PDA

View Full Version : FAQ - The Journey Begins

Pages : 1 [2]

iamawizard
05-20-2006, 05:20 AM
want 2 know wheteher i am allowed to have text as i have done in my milestones

here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3561855#post3561855).

thank you for the replies

coochaki
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
... .. thanks:thumbsup: ... .. .

coochaki
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
... .. :thumbsup: thanks ....

doffer
05-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I know this has been asked 100 of times before, but I don't see what I do wrong, so I have to ask.

It's about uploading turnable.
I select my 120 frames turnable, contained of 320 by 240 pixels JPEG images, of a quality of 85 %.
I right click, and pack them in a ZIP file.
I try to upload them, but it says The ZIP couldn't be converted to film.
The ZIP file is on about 415 kb.

What should I do?

mmoir
05-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Doffer,

I am having similar problems, what zip software and software are you using . I am using UltimateZip and Carrara studio to create the image sequence, do you use any of these two programs in creating your turntable.

doffer
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Yep, I'm using UltimateZIP too.
Perhaps I should try another "zipper".

mmoir
05-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Hi Doffer/Mibus

Doffer thank you very much for responding to my question about what software you used for zipping. I tried again using Winzip which I also had on my system but never use and my turntable uploaded fine . After 20 times or so trying it is nice to finally see my turntable upload.

Soooo..., I was using Ultimate zip 2.71 to zip up my images and it doesn't work, Mibus you may wan't to let people who are having problems know this. I am going to check if ultimate zip has updates as my version is probably old.

Mibus
05-22-2006, 12:31 AM
The turntables are at the top of each person's challenge page; the link is in the first post in your challenge thread.

XITIJ412: You can upload over previous turntables. If you have trouble uploading, post here what you've got so far and we can help you through it.

iamawizard: No, it's just the animation.

Doffer: As mmoir hints at, try another zip program.

The "problem" with the other ZIP software (judging from the ZIPs mmoir has sent me) is that it's putting the JPEGs in a folder inside the ZIP file, even when you've not asked it to. There's likely an option for it, else you can try different software.

ravioli_rancher
05-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Please help.

I've uploaded a .zip file using PicoZip, PKZip, Winzip, and 7-Zip.

Each time it says Upload Successful. But, each time, no Quicktime movie.

I've tried the naming conventions img0000.jpg, img_0000.jpg, img000.jpg. and still, no movie will start.

The files (120 total) are 320 X 240, exactly as instructed, and saved at 85% .jpg in photoshop (exported directly from ZBrush, one at a time as a .PSD).

If it says upload successfull, why won't the quicktime play?

Again, please help.

dorian3d
05-22-2006, 08:19 AM
I need a little help about the Ftp & final Image.
Has anyone submited the Final Image? Can you show the steps followed using ftp for the final submition?

iamawizard
05-22-2006, 08:28 AM
no mibus i was asking about 2d challenge milestones as in the below link

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=322659&page=1&pp=15

whether i can add text over my image

if i shudnt do that i have to re submit all the milestones

so please help me regarding this

thank you

doffer
05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes! Winzip did the trick.
Lovely.
Thank you guys so much. Great feedback.

About the ftp steps, I would kinda like to know that too.
Never really used ftp, so a brief guide would be perfect.

ashiataka
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
As a mistake l submit mileston: Shading(Textured and lit) type as milestone:final image jpg. and the image that l submit is not the final image jpg.At the end when l Submit my real milestone:Final lmage jpg would it be ok?

hungthai
05-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I seem to be having the same problem dorian3d is having. I can't upload my final image. I've saved it in tiff.. zipped it.. and tried to upload it in the submit entry page.. but didn't work. What did I do wrong?

toribird
05-23-2006, 01:52 AM
can i know if save at jpeg file which format better?! Izit RGB better?! Because my artwork color diffrent when see at monitor screen and lcd screen...help~!!

Mibus
05-23-2006, 02:53 AM
ravioli_rancher: Email me a copy of the ZIP and I'll take a look (robert@ballisticmedia.net)

dorian3d: Go to the "Submit Final Image" page, you get the FTP connection details there. There are various FTP guides around the web you should be able to use.

iamawizard: They look OK to me.

ASHIATAKA: As long as you've submitted one image for each milestone in the dropdown then you're OK. If your Shaded image is your final image, then resubmit it and select "Final Image" in the dropdown.

hungthai: You must use the "Submit Final Image" page to upload the TIFF. You do need to upload a Final Image JPG to the regular submit entry page.

toribird: Use RGB, yes.

SideAche
05-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Iv'e been trying to upload my final image for the last 5 days. I get a FTP connection, upload it and all appears final. But when I check my status, it still shows that I have not uploaded my final image.

ashiataka
05-23-2006, 07:41 AM
ASHIATAKA: As long as you've submitted one image for each milestone in the dropdown then you're OK. If your Shaded image is your final image, then resubmit it and select "Final Image" in the dropdown.

Thanks Robert Mibus for your answer.But there is a misunderstanding.
The image which l submit was for the Shading (Textured and lit) milestone.
But as a mistake l submit that image as ''Final image'' (that is the wrong one)
Then l resubmit the image and select ''Shading (Textured and lit)'' (that is the right one)
Now the image seems both in Shading (Textured and lit) and Final image .At the end if l submit my original ''Final lmage'' jpg. will it be OK.
Sorry l take your time twice.

iamawizard
05-23-2006, 07:50 AM
thanks mibus

dorian3d
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks Mibus.

BobbEr
05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Please, help me! Can I place some text to my final image? For example title of my work?

penartist26
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
just a quick Q. what if internet user are not allowed to use any ftp programs in there using computers like a restrictions block ipswitch_home edition just for ex.are being blocked in the office or internet cafe, or some webftp url's what do u prefer alternative solutions for the high resolution 300dpi or more,? i guess it can be yousendit.com but i know its too awkward for the cgsociety folks.,but how do u handle that, u just denied the entries? pls advice.thank you

PELENG
05-23-2006, 09:34 PM
I have one question. May I post my work after deadline date (27 may) in other galleries, or I can do it only when the results will be known and the challenge will finish?

Thank you!

penartist26
05-24-2006, 12:00 AM
moderators and admin here? i notice that some entries here can upload up to 2mb size i thought the file size image should only be 150kb or less jpeg format when u submit for the critqz.i fully respect this forum but since this is a challenge for everyone registered members here' i know many folks here are trying to compress there images since it is required by the moderators,150kb for jpeg but 2mb or more? thats unfair,right click properties and u will noticed some,

Guile_tc
05-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Hey,
I've posting my final TIFF image using the FTP guide named "Fetch" and it seens to be going fine. But when I do the Refresh on the CG page, It still says that I've not sended the final image. What can be going on??

Mibus
05-24-2006, 05:35 AM
SideAche: Looks OK to me... it's likely your FTP software just didn't realise that it worked.

BobbEr: Sure, but don't let the image rely on it.

nards26: Try to find a web cafe or library that allows FTP.

