PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Theresa Ryan

Pages : [1] 2 3

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Theresa Ryan is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9547)

Latest Update: Final Image: Famine Ship
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1148474650_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3575195#post3575195)

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Here we go! Wahey! Um...I clicked twice on the 'enter' button, sorry about that!

Good luck to everyone who enters this challenge, it should be great fun!

The upload page isn't working for me, so I'll just upload the imageshack way for now:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6647/concept24gs.jpg

Here's a group of mercenaries, warlocks and scholars off to the center of the earth for the Earth Fair, held once every 200 years. There's plenty of room in this image for tantalising details, which is what I want to do with it! Think richly patterned fabrics, gems...the lot...

For now, I'm just looking at different compositions, values and suchlike. This is concept number one, if I decide to go with this concept, I'll do a few rough sketches to establish the look of the piece, then start 'for real'.

Crits very welcome, particularly regarding the values and composition.

Rudeone
02-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Have fun Theresa!!!

Rebeccak
02-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Good luck, 'Clippy! :wavey:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Icarus
02-28-2006, 01:41 AM
W00t, go paperclip, best of luck :)

erilaz
02-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Yay! I'll be subscribing Theresa!

Challenge buddies forever!:beer:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:43 AM
This will be so much fun! I'm going to bed in a few minutes, but I'll sketch out a few ideas in the morning, hope my dreams are fruitful tonight!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Yay! I'll be subscribing Theresa!

Challenge buddies forever!:beer:

You got it, Martin! Wahey!

Only 88 days to go!

Better start thinking! ......I'll go to sleep tonight, hope my dreams are fruitful, then start sketching in the morning!

Party party party!

Llynna
02-28-2006, 01:51 AM
da ist sie ja :) vie glück an meine lieblingsirin :D

have fun hon and i will stick around here

*subscribes*

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Danken schoen,, aber es ist die anderen 'thread' dass ich will es arbeiten :D

MichaelZHsee
02-28-2006, 01:57 AM
yay~subscribing here~good luck and have fun ya~too excited to accidentally click twice eh~haha:scream:

Llynna
02-28-2006, 01:57 AM
here we go again :D

best of luck hon :thumbsup:

get some sleep and make some sketches later on. i will finish that stupid essay, then send it to you and make some sketches. i think i will skip sleeping ;P

paperclip
02-28-2006, 02:00 AM
shake: Yea, that's it! I've been waiting for this for ages and I'm the type to get overexcited about challenges, haha :D

Britta: Sleep is overrated. I won't be sleeping for the next 88 days..uhm...well..maybe just a bit!

I'm off to bed now, try not to party too much while I'm gone, seee you all tomorrow!

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Looking forward to all the fun :D - all the best, Theresa. :thumbsup:

walrus
02-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Ha, Theresa, how many times have you clicked Refresh on the CGTalk page in the last 24-48 hours to get to this?! :) Have fun and looking forward to seeing your sketches...

-mike

monsitj
02-28-2006, 03:05 AM
Hi theresa ! glad to see you again here! let get start and have fun ! :applause:

marcoracer
02-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Excited are we? Good luck to you. :cool:

ozhaver
02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Great to see you here paperclip!!! Good luck!!! <3

*stalks your thread too*

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 04:46 AM
F5 no more, it is up and it is running!

suren to be some fun ideas here, i promise not to steal much

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 05:06 AM
hi theresa :D weeee its going to be fun. good luck with the challenge :D

Ego
02-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi Theresa, sorry I missed you in irc. Goodluck honey, I'll be watching.

digital-bobert
02-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey Theresa!! Best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

MVDB
02-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Best of luck to ya, have some fun with this journey! :thumbsup:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Morning everyone! I went to bed rather late last night, but prayed for a fruitful sleep, so far here's one idea that I like:

Set in Egypt or Morocco or something like that, it's going to be a really lush painting of warlocks setting off on a trip on their magic carpets. They'll really be loading them up, lots of spices, golds, silvers, patterned fabrics and suchlike all on their magic carpets. The magic carpets would have 'invisble' genii carrying them, like made out of very thin glass or something. The main warlock would be summoning them all up and you see them arriving on their (heavily loaded!) magic carpets. Below you'd see slaves with camels all loaded up with spices and things like that. The scenery would change from a town with curious people looking out of the windows, to desert ,to some sort of strange mountainous scenery. Ther would be warlocks of all ages, young and old and some would be studying ancient rites to help them on their safe journey. Think 'Luggage' from Terry Pratchett combined with aladdin's cave....

LOTS of references would be used for areas here n there.....so.....what do you think?

beelow
02-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Welcome back teresa! Good luck!:thumbsup:

Elsie
02-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Therrrry *hugs* looking forward to seeing some sketches girl! No doubt will be an original and stylish entry as alway (lately your paintings are tending to become fantastically kooky too!) - best of luck to you!

duddlebug
02-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Good Luck Theresa!

Sounds ambitious!! :)

Mu
02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi Theresa,

I'll be watching this... have FUN!

Think 'Luggage' from Terry Pratchett combined with aladdin's cave....

lmao!:scream:

Ok - this is going to be great!

*subscribes*

paperclip
02-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Good Luck Theresa!

Sounds ambitious!! :)

I have three months. :twisted:
So happy to see you here, btw!

Elsie: Kooky, eh? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Mr. Mu: Another terry pratchett fan, eh? I love his stuff...I'm going for a general pratchetty slant on it, with a bit of other stuff in it as well..plus my magic potion :D

Beelow: THIS time I'm gonna try and get an afro in there somewhere....

Michaelmotion: Your thread is definitely one I'm watching...

Bobert: as above! I'm glad you entered this one!

Queenie: Glad to see you in on this thing, it should be good. :)

Agamemnwn: Maybe you can use your Marvin in on this thing? Oh, wait, you're not allowed to use 'prefab' stuff...too bad...

Squib: What F5 button left? It wore away a few years ago, lol. Can't wait to see what's up with your thread, talk about stalking! You'll never get rid of the clippy lurking in your background....

Oz: I'm watching you closely also!

Marcoracer: Thanks!

Monsitj: I'm really watching you...I loved your last challenge!

Walrus: Too many times, mike, too many times...but now it's here and I can start! I can't wait to see what you come up with either, wage slave was fantastic. :)

Artisticvisions: Fun it sure will be...

Mu
02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Beelow: THIS time I'm gonna try and get an afro in there somewhere....

lmao! :scream: Make sure it does not block out our view... :D

Zapan
02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey Theresa !

Have a lots of fun and best of luck !

cheers ,

-Zapan

makaron
02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
hallo Theresa
do I use a drawing pin and put up the calender with the wheeeks left on :p or shoud I use a staple or paperclip? :D
I´m a bad one in jokes too, I know :rolleyes:
and have loads of fun :bounce: and a bunch of good luck too...

Overchord
02-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Hello clippy :)

Sounds like a great idea already! Looking forward to see what comes out. Good luck and have fun in the challenge!

3dRaven
02-28-2006, 10:28 AM
An interesting twist on the subject Theresa :thumbsup:

Are you going for a serious style (aka photoreal) or maybe something slightly toonish??

Best of luck to you :D

sergioKomic
02-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Show us some of your new and improoved skills girl!

