PDA

View Full Version : FAQ - The Journey Begins

Pages : [1] 2

Mibus
02-27-2006, 11:09 PM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Thanks;
Mibus

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please email me (Robert Mibus, robert@ballisticmedia.net).

- Challenge-Specific -

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?
A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?
A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?
A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry").

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Q: How i can get out of this challenge?
A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No. The purpose of the "Challenge" is to challenge artists in creating original concepts and characters. Where's the challenge in using pre-fabricated characters as main subjects?

Q: Can I use Poser to make background characters?
A: No, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans anyway.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?
A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?
A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?
A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?
A: All post trickery is allowed and encouraged.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?
A: Why wouldn't it be? (yes)

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

erilaz
02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Just so you know, there is presently an error with submitting the TYPE of entry for the challenge. It may be best to wait until the problem is fixed.

paperclip
02-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Would you mind deleting http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322551 this thread? It's a multiple. Thanks!

monsitj
02-28-2006, 02:09 AM
hi! what's is " submit turntable" on the left bar of challenge page?:shrug:

Climax
02-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Hi there, Sorry if it is somewhere but I couldn't find the deadline date of the challenge :shrug:

Mibus
02-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi everyone! I think we're going to have fun :)

erilaz: Problem solved. Nobody should worry, it was just a typo in the thread titles.

monsitj: Ah! One of the small changes for this challenge is that 3D artists must, as part of their modeling milestone, submit a turntable. (It can be untextured and GI-lit).

Climax: 27 February 2006 - 27 May 2006

Kenter
02-28-2006, 04:41 AM
Does the turntable have to be full 360 degrees? Or can it be lets say 180 degrees?

Another question is the judging? How will it work? Who are the judges?

Thanks.and good luck to all.

iamawizard
02-28-2006, 05:41 AM
i got the confirmation for 3D entry

i did not receive any mail confirmation for 2D challenge registration

what should i do?

kira-hime
02-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Alright, this may be a stupid question here, but I can't see the thumbnail previews next to each thread, not only in the challenge threads but in the gallery threads as well. I've tried with IE and firefox, and poked around in my control panel but no dice...could anyone suggest what might be wrong? Is it just me? >.>

Thanks in advance!

Theta-Dot
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
May 2D or 3D entries contain textual elements?

Perhaps a quote or some short message which is meant to compliment the image.

If not, may the title of the image be displayed on some portion of the submitted image in a small black bar on the top or bottom?

beelow
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Robert-Question about the links, Are they suppose to be going to the Spectacular Challenge threads?? Because when i click those links they seem to go there, And are we gonna have thumbnails for the threads??:shrug:

erilaz
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
In reference to this:
Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

If you do not use a concept you submitted in one challenge section (eg. 2D), can you resubmit it in the other? The only reason I ask is I accidently submitted one of my concepts to the wrong section, and I don't want to be disqualified on a blunder! :)
To make it more concise, can I use a concept that I submitted and didn't use in the 2D challenge for my concept in the 3D one?

LadyMedusa
02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Oww poo, I got an SQL syntax error. The ' in my last name creates problems so I get an error instead of entering :( (I have not tried multiple times, don't worry... just incase the problem suddenly fixes... don't whant to overload the server whit duplicate post ^^)

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Este', [some numbers], [numbers], [number], 'Lady Medusa', [more numbers], 'Lady Medusa'
Not quite sure what they mean whit the part I bolded, Do this mean I have to find some sort of code for the ' (don't know what they call them in English DX!)?
-
Edit: What's a turntable :S?

Silgrin
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, after all I decided to try competing with the giants for the first time;) So I have to ask some rude and barbarian question. Please see the first sentence of point #1 when answering:)

Is it expected that all the stuff submitted was modeled specifically for this challenge? What if I decide to upload an image I`ve been working on from some time (never posted anywhere as a whole nor using previously posted stuff) and that fits the theme? If it is allowed, is it a problem that I probably have sent some fragments of it to obtain wip feedback on other forums?

paperclip
02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
I submitted a concept sketch, but it's not showing up in my thread.

Also, chiming in about the thumbnails: are we getting rid of them for this challenge or something?

Shaggy
02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
do u have to be a member of CGsociety to join the challenge?

R-K
02-28-2006, 02:08 PM
do u have to be a member of CGsociety to join the challenge?

no, you don't, joining is free for everyone, you need to be member of CGtalk forums I think (which is free).

gy615
02-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Mibus can you help me change the Thread 's titles
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322789

I write a wrong name , i want change the name to gong yi(not the simplechinese),thx.

jmBoekestein
02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
What's a turntable :S?

I figured it out, my mind was a complete blank on this one too heheh. :blush: It's your models from all views, you just rotate your model 180 degrees and render that out. :)

Cheers.

unwrap
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Could you be more specific about the "turntable submission", how is it different from the ordinary WIP and why are they separated? Someone said something about angles and I got confused :shrug:.

LadyMedusa
02-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Dubble post :(

unwrap
02-28-2006, 02:36 PM
I figured it out, my mind was a complete blank on this one too heheh. :blush: It's your models from all views, you just rotate your model 180 degrees and render that out. :)

Cheers.
It's not animation then, is it? :D

LadyMedusa
02-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Cheers.
As in an avi file or just...uhm.. different angles?
confused @_@ I am... or maybe I'm just simply stupid when it comes to 3D stuff :p

jmBoekestein
02-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Yep, no animation but the model turning in an avi/mov. If you hceck out some showreels from modellers you'll see often they show you the model from all sides. That's what it is. (I think, lol)

Agamemnwn
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
so its going to be a 360 view of the hole scene untextured and lit ? or we need to post a 360 of every model we put on the scene?

FrozZT
02-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Mibus :)..

If you get some spare time would you mind removing the 2 doubleposts in my challenge page: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9704

And also but not as important in my thread (the 2 edited posts): http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322786

Ill try not to be an idiot in the future... sry :p Thanks!

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I gues my biggest question is about part of the Challenge instructions:
It is recommended that entrants focus on physically small characters (bugs, Hobbits, Elves, Children, Faeries, birds, animals, micro robots - whatever) in a foreground setting against a vast backdrop of epic proportions (by comparison).
When it says "physically small characters", is it refering to actual small characters (like the ones described) or that the characters appear small in comparision to the scene/enviroment?

MVDB
02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey Robert, sorry if I missed this, :shrug:
but I guess the thumbnails are out/over?

Takes to much space or slows the server to much down?

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Mibus - This might just be me, but when I click on the '3D Entries Forum' underneath the banner on the 2D Thread page it goes to the 3D Spectacular Challenge...

OniricCreative
02-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi!! Are we restricted to only one upload per milestone? For example, I have to upload only one concept sketch on my WIP thread and then the next should be the line art? Or can I upload as much concept sketches as I want?

thanks!!:)

Loris_

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Loris - You can load up as many concepts as you want. Just select 'concept sketch' from the drop-down-menu each time. :)

MVDB
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi!! Are we restricted to only one upload per milestone? For example, I have to upload only one concept sketch on my WIP thread and then the next should be the line art? Or can I upload as much concept sketches as I want?

thanks!!:)

Loris_

Don't know if it's my priveledge to answer, but you can make mutiple 'concept'sketches. Guess you then descide what concept to go with and finish all the other milestones with that one sketch..

OniricCreative
02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
thanks for the quick replies guys!!! :)

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Really? Crap, I really liked that feature. :sad:

JTD
02-28-2006, 08:06 PM
When it says "physically small characters", is it refering to actual small characters (like the ones described) or that the characters appear small in comparision to the scene/enviroment?

In my opinion the answer is you can do whatever gets the feeling across. The example was just a "recommendation" - a "guide" to help you understand what the judges are looking for. But I don't think you'd be disqualified for creating an image with a whale. It's about the journey, an epic journey more than it is about the characterizations. Of course, I've been wrong before...

Epopisces
02-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Lol, I came to the FAQ thinking I knew everything I needed too, but now find myself echoing some of the questions. Oh, and there is no link to the FAQ in the 3d challenge page. . .

Thank you for helping us newbies out!

AlyFell
02-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Takes to much space or slows the server to much down?

If I remember correctly, the thumbnails didn't start showing up, or weren't implemented until a couple of days into the challenge last time. So I expect they'll be working later... feel free to throw cheese at me if I'm wrong.....

beelow
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If I remember correctly, the thumbnails didn't start showing up, or weren't implemented until a couple of days into the challenge last time. So I expect they'll be working later... feel free to throw cheese at me if I'm wrong.....

Yeah I was wondering that as well, and the top scoll bar thingy that u mention that I mention on the first page, good to know that it wasn't happening to me only!

j breitzman
02-28-2006, 11:54 PM
I came up with an idea for the Space Opera challenge and submitted a few of the concept milestones. Then I couldn't finish and stopped submitting. I think that the idea fits this challenge and I want to follow the idea through. I was wondering if I could pick up where I left off for this challenge.

Thanks,

-j

paperclip
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
This is strange, I'm uploading my pics here http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/submit_entry.php and they're all going into the entry page, but there isn't a link on my thread nor are they uploading into my thread. Would you mind looking into this for me? I'd really appreciate it!

I'm having a great time by the way- so many people I know are here!! It's like a reunion!

vrf
03-01-2006, 01:02 AM
You really need to explain more about the turntable requirement. It's not even mentioned in the instructions and deliverables sections. More info, please!

Thanks!

