PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Ego Lataire

Ego
02-28-2006, 04:45 AM
Ego Lataire is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9596)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Environment Test 1
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1143979250_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3413370#post3413370)

Rebeccak
02-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Go Queensoul!!! :bounce:

Matellis
02-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Hey! this should be a fun ride!!! cant wait to see some wips :)

MichaelZHsee
02-28-2006, 04:58 AM
goodluck queensoul:)enjoy the challenge

Ego
02-28-2006, 04:59 AM
So my little super secret agent fairies whispered in my ears while I was asleep. I jumped up in bed yelling, ' The challenge is here'. And it sure is. Here's to the next few months of an exciting learning journey.

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 04:59 AM
Weeeee go queensoul :D

Ego
02-28-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks Becca, Michael, Matt and Jannis. Now I have to go read the rules of engagement.

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Hello Queenie! have fun girl!

xric7
02-28-2006, 05:32 AM
hi,queen...have a nice journey here.:bounce: :D :buttrock:

SheepFactory
02-28-2006, 06:46 AM
woot! best of luck with the challenge! You better finish this one I'll make sure to bug you everyday :)

digital-bobert
02-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Good luck to you!! I wish you all the best

erilaz
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Hey? HEY? What did I say huh? :D

This is going to be a blast.

makaron
02-28-2006, 07:18 AM
http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/smile/bbbb.jpg
good luck on your journey...

Ego
02-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Ali: haha, Ali. Thanks. I'll be sure to stay on your butt too to make sure you finish. :P
Bobby: Its an honor to have you drop by
Martin: Yes, we've been waiting so much for this
Aggie : Hey buddy. Long time no see since you dropped out of irc. We are still there :D
Makaron: Thank you for subscribing
xric7: I wish you the same :)

Now to go and work on my first concept.

MVDB
02-28-2006, 07:40 AM
There always must be a queen to lead this challenge.. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Icarus
02-28-2006, 07:41 AM
all the best ego, good luck :D

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Yeah i know queensoul been so busy and i forgot the adress :cry:

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Queenaaaaay :bounce: go, go! *hugs* lots of luck, want to see some sketches!

Mu
02-28-2006, 08:59 AM
*bows*

her majesty has been humbly added to my list of must-read challenge threads...

Vive la Queensoul!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Good luck Ego! I'll be lurking around this thread, I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of concept you come up with this one, maybe an african journey? Yes, I snuck into your house and checked your sketchbook, haha...

Good luck and more importantly, have fun!

DimitrisLiatsos
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Queenie :bounce:

Ego
02-28-2006, 10:01 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141120914_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141120914_large.jpg)

A study of some characters I intend to use for my theme.

I am rummaging through ideas. I know I have to come up with a solid one and start working on it because as you all know, am a slooooooooow poke.
My concept is an old king passes away and his only heir is his very young son. Before the throne must pass to the young son , the old king must be buried in the kingdom of the dead kings. So this in essence is a double journey... The beginning of the old king's journey to the kingdom of kings and that of his son to rule the new kingdom.
Ok, gotta work this out now in a picture :P

Ego
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
@Tyr: Thanks Buddy and welcome to my thread
@Elsie: Hi there werewolf, thanks for subscribing. I know I can always count on you.
@Theresa: Welcome to my journey thread. African concept huh? We'll see what the muse comes up with.
@Dimi: Yeah, thanks for subscribing.
@Mr Mu: Hi there ;) Thank you for the support :D

jmBoekestein
02-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Wow you's a fast one EGo! Good luck on this, looks like you got a head full a dem apples so. :)

:bounce:

Zapan
02-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey Queenie !!

Onto sketching already ? you're really fast lady !

Have a lots of fun and best of luck !

cheers ,

-Zapan

sergioKomic
02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
That was fast.... good luck!:thumbsup:

Ego
02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Thank you Jan-Mark, Stephane and Sergio and Michael. Playing with sketches is fun. The real pain comes in the digital painting :D

Carina
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Wee, good luck chick!