:thumbsup:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141132184_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141132184_large.jpg)

Here's the first concept sketch- a conglomerate of arabian merchants, wiazards and scholars off on their journey to... the center of the earth for the amazing Earth Fair that is only held once every 200 years! There would be lots of rich fabrics and sparkling gems, right now I'm just looking at the overall composition and values...crits are more than welcome!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141132651_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141132651_large.jpg)

Here's my first concept sketch- a conglomerate of arabian merchants, warlocks and scholars all off to the center of the earth for the great Earth Fair which is held every 200 years! It will have lots of rich fabric and sparkling gems..right now I'm concentrating on composition and values. Crits are more than welcome!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Well...as for the style, sort of a blend between photoreal and a comic style. It's what I do best :D

Strange, I just submitted my first concept sketch, but it's not showing up here. I wonder why?

makaron: Yes, that was a bad joke! Your punishment is to lie down and let your guinea pigs nibble on you for a few 'wheeks'...

lmao! :scream: Make sure it does not block out our view... :D

Isn't the whole point of an afro that it blocks views? :D

paperclip
02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, my pics don't seem to be uploading, so while this is being fixed, here's one:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6647/concept24gs.jpg
Here's a group of mercenaries, warlocks and scholars off to the center of the earth for the Earth Fair, held once every 200 years. There's plenty of room in this image for tantalising details, which is what I want to do with it! Think richly patterned fabrics, gems...the lot...

For now, I'm just looking at different compositions, values and suchlike. This is concept number one, if I decide to go with this concept, I'll do a few rough sketches to establish the look of the piece, then start 'for real'.

Crits very welcome, particularly regarding the values and composition.

3dRaven
02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd expand the framing more to the left to show more of the far off distance, now it seems more like a filler than a destination.

paperclip
02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Good crit! How's this for an improvement?

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6922/concept36af.jpg

I've decided to do a week's worth of concepts, then after that choose one and work on that one for the final image. So...this is concept one, more or less. Time for me to start thinking about other concepts. I'll go for a walk and see what I can think of!

3dRaven
02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
better (has room to breath now), I'd work on the destination though, let the viewer see the path they are going to take literaly (I'm sure they aren't the first to cross it).

Give the viewer a glimps of the destination (could be a sort of arabian / taj mahal stucture off in the distance covered by a sandstorm (could say they'd have to go through quite a struggle) Give them some obstacles so its not all in rosy colors :D

Just a suggestion

paperclip
02-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, I wanted them to go down into the center of the earth, so how about a gaping hole in the distance, surrounded by craggy rocks? Sounds like it could be cool. Otherwise how about a big 'sea' with the mountains in the distance spouting fire? I'm just thinking of a range of ideas now, sketches come later! Remember, this week is 'concept week'!

JTD
02-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I love how this is a happy beginning and not something dark and foreboding. It's refreshing. But don't let me influence your ideas. You go ahead and make something grizzly and eerie if ya want!:thumbsup:

I'll be cheering you on.

Mu
02-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi Theresa!

this is a wonderful concept! Also I notice your work on values shows through already.

I do also like the character design and design of objects depicted in general! This is going to be great.

As for Advice(unasked for and therefor a double joy to give...:D ):

I would also like to see the vastness of the whole scene increased. At the moment there's a lack of distance the eye would like to wander to.

So, maybe this Philipp Straub article on composition (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275&page=)might give you an idea how to set up the whole thing?

Again, this is looking great - glad I am subscribed to this so I won't miss out on anything.

makaron
02-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Your punishment is to lie down and let your guinea pigs nibble on you for a few 'wheeks'... :D

could be a nice concept to draw :p and you have a good start on your Idea... really like the thought of flying carpets :)

NinjaA55N
02-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I wish a good luck and lots of creative energy to all of my buddies from previous challenges :D Dont be mad coz I'll post the same first reply to all of u, but wishes r sincere.. I just wanna to sign up to ur thread. Once again best of luck!

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
super composition in that sketch, now just finish it !

paperclip
02-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Raven: Hey! I think you're jumping ahead, you're talking like this is my final concept. :D It may end up being so, but we'll see first! Thanks for your suggestions though, I really, really appreciate them.

JDT: My master & servant was dark and foreboding, lol. I wanted something brighter and happier for this time, makes it more fun to work on in the long run. It made me depressed working on such a depressing piece, can you believe that?

Mr. Mu: Thanks for that article- I've read it before, but I'll reread it to get a better grounding with the composition, never hurts to remind yourself of these things...

Makaron: Genies also and little ghosties will be in there in the final piece if I choose this concept....also sparkling gems and rich, flowy fabrics!

Ninja: hey! I'm so glad to see you here, I love your stuff! I'll be looking at your thread for sure and can't wait to see how you do.

Squib: nice try! I'm gonna really try and get this as near as damn perfect as I can for my level of talent (which ain't much)

Another concept will be going up tonight. Keep an eye out!

Squibbit
02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Squib: nice try! I'm gonna really try and get this as near as damn perfect as I can for my level of talent (which ain't much)

was no try u .. u can try to fek it up all u like but it looks great already , tellin u :)

AkaKico
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Yay Paperclip! Good luck! How do you guys find so much time to post in everyones thread, and get any work done!?

Rudeone
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Great start theresa, you capture the theme of people about to set off on a big journey really well. I really like those two in the foreground hugging eachother, IMO it's a well chosen detail and it lets the viewer know what's about to happen.
I too like the second wider sketch best, it kinda shows the long road in front of them.

Rebeccak
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Looking good, 'Clippy! Keep hammering away at them values, and work them out completely before going for color ~ try to get a specific area of interest and lead the eye thru the comp with patches of light and areas of high contrast. Nice work so far!

~Rebeccak

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
great composition theresa :D . i like the concept very much

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
You got me on board Theresa! I love Arabian stuff! ;)

MVDB
02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey Theresa!
Looks like a promissing concept! Yeah, yeah, I know, you're in your "think"-week.
Maybe show a bit more sky.. this could make a bigger view, so it will look like the journey's bigger..(MO) Be lurking here, to see what more comes up.. :thumbsup:

paperclip
02-28-2006, 08:27 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158447_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158447_large.jpg)

Off to America: This one isn't as good as the first- I think it needs more mice or maybe a different type of creature and give them more bags and stuff...I like the ship though..and the perspective. Maybe just changing the mice would be enough? It's another concept anyway. We'll see how it goes!

paperclip
02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158542_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158542_large.jpg)

Off to America: This one isn't as good as the first- I think it needs more mice or maybe a different type of creature and give them more bags and stuff...I like the ship though..and the perspective. Maybe just changing the mice would be enough? It's another concept anyway. We'll see how it goes!

hzoppetti
02-28-2006, 08:30 PM
A great start! Looking forward to watching your progress :)

Digitalpaint
02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, a great start Theresa. :thumbsup: (Subsc..)

paperclip
02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/843/concept43qh.jpg

Here's another concept-Off to America: This one isn't as good as the first- I think it needs more mice or maybe a different type of creature and give them more bags and stuff...I like the ship though..and the perspective. Maybe just changing the mice would be enough? It's another concept anyway. It definitely needs more dynamicism.

squib: When I fek up, I fek up in style..wait n see..!

Kico: I stole some of rebecca's HYPERACTIVE potion :)

Rudeone: I agree with you, the huggers are one of my favorite detail, reminds me of when you go to airports or railway stations, you always get the teary lovers...hmm..that gives me another idea for a concept. Thanks very much!

Becca: hey, new things to think about- the specific area of interest. Hmm.

Aggie: cheers! I have another idea for a concept with greek stuff, I bet you'll like that. Agamemnon...Hector..Priam..!

Posh: Me too! Aladdin's cave and 1001 arabian tales always were my favorite type of stories, they're so well written and really captivate you. I think I may check out one or two out of the library, any suggestions would be great.

Michael: Ooh, good idea, but I don't wan to loose too much of the perspective. I'll mess around and see what comes up. :)

walrus
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Looking good, Theresa, off to a great start!
As for the first sketch, I love the concept. I think some stronger silhouettes could help it to read more clearly: Everything ges a little jumbled in the middle.

This 2nd one is good too. I think the ship could look a bit bigger, but making the deck line curve upwards instead of down, but then you wouldn't see as much of the deck itself.

