PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush generated normal maps to Maya

lennybruce
02-28-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm relatively new to ZBrush and Normal Mapping. I've seen the awesome results that everyones been achieving with ZBrush by generating normal maps and attaching them to their low res geometry in their native applications. I'm using Maya 7 and I seem to be having shading issues once I attach the normal map to the geometry. When I render using Maya's Software renderer the material almost looks like it has it's incandesence turned way up? Basically the shading seems to be way off. Then when I render the same geometry in Mental Ray the shading is fine but the normal map detail is a lot less and the edges of the geometry all turn to hard edges even when they are set to all soft. I followed the Digital Tutors ZBrush tutorial to figure out how to generate normal maps in ZBrush and then export into Maya. The tutorial was fairly easy to follow but they never got to the rendering part so I'm a bit lost? I did read another thread which I belive is similar to what I'm asking but I'm such a Newbie that most of it didn't make sense to me. If anyone could help me out that would be great! Thanks in advance.

benclark
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi

Do a search of previous posts on this forum and look for 'JS_Normaliser' and 'Pixero' You should find a ton of info on how to do this

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.