Like the middle character!

x

JTD
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I agree about digital painting being difficult as I am only a pen and ink illustrator at heart. This contest I'm going to push myself and I'll be pulling for you as well.

P.S. I love the story behind your sketch.:thumbsup:

AkaKico
02-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Best of luck Queeny! I've got a buncha people to root for these days but it should be a fun trip :D

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
i like the concept very much ego . the idea of the double journey is great .:D

Lyneran
02-28-2006, 07:31 PM
yay queenie! i like your concept so far. have a blast and best of luck! :bounce:

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Good luck Ego! Interesting idea, double themed! Thankyou for stopping by my thread! :)

Gord-MacDonald
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey Queenie - this is gonna be fun! Good Luck :thumbsup:

Gord

erilaz
03-01-2006, 06:19 AM
The queensoul in da house! Great little start. I want more dammit! MORE!

SheepFactory
03-01-2006, 07:05 AM
I like the guy in the middle a lot!

M.E.L.
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
looks cool, better finish this or I'll be bustin your chops for sure!

-s

Elsie
03-01-2006, 08:57 AM
looks cool, better finish this or I'll be bustin your chops for sure!

Ditto, c'mon Ego, stop working on something else and hop to it :D chop chop! We need more than a photo of your wacom pen as an end result this time!

Ego
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Ditto, c'mon Ego, stop working on something else and hop to it :D chop chop! We need more than a photo of your wacom pen as an end result this time!
No wacom photo, no ma'am :p
Heya, Ali, Aly, Mel and Gord. Thanks for dropping by.
lol Shawn, I believe you! :scream:
I am working on making a few compositions and I'll also post some other concepts today :)

Llynna
03-02-2006, 03:05 AM
hey hey auntie ego :D

great to see you here again and with some nice goblins :thumbsup:

keep it up and dont get all nooooo i wont finish it in the middle ;). ailsa and me will keep bugging you to go through with it.

going to subscribe so you dont have to poke me :D

Ego
03-02-2006, 09:17 AM
I am now working on another concept. Not that I've dismissed the first one but this one has me a bit excited as I can try and emulate some of the palettes of the old masters that I love.
In this concept, the nymphs or sirens have discovered two cribs ..inside them are two human babies/twins. The neighboring city has a law that the birth of twins signifies bad luck and they kill twins immediately after birth. A cunning mother has dropped her bundles of joy in a basket and watched them sail away hoping that someone from another place or realm will save them.

GAME PLAN
Character Development: I will spend a vast amount of time doing character studies for this project. The characters will be serene, clean and playful. Some partial nudity may be involved, but very tasteful.

Composition: Putting it all together. After am sure of the characters, I'll then tackle composition and fight my perspective demons. :D

Coloring: Making it look pretty

My whole intent is to put some things I've learnt to practice, to learn from myself and from the kind folks who will stop by my thread and other folks that I visit. Above all to have fun.

Update will be coming in short time :D

So what do you think? :D

erilaz
03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds like a great plan! Hmm... a plan... now why didn't I think of that?:D

Icarus
03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
GAME PLAN
Character Development: I will spend a vast amount of time doing character studies for this project. The characters will be serene, clean and playful. Some partial nudity may be involved, but very tasteful.

Composition: Putting it all together. After am sure of the characters, I'll then tackle composition and fight my perspective demons. :D

Coloring: Making it look pretty

My whole intent is to put some things I've learnt to practice, to learn from myself and from the kind folks who will stop by my thread and other folks that I visit. Above all to have fun.

Update will be coming in short time :D

So what do you think? :D

Sounds awsome, really go hard with the character development, in my opinion a strong character base is always something which needs to be established early on, so it can dictate the rest of the works/image/project, with that down, i think everything else will fall into place, all the best Ego, good luck :)

TyR-

Tagger
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
all that AND have fun? you're realy thinking big, Ego :P

no realy, sounds like a nice idea... two thumbs up !