Mibus
03-01-2006, 03:18 AM
I'll write up some more detailed text for the turntable and put it on the deliverables page soon.

Basically:

120 frames in an image sequence
As 320x240 JPEGs, ~85% quality
Features a turntable of your main model (180 degrees or 360 degrees, up to you)
GI-lit (or similar)
Untextured
ZIP them up, post them via the Submit Turntable page.
j: No. Everything for this challenge has to be made inside this challenge.

Thumbs: I forgot to add the new forums to the thumbnail "forum whitelist". My bad :)

kira-hime
03-01-2006, 03:40 AM
Woot! Thanks for enabling thumbnails Mibus!! :D

Edit: Well, it was working a second ago, but now they've disappeared on me again...hmm.

Edit2: Now they're working again. I'm confoooosed. Anyway, thanks! :thumbsup:

Theta-Dot
03-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Not to be a total jerk but can somebody please address the question I asked on page 1 about text?
Really would like to know.
Thanks.

Mibus
03-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi Theta,

Sorry - I missed your first post :)

Yes, text is OK, but don't rely on it too much. Viewing a piece at different resolutions will very likely make the text difficult or impossible to read.

aaron111
03-01-2006, 06:06 AM
What are the rules with regard to basing the image on existing work? Say I was inspired by an old somewhat obscure short story? It doesn't have any readily recognizable characters or settings - but if I was too use the general theme would that be legit?

paperclip
03-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Erm...now, see the thing is, I have TWO threads now.

Accidentally, I pushed the 'enter challenge' button twice... and the one I decided to use for the challenge isn't 'working'- no thumbnails and the pictures aren't uploading into it. I wrote all my text into the other thread though.

Could you delete that other thread and upload my challenge page into the current thread? Please?

Or will I just go over into that other thread?

Silgrin
03-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Er... Seems aaron111 has the same problem. I posted my question on the 1st thread page. I meant if I could use a project I`ve started some time ago, never shown anywhere as a whole, but possibly posted some fragment of it on some WIP forum to get help. I named it a silly question, but anyway I`d be happy to receive some reply;)

JTD
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
The question: "Can I submit art that I've already created to this contest?"

The answer: "No."

The point of the challenge is to produce something within the context of the challenge. In fact, it's just like this contest's theme. The journey begins now. For anyone in doubt, I suggest this: What's the point of bringing something you've already worked on to the challenge? Itís like saying, "can my lap time for this race be counted even though I was halfway around the track when the starting gun went off?" The answer is no.

One of the main points is to push your self within the timeframe. That's why it's called a contest. If everybody thought that they could submit something that they've been working on for a couple of weeks (or years) then the contest would only need to be one day long because the theme would be announced and everybody would submit their finished work. Now, if you've had an idea in your head or even some sketches that fit this theme perfectly and no one has seen them then go ahead and enter the contest. Nobody is going to know but you. Not a very sportsmanship thing to do but it can be done.

However, you'd be missing out on one of the other main points of this contest by limiting your self to community input. Let's say you submit something you've been working on for years but nobody knows about it. Then 100 people say that you should change some elements or maybe try the piece from a different perspective. You would probably be less inclined to take suggestions on something that you've been working on so hard for so many years. It's human nature to resist criticism. But if you have an idea or two that gets critiqued before you've had a chance to put some blood, sweat, and tears into it then you are more likely to take suggestions.

I say we all start the journey now and be good to each other. Good luck everyone.

Silgrin
03-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks JTD. So if it`s a kind of a race, then we really should start from scratch. I take part in sth like this for the first time, so this is why I ask so basic questions. Anyway, while waiting for reply, I got another idea and will work on sth really new...

Good luck, everybody. See you soon (I hope ;) ).

aaron111
03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Seems aaron111 has the same problem.

My question is different. I want to know if I can base my image on an existing story. Obviously, almost anything anyone creates is probably going to be derivative of something. Basically if I say "this is based on such and such, or this is inspired by such and such" would that be against the rules?

marcoracer
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
OK... So there are five zillion people participating in this challenge, right? :-)

My question is how are any of us going to get any kind of meaningful critiques? Where do you begin? I see some of the more popular and experienced members with over 100 replies already. Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input? Likewise, I don't think anyone really has time to supply input for more then a very small fraction of the entrants. Is this how it normally goes?

:shrug:

rblitz7
03-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.

unwrap
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.
I'm not official, but I think they had made clear a long time ago (during the very first challenges) that all wip images MUST be submitted through the submittion page.

Mu
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi anyone,

it says in the instructions we should focus on small characters.

I hope it does generally include humans as long as the scenery is vast in contrast to the size of their bodies? Does anyone know wether that is right?

it is half past one a.m. around here, sorry if I overlooked this question and its answer somewhere...

Kirt
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
My question is different. I want to know if I can base my image on an existing story. Obviously, almost anything anyone creates is probably going to be derivative of something. Basically if I say "this is based on such and such, or this is inspired by such and such" would that be against the rules?
Such as making an image based upon Star Wars characters and universe (or something like that)? I'd highly recommend against it. The challenge is to be creative and to use your imagination. You're putting yourself at a severe handicap if you are using someone else's ideas.

Take a look through previous challenge winning entries and you'll get a better idea of what the judges look for when selecting winning entries.
OK... So there are five zillion people participating in this challenge, right? :-)

My question is how are any of us going to get any kind of meaningful critiques? Where do you begin? I see some of the more popular and experienced members with over 100 replies already. Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input? Likewise, I don't think anyone really has time to supply input for more then a very small fraction of the entrants. Is this how it normally goes?Members that have been here for awhile have bonds with friends and have built up their own reputations through past submissions to the contests and galleries. They are naturally going to generate a lot more hits and replies in their threads, so don't let that intimidate you. Keep working and posting updates as often as you can. You will get responses in time but you may have to be patient until others become familiar with your work.

Do all of our ideas/sketches have to be submitted through the submit page or could we just reply to thread.The judges will not be looking through your thread for WIP images. All of the images viewed and considered for judging are hosted on the CGChallenge pages. So, submit all images there even if they don't become part of your final idea.

Hi anyone,

it says in the instructions we should focus on small characters.

I hope it does generally include humans as long as the scenery is vast in contrast to the size of their bodies? Does anyone know wether that is right?I just answered this in another (misplaced) thread. So here it is again ...

Feel free to use your own artistic interpretations of the theme. I think way too many people get hung up on the text descriptions or guidelines of the challenge which puts restrictions on what artists would normally try to do for the challenge.

If the challenges were to specify what your idea must include I'm afraid that the results would become boring and predictable. Think outside the box and surprise us all with your brilliance. I think that's what the judges are looking for when reviewing final entries.

trancecaster
03-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Are us newbies doomed to recieving very little input?

Yep. That's how it works. But i suppose this is not popularity contest. And what looked around those yeaay, cool and wow like one word comments are truly worth of nothing. Personally i thought to make killer piece of art, learn something new, and have fun...it's totally irrelevant am i popular or not if i win the challenge;)

Ravena
03-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I got the link by Mail and I wanted to look, only look, what that is and already I was announced. :blush:
For the moment I simply don't have the time to participate in such thing as a challenge. Sorry.

Please can someone delete my thread? (it's empty)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323688

Ciao,
Ravena

Kirt
03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Hi,

I got the link by Mail and I wanted to look, only look, what that is and already I was announced. :blush:
For the moment I simply don't have the time to participate in such thing as a challenge. Sorry.

Please can someone delete my thread? (it's empty)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323688

Ciao,
Ravena
Just ignore it. The thread will drop to the bottom of the forum in no time and you're under no obligation to finish if you signed up for the challenge.

vrf
03-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Basically:

GI-lit (or similar)
Untextured

Okay, thanks! It really should be on the instructions page, too.

Actually, this is the kind of requirement that would have made more sense for the character-centered challenges. I don't think a 320x240 turntable of a vast landscape is going to show much. But whatever.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 07:39 AM
So...should I just move over to my other thread? The one I have going now is fun and has all my stories and stuff written down, I don't really want to write it out all over again in the 'new' one!

This is the one with all the stories and stuff in it: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322552 but with no thumbnail or direct upload to the challenge page.

This is the one I'd like to remove:

:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322551

Is this possible or will I just move to no. 2?

erlik
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Actually, this is the kind of requirement that would have made more sense for the character-centered challenges. I don't think a 320x240 turntable of a vast landscape is going to show much. But whatever.

Actually, it is for your character. Turntable of your main model. Not of the scene.

Crin
03-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Just for your information the "View all entries" text at the top right of the header image doesn't work on this page http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=9743

harryb
03-02-2006, 05:47 PM
I'll write up some more detailed text for the turntable and put it on the deliverables page soon.

Basically:

GI-lit (or similar)
Untextured
j: No. Everything for this challenge has to be made inside this challenge.

Hi Mibus,

Are these separate images to be named in a particular way (like: picture-001.jpg, picture-002.jpg, etc.)? Do you recommend using After Effects or a particular program to make this?

Thanks!

Demolus
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Is it allowed to post my progress on other sites and forums?

Crimsonstring
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
This might be a stupid question, but if I don't post the lineart milestone(because I mostly jump in and paint without it) I can't complete the challenge?

Kirt
03-02-2006, 10:55 PM
So...should I just move over to my other thread? The one I have going now is fun and has all my stories and stuff written down, I don't really want to write it out all over again in the 'new' one!

This is the one with all the stories and stuff in it: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322552 but with no thumbnail or direct upload to the challenge page.

This is the one I'd like to remove:

:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322551

Is this possible or will I just move to no. 2?
I moved one of your threads earlier per your request, but it looks like it was moved back by one of the other Forum Leaders. I'm not sure why. :shrug:

Copy and post your relevant text to the thread you want to keep and re-submit any images that are missing from the thread you want to keep. Then just ignore the other one. Mibus or someone else will eventually remove the thread if needed. Otherwise it'll just drop to the bottom of the forum without any adverse affect on your entry thread.

Is it allowed to post my progress on other sites and forums?
Yes.

This might be a stupid question, but if I don't post the lineart milestone(because I mostly jump in and paint without it) I can't complete the challenge?
Yes, just select an early phase of your painting process that you feel would fit as a suitable line art milestone. Many artists work this way and it's perfectly acceptable to submit an early blocked in painting as a lineart milestone.

paperclip
03-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks very much! Mibus merged the two together, so now my problems are solved!

I appreciate all your help though, good sir! :bounce:

Mibus
03-03-2006, 12:41 AM
marcoracer: Go and critique other people's threads. If you give meaningful help to people on their image, they'll often return the favour.

vrf: You are quite likely to have characters that are going on the journey. And yes, I'm planning on putting those requirements on the deliverables page :).

The turntable animation is just something new we're trying.

Crin: That's a header, not a button.

harryb: Image sequences are numerically named. Your example names were fine. Pretty much all 3D software should be able to render out suitable image sequences.

vrf
03-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Actually, it is for your character. Turntable of your main model. Not of the scene.

Yeah, okay. I was just thinking of the brief's recommendation to have small characters set against vast backdrops. A turntable of the character will work, of course, but there's a lot more modeling outside of that. But whatever.

slickgreekgeo
03-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Sorry if this was already asked before, but is there a limit to how many WIP images you can upload?

Mibus
03-03-2006, 05:45 AM
As many WIPs as you want :)

slickgreekgeo
03-03-2006, 05:50 AM
As many WIPs as you want :)

Great I'm uploading another one. Thank ya!

coochaki
03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
hi mibus .
at first sory for my poor english!... .. .
about turntable:
1.all of 120 frames must composite to a single frame or not?
2.for example i have a model , can i use turntable for some part of my model that i want ?
3.can i use wire frame model for turntable?
4.if i must use turntable for all of my models ?
5.other challengers can be able to see my turntable?
thanks

thondal
03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
never entered any of these contests before, and i was wondering what does this mean?

-The final works must demonstrate a depth of story and view that shows the character(s) up close and the journey beyond. -

are we supposed to make more than one image? how... i don't think i understod what to do right:P

and by the way, what is line art?

sorry for my bad english

-thondal-

naresh
03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
hi,
am new to this contest and when ever i post somthing it's posting twice:sad:may be some thing wrong from my site...but any way can any one help me to how to remove extra post..
thanks
naresh
http://lostinarc.blogspot.com

Silgrin
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
thondal (member.php?u=195383): I`m also a newbie in the CGTalk competitions but it sems to me just that the image should make an appropriate influence on the viewer, I.E. should communicate mentioned emotions (sth like "I`m small and this road is sooooo long";)).
The sentence doesn`t seem to affect the technical questions like format, number, etc.

Cheers,

Henryk

W-I-L
03-03-2006, 05:00 PM
hi... i have an idea that does not involve a grand sweeping background or anyone setting on a journey. its a boy learning guitar.. siting there with the instrument and a 'my first guitar book' while a pictrure of a legend like jemi hendrix is on a poster behind him.. a hero he one day wants to emulate.. is this to the brief or did you actually want a epic journey, literaly.... reading the brief again it seems quite limited... even suggesting eactly what we do. (small crature against a large background)

i ask this as i think it is only fair i am told if i am off course and it will affect judgment on the piece

marcoracer
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
marcoracer: Go and critique other people's threads. If you give meaningful help to people on their image, they'll often return the favour.

Thanks! I kinda figured that one out shortly after posting my question... :)

Tirjasdyn
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay it says no Poser prefabs..np but I was wondering can I use poser's render engine and texture engine? I prefer it to Shade's right now.

Just to clarify:

I'd be making my characters in Shade, then texturing and rendering in Poser.

Thx..

Whose knows if I'll finish...it's worth it to try.

Wiro
03-03-2006, 08:05 PM
"-The final works must demonstrate a depth of story and view that shows the character(s) up close and the journey beyond. -"

are we supposed to make more than one image? how... i don't think i understod what to do right:P

and by the way, what is line art?

Only one image but you have to compose it in a way to show the viewer where the journey goes, who goes there and why.
Line art means pencil or pen art (line drawings).

... its a boy learning guitar.. siting there with the instrument and a 'my first guitar book' while a pictrure of a legend like jemi hendrix is on a poster behind him.. a hero he one day wants to emulate.. is this to the brief or did you actually want a epic journey, literaly....

In my opinion it's fine. If you can pull it off showing that it's a journey with a start and a goal (and not just a guy playing a guitar) then go for it. The small creatures vs big background is just a guideline. Good luck!

Thanks! I kinda figured that one out shortly after posting my question...

Another thing that should be obvious but I often see overlooked are the thumbnails and milestones. With so many entries those are your best selling point. People will click on interesting thumbs. Even if you model an elaborate piece it won't do you much good if you crop the thumb to a mass of gray and black.

Wiro

trancecaster
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd be making my characters in Shade, then texturing and rendering in Poser.

That's ok. Limitation was about pre-made models. But if having time and interest, i suggest to try something else. There's many FREE rendering engines out better in quality than Poser's one...well, haven't tested v.6 but at least i think so :hmm:

MOSS
03-04-2006, 04:32 AM
I submitted a turntable but it did not show up on my challenge page or thread, will it or are they not included?

bandro
03-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi i would like to know what is FTP or if you could lend me a link to where it is explained

Thank you :bowdown:

thondal
03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi i would like to know what is FTP or if you could lend me a link to where it is explained

here's a link that explains

http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&hs=Ox9&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:FTP

BicKet
03-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi
I have a problem with my Challenge entry :
First i create a thread with Bicket as real name (but it's just my CGTalk username)
Then i create another thread with my real name Thibaut MILVILLE
But when i want to add entry, it's edited in the first thread
So could you please delete my first thread:

The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: BicKeT
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322925 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322925)

In order to post my work in this one
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Thibaut MILVILLE.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322926 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322926)

Hope i am clear enough
Thanks

Hodaararar
03-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Just like to say i wish you all the best of luck! :) Have a good one!

iamawizard
03-04-2006, 04:03 PM
submitted my 3D concept art in 2D thread

does it stop me from continuing the concept in 3D

how do i shift the concept art to 3D

i have some other concepts for 2D

need help

Thank You

Mordalles
03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
iamawizard, you can submit multiple concepts for 2d or 3d, so just submit your 3d concept again in the 3d, and submit your 2d concepts for the 2d. the 3d concepts you accidentily submitted in the 2d will probably not matter.

my question: is there a standard you guys are trying to keep in the challenges. or is less good people like me welcome? i just don't want to help turn this place into another deviantart place where you have to search to find the really good art. :sad:

good luck to all!

iamawizard
03-05-2006, 03:34 AM
can i sketch on paper and then digitise it?

just the concept sketch

any help will be useful

thank you

walrus
03-05-2006, 08:43 AM
wizard - Check out some other threads already in progress. You will see that many, many people work on paper with pencil or some other medium and submit them as concept art. It's perfectly acceptable, and really quite common.

iamawizard
03-05-2006, 08:50 AM
thank u walrus, for the reply

hope u remember me

this is my second challenge

I entered spectacular challenge very late
and urs was the only post that i got

this time I am in early

waiting for the experience 2 set pace

good luck walrus

mali22
03-05-2006, 09:05 AM
This is my first cg challenge I will be entering, so sorry if I ask stuff that is already well known.
For the 3d challenge - is it ok to post a 3d sketch with some basic models in the scene, or does it have to be a 2d drawing?
And the second is really specific to my entry, but I'll just copy it here for other people's reference
Please, I would first like confirmation on my initial idea which is very much metaphorical, I wanted it to be original and not to resemble other entries, and I understood that it is ok to depict a metaphorical journey. I need to know if it still fits the challenge theme.

So this is the idea (still in development): the main character is a little boy (and maybe also a girl, his sister or friend..), he is in a huge library hall stacked with piles of old dusty books. There is a special pedestal on which a large book is resting. It is probably too large for the boy, so he will have to use small ladders to get to it. So he opens the book which takes him on the aformentioned metaphorical journey. =)

from my thread (http://showthread.php?p=3305594#post3305594)

laurindel
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi °°

it is possible to put the main personage of backs to camara ???

thanks and sorry for my english :(

Epopisces
03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
iamawizard, you can submit multiple concepts for 2d or 3d, so just submit your 3d concept again in the 3d, and submit your 2d concepts for the 2d. the 3d concepts you accidentily submitted in the 2d will probably not matter.

my question: is there a standard you guys are trying to keep in the challenges. or is less good people like me welcome? i just don't want to help turn this place into another deviantart place where you have to search to find the really good art. :sad:

good luck to all!

I'm pretty sure inexperiences ppl are welcome to join (speaking as one of those myself, this is my first challenge ^.^), this will be great experience for us all, similar to being given a project by an employer and getting feedback from our coworkers. In the last challenge I recall a number of hobbyists who posted, and got helpful feedback and critiques. The one thing I would say, don't get discouraged! We likely won't win any prizes, but the experience (and getting to know the people who are helping you along, fellow pros) will make it more than worth it. Don't give up! Even if your work is below par, keep plugging away to the last!

Heheh, now let's see if I can live up to my own standard.:D

Silgrin
03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
OK, and now I have an opposite question. Sorry for generating junk traffic, but I want to be sure about some things. The Challenge rules seem to touch this topic but being not a native English speaker I`m not sure what they mean in some cases.

Is it possible to use the chars created for the contest for next projects after it`s closed? Can I re-use the stuff I`ve modeled for XIX? I`d be happy to see a Silgrin-readable answer ;)

Cheers.

Mibus
03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
coochaki:
1. You should have 120 individual frames, one JPG per frame
2. Yes. Just pick one thing- beit the whole model, the scene, or just a part of the scene, and do that as a turntable.
3. No. GI-lit or similar, not wireframe.
4. Just the main one.
5. Turntables will be made public later on.

it is possible to put the main personage of backs to camara ???

Sure.

Is it possible to use the chars created for the contest for next projects after it`s closed? Can I re-use the stuff I`ve modeled for XIX?

Yep!

trancecaster
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
is it ok to post a 3d sketch with some basic models in the scene, or does it have to be a 2d drawing?

It should be ok. Actually i've used 3D for sketch in 2D category, because it's more flexible and allows to test different settings easily. Haven't seen anywhere mentioned that sketch has to be drawing.

Gmax
03-06-2006, 08:02 AM
By some strange reason, my first submission was posted twice in the same thread - one with description, the other without. Can I delete the first post entirely, and will it influence the thumbnail in the submission forum?

naresh
03-06-2006, 08:03 AM
hi,
what if some one copy the concept...i mean if some one can follow exactly what we all ready started.and if some one can change the design but concept will be the same????
just a quri...

Silgrin
03-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Gmax:

Maybe it`s just the thread-front copy. When you post the next images, the last one will be duplicated at the front of your thread. Is it this problem?

Gmax
03-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Gmax:

Maybe it`s just the thread-front copy. When you post the next images, the last one will be duplicated at the front of your thread. Is it this problem?

Perhaps - as a newb I'm not at all familiar with how this works. If it seems to become a problem, I'll be bugging this thread again ;) Thanks for the fast reply - really appreciate it!

Kirt
03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Perhaps - as a newb I'm not at all familiar with how this works. If it seems to become a problem, I'll be bugging this thread again ;) Thanks for the fast reply - really appreciate it!
Don't edit any of your posts with images in them.
This will seriously mess up your thread.

The first post of your thread will automatically update with your latest image.
The other posts will show your progress. It's all part of the way the contest is set up.

sebek27
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
i'm wondering, the final painting has to be created on the pc correct ? so I can't paint it traditionally and scan in the final ? just wondering since it will be my first time using my tablet and doing a computer 'painting' of any type :) good learning experience..
Is it ok to use stock photography as references ? or do you have to take your own photos ?

Erock0013
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Quick question. I had a friend draw up an original character for me to model. I was wondering if it was ok to use their concept for the character in a scene of my design if i obtained their permission. Thanks.

Kirt
03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
i'm wondering, the final painting has to be created on the pc correct ? so I can't paint it traditionally and scan in the final ? just wondering since it will be my first time using my tablet and doing a computer 'painting' of any type :) good learning experience..
Is it ok to use stock photography as references ? or do you have to take your own photos ?
Although the forum is primarily digital arts I don't think anyone is going to lynch you if you go traditional. However, since the challenges are about learning, I'd suggest using your new tablet. It's a "good learning experience". :D

Photo reference is OK. Photo copying and painting over a photo is not OK. If you use photos that are not your own, you should post them within your WIP thread and give proper credit. Just to keep things legit and open to all viewers. We really don't want to see anyone get called out on a photo paintover or plagerism of someone else's work.

Quick question. I had a friend draw up an original character for me to model. I was wondering if it was ok to use their concept for the character in a scene of my design if i obtained their permission. Thanks.Concepts and designs should be your own. There is no option on the submission pages to give credit to another artists or create a collaboration work.

Mu
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi there,

I remember reading somewhere very exact figures for the resolution. I am aware you should use 300dpi, but do we have to stick to a certain aspect ratio like 4:3 or 16:9 or are we free to chose either of the two or even a more extreme set up?

(I know that it might be a good idea not to chose something like 10:1...:rolleyes: this is a question about rules not good design)

thanks for reading.

TwinSnakes
03-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, I'm a newb. Yes, this is my first challenge.

(phew) Okay. I read thru all the FAQ posts and I still have one question:

3D vs 2D entries
When I look at past challenges, and the 3D & 2D winners. Both could be done in one software package. So, are 2D entries supposed to have a hand-drawn "look" to them, and that's the difference between a 2D and 3D entry? Or is it a software boundary - Photoshop (2D) vs Maya (3D)?

To give you a context when answering this question: I want to submit an entry for 2D and 3D.

(Yeah I know since this is my first time, I should probably do just one. But, has that really stopped any newb from failing miserably before? :D)

Tirjasdyn
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
3D vs 2D entries
When I look at past challenges, and the 3D & 2D winners. Both could be done in one software package. So, are 2D entries supposed to have a hand-drawn "look" to them, and that's the difference between a 2D and 3D entry? Or is it a software boundary - Photoshop (2D) vs Maya (3D)?

Take a look at the milestone's each require. 3d ones require modelling and proof there of. You're right by the end it is hard to tell what software a person used...but I think that's kind of the point of the threads. You can submit for both 2d and 3d bu there are different milstones for each one.

Kirt
03-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi there,

I remember reading somewhere very exact figures for the resolution. I am aware you should use 300dpi, but do we have to stick to a certain aspect ratio like 4:3 or 16:9 or are we free to chose either of the two or even a more extreme set up?

(I know that it might be a good idea not to chose something like 10:1...:rolleyes: this is a question about rules not good design)

thanks for reading.The figures that you read are on the challenge instructions page and are as follows: "A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or 3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these specified." Notice the part that I highlighted. You are free to adjust your aspect ratio to whatever you feel fits your image (in other words).

Yes, I'm a newb. Yes, this is my first challenge.

(phew) Okay. I read thru all the FAQ posts and I still have one question:

3D vs 2D entries

To give you a context when answering this question: I want to submit an entry for 2D and 3D.

(Yeah I know since this is my first time, I should probably do just one. But, has that really stopped any newb from failing miserably before? :D)
Yes, it's going to be determined by what software you use to create your image. There may be some crossover, as some artists will block scenes with a 3D app and paint over the render for a 2D submission. Or a 3D artist may use Photoshop or Painter to fix areas on a final render from Maya or Max (for example). However, the bulk of your work will be either 2D (flat image in X & Y axis) or 3D (Z depth included). If your scene is modeled, textured, lighted and rendered in a 3D package then you should submit to the 3D category even though the final result is a 2D image after composition, touch up and post processing.

Another point is that if you enter both categories, then you must have two distinctly different concepts. More work for you, but it can be done. Good luck.

aaron111
03-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

thanks for reading.

Here's what it says in the instructions:

Final Image Size
http://features.cgsociety.org/images/spacer.gif
Your final image dimensions should be in print resolution (as large as you can possibly render). Do not send in a low-resolution placeholder and ask us to get back to you, as we won't.

A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or 3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these specified.
DO NOT up-sample your images to achieve higher resolution. If you cannot reach the desired full-page resolution, just send in what you have.

So yes, you can work with whatever aspect ratio you want.

Mu
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Kirt, Hi Aaron

Notice the part that I highlighted.

Oh yes. Damn. I do.

:blush:

this embarassement smilie is not red enough. And it does not hide away enough. Therefore, let's have some more...

:blush: :blush:

aaron111
03-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Sorry I reposted it again. I didn't notice Kirt's repsonse. Even though it was highlighted in orange :shrug:

Mu
03-08-2006, 08:00 AM
ah no need to apologize for that aaron.

thanks!

CharlesVarenne
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi,
I was wondering. Is it possible to build up geometry in a 3d programm, like architecture stuff, render it and use it for perspective guideline for the 2D contest?

Thanks

iamawizard
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
look at kirts last reply

it says all

good luck

CharlesVarenne
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
So tell me if I am wrong but as long as I just use 3D as a guideline...The 3d will completly diseappear under 2d drawing as it wont have any texturing anyway, the answer is yes you can. isnt it?

iamawizard
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
as i understand from kirts reply

the answer is yes

ya u can use 3d for blocking in the perspective and compo in the 2D entry

then paint over it

majority of your entry being 2D (Photoshop...)

Wiro
03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
So tell me if I am wrong but as long as I just use 3D as a guideline...The 3d will completly diseappear under 2d drawing as it wont have any texturing anyway, the answer is yes you can. isnt it?

Just to add to Kirt's reply: yes :)

Wiro

Kirt
03-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd also like to add ...

"Only on alternating Thursdays while keeping a kitty cat warmly snuggled up in your trousers and balancing a bowling ball on your forehead."

Disclaimer: I'm kidding. Do not attempt. Serious injury to the kitty cat may occur.

Ravena
03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
But now ... I'm in.
I wish much luck and likewise much fun to all participants.
(Sorry for my bad English.)

dondixon
03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Lets say I render a still in 3d but I want to paint over it in photoshop? Is that allowed, and if so does it qualify as a 2d illustration or a 3d illustration?

Don

Mibus
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Sure.

Pick using your own judgement - is it "primarily" 2D or 3D?

I'd probably go with 2D for your example.

Silgrin
03-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Error-sorry

Silgrin
03-09-2006, 07:54 AM
OK, I solved the issue myself. Sorry-post removed [useless for others]. Could the Moderator remove these 2 entirely? Thanks.

thedoc
03-09-2006, 10:10 AM
I was planning on entring the new challenges as soon as they came out... how? I tried and i was rejected... the page said that i can't make a post there... anyone?

zem
03-09-2006, 10:13 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/enter.php

You join here. That will produce a thread in the challange.
You also use that page for submitting pictures.

Welcome to the challange and good luck!:thumbsup:

norvman
03-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I know how to subscribe to a forum thread... but is there some other way to do that for the chanllenge threads... and is there in consideration given to the artist with the most replies on there thread?

I know I know kinda dumb questions... but this is my first challenge so just trying to ge this all clear in my head sorry...

Kirt
03-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I know how to subscribe to a forum thread... but is there some other way to do that for the chanllenge threads... and is there in consideration given to the artist with the most replies on there thread?

I know I know kinda dumb questions... but this is my first challenge so just trying to ge this all clear in my head sorry...

At the top of the thread you want to subscribe to, you should see a drop down labeled "Thread Tools". Third option down should be "Subscribe to this Thread".

Number of replies means nothing.

brudney
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
hi,
is there any particular deadline for entering the challenge?

iamawizard
03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
no deadline specified as such in the instructions page

ScottC
03-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi. I have a question regarding the new turntable requirement. In the past, youve always allowed for a lot of compositing and post-processing to overcome the hardware and software limitations of rendering out large, complex scenes....I mean, to such a degree that many elements of a "main character" may not exist in "real time" with each other. The main "characters" in scenes such as these may not be reproduceable in a real time rotation of the model ..at least, not in a way that does justice to their representation in the still image.

So, in that case, do we just do a turntable of the element that makes up the bulk of the main focus? Or is this new requirement specifically to tone down the amount of "unlimited poly" compositing going on in challenge entries, and to encourage the pieces to be made only of cohesive models with minimal post processing assembly?

There are some previous challenge winners that could probably not reproduce the main focus
of their still images in turntable fashion in anything approaching the impressiveness and complexity of the static image.

Thanks!

norvman
03-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Kirt for the quick response....

so it's just like subscribing to anyother thread then.... okay...

Joblh
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Is it allowed to have a little signature in the left corner for a 3D entry? :)

walrus
03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't recall reading any rule that expressly forbid you to sign your own work.
Of course, you could also be daring and put it in the lower right corner. I don't think it'll disqualify your piece.

JTD
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Put it in both the left and right corners. Why be conventional when you are a true arteest!:)

Lithan
03-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I submitted a characters sketch and the jpeg looks duplicated. Would you mind deleting one of the image of the http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=325751 thread? Thanks.

JTD
03-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Actually, it is correctly displayed. The last image that you upload always goes into your first post. So it will always appear in the first post and your last post.:)

coochaki
03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
i have got a mistake:
I submit a modeling WIP ;after submiting I refreshed the page , then my WIP submited again
how i can remove this WIP from challenge page?
please help me!:sad:
look at : http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10248

Joblh
03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't recall reading any rule that expressly forbid you to sign your own work.
Of course, you could also be daring and put it in the lower right corner. I don't think it'll disqualify your piece.
ok, nice :)

btw Kirt, did i just seriously mess up my thread by editing all the language mistakes? :rolleyes:

[edit] and what are the consequences?

Kirt
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
ok, nice :)

btw Kirt, did i just seriously mess up my thread by editing all the language mistakes? :rolleyes:

[edit] and what are the consequences?It looks like your thread is still intact. I've seen it do weird things in the past when someone removes an image from the thread. So, I recommend that people leave their posts alone that are submitted through the challenge site.

Sneakybunny
03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
A quickie, Question? "is it cool to make gif or flash swf movie small like under a meg, and post as a 'reply to thread' comment with and inserted image and not as submitted milestone? "

or more

will my work in progress image be counted if i do it like this rather than a submitted milestone?

For i dont want to do something that might not count in the end and also it can save me posting multiple times. It could a bet easier to show my ideas better as a clip.

Kirt
03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
A quickie, Question? "is it cool to make gif or flash swf movie small like under a meg, and post as a 'reply to thread' comment with and inserted image and not as submitted milestone? "

or more

will my work in progress image be counted if i do it like this rather than a submitted milestone?

For i dont want to do something that might not count in the end and also it can save me posting multiple times. It could a bet easier to show my ideas better as a clip.swf file formats aren't supported on the forum but a gif can be posted in your thread as a reply post. However, judges won't see your gif file because they most probably won't be searching through threads. You can submit the gif, but it won't show as part of your WIP progress. It would be only for the benefit of the members viewing your thread.

bumskee
03-17-2006, 03:42 AM
I just entered the challenge, but forgot to add my last name. How should go on about correcting this? Should I ask a moderator for help? cheers

Lone Deranger
03-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Okay.. I've read through the FAQ and guidelines, skim-read this thread and haven't seen this subject addressed so here goes:

What's the policy on nudity? In the "Terms and Conditions" section there is mention of Images that are deemed to contain sexual content will be disqualified. The lines between nudity and sex are very fine in certain cultures and societies.

I have a few ideas for the subject of this challenge that contain nudity, but I certainly do not consider the concept sexual in any way. Other people may or may not agree. My idea would portray nudity in the classical sense (think 'Venus on the half shell', etc.).
So what's the deal, is nudity strictly forbidden or should I not bother entering this challenge? :)

Agamemnwn
03-20-2006, 01:10 AM
hi , one wuestion . Can we use a free rig just too make a block layout of the scene and how we can pose the character. i downloaded lichiman's lowman and i wanted to ask here first before i post anything in the challenge

individium
03-25-2006, 10:17 AM
:wavey: hi, in 2d challange are we supposed to start with a blank page and draw everything on screen (for the final thread)?

and are we allowed to use photos, and if we are, what kind of usage are we allowed?

sorry for the bad english, i hope its understandable:blush:

individium
03-25-2006, 10:20 AM
hi again me! how can we add links for our threads
to our signature part i paste my link to my signature but it didnt show up as a link:shrug:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok i found out how to add links(as you can see) and how to edit my posts but i couldnt find how to delete post thats why im writin it here so dont think that i have gone mad:D

individium
03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
"Final submission of print-resolution artwork is to be done using FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP and how to use it, you should seek help on its use well prior to the close of the challenge - late submissions due to inexperience with FTP will not be accepted."

where can i learn how to use FTP???

stavrevstefan
03-26-2006, 09:03 PM
I am in the 3d chalenge

Hey people i read the rules but i did not find my answer :

I know i can make matte painting for background...

but

i wanna make characters vanishing in distance.it would be much easier to make that 2d.So can i?

Second question : can i make the garbage in foreground like pipes,bones,grass,bushes in 2d?

third : can i add details on my characters in 2d?

sorry for troubles guy , but it is my first chalenge , wanna be 10000 % sure...

Mibus
03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
stavrevstefan: Yes - you can use 2D in a 3D entry.

stavrevstefan
03-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Wow, that is great...

Thanks for the great news ....

Wish u CGTALK PEOPLE all the best...

There is no crew on earth like yours....hehe

Liuba
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, I'm newbie in CGtalk challenges so I have some questions:

1. I can post just one pic or more?

2. And I didn't understand... I should submit only final images? And only submited pics will join this challenge, or...or what? :shrug: Or I need something else to do?

I hope, these questions weren't before, 'cause I won't find them at all :)

individium
03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
why cant i get answers? i have 2 questions on the 3rd page cant anybody help???

vady
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
hi mibus ,
I would like to ask some things regarding to terms and conditions in the challange and other things.
first thing:"By entering artwork, animation and copy to the competition the entrant warrants that they are the sole copyright holder, or they have obtained the rights sufficient for the purpose of the competition"
what does this exactly mean?
For this challange do i have to show my license(of the soft im using),and if so how will i do that.
Browsing the forum for the challange i saw that all submitted images have on thery lower part a copyright statement...do we have to put the exact statement on the images submitted by us...or does cgtalk do that after we submit them?
well thats kinda all,
thx in advance!:)

Mibus
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
vady:

1) Mostly, it means you have to enter your own work; you can't enter somebody elses or use somebody else's work in yours.
2) CGTalk does that :)

Kirt
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
why cant i get answers? i have 2 questions on the 3rd page cant anybody help???Sorry, I missed your questions.:wavey: hi, in 2d challange are we supposed to start with a blank page and draw everything on screen (for the final thread)?

and are we allowed to use photos, and if we are, what kind of usage are we allowed?

sorry for the bad english, i hope its understandable:blush:Yes, you start with only your ideas. Everything for this challenge should be created after the beginning date for the competition. Photos can be used for reference or textures. Be careful that you don't fall into the trap of copying a photo. You should do a significant amount of the work using your skills and not short cut any process by painting over comercial photos, tracing, or copy/pasting elements in your work."Final submission of print-resolution artwork is to be done using FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP and how to use it, you should seek help on its use well prior to the close of the challenge - late submissions due to inexperience with FTP will not be accepted."

where can i learn how to use FTP???Have you tried Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ftp+how+to)?

Kirt
03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, I'm newbie in CGtalk challenges so I have some questions:

1. I can post just one pic or more?

2. And I didn't understand... I should submit only final images? And only submited pics will join this challenge, or...or what? :shrug: Or I need something else to do?

I hope, these questions weren't before, 'cause I won't find them at all :)1. You can submit as many images as you want for each milestone, if that's what you're asking.

2. I'm not sure what you're asking here either.

Maybe this covers it ...

You are allowed one entry in the 2D category and (if you choose) one entry in the 3D category. If you enter both categories, then each entry must be different ideas (i.e. you can't do a 2D illustration and then recreate the same scene in 3D).

These are WIP (Work In Progress) challenges. So, you are expected to show your progress as you develop your image. Submit as many milestone images as you wish. For example: If you have 2 or 40 concept scetches, they should all be submitted as concept art milestones. Images that you do not submit will not be reviewed by the judges.

vady
03-31-2006, 12:33 PM
thx for the quick response mibus.
what about the license thing?
do we have to present our sofware license,or is it available only for winners ?and if so..how do we do it?

Anarki3000
03-31-2006, 07:29 PM
Hmm I need some help. Check it out... I am currently worjing at an image at 5510 x 1958 at 600 pixels per inch. Is that okay?? or does it need any modifications?? cause the rules say something else about the final image aspect ratio.. but I already saw a lot of different works, with very different aspects

Thank you for concern, and please excuse my english

individium
03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
thanks kirt! finally sombody helped :)

coochaki
03-31-2006, 08:16 PM
hi mibus.
I dont know what to do!---- i tell you whay?
please look at my concept sketch on this challenge(the link is in my signature)
I have 15-20 characters on my scene! and my scene is full of characters.
i can't choose the main model for turnable because all of them are main!
other than; my hardware really dot supports to loading all of characters & rendering them as GI_Lit, in 120 frame- 180 or 360 gedrees!!!--->. oh my god!
even in modeling i use separate scences to working on each, then i want to composite all of them to gether in compositing part.
I have a question!
can i use ternable for each characters in final pose or position? ---> if no, please tell me what i can to do!?... .. .
thanks a lot!
coochaki.

Kirt
03-31-2006, 10:24 PM
thx for the quick response mibus.
what about the license thing?
do we have to present our sofware license,or is it available only for winners ?and if so..how do we do it?
You don't have to show proof of your license for any software that you are using.
Hmm I need some help. Check it out... I am currently worjing at an image at 5510 x 1958 at 600 pixels per inch. Is that okay?? or does it need any modifications?? cause the rules say something else about the final image aspect ratio.. but I already saw a lot of different works, with very different aspects

Thank you for concern, and please excuse my english
The final aspect ratio is going to vary depending on what you include in your image and what composition you use. The resolution guidelines in the rules are just a suggestion. As long as your final file size is under the restrictions required for the FTP upload, you're fine.
hi mibus.
I dont know what to do!---- i tell you whay?
please look at my concept sketch on this challenge(the link is in my signature)
I have 15-20 characters on my scene! and my scene is full of characters.
i can't choose the main model for turnable because all of them are main!
other than; my hardware really dot supports to loading all of characters & rendering them as GI_Lit, in 120 frame- 180 or 360 gedrees!!!--->. oh my god!
even in modeling i use separate scences to working on each, then i want to composite all of them to gether in compositing part.
I have a question!
can i use ternable for each characters in final pose or position? ---> if no, please tell me what i can to do!?... .. .
thanks a lot!
coochaki.
I would select the characters that you think are the best and include one, two or three in your turntable.

Anarki3000
04-01-2006, 05:29 AM
So if my final image is 5510 x 1958 will it be okay??

Kirt
04-01-2006, 06:36 AM
So if my final image is 5510 x 1958 will it be okay??
*sigh* OK to clarify more ... (from the instructions page)Your final image dimensions should be in print resolution (as large as you can possibly render). Do not send in a low-resolution placeholder and ask us to get back to you, as we won't.

A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait), or 3636 pixels wide and/or 2657 pixels high, 300 DPI (landscape). Your image aspect ratio and layout will dictate the final resolution. These are given as guidelines. To be safe, render images that are larger than these specified.
DO NOT up-sample your images to achieve higher resolution. If you cannot reach the desired full-page resolution, just send in what you have.

Information about the final file submission will be emailed to all contestants in the last month of the Challenge. ... what I said earlier.And if you still have questions ... "Yes, pending final instructions sent via e-mail." :D

vady
04-01-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks for the answer kirt
cheers!

coochaki
04-02-2006, 09:04 AM
thanks for your help,kirt.:)
:scream:

dorian3d
04-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Mibus, mY last update was dublicated 3 times for a stupid internet explorer error. Can you please remove the last 2 wips on my thread ? Just to have my thread clear.
Q: Can I submit more than 1 turnable for my characters?
Q: Can I submit test anim just to illustrate my rig work for instance?

THANK YOU.

bandro
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi some days ago I posted a reply to the thread of DV8 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=336418&page=1&pp=15) but after that I was registered as if that thread is mine so i receive an e-mail everytime that thread receives a new reply so i don't know if the error was mine or only a little bug I hope you help me.
Thank you

iamawizard
04-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi bandro,

u might have subscribed 2 the thread accidentaly.

at the top of all the threads, there is a Thread Tools dropdown, which has an unsubscribe option.

i think unsubscribing from the thread should solve ur problem.

sonicstrawbery
04-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Q: Can I submit more than 1 turnable for my characters?

Same interrogation here about turntable....

I have 2 main characters in my image , do i make one turntable for each of them or one for both.

thanx

omer-n
04-08-2006, 12:45 PM
hi

my image is a square composition- can i go on with this aspect ratio (1:1) so its not a pottrait or landscape
as long as i keep my resoultion high (say 4000 by 4000 and 300dpi)?

thanks!

walrus
04-10-2006, 12:00 AM
omer-n - There are no rules about what aspect ratio you paint your piece in, so I'd say it's safe to assume there's no problem with a square piece, especially as you're workimg in high enough resolution in both height and width. Have fun with it! :)

omer-n
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
thanks, i'll guess i go on with it, you see i got a bit paranoid cause i think my last challenge entry (master and slave) was disqualified for upres'ING it

by the way i love your style and the 3d compositing like technique you are using for your art!:)

Mibus
04-12-2006, 01:13 AM
I have 2 main characters in my image , do i make one turntable for each of them or one for both.

You can only submit one turntable, so either make it of both characters, or pick whichever character you prefer and do it on just that one :)

Zapan
04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi !
Sorry for bugging again with this , but I've got questions about turntable too :

-Is it going to be public like any entries submitted in the challenge thread ?
-Can I show the character in a different pose than it will be shown in the final picture ?
-If I submit a turntable now , and somehow I make a better one after , is it possible to submit another one ?
-Is the turntable a part of the judging like any other milestones or does it have a special goal in the contest ?

Thx in advance !

-Zapan

unwrap
04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi !
Sorry for bugging again with this , but I've got questions about turntable too :

-Can I show the character in a different pose than it will be shown in the final picture ?
-If I submit a turntable now , and somehow I make a better one after , is it possible to submit another one ?
-Is the turntable a part of the judging like any other milestones or does it have a special goal in the contest ?

Thx in advance !

-Zapan

I have to ask the same, cause I just uploaded a turntable and I expected to see it in my thread, I had no idea it's this complicated. It's probably not my final character, so there's the third question that Zapan asked. Thanks.

Mibus
04-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi !

Thx in advance !

-Zapan

1. Very probably, at some point
2. Sure
3. Yep. Each upload overwrites the one before.
4. Part of the judging.

:thumbsup:

walrus
04-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Robert -

So here's a question I don't think I've seen answered before:
What, if any, compensation do the judges get for being a judge, aside form the honor of being invited to be one? Do they get paid, either in actual money or Ballistic Media schwag?
No reason, just curious about the process, as always... Don't worry, I'm not going to try to "outbid you" in order to bribe them! :)

-mike

medunecer
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi friends. I tried to upload my turntable, but it doesn't work.
This is the message: Could not convert ZIPped sequence into a movie
Can someone help me? Thanks!

medunecer
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Ok! I solved the problems! I uploaded my .jpg sequence correctly.

No more problem here.

Mibus
04-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Judges get recognition on the "Judging" page for the challenge, and are usually mentioned in various other bits related to the challenge (announcement posts etc).

I'd give a judge a cookie if they came over to my house ;)

Seriously though, judges aren't renumerated or anything. We think it's cool 'cos we get talented judges, and they think it's cool 'cos they get to take part in one of the major "events" we run. Win-win! :)

paperclip
04-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd give a judge a cookie if they came over to my house ;)

I would too!

....what, bribery, me...? :twisted:

Chupacabra
04-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Ok, now first of all, a BIG thanks to FAQ-Team who helps us out here. It's a tough job, right?

Now, to my question. I read all the guidelines multiple times and couldn't find any sort of explanation WHERE to upload the final tif image. Do we get an URL and upload it, just like we do our submissions for Ballistic Media book-contests?
I submitted my final jpg but have no clue where to send the tif.

Could You please help me out?

Best regards and big thanks,

JurajMolcak
04-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Hello. Another one for turntable:

Is it allowed to use bumps and displacements within turntable if they are strong part of modeling stage?

Is it allowed to use different diffuse colors in order to emphasize parts of models?

Something like this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322738&page=26&pp=15

Thank you.

adonihs
04-28-2006, 06:23 AM
This might be a dumb question, so I should get it out now. But, what exact FTP do we send it to? I know how to send via FTP, but is there a location? Im very confused on this.

i.e. Ballastic had a server where u upload to, is this the same or not? Thanks!

Pat-Piper
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Dear Mibus,

Can I ask when we will be given ftp upload details for this challenge? I'm asking because I will be on a trip from May 5th (to mid-june) and that's the last day that I can upload my final image. Can you help me with this pls? I also apologize if I'm repeating someone else's question in this thread.

With thanks,

Patrick

chenzan
05-01-2006, 03:57 AM
i am also interested to know where to upload the final image tiff. I clicked on the link that gives instructions and i got a dead link or a page that says Not Found.

Mibus
05-01-2006, 05:11 AM
Final Uploads should be up and running:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/final_image.php

adonihs
05-01-2006, 09:26 AM
No, we're all asking about the FTP. Are we given the link to the FTP or emailed it? If I passed these rules or guidelines, im sorry..I think a lot of us did though lol. The final submit image is fine and working, no problems there!

Samanthie
05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Information about the final file submission will be emailed to all contestants in the last month of the Challenge.

I found this on the instructions page in the section 'Final Image Size'. Hope that helps.:)

adonihs
05-02-2006, 01:05 AM
I found this on the instructions page in the section 'Final Image Size'. Hope that helps.:)

Awesome! Guess I missed it! Thanks Samanthie!! :)

Mibus
05-02-2006, 02:12 AM
FTP details are given on the Final Image page:

Emails will go out soonish.

BlackDidThis
05-04-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't presume this was brought up yet...

But have any of you noticed that the prize for the 3rd runner up for the 2D challange HERE (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/) and the prize HERE (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/prizes.php) are not exactly the same.
Would it be possible for it to be cleared up? And prefferably corrected?

Thanks for all the patience :)

Black

walrus
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Black, are you talking about the fact that for the 3D entires, the 3rd runner up gets the Gnomon Workshop Digital Bundle while a higher-up prize, the 2D 1st runner up gets the Gnomon Workshop Analog Bundle? Don't you know, it's because 2D artists can't be expected to have fancy computers that would run the Digital bundle, because if they did, they'd be doing 3D!

(Given that assumption, I think that the solution is clear: CGSociety should be putting more fancy computers like the BOXX just on the 2D prize list so that someday we will be able to enjoy prizes like a Digital bundle.) :D

BlackDidThis
05-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh no, no.. I know all that...
Thats not what I meant at all.

Wait let me illustrate it for you Michael (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?userid=122885) ...

http://blackdidthis.com/CGNetwork/TheJourneyBegins/ThePrizeError.gif

What I meant to say is that there is a Zbrush too little or a Zbrush too many :suprised:

Get what I mean now?

Black

unwrap
05-04-2006, 06:59 PM
3D Challenge entrants are required to upload a 120-frame image sequence. The sequence must:

be 320x240 JPEGs, ~85% quality
Feature a turntable of your main model (180 degrees or 360 degrees, up to you)
GI-lit (or similar)
Untextured
Does the Untextured requirement apply to displacement maps as well?

unwrap
05-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I've noticed that some of the 3D entrants post compositing illustrations, such (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9806/9806_1146816703_medium.jpg) as, and such (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9817/9817_1145747380_medium.jpg) as, and such (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/9579/9579_1146641981_medium.jpg) as, and such (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/13/10757/10757_1146616502_medium.jpg) as. Is that a requirement or just something they do? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks.

rattlesnake
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM
ok..once i uploaded my turntable, i saw a qucktime of it...but after that, how can i see it agian? where do i see it as a submited turntable?, just to confirm is working ok:curious:

unwrap
05-06-2006, 12:49 PM
ok..once i uploaded my turntable, i saw a qucktime of it...but after that, how can i see it agian? where do i see it as a submited turntable?, just to confirm is working ok:curious:
The quicktime movie is pretty much the confirmation.

Before, when I submited my second turntable, I viewed the HTML source of the page and got the link of the .MOV file. That way I could access my turntable any time. I also could replace my number in the link with numbers of other entrants and view their turntables :cool: . But last time I updated my turntable I couldn't get it's link any more, there was no MOV file url in the HTML source.

jeromoo
05-07-2006, 06:58 AM
A question for the administrator: I have uploaded my final TIFF image in zip format according to the instructions. It is successful and when I checked my contest info to see if the artwork has been correctly received, i saw a broken jpeg file. Clicking it brings up a new window that shows my artwork properly. Does it mean the file is not corrupted hence the broken jpeg link and it can just be ignored?

Please reply asap in case I definetely need to keep uploading the file till the jpeg is shown properly on my contest info page (even though clicking on it shows that there's nothing wrong with it). I just need a peace of mind that I've done everything correctly.

Thanks for your time!

Mibus
05-09-2006, 05:55 AM
jeromoo, it was just the thumbnail being misgenerated first time around. I've regenerated the image and its fine :)

Climax
05-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi...ehmm... sorry if this was already answered, but...what is the diference between the Final coloring and the final image milestones for the 2d?:shrug:

fgdf
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
hello I'm worried by one issue
I successfully submitted all milestones including the Final one
I also uploaded turntable and final TIF image
But I still recive this kind of massage
3D Checklist
You still have to submit your Final Image milestone.

hmm I submitted final image againi to be sure but still no change

I'm don't want to be disqualified just by a machine mistake
Can you help it?
thank's&cheers

here's a link to my work

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323508

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10070

Silgrin
05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Is using scenery-generator-made skies allowed? It`s forbidden for example to insert Poser-made humans, but this is a bit different problem. It`s forbidden to use Net downloads as textures, I also can`t photo a sky I need in this season [and also it takes much time to finish the film and have it developed], so I`ve made a sky in Vue. Not a basic, pre-made one, but sth quite well customized [sky bkground edited, clouds edited, fog edited, haze edited]. Am I allowed to use it in my final entry?

Looking FORWARD to see your answer!!

Anarki3000
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Hello helpers... I just received an email confirmation that my tiff has been uploaded succesfully, but it refers to the "Spectacular" challenge.. actually, the email also contains a link to my spectacular challenge entry... which does not exist of course..

Is this simply an error or is it something to worry about??
Thank you

adonihs
05-10-2006, 01:58 AM
hello I'm worried by one issue
I successfully submitted all milestones including the Final one
I also uploaded turntable and final TIF image

But I still recive this kind of massage

hmm I submitted final image againi to be sure but still no change

I'm don't want to be disqualified just by a machine mistake
Can you help it?
thank's&cheers

here's a link to my work

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=323508

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10070

exact same thing happened to me :/ getting worried here!

mdavid
05-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Rattlesnake: to see your turntable again as a movie just go to the very beginning of your thread. Click on the link that says 'View Challenge Page' and your turntable movie should be the first thing you see. At least that worked for me

fgdf
05-10-2006, 06:18 AM
OK guys, there was some stray whitespace in the DB, which made it not realise the Final Image milestones were complete.

I also fixed the URL in the "your final image has been received" email - thanks!

fgdf
05-10-2006, 04:24 PM
OK guys, there was some stray whitespace in the DB, which made it not realise the Final Image milestones were complete.

I also fixed the URL in the "your final image has been received" email - thanks!

Whoa MAN I don't belive my eyes!! ^^ I didn't write it so?? someone is using my account!! I'm confused!

rattlesnake
05-10-2006, 09:23 PM
mdavid: thanx man..i see it now...:bounce:

Mibus
05-11-2006, 02:47 AM
fgdf: Yeah sorry that was me; I had to log into your account to test my changes :)

rasamaya
05-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello, I have a quick question. I saved my image(300dpi 16bit rgb-no Alpha) from photoshop as an Uncompressed, windows compatible .tif.

When I preview with windows, I can see it clear, upon zooming in. If I use Quicktime picture viewer, I cannot zoom in and things are pixelated. When I open it with corel paint, it doesnt open, I get an error - unsuported samples/pixel.

Question A. Is this normal?
B. Is it because its 16 bit, should I submit 8 bit?
C. 3 samples/pixel means RGB(with no Alpha), correct?
D. How do I make sure its 3 samples/pixel?

EDIT: OK, it looks like everything uploaded Ok. I get a message saying fianla image milstone has not been uploaded.... I have. It was small, 1024X... and under 150kb, is that not ok?
I will wait to see if it changes tomorrow.

Please help

Thanks Folks

Edit Edit: it looks like this was happening before and it was fixed? But after uploading today, I still get the Message. Sorry If I havnt understood a previous explanation.

Cheers

Mibus
05-12-2006, 06:10 AM
it looks like this was happening before and it was fixed? But after uploading today, I still get the Message.

Different but similar problem, also now fixed - thanks!

rasamaya
05-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the help Mibus, I'm glad your around.

Now I get to spend more time with others!

mmoir
05-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey Mibus,

I need some assistance, I have tried twice to upload my Turntable of my character with no success . I get a "could not convert to movie" type error. Could you see whats wrong with my zipped file. Do the images have to have 000_1 in the file name, Any help would be appreciated.

Nigio
05-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Mibus, could you help me, please? I've uploaded my final image , but when I pressed the button "refresh image", it says that the image is not correct or something like that. What can be the problem? I did my final image in RGB TIF without compression and without Alpha.
What should I do now?
Thank you very much.

Samanthie
05-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Hi,
I just uploaded my tif image again because I made a very small change to my entry. Do I need to upload my final wip jpg image again so that it matches the changes on the tif?

*edit* Nevermind please.. I'll just upload a final wip again so they are the same. :)

kikkokman
05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Have a Question

I don't know that Upload Final image TIF
Where is a URL Upload and If use WS_FTP Home Upload (yes or no)

I don't understand because This first to join CG Challenge
Sorry
Sorry

and Thank you kub

Mibus
05-16-2006, 01:45 AM
mmoir: Yes, the images have to be named like that. eg:

img0000.jpg
img0001.jpg
img0002.jpg
etc
kikkokman: Visit the "Submit Final Image" page,

Mibus
05-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Hi Mibus, could you help me, please? I've uploaded my final image , but when I pressed the button "refresh image", it says that the image is not correct or something like that. What can be the problem? I did my final image in RGB TIF without compression and without Alpha.
What should I do now?
Thank you very much.

It looks like you fixed it yourself :)

coochaki
05-16-2006, 07:39 AM
hi mibus.

i have a problem.

i submit turntable with (img0000, img0001...,img0119)

but the move do not showed.
if is it because of isn't public yet?
or what this hapened?
is it matter that what is the name of ZIPed file?

mmoir
05-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey Mibus,

I am getting a little frustrated here uploading my turntable . This is like the 6th try with no success . I have the images named image_0000.jpg or img0000.jpg format with no success . My images are 240wide by 320high which is what you want but I keep getting the "could not create movie " error.
When zipping up the file I selected all 120 frames individually and zipped it to the folder I gave you , is this correct.
Robert , could I email you the zipped file because I am going nowhere fast.

Mibus
05-17-2006, 04:11 AM
mmoir: Sure - robert@ballisticmedia.net

kikkokman
05-17-2006, 07:00 AM
Thank you Mibus kub

mmoir
05-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey Mibus ,

I just sent you an email with my zipped file and thanks again for your help.

alvin-cgi
05-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey Mibus,

I am getting a little frustrated here uploading my turntable . This is like the 6th try with no success . I have the images named image_0000.jpg or img0000.jpg format with no success . My images are 240wide by 320high which is what you want but I keep getting the "could not create movie " error.
When zipping up the file I selected all 120 frames individually and zipped it to the folder I gave you , is this correct.
Robert , could I email you the zipped file because I am going nowhere fast.

Hi Mibus,
I am having same problem as mmoir uploading the turntable!! I did evrything as required, zipped file under 2mb, images named image_0000.jpg or img0000.jpg etc etc... but still getting the "could not create movie " error!? Wondering I could email you the zipped file because I am also going nowhere fast!:sad:

Big thanks and cheers:)

dorian3d
05-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Mibus, I see that many other guys has the same problem. For me too this is the 5th try to submit my turnable, and still geting the same error: Could not convert ZIPped sequence into a movie.
I named the images img_0000.jpg or img0000.jpg with no success. My images are 320 x 240 pix. I zipped all the 120 frames to a rar file that results 1.582 KB ( less than 2MB ). How exactly do I have to rename and compress my turnable?
THANKS.

medunecer
05-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Dorian, I had the same problem. Don't send a zipped file, just select "ALL THE JPEG IMAGES" to upload. I hope it will help you. Good luck colleague!

alvin-cgi
05-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi Dorian, I had the same problem. Don't send a zipped file, just select "ALL THE JPEG IMAGES" to upload. I hope it will help you. Good luck colleague!

Hi, do you mean all jpg files in a folder without any compression...?:) cheers

Silgrin
05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Just wondering if the loosers have hope to receive some review of their work? It would be extremely useful for them, but I`m not sure if the judges can do so huge work:scream:

medunecer
05-18-2006, 11:31 AM
alvin_cgi: Yes, when you're just to upload your turntable, open the folder in wich you have your jpeg sequence, then select from the first frame to the last (holding shift) and open the files. It will do the upload and automatically make a small movie showed at the end of the operation.

3Darthur
05-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Would it be possible to delete my entry thread for the 3d Journey begins -

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=330964

I havent had time to progress this unfortunately,

however would it be possible to join the 2d Journey begins, I have a great 2d concept that can be finished and delivered in time,

thanks

mmoir
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Mibus,

I tried creating the zipped file with no directory, I selected all my images and chose a single name for my zipped file with no other directory path. The upload still does not work.

Meduncer, in the turntable upload area when I open the "browse" to locate the images I can't shift select , I am only allowed to load one file at a time.

This is extremely frustrating and I am wasting hours trying to do this. Mibus could you please just upload the file I sent you . Also my image is 240 X 320 and not 320 X 240 , would this make a difference if the aspect ratio is flipped.

Mike

medunecer
05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Mike. Did you try to select all the files in other way? I hope you will be succesful with it! Good luck!

alvin-cgi
05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey Mibus,

I tried creating the zipped file with no directory, I selected all my images and chose a single name for my zipped file with no other directory path. The upload still does not work.

Meduncer, in the turntable upload area when I open the "browse" to locate the images I can't shift select , I am only allowed to load one file at a time.

Mike

:sad: Hi Mike, same as me, I am also extremely frustrating nowww... dont know how much time wasting to do this, wondering any other solutions... anyone helps please...:sad:

Thanks

mmoir
05-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey Alvin,

I am just moving on to rendering out my layers and hopefully Mibus will take care of us. Pleeaaaseee Robert , we need you. Although I havent checked the status of my milestones since this morning.

medunecer
05-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Have you tried to open a !normal" folder"? Try to put frames in a not zipped folder, then ry to upload frames from that folder.

Mibus
05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
mmoir: I responded to your email - maybe it landed in your Junk folder or something? You have to compress all of the files themselves, not by compressing the directory they're in. If your image is the wrong ratio it should be stretched to fit the "correct" ratio.

medunecer: I believe you're mistaken. You must upload a ZIP file containing the images.

Silgrin: No, the judges wouldn't have the time to critique that much art. It's fairly time-consuming sifting through the hundreds of pieces of art as it is...

dorian3d: ZIP, not RAR.

3Darthur: Go right ahead and join the 2D challenge, but you've not got long left!

medunecer
05-19-2006, 06:56 AM
SORRY GUYS! I was wrong! I have uploaded the zipped sequence as Robert Mibus said and it works! Thank you so much Mibus!

dorian3d
05-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Thank you medunecer for your help. Anyway my mistake was compresing the files in rar format-not zip. With zip it worked.
Thank you Mibus for the help.
After the submit I got the mesage: Your movie has been uploaded! but the movie did'nt show, I think for a quick time error on that computer. Where can I see my turnable, just to be sure everything is all right.

XITIJ412
05-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Dear sir,

:sad: I have already uploded turntable but,there are some mistacked in my turntable,so i have to
upload new turntable,so what is Processed ? Pls let me know.

Actualy i dont know how to upload in turntable images,so i don wrong processed ? That for.

Thanks.

alvin-cgi
05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Robert,

I still getting "Could not convert ZIPped sequence into a movie." message, I don't know what wrong with it...:sad: could you help me with this...

alvin-cgi
05-19-2006, 12:57 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks all, I got it! "Your movie has been uploaded!":thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mmoir
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Hmm, what I do is go to the folder that has all the images saved, I open that folder and I see all the 120 images , I shift select all the frames and then zip the archive with no other directory just a name like Myturntable.zip. Could it be my zip program or maybe virus software that is getting in the way? I will have to deal with this a little later.
Alvin, glad you got yours uploaded , what did you do.

mmoir: I responded to your email - maybe it landed in your Junk folder or something? You have to compress all of the files themselves, not by compressing the directory they're in. If your image is the wrong ratio it should be stretched to fit the "correct" ratio.

alvin-cgi
05-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi mmoir, what I did was... open the folder which has all the 120 jpg images, shift select them all and right click " add to zip file", named the zipped file(i.e myTB), on Upload Turntable section, click "Browse" to locate the zipped file(myTB) and submit it, thats all.
Sounds like same as what you do... :shrug:
cheers

mmoir
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Mibus,

I really,really,really need your help , could you please upload my turntable for me. No matter what I do it wont work, I have probably rendered my image sequence 10 times a different way each time. I switched the aspect ratio and zipped like alvincgi did and it doesn't work.
I just emailed you the zipped file. Thanks.

Selina42
05-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Sorry to ask such an incredibly stupid question -but i know it says to save the jpg images for the turntable at 85%. I know in photoshop it gives you the options of saving the image quality as 12 Maximum down to 3 Low -but i cant see and am unaware of any option to save as 85%. Could anyone tell me the best way to do this? And sorry again for such a dumb question - i really have tried to look but genuinely dont have a clue here!

BlackDidThis
05-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Hello Selina (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=187377);

Since you have a value of 12 for the *.jpeg settings.. I presume your photoshop is a version that happens to have a "Save for Web" option.

Shall you click on that (it is in the same drop menu as "Save" is), PhotoShop will open another window where you can play with the optimisation settings.

There you'll notice that you have a slider for the quality value of the *.jpeg compression.
I am not too sure, but I presume they must have been reffering to that when mentioning of 85%.
The slider sets it's value from 0 to 100 max.

Hope this was of some use.

Black

Selina42
05-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Thank you very much Black!

It was and i now have it up and running so thank you very much and my apologies for my incredible silliness!