As for the question you asked in my thread, I think in the end noone's going to worry too much about whether you use small creatures or not. They've never been real sticklers about being too perfectly on-theme in the past as long as the art itself was solid. I mean, as long as someone can look at it and say, "yep it fits the 2 words 'Journey Begins,' you'll be fine." So don't stress about the mice.

Besides, you can't do mice, I'm sketching mice. :-P

:)

-mike

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Interesting ideas. :)
So far, I really like the 1st concept the best (I loved 1001 Arabian Tales); the other is ok, but reminds me too much of An Americal Tail.

DimitrisLiatsos
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
You got me on board Theresa! I love Arabian stuff! ;)

...me too:drool:....Go Paperclip! :bounce:

mosconariz
02-28-2006, 09:08 PM
:D good luck!

makaron
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Makaron: Genies also and little ghosties will be in there in the final piece if I choose this concept....also sparkling gems and rich, flowy fabrics!

I :love: sparkling gems... do that one. please.. but me like the rodents too... :)

paperclip
02-28-2006, 09:23 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141161799_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141161799_large.jpg)

Another concept- centered around just two people in a mountainous area, preparing to climb the mountain. It's rather solitary and that's the atmosphere I wanted- they're sipping the last hasty cups of coffee (kettle will be in front of them, being heated up by a firestick in a metal can, shielded from the wind.)before setting off up the mountain. There'd be a lot more accessories like gourds, maps and so on.

paperclip
02-28-2006, 09:26 PM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/7299/concept51ky.jpg

Another concept- centered around just two people in a mountainous area, preparing to climb the mountain. It's rather solitary and that's the atmosphere I wanted- they're sipping the last hasty cups of coffee (kettle will be in front of them, being heated up by a firestick in a metal can, shielded from the wind.)before setting off up the mountain. There'd be a lot more accessories like gourds, maps and so on.

paperclip
02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Update!

Skewed the perspective, dramatised the lighting:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3081/concept62oy.jpg

Mu
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
theresa!

you are intimidatingly productive... 3 great concepts!

can't type too much right now, because I am wearing a sock and my daughters hat on my left hand to keep it warm and prevent carpal tunnel from playing too much guitar (I can feel it comin...:eek: )

whew, til tomorrow.

Elsie
02-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Nice job there Spanky :D - I find the skewed perspective a little distracting to the image though, IMHO the first one for some reason just looked better. I think Becca owe's you a gold star for all this practise with values too! You're much better at it that I was hah, I never even showed my (one) result :scream:

Keep 'em coming! :wip:

nebezial
02-28-2006, 11:11 PM
awesome idea..love the flying carpets:thumbsup: :bounce: :D

TheFirstAngel
02-28-2006, 11:25 PM
good wishes on your journey and best of luck :) have fun and great to have u here too. love the sketch :D

paperclip
02-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Nice job there Spanky :D - I find the skewed perspective a little distracting to the image though, IMHO the first one for some reason just looked better. I think Becca owe's you a gold star for all this practise with values too! You're much better at it that I was hah, I never even showed my (one) result :scream:

Keep 'em coming! :wip:

That's one of the reasons why this is 'concepts' week, also known as 'values' week. :twisted:

I'm killing two birds with one stone, lol. Or as rebecca would say, ROFLMIAO!

p.s - It snowed today! Hands up everyone who has snow at their place. Isn't it great?

p.p.s- updated again...expect another new concept in the morning, I'm gonna have plenty of cheese before I go to bed! :scream: :bounce:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7272/concept76bg.jpg

Art2
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Heyhey, here I am! What did I miss?
Wha...!? 3 concept sketches already!! :eek:
Looking goooood!
You sure you need a challenge buddy? :)

Haha, pushing that submit button twice, that's priceless LOL.

Go Theresa!!

erilaz
03-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Great work, you've been damn busy!

I would like to say though that you really should submit all these images via the actual submission form on the challenge site. You can add as many as you like to any milestone. It gives a clear WIP outlook on the challenge site itself for your profile.:)

ozhaver
03-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Great to see your idea engine flowing!!! He heee I still like your first sketch more than the other two (though those are great!). It is because you have so many faces to work with. I just love working with expressions :D

paperclip
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141172940_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141172940_large.jpg)

paperclip
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Great work, you've been damn busy!

I would like to say though that you really should submit all these images via the actual submission form on the challenge site. You can add as many as you like to any milestone. It gives a clear WIP outlook on the challenge site itself for your profile.:)

I did actually! They're not coming up on the thread though, I have no idea why. You can see them all here: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/submit_entry.php

erilaz
03-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Heh... I just read your report to Rob in the FAQ. Cool. :D

I'm really loving your dedication so far! I wish I had time to put in as much as you!

Slav
03-01-2006, 12:38 AM
DUDE! you have 5 pages already! hahah good job man. you know ill be stalking you :P

PSych
03-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Great concepts!
The first one rulez (imho)
Good Luck and have fun :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-01-2006, 01:33 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141176805_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141176805_large.jpg)

Yee-ha cowboys riding off to find the treasure, taking along one ancient buddhist monk to help them attain eternal wisdom along the way..the people would have to be pretty caricaturised and the colors bright. Lots of pots and pans hanging off everywhere and maybe one of them playing a haunting tune on a fiddle while riding...

paperclip
03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Yee-ha cowboys riding off to find the treasure, taking along one ancient buddhist monk to help them attain eternal wisdom along the way..the people would have to be pretty caricaturised and the colors bright. Lots of pots and pans hanging off everywhere and maybe one of them playing a haunting tune on a fiddle while riding...http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9579/concept86hi.jpg

MichaelZHsee
03-01-2006, 05:22 AM
great sketches going paperclip,i like the 1st and the 3rd one.the 4th is pretty interesting too~:)goodluck my friend

ozhaver
03-01-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm confused, I could swear I commented on your thread already...

oh wait, or do you have two? :curious:

lol

ozhaver
03-01-2006, 05:39 AM
a HA! i knew it! :P

I think they are all coming up on your OTHER thread. ^_^

so which one do we stalk? o__O

Gord-MacDonald
03-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Good luck Teresa - I'll be checking in :thumbsup:

Gord

Agamemnwn
03-01-2006, 06:39 AM
goodmorning Theresa ,

great concepts. i like the last one with the cowboys riding off to find the treasure. very mustirious :D great stuff

paperclip
03-01-2006, 08:07 AM
You've solved the mystery, Oz! Blow me down if I don't have TWO threads, haha...off I go to Mibus to try and sort out ' The Mystery of the Two Threads.'....

Thanks for solving it - it was puzzling me no end!

paperclip
03-01-2006, 08:10 AM
a HA! i knew it! :P

I think they are all coming up on your OTHER thread. ^_^

so which one do we stalk? o__O

Thanks so much for telling me! I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. I'm going to ask Mibus to fix this up now...

Edit: OT, but did you see this?? Most users ever were online yesterday, I bet that's a combination of Expose4 and this new challenge!

Most users ever online was 4135, Yesterday at 06:37 PM.

Elsie
03-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Edit: OT, but did you see this?? Most users ever were online yesterday, I bet that's a combination of Expose4 and this new challenge!

Most users ever online was 4135, Yesterday at 06:37 PM.

Morning Therry :)

Whee, thats a lot of people! Glad to hear you figured out what was wrong with your thread hehe - I'm assuming we're following this one once it's fixed?

HamsterFly
03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Great concepts Teresa ! :thumbsup: wish u good luck

Vahn
03-01-2006, 10:31 AM
juhuuu have fun mrs. ryan :D :wip:

paperclip
03-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Mrs Ryan..ahhaa...I wish...I'm still single. :love:

Enough of this stuff, here's a quick update, I like this one..probably won't go with it though, I'm working on yet another concept this morning, with ghosts and robots :)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3984/concept87nk.jpg

TheFirstAngel
03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
very cool Sketch Theresa, keep it up!