Agamemnwn
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
great plan Ego . I was thinking about the composition . if you put that first and establish the shot ( which is the difficult part me thinks from personal experience) it would be easier then to focus on the characters after u have blocked the composition and now how u are going to sketch the characters :D

Ego
03-02-2006, 09:37 AM
great plan Ego . I was thinking about the composition . if you put that first and establish the shot ( which is the difficult part me thinks from personal experience) it would be easier then to focus on the characters after u have blocked the composition and now how u are going to sketch the characters :D

I thought hard about that. I usually have that big problem with perspective and environment. And in trying to fix those areas, I fail miserably, then I usually loose faith and give up the entire project. So I am trying to do it the other way round. I have an idea how I want the characters situated. I have two ideas for the environment. So if I can have a strong feeling of the real estate of the nymphs and the baskets, then I'll expand out from there. It doesn't mean that I wont be putting dots and dashes here and there. Its a thought. Thank god I have you guys to tug me when am screwing it up (as usual). :P

@Britta: Ha you know me well. My passion for William Bouguereau is public knowledge. So I'll try my puny best.
@Tyr: Thanks Buddy.
@Tagger: Thanks for stopping by Tags.
@Martin: tsk tsk, never too late :D

mark-jenkins
03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Good Luck with this Queenie!
I think the William Bouguereau copying is going to have to take a back seat for both of us while this contest is running!!

Silgrin
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
It seems somebody has followed the rules quite exactly, at least :) They look like hobbits... I`m looking fwd what will you create at the end.

Ego
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141309581_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141309581_large.jpg)

My new concept explores a scene where a community of sea creatures/urchins/sirens/nymphs (I havent decided on which), stumble upon a human twin babies in a basket. They have been washed down the sea by the tide. This is a character study of one of the many different nymph studies that will be in the scene.

erilaz
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I like the floaty etheralness of it Ego, but don't skimp on those hands just because it's a concept sketch! :D

Ego
03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
I like the floaty etheralness of it Ego, but don't skimp on those hands just because it's a concept sketch! :D
Haha, I should point out that although she looks a lot human, she is not human, so am going to change a few of her assets to look different. The hands will definitely be longer and I should also mention that she does not have a tail. Part of her body will be submerged in water.

Elsie
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey, I like that concept Ego ^^ Gives the opportunity for many pretty colours...whee...

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Beautiful sketch, Queenie! I am so impressed with how far you've come! :applause:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

MVDB
03-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I am now working on another concept. Not that I've dismissed the first one but this one has me a bit excited as I can try and emulate some of the palettes of the old masters that I love.
In this concept, the nymphs or sirens have discovered two cribs ..inside them are two human babies/twins. The neighboring city has a law that the birth of twins signifies bad luck and they kill twins immediately after birth. A cunning mother has dropped her bundles of joy in a basket and watched them sail away hoping that someone from another place or realm will save them.

First idea was good me think. The one with the king and his son..

The concept idea with the twins is stronger me think.. I like this one very much. Looking forward for this one!
:thumbsup:

Agamemnwn
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
i like her very much Ego . and the way her hair is moving in a etheric way . :D

Carina
03-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Wee! A sketch! Very nice one too:)

Right, more, now, chop chop.

Ego
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141735806_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1141735806_large.jpg)

While I was working to put together the journey of the baby found by nymphs, I decided to digress and post my other concept. This one has to do with the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden.

Ego
03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
So for this EXPULSION concept I 've decided to do a little general first take composition of the piece. This one to me is the ultimate beginning of all journeys. The couple that had everything but were thrown out into the wild wild world and will for the first time face a number of obstacles. To survive, they'll have to fend for themselves, cultivate the land, hunt, and multiply, for the very first time.

I hope to present Eden as a lush, beautiful place, filled with greens, food, and the new journey will basically be 'barren' compared to Eden.

Agamemnwn
03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
awesome Ego , never thought about it . amazing concept and the emotion of the image will be great :D cant wait to see more of this .

erilaz
03-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Great idea Ego.. I'm guessing you're going to need some plant reference huh? ;)

How will you show the contrast of lush to barren?

