PDA

View Full Version : Max 8 Service Pack 2 Out

jcorpe
02-28-2006, 06:42 AM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=6845920&linkID=5573636

Didn't see it posted before.

urgaffel
02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
That was fast. Thanks for the heads up :)

Brian-Bradley
02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up

Bri

krishki
02-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Cool ... thanks for the update

mikepolizos
02-28-2006, 01:11 PM
cool thanks

sconlogue
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
As a subscription member you would think an informative e-mail from Autodesk might have come by now. Nope. Thank god for CGtalk!

psyop63b
02-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Thank the 3D gods for this!!! I have been struggling with the following issue for nearly 3 weeks http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=319540 and SP2 apparently corrects this problem.

jcorpe
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I almost didn't post it because I assumed Autodesk would have sent out an email or posted on this website. I just stumbled across it while I was looking for some support documentation. The thing that sucks is that I just sent our IT guy on his rounds to update the render farm with SP1 and he's almost done. Now the question is, do I risk getting b**tch slapped?

psyop63b
02-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Double post... check below.

psyop63b
02-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Send this link below to your IT guy... He should be able to do the job much faster this way.

From: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/3dsmax8SP2_readme.rtf

How to deploy the SP2 to multiple machines on a network

You can use the techniques explained in the Network Deployment Guide (NetInstallGuide.pdf in the Manuals folder on your original 3ds Max 8 product DVD or CD) to update a large number of workstations to 3ds Max 8 SP2. The main difference is that instead of calling an .MSI file from the clients, you call the .MSP patch file.

Download this file from the support download site: Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp

Next, create a batch routine using the following syntax:

%comspec% /c msiexec /p \\myserver\Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp /passive

NOTE: The /qx switch specifies what level of UI will be displayed. “/passive” specifies no UI whatsoever, suppressing all prompts and therefore useful for silent installations. When attempting to debug your script, you can switch this to “/qb”, which will display basic modal dialogs.

3) IMPORTANT: Ensure that all Backburner and 3ds Max processes and services have been stopped on each workstation before running the batch routine. If Backburner or 3ds Max processes are running, an error will occur which will prevent installation of the service pack. If you are running the patch with the /qn switch, you will not see the error dialog indicating that the update has failed.

In addition to patching existing client installations, you can also create an updated version of the original install image, which can in turn be deployed in one step to new machines that have not had 3ds Max 8 installed. This requires creating an administrative image of the original installer, and then you can use the following syntax to update that image:

msiexec /a [path to administrative image .msi file] /p Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp

jcorpe
02-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks psyop63b. I'll just have to see what he says. I looked at some of the fixes and it may not be critical for me to update it yet anyway (no character animation in the work I do).

gigatron
02-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Send this link below to your IT guy... He should be able to do the job much faster this way.

From: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/3dsmax8SP2_readme.rtf

How to deploy the SP2 to multiple machines on a network

You can use the techniques explained in the Network Deployment Guide (NetInstallGuide.pdf in the Manuals folder on your original 3ds Max 8 product DVD or CD) to update a large number of workstations to 3ds Max 8 SP2. The main difference is that instead of calling an .MSI file from the clients, you call the .MSP patch file.

Download this file from the support download site: Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp

Next, create a batch routine using the following syntax:

%comspec% /c msiexec /p \\myserver\Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp /passive

NOTE: The /qx switch specifies what level of UI will be displayed. “/passive” specifies no UI whatsoever, suppressing all prompts and therefore useful for silent installations. When attempting to debug your script, you can switch this to “/qb”, which will display basic modal dialogs.

3) IMPORTANT: Ensure that all Backburner and 3ds Max processes and services have been stopped on each workstation before running the batch routine. If Backburner or 3ds Max processes are running, an error will occur which will prevent installation of the service pack. If you are running the patch with the /qn switch, you will not see the error dialog indicating that the update has failed.

In addition to patching existing client installations, you can also create an updated version of the original install image, which can in turn be deployed in one step to new machines that have not had 3ds Max 8 installed. This requires creating an administrative image of the original installer, and then you can use the following syntax to update that image:

msiexec /a [path to administrative image .msi file] /p Setup_3dsmax8_SP2.msp

Thanks alot bro :)

erilaz
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Brilliant! Thanks for that!:)

Autodesk has been quite prompt at delivering updates recently.

LuKa
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Some service pack.... My Max don't even start after installation of this SP (or better POS). Way to go Autodesk. :applause:

Ibanezhead
03-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Max has crashed on me 3 or 4 times today after installing the sp yesterday. Mostly when opening and closing scenes, plus some merging...

ih

Brian-Bradley
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Installed yesterday and not a single problem since.
Happy camper indeed.:)

Bri

psyop63b
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
luka: I'm confused, are you saying you are having problems now? Why are you clapping? :surprised

lbanez: You might want to try a repair install from your max disk.

sconlogue
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I am having no problems either. Win XP 64 for so I was a bit nervous. Crossing my fingers. Combustion 4 still crahses on my all the time though, when will they have a service pack for that??? That fixes anything anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.