Rudeone
03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Hahaha cowboys and a budhist monk on a quest for eternal wisdom, sounds like a great idea!
I dunno wich one I think is the strongest (first concept or last concept), they both have great potential, but keep those ideas flowing girl!
You might want to consider showing a lot of environment instead of a close-up of the characters, I think it would emphasise the big journey/quest a lot better, although some characters in the forground would work really well I think.

duddlebug
03-01-2006, 01:31 PM
So is this the real thread? Or the wrong thread?

duddlebug
03-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Right.... now i'm confused. here's a thread with a zillion replies and no thumbnail... and i've just come from a thread with a thumbnail but not many replies. Weird.

Have you broken the system??

Squibbit
03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
:surprised

what's with the new one?

i was getting speedily pissed off at somene or sumthin playin tricks with my eyes

paperclip
03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
This is what happened- I pushed the 'enter challenge' button twice and TWO threads popped up in the forum! I picked one and started working in it and updating my stuff through the 'enter challenge' button, but none of the stuff started coming up. I thought it was strange, maybe cause of the thumbnails, something along these lines...then oz found this thread buried deep!

All my discussion is in the OTHER thread though...the one you find when you click on my sig.

I asked Mibus to delete this one and fix the other one up, so until then...you'll be seeing double. :)

paperclip
03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Have you broken the system??

Down with the System! lol.

It's something I've been working towards...no.. not really...I have too many pictures to finish before I can think about bringing down the system. :twisted:

This is what happened- I pushed the 'enter challenge' button twice and TWO threads popped up in the forum! I picked one and started working in it and updating my stuff through the 'enter challenge' button, but none of the stuff started coming up. I thought it was strange, maybe cause of the thumbnails, something along these lines...then Oz (God bless OzHaver!)found the other thread buried deep! The Mystery of the Two Threads solved..

All my discussion is in this thread though...I want to keep this one as, well, it's more fun. :)

I asked Mibus to delete this one and fix the other one up, so until then...you'll be seeing double.

It could only happen to me...! :scream:

BluePulse
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I really like your ideas! I like how your rendering these out also. It'll be great watching what you come up with.

Maladie
03-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm suscribing here too...looks great! I love your 'humorous' ('scuse the english!) concepts best, the cowboys and the journey into the earth. Good luck!!

Miyagu
03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
welcome, theresa! :bounce: best of luck of you! cheers!

paperclip
03-01-2006, 04:33 PM
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/3151/concept95dk.jpg

'Ship in the clouds'-- It may not even end up being a ship, it could be Death coming out with his scythe, summoning the man to his journey through the afterlife. The composition would be worked on mightily, but this is the general concept.

paperclip
03-01-2006, 04:33 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141230828_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141230828_large.jpg)

Here's an updated version...of the cowboys.

mybutterflyiris
03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Since you seem to have 2 threads, I shall spam them both... mwhahahahahaha :twisted::twisted:

mybutterflyiris
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Since you seem to have 2 threads, I shall spam them both... mwhahahahahaha :twisted::twisted:

paperclip
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
please ignore this post..

LadyMedusa
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
submit page stil not working, Miss. Ryan? :S That is rather awkward if you ask me...

Really linke your last Ship/death in cloud concept :)

paperclip
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM

Why, dear Lord, why???????

All this is making me look like a fool! 'TWO threads! Being an idiot in just one is enough...but nooo, paperclip had to have TWO threads!'

:blush: Sorry everyone! Darn my trigger-happy mouse button finger...

POLL TIME:

Will I bring the party into the other thread or stay in this one? I'll let the people decide! :scream:

Should Paperclip stay in this thread or move into the other one?

Yes/No..

paperclip
03-01-2006, 04:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141231429_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141231429_large.jpg)

'Ship in the clouds'-- It may not even end up being a ship, it could be Death coming out with his scythe, summoning the man to his journey through the afterlife. The composition would be worked on mightily, but this is the general concept.

Rebeccak
03-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Go 'Clippy! This last one looks great, the thumbnail reads amazingly! Go values, go values! :applause:

danielh68
03-01-2006, 05:09 PM
The last concept is a keeper :)

Art2
03-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Pretty coool :)
You should probably move to the other thread, because all of your official submission are in that thread. (right? :) )

Maladie
03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
where can I find the other thread? Would like to follow your progress:)

paperclip
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
THE PARTY HAS MOVED HERE!

This will become my 'OFFICIAL' thread... I am only going to submit work in THIS thread from now on. The last thread....well...too bad!

So...do you think I should use the last concept? Hmm...today's only the second day of 'concept week', so I may come up with something better later in the week! At the end of the week, I'm gonna decide...either saturday or sunday. :D

paperclip
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
THE PARTY HAS BEEN MOVED OVER HERE! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322551)

I won't be writing or submitting artwork to this thread anymore...it's all gonna be in the above link!

If you want to reply...click on the above link and reply there! Thanks! :)

marcoracer
03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I like the drama and mood of the last one. I think the ship should stay. All kinds of fun idea's and detailing can happen there... even if it's off in the distance.

MechaHateChimp
03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Im with everyone on the last sketch. Great idea to use as your foundation.

Art2
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
please ignore this post..

whaaaat post?

I think you are also the cause of CGtalk getting slow and all... :D

That last concept is coool! Heh...
I like the idea of a ship in the clouds. You should give it green sails... ay, Irish ship...

Llynna
03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
yey theresa, those are really great sketches i really love them maytje :)

hohoho, i need to practise this pirate style writing, maybe i should watch some pirate movie ;)

the values in the last one are really great, make it magnificant clouds :)

Grin3d
03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Good luck ! Last concept looks very good. I'm looking forward to your decision !

Roman.

paperclip
03-01-2006, 11:54 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141257295_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141257295_large.jpg)

This one is of the beginning of the journey of the afterlife- the soul rising from the body is shown the journey she will have to traverse to get to her final destination. Included here would be a grassy field, with the body lying in it, torn clothes, a violent murder perhaps? The clouds, peachy yellow coming up against the blue sky over a sea with small ferries on it....

paperclip
03-02-2006, 12:08 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141258132_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141258132_large.jpg)

Fixed up some of the values in the last pic, they were bugging me...I don't think this picture is dynamic enough though.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 12:36 AM
mm...I miss this thread...:(

Mu
03-02-2006, 12:40 AM
just shamelessly replying in here to make sure I get notified of changes.

*forehead drops on desk*

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

iamawizard
03-02-2006, 04:37 AM
good luck mate

zem
03-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Good Luck, Theresa!

I like the "Ship in the cloud" concept. Has a "grande" feel over it.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 10:09 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141294180_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141294180_large.jpg)

This one is a futuristic story- the humanoid robots are on a journey to become human- they have to undertake a long journey to the Man in the Mountain, thereby building character and becoming human along the way. Their bodies would be rather rusty and contrasting metal against the bare rock and stone. So far for this picture I used a photo of the lake in my hometown for reference. Yes, it's a dramatic lake. :)

paperclip
03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141294430_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141294430_large.jpg)

I uploaded the wrong version the last time...this is the proper picture.

Mu
03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
wow, Theresa.

You are churning out concepts like mad! This last one has a gerat atmosphere to it. Dark and sinister, but not in an appaling way.

Is the question which thread is THE thread settled?
Brain keeps telling me it can't keep track of two threads...:D

paperclip
03-02-2006, 10:35 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141295706_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141295706_large.jpg)

Rearranged the clouds to emphasise the mountain more...

paperclip
03-02-2006, 11:47 AM
So anyway I was thinking about my next concept-- hot air balloons!

I could have the balloons up in the air, looking down on the landscape from that perspective, floating over a vast landscape, or I could have them looking huge in the foreground and crowds of people loading stuff into it and a single guy on a podium giving a talk about how great and amazing the pilot is and how this is such a huge leap for mankind...

What's even cooler would be if I blended this with some other concept, like maybe having it in an arabian country, mixing together concept number one with balloons- they would be loading up the balloon with gems to give away to the 'barbarians'.

Or how about ancient Egypt? Then I could have the balloon decorated with hieroglyphs, gold and scarab beetles and the pyramids in the background. And of course everyone has to have the egyptian walk :)

jamwae
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I like the image you posted at the beginning. It's very nice. You've got a good sense of values (light/dark, not morality, not that you're not moral, but... anyway)can't wait to see more with this ship idea.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 12:37 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141258132_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141258132_large.jpg)This one is of the beginning of the journey of the afterlife- the soul rising from the body is shown the journey she will have to traverse to get to her final destination. Included here would be a grassy field, with the body lying in it, torn clothes, a violent murder perhaps? The clouds, peachy yellow coming up against the blue sky over a sea with small ferries on it....
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141295706_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141295706_large.jpg)
This one is a futuristic story- the humanoid robots are on a journey to become human- they have to undertake a long journey to the Man in the Mountain, thereby building character and becoming human along the way. Their bodies would be rather rusty and contrasting metal against the bare rock and stone. So far for this picture I used a photo of the lake in my hometown for reference. Yes, it's a dramatic lake. :)

Ok...this thread is not the right one...I shouldn't even be doing this. :(

Maladie
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow...your imagination has been kickstarted!:) Also you've been doing quite a lot of threadhopping, I see...feeling sorry for the old, sad, leftbehind thread? (I would)

As a writer, I must say I really like the concepts best where you're doing a lot with characters to start with. Like those robots, there is such humour and tragedy behind them already, that one could make a very good story out of them (me and my classmates often couldn't start with that much strength in the character)!
Can't resist the urge to show you, in my opinion, the GEMS you have in your hands...ahhh...yes..*gets carried away* The cowboys and the 'arabian' expedition to either the heart of the world or the sky above, have it too. Like you feel, in just one sketch, that you already know these characters and wanna see them make it.
By the way, maybe you're saying DUH I already knew that...but I just noticed myself getting really enthousiastic about those three concepts storywise, and thought to let you know!

All your sketches look great, by the way. I admire the way you use just graytones to make for a dramatic background! I somehow never 'see' the background and end up just letting everything fade into...total nothingness, I guess:rolleyes:.

I'm eager to see which other concepts you come up with and what you will pick in the end. Good journey!

Maladie
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
posting it here too...maybe you've hopped back:)

Wow...your imagination has been kickstarted! Also you've been doing quite a lot of threadhopping, I see...feeling sorry for the old, sad, leftbehind thread? (I would)

As a writer, I must say I really like the concepts best where you're doing a lot with characters to start with. Like those robots, there is such humour and tragedy behind them already, that one could make a very good story out of them (me and my classmates often couldn't start with that much strength in the character)!

Can't resist the urge to show you, in my opinion, the GEMS you have in your hands...ahhh...yes..*gets carried away* The cowboys and the 'arabian' expedition to either the heart of the world or the sky above, have it too. Like you feel, in just one sketch, that you already know these characters and wanna see them make it.

By the way, maybe you're saying DUH I already knew that...but I just noticed myself getting really enthousiastic about those three concepts storywise, and thought to let you know!

All your sketches look great, by the way. I admire the way you use just graytones to make for a dramatic background! I somehow never 'see' the background and end up just letting everything fade into...total nothingness, I guess.

I'm eager to see which other concepts you come up with and what you will pick in the end. Good journey!

monsitj
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
balloon concept look interesting! and your value sketch work very well! anyway I try to enter your thread many time , but it say error ! don't know why , but now i think it works !

Rebeccak
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I love all of your imaginative concepts, 'Clippy! :wip:

Chupacabra
03-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Nice one Theresa. Keep it B&W, don't color it, please! This gives the whole a certain Film Noir look.

Keep on,

Khan

Slav
03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
ill probably feel feeble with my comment next to maladie but here goes nothing, *cricketts*

i guess not. the only think i do really want to say is GREAT job on the scenes so far. ill stop by later to check out what you have done with them. :)

Maladie
03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Oops, Slav, I hope you don't mean I'm being snotty with all my 'I'm a writer' stuff LOL:p I'm an UNEMPLOYED writer, that sound better?;) I guess I got carried away by Paperclips solid concepts - don't we all?:applause:

MichaelCTY
03-02-2006, 05:33 PM
welcome to the challenge
,and great sketch u have done,
waiting to see more from you
goodluck :)

paperclip
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Wauu Maladie, what compliments! :blush: And no, I didn't know that. :) I really appreciate them- I love reading and I'm into such a wide range of books that it must surely influence my art somehow- I particularly love greek and roman mythology, along with history and terry pratchett :p

Man, that makes me sound like such a nerd. :( Oh well! :D

So cool that you're a writer- could I see some of your stuff? Please? Post a link! Or even one of your stories here- go on...you know you want to!

Slav- I'm really liking your concepts- they are really inspiring and I quite enjoy popping over to see if you have anything new.

Michael Chang- cheers, mate. :thumbsup:

UPDATE: I just PMd Mibus- hopefully the other thread will be removed and this one will be the main thread. We'll see!

paperclip
03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks, guys. Here's the deal- I PMd Mibus re: the thread mix up and it should be resolved soon. I'm currently working on the new sketch, it should be up tonight. :)

Hmm...I never considered doing a B & W piece. I'd like to use colors for this challenge though, I mean, I have 3 months, I may as well do some coloring practice :D

paperclip
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141335701_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141335701_large.jpg)

THIS one is an offshoot? of the balloon idea- this balloon is the first of his kind- how will it do on its maiden voyage? I want to have the people coming up with gems and fabrics piled up in their arms and the guy in the basket celebrating his genius. The clouds will be fine and large in a clear blue sky. The composition needs work though.

yoitisi
03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I like all of your sketches, specially the one of the cowboys :)

Would love to see some color though, I think it will bring out the ideas behind the sketches even better than when it's all B&W.

Keep the ideas coming.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141336105_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141336105_large.jpg)

Update on the above piece...

paperclip
03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Yoitisi: That's my plan- on saturday and sunday I'm going to take the top 2 or 3 sketches I like best and put them out as color and decide which one I'll use for my final image then. :)

makaron
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
this one could be perfect :) like the look of hugeness of the balloon...

AlyFell
03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Oooh! Balloons! Do a Zeppelin! A REALLY BIG Zeppelin! ;) I'll shut up now....

JTD
03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey, I had the hot air balloon idea too. No fair! Yours looks good.

Mu
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Oh paperclip - that's good news as I have just been searching for a few minutes for my other post (not in this thread) and a reply to that and it totally confused us (brain and me), but now we will be fine...

I absolutely admire your productivity. All of the concept sketches look like lovely concepts to follow. What a nice problem to have - to have to chose from one of these...:)

paperclip
03-02-2006, 10:53 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141340004_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141340004_large.jpg)

Here's a zeppelin- thanks poshspice for giving me that suggestion :)

It's a journey- to mars, on the zeppelin bus! I put in a little zeppelin stop and everything.. I wonder if planet hopping will ever be this simple??

paperclip
03-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Oooh! Balloons! Do a Zeppelin! A REALLY BIG Zeppelin! ;) I'll shut up now....

Like this? ^^

:D

Thanks for the idea! :wavey:

P.S- the people aren't very clear, so I'll tell you-there are two women, a child and a man checking his watch. He has a martian appointment for midday and he's worried about missing it!

paperclip
03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
duplicate post. please ignore.

AlyFell
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Instantaneous art! Wow! Maybe I could try another suggestion... Have the characters on a unicycle, juggling, on top of the Zeppelin, singing Angels by Robbie Williams and dressed as pantomime horses. Just thought I'd thow that one in there... ;)

beelow
03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Instantaneous art! Wow! Maybe I could try another suggestion... Have the characters on a unicycle, juggling, on top of the Zeppelin, singing Angels by Robbie Williams and dressed as pantomime horses. Just thought I'd thow that one in there... ;)

Hehe, sound like fun!

Nice sketches Teresa, keep em coming!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-02-2006, 11:39 PM

How the HELL did you know I was gonna do that??

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/8192/concept147ct.jpg

AlyFell
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I have just RALMFAO! :applause:

paperclip
03-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I was doing it anyway, just thought I'd post it. :D

beelow
03-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Heh heh! Ur thread will be so spammed, haha!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Good news, everyone!

The great god MIBUS has had mercy on me and blended the two threads into this one...so now this is my ONE THREAD.... no more stress for any of you!

More concepts tomorrow and on saturday, then sunday I will decide on which one to use. Maybe I'll hold a 'vote'?

zem
03-03-2006, 07:26 AM
How about instead of Robbie Williams you have Jim Morrisson singing "the crystal ship"? Keep the jugglers, though:)

Agamemnwn
03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
my god so many ideas my little clip. (takes theresa's brain and puts it in a jar to save it and get inspiration when he need to :D) go theresa go !!!

Mu
03-03-2006, 08:45 AM
only one thread now!

me brain says: yay!
looking forward to yet another concept.

MichaelZHsee
03-03-2006, 08:46 AM
i like the zepellin to mars concept.pretty cool and the compositios works well :thumbsup:

Poonks
03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Woooowww

I love your concept paperclip.. really impressive.. i hope to see more soon :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Hmm...don't worry, I haven't run out of ideas. I'm having visitors at the moment and my time is sparse. I'll see what I can do this afternoon though.

Any suggestions for concepts? :D

ArtisticVisions
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Man, it took me forever to find your thread again (when the 2 threads merged, it unsubscribed me from the first one :shrug: ).

Hadn't had time to look through all of your concepts yet (it's too many! :D ), but I'll post my thoughts later when I do.

paperclip
03-03-2006, 02:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141396915_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141396915_large.jpg)

Aliens are coming!
They call out to people...who are powerless to resist and mindlessly follow them out into the streets and up into their ships..

I've a feeling this may be too cliche though?

umbrellasky
03-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey Theresa, crikey I haven't commented yet!! how did that happen?

Well anyway...gosh sooo many ideas!! I really like your first one :)

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

Elsie
03-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey Therry - cliche or not, GREAT work with the values in that last sketch! Your practise is really paying off :D!

*sips coffee* So how are things? ^^

paperclip
03-03-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm busy, as usual....plugging away at my concepts! Tomorrow I'm going to do a few all in a row and see which one I want to do the most. Stand by for voting!

JTD
03-03-2006, 06:53 PM
paperclip, don't you have a job to go to, or at least have some sleep ye be needin'? You know that if you're doodling and someone slaps you on the back your pencil will be stuck to your hand forever? You knew that didn't you?

P.S. Leo and Mibus are researching the possiblity of getting you your own server for CGTalk.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/aetsch013.gif (http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smilies.html)

Maladie
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Theresa,

hmmm...how good is your Dutch? That's my first language, so everything I ever wrote is in Dutch...
anyway school put me off writing for a while. I do like literature but always focusing on how to write new and enlighting stuff just killed my creativity. I'm glad I'm finding it back now in CG:).

When will you pick THE scene? And will it have Robbie Williams, jugglers, balloons or all of the above?

paperclip
03-03-2006, 09:01 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141419686_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141419686_large.jpg)

here's a colored concept sketch- i was playing around with skin tones and it evolved into this. These are a couple of pre-evolution apelike people hitching a lift into 'human place'. If I went with this concept, the car would be totally different, maybe a van with rastafarian stuff on it?

FrozZT
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
hellö! :)
Nice start and sketches.. The left guy looks a little bit retarded :p. Keep it up! Good luck and have fun! later..

Glosep
03-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Great sketch, I like your characters and the style. Keep going!

paperclip
03-03-2006, 09:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141421503_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141421503_large.jpg)

Here's a color correction of the previous sketch- I felt it didn't really suit the 'mood' I was going for and it was annoying me!

paperclip
03-03-2006, 09:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141421912_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141421912_large.jpg)

I'm using this sketch primarily as practice balancing color and values- up till now it's been all values.

Tomorrow I'm gonna do more concept sketches, then on sunday I'll pick the concept and run with it.

paperclip
03-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Dear Lord, I'm looking at my sketch at another monitor and it looks AWFUL on this.

I'm worried. Which computer is showing the colors correctly? Would everyone mind telling me which colors they see in the ape people?

umbrellasky
03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
The ape people look brownish, with some slight brushstrokes of orange in places :)

Looks good though, the top one, against the light blue sky, I really like that one :)

paperclip
03-03-2006, 09:52 PM
As I suspected...on my laptop, they're a flesh and pinkish color.

:(

I NEED to calibrate my laptop monitor...but would that mess up the colors so much? Could there be some other reason for such a huge color deviation?

AlyFell
03-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I get the same problem Theresa. I'll do something on my computer at home, post it, and then look at it at work and everything is different. Something I've learnt is always do my final colour balancing at work where I have a better monitor and graphics card. To me at home they look yellowy brown with bits of orangy pink.

paperclip
03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
So how do I know which computer has a better monitor?

The one I'm working on is a laptop, the other one is a pc. :argh:

paperclip
03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141426110_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141426110_large.jpg)

Better? Or not?

I'm thinking about doing the challenge on a different computer. How does THIS one look to you?

bandro
03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
He he the concept's fun, i saw the color flesh and the zones in light a little bit yellowish, hope it help you
Goooddd luucckkkk :bounce:

paperclip
03-04-2006, 12:56 AM
This one is definitely not the one I'm doing- it's practice for skin colors...but it just happened to fit the theme. :)

It may look like the other computer is the way to go though.

paperclip
03-04-2006, 02:33 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141439629_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141439629_large.jpg)

color concept- these two little guys are, in their dreams, going on a trip through a land where they are giants. I think I'd give them more interesting gear though.

Is it just me, or does my colored work seem way worse? I need to work on my colors!

....After I choose the concept (sunday) then I will embark upon a full week of color scheming. Bet you can't wait, eh? :D I'm actually rather looking forward to it...

paperclip
03-04-2006, 10:01 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141466505_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141466505_large.jpg)

This couple live alone in the lovely mountains of Fruiscland. However, the gold supply has run out so the husband has to go off to work in Joe's bakery in order to bring home the bacon..

KOryH
03-04-2006, 10:20 AM
This couple live alone in the lovely mountains of Fruiscland. However, the gold supply has run out so the husband has to go off to work in Joe's bakery in order to bring home the bacon..

Yeah, duh, I mean it's totally obvious.
seriously cool sketch.

Elsie
03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Haha, great sketch Therry! Girl, you are improving at just light speed - I'm seriously impressed! The little boys are fabulous too, a lot of character to them. I'm really enjoying your thread so far :)

Elsie
03-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Dear Lord, I'm looking at my sketch at another monitor and it looks AWFUL on this.

I'm worried. Which computer is showing the colors correctly? Would everyone mind telling me which colors they see in the ape people?

Sorry hon, didn't notice that when I was posting before - but I have the exact same problem and was worrying about it myself. To me, the monkeys don't look brown at all, they look 'pale golden'. I find colour very important, and well...:cry:...it's so confusing. I think I'm going to save up for a Spyder.

paperclip
03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
A Spyder, eh? *googles* Does anyone out there have one and if so, could you tell me how you found it?

Edit: Wow, $$$$.......

Elsie
03-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, they are expensive :cry: but from what I hear, totally worth it. I don't know, I guess it depends on how vital colour is to your pieces - I know that I always get a little freaked when I see my current picture on another screen and it looks like trash >_< so it has been a serious consideration of mine to buy for a while. I'm still dithering though. As for people on here who have one - I think if I remember correctly, Jonny Duddle has one, probably amonst many of us that do hehe.

MVDB
03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
This last sketch, very good! Dad has a lot of personality.. Concept's funny to.
Is he realy going by bike to work? Everyday? Must be some baconlovers than, heh? :D

Art2
03-04-2006, 11:03 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141466505_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141466505_large.jpg)

Holy Cow!! :bounce:
Great sketchin'! I'm loving it!

I look at my stuff on 4 different monitors :D. If they look acceptable on each, I'm satisfied. It's always a shock though if I look at my work on somebody else's monitor which is not calibrated :argh::argh::argh:

LadyMedusa
03-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I really like your last sketch aswell :)
The clouds bother me a little though ,since they follow the mountain edge, but I guess its a little early to say at this point

paperclip
03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
This last sketch, very good! Dad has a lot of personality.. Concept's funny too.
Is he realy going by bike to work? Everyday? Must be some baconlovers than, heh? :D

The journey only takes him 8 hours each way- anyway, it's worth it for his family, right?
Also...
It's Fruiscland--the national meat is bacon!

See?

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4861/funny3xm.jpg

paperclip
03-04-2006, 07:25 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141500319_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141500319_large.jpg)

Ooohhh....sweeties....
This concept should speak for itself! She's off on a journey and, well, it may look like the journey's ending, haha, so maybe not appropriate for the theme??

Ok, the week has come to an end--- DO YOU THINK I should continue the concepts, or pick one now?

I have 14 concept sketches up so far. Do you think that's a wide enough range or should I explore more?

Maladie
03-04-2006, 07:41 PM
For the love of god...just PICK one!!!:) Honestly, what can another fourteen or even forty sketches bring you? No, I'm just kidding but I do think you've got to trust your concept skills at this point, because there's a bunch of good ideas already out there...you know it!:) My personal top three:

three: the cowboys
two: the journey to the middle of the earth
one: the robots on the way to becoming human

Told you why already, maybe my choice leans a bit heavily on character/dramatic quality, but I think the robots have a solid composition behind them as well. Howgh! I have spoken. *takes of indian chief hat*

Anybody else make a top three? (aaahhh...)

paperclip
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
My personal top 3 so far, in no order:

robots
journey to the center of the earth
joe's bakery.
cowboys.

Ok then...top 4...

My final will probably be one of these. Suggestions are more than welcome.

MVDB
03-04-2006, 10:30 PM
The journey only takes him 8 hours each way- anyway, it's worth it for his family, right?
Also...
It's Fruiscland--the national meat is bacon!

See?

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4861/funny3xm.jpg

hahahaha! :applause: Lol, made me laugh...
oh, only 8 hours.. That's easy.. He'll be training the bacon right off..

dunno, 'bout the you making more concepts, cause maybe you can't see straight no more when you'll make some more, know what I mean? The more you make the more difficult is get's to pick one.. ;)

BaronImpossible
03-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I enjoyed looking through your concepts, some great ideas. I liked the mice, myself.

paperclip
03-05-2006, 08:47 AM
Really? How come?

I didn't really like the mice pic that much...it was too forced or something..?

Here are all my favorites, put together for easy comparision:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6922/concept36af.jpg

no. 2
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158542_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141158542_large.jpg)

[/url]
no. 4
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3984/concept87nk.jpg
no. 5
no. 6
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141295706_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141172940_large.jpg)
no. 7
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141336105_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141336105_large.jpg)
no. 8
[url="http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141340004_large.jpg"]http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141340004_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141335701_large.jpg)

no. 9

9http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141396915_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141396915_large.jpg)
no. 10

So.....which one jumps out most at you?

Art2
03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I like them all... ok, nr 2 :)

Haha, I was afraid you'd turn into Squib, heheh, with all those cool concepts :D

Agamemnwn
03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Noooo dont say that , anything but a squib :D j/k
goodmorning Theresa . i like concepts number 2 and 9. The alien theme and the way it effects the humans going away is very emotional and u can work on the faces of the characters really nice. The mice concept is more pleasent look and more happy and exciting to get into the boat :D

LadyMedusa
03-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I'd say 2, 5 or 10.

paperclip
03-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Funny how everyone seems to like the mouse one. It was one of my least favorites.

Maybe I just have a bad eye??

(all the concept sketches are here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3305488&postcount=208) for these who didn't see them on the last page)

Maladie
03-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm sticking with the robots! I will be head of robot lobby and promise people good fortune if they come over to my side:). Mice...schmice!

Rudeone
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd say #1 combined with #7, think that would work really well.
I also like the cowboy idea a lot.

paperclip
03-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd say #1 combined with #7, think that would work really well.
I also like the cowboy idea a lot.#

Ooooh...great idea...I may knock up a sample of that and see how it would look.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

walrus
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Okay, so now that we're down to some all-gathered-together and easy-to-take-in-all-at-once finalists:

#5 is my favorite of these as they sit right now. It's just so dramatic (although it could help to widenthe picture on the left and give more room for the people taking the journey.)

#7 conveys a journey more clearly than many of the others and it's got clean values tso i like it too.

#1 is actually my favorite concept more than any of the others, but I wish you'd develop it more. It feels like you could easily spend more time working out more effective layouts with cleaner silhouettes. it doesn't read from any distance.

and lastly, I'm going to add #2 to the top list just so you can have more people pushing you to work on a concept that you're not happy with! :twisted: Go, mice!

-mike

Rebeccak
03-05-2006, 04:31 PM
NUMBER 5!!! :bounce:

paperclip
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM

and lastly, I'm going to add #2 to the top list just so you can have more people pushing you to work on a concept that you're not happy with! :twisted: Go, mice!

-mike

I knew my crits in your thread would come back and bite me! :twisted:

Bad karma and all that....ohh WHYYYYY....

Hm. I'm having a lot of conflicting points here- it sounds like no. 1 would be the best though, if it had better values. Maybe I should push the values more in that one??

Elsie
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Number ten! The Bacon one! Pleeeease :D

paperclip
03-05-2006, 04:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577313_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577313_large.jpg)

With the feedback I got, I surmised that no. 1 and no. 5 were the most popular...but one was missing a good background and one was missing a better story, so...I put one and five together and I got this. :)

paperclip
03-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Number ten! The Bacon one! Pleeeease :D

Hey, maybe I'll develop some of these paintings more outside of the challenge- it'll be fun and good to keep a few going. I want to finish the cowboys one, bots and maybe number 10 too. :D

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/1940/concept201rz.jpg

paperclip
03-05-2006, 04:59 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577968_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577968_large.jpg)

Another blend, this time between the bots and the arabian journey. It's good to swing around like this- so far it's helped me see the strengths and weaknesses of each painting.

EDIT: Starting to feel a little overwhelmed now...where to start..what to do...aiieee...

umbrellasky
03-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I really like this last design! I like the composition and the characters :)

paperclip
03-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I think I'll go with one of the last 2.

