PDA

View Full Version : Point Oven and current software releases

maddav99
02-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Does anyone know what all current software packages Point Oven connects to? I'm interested in Messiah, but I'd like to run it in conjunction with another software and without the ability to cross platform a la Point Oven it's pointless. I'd also like to think that it would work witth the latest releases. I've tried to email mark at ef9 but haven't gotten a response.

bardakos
02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
I HAVE SUCCESFULLY USED PO WITH MAYA 6.5 AND LW 8.5
I also found that importing LWO into Maya with the PO plugin
makes things quite easier than my previous workflow (load into Modo export as .ma)
of course sometimes i get some problems with surface clusters and i have to reconnect the in the hypergraph..

j.

AlexK
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
It work also with Maya 7.

ThomasHelzle
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I use it without problems with Lightwave7 to 8.5, messiah anyway and XSI 4.2 and 5.
There is also a free mdd tool for Cinema 4D 8.5+ that can be used with PO:
http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/index.html

What else do you need?

maddav99
03-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Great, I can't wait to try it out!

rago
03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi there,
I'm a newbie so my question about PO is why would I need it if I can use messiah with a host program.
I'm starting to use messiah studio with 3dsmax, and I'm hearing all this talking of point oven, so what is it about and why would I need it if there is already a plugin to connect messiah to other softwares, (3dsmax for ex.).

Thanx for the help!!!

Rago.

ThomasHelzle
03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, try the messiah max deformer in a stack and put a meshsmooth on top of it.
Also, save your connected scene and reload it.
Does it work as expected?

If yes, there are new developments with the max host connection that I haven't seen yet.

If it doesn't work after reloading and if it doesn't respect stack order, than it is still as unusable as in the years before.

The second cool thing about PO is, that you can animate without having Max open in the background. Much easier on RAM and CPU.

It's also a matter of taste...

Cheers,

rago
03-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry I don't think I understand what you mean with stack!
My english needs more CG practice! :p
But I do understand that surely enough the max host connection will give me some problem sooner or later and PO should help me overcome them!

Right???

ThomasHelzle
03-02-2006, 05:23 PM
hehehe - so I will become a bit more longwinded: the modifier stack is the place where all the deformers etc. live in Max. It is evaluated from bottom to top, so first you maybe have a cube and then you have a subdivision modifier etc.
Now you want to use your non-subdivided character for animation, so the performance is faster. Therefore you place the messiah modifier directly on top of your model. On top of that you place your subdivision modifier to smooth your model. Normally messiah should now work with the non subdivided object.
But in my tests less than a year ago, messiah used the top of the stack as input - so you had to animate with the high-poly mesh instead of the low poly one which is much slower and simply wrong.

Also, after saving and reloading a scene, the messiah connection was broken and needed a lot of work to be restored....

For me this meant: unusable.

But I haven't looked at the connection since.

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.