'm gonna stay home and draw! WooHoo! I hope you and Matt aren't having too muh fun without me..? :)

Alouette: Thanks! But it may be a little while before colour...

Sundance5000
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I really like the composition you already have Johnny. It will be very interesting to see what you are opting to replace this with. Best of luck (though you don't need it).

paperclip
03-14-2006, 11:41 AM
We're not seeing matt anywhere....we think he's gone AWOL.. from the challenge.

Or maybe he'll sneak up on us later??

Waiting for more updates, jonny, don't disappoint us!

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
hahaha, awesome. so we go bananas this time, take care, baby doesnt have another freakout, fellah might tell :p

beelow
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I've just noticed that was a monkey, hahaha! Haven't seen u in a bit duddle, hope to see something soon!:thumbsup:

AndyH
03-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, ive only really had chance to look at yours and Aly's threads so its almost like the challenge isnt happening for me now!

You both need a tremendous boot up the buttock!

JOSHUAtheJAMES
03-19-2006, 02:31 AM
Hahahaah.

That sketch is freakin AWEsome!

heh.

-JtJ

penartist26
03-20-2006, 01:22 AM
gorrilaz love those characters' thats cool man start coloring it lookin for final product ;)

duddlebug
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I wanted to drop by my thread for the first time in about a week to say sorry for neglecting everything. I've had a crazy couple of weeks professionally and left my full-time job in games to go freelance last week. So this contest dropped to the bottom of my priority list temporarily!! I'm planning on getting my line art sorted next week, because i'm still kinda snowed under with complicated work stuff... and i was distracted by the CG portfolio stuff... :)

Thanks to everyone who's looked at my thread and especially those who've commented!

Alouette: I'm curious to see the colour one too! Hopefully i can get stuck into it next week!

Sundance5000: Hi sundance! Good to see you moonlighting over here at CGtalk! Glad you like stuff so far!

paperclip: Hi Theresa! And I think you're right about Matt... i think he's planning an ambush when we think we're home and dry... Me, Aly and Matt shared a room at Eurocom doing concept work, but i left last monday, so i'm not going to see as much of them from now on... I'll miss their smiles and flatulence... :)

the1st_angel: haha... yup sacha... i'm gonna go bananas... but slowly.

beelow: Hey Bryce! More coming next week... promise...

Andy H: Sorry Andy! I gotta feed my ladiezzz and that means earning money! But i'm gonna get on with it next week and get myself started so i can do a couple of hours here and there to get it finished on time! Althoough it'd be nice to win a copy of Zbrush or something... i've got my swanky graphics card installed from the last challenge! And i'm gonna try and use the copy of Painter for this challenge! CGtalk challenges are fab!

JOSHUAtheJAMES: Hi! Another conceptarter meddling with the darkside...? Thanks for the comment! Glad you like it!

nards26: Cheers! final product starting soon, but there's still plenty of time! (I remember saying that last time and working my butt off trying to finish in the few days up to the deadline!!

Thanks again for the comments. More coming soon! Meanwhile, my new avatar is a clue to what might be coming next... i worked up some of my Chimpski idea for a page header for this month's 'Imagine FX'! (I'm not sure if i'm allowed to show the image yet... so i'll check and maybe post it soon!)

duddlebug
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1143194694_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1143194694_large.jpg)

This is an image i produced for 'Imagine FX' earlier this month. It was for an article on using and setting up Wacom tablets but i decided to develop my Chimpski character for the illustration. It seemed like a good way of killing two birds with one stone!

I couldn't show it until now because the magazine only came out yesterday... but it's a first colour development of the chimp character for this challenge. I've also scribbled a couple of comics pages based on this idea... i'll submit them when i'm happy with them!

These aren't representative of my final composition. I'm still gonna go with Chimpski and his baby son just before take off... More development of that coming next week...

flyingP
03-24-2006, 10:18 AM
i decided to develop my Chimpski character for the illustration. It seemed like a good way of killing two birds with one stone!

I really must try to get jobs like that :) . Great character and style as always Jonny :thumbsup:

adonihs
03-24-2006, 10:18 AM
glad youre entering man, work up some good art =D

Vahn
03-24-2006, 10:22 AM
haha very cool johnny :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Great expression on that fella there!