Ego
03-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Great idea Ego.. I'm guessing you're going to need some plant reference huh? ;)

How will you show the contrast of lush to barren?

Aggie: Thanks. That was actually one of the first ideas that came to me, but I've been thinking about how to carry out its actual execution so it tells the story but set it a little bit apart from the numerous images that tell the same tale. I sure hope I can do that.

Martin: References? Oh yes you know am gonna be knocking on your door. :) We had purchased a stock photo CDs that have plants and trees awhile back when we started web designing. I'll have to see if I can still find it. I think the land on the 'earth' side will be rough, lots of desert-like sand and plants but some areas should still show potential for growth (with hard work).
I think that even though their creator was angry at them, he didnt want to kill them, he just wanted not to spoil them anymore, and to make them fend for themselves.

Carina
03-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Really like the new concept. Would be nice with a smooth transition between lush and barren, more subtle.. Of course, that might be what you're aiming for anyway since this is just a rough idea.

Liking it though, looking forward to more:)

NOOB!
03-07-2006, 02:12 PM
great concept,i'm liking the garden of eden thing, i think u should be allot clearer,or a tad more blatent about it though,like,u cud do one of your characters dropping a half eaten apple as a reference to the story.

Art2
03-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Great new concept Queenie!

Gord-MacDonald
03-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Queenie - Good one - enormous potential for this one!

Gord

Ego
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Carina[/b]]Really like the new concept. Would be nice with a smooth transition between lush and barren, more subtle.. Of course, that might be what you're aiming for anyway since this is just a rough idea.

Liking it though, looking forward to more

Heya Carin: Yeah, I am thinking of sudden change. But these are early days yet, so lets see how it plays out.

NOOB!][/b]great concept,i'm liking the garden of eden thing, i think u should be allot clearer,or a tad more blatent about it though,like,u cud do one of your characters dropping a half eaten apple as a reference to the story.
Thanks for the suggestion NOOB.

Marlon: ;) Thanks buddy. Lets hope my puny skills can at least work on the painting hard enough to convey the story. But I'll be fun trying, and for
sure a lot of fun getting there.

Gord: Thanks as usual for your support. Am gonna need every support I can get :P

Now off to start sketching the characters.

umbrellasky
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Oooo great idea! I look forward to seeing what idea you decide to run with :)

Elsie
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Great idea Ego - and that's a beautiful sketch on the previous page! Good to see some more missus...tum ti tum...waiting for the development now :D

Ego
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
madaleine :Thanks for stopping by :)
Elsie : Thanks.
Updates will be slow this week. I'll love to work out the two scenes complete on paper and then post them to see which one flows better in line with the theme.

W-I-L
03-08-2006, 09:30 PM
great idea.... will wait and see when you paint to comment further

DimitrisLiatsos
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
:thumbsup: Yup...i like the last one very much ..this could be huge with the waterfall back side and the bridge aside leading away from Eden. :bounce:

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Queenie,

Whereya going with this? Will the image of the girl still be included? :)

~Rebeccak

Ego
03-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Wil : Hello, nice to see you. Me too, I cant wait to see how it turns out on paper.
Dimi: This will require ample planning so I can pull it off. I have to find me a dvd on environment design.
If I draw it and it gets too complicated, I'll wimp out and go for a simplistic image. I just dont want it to look like any of the numerous Adam and Eve images out there. So am putting you on notice that I'll bug you to death :P

Becca: Yes there will be characters there. I dont know if I'll reuse this character I already drew for this theme.
She is part of the sirens/baby concept. But, there will be Adam and Eve, there will be some angels too.

Rebeccak
03-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Sounds cool, Queenie. :)

Squibbit
03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
could maybe work on the composition a bit more, makin the paradise take a bit more
space, or less even, with a different angle.. ahum. don't really know at this stage, just
throwin some ideas

paperclip
03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
The main suggestion I would make now is to work on the perspective- maybe lower it more so that the ground only covers the bottom third, with the plants all around there and the desert stretching off to the right, then you have Adam and Eve being driven out....

just a suggestion, you're doing really well Ego, it's fun to watch you develop that style you've got going there. :)

Rebeccak
03-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Time to bust out the Reference, Queenie baby! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Ego
03-10-2006, 05:49 AM
@Sir Squibs: Yes am working up the environment in different ways . Its currently not in showable state :P
Theresa: Thanks for your suggestion honey. yep, Perspective will be one of my major battles on this one. All ideas are certainly welcome. And on a side note, I just heard about your cat.
*hugs* So sorry to hear that. Stupid drivers!
Beccalicious: References? Oh yes you know it. Poor Martin, I've been harassing the life out of him. But am looking through some cds I have now.

erilaz
03-12-2006, 12:34 PM
*Looks at his watch*

*tap tap tap tap*:wip:

Ego
03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
*Looks at his watch*

*tap tap tap tap*:wip:
Thanks for the tap honey. :) Working on my portfolio and website this week. Updates will start next week.

TheFirstAngel
03-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Lol, Hi queeny, just sticking my nosy nose into your tread to see how's the painting progressing. hehe, cant wait to see :) burst your nitros!

Ego
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Lol, Hi queeny, just sticking my nosy nose into your tread to see how's the painting progressing. hehe, cant wait to see :) burst your nitros!
hehe, thanks honey. Yes its funny :) Reckon I'll be able to start and finish within the remaining time? :D

Zapan
03-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Hiya Queenie !

jeez , I didn't drop by here for a while ... but the new concept is really sweet to me , I just love that idea !! I pretty hope you're gonna go for that one ...

cheers ,

-Zapan

Ego
04-02-2006, 01:00 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1143979250_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9596/9596_1143979250_large.jpg)

I am trying to present an environment that will show the difference between the world the characters have been evicted from and the new world they are going to, without the harsh conflict in the previous image.

imashination
04-02-2006, 01:47 PM
With my vast artistic knowledge and ability all I'll say is that I would think of a better camera angle. The concept is nice, but it all looks a bit impersonal, as the characters will (I assume) be small specs in the middle going from right to left.

I would suggest you make the destination in the centre of the image. In my head I can envisage the lower edges of the image showing the old world and whats bad about it (desert, barren, thorns, animal carcasses...) and have the characters coming up of the crest of a hill with the camera behind them. Their desination in the middle of the frame glowing with warm inviting colours. This way you can have a close view of what theyre leaving, a focal point of the destination and we could be close enough to the characters to get some detail on them.

erilaz
04-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I would like to see more of this Ego. The landscape suggests something vast and cruel, but I think I need a clearer idea in the presentation of it. Can't wait to see the developments.

LoTekK
04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Heya Queenie, you've picked a toughie, that's for sure. It's going to be difficult to allow the characters to occupy the foreground while also depicting the contrast between their former home, and the land they now find themselves in, while also maintaining an epic sort of feel. That said, a possible suggestion would be to employ one of them funky fisheye-type perspectives (continuous perspective? I forget, there was a term for that). Of course, the main difficulty with that will be the actual execution. Not easy, obviously, but it's something to keep in mind. :)

Ego
04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
@Matthew, Martin, LotekK, I appreciate your taking out the time to come and read this my boring thread. It means a lot to me. I've copied down your suggestions. I'll put down some colors and pluck the characters in tomorrow and see what the scene will look like.

The biggest problem I face is making sure attention is not taken from the actual people making the journey which is Adam and Eve. This is why am trying to just present a little bit of Eden and a whole lot of the new earth. I realize this is gonna be hard. *starts sweating*

Ok, more drawing and less writing for me.
*waves.

Samanthie
04-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Great concept and it may be hard but you have lots of time yet. Looking forward to seeing those characters! Good luck Queensoul!:)

umbrellasky
04-02-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm glad your going with this idea! I can't wait to see some more colour!

I agree with the crits the others have mentioned. At the moment It's hard for me to distinguish between the two 'worlds'. I look forward to your next step :)

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2006, 10:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.