PELENG: Sure.

nards26: Please post an example.

Guile_tc: Did you use the filename given to you on the Final Image page?

penartist26
05-24-2006, 07:09 AM
SideAche: Looks OK to me... it's likely your FTP software just didn't realise that it worked.

BobbEr: Sure, but don't let the image rely on it.

nards26: Try to find a web cafe or library that allows FTP.

PELENG: Sure.

nards26: Please post an example.

Guile_tc: Did you use the filename given to you on the Final Image page?

hi tech support, heres are just sample links i just checked u can checkout the properties or computing the bytes:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=324286
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=360807

im not against these people since i love there works and everyones work here b'coz it also inspire me to draw more,but well this is a contest so everyone in the forum must follow rules accordingly to the admin or moderators here, it happens that the size of these files is over
150KB' 200kb almost actually or maybe some can be mb's so this is my Q.? how come the webserver can upload such bigfiles, is there an error syntax in the backend programs?
im just curious,:)

Mibus
05-24-2006, 07:51 AM
nard26: The 150kb limit is enforced before the image has the copyright banner added. After that, the server will recompress to whatever size it deems necessary to maintain quality.

penartist26
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
ok thanks 4 the answer mibus.:)

alvin-cgi
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
"Image dimensions should be print resolution (as large as you can possibly render). Do not send in a low-resolution placeholder and ask us to get back to you, as we won't.
A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI."

Hi Mibus,
I am abit confuse here, I have uploaded the final HiRes Tiff file as required, everthing is fine, I sent it at file size 3636x2657 @ 72dpi, is that OK? Do I have to convert it to 300dpi, could you please clarify that for me?

cheers:)

3Dspline
05-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.

The deadline is May 27th, now would the submission be accepted at the end of may 27th, lets say 11:59pm? and what timezone is this forum running at?

not that i'm going to be submited last miniute, just hypothetically...

rasamaya
05-24-2006, 06:38 PM
On the submit image page, there is a count down. I am pretty sure you can use that to the minute, but I wouldnt to avoid the last minute rush. Yuk.

Now, what I came to say is... This FAQ rocks!, your quick answers and patience! Thank you so much. Making things clear and allowing us to focus on our ideas, knowing we are on the right track with requirments and all. I must have read the whole thing 5 times. It was my first challenge. Thanks HUGE!

Womball
05-25-2006, 02:04 AM
So I upload a tiff and jpg at the final resolution zipped? Where and how do I upload this file? Also do I have to additionally send a 150 kb image for the final milestone, in addition to these files? Or is the final milestone generated automatically when the files are uploaded?

Flydesign
05-25-2006, 02:47 AM
I’ve been trying to upload my final image and have no success in having a successful upload. I’m saving as a tiff out of photoshop cs2 and is it my settings? Do I need to save a jpeg with my tiff image? Just don’t get it, call me lame, but could someone help me.

paperclip
05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Robert--

I uploaded my TIFF image, at least that's what my SmartFTP program tells me, but when I refreshed the upload page, it insists that I haven't yet uploaded my TIFF. What's a clippy to do?

EDIT: Nevermind- I found another ftp program that does the trick. Thanks anyway!

domclubb
05-25-2006, 12:43 PM
i was wondering, the zip file has to have the file name you specify. Does the tiff image inside the zip file also have to have this name?

fer3d
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi, Mibus!

1) The editions made in the title and notes of my final image at

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?postid=3559691#post3559691

do not appear in the Challenge page at

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10368

Could you please fix that?

Thank you!

2) Also, when I click on the icon of my final image tiff, I don't get the gigantic 4000 pixel I sent, but a small preview. This is normal, right?

fer

Samanthie
05-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Flydesign;
I’ve been trying to upload my final image and have no success in having a successful upload. I’m saving as a tiff out of photoshop cs2 and is it my settings? Do I need to save a jpeg with my tiff image? Just don’t get it, call me lame, but could someone help me.

Your final wip image must be jpg and is uploaded in the same way as your previous wip images. The tiff image is sent via ftp in a zip file by itself.

Instructions;
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/instructions.php
Click on 'upload final image' from the menu.

Flydesign
05-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Your final wip image must be jpg and is uploaded in the same way as your previous wip images. The tiff image is sent via ftp in a zip file by itself.

Instructions;
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/instructions.php
Click on 'upload final image' from the menu.

My final WIP is jpg, my tiff is in a zip file by itself and my zip file has the filename that was given me. I get “There was an error loading your file. Please try uploading again.”

rasamaya
05-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Im not admin, so dont quote me... I had to submit twice, I got error the first time. You will see it updated when refreshing, then make sure you have all your miles stones- there is a link in one of your emails sent earlier this month. You will get a confirmation email - saying they have received everything- that ones good to hear!

Flydesign
05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Im not admin, so dont quote me... I had to submit twice, I got error the first time. You will see it updated when refreshing, then make sure you have all your miles stones- there is a link in one of your emails sent earlier this month. You will get a confirmation email - saying they have received everything- that ones good to hear!

Thanks for your reply Rasamaya. Just I’ve uploaded several times and I get that error message. It’s just that you work hard on a digital painting and you get disqualified because you can’t upload your file, what a way to go out.

croesbrun
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
howdy their, i'm having problems with uploading my tiff final image,
i did however upload my wip final image (the jpg one) but i don't know how to upload the ftp image :s i don't even know what "ftp" is,

its seems to be that we should have reciefed some e-mail concerning the final image, but i didn't have it or it is possible that i have deleted it, :s.

anyways it would be handy if someone could tell me how to uploud the final tiff image inside a zip file...

sry for my bad english...

croesbrun
05-25-2006, 07:19 PM
somehow i think i fixed it, i downloaded some program for this magical ftp thing and was able to figure some things out and upload the image, atleast i think, its there but its ratter small when i click on the thumbnail... is this normal ???

Womball
05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
The image you upload in "submit final image" does that automatically resize it for the final milestone entry? Or do you have to submit a final image and a final milestone seperately?

penartist26
05-26-2006, 12:54 AM
this is the end of the journey right? i hope artists here from around the globe enjoy there experience here as well for the new entry challengers like me.thanks cg folks for this kind of journey u have given us,it makes us to know more learn more cg techniqz and styles from other fellow artists here from amatures to elite (PRO).cgtalk rocks!:thumbsup:

mdavid
05-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I see that some folks are still concerned about the right way to upload their finals. I am not an admin, so I can not guarantee that this is the correct method. However this worked for me:

There are two versions needed of the final:
- a JPG uploaded via the regular upload milestones page. I downsized mine to be within the standard milestone limitations (150k max size, not exceeding 1280 x 1024 pixels) I don't know if that limitation applies to the final JPG, but it's what I did.
- a huge high resolution TIF file saved as follows: RGB, 300dpi, no layers, no paths and no extra channels

To upload the high res TIF it was done via FTP, and compressed and named a certain way:

1 - Give the file a name that makes sense to you. My guess is that it's better if there are no spaces or fancy characters in the name. For example the name I chose for mine was MDAVIDfinal.tif

2 - Then zip-compress the file but NOT the file within a folder. Only the file. So with that file zipped it gets turned into a file with .tif.zip at the end of the name. Leave it like that for now (you'll soon be changing its name)

3 - Go to the Instructions page for the challenge and there's a navigation button on the left for 'Upload Final Image'. Click on that. Log in and follow the steps

4 - After your login you'll be given FTP information that is specific for your entry only. Included in those instructions is a filename. This is where you rename your zipped file to exactly the filename they give. Don't worry about the .tif part of the file name disappearing, because when it gets decompressed at the other end that information is retained.