A big 'THANK YOU' to everyone who has helped me so far, I've gained some invaluable crits that I learned a lot from, which hopefully I can carry through to the final piece.

walrus
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
The second to last one - the one that combines the people all saying goodbye with the dramitac sky - is easily my favorite of everything. You've got drama, you've got strong values, the silhouettes are starting to read better, it clearly fits the theme (I never quite "got" the bots one.) So that's my vote.

And while it's a lot easier to have just come up with one solid idea from the start (I'm envious of Jonny: Nailed it on the first try this time 'round, he did) at least we end up with multiple ideas to work on beyond the challenge. I know I'm getting at least 2 (and counting) paintings out of this... Now to just pick one! :-)

Thanks for your continued feedback in my thread, btw. I may not always agree with you, but it's nice to have someone pay attention and tell me what they think!

-mike

makaron
03-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I really like this last one too... really dramitic, should suit your paintingstyle perfect :)

Maladie
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Theresa,

despite my strong feel for the bots I think you really nailed it with the boat in the sky!

The people hugging goodbye give it (in my opinion) a sense of doom, as if the ship is gonna carry them to another world from which they're very unlikely to ever return. This is enhanced by a flying boat being such a surrealistic means of transport. Also it has a strong cultural connotation in things like 'The Flying Dutchman' etc (but maybe that's because I'm dutch...).

Yada, yada, yada. Good job, girl, I learn a lot from following your process. You have a great working base with this sketch (and the others!)

(The combination bots-people I thought was really weird. If the bots are embarking on a journey why are the people hugging goodbye? Somehow seems off)

paperclip
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Oooh...thanks makaron and maladie and especially maladie for your continuous support. I really appreciate all your analyzing.... wish I read dutch, I like your style of writing, I'd love to read your stuff. :(

Walrus: cheers for helping me make my final choice. I wish I was as good an artist as you are and the way you are so helpful is positively heartwarming. I like lurking in your thread, I could sense you coming close to choking me a couple of times though...sorry about that! You are the walrus, goo goo g'choob... no one else but youuu..

walrus
03-06-2006, 02:42 AM
I'd hardly call it lurking in my thread, Theresa, when you've easily posted more comments that anyone else in the entire thread! (It doesn't hurt that you're online here something like 20 hours out of each day... or at least it seems like it!) But anyhow, happy to help... and happy to get your help. That's why we're really all heare, isn't it? If i wanted to make art without any outside influence, I'd just pull my DSL cable and go it alone out in my garage. But that's not any fun...

Nice, well-written argument from Maladie, btw. :thumbsup:

-mike

MichaelZHsee
03-06-2006, 03:24 AM
hie theresa~it seems like u have quite a strong and bold concept here and the sketches are solid,just a slight comment on the composition for the last one,i'd place the character on the top right alil futher to the right,perhaps not directly on top the the hugging characters.completely agreed on what mike mentioned about the dramatic sky.i'll come back for more updates my friend:)

paperclip
03-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Hey sh@ke, it sound like you and everyone else are on a different page, I think they are referring to the pic with the ship in the clouds and you're going for the bots concept. I agree with you about the bots btw. It's a concept I may continue some other time, but not for this challenge- it doesn't fit properly...

MichaelZHsee
03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=paperclip]http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577968_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141577968_large.jpg)

i'm actually refering to this piece about the guy on the top of the hugging couple:)

paperclip
03-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Yup, I thought so. I'm not working with that piece- I'm going for this one:

http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/1940/concept201rz.jpg
Hope you're not disappointed!

I understand what you mean though- the guy in the background really does take away from the couple. If I were to go with that concept, I would have removed the two robots from the foreground.

MichaelZHsee
03-06-2006, 10:31 AM
haha okie~some misunderstanding here,infact~i like the one with ship.haha:scream:its very much better compositionally:)

paperclip
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
haha okie~some misunderstanding here,infact~i like the one with ship.haha:scream:its very much better compositionally:)

I agree! That's why I'm going with that one. :scream:Someday I'll be a good artist, then I may have 'fantastic' pieces, but for now I'll have to settle for that one....

Gotta say I love your piece, btw. Keep going, don't you give up on us!

Mu
03-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Someday I'll be a good artist, then I may have 'fantastic' pieces, but for now I'll have to settle for that one....

please, no self-chastising! Let us do that for you!:scream:

Unfortunately, though, there is nothing to chastise you about. I am intruiged and fascinated by your beautiful greyscale work and only wish I could get my composition to work like you are doing...

(been re-reading that Straub article on composition again and wow! Do I suck. Been trying all weekend to fit my characters into a frame. So you followed a really great approach with trying to get some thumbnails together that work. :thumb[nails]sup: :D )

paperclip
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I see something already- the background and the foreground seem too separated. I need to link the two better. Suggestions?

paperclip
03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141672779_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141672779_large.jpg)

Here's the first color concept for this one. I refined the clouds somewhat. I have two problems with this one- first, that refining the clouds may have lessened the dramatic impact and secondly, that the colors are too predictable....more color wips will come soon though.

BrutalMonk
03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
really nice work there Paperclip! Great colors .. i love the clouds and the idea too! Keep the good work up! And good luck ;)

Maladie
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Mister Mu, could you please tell me where 'that Straub thread' (or something) is? I am struggling so much with composition right now...

I hereby declare that I find shrubs, grass, mossy trees and rocks UNINTERESTING. No, I'm kidding, just really frustrated. I can't seem to picture my characters in a scene...unless it's they're being swallowed by big canvasfilling void which has no shape or colour.:scream:

Theresa, thanks so much for your kind words. I quite missed your coloured one (for two hours, that is:)) but I like it, I think you're wise in keeping the scene pretty dark overal. The ship is looming:) over their heads...how did you get to make such plastic, rich compositions? What did you start practising?

yoitisi
03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Hmm its all very dark I think :) I think it helps if you decide what is more important: the ship or the characters in the foreground. Make one of them lighter. Right now you have two focus point and both are equally important.

paperclip
03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141673810_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141673810_large.jpg)

Color scheme 2- but this one seems a bit too fantasy like. I wanted it to have more of a realistic/cartoony edge. Hmm...oh, darnit. I may have to go with a different concept to suit my style??

paperclip
03-06-2006, 08:06 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141675616_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141675616_large.jpg)

Color concept 3- I had the idea of making the clouds more like... waves..to go with the ship. I also thought lighter characters would add to the interest. Better detailing there and all that.
The ship, when finished, would be rather detailed.

paperclip
03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141676308_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141676308_large.jpg)

Here I reshifted the values all around in order to suit the original composition more.

yoitisi
03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
:) again I have have to say something about the lighting if you don't mind:

I think it's better if you make the ship in the air blend in a bit with the clouds, and make the characters in front darker than the ship. Reason is that things that are dark look closer to the viewer than things that are further away, and the characters are closest to the viewer here . Also, you have a strong backlight (that the right word for it?) so a great deal of the chars will be in the shadow, while the clouds diffuse and reflect the light a bit so the ship gets light from all directions I think.
I like the clouds forming a wave though, great idea :)

Rebeccak
03-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Ooh, this is looking great, 'Clippy! :thumbsup: Really liking your work here...keep it up chica! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

paperclip
03-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Ermm.....no...it's looking way too bland now.

*stumped*
What to dooo....oh....hmmm.....darnit...:cry:

Maybe a different concept?

paperclip
03-07-2006, 12:00 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141689608_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141689608_large.jpg)

I tried flipping the ship over- I think the composition may work better this way...

I'm still not happy with this picture. I think I'll take a day off from it and then look at my other concepts and see what I'll do then.....I do have 3 months after all. :twisted:

Damn people like mecha hate chimp and nebezial, they're practically finished! :scream:

MechaHateChimp
03-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Damn Theresa, your colors look real good. I like the comp flipped as well, its got a natural flow from left to right now.

paperclip
03-07-2006, 12:07 AM
speak of the devil! :eek: