PDA

View Full Version : The Journey Begins Challenge (2D) Entry: Theresa Ryan

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Ramitxon
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi Paperclip, I think your color comp looks really good. Think of what you can do in three months... it will be fantastic.

PaulHellard
03-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi Theresa,

I agree with the guys there. The swapping around of the boat really balanced the composition.

You go girl! ( . . . sorry, that was so 20th Century)

zachlost
03-07-2006, 06:16 AM
I'm loving the colour. subtle and soft. looking forawrd to seeing how it develops.

paperclip
03-07-2006, 07:54 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141721688_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141721688_large.jpg)

When I looked at the last picture, it looked a little too subtle and soft for the dramatic look I was going for, so I pushed the clouds more into the way of the water and also removed the castle in favor of a stretching, mountainous landscape. I think I can do more with this type of land and it also gives more room for addition of characters should I so wish.

Squibbit
03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
looks too messy, not sure what's goin on.. ship arriving on green clouds and there's
a big planet on the background?

that one dude's head looks like it has turned to a huge caterpillar

otherwise i dunno

zem
03-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Personally i like the messiness. It will probably become more clear as the mountain get more detailed, anyway.

Although I can make out the bag(caterpillar) a man with a caterpillar head would be cool!:)

How about some cloud dolphins or wind mermaids close to the bow of the ship?

You should most certainly keep the mountain as it devides the land from the clouds. You run a risk of making it all look like a gigantic wave otherwise.

Lemog
03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Well Therie... I'm very late here... but I want to find time to run under these many pages of thread... I saw "all" different project... and many of them was more of just a little interesting... really impressive of feeling and imagination... and finally, with the end of pages, before I can give my advice, that seem to take a very good way... I really like the actualm orientation... even if the people part seem a little dense... especially if we compare with the left part just under the clouds... maybe these persons must be more present, to increase the human aspect of the Journey...
...some persons more close... and much other far will contribute to give much detph... certainly very important to visualize your scene, and give this feeling of adventure and travel... we already must feel the distance...

...I just hope you understand my thoughts wrote in my approximative english.

...best wishes for your project, already very sensitive of your art Therie... :)

elgrozni
03-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I prefer the previous sketces where charaters are darker then the background. It works better to me... perhaps you should use a light of different colour and only by speculars defined materials in the foreground.. Otherwise cute stuf :thumbsup:

paperclip
03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I know what I need to do- if I even keep this concept at all, I need to make it more human, far more human-- bring in the people and make them the main focus of the story, rather than the clouds/ships/sky.

I think I'm making a mistake by focusing too much on the landscapes in my work- it can only take you too far. I'm reconsidering the 'zeppelin to mars' concept...I like the way the people are close up, you can see them all waiting and get the personality of each person going better than maybe you can in this picture. Also more opportunity for humor.

Lemoggy: ce n'est tonne anglais...c'est le francais des nous. (does that even make sense?? Been many years since first year french, lol. Can't believe I got an A in my junior cert french, just as well I did german for the leaving cert!)

zem: I did consider having sea gods, horses and stuff up there..I may still try that out...thanks for the prompt!

Elgrozni: It does make sense, but at the same time I wanted the characters to be easy to see...I don't want them to be so dark you can't see who they are and what they're doing...oh, darnit...

Squib: I totally agree with you. Really. Thanks for your honesty, I really, really appreciate it.

hmedia: Having the editor of ballistic media tell me to go, girl is :blush:... man, I feel so inadequate beside all the great artists here, the only thing I have going is the fact that I'm just too darn tenacious. :)

zem
03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
If you are afraid of getting the characters in the front too dark, you could add a second light source, like a red landing light.

or a neon "stand here" sign...:D

Lemog
03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I need to make it more human, far more human
...well resumed :thumbsup:

Agamemnwn
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi theresa :D,
not sure where u are going with this. maybe put the ship comming out of the clouds and not on them and put another light source near the people in the foreground to light them as well.
right now u cant really see if its day or night in the scene because u have the blue sky in the middle but then on top of the clouds is dark. hope i am not hursh just trying to help

paperclip
03-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey, no one can ever be too harsh. I am here to learn after all and how can you learn other than by having people tell you where you're going wrong? These are the comments I like the most- from people who know more than I do spreading the wisdom. :thumbsup:

Oooh....wisdom..ooh...

and, just as a teaser: I'm working on a totally different concept, seeing how that one will turn out. Anyone care to guess which one it is? :scream:

Nikolay
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Very interesting color!.. I like your sketch.

Good Luck!

makaron
03-07-2006, 05:52 PM
a new one.. again... haha... :p could it be the flying carpet theme? I hope it is :)

paperclip
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141768275_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141768275_large.jpg)

I had a new idea regarding concepts- instead of showing them setting off per se, I could show the people WAITING to leave- hence this pic. Waiting for the interplanetary plane. Or maybe for another pic, I could have a more simple type of picture- a crowd of people in a waiting room...waiting. That one might be fun, lots of different types of people to paint?

makaron
03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I kind of like this new one :)

but a study on diffrent people waiting to board a delayed plane :p that could be funny too...

Mu
03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Theresa,

I think the storytelling aspect was stronger in the previous concept(s), if you don't mind my saying this.

Also I find it hard to "read" the smoke on both sides...

still watching eagerly what happens in here, albeit not posting too often. But this thread doesn't actually lack replies, does it?:scream:

paperclip
03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
It all seems to be going downhill. :argh:

Maybe I need to work out the sketches fully on paper first, THEN do it on the computer...it's worked before, might work again?

Rudeone
03-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Hahaha I like this one, a crowd of humans and aliens would be fun! although I still prefer your previous concept.
But geez you have the coolest ideas, every time I check back here I'm thinking "awh man I wish I would've thought of something like that'!" haha.
Seriously I think you should do em all sometime, especially the monk and the cowboys concept :p

And yeah why not try to sketch it out on paper first, personally I prefer to use that technique because you can already draw in all the details, wich you can change however you like during coloring instead of blocking in all the shapes first.
It's just a matter of what method you prefer.

Slav
03-08-2006, 01:08 AM
hahah i do so enjoy the last rendering. its soo delightful to me...

slickgreekgeo
03-08-2006, 01:20 AM
You latest concept is definitely an improvement, more original than most entries, and well done.

wildcory1
03-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Cool concepts keep them coming.

Lemog
03-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Personaly, I prefer the previous idea... with more human presence... and a good mix between people-machine-environment... :)

walrus
03-08-2006, 04:18 AM
So much for all of us voting on your concepts, eh? :)
I think this new idea could work, but not necessarily as you've drawn it right here. There's not as much flow through the picture, and the different species are all grouped together, except for the two on the side inexplicably seperate... and none of them look like they are waiting. If anyhiotng, with all the smoke, it looks like they just missed the bus.

I was thinking at one point of a similar idea: These days, especially with airport security so much tighter here in the US (and everywhere? I haven't travelled too much in the last few years...), The Journey Begins inevitably means standing for a really long time in an airport to go through security check. Or waiting at your gate for a long time.Which is kind of where your piece is, right now. (Though you're welcome to steal any of the above ideas if they'll help!)

Good luck, and don't sweat it: Plenty of time to go. Take the time to do some pencil sketches, give yourself the freedom to be looser, to make mistakes, and to do many, MANY sketches on the same theme, not just one!

-mike

Maladie
03-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I think...you're thinking too hard. The concept with the ship in the sky (at least imo) seemed more intuitive...with way more mystery and drama. Whereas this is a witty idea to me, and just that.

Not to be harsh, rather the opposite: I think you should trust your intuition! That comp looked great, the only thing was create a bit more space for the people on the left (which you already did by putting the ship right) by showing more sky, less ship, or a farther away ship...

indeed focus on the people, make them the focal point, and make them come alive...

I feel less and less inclined to make comments here though, because I'm really struggling myself with composition and my work looks like shit right now. Anyway it's easier to tell someone else what to do:). Good luck!

Squibbit
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
i dare u to pick that first concept up again and finish it , as i suggested in the beginning

Mu
03-08-2006, 01:15 PM
i dare u to pick that first concept up again and finish it , as i suggested in the beginning

You know, he may be right, I remember Glenn said something to the same effect.

It is a good concept after all.

bryanbeus
03-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Very funny concept clippy. Lookin' forward to more.

paperclip
03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm kinda ashamed of having that last one up there. I was working with the ole pen & paper today and I came up with a rather interesting idea. More later.

beaux: hope you didn't just look at the last pic! :eek:

ArtisticVisions
03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Too... many... great... concepts... can't... pick... :cry:

So far, I really like the "ship coming in the clouds" idea, but I just think the composition could be less "messy".
Keep on trucking, Theresa. :)

BaronImpossible
03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Ha, I love those chubby dudes - they're great!

paperclip
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141861796_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141861796_large.jpg)

Here's a fella and his wife- they just got a new crop duster and they're dying to go for a ride in it. :)

Background, obviously, would be added later. I was thinking about a crop duster flying over them and mountains maybe in the background. Also she might have a handbag or something else to suggest going somewhere?

ThePhotographer
03-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Theresa,

I gave up reading all the posts to your thread !

Anyway, this should be a dream theme for you - it fits perfectly with your tourists concept. I could have imagined that you would do a car stuffed with all kind of things for the holidays and some naughty children playing around it while the parents desperately try to get the last things to fit in there :scream:

Lemog
03-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Again a new one... héhé... my prefered one so far... more human, more sensitive... people are very present and in the same time, the parts without nothing exprim the travel... the journey... very good Therie :thumbsup:

Elsie
03-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Buaha, fabulous sketch Therry! It's been so inpsiring lately to watch your work coming along in leaps and bounds! So what happened to settling on a concept, huh? :p

paperclip
03-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Buaha, fabulous sketch Therry! It's been so inpsiring lately to watch your work coming along in leaps and bounds! So what happened to settling on a concept, huh? :p

Settling on concepts is for sissies. :twisted:

Ah, no. What I'm doing here is just doing a few in the hopes that I find something that I'll feel inspired to work on for longer than just a few days...which is hard, let me tell you, I'm notoriously impatient! (While tenacious at the same time)

Moggy: Exprim? That's a new word on me!

Lemog
03-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Moggy: Exprim? That's a new word on me!
mmmh...sorry... in LemogEnglishMouth, "to exprim" is "to express" :blush: (I must use a translator more often, better than me :shrug: ).

paperclip
03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Ahhh... I see. :scream: Well, don't worry, your english is far, far better than my french. I'm just sorry I don't know more french so I can spam your thread en francais... :twisted:

Actually...off I go to spam it anyway...

Thanks for the boost though, I appreciate it much...

paperclip
03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141938921_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141938921_large.jpg)

Concept...another...yes...what do you think of this one? I rather like it. I'll think about it some more and draw some people for the foreground using pen & paper. Can you see the characters from the last concept in this one? :)

Art2
03-09-2006, 08:40 PM
yup, last one is cool too... try flipping the canvas and see how it looks.
My eye is first drawn to the ship and the space around it, but it feels kind of unnatural to me cause I'm forced to read the pic from right to left. Could be me though...

paperclip
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
It does seem to flow better this way. Funny. Also I think because the ship is much more rendered and darker, attention is drawn much more to it.

I need to put more focus on the people still, make them more detailed and on a darkness par with the ship, without taking away from the ship too much or making the scene too dark. Also I think the composition needs more work. Sigh.

I still miss misty. (my cat, she died this afternoon. :'()

paperclip
03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141941518_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141941518_large.jpg)

Changed so that the flow..flows better..

Agamemnwn
03-09-2006, 09:04 PM
updated daily. yes sirree.
:D go clippy :D still too soon to settle on a concept brainstorm like crazy :D i like the sketch and the people gathering for the journey . maybe change the values on the boat to much the overall values on the image?

paperclip
03-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I want the two - boat and people and scenery in general- to meet sort of halfway. Thing is, I feel the people are too light, but to have them as dark as the boat would be a mistake. I'd like them to be more contrasty and maybe...wait...photoshop beckons...

makaron
03-09-2006, 09:28 PM
that sad news about your cat... :( but a hug from me and the GPs... :)

and you still on choosing among ya concepts I see...

Mu
03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi Theresa,

I very much like the flipped version of your last concept! Best so far, I think. Now integrate some flying carpets and all shall be well....:scream:

I still miss misty. (my cat, she died this afternoon. :'()

I am sorry to hear that. I once lived for four years with a tiny furry person (my former girlfriend's cat) and I think it's safe to say we became close friends. It is somewhat strange as I am normally allergic about cats, but he seemed to be able to control it somehow.:scream: He died of old age.

There is something about cats. Little persons, I say.

I know it is sad, but look at it this way: they just can't be bothered to stay too long at an uncomfortable place like ours...:)

Looking forward to your new concepts.

Add a cat somewhere.

paperclip
03-09-2006, 10:13 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141945989_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1141945989_large.jpg)

contrast played up.

Edit: Thanks everyone for your kindness about misty. It was sad as she was my friend and companian for a good few years- if I was upset, I went to misty and cried in her fur. Now I'm upset and have no fur to cry into. While I painted, she'd always be curled up on my bed or on the rug beside me. I miss that.

Anyway, the pic above looks as if the background and the foreground aren't actually in the same pic at all. This challenge is really frustrating me!

animalunae
03-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Smashing work Therry! I love it! Honestly!

zem
03-10-2006, 06:33 AM
This challenge is really frustrating me!

Then you're on the right track. Nothing really good ever comes easy.:)

Sorry to hear about your cat. Had one myself years ago that died, and it left a surprisingly large void. Your cat might be gone, but the love will linger in your memory.

About the picture:
I really like the new comp. I think that once you get the clouds right the ship will blend better with the picture.
One of the problems might be that at the moment the main light is coming from the same direction as the ship, which is very dark and is bringing dark clouds with it.
Not an expert, but I think changing the direction of the main light or making the ship bring light instead of darkness, might help.

Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Art2
03-10-2006, 06:55 AM
yeah, the flipped version is looking good! (patting myself on the back heh :D )
You're on the right track Therry.
I think you're going to finish way before the deadline, if you keep this pace up :)

paperclip
03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Then I'll just do another one and decide which one to submit for final image! :D

I have some time off from college now and I'm using this spare time to work on it...I'm loving it, just wishing I was a bit better. :D

I'm seeing all these fantastic artists producing beautiful stuff and I can't help wishing I was like that...well...maybe someday! Meanwhile, here I go with the practicing...tis a long road, yes siree!

and Marlon, thanks so much for the flipping suggestion!

paperclip
03-10-2006, 03:45 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142009115_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142009115_large.jpg)

In the last one, I felt it was lacking depth and drama, so I sketched out some rough lines in PS and built up a composition around them. I remembered a tutorial Kirt did a while ago and used that to help me build up that composition.

Edit: You can find the diagonal tutorial by kirt here. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=260368)

FrozZT
03-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi! Looks cool! The ppl closest to the cam could be alot bigger up against the foreground i think.. I like the colors.. Especially the ones in the above half of the image! :) Keep it up!

walrus
03-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah, beautiful colors in that last comp, Theresa!

(and sorry to head about your cat! :( )

-mike

beelow
03-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Hot colors foreground, cool colors bg. Really nice touch! I am satisfied with the compo, it still needs a little solving, Prolly wrap those people around the bottom of the image or extend the compo on the bottom some so we can see more of the characters! Good luck! I hope to see u stick with this one!:thumbsup:

makaron
03-10-2006, 08:39 PM
I really like this last one... :thumbsup:

let´s see the progress on this one, please

Slav
03-10-2006, 08:46 PM
probably enough ppl told you that its a nice color mix ... so i will reap the rewards... and just chill and watch you create. :)

paperclip
03-11-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm happy with this picture, I'm going to go forward with this one. I agree with beelow about the composition- I'm going to make the people larger and adjust the rocks a bit to be less pointy.

Next step for me now is to do lots of sketches to get exactly the right house (or maybe not even house, could be some sort of rock formation to signal the beginning of the bridge) and also lots of sketches to get a good ship going.

Also for people. A big thank you to mike (walrus!) for suggesting that in his thread, it really made me think about the way I was going about things.

walrus
03-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Happy to help! I'm sure great things will come from your hard work. :)

R-K
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
I really like the new composition, keep it up!

NOOB!
03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
really nice stuff!!

paperclip
03-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Ref material that I like:

http://www.sceneworksinc.com/Mini%20Golf%20Scenes/images/Victorian%20House%201_jpg.jpg
(for the house)

http://www.ncf.ca/~ek867/cliff.house.detail.jpg

http://www.holyhead.com/SHIP%20BY%20JETTY.jpg
and
http://www.maritimeasia.ws/turiang/images/drawings/ship_painting_500.jpg

(for the ship)

Agamemnwn
03-11-2006, 12:44 PM
hi clippy . the new composition looks really good . i like the starway to the ship and the warm/cool mix of colours :D go clippy go clippy

Maladie
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Wow, haven't been here for a while but you came up with something COOL!! Looks like you struggled your way through all the problems and now it's really strong! I like the height that you evoke by the 'ladder' to the ship and the colours. Keep it up!

btw, don't know how long ago it was but, I'm sorry about your cat...

paperclip
03-11-2006, 06:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142104148_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142104148_large.jpg)

I improved the composition and the colors. Today I produced some concept sketches for the house on top of the hill, I'll scan them in later.

(here's the old composition for easy comparision)
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142009115_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142009115_large.jpg)

monsitj
03-12-2006, 01:49 AM
nice compostion Theresa, but the depth of value seem a bit flat IMO , but it's just start ! goodluck Theresa

paperclip
03-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I agree with you, monsit. How will I change that?

paperclip
03-12-2006, 05:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142188277_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142188277_large.jpg)

I read some of johannes vloothius's stuff on producing landscape work and using that, I tried to make this...less flat...do you think it worked?

urgaffel
03-12-2006, 05:34 PM
You could try desaturating the background a liiiitle and use cooler colours except for points of interest to give it more depth :)

*edit*

Also, try desaturating the whole image (ctrl+shift+u) to see why it looks flat. The background has almost the same brightness as the foreground so maybe you can use that to push the valuse a bit?

paperclip
03-12-2006, 05:42 PM
It doesn't look that bad:

http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/9280/greyscaleconceptereeno3sg.jpg

I wanted the people to be the main focus, but it seems I have 2 centers of interest. Can I pull this off I wonder?

walrus
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I think urgaffel's suggestions are very good. Adding cooler colors into the background is definitely helping to push it further back. I don't think it's a bad thing to have two ceters of attention,... You could certainly make one more predominat by making it brighter (I.e. dimming the other one.)

Looking forward to seeing your concept sketches!

-mike

paperclip
03-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Which one should I make the predominant center of interest though? The ship or the people?

Oh...and yes, the concept sketches are forthcoming. :) I actually did a good few last night, but photoshop crashed and I lost them. :sad: :banghead:

umbrellasky
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
This is looking great, I love the style. Interesting work, great use of colour too :)

monsitj
03-13-2006, 01:50 AM
look good theresa! the value paint that urgaffel suggest is great , some artist work this way build their image in greyscale to see the value , you can seperate your scene now into 3 layer , foreground people , stair , and ship , try to darken the nearest part to camera ( people) and do it in step into the ship , you will see the depth come in ,
another tip is when you ok with greyscale paint , you can add more layer above and change blending mode to "color" and begin add color and then you can flatten them all , resize to final and paint detail in your way !
and about the center of interest , like walrus said , it can have two , but you have to make one greater than another one , if you ok with value , you can make the people bigger ,in my opinion , you can scale up people group to make them fill the horizontal because now if you cut the image into 2 piece , now your right side is heavy and left is empty

just my 2 cents, I'm new in 2d paint , hope this help !good luck theresa

paperclip
03-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Oooh...so if I put in a crowd of people, it'll look far better...I see what you're saying here, it'll push the perspective more.

Also, I'll try the suggestion regarding the values, it sounds like a good idea. :)

This isn't even that good of a picture! :scream: At least I'm learning!

Neubius
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
wow, really starting to take shape. great characterisation.
A

domclubb
03-14-2006, 04:45 PM
i would make the characters in the foreground the main centre of interest. I love this part of the composition. So much going on and it has the scope to convey alot of character emotion. I would also like to see the girl (hugging the man) have a sad expression on her face.

BaronImpossible
03-14-2006, 05:15 PM
90% of the time, viewing the thumb of an image can tell you if you've got the colour balance right, and I think you're well on the way. Two centres of interest is fine, as long as one is more interesting than the other! All in all, I don't think you have a problem here, but it's difficult to say for sure until you're further down the line. Just make sure you reduce contrast for distance; keeping contrast the same will push your background forwards and flatten the image.

(Edit: Maybe I should read other people's posts first instead of just repeating what's been said :D )

beelow
03-14-2006, 05:18 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth, thanx Baron! Yeah just as baron says less contrast, and I think the other guys explained it for u good luck with solving it ur on the right track!;)

paperclip
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Well..it's been a while since I've posted here and here's the reason why: I was thinking this pic is too ambitious for my (current) talents. I was thinking that maybe attempting something like this would be silly and just end up looking awful. I have a long way to go with my 'skillz' and maybe doing something a bit smaller (like post no. 2) would be a better option.

yoitisi
03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Hehe always reach just a bit higher than you think you can pull off, this way you'll learn the most.

Another tip on getting the foreground more separated is by giving the foreground the most detail. Right now, probably because it is a bit sketchy, you have a detailed crowd, then a bit empty foreground, and then you made a lot of detail in the middleground (at the base of the stairs). I think that also makes it look more flat than you would want.

BaronImpossible
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Well..it's been a while since I've posted here and here's the reason why: I was thinking this pic is too ambitious for my (current) talents. I was thinking that maybe attempting something like this would be silly and just end up looking awful. I have a long way to go with my 'skillz' and maybe doing something a bit smaller (like post no. 2) would be a better option.

Ahhh, just get on with it! Of course you have the skills! :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with what you've got so far, and there's no reason to simplify it (unless you actually want to go for something simple, rather than feeling you have to)

walrus
03-14-2006, 09:17 PM
What better time/place to try something a bit more difficult than when you have so many people from all over the world around to give you lots of feedback, both valuable and otherwise? If you're ever going to push yourself, this is the place for it! :)

-mike

beelow
03-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Do, I second or third on that? Which one, hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

Third!!!:D

Yeah, it is good to be ambitious, trial, padiwan, trial and error is the best way to learn! You have to push urself! If u get scared and run from it, u will not grow, experiment, and we will point u in the right direction Theresa, I say stick with the last, it will be helpful to get you good, I hope Baron, Walrus and I can convince u... is that evereyone...yoitisi! Had to scoll down for that name! Again, good luck with this!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142377901_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142377901_large.jpg)

I wanted to try coloring this to see how it would turn out. Whaddaya think? Or should I go with 'le project ambitious'?

mybutterflyiris
03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Wow, you've been busy. I looked at your challenge page and it's just all over the place. *head is still spinning*. Anyways, don't sell yourself short. Do the one that is just tickeling in your fingers to get out.

paperclip
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142448484_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142448484_large.jpg)

The people voted with their feet on the last sketch, so I'm going to go with this one. By hook or by crook, I SHALL finish it, I SHALL!

Do you prefer the lighter or darker version?

(here's the darker one:)
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142188277_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142188277_large.jpg)

makaron
03-15-2006, 06:02 PM
my vote goes to the lighter one :bounce: feeling of a happy journey... and more depth...

and the ship on a cloud... :)

paperclip
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I think so too!

So...where does one start detailing..?

Any crits VERY MUCH WELCOME at this stage (and the later stages too obviously).

paperclip
03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Should I make the ship ride in on a cloud or on a tsunami?

yoitisi
03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
i'd go for the lighter one too, and make the ship ride on a cloud. It would look more like the start of a journey instead of something right out of the spectacular challenge :)

paperclip
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
i'd go for the lighter one too, and make the ship ride on a cloud. It would look more like the start of a journey instead of something right out of the spectacular challenge :)

You're right. It's kinda hard to keep the composition even with a cloud like that though. I'm working on the ship at the moment, it's gonna be totally different - a 'Master and Commander' type of ship, 1700s. With billowing sails and all that jazz!

Maladie
03-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Beautiful job on the clouds!!

I find this thread improves on coming here less often, because everytime I come back now you've overcome your fears (or have been coaxed into it by Walrus:)) on something new! The last composition is really awesome, I hope you'll go with that. I can't be of service when it comes to details but I'll keep checking here what you make of them. Good luck again! Besides, I think you can't see it yourself but you have a cool style already, really funny but not crude. Love it.

Maladie
03-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry, looking at it again have one small PS: what if some of the carrier people are already on the (beginning of) the stairs? When I just looked back, it seemed a bit artificial that it's one big chaotic goodbye scene, but everybody is neatly waiting in one place. If it really was a ship there would definately be goods being prepared for shipping already.

paperclip
03-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Ooooh, great idea. I could have people lugging stuff up the stairs and pulling stuff around. Also I could have another figure quite close to us yelling out (for his kids to hurry up, the ship's a comin'?)

Thanks for that idea!

Stahlberg
03-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Very nice so far!
My first thought when I saw this was "Noah's Ark". There's even a song by Sparks about it with the name "Bon Voyage"! :)

I wish that there was some way:
If I could
wear a hood
or by the
way I stood
sneak aboard with you

So, I guess, if you don't want people to associate to the Flood and the Ark, maybe you should consider a cloud instead of a tsunami.

paperclip
03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142538529_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142538529_large.jpg)

I changed the ship drastically- this is the type of ship I wanted to go with from the beginning. I may make it larger and tilted over, coming out more dramatically and lower down in the picture though.

I also added a few more people, most notably the fella in the foreground and a couple of kids. They need a lot more personality. This is a placeholder for them.

walrus
03-16-2006, 07:29 PM
As urgaffel suggested earlier, it might be useful at this point to completely desaturate your image and just look at the values to see what parts are sticking out and what's getting lost.

I also have to say I really liked the earlier, bluer palette better. It lent itself to a strong warm/cool contrast between foregorund and background, hich I always like. Now with the sky so bright, there's not much reason for the cliffs and stones to be so dark (except to hide the characters and keep you from paying attention to them. :D)

Hope these help a bit...?

-mike

BaronImpossible
03-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Looking at it now I wonder if you should make the ship and the clouds the focus. I love those faint-orangey clouds against the blue sky, they're very grand. Maybe see what it's like to get rid of the light and saturation in the foreground? It will be tricky to avoid making the foreground flat, I know, but it could work.

paperclip
03-16-2006, 07:39 PM
mike: Looking at the desaturated image, I see what you mean. Problem is, I like the brighter sky and I was thinking- would it work if I made the rocks lighter and the people more contrasty?

simon: How could I remove the light and saturation from the foreground without making it look flat? Sounds tricky!

BaronImpossible
03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
simon: How could I remove the light and saturation from the foreground without making it look flat? Sounds tricky!

It is tricky, don't listen to me! I think it could be done, with just a touch of direct light, maybe on the heads and shoulders of some of the characters. Actually, ignore me, I really am rubbish at giving advice on other people's pics - In my own head I can see it, I just can't explain it :D

walrus
03-16-2006, 08:22 PM
thought os something else to add...would it work if I made the rocks lighter and the people more contrasty?

Only one way to find out: Try it!
But try this in particular: Just scribble on top of a greyscale low-res version of your image. Don't worry about image fidelity, keeping the people looking like people, anything that will distract you. Just work in greyscale values and wash some light grey over the rocks and keep scribbling 'til you're happy with the values, and then see how you feel about it... :)

Here's another thing to think about: Look through the 2D Challenge Forum (not like you haven't already!) and just look at thumbnails. Which pieces read perfectly clearly what they're all about even at the teensy size of the thumbs? Granted it's not a fair test, not everyone has their entire piece thumbed as their last post. But study the pieces that do work and think about why they do. You may be too close to it, but could you tell what you're piece is all about just from seeing the thumb? You can totally read artvandeley's, duracel's, baron's, minnihagen's, and others' thumbs... just like you could read all of simon's early comps before he put and detail whatsoever into them. Part of that is all clear, crisp values. Anyhow, it's worth trying to take your head away from the details and what you already know about the pieces the thumbs came from and just sitting back and thinking about why they read so well even so small.

anyhow, just some ideas for excercises. And then there's jogging... :)

-mike

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
very very promissing :) keep it up, i can see an epic piece in this :)

NinjaA55N
03-17-2006, 11:07 PM
I could just say that Im with walrus :) couldnt be said better. keep up the great work!

beelow
03-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Also to add to walrus is saying, just look at your piece as a whole. What u are doing is basically painting shapes, upon shapes! What I tend to do is solve my compo, first and foremost, because if u are trying to solve it in the end it will really hurt u in the end, which sucks booboo!
U can even squint ur eyes to check values; I am pretty sure that someone has told u that, right? but if u adding figures, ur on your own, miss, jk! u can also approach doing figures that way, by just solving values first! It takes some practice, to though so don't worry if u mess up! u also want to approach it loose, so don't get to bothered with the details in a piece! Oh no, I am getting tired, I having a loss of thought now sorry theresa.

But I hope this helps u on the way, good luck!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-18-2006, 10:51 AM
What a great suggestion,Mike. I knew I had to do something like that, but thanks for the push. I really want to improve through this one and every little bit helps, right?

So, right now what I'm doing is I'm working on that greyscale, working it down to the bone, so I am!

Another thing I did was I printed out the greyscale, quite small and I'm using that as a template for value thumbnails. I expect to do a few of them before I hit on something good, then I'm going to put it over the original as a multiply layer, then work it through. Another thing I'm doing with the printout is using it to produce some smoother line art, right now things are a little(!) all over the place. I'll put that over it as a multiply layer as well and then go from there.

:) goo goo g'choob!

Simon: I'm using your suggestions as well, trying out the greyscale like you said, with the darker area there and a rim light. It seems to work pretty well. I'll post some of my stuff later today.

Bryce: Will do! I'm still thinking about where I can shove an afro in. :)

paperclip
03-18-2006, 11:16 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142684161_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142684161_large.jpg)

here's the first stab at it- having the light on the people, like simon said. (pun not intended!)

paperclip
03-18-2006, 11:23 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142684606_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142684606_large.jpg)

In this one, I had the thought of rocks blocking the sun, creating shafts of light hitting off certain areas and so highlighting the areas that I want to be highlighted. :)

paperclip
03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142690781_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142690781_large.jpg)

Knocked out some highlights on this one to better show what I mean. I'll start working on a different value study now. (unless this one is very well recieved.)

paperclip
03-18-2006, 01:45 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142693121_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142693121_large.jpg)

Second value study. Going for a triangular compo look. It's not too different to the first, but it's difficult working with this sort of scene, it needs to make sense as well as look nice.

tuck
03-18-2006, 02:57 PM
So far it is really looking good.:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-19-2006, 09:57 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142765866_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142765866_large.jpg)

Here's another value study- pushing the rocks and ship, with the people darker in the foreground.

Maladie
03-19-2006, 08:36 PM
The last one looks the most 3D to me because the clouds now seem way farther back. Good work!

paperclip
03-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Is a toughie. I like the 3rd value study better, it just seems more dramatic, but you're right about the clouds.

Confused clippy. :sad:

Womgoose
03-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Erm I think I might be too late but my thoughts are:

Concept #1 (Original composition with extended scene to the left)
Sincere and touching and it is my favourite of them all but also epic in scope hehe, you are braver than I ;)

Concept # 4 (cowboys)
I'm drawn to this because of the monk? guy with the moustache lol
such a great character :)

Concept #10 (Man and Woman with mountains in the background)
Great composition and a touching scene but I think you will finish it in 5 minutes and be bored for 2 months (you work so fast lol).
Colours in this scene also grabbed my attention...

From the size of this thread and the colossal amount of concepts, I think you should go with the most epic scene possible or else you will burn through it in days hehe.

Good luck, great concepts.
I really look forward to seeing the final picture.

Maladie
03-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey, just a thought: I liked the brightness in no 3 too, but I like the darkness of the clouds in no 4. What if you combine the two and still have bright light reflect off the 'ship-cloud' and the landscape a little bit, with dark clouds in the background? But I'm really bad with lighting myself, so maybe it's a bad idea or you need two suns for that or something...

paperclip
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I could have the sun low behind the person's left hand side, reflecting off the rocks and onto the cloud- that way, I'll get the bright clouds and the darkness beyond!

Working on it at the moment. Cheers!

domclubb
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
i'd definately try a low light. It'll add alot more atmosphere. It's overall very dark in tone and some more light would break this up. I'd also like to see more light on the forground characters too. anyway, other than that, it's spot on.

BaronImpossible
03-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I much prefer the last one. If you have just a little fill-in light on the dark sides of the characters, I think that would do it.

paperclip
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142875873_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142875873_large.jpg)

I think I may be getting closer to how I'm imagining the overall tones and composition. If people like this one, I'll start working in detail.

beelow
03-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Maybe try to bring out the froground with more richer saturated colors! Wash out the bg with less saturated color and stuff as well! I am liking what I am seeing keep fighting this piece!:thumbsup:

paperclip
03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142897330_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142897330_large.jpg)

So anyway, I was looking at it and I decided the horizon was too much in the middle, but I didn't want to lower it too much, so...I stuck a bit in at the top. I think it gives it a bit more of an epic feel. Thanks to Maladie, Domclubb, baron impossible and beelow for the tips there. :)

Edit: Please ignore the weird lines. That's what you get for cutting and pasting as the devil may care!

Stahlberg
03-21-2006, 01:43 AM
I think you should make the cloud have a rounder volume, and the stair or ramp leading up, could have a nice sweeping curve to them... a paint-over to illustrate (hope you don't mind):

edit:
Ah! You just changed it! :)
I think the old one was better, though now that I see the new one I would add some sky at the top on the old one. The new composition seems to fall apart into 2 separate images for me, top and bottom. Maybe if you just added the stairs back in a bit?

jessicakempen
03-21-2006, 01:54 AM
looking good so far =) I also agree on needing more space in the top of the image. I like the adding of the second ship but the right side of the picture seems to stiff if you know what I mean. I know it will be improved upon but I thought I would toss that out there. Might help might not =)

paperclip
03-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Steven! Thanks for the paintover!

This is great- every little thing I can do to improve my picture is eagerly snatched up, believe me. I've learned a lot from it so far and your paintover gave me a lot of new ideas. Cheers!

I need to put something more interesting into the background behind the people though, the rocks seem kind of anticlimatic.

I really like the idea of the sweeping staircase, I'll probably do something like that, to tie in the sky and the ground/crowd.

Once more, thanks for the time you put into it. I appreciate it..very much...

XSsithi: I know the right hand side seems weird. It all, all needs to be fixed up mightily. Just as well there are 2 months left. :scream: I'll probably JUST scrape it in past the deadline. :argh:

Agamemnwn
03-21-2006, 08:15 AM
hi theresa :D great job on working with the colors and values. Like steven said and done i think u should still continue working with the values ( becca will be going over and over about this on you ) :D if you establish a nice transition for the foreground middleground and background for the image and then go through and use nice contrasts to bring out the different aspects fo the image you want the viewer to focus on and manipulate his eye movement in the image you are going to make a great final image with the coloring afterwards.

about the staircase would be nice to see it carved in the rocks and maybe make some ornaments or arches or some else mystical and decorative following the staircase up .just a thought. great job theresa keep it up girl :D

paperclip
03-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Hahah, yes, I know what you mean. I wish I could just use Stahlberg's painting for my final, but that would be cheating. :D

Oh and I agree with you, Jannis, I was thinking of putting some carved humans in the sides of the staircase. Maybe like a scene showing an exodus or something similar.

Also, the house won't look like that- it's just a placeholder.

paperclip
03-21-2006, 06:56 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142970977_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142970977_large.jpg)

I used a lot of stahlberg's tips in the paintover to fix this up somewhat and also put in a new concept I had for some funky trees...

BaronImpossible
03-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I like the funky trees, although I think you've overdone the colour intensity. I liked #4, with its more muted values. If you combine that with what Stahlberg posted then you're onto a winner.

paperclip
03-21-2006, 07:47 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142974050_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1142974050_large.jpg)

Like this, Baron?
I dunno.....I feel kinda funny referencing so closely to Stahlberg's paintover, like I'm ripping him off or something. What do you think?

BaronImpossible
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Yep, that's more like it :)

SideAche
03-21-2006, 10:46 PM
I agree, I like this latest one. Nice atmosphere.

beelow
03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Nah, I don't think ur ripping him off, he helped u, U took his advice, work with it! It's up to u to solve the rest, good luck with it again!:thumbsup:

roqsteady
03-22-2006, 02:20 AM
looking good

Art2
03-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Great new changes Theresa! And great input by Stahlberg.
The muted colors fit the piece perfectly.

paperclip
03-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Sound. :)

Now tis time for me to do some character sketches to come up with cool people for the foreground.

Question: Is it OK to use concepts taken from pics you've done before? Say if I have a character I did before and I like, am I allowed to use that same concept again (like, for example, the people from my 'tourists' piece, in my portfolio if you're interested.)? Not cut and pasted, but the general faces ?

Or would it be more advisable to start from scratch?

Womball
03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I love the new concept! You just need unique characters for it. The atmosphere is great!

MVDB
03-23-2006, 07:53 AM
Very dark strong looking piece..
Good work so far Theresa!

JTD
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Everything should be from scratch. But if you start with your tourists, I bet it will evolve into it's own character. Finding Forrester Spoiler -> Kind of like when the boy from Finding Forrester began writing a story based on one of Forrester's stories, but after the first couple of pages it became the boy's own tale - simply because he added and deleted things and after a while it was a completely different piece of work.

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
no, dont like it... LOVE it. you are about to paint a classic. love the huge dimensions of it and the great wide epic range, the mood is fantastic, by far one of your strongest pieces, ever. keep up the great wor, this looks veryy very promising!

Cyberone
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
comming along just dandy :)

background has some really nice depth in relation to the foreground...but i think that the middle could be pushed back a little more...but its still early stages...

again...looking good :)

anilduran
03-24-2006, 09:33 AM
that secene and the colors very good.
waiting for the upgrates...

FIDUCIOSE
03-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Incredible painting here!! I'm impress with your many sketch and thought.
Keep an eye on ya progress!

Samanthie
03-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Really nice work Theresa. Moody atmosphere is great.:thumbsup:

Vahn
03-24-2006, 02:58 PM
wow what a huge process theresa :D what a journey :)

The comp is really great now ..i cant wait what you'll do with the characters on the stairs :thumbsup:

very good work so far :applause:

Nakary
03-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Hello, great image, I like the concept very much, I can wait to see the final render with all the people from the previous sketch included.. lookin neat.. Good luck!

yoitisi
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey you've made some progress since last I checked :) I like how it evolves. The foreground is still a bit too dark, but I see you were planning to do that next.

jevinart
03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
beautiful style and technique. the soft brush strokes and vast perspective of the bridge are wonderful -- as is the choice of color. very nice.

paperclip
03-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Wow, what a number of replies. It's sure encouraging to see so much positivity about this piece- it has a long way to go, but that's what the other two months are for. :D

JTD: I agree! In fact, I was thinking I might use some of my characters from my previous pieces (see my portfolio) as starting bases, as I'm rather attached to them and they seem like they'd be good there.

Right now I'm considering the type of people I want- are they merchants, travellers, refugees....? Tourists?

Nazirull
03-25-2006, 09:07 AM
.. biblical ..

jeromoo
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello Theresa, looks like a Noah's Ark of some sort, albeit a flying one :D. make the ship look grander, like some sort of Titanic. Who knows its maiden voyage may also be its last!
Ha Ha. Don't take me seriously please.

I wish you all the best for this challenge!

paperclip
03-25-2006, 11:27 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143289634_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143289634_large.jpg)

A few different ideas for the type of people...

paperclip
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143297051_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143297051_large.jpg)

Color test. Thinking about how the people and their clothes will fit into the environment. Their personalities will be a LOT more developed, obviously. I will do one person at a time after I've determined the type of 'tribe' I want.

walrus
03-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi, Theresa. Good to see you thinking this stuff through, it's really going to help. Hard to say which to go with, each different style of character will bring something different to the piece. Like the biblical ones (4) really push the Noah's Ark angle, which in turn then pushed how you design your giant flying boat. No, actually, ANY choice you make in your characters will likely effect your boat design. You don't want arabic looking peoples flying away in an English schooner, it just wouln'd feel right.

Myself, i like the Arabic ones combined with the robes of #5. Patially because you originally started thiks piece as acaravan and those aspects were really fresh to me, imho. #2 doesn't seem too cartoony to me, it's all in how you render it, and they come off to me as looking rather ancient Egyptian (it's the stripes.) I'm not sure what #6 is trying to say, and I find the #1 couple too silly for your piece. (Also, I can't look at them without thinking of Schaal's entry, and he got there first.) But I don't think there are any wrong choices here, just a matter of preference, so I'm sharing mine, but I think you're good no matter what you develop as long as you follow it through.
:)

-mike

paperclip
03-25-2006, 06:29 PM
You know, mike, you got me thinking about the original concept all over again. You know, with the gems and diamonds and rich fabrics and flying carpets and stuff. Genies too.

I think I'll go with that arabian look- it'll lend itself to some cool detailing.

bryanbeus
03-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey clippy,
Nice improvement! I remember last time I saw it and it's come a long way. Keep it up! Nice composition and everything, and the concept is sticking with the theme too.

Just keep going! I wish I had better advice. Maybe, I guess when I looked through your portfolio I thought that perhaps it would be nicer if took more care on your edges. Try not using the air brush or felt marker. Take a look at Howard Sanden's work and Richard Schmid's too. You can google 'em. Anywhooten, coming along nicely. I think you'll do well. Cheers

paperclip
03-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the tip, bryan. I had a look at the painters you mentioned and I see what you mean- I do need to work on my edges. :argh:

Such a long, long way I have to go... I'm sick today so not really feeling up to doing much work. I'll try and do a few sketches of characters though. Keep an eye out tonight.

Kyena
03-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow Theresa,

I can't really offer any CC and there are already many much more talented artists here giving you great input but let me say that in terms of development and progress this is by far the most inspiring thread.

It's shaping up like a beauty and it's very interesting to see how much you developed during this.

Maladie
03-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey Clippie, where are you?

You see, your fans start uproaring already, so keep those character-updates coming!:D
If you're sick, you're excused and I hope you get well soon.

paperclip
03-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey!

I've had guests at the house for a while now, so been too busy to focus on the challenge. I promise I'll get back to it before too long!

EdP-Art
03-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Theresa, I didn't realise you were Irish until I got down the post a bit.

I like the look of the sketch. Lookinng forward to seeing the jewels and textures. I can't see where the journey is going, ie. there is no distant point where the group are going.

Looking forward to seeing your progress

paperclip
04-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi, fellow citizen of poblacht na nhEireann. :D Nice to see another irish one around here!

Can you not see the ship in the clouds? Maybe I need to put more focus on that? But how?

There are stairs leading up to a small rope ladder leading to a ship in the clouds ready to ride them away.

Samanthie
04-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi Theresa, Atmosphere is terrific. Maybe adding some mountain peeks under the boat would help to emphasize that it is floating above in the clouds. Also if the clouds were breaking a little in a spot or two so that the sky can be seen more may help. Just a couple of ideas, I really like this one so far.:)

OniricCreative
04-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Wow. this thread is awsome. i love all this development that is going on. The latest wip of the overall composition looks good to me. I love the mood you have there. For the characters I'd say that a style more with Robs and accessories will fit. But maybe you can combine elements and create your own Tribe that fits the mood of the composition?!!
Overall excellent work and progress Theresa!!:thumbsup: keep up the good work! :)

Gord-MacDonald
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Teresa - wow you are doing excellent work - so much improvent.

Gord

paperclip
04-01-2006, 11:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143938984_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1143938984_large.jpg)

Rough detailing begins. I want the characters fairly dark against the background.

Seeing it like this reminds me how far I have to go...this is just a tiny corner of the whole image!

FIDUCIOSE
04-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Rough detail but extreme feeling! wait for ya excellent progress.

Falcorr
04-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Good luck Paperclip! :)

Good values and interesting areas of interest. Values and colors predict a good outcome. Just do it.

makaron
04-02-2006, 10:05 AM
that start on the characters looks great :)
so now I wanna see more people... go paperclip, go :bounce:

paperclip
04-03-2006, 01:30 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144071016_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144071016_large.jpg)

Some more rough details for the characters in the background...the dots will become gems. :D
I'll put a camel in there and other such stuff. I'm hoping I'll get this finished by the deadline!

Edit: The eyes of the character on the far left will definitely change. They're creeping me out...

paperclip
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144074735_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144074735_large.jpg)

More people in the background, more detail...crits would be really helpful, especially regarding the lighting and arrangement of people.

Maladie
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey Paperclip,

these people-sketches have a cool atmosphere already! I think the three biggest shapes in the foreground (the man on the right and the old guy/child on the left) form a good triangle. Maybe you could have them stand out more from the rest to enhance this effect.

Also, for the contrast and 'story-depth' (if you somehow understand this mangled English) I would like it if a couple of people in the foreground (not necesarily these people), in contrast to the waiting ones in the background, were definably doing something. Like, sniggering, shouting, carrying, worrying, etc etc. Then the rest of the people would form a nice quiet background for that. Again this is just my opinion that is largely shaped by my background as a storyteller.

Keep going, you're getting back to a good pace! Let me know if this helps:).

paperclip
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Ik houd van uw idee van het maken van het verhaal in het beeld belangrijker. Om het even welke suggesties u me kon geven om de verhaalhoek te duwen zouden werkelijk prachtig zijn! p.s- is nuttig niet babelfish? (except the grammar) :D

EdP-Art
04-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Conas a tha tu Theresa

I still don't see the boat. I like the lighting, it has a biblical feel to it, salvation form on high. The group looks well except what's the guy on the right doing? Maybe it just needs more detail.

tog go bog e.
*EdP

paperclip
04-03-2006, 06:08 PM
what's the guy on the right doing?

ta se sochaideartha..hehe...seriously though, he's going to be gesturing for people to come towards them (like the viewer) or maybe that will break the picture plane, not sure yet!

a leitheid de thuras fada! :D Hang in there.

theresa.

Maladie
04-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I writing the way dutch babelfish quality has made me impression:). Cool, do you agree though? And do you have ideas yet for what the people are doing? Like your dutch and your style!

makaron
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
you gonna do gems... hurray... :) and those people really adds to the image... me like

paperclip
04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I just checked the calendar and there's only something like 7 weeks left. :argh:

I want to 'finish' with a full week or two to go, so I can keep going back for little corrections....better make a move, right? :D

Ego
04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Ik houd van uw idee van het maken van het verhaal in het beeld belangrijker. Om het even welke suggesties u me kon geven om de verhaalhoek te duwen zouden werkelijk prachtig zijn! p.s- is nuttig niet babelfish? (except the grammar) :D
Dag clippy darling. ik wist niet dat je nederlands praat.
But anyway this piece is looking good.

paperclip
04-06-2006, 08:37 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144355853_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144355853_large.jpg)

Here's another update- the faces seem too small and not well detailed enough- this will be rectified in the final image. Today I worked on the background somewhat and added more people on the stairs.

umbrellasky
04-06-2006, 08:59 PM
7 weeks left?? *faints*

This is wonderful!!! I love the composition, great work!

beelow
04-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Nice work so far, theresa! Doing a nice job now it is time to start to define those shapes more!:cool:

Glosep
04-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Excellent drawing, I like the image with so many people and also the dark colors that you used.
Keep going man!

adonihs
04-07-2006, 12:14 AM
great job man, sorry i havent commented on here before, but this is a really beautiful color pallete so far =) im loving the right corner of the pic the most, bravo !

Miah
04-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Theresa!
Cool! I really like the composition of the illustration, and the fact that the angle is facing upward to the sky is great. The ship floating in the air, along with how the stairway sort of spirals toward it gives a very nice surreal feeling. Love the idea of the trees extending toward the sky, helps to give an idea of how high the sky is, and also makes the audiences eyes flow upward.

Fantastic work! Keep it up!

Maladie
04-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey Clippie, at boring work so I have time to ponder a little on your image:).

I love, love the composition and the colours now. Really well balanced. The only thing that keeps catching my eye, is the little house on the bridge. I know you used somebody elses overpaint as an inspiration for it, but that causes it to look less 'clippie-like' to me. It's as though it's a different, more orderly and almost metallic-looking style. To me it needs a little work to fall into the same atmosphere as the rest.

The people add a vastness and an epic feeling to the whole thing that I really like as well. Also, I think it's wise you made them quite neutral. The environment they're in is really telling the story, and their plainness adds a beautiful, subtle suggestion of them being merely cattle being shoved around in a bigger picture they know nothing about. To me this also evokes a sence of doom, in story-telling we call this dramatic irony, where the reader is already aware of something the character hasn't yet found out. It's as if something terrible and unavoidable, like the sinking of Titanic, is awaiting them.

In this little scenario I'm sketching here:), it would also be a nice thought to consider having some main characters. Like Titanic is really touching (at least, if you like that movie) because you identify with the characters, some strong characters could enhance the scene's drama even more. These could be some people in the foreground that somehow look sympathetic or familiar. I know you can do sympathetic:)! I would like to see if you could pull that off, I think you can and it would add even more to this piece.

Last but not least, yesterday I was in a lounge-cafe in the city of Utrecht, and I saw a big painting of a weird couple. It reminded me very much of your tourist-series in style. If you like, and I can borrow a camera, I could post a picture of it (if they allow me:)). Would you like that? (Ofcourse means you can make money with it!!)

BrutalMonk
04-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Well i cant write pages, and long stories, but a line that tells everything:

This concept is huge! AWESOMe! I love it really really much! well chosen composition ~~

So this was it! Keep it up, this is one of my fav here :love:

Cyberone
04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Looking Like A F'n God!!! Omfg This Has Come Along!!!
:)

Watch The Perspective Of The Crowd But Im Sure Youll Got It :)

Yeah!!! This Is Sweet )

paperclip
04-07-2006, 05:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144431712_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144431712_large.jpg)

Looking at the image, I decided that it was too cramped at the top, so I added a bit of (undetailed!) sky to balance it out- this makes the ship more prominent and also (I think) improves the composition.

I'm really surprised at the amount of favorable replies- all I can say is a big 'THANK YOU' to Stahlberg for that paintover!

paperclip
04-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Fixed up the clouds a bit- they looked too artificial in that little circle before!

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5639/wip25ow.jpg

I'll send out individual replies tonight- I'm going for a run now!

EdP-Art
04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Maith a Chaileen, Theresa,

Now I see the ship. It's a great concept. It inspires a sense of wonder as to where everyone is going to end up. Where will the ship take these people? You could do a sieries of pictures of where they go next.

It really looks great.

Tog go bog eh,
*Ed

PS have a look at my entry and tell me what you think. Here's the link
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=341974

paperclip
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Enialadam: Yep, only 7 weeks left. Less, actually! Scary, isn't it?
Beelow: That's the toughest bit, refinining, refining, refining...what you see before you is one mess of...messiness...and now refining stage begins, afraid so...
snowan: thanks. :)
adonihs: I do too actually, I'm rather partial to the weirdly growing trees.
Miah: I really must point at Stahlberg for pushing the curvature of the stairs- before, they weren't as curvy and cool. I learned so much just from that paintover.

Maladie: Wow. what a great big letter! So nicely written as well. :) The more I think about what you said, the more I get a feeling for how the painting could be- a sort of predestination feeling pervading it in my mind. I see what you meant about the building and right now I'm working on another one, one that isn't so ..knobbly on the top of the stairs.

I would LOVE to see that pic- see if you can take a pic of it. It's cool being told my pic reminds them of something hanging up on the wall in a cafe... (the tourist picture is in my portfolio, just in case anyone reading this is wondering what the heck we're talking about.) I would love to be able to make money from my art, but I want to improve before submitting my work- it has a long way to go....

Brutalmonk: Extreme reaction, hey?

Cyberone: I'm working mightily on the perspective now. Thanks for pointing it out though, I could have missed it (and have had everyone looking like they're getting smaller as they come closer to us, haha)

Ed: go raibh mile maith agat- ba dheas uait sin! :D Scriobhfaidh me ar ais chugat- in fact, I already did! Go look!

Slav
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
hmm very powerful last image. i like it alot. :)

ramy badie
04-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I think what makes this so great for me is that despite the huge number of people depicted, I can still feel some sort of attachment to these characters in the bottom left of the picture. Great composition, very dramatic and powerful image overall. Can't wait to see the final image :D

paperclip
04-08-2006, 09:49 AM
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9565/wip26my.jpg
The more I looked at my previous update, the more the two people in the front stood out too much- they were looking away from the main scene, they looked pasted on and..well..they just didn't really gel. This way it seems a bit more epic- but maybe not 'personal' enough? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

So I did this! I also did some work on the trees in the back. Also on the building, but I doubt I'll leave it this way.

BaronImpossible
04-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Looking great, been a while since I visited. The ship is excellent, as are the sky colours. One thing that did stand out is that there's nothing in the immediate foreground. Also, I'm not sure of why the people on the right are facing front. Shouldn't they be following the others? If I were you I'd do a family, walking towards the steps, maybe with a child on the father's shoulders, or at lest something to connect the rest of the image with the viewer. Also - and there's no easy way of saying this - your building looks like a chicken.

Maladie
04-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree that the people on the left were standing out a little. At the same time, however, they formed a door to the picture for the viewer (if that's correct English:p). Now it lacks such a door. Immediately I feel more distant towards the whole scene. If I were you, I would create a new focal point in the foreground, like main characters, a family like BaronImpossible suggests, something. Personally I don't think it's a bad thing if they stand out a little from the other people (the crowd are, in the end, a sort of token people), but maybe you can find a way to blend them in with the rest. A good idea for that might be if one of them looks away in the direction of the other people, like he sees something that distracts him to the crowd and away from 'his' group.

Just my thoughts here, I just got up in fact...:)

paperclip
04-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Also - and there's no easy way of saying this - your building looks like a chicken.

:scream:

That made me LOL! I didn't even recognise that when I was painting it, but now I look at it and it looks JUST LIKE A CHICKEN. What the hell! There must be something weird going on in my head...some sort of freudian slip??

Re: the people- I'm going to think about what I can do to make it more accessible to people and not just have a 'token' crowd. Argh! Back to the drawing board!

On a side note, I saw this in the CGSociety newsletter:

CGSociety’s latest online challenge, ‘The Journey Begins (http://javascript<b></b>:ol('http://www.cgnetworks.com/newsletter/click.php?id%3d193%26url%3dhttp%253A%252F%252Ffeatures.cgsociety.org%252Fchallenge%252Fjourney_begins%252F');)’ has been very active in the last month, with about 2,000 entrants having finished their works, spread across 2D and 3D. 2,700 2D images are still a work in progress and nearly 4,500 3D images are still traveling along their creative track.

Where are the 2,000 finished works?? I haven't seen any finished works yet. I thought you HAD to submit all your steps? Also, these numbers add up to nearly 9,200 entrants. It doesn't seem like anywhere near that many, does it?

ldgree
04-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Uow!! very beautiful scene oO I love it!!

LD

paperclip
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/1912/wip23tm.jpgThinking about putting more people in- like this? Or is this too close?

Nigio
04-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Theresa, your images improves with every update. I like the way you´ve added people to the FG. You can do some nice details with them. Good job :thumbsup:

BaronImpossible
04-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Much better with those people in, now it's got some real feeling of "being there"

(cluck cluck)

paperclip
04-08-2006, 10:34 PM
(cluck cluck)

http://eightyford.com/logos/CHICKEN/chicken.gif

:p

Vahn
04-08-2006, 11:37 PM
hehe i like the guy on the right with the long nose :)
would be cool if the girls bow wouldnt go over his face ... but the angle of the peple is good now ... it leads you well into the pic. :thumbsup:

beelow
04-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Much, much better, capitalize now, put the icing on the cake!:thumbsup:

paperclip
04-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Erm...Baron, got any tips on detailing pictures? :D

I never know where to draw the line, where to begin, how detailed to go...

EdP-Art
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
It now looks like we're all on the journey to the boat and beyond. This angle really helps the whole composition. Those yellow packages seem a bit too bright compared to the rest of the picture, maybe tone them down a bit.

(Thanks again for the stairs photo)

*Ed

Samanthie
04-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi Theresa, I like the new additions and changes to your image. I don't think the new figures are too close and I agree with Vahn..you get a feeling of going into the image. Great job!

beelow
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Theresa, u don't have to detail the whole picture out! you can add detail to where u need it at, and that is it. I would suggest getting photo reference (go shoot ur own, that way u can get what exactly u want)!I would just suggest a light source on them clouds, detail on the boat just enough to know that it is a boat, and detail the shit out of the foreground, more contrast there! Just a few tips to get u started, I know that u wanted baron to help though. sorry I whoop his ass and took all of his money. I keep it hood and trill!!!:D :p

paperclip
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144633338_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144633338_large.jpg)

some concepts for the building...which do you prefer? It's no. 1 through to six, top to bottom and left to right. My personal favorites so far are nos. 1,2 and 6.

anzibon
04-10-2006, 02:47 AM
just to offer a clarification, cause the numbering could still be taken two ways...
1 2
3 4
5 6

here's my preference:
1. this is my favorite, flows nicely with the comp but it's still a very coold building.
3. this one looks pretty intimidating to go through, which can add drama.
6. cool other worldly building. (reminds me a touch of the Sydney opera house)
4. is acool building, but it stops the flow of the lines in the compostion.

thanks for posting these options. i think your piece is looking outstanding and i totlly agree that it's a 100 times better now that we're standing right in the crowd.

bravo,
~B

jeromoo
04-10-2006, 05:38 AM
1 2
3 4
5 6

Let me take on a different perspective here for you, so I will look at them on the practical/functional side instead of the design. Perhaps that will give you some extra ideas along the way:

1 & 2: They don't seem to look like they are made to be proper stations for the skyship, as they don't have the facilities or have too many unnecessary/impractical shapes/parts/designs. Unless they are used as emergency, and temporary stations where extra parts that don't belong have been built on them for this evacuation purpose. Think of the White House with its front part stripped down to make way for a very large metallic bridge. Something like that.

3: This looks like a station for the cable cars, so in my opinion, it fits the concept somewhat. There could be cable cars transporting a number of passengers to and fro. This design makes sense.

4: My initial thought about this concept is that it looks like the building on the backs of mumakil from lord of the rings. On the other hand, it also looks like a control tower/base. A sturdy bridge connecting the building to the ship will make it all the more functional.

5: This looks like a ruin from ages past that has outlived all its purposes.

6: What a creepy looking building. The left half looks like a head of H.R.Giger's Alien, and the other half looks like sydney's opera house (as mentioned already by anzibon). Again, it needs to have some convincing transportation method to bring those people on board.

My practical head chooses the third concept (the cable car station), because I think the viewers will be able to understand it upon first glance better. This is merely my opinion. I hope I am helpful.

beelow
04-10-2006, 05:43 AM
I thind same as u teresa, as they seem to flow with compo much better!:thumbsup:

The others do not seem to do that though!:thumbsup:

EdP-Art
04-10-2006, 09:02 AM
No 3 looks like a terminal and seems to work that way with the two bridges. No 6 looks like a monster's head with lots of teeth, I wouldn't like to go there.

It's really begining to come together. Chaileen maith

*Ed

paperclip
04-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Wow, quite a few replies and a lot of new ideas to chew on...

anzibon, I liked your comments, especially the one about no. 3 which wasn't my favorite to begin with.

jeremoo: Thanks for the lengthy assessment! Unless they are used as emergency, and temporary stations where extra parts that don't belong have been built on them for this evacuation purpose This made me realise what I'm doing with this piece- the people and the ship are all traditional, middle-eastern types, except the ship, they got that from the english..or maybe this picture is sort of like a view of the world in a few thousand years, when the designs are so merged that everyone just takes whatever they want..or is that just a cop out on my part? :D I don't want things to look like they don't belong there at all, so I'm going to make the building more traditional and resist my impulse for designing something new. I think using an older design, but putting things onto it to make it fit the purpose would be good- like they came up with the idea of flying ships and all that, so their technology has changed, but the designs somehow got left behind. I hope that makes sense.

Bryce: I agree with you. :D

Ed: I wouldn't want to go there either- funnily enough, the monster's teeth are actually windows. :sad:

W-I-L
04-10-2006, 02:18 PM

2 works really nicely.. simple and works with the comp..
i

Lithan
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I prefere the shapes of No 1 and also its variation No 2. Brava!

paperclip
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144699487_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144699487_large.jpg)

The building on top of the staircase always made me feel disturbingly precarious before- so I gave it a base! Now it's like a cliff, with a building on top. I imagine it like a sort of old middle eastern castle that's had bits attached to facilitate its 'modern day' tasks.

Srulo
04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
It does mak the scene to look more suitable. I do have one problem- don't you think that it's pretty steep climbing from the building to the ship? I think that people will fall back before they'll manage to go up the ship...

paperclip
04-10-2006, 09:43 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144705415_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144705415_large.jpg)

Srulo made a comment about the bridge being dangerous to cross- so I made it adhere to the health & safety standards of 2006, just in case I get picked up by the government for suggesting people should board flying ships in such an unsafe way....
p.s- ignore the man's face, it's awful!

paperclip
04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144706978_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144706978_large.jpg)

Mountains in the background: yay or nay?

kisalon
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
wow, very cool one!! Great colours and style! The scene looks wonderful and painterly. Lookings forward seeing more :)
Good luck and keep it up!!

makaron
04-10-2006, 10:42 PM
without the mountain it really looks like it sailing on the clouds... so I say nay...

or maybe a more of foggy mountain maybe? but your latest updates are just :bounce: like the people in the right corner that really drags you into the image... and I hope some of them still gonna get some gems too.. :) good work

Samanthie
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I really like this latest update and the changes you made to the building suit the image very well. Great job!

karajanov
04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
I like the composition and colours , but i think that you should start working on details . By that you will add more visual information about materials and i think it will become better.

Stahlberg
04-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Haven't checked back here in a long time, HUGE progress since I did!
I vote 'nay' for the mountains, the lower the horizon line compared to the ship - the more sky visible under the ship, the cooler it looks...

Love the building thingy, and the bridge. But the ship looks like it's tipping over? :)
And what are those beet-root looking things in the middle background, I guess they're like local vegetation or something? Down-play them a bit, take care so they don't kind of compete with your main focuses (focii?) for attention.

Falcorr
04-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Good atmosphere you got. I think youre really learning when thinking back to times you posted on cgtalk for first times.

I like that ship and the surroundings near it. Dont concentrate on the humans. Do them when youre finished that ship part. Its clearly the focal point..

bye! :bounce:

black-hand-77
04-11-2006, 08:13 AM
I like your composition very much. The atmosphere too. Shouldn't you insist on a character or two from the crowd more than on others? After all, character definition is a challenge request. I am sure that when it's finished it will look really great! Good luck!!!

ElectroNico
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Your pic is looking good ! Just one critic for now: i think the 2 front people were better with yellow hair ( your post from yesterday ), i'm not talking about painting, just about colors. I think it gives more relief to the foreground. Perhaps the yellow was a bit too shiny, but perhaps can you choose a color between the yellow and your actual version .....

jeromoo
04-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Hey Theresa! The building looks very Sci Fi now in contrast with the medievel/Fantasy setting. I can imagine there must be lots and lots of rooms contained within such as Registration Counters, Departure Halls, Waiting Rooms and the like. The cliff, on the other hand, looks very precarious because the building which it supports must be really heavy especially with the weight of all those thousands and thousands of passengers. But ignore me. This is after all a fantasy/Sci Fi piece where ANYTHING is possible! :)

The mountains in the horizon.... hmmmmm. I think if you blend it well into the background and layer over it with mist, you might be able to pull it off. To give the building some sense of being in a really high place, add a little puffs of clouds/fog/mist somewhere near the building and the ship.

Oh, the ship looks like its going to topple over and spill the thousands plus passengers into the bottomless canyon! ;)

elgrozni
04-11-2006, 02:32 PM
I think that you should get rid of that pure blackness left to the stairs. nice work though, can't wait to see it cleaned up a bit. Seeya :thumbsup:

jeromoo
04-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Theresa, I'm at work now. When I get home tonight, I will try to do some step by step on how to do the detailings for you.

thepineman
04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
wow what a dramatic looking scene you have there. that will be one of the sight to behold indeed!

the ship i think is leaning a little bit on the left side isnt it? or probably thats the style?

jevinart
04-12-2006, 11:56 AM
such rich texture and style in your work! love the depth you've created here, and the feeling of drama and tension -- from the characters in the foreground all the way up the bridge and to the ship in the background. very beautiful work -- can't wait to see the finished product!!

walrus
04-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I like how the bridge and the building turned out, especially the far right part which really looks like it's meant to hook up with the ship.

I agree with makaron and steven about the mountains. With them there, it almost looks as though the clouds may be obscuring more of the mountains and the ship is resting on more mountains, which is not the impression you're trying to give. Also, the mountains conveniently enclose all of the trees. If you keep the mountains, at least consider growing the trees some for that a couple of them break that line created by the mountains. But in general, if we're looking up at the ship, a lower horizon line might support that better.

See you...!

-mike

paperclip
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I just did a few hours' work on the foreground characters, when my computer shut down and I lost them all. :banghead:

I only saved an earlier version... argh.. computers!

jeromoo
04-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh man, that's really the pits, Theresa! You shoulda have saved every half hour! I saved the file every 15 minutes to 30 minutes everytime I paint. Oh and make backups to your external harddrive if you have one! Nevermind, when you continue it, it'll be easier because you already know what to do and could improve on that.

paperclip
04-13-2006, 06:02 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144951347_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1144951347_large.jpg)

So, here it is...redone...I'm not happy at all with them though. :sad:

How do you think they can be improved? They don't really seem to go well with the overall picture, do they?

Samanthie
04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your latest rendition Theresa. I know what that's like.
The face on the figure of the woman looking back over her shoulder has alot of emotion and I think works well. The two figures on the right I liked before when the man's face was partially hidden by the girl's hair. It added a sense of how close and crowded it is. Keep going!:)

Maladie
04-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Oh, WOW!!:surprised

These characters have an almost medieval sense of drama and heaviness which I LOVE. Well done! This adds drama and evokes sympathy just the way I imagined it would, great job! I think if you make them a tiny bit less sketchy they might blend in better. I have no problem as it is, though.

By the way, my friend will lend me her camera next week, then I can photograph the painting that reminded me of your style. I'll PM you when that happens!

Nigio
04-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Theresa, I think these characters on FG work perfectly well. They need some adjustments, specially the girl with the blonde hair, but their expressions are great, and the mood they give to the image is nice. Good job!

paperclip
04-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Stahlberg: You're right, the mountains do rather take away from the general viewpoint...I'll fix that up. The vegetation is giant beetroot and I'll tone them down, maybe just have a few little stalks peeking out of the ground. I put them in to make the background look a little less bare and also to provide depth to the picture.

Falcor: Humans are my favorite part (although you might not know it to look at the pic so far!) I'll work on the ship after I finish the people in the foreground. I've been working pretty consistently on my art for the past year, so I'm finally seeing results. It's a long road!

Black Hand: I'm currently working on it! :D

Nico: Good point, thanks for bringing it up. I'll see what I can do with that area, brightening it up would probably help the rest of the picture. Cheers!

Jerome: Thanks for your mini tut :D I really enjoyed reading it... crits you gave me, hm, I think I'll beef up the cliff some more, but right now there are little buildings built into the side of the cliff, can you see them? Good point about the ship, I'll fix that!

Elgrozni: There shouldn't be blackness there- it doesn't read that way on my computer, it's a deep purple-blue. Maybe it's your monitor? (or mine? :argh: )

thepineman: I'll fix it, never fear!

jevinart: thanks! This whole piece has been such a learning experience for me- I'm usually way too impatient to really sit down and work through all the niggles, so I've learned a lot- about colors, composition, hey, everything. I recommend doing challenges if you're a newbie, it's such a great way to learn, with people dropping by and helping you out!

mike: I agree with you about the horizon line, but ran into a problem- if the horizon line is too low, it'll be lower than the bottom line of the cliff. :argh: So right now it's about as low as it can go. I think I'm gonna have to get rid of the mountains, but I'll do something interesting with that area.

Samanthie: Great point! I'll have her cover up part of his face again, so it'll look more crowded...thanks for the tip.

Maladie: Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing that photo, it's funny that it reminded you of one of my pieces. I know they're still rather sketchy, esp. the girl with the bow and the woman with the black hair...but...hopefully later they'll be better.

Nigio: thanks, but I think they need a lot of revisions. I'm not happy with them...they're too predictable, especially the man.

I really hope I get this done on time!:hmm: :cool: :wip: :arteest:

ramy badie
04-14-2006, 04:58 PM
This piece is just so awesome, certainly reflects the idea of an epic journey. Great work on the people, this is really turning out great. My only comment is that I rather liked the idea of having a child in the foreground with a happy expression, like all the adults around looking apprehensive and worried and emotional, and the naive and innocent child there too just thinking it's all an adventure. Just an idea though, good luck with the image, regardless of what you do at this point I know it'll turn out great :D

OliveBeard
04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I just did a few hours' work on the foreground characters, when my computer shut down and I lost them all.

Argh! I hate when that happens.

Loving the texture and character in this piece! I know you may not like them, but I love the rich emotion drawn into those characters' faces.

Can't wait to see the final!

paperclip
04-15-2006, 12:31 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1145061059_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/12/9547/9547_1145061059_large.jpg)

This update took embarassingly long to do- see all the small faces in the background? No? Well, they took ages!

Elrond56
04-15-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm very inspired by the diversity in your characters as they are being developed. Are you planning to add some color from perhaps burning lamps or go with some reflected blues/purples . . . I like the ruddiness and touches of gold, but hope to see some more color as you progress.
That of course is a personal preference . . . what you have going on already rocks *)

hungthai
04-15-2006, 10:26 AM
WOW.. Amazing concept. I really like the atmosphere of the ship. Looks like it's sailing toward heaven.. haha. very very cool

TheFirstAngel
04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
looking great theresa. hehe, and happy eastern of course :)

makaron
04-15-2006, 11:29 AM
your characters really getting there... looking really fine

http://hem.bredband.net/makaron/chick_25.gif