5 - As a Mac user I used Fetch for my FTP. I've got really slow broadband so it took me an hour and a half. So try not to leave it to the very last minute!!!

6 - When the upload is complete, wait a minute or so for the file to be digested at the other end. Then there is a button you click on the upload instructions page to 'refresh image' or something like that. If you click on that then you should see a thumbnail of your final. That means it's done.

I'll do another post to explain step-by-step the process I used to successfully upload my turntable. I hope this helps

mdavid
05-26-2006, 02:07 AM
TURNTABLE
The turntable is not only one of the 3D milestones, it's also part of the judging.

You create it not as a ready-to-play movie, but as 120 JPG images with filenames numbered in sequence

Uploading the turntable did NOT work when I stuck them all in a folder and zipped it and unloaded that. Here's what I did that worked:

1 - select all the JPG image files from your turntable

2 - Zip-compress 120 jpgs together (On a Mac, you select your 120 JPGs and go to the File menu -> Make Archive of 120 Items)

3 - In Mac OSX I ended up with a file called Archive.zip
The instructions say that archive must not exceed 2Mb. Mine was 1.9Mb

4 - Go to the Submit Turntable button accessible from the Instructions page and click on it. Follow any login prompts etc that it gives, if any

5 - When asked to select your file then just select your Archive.zip

6 - When it's finished the page should refresh to say 'your movie has been uploaded' and then a Quicktime movie will load and then play an animation of your turntable. That is a confirmation that it worked

7 - To view the movie again later, go to the very beginning of your thread and click on the 'View Challenge Page' link.

You can only have one turntable, but if you make a better turntable later then upload it, it will overwrite the earlier one.

Good luck folks. Oh, yeah, this turntable stuff only applies to the 3D entrants of course. I can't imagine a bigger nightmare than getting all the 2D artists to animate a turntable of their scenes!

Mibus
05-26-2006, 06:58 AM
mdavid: I'm sure everybody will appreciate your efforts in writing that up - thanks!

The image you upload in "submit final image" does that automatically resize it for the final milestone entry? Or do you have to submit a final image and a final milestone seperately?

No. Final Image Milestone and Final Image TIFF are separate uploads.

its ratter small when i click on the thumbnail... is this normal ???
Yup! :thumbsup:

It’s just that you work hard on a digital painting and you get disqualified because you can’t upload your file, what a way to go out.

There were extra files and directories in your ZIP. I've manually removed them and it processed OK.

OK folk - the weekend is upon me and I'm going home very shortly. I may or may not get a chance to check in on this thread before Monday, so I'd ask that you all help each other as much as possible until the challenge ends.

Good luck!

BAMU
05-26-2006, 09:30 AM
an observation: i first try to upload my tiff with a ftp client, nothing happend, so I try directly with my bowser, it worked :), so some problems may occure, try different ways to upload, one of them should work finnaly
good luck!

barbapapa
05-26-2006, 11:06 AM
im trying to upload a new turntable, but is not overwriting the old one...damn. i there a way to change it ?? i dont like it

living_for_cg
05-26-2006, 12:24 PM
My friend(irananimator... Hamed Katebi) has posted his image wrongly from my ID(living_for_cg).As we work in the same company(Bonyan Film) he used the internet computer to upload hi image but i was On with my ID in cgtalk and he just uploaded his image with my ID.:sad:
i deleted that from my production pages but cant remove it from my main challenge page which shows the work prosses above each other.
I will be so thankful if you just remove it from my page.

paperclip
05-26-2006, 12:36 PM
It'd be fun if we had a 'Green Room' where finished entrants could hang out and discuss each others' work and be all anticipatory for the results!
How about it? Please? Maybe just a stickied thread in the Challenge forums? :love:

Nazirull
05-26-2006, 01:54 PM
For those who have problems with ftp....try go to

www.surftp.com (www.surftp.com)

Its web-based and its good if ure not the admin of the computer ure using.
Ive uploaded mine and it works! :):thumbsup:

Good luck to all!

dorian3d
05-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi Mibus. Today I uploaded My Final Image .Tiff, a friend of mine has done it for me because he has a fast line. He says that everything has gone fine and a small preview of the image poped up after pushing the Reefresh Image button. Where can I get the exact confirmation about the Final zip submition? Can I see my tiff image enyware ?

Samanthie
05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Dorian,
This is the only way I know of.
On the View Entries page click on 'upload final image.' Then just follow the steps and you can view your tif image. :)
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php

paperclip
05-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Plus, Dorian, you should get an email confirming your submission!

irananimator
05-27-2006, 05:37 AM
wrong post!

dorian3d
05-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Hi Samanthie and thanks for the help. I followed your steps and in the Final Image Status section it shows a thumbnail of my upload, and when I click on it opens a biger version of my image with the name: *****_*******.zip that was given to me.

paperclip thanks, but still I did'nt recieved any e-mail confirmation for this.

Hi Mibus, is everything OK with my Final Image ? Do I have to recive any e-mail confirmation ? When ?...

irananimator
05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
For those who have problems with ftp....try go to

www.surftp.com (http://www.surftp.com/)

Its web-based and its good if ure not the admin of the computer ure using.
Ive uploaded mine and it works! :):thumbsup:

Good luck to all!

Could you explaine more about this site. i tried alot to use it but couldnt.i dont know how to use it.? Before this i have downloaded a software wsftp which the cgtalk has told it.but cant work with this.
i need some detailes about how to upload through that site.please!
it shows me a little window which says if your image wont upload in less than 30 seconds try a smaller file and then it disappear and the main window start to load some thing but doesnt finish.Do i have to wait to complete it or not??
If there is any other way please let me know. i did it so simple for ballistic challenge.
If i wont upload it my 3 month work will lose:sad: Please help me.

paperclip
05-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Iran, try using a different FTP client- AceFTP3 freeware is quick to download and easy to use. TIFF files are HUGE and tend not to go in 30 seconds- mine took 45 mins to go through!

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi Mibus, is everything OK with my Final Image ? Do I have to recive any e-mail confirmation ? When ?...

Hello, the same here. I didn´t recieved any e-mail confirmation. Is it all right? Everythings looks to be there by looking at "challenge page" and "final upload section".

Hope, we can sleep good tonight :)

living_for_cg
05-27-2006, 12:05 PM
paperclip i have some questions .Did you use AceFTP3 for uploading yours? How big was your tiff file? What kind of internet connection you used? 56k ,adsl...?