I'm glad you're developing that, even though you won't be going with it for the challenge. He's such a cool monkey. :)

I like the way he's using his foot to operate the mouse. :D
....Like always, fantastic work. You make me envious. :) Give me a duddle talent!

Do you still use that 17px chalk brush? You always seem to produce such nice textures...that I can never capture, sob.

I'd really like to see this with a background....please give us an update, ok??

Now...back to chimpski & son.... I wanna see the reluctant russian hero saying goodbye to his baby chimp!

jeromoo
03-25-2006, 08:15 AM
That russian monkey is so iconic! You should consider have that on a T-Shirt! It looks
perfect on a white shirt! on second thought, all your works should be on T-Shirts!!! I'd loved to wear them!!

All the best with your progress, jonny!

osgii
03-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Sooo great! I like all of this pic. The render, the style, the monkey, dynamics... all!
Well done

individium
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
i love those concepts. the monkey gave me a big laugh very nice work
only thing about the monkey is i think theres a very little problem with holding the mouse
but since its a sketch its like theres no problem.
:applause::applause:

jpedro
03-25-2006, 06:59 PM
what a great character! really fun to watch your sketches- keep it up!

doomdragon
03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Nice concept, I like how it's kind of funny and serious at the same time. :D
I liked that about your picture in the last challenge too. I don't know what it is, maybe because it's funny but no one in the painting is smiling.

Hope this turns out really nice :D good luck.

khunlee
03-27-2006, 03:13 AM
:eek: fantastic work!!! like the details and your idea.

TheFirstAngel
03-27-2006, 04:21 AM
lovely, love your designs and he's simply great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
03-27-2006, 08:21 AM
man johny,u sure have something with chimps~this one rocks.haha i like him with the wacom tablet~

Chupacabra
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Good drawing skills. But it's the end of a journey, not the begining wright? I see that he's fallen from the sky, crashed into a tree or something... Maybe he still has to climb down a huge tree and fight himself through hordes of lions, killer-zebras and groupie-apes who all wait for him down on the ground... Just a stupid thought.
I love drawing monkeys myself. Check some of it on my Cg Portfolio...

Can't wait to see how this journey is going to end.

Best regards and big respect

Khan alias Chupacabra

My Journey Begins (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323929&page=1&pp=15)

CG Portfolio (http://chupacabra.cgsociety.org/gallery/)

Sundance5000
03-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Wow! Maybe you ought to switch out your pic with a self portrait :cool: ! Best of luck on your new Freelance Journey!

b.t.w. the update looks great!

Zephyri
03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Johnny, great to see you entering this challenge too... and already I see a duddlebug classic in the making, I love your style, and it's fantastic that it got recognition in the last challenge! Chimpski (god, that's genius, simple, but funny) is already an adorable character and I can't wait to see developements of the rest of the Chimpskis and to get an idea of the overall colour scheme.

Best of luck again!

Squibbit
03-28-2006, 10:26 PM
cool monkee dude!

CharlesVarenne
03-29-2006, 02:01 AM
Thats a cool monkey you have here!!:thumbsup::bounce:

Muttonhead
03-29-2006, 03:52 AM
WAAAAH! AWESOME MONKEY! Monkeys are always a big winner in my book. But you have taken it to a whole new level: communist monkeys. My world-view is shattered.... I was SURE that all monkeys were devout libertarians.

Nice work as always. Looking forward to the final masterpiece!

Art2
03-29-2006, 07:08 AM
err.. it's perfect... I think you're done :D
I don't know what your relationship is with monkeys... but your monkeys rule.
I love this stuff!

EricClaeys
03-29-2006, 07:10 AM
I like the concept - can't wait to see where you take it.

Kyena
03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
ah hahahaha - that's where your banner comes from.
Ingenious characterwork..you are going for the win huh?

Looks like it's going to lead you pretty far up indeed :)

shaft73
03-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I can't wait to see the next step on this one. Nice!

MVDB
03-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, ya did an amazing job on this image for 'Imagine FX'!
Think it's a massive design/concept you have with the monkey-astronaut..

Keep us informed!

domclubb
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
great character. can't wait to see your concept for it.

lulaassassina
04-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Go duddle! :D

I'm thinking on entering this challenge, too. If I find a little space to work on this, I'll do it.
Keep up, m8!

luv to you.

cyberarts
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
I really like the look of your monkey! I got to keep an eye on your work. It's to cool!

Keep up with your good work!

See ya!

Sourgrapes
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey duddlebug ^^

Your picture brought a big smile to my face. I love it ^^ really awesome idea!!

croesbrun
04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
verry nice scene you have here jonny,
does the monkey starts the journey by taking learning haw to use the wacom ??? :)

any way i like the picture a lot and you have some nice 20 golden nuggets of advice in the imaginefx magazine

love to see more :)

Nomad
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Ha ha ha ! exellent soviet monkey idea :applause:

I`m looking forward for more devlopment and your final sketch :thumbsup:

Good luck and have alot of fuuuuun :bounce:

paperclip
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Je voudrais l'update. Yes, you heard me!

herrstample
04-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey I like your style so far (If I change my mind I guess I can post again) and anything with monkeys is big plus - I am trying to avoid unnecessary and irrelevant fluff so I won't go into any greater detail about how sweet monkeys are but I like your image so far.

paperclip
04-15-2006, 02:50 PM
http://blogoehlert.typepad.com/eclippings/images/waiting.jpg

........Jonny?

AndyH
04-15-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.mactavishland.ca/pictures/tumbleweed.jpg

>eerie wind<

Its a bit of a crapper that he hasnt updated for ages, after such a sterling idea, but hes the new poster boy for that imagine FX magazine! Go jonny! Go for the good of the british magazine industry!

Hope you can carry this one on at some point...

cgoz
04-20-2006, 07:53 AM
haha, is that a wacom in his hand.cool!

jpedro
04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
again, great character, and look forward to see an update. and slightly off topic, nice stuff in imagineFX too, both inspiring and helpful, thanks, and keep it up :)

OKMER
04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Duddle style again and so "great again",really great monkey there!!!lot of humor in it i find!!!

paperclip
04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
:cry:

Come back to meee!

tuck
04-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Haha! Awesome character man! wicked style!:thumbsup:

jevinart
04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
excellent character design & style -- very cool job!

oceanbluesky
05-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Fantastic image, one of my favorites. Good luck!

danblomberg
05-07-2006, 07:51 PM
haha sweeet! : )

MrFreeman
05-07-2006, 09:13 PM
He He He.... love the image and hope you haven't got lost in the Pennines somewhere as it's been a while...

Good to see your work in the press...

Looking forward to the next update :) :)

anticz
05-13-2006, 09:12 PM
THis is great. Very humourous. I need to keep checking in on this one cause I think its gonna ba a keeper. No crits just keep making me laugh please!

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 12:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147606990_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147606990_large.jpg)

Okay... less than two weeks to go... time to get this chimp in the bag!?

I've spent some time this morning fiddling with the original composition. I moved Chimpski off to the right a bit thinking about 'thirds' and all that gumpf. But i think i'm gonna move him back to the centre for my line art. In the centre it feels full on and heroic. I'll leave it for a few hours and see what i think...

I've also decided to make him bigger in frame. He still needs to look small against the guards so i may bring a guard into the foreground on one side or another. Or just try and get it looking right with the low perspective.

There's not much time left for faffing about! So i should be submitting my line art later tonight so i can get messy with the colours over next week. Gonna have an hour or two per day until the 27th... hmmmm...

I've got a ton of work and a weekend camping in Wales to fit around this so we'll see, eh?

:)

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 12:45 PM
....And i'd just like to say a big ThANKS to everyone who's dropped by my thread while i've been 'a bit quiet'. Hmmmm... i last posted on the 24th March. That's rubbish, innit?

adonihs, vahn, osgii, individium, jpedro, doomdragon, khunlee, TheFirstAngel, Sh@ke, sundance5000, zephyri, squibbit, cahrles-ho, sean-a-murray (can't go wrong with monkeys!), art2, ericClaeys, kyena, shaft73, MichaelMotion, domclubb, lula_assassina, cyberarts, sourgrapes, croesburn, nomad, herrstample, cgoz, OKMER, jevinart, oceanbluesky, rasseltassel, MrFreeman, anticz: Thanks! I really do appreciate the support when i've been such a slacker on this thread!!

flyingP: i've gone abit Chimpski mad over the last couple of weeks. I've collected loads of cosmonaut reference off the internet, i'm reading a book called 'Moondust' about the NASA astronauts that walked on the moon and i've been doing another Chimpski illustration for 'Imagine FX'. And i've started getting stuff together for a Chimpski website and comic. It's amazing what CG challenges can spawn!?

paperclip: Thanks for all your interest and putting up with my general ignorance and neglect of this thread... Going back to something you asked. I do use the 17pixel chalk brush a lot in Photoshop (with opacity set to pen pressure) but i'm planning on doing a lot of this picture with Painter! I'm trying to learn it and it seems an appropriately challenging thing to do!

jeremoo: T-shirts would be 'oh so cool' to do. Maybe something for the website...?

Chupacabra: Yup... the previous image is the end of a journey and i think i confused this thread a little by posting it. It was just something i did inspired by my challenge entry for a freelance job. But i'm gonna hopefully doing a lot more Chimpski stuff over the next few months, even after the challenge.

AndyH: Haha, sorry to be a crapper. I've been so very very very busy. My freelance career has got off to a promising start... fingers crossed... i hope i can get this finished too. I've also been distracted by Daisy's christening and lots of DiY because we're selling our house and moving to the welsh seaside (anyone wanna buy a house in Buxton?).

I'm gonna try my best to get something finished for next week... and i'll upload as much WiP as i can. Thanks again folks!

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147610442_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147610442_large.jpg)

So i've moved Chimpski back to the centre and brought a guard in to the far right...

Maybe needs a bigger guard on the left but the launch pad should do a good job of balancing him out..?

Gonna do my Line Art next because i'll probably change it as i paint anyway!

paperclip
05-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey bug boy, glad to see you back! I'd nearly given up hope...but with the way you work (i.e quickly, yet producing quality stuff), I'm expecting another winner. :D

I preferred the perspective the way it was before, with everything pointing to the moon and chimpski in the centre standing proud with his son in his arms. I think you should go with that one, it's much more heroic and emotional! Like a soviet promotional poster....

Ramitxon
05-14-2006, 02:36 PM
hey Jonny, glad to see you back in action, wish you the best of lucks, but you must hurry.

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 02:54 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147614887_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147614887_large.jpg)

So here's my line art!

Not exactly neat or developed, but all the information i need to start painting.

As i mentioned earlier, i'm hoping to get this done predominantly in Painter, and i'll keep updating with WiP's. I'm hoping that an early morning hour or two each day between now and the deadline (with a couple of more substantial evening sessions) will see it finished.

I'm not sure about the guard in the foreground but i like the suggestion of force in the muzzle of the kalashnikov pointing in the direction of Chimpski... so i'll work him up on a layer and make a decision later.

Next up... Base Colours.

paperclip: This is much closer to the original sketch and, if anything, everything is pointing more at the moon. Hopefully the colours will accentuate that and give it some of that soviet poster vibe. I may shrink Chimpski a little as i develop the image... Hope you like it!

ramixton: Cheers! And i'm gonna hurry!!

paperclip
05-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Ooh, I know- lean the russian guy on the very left 'in' a little and exaggerate his perspective, he's throwing it off a bit. Aside from that, great stuff and I hope you update lots so I get to see another duddle work in progress! How's daisy now btw?

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
How's daisy now btw?

Cheers for the comment on the guard... i was editing my post to mention him and we crsossed in the magical interweb ether...

And Daisy is just the most fantastic little girl! She sleeps all night and laughs and smiles all day and i love her to bits!

paperclip
05-14-2006, 03:42 PM
You should make a little chimpski soft toy for her. :D That would be cool!
What sort of color scheme are you going to go for here? I hope you're merrily at work now....

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 03:55 PM
You should make a little chimpski soft toy for her. :D That would be cool!
What sort of color scheme are you going to go for here? I hope you're merrily at work now....

I think i'm gonna go for big blue sky sunny day type colour scheme with one of those nice daytime moons with the buildings and spacehip fading off a bit in the distance, and some dark russians and a bright orange suited Chimpski&son. I did conisder a night time launch but i think i'll stick with daytime.

And, nope. I'm not working on this. Got some real work to finish off before tomorrow. I'm hoping to do a bit more on Chimpski before i go to bed tonight. Although i did a very quick fiddle with that guard in the near left. I'll post it now as an upadted Line Art.

The cuddly toy's a nice idea... I'll just have to improve my knitting skills.

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 03:58 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147618730_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147618730_large.jpg)

A little update... and a very rough Line Art.

Colours next.

(cheers theresa!)

individium
05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
nice to see youre back i was afraid youre going to leave this monkey unfinished

walrus
05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Good to see you posting again, Jonny! Were you guys all on an E3 crunch? Or were you working on another cool magazine article?

The perspective, especially on the left, is bothering me a little: The men are leaning left towards one vanishing point, but the buildings are leaning right towards the moon and another vanishing point. It's not nearly pronounced on the right side, and I thik that's what bothers me the most: It should be the same. Me, I don't mind the 2 v.p.s, only that they it's not symettrical across the piece. So if you're going to be inconsistent, be consistantly inconsistant! :)

But I'm not worried about your ability to get this done. You pulled it out with less time last challenge, I'm sure you're quite on your way yet again. Good luck!

-mike

flyingP
05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
She sleeps all night and laughs and smiles all day

:eek:

want to trade ?

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 05:12 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147623149_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147623149_large.jpg)

Just another tweak to the Line Art!

(Cheers Mike! Did a transfrom on the guards either side to match 'em up with the vanishing point!)

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 05:15 PM
:eek:

want to trade ?

hahaha... we can't believe our luck half the time. Although, just as i pressed 'reply' i heard her screaming downstairs! Must be another 'learning to walk' accident!

And i know you wouldn't trade....

individium: Cheers! And i can't leave it unfinished! Hopefully it'll get done by the end of next week!

AlyFell
05-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi Mr D!

Glad you're going to try and finish this. And interesting you're using pre-dominantly Painter as well. The line art looks fab.

I'm not going to get mine done... again! I've been too busy, so I'm quite sad at that, but it's good I suppose...

How's the house?

Aly.

duddlebug
05-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Glad you're going to try and finish this. And interesting you're using pre-dominantly Painter as well. The line art looks fab.

I'm not going to get mine done... again! I've been too busy, so I'm quite sad at that, but it's good I suppose...

How's the house?

Hi ALy

I hope you've had lots of 'fun busy'...?

I'm not sure i'll get it done... but i'll try my best. Lots of work work to do and we're off to Wales camping for a few days next week. But i'll give it a shot. Shame you're not gonna finish... And i see you've taken on the LMS2 thunderdome with MAtt!? Bonkers! (i had a real good think about it but was worried it'd be too much of a strain!)

No offer on the house yet...Boo!!

We need another night in the Sun Inn... in a couple of weeks perhaps?

beelow
05-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Welcome back duddle, good luck waiting to see ur progress bud, hope to see this in the end dude!:thumbsup:

EDit:You entering the thunderdome at all, over at CA?

AlyFell
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi ALy

I hope you've had lots of 'fun busy'...?

I'm not sure i'll get it done... but i'll try my best. Lots of work work to do and we're off to Wales camping for a few days next week. But i'll give it a shot. Shame you're not gonna finish... And i see you've taken on the LMS2 thunderdome with MAtt!? Bonkers! (i had a real good think about it but was worried it'd be too much of a strain!)

No offer on the house yet...Boo!!

We need another night in the Sun Inn... in a couple of weeks perhaps?

Camping! In May, in the UK! You're mad you are! ;) But I 'spose the van'll keep you nice and warm... remember what happened last time you went camping in Wales... ;)

The house'll go soon... I'm sure. BTW, you heard they were going to build a Tesco's on the ESSO garage lot? Erk!

Sun Inn.... defo! I'll text you...

artvandeley
05-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey, you´re still in the game. That´s good news.
Love your concept and style :)

duddlebug
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147779267_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147779267_large.jpg)

I did a quick-ish paint over of the line art in Painter IX... about an hour or so fiddling with Painter's lovely brushes.

You're gonna have to bear with me with Painter because i've just started using it and have (rather foolishly?) decided to use it for my challenge piece.

These are base colours and i've painted out a ton of detail but there's a whole load of painting and detailing to go over the top of this.

The whole imge to come in a couple of minutes...

duddlebug
05-16-2006, 12:36 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147779362_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147779362_large.jpg)

And here's the whole image with the base colours blocked in...

More to come later..?

duddlebug
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Beelow: Cheers Bryce! And nope... i decided that i've got too much on to get into the Thunderdome! Although i've been pretty close a few times over the last couple of days... i even typed a reply tyoday and then changed my mind again!

posh: A tesco!? It's gonna have to be a diddy one, innit? Speak soon about da beer...

artvandeley: Thanks! I'm still in and hoping that i get time to get it finished!

Mythmaker
05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Looks great already! I really hope you can get it finished...

Don't feel too bad about Painter - I've been using IX since about October, and I'm still getting to grips with it! In fact, I switched from acrilic brushes to oil brushes a few hours ago, and I feel more comfy with those... Those are the standard oils by the way - not the artists oils (cool though the are...).

Keep going! :thumbsup:

duddlebug
05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Don't feel too bad about Painter - I've been using IX since about October, and I'm still getting to grips with it! In fact, I switched from acrilic brushes to oil brushes a few hours ago, and I feel more comfy with those... Those are the standard oils by the way - not the artists oils (cool though the are...).

I know what you mean about the brushes... I really want to work in the oils and artists' oils but it's just so weird and different to my normal working practices in Photoshop. Most of this was done with a wet round gouache which seems to blend and mix nicely...

Art2
05-16-2006, 01:08 PM
... have (rather foolishly?) decided to use it for my challenge piece.

Haha, I was planning to use digital watercolor for my entry, but I chickened out :D
I use my beloved oils instead :)

Great start! Looking lovely already.
Don't forget to put a (huge) hammer and sickle (or some other Soviet landmark) on one of those buildings :)

MattDixon
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Glad to see it moving along, Jonny.

He's giving mini Chimpski a goodbye hug before trotting off to that rocket in the background, yes? I think everyone will assume that, but I also think it would be possible to see this as Chimpski's triumphant return ( 'the journey ends' if you like ) as there's nothing to confirm that the rocket's about to launch, or that our simian pioneer is about to travel towards it.

A big timer with COUNTDOWN written on it on top of one of the buildings might be a bit crude, but have you got any plans to add anything like that to reinforce that this is a beginning rather than an end? The only things that pop into my head - having Chimpski with his foot on a ladder leading up the side of the rocket or reversing the viewpoint so he's facing the rocket, showing it's presence with a giant cast shadow on the buildings behind - are still a bit ambiguous and would mean fiddling about with your composition.

Hmm. Maybe a little too much analysis going on in my head. Is it a nice piccy? Yes. Job done, then - probably best not to pay much attention to the random wafflings of bored blokes starting their afternoon by poking around on art forums.

Looking forward to the finish! :D

duddlebug
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
A big timer with COUNTDOWN written on it on top of one of the buildings might be a bit crude, but have you got any plans to add anything like that to reinforce that this is a beginning rather than an end? The only things that pop into my head - having Chimpski with his foot on a ladder leading up the side of the rocket or reversing the viewpoint so he's facing the rocket, showing it's presence with a giant cast shadow on the buildings behind - are still a bit ambiguous and would mean fiddling about with your composition.

Hi Matt! Surely you can't be too bored?? There must be plenty to do... And i see you've bitten the bullet on the Last Man Standing sequel... maybe you'll come up against Aly at some point! :eek:

HmmMm... I'd never really thought about the possibility of it being a return. I might include a counter somewhere, but it might just look like a clock unless, like you say, it says 'countdown', or 'launch', in a nice russian-esque typeface perhaps? Or i could take the really easy route and call the image 'Farewell Chimpski: Hero of the Soviet Union'..? I have thought about adding a small case alongside him, but that doesn't help either way i 'spose. I'm also hoping that having all the radar and most other point bits in the composition pointing at the moon will suggest that he's heading moonwards. And there's a little Mrs.Chimpski bottom right who's gonna be blubbing into her hankie.

Give Aly a cuddle from me.... :)

Art2: The hammer and sickle's a good idea... cheers! And i've not tried the digital watercolour yet. There's just too many things to play with in Painter!

MrFreeman
05-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Nice work Jonny - and good to see you back in the challenge...

Love the new composition....

I'm still using Painter 8 but the brushes are something else - I wish I had discovered it earlier, but after trying Painter Classic I stuck with Photoshop / quantel paintbox for last 10 years...

Oils and Blenders are best, though still prefer the airbrush in Photoshop which is cleaner...ooops rambling now...sorry... too much red wine at lunch

Hope it doesn't / didn't rain too much in Wales :) :)

domclubb
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
nice composition. i hope you finish this cos i love that character. I've also been getting to grips to painter. i still do my basic colouring in photoshop but i use the course oil blender in painter for blending my colors. i love that brush!
good luck with your painting.

duddlebug
05-17-2006, 09:00 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147852844_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9647/9647_1147852844_large.jpg)

I've done a bit of fiddling with the proportions of Chimpski...

The arm supporting Chimpski Jnr was bothering me and i've made Chimpski's head bigger. Hopefully his pose reads as a little more dynamic..?

And i'm still a little concerned about getting this done on time with my workload and my camping trip.

Ho hum.

paperclip
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Careful, baby's getting lost in there! I think you should make the sky a tiny bit more desaturated, to really play off that orange. This is coming along fantastically!

KOryH
05-18-2006, 03:08 AM
I haven't been here in a while. It is looking nice.
I agree with the earlier comment about inswerting some moe story elements if at all possible. the countdown timer is a good one. A crowd with signs would be another. I am sure you could figure it out.
OK for a quick crit. If it is supposed to be at night then the reds would be less saturated.
If they are lit by artificial light then the sky would be darker. a underlit lighting solution would be perfect for this I bet. It would also bring the focus down to the character. You could have the light fade vertically to make the rockets and stuff mostly sillouetted in the sky. I could imaginie being pretty cool lighting. like green fluorecent to make his ornge suit pop.

And finally for the Painter thing. I enjot oil pastels it's like painting and drawing at the same time. with a simple digital watercolor wash from time to time. and when I am crazy, a modified fuzzy bristle brush to soften edges.

Good luck!

jeromoo
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Nice and touching scene, Jonny! I know how baby chimps can be so adorable! Like Paperclip said, the baby sort of blends into the astronaut suit. Perhaps a white cloth wrapping it up into a bundle will bring it to attention better, no?

I hope you can finish it in time because it is a very cute piece! All the best, duddlebug!

walrus
05-18-2006, 04:30 PM
We'll, if we're all going to over-analyzye everything, doesn't the mere fact that there's a rocket in the picture indicate that it's the beginning of the journey? After all, those things are all one-use thruster-rockets. If it were the end of the journey, he'd be in a splash-down capsule, just the lander.

So just keep moving forward, stress over the finicky details later, and worry about your own countdown timer in the mean-time! :)

-mike

Glosep
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I like the idea, much better than your other sketchs.
I'm agree with paperclip about the monkey baby.
Until now all looks great, hope you finish. Keep going.

beelow
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I pick up beginning of journey with this entry, so I have no problem the way it is looking, work on, johnny!:thumbsup: You may change your mind again haha, on TD, peace dude will be back to leave a few words, on the final entry!:thumbsup:

medunecer
05-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Very nice image and idea! The space between his "low" head and the helmet is great!

VOO
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Well Duddle. We've tried everything else.
Text's don't work, phone calls, e-mail, all a no go.
Guessed maybe the only way to get a response from you these days was on a CG talk forum.

Your picture is lovely, now call your friends in the real world occaisionally!
And don't make me have to embarace you infront of your computer generated friends again!

OZOZOZ
05-29-2006, 10:03 PM
i've been watching your thread almost every day during last two weeks waiting for your final image! it could be one of the most favourable works to get the prize! i suppose you made a lot of people disapoinded not finishing this work. :sad:

Dalton-Muniz
05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh man..., I aggree with Ozoz.. Its sad to see a piece with so much pontential unfinished.:(
Chippinsky was one of my favorytes ones.

individium
05-30-2006, 12:06 AM
man thats really sad to see you couldnt make it. i agree with ozozoz and dalton muniz about you being close to an award. i think one of the posts you made was already nearly finished and a winner: the one with chimpsky on the tree.

anyhow i hope to see your picture finished.

see you at next challenge

Squibbit
05-30-2006, 12:24 AM
yea really woulda been nice too see this finished ( in time :) )

ah, well, see u in the next one :thumbsup:

duddlebug
07-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Thought i'd chuck in a quick post before things get too exciting with the looming results! (Can't wait to see who the winners will be)

I've been a bit quiet on the forums for the last month or so and unfortunately missed the deadline, but i had some decent excuses (again). Going freelance was a big thing and i landed a 6 month concepting contract which had to take priority so i can feed my family. I've also been doing some more work for 'Imagine FX' and the most recent workshops have been based on my Chimpski story, so i was worried there was a bit of a conflict of interest going on...

But Chimpski's not dead! As a matter of fact, in my most recent illustration, he's soaking up some rays on the moon after a crash landing. Here's the first Chimpski image i did for IFX. There's two more done but i can't post them until publication. I'll upload them to my portfolio as the get published.

http://www.duddlebug.co.uk/images/03_Gumpf/2006/ChimpskiStamp_Splash.jpg

And i thought it'd be polite to respond to the peeps who commented and dropped by:

paperclip: Thanks for all your input and sorry i didn't get it done. But i will finish it. I'm thinking of making this illustration into a wraparound comic cover for a pitch for a Chimpski comic, so i'll bear your comments in mind!

KOryH: Cheers! Great suggestions and i'll make use of them as i rework the image. Painter's growing on me! The three workshops for IFX were done in Painter as a bit of a challenge! (the workshops were about starting out with Painter when you're used to Photoshop!) So far i've got quite into Oils, Artists Oils, Gouache and Digital Watercolour!

jeromoo: Didn't finish... Sorry. But it'll be back! And Chimpski Jnr will be in there too...

walrus: Hmmm. I think my countdown timer malfunctioned.... :) (Great to see your piece in IFX by the way!)

snowan: Thanks!

beelow: Haha... I never changed my mind on the TD. I hope you've got yours done with the few days left to run...

medunecer: Cheers! And I've stuck with the cavernous helmet for the new Chimpski stuff.

VOO: Ha! You can talk. You never listen to your answer machine.... :rolleyes:

OZOZOZ and Dalton_Muniz: I'm really sorry... But i didn't think it was worth rushing. There's a lot going on ion this illustration and i'll finish it soon. I'll post it somewhere on CGtalk when i do! And Chimpski is still alive and kicking...

individium: Thanks! Chimpski in the tree was a piece i did for an IFX article header after the challenge started. It was another character development piece really. And, as i've said, this piece will get finished soon.

Squibbit: You know it's always a lottery whether i get a CGtalk challenge finished on time. I think i'm on a 40/60 completion rate at the moment. New jobs, Babies and RSI have all conspired against me in the past! i guess i'll have to make sure i finish the next one just to get that rate up to 50/50... sigh... :shrug:

Thanks again for all the comments, views and suggestions. I hope people will still pop by next time round. I'm starting to feel a bit like the Boy Who Cried Wolf with these challenges. Hmmmmm. I promise to finish the next one.... SO when is it? Huh? Huh?

walrus
07-07-2006, 01:07 AM
(Great to see your piece in IFX by the way!)

Thanks... I haven't seen it myself yet! Rob tells me it's on the way...
I really hope it has one of your articles about starting off in Painter when you're only used to Photoshop in it. I fall into that category and would love to read your advice! Wonder if I can get the other 2 in the series too... hmmm!
Anyhow, glad to hear things are going well for you. Busy is a good state to be in when you're freelancing! :)

-mike

duddlebug
07-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks... I haven't seen it myself yet! Rob tells me it's on the way...

That's no fun! I'm sure it'll turn up soon... Rob's a man of his word! :)

Meanwhile... check your pm's in about 20mins...

(And the Chimpski image above is in the same issue! With my accompanying Painter confusion!)

MichaelZHsee
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
i hope u'd be able to make it in the next challenge.were u in the TD ?i just submited mine though~a very rough one:scream: see ya in again mate

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.