BAMU
05-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Hello, the same here. I didn´t recieved any e-mail confirmation. Is it all right? Everythings looks to be there by looking at "challenge page" and "final upload section".

Hope, we can sleep good tonight :)

well, I recieved an e-mail confirmation :shrug:

paperclip
05-27-2006, 12:51 PM
paperclip i have some questions .Did you use AceFTP3 for uploading yours? How big was your tiff file? What kind of internet connection you used? 56k ,adsl...?

I did use AceFTP3, free download from the website:http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/aceftpfreeware/

Tiff file was pretty big, I'm not on the comp now so I can't check. Flatten the layers before you save as TIFF, you'll save time. I used broadband access. Hope this helps you some!

doffer
05-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I didn't get any confirmation mail either.

It uploaded fine, and I can go in and see it on my "upload final" page.

paperclip
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Sometimes the confirmation email doesn't come in for a good while-- as long as you get it within 7 hours of submitting, I wouldn't panic too much. :)

EDIT: I got mine after 7 hours. It's probably fine after then. Anything after that is probably OK too, I just don't know about that.

notpill
05-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi, paperclip i've a question for you - yeah i know that is the mibus house:) - but i'v seen your entry (and the nebezial entry too) in the Finished Work gallery BEFORE the end of the challenge, but when i tried to do the same thing this is the response:

"Your submission has been declined for the following reason(s):
Please do not submit challenge images until AFTER the challenge has ended.

Maybe i did something wrong?

and what mean AFTER? after de voting? after the deadline?

tankyou for help :thumbsup:

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 03:25 PM
I did try to upload my final again. Is it all right to use non compressed *.zip file ( the same size of zip as is *.tif ) ?

paperclip - for me it was more than 7 hrs now.
Miiiibuuuuussssss weeee neeeeed youuuuu :D

paperclip
05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi, paperclip i've a question for you - yeah i know that is the mibus house:) - but i'v seen your entry (and the nebezial entry too) in the Finished Work gallery BEFORE the end of the challenge, but when i tried to do the same thing this is the response:

Hmm...did you label it 'challenge entry- *name*'? If so, that might be your problem- I submitted mine under a different name and I didn't have any problems. :D I do have friends who are mods, so that could be another reason- one might have taken pity on me! Try again..that's all I can say!

Oweron: Did you check the upload page and refresh that? It's OK to have an uncompressed TIFF, then zip that and FTP the zipped file. Did you give the file the same name as the zip? I'm not sure if that's necessary, but it could help? :shrug: Zip files ARE compressed anyway.

The 7 hours was how long it took for me to get my email, after that it's in the realm of the mibus. :D

doffer
05-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I called my zip file, the name I was handed, but the tiff file it self is called something else.
Does it matter what the tiff is called?

paperclip
05-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not really sure. I named them both the same name to avoid hassle though.

notpill
05-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes maybe it's a label problem. Thank you theresa and good luck :thumbsup:.

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Doffer - I don´t think that this matter ( I did call my tif with different name within spectacular challenge and everything was o.k. )

paperclip - I can see small icon in "final upload section" - looks correct, no problems. Only thing is that confirmation. Didn´t get anything from yesterday.

Stefan-Morrell
05-27-2006, 03:40 PM
it doesnt matter what the tiff is called,but the zip needs to follow the name(numbers) they give you

I wish there was an edit option,I've since changed a detail on my final image & can't overwrite my previous upload :(

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
I wish there was an edit option,I've since changed a detail on my final image & can't overwrite my previous upload :(

That is strange. I am sure that you can overwrite your final image as many times as you want. It might be that thumbnail is cached first time and don´t change anymore.

paperclip
05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Stefan, you CAN overwrite your uploaded image, I've done it myself before, both with this challenge and one I've done previously. The refresh page should show the updated TIFF after you've FTPed it though. The thumbnail should refresh to show your newest update.

Oweron: As long as you can see that it's been uploaded in that refresh page, you're OK to go. That confirmation email isn't the final say, it's just an extra pacifier for us entrants. :p

Stefan-Morrell
05-27-2006, 03:54 PM
'cached'..hopefully your right,I'm uploading again just in case.
will keep you posted

Selina42
05-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Just a quick comment. I couldnt render my image at quite the full resolution -i ended up only managing 2500 x 3360 -it was the most my computer could manage. Do i need to tell anyone about this?

paperclip
05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
selina, that should be OK. In the uploading rules they say if you can't manage full res, to go as far as you can...plus, you're not far off from the recommended size anyway.

Guile_tc
05-27-2006, 05:57 PM
hey, I've posting my turntable, the zip file wich have only 540K with al the 120 images. I did all as you sad, but when the preview of it appears only shows the first images not it all.
what's going on??

dorian3d
05-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Where is Mibus ? Only he can give me the the FINAL answer. To me, everything looks fine and the FinalImage thumbnail means that it was uploaded. The only mising piece is this e-mail confirmation. I don't want to risk any disqualification for this. The time is ending and I need to know for sure.

Please Mibus inform me about my Final TIFF !
Thank you.

doffer
05-27-2006, 06:15 PM
@Dorian3d: Same here!

@Guile_tc: Try using another zipper. That worked for me.

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Uff, I am with doffer and dorian3d. Need to be sure.
I did read something like Mibus is out till Monday... so... I just don´t know.

HypnoticGenes
05-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Can I get a hand uploading my final image. I cant even get a connection to the CG server.

HypnoticGenes
05-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Can I get a hand uploading my final image. I cant even get a connection to the CG server.

Nevermind, I just went to web2ftp.com and uploaded it there.

Guile_tc
05-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I still can't upload my Turntable correctly...
I've zipped it with Stuffit and ZipIt.. on both only the first imagens appears....
anyone has anothe sollution...?

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I still can't upload my Turntable correctly...
I've zipped it with Stuffit and ZipIt.. on both only the first imagens appears....
anyone has anothe sollution...?

If you want, send me your *.zip file and I will check it for you. Send it now to...

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 10:10 PM
O.K. I did another upload for my final *.tif, the last one. Everything seems to be there, conection was fine, upload was stright. Still no e-mail confirmation for me. Mibus, If you will have time, please, give me a shout :) This is "The End" for me. Good luck everybody!

JurajMolcak
05-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Guile_tc - I created archive.zip file for you the same way I did mine. Have a look at your post box. Hope it will work...

Guile_tc
05-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I found the problem but can't get over it...
it only opens the files named until img0009.. the others lik img00010 and so can't be readen...
so......
any help is wanted!
and thanks a lot Juraj!

Guile_tc
05-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I found the way out!
no more help needed! i just renamed it all img_0001 etc
now works!!
good luck to all

cLos71
05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Or is the Challenge officially over? I could use every minute I have.

beelow
05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Hey I still have not recieved a confirmation, that my image has been recieved. Also when I go to submit stuff it is telling me that all of my milestones are completed! for the 2d not the 3d, but my thumbnail for the tiff image that I sent over through ftp, shows that you guys have recieved it, but the thumb of my image is not showing. iIt is showing just a red X with whiteback. I am concerned if oyou guys have recieved it all all! Let me know something, I would hate to see my image not go to through to judging.:sad:

mmoir
05-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Hey Mibus,

It's probably a little late now , but in the last day or two of the challenge I found that my uploaded images lost something when cgtalk converted the image to upload. I vaguely remember someone saying that you have the Gamma setting at .89 or there abouts. I think this was the problem I was having could you confirm what gamma settings you use. I was going to upload an image to my thread just to see if it helped but I can't submit entries anymore.

P.S. I uploaded my gamma corrected image to my CGportfolio, I think it made some difference it is much closer to my original .

leigh
05-28-2006, 03:15 AM

A couple of challenge entries slipped through accidentally because of miscommunication between moderators. Sorry about that!

The challenge officially ended TODAY so challenge entries can now be submitted.

monsitj
05-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Hi all! about confirm email , I just got it after I submit final tiff 2-3 days later , so I think don't panic , if you upload all milestone and thumbnail in final page show correctly , I assmue that confirm email are send by automatic script or something( don't sure) maybe it take time when server have lot of traffic (I'm not mod ). and from my experience from the past challenge , mibus and staff are very great support , if you do every step correct in time and the problem is about server load , they can help you for sure . and from my experience , submit your final tif before deadline at least 1-2 days if possible . good luck to you all !

JurajMolcak
05-28-2006, 08:51 AM
...and from my experience from the past challenge , mibus and staff are very great support , if you do every step correct in time and the problem is about server load , they can help you for sure...

Good to see that monsitj. Ha ha ha, lol, it is not strictly about "panic". It is just kind of thing, that you know about somebody who did get confirmation, and you didn´t... Everybody just want to have everything correct after this hard/nice journey. And upload-connection-ftp-send-confirm-... is that side of CGI that makes us go nuts ( beside freezing, crashing, rendering...) :thumbsup: Thank you. Good luck!

Try
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I have tried to find out when the final result will be announced by the jury…?

Can’t see a set date anywhere…

BAMU
05-28-2006, 09:25 AM
yep, good question, I'm interested to know too :)

alvin-cgi
05-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I didn't get any confirmation mail either.

It uploaded fine, and I can go in and see it on my "upload final" page.

Now I am really confused!!!:argh: What "confirmation mail"??? What are you guys talking about? I never received any email after upload all milestone, turntable, HiRes Tiff and thumbnail in final page, and all show correctly, do I(we) need that "confirmation mail"??:curious:

paperclip
05-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I have tried to find out when the final result will be announced by the jury…?

Can’t see a set date anywhere…

It usually takes about a month. :)

doffer
05-28-2006, 12:24 PM
The challenge officially ended TODAY so challenge entries can now be submitted. So we should wait to upload the finals till after the challenge deadline?
I'm kinda confused.

Now I am really confused!!!:argh: What "confirmation mail"??? What are you guys talking about? I never received any email after upload all milestone, turntable, HiRes Tiff and thumbnail in final page, and all show correctly, do I(we) need that "confirmation mail"??:curious: Apperently some of us (not me :sad: ) recieved a mail, confirming their finals have been uploaded.

beelow
05-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi all! about confirm email , I just got it after I submit final tiff 2-3 days later , so I think don't panic , if you upload all milestone and thumbnail in final page show correctly , I assmue that confirm email are send by automatic script or something( don't sure) maybe it take time when server have lot of traffic (I'm not mod ). and from my experience from the past challenge , mibus and staff are very great support , if you do every step correct in time and the problem is about server load , they can help you for sure . and from my experience , submit your final tif before deadline at least 1-2 days if possible . good luck to you all !

Thanks Monsitj, yeah being a guy that has had problems previously, you can kinda expect that from me, hehe. I will continue to checko on this. Peace and congrats to everyone that finish!:thumbsup:

unwrap
05-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi. I haven't uploaded the final image milestone, but I have uploaded final TIFF via FTP. Does that count or I'm disqualified? :hmm:

BAMU
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
well, I feel sorry to say that, but you must achieve all the milestones along tiff image, at least this I've clearly undesrtod from info stuff.

BAM

unwrap
05-28-2006, 09:23 PM
well, I feel sorry to say that, but you must achieve all the milestones along tiff image, at least this I've clearly undesrtod from info stuff.

BAM
Yes, that's what I fear too, that's why I need an official yes or no.

iamawizard
05-29-2006, 07:09 AM
hi doffer

it was regarding submitting the challenge images in finished work forum.

u mistook it for challenge image upload

regards
Sivaprasad Velayudhan

doffer
05-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Oh... sorry.

Try
05-29-2006, 08:33 AM
It usually takes about a month. :)

Thanks fore the info Theresa.
Know they have a lot to go trough, but sure wish we didn’t have to wait so long!:)

notpill
05-29-2006, 09:21 AM
A couple of challenge entries slipped through accidentally because of miscommunication between moderators. Sorry about that!

The challenge officially ended TODAY so challenge entries can now be submitted.

Submitted!:thumbsup:

thank you.

centurionit
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Fondamental question for me: I rendered everything at 300 pixles but just now opeing in photoshop I have see that the one I sent is 72 pixels...
Now I tryed to resample at 300 pixels and is perfect because was rendered at 300 but is valid or not???
I mean they have to resample the pixels, but the image is in origin at 300....what will happend..???
I'm afraid....I didn't check on photoshop because I knew that was at 300...ARGHHHH
Who knows something???

unwrap
05-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Fondamental question for me: I rendered everything at 300 pixles but just now opeing in photoshop I have see that the one I sent is 72 pixels...
Now I tryed to resample at 300 pixels and is perfect because was rendered at 300 but is valid or not???
I mean they have to resample the pixels, but the image is in origin at 300....what will happend..???
I'm afraid....I didn't check on photoshop because I knew that was at 300...ARGHHHH
Who knows something???

You're fine. What matters is the pixel resolution, the dpi is not that important they can always resample the dpi and the quality won't drop.

centurionit
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Thx for your answer, but Photoshop says that the pixels are72 not dpi...I'm not practic with this things, so I really don't understand...
On the " image size" it says: resolution 72 pixel...BAH???

unwrap
05-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Thx for your answer, but Photoshop says that the pixels are72 not dpi...I'm not practic with this things, so I really don't understand...
On the " image size" it says: resolution 72 pixel...BAH???

What's your resolution in pixels? For example 3600x2700 or 2400x1800 or something like that.

centurionit
05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
What's your resolution in pixels? For example 3600x2700 or 2400x1800 or something like that.

3636x2657...THX for reply friend
Excuse my answer, but I'm curious: did they pay you for the image in ballistic???If yes how much?
I have no idea how this kind of things works...Seya...

unwrap
05-29-2006, 11:40 PM
3636x2657...THX for reply friend

That resolution is just fine, you're fine with it, it's exactly how the rules require. As for the dpi, if they need to print it they shouldn't have any problems resampling the dpi, no quality or size in pixels will be lost. Dpi is only for the size on paper. Don't mention it.

Mibus
05-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Hi all!

I think I've responded to you all personally now; if I've missed anyone then just shout :)

We've had around 300 people complete the challenge; judging will probably begin late this week.

Good luck to you all!

beelow
05-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Thanx, Robert!:D :thumbsup:

dorian3d
05-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey, I got my e-mail confirmation.

Thanks Mibus!

Lithan
05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
i submited the final tiff a week ago and now i'm worried because i didn't receive the confirm email yet.
Mibus inform me please... Thank you

notpill
05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
i recived email confirm for my first final submission. Later ive submitted an update of my image but i didn't receive a new email, i suppose that it's normal. I'm wrong?
my final entry page and his thumbnail it's ok.

doffer
05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I haven't recieved any mail :)
Perhaps it's because I'm not in.
I did render it pretty small :(

Jaba153
05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi mibus i have done a mistake sending my final 3dimage on tiff format...i 've send the 2d final image instead the 3d one...what can i do...i'm confused...i've sending the correct one also in the finished works..but it still a jpg...
Let me know if it's possible to find a solution..i'm so stupid i've just checked right now...sorry

OZOZOZ
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
:) hi! can you tell me please, whan the resoults of the challenge will appear? or where can i get this information?

cgoz
05-30-2006, 08:53 PM
is this ok for now to show up our final images in cg_gallery thread?

Mibus
05-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Lithan: You'd submitted a RAR, not a ZIP. I've downloaded / converted / re-uploaded it for you.

notpill: That's normal :)

doffer: You're in...

Jaba153: The FTP is open for the moment - hurry quickly and resubmit your 3D!

OZOZOZ: It's planned to have the results before the end of June.

cgoz: Should be OK.

Lithan
05-31-2006, 05:39 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifHi Mibus, I've got my e-mail. Thannk youhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

doffer
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
@Mibus:

Awesome!
Thanks a lot for the support.

ashiataka
05-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Mibus,

I've been waiting for the confirm mail since I've submitted the final image tiff on May 25 .When I checked all the WIP images ,they seems all submitted.Also on the upload final image page I can see the thumbnail of my image.But I still have no confirm mail.I still in hope because messages from CGTalk forums are stiil coming to my mail even they're early dated.Is everything ok for me?

Mibus
06-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Hmm... *kick*

All better ;)

makaron
06-01-2006, 05:13 AM
hallo :)

is it gonna be a thread with all those that made the deadline and are in the challenge? as in the last challenge... or is that up already and I missed it?

Stefan-Morrell
06-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi Mibus..I've had my final confirmation email,but I was trying desperately before the deadline to overwrite my final image with a new one(made a cock up of the eyes of my main character)

I resubmitted several times but the image doesn't seem to have been overwritten(other people here have said they did manage to overwrite the final image so I'm confused why my one didnt take):sad:

is there any way to resubmit the final .tiff ?

Cheers
Stefan

Mibus
06-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Final contestants:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/entries.php

Stefan: Is it possible you're seeing a cached copy? Try doing a force-refresh. Failing that, FTP it somewhere else and I can forcefully push it to the server.

Stefan-Morrell
06-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Mibus..dumping all my temp files & following the link you provided just now has fixed it,the final image looks perfect!

thank you very much for your patience :thumbsup:

makaron
06-01-2006, 06:23 AM
thanks for the link... :bounce:

penartist26
06-01-2006, 06:46 AM
i posted my final images tiffs before the end of the contest but how come my images cant get to the ftp? i just follow instructions now, when i get access i upload my files via zip then suddenly the ft program is 100% transfer 2 ur webserver but still i check the connection its 0 object in ur webserver.?weird? and now im not in the list, awwwch! and no notification by emails?? how come,anyways if thats the story il just take a look at those wonderful pieces,luckily uploaded...good job moderators:eek:

BAMU
06-01-2006, 06:46 AM
ermm, there is a problem if my nick is -BAM- on entry and now in BAMU?:shrug:

BAM

Mythmaker
06-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, my pic's definitely there :thumbsup:

But Looking through the gallery I've noticed 4 missing paintings so far (finished entries).

Skankan Srisuwan (FIDUCIOSE)

Dehong. He (hdhcg)

Charermpol Kuraiat (createmai)

Leonardo Calvillo (snowan)

unwrap
06-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi Mibus. I had updated my TIFF yesterday, but in the page you've provided it seems that the old TIFF is displayed. It's no biggy, I had only changed contrast. Sorry for my bitching, you have already done so much for me :love:.

melkao
06-01-2006, 04:42 PM
A quiestion.....

Can i use pictures or photos to the background of my final image(moified)?:shrug:

Mibus
06-02-2006, 01:47 AM
i posted my final images tiffs before the end of the contest

If that's the case, either the upload never worked (we don't even have a partial upload), or you used the wrong filename. Do you know what filename you used?

BAMU: No, it's fine.

FIDUCIOSE missed "Final Colouring". Since they've submitted so many "Coloring WIP" ones, I've moved one to "Final Coloring".

hdhcg: Similar deal.

createmai: No final TIFF

snowan: No final TIFF

sergage: Email me a copy of the two JPEGs and I'll take a look on the FTP.

melkao: It's a bit late - the challenge finished last Saturday.

melkao
06-02-2006, 03:21 PM

I know that is a bit late...but i reaaly want ot know the answer.....!:D

unwrap
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Problem solved, no need to send you e-mail. Thanks.

GHOGHNOOS
06-03-2006, 06:30 AM
hi . how was it?
:bounce:

Mibus
06-05-2006, 04:34 AM
melkao: You could have used them as a basis for your background. Using them as a featured part of your art would likely lead to disqualification.

fer3d
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Mibus,

the editions I made in my final entry (title and text) in

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=324363&page=7&pp=15

do not appear in the challenge page at

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/view_entries.php?challenger=10368

How can I edit my text in the challenge page? Or is there any way you could do it for me?

Many thanks for your help!

fer

Mibus
06-06-2006, 05:57 AM
fer3d: I've copied it over.

Womball
06-06-2006, 06:00 AM
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what's involved in the judging process? And when will the winners be announced?

unwrap
06-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi Mibus, me again :D . I was wondering about the story thing. I'm not sure if it's required to have it in the challenge page (together with the final milestone), but I have a story in my forum thread. I don't know if the judges are gonna look at the thread and find the story, so I'm kinda confused about this. Do you think I'll be fine with the story in my thread or you could copy it next to the final milestone :D ?

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what's involved in the judging process? And when will the winners be announced?

In the judging process: everything from milestones to community interaction, to concept sketches and technical execution, ALAIK.

The results should be in in the end of June. It obviously takes a lot of time for the judges to go through not just all the entries (and there are hundreds of them) but also through the milestones and stuff. So one month is even pretty soon :) . Good luck!

Womball
06-07-2006, 02:47 AM
I was just curious. I kind of figured it would take awhile. Isn't there 1000 entrants?

BAMU
06-07-2006, 07:44 AM
There are 306 final entrys, 135 3D and 171 2D.

BAM

JurajMolcak
06-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Just curious here about turntables. Why they aren´t in wip pages you can entered from the list of finalist? They are only within regular WIP´s, am I right? This turntable stuff was very cool additional part, even that there was many problems uploading them... :thumbsup:

hdhcg
06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
If that's the case, either the upload never worked (we don't even have a partial upload), or you used the wrong filename. Do you know what filename you used?

BAMU: No, it's fine.

FIDUCIOSE missed "Final Colouring". Since they've submitted so many "Coloring WIP" ones, I've moved one to "Final Coloring".

hdhcg: Similar deal.

createmai: No final TIFF

snowan: No final TIFF

Hi,Mibus~
I saw my name appeared in one of your posts, I wonder if there's something wrong with my image. And I didn't receive the confirm email, I did upload the final image before the deadline, but I uploaded twice, first without the note and the second with it. So sorry to trouble you with that but I really worried about if I get the qualification of the entry.
Waiting for your answer and good luck!~

Silgrin
06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Is it allowed to post my progress on other sites and forums?

Just to be absolutely sure:

Can I post the final composition in my gallery somewhere outside here, or to Renderosity, etc., before the judging ends?

PS. Probably the last one in the series of my stupid questions:p I don`t expect to be among the winners ( :scream: ), but loosing the contest because of some stupid mistake would be extremely annoying:D . It was too big fun for me! BTW, thx everybody :thumbsup:

unwrap
06-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I hope it's not against the rules, cause I've already posted my final in R-osity. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
I just saw new entrants in the 3D section. What's the point letting people enter now, if the challenge is over? :shrug:

dinodog-jr
06-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Hi Mibus,

I had read thru previous page about the FTP upload for TIF was opened at last week?!

Frankly, i dun check into this FAQ section after the challenge submitting door was closed at the deadline day.

I just clicked in curiousity bout the discussion in here at this minutes by right now.

I am hoping i can uploading my TIF in ZIP to complete my Journey.~

Here is what happend why i couldn't fulfill myself in this challenge. I neva tot this could happend at the very moment.. aiks..As you can noticed, i tried my best to upload the Final Image. Just i couldn't afford to upload the TIF file in GPRS rate.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=353108&page=2&pp=15

I wish i could be one of the qualify entry. I did my best for this challenge.

Thx man~

p/s: In fact, i had left a msg to one of the challenge's leader here. Too bad, i can't typed a proper PM in my GPRS browser. And the whole process is unsmoothly to allow me contacted any MODS in the very moment at the deadline.

fer3d
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Thank you Mibus!

fer

Mibus
06-13-2006, 02:50 AM
dinodog_Jr: The FTP is sometimes left open a couple of days for stragglers. Anyone who contacted me (via PM, email, or posting in this thread) was told, so they could try again. Unfortunately judging has already begun, so it's too late to add your entry.

Everyone: Entering your work on other sites is fine.

hdhcg: You should be in fine.

dinodog-jr
06-13-2006, 05:00 AM
Mibus,

Now i know dat. I just tried my luck again.
Thx for the attention.
Good luck in judging~!

MrFreeman
06-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Hiya Mibus and co....

Do you have any idea when the results of the challenge will be announced?

I'm sure all involved are really busy, but it would be great to know (I know someone mentioned the end of June - is this right?)

In the meantime - great challenge and looking forward to the next :) :)

Mibus
06-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Yeah, should be end of June, possibly early July.

MrFreeman
06-21-2006, 10:38 AM
:) Cheers Mibus...

JackZhang
06-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Mibus, someone in the previous post said that there are 135 3d final entrys and 171 2d. Did someone announce who made to the final? or those numbers are just unoffical? If the number of final entry is correct, is there a way to find out who made to the finals without check the entire entry list?

Riddick
06-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you Mibus for the answer about the annoucement!
It will be hard to wait!:)

BAMU
06-22-2006, 06:24 AM
Hi Mibus, someone in the previous post said that there are 135 3d final entrys and 171 2d. Did someone announce who made to the final? or those numbers are just unoffical? If the number of final entry is correct, is there a way to find out who made to the finals without check the entire entry list?

I said that, but I'm not an official :), I just entered here: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/entries.php
and counting them

BAM

melkao
06-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Hello!....the wating is killing me.......the winners when will be anounced?:bounce:

ramy badie
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
just out of curiosity, how does the judging work? is there some sort of point system where the images are judged based on different categories, or are certain standout images just chosen and then compared with each other, or is there some other way that I haven't thought of? Sorry for being nosy ^^;

walrus
06-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Melkao -
To quote Robert from 5 posts ago:
Yeah, should be end of June, possibly early July.

Ramy -

I was curious about the same thing, and so I asked in the last Challenge. Here's what Robert had to say:

The judges are allowed a fair bit of flex - we don't force them to vote on any particular points, since then we could nearly pick the images ourselves. We point out the guidelines, inspiration - all stuff that's publicly visible - and let them make up their own mind on which images they like, and which images they feel fit the theme. After that, each of the judges independantly votes on the images. If they want to collaborate that's up to them, but AFAIK they usually don't.

When reviewing the images they can look up the challenger info, story, threads, etc. etc.

After all that it gets smacked into a spreadsheet, tallied, we compile the challenge results page, make a feature article, write up a congratulatory thread, then let everyone know :)

-mike

(who has not an original thought in his little head and just happens to be good at quiting Mibus. ;))

rasamaya
06-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi MIBUS,

I have a concerning question?!

In the 3D forum, I can search for my thread and its there, but if I look by views or name, it seems not to be there. How long has it been like this... is there a reason? I worked very hard on my entree. Im sure its just a bug, but....

Like I said before, thanks for all the help!, Cheers.

adonihs
06-23-2006, 07:02 PM
ah im very anxious to see who won! good luck to every artist :)

rasamaya
06-23-2006, 08:23 PM
OK, I went through them all. And my thread is not there, unless I search my name. There are a few that are left in the forum, but not finished entrees; perhaps the wrong one was removed?

edit= I added something to my thread, and now its back. I will guess it was a time thing.

Reverence
06-23-2006, 08:55 PM
i just wanted to ask.. hehe.. when will be the final anouncement of winners both 2d and 3d?:)

V_Shane
06-24-2006, 03:21 AM
huh, I've been gone from CG for a bit catching up on things (one of the reasons I couldn't finish my entry) came back expecting to see the winner posted. Not yet eh?

unwrap
06-25-2006, 12:05 AM
In other news, we'll be announcing the winners on January 13th - now you all have a date to write in your calendars!

Quote from December 16, 2005. Almost a month prior to the announcement. Back then...

Will you announce the announcement day this time as well?

Mibus
06-26-2006, 01:25 AM
sergage: Nope, sorry.

rasamaya: The default forum listing will hide any threads that haven't had activity in 30 days.

rasamaya
06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Foof- I was worried for a moment, its nice to know I wasnt disqualified for not knowing all the rules, This was my first CG challenge and all. Thanks for the quick reply.

AWaqas
06-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Mibus,

Im wondering because I cant find my entry. Did I disqualified or something? Theres only 4 pages of entries, and mine isnt there.. I searched for my nick and I found the thread, but I dont know where it is tho..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=340600&highlight=Awaqas

Again, am I out of the challenge already?

Thanks in advance..

regards,

::waqas::

notpill
06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
rasamaya: The default forum listing will hide any threads that haven't had activity in 30 days.

AWaqas, post something in your thread and its come back! :)

Anarki3000
06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
like mibus said, your thread didn't have any activity in 30 days, so this means nobody replied in this time. Try to post a reply in your own thread and maybe u'll see it again. After all, it's just hidden and I don't think you're disqualified, cause there are still some threads visible, and those works aren't even finished

thebest
06-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Mibus,

Im wondering because I cant find my entry. Did I disqualified or something? Theres only 4 pages of entries, and mine isnt there.. I searched for my nick and I found the thread, but I dont know where it is tho..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=340600&highlight=Awaqas

Again, am I out of the challenge already?

Thanks in advance..

regards,

::waqas::

sorry for interfering but I think Mibus has answered that

unwrap
07-01-2006, 10:10 AM
We are close to knowing the results, aren't we?

paperclip
07-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Where have you been? The winner was announced as being Ruolf Dieske of Germany. Here's the picture:

http://www.esr.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/esr/Gruber/winner.gif
L-R: Leonard, Roberto, WINNER: Ruolf Dieske, (behind: ThirdEye and Leigh) With microphone: Rebecca, Michael Dashow and Simon Dominic Brewer.

leigh
07-03-2006, 12:09 AM

Probably. I kinda know who the winners are already.

:twisted:

unwrap
07-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Probably. I kinda know who the winners are already.

:twisted:

Ok, in that case I have to ask this. Since you know who the winners are, it means the judging's over. So I suspect Mibus (or other staff member(s)) is preparing the web pages and stuff. This brings me to the conclusion that you also know when the winners are going to be announced.

Could you share that information with us? Plz! :deal:

Mibus
07-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Should be within the next seven days, so calm down :)

Womball
07-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Yay! My parents keep asking me about this. And my responses range from "I dunno" to "Need to eat brains! Arggh!"

Reverence
07-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Should be within the next seven days, so calm down :)

woahh!! im excited to know... *calmly..* we hope sevendays wouldpast:bounce: .. the anxiety of waiting a month or so...:scream: lolz... just to say.. Congratz to the winners.. heh i have my bets.. :scream:

Wysocki
07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I have some simple question: when will be next challenge on CG. ??

unwrap
07-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I have some simple question: when will be next challenge on CG. ??

If we stick to the way the challenges were held before, it should be sometime in September or end of August of this year.

Riddick
07-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Where have you been? The winner was announced as being Ruolf Dieske of Germany. Here's the picture:

http://www.esr.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/esr/Gruber/winner.gif
L-R: Leonard, Roberto, WINNER: Ruolf Dieske, (behind: ThirdEye and Leigh) With microphone: Rebecca, Michael Dashow and Simon Dominic Brewer.

AHAHAHAHA, that is funny!!

vampeta
07-07-2006, 06:48 AM
AT FIRST...

CONGRATULATIONS ON ALL PARTICIPANTS AND ON THE WINNERS!
check them out here
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3650

well i can say from my side it was a very hard task to judge all these awesome artworks and it´s a real pleasure to see what come have out.

And for all those who are not on the list...please don´t be sad! I am sure the next Challenge will come our way very soon.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!

And now.. have fun at the PARTY :beer: ;)

ALEX

iamawizard
07-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Congratulations Winners !!

Really deserving

had a nice time learning...

Congrats again....

Climax
07-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Congratulations to all
:thumbsup:

Zapan
07-07-2006, 07:32 AM
yay !!!

I'm both so happy and so stunned !! .... I mean weren't we supposed to at least have finished our entry to get the community prize ?
That's obviously an honor for me I only hope that's not a mistake ....

Congratulations to all , has been an awesome experience once again !!

cheers ,

-Zapan

medunecer
07-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Congrats to all the winners! Really astounding stuff! Amazing pieces, both 2D and 3D!

Mibus
07-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Congratulations to everybody involved - I'm really impressed at just how awesome some of the images were :)

It's worth also directing everyone to the full winners listing, including honourable mentions:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/

Well done everyone :thumbsup:

domclubb
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
wow. some outstanding work there. congrats winners. All thoroughly deserved.

unwrap
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Again, congrats to all! Can't wait for the next challenge. :bounce:

SuperXCM
07-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Congrats to all participants it was a great challenge!! :beer:

Waiting for the next one! :bounce:

Thanks CgSociety and all members!!

PS/ There is a problem with the link of KoryH on the page http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/ ...when i click on the pictures, i go to an another pictures from M&S Challenge. :shrug:

Silgrin
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Mibus for posting the link to the list of the winners... though I couldn`t find it otherwise, maybe it would be useful to put a link on the challenge page? :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Mibus
07-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks Mibus for posting the link to the list of the winners... though I couldn`t find it otherwise, maybe it would be useful to put a link on the challenge page?

Link to which? The feature article is currently the front-page article, and the "full" list is the first page shown when you visit the Journey Begins area.

Silgrin
07-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I mean some link on the contest page. The CGTalk main page banner will disappear after some time and it will be hard to find the list of winners. I meant some link on the page that is displayed when you enter the challenge area. I see nothing there.

AWaqas
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /challenge/journey_begins/ (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/journey_begins/). Reason: Error reading from remote server

Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at features.cgsociety.org Port 80

Still couldnt see the winner.. arghhhhhhh... I know I dont win, but i wanna see the winners..

gilloo
07-15-2006, 08:41 PM
.../... Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No. The purpose of the "Challenge" is to challenge artists in creating original concepts and characters. Where's the challenge in using pre-fabricated characters as main subjects? .../...
I'm a little frenchy, so, sorry for my idiot question, but I'm a real newbe and I've some difficult to understand precisely what you write... Poser is prohibited ? Or Poser models are prohibited ? So, for exemple, may we use a model, tranform it, and redraw it ?

Thanks for your help.

Mibus
07-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Poser is prohibited ? Or Poser models are prohibited ? So, for exemple, may we use a model, tranform it, and redraw it ?

Poser models are prohibited. If you model it yourself, you could use Poser to pose it.

unwrap
09-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Any signs or whispers of the next challenge? SPECTACULAR was announced on September 5th as long as I remember.

vampeta
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Any signs or whispers of the next challenge? SPECTACULAR was announced on September 5th as long as I remember.

Yep :D waiting also ;) :bounce:

unwrap
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Yep :D waiting also ;) :bounce:

You gonna participate or you're gonna be a judge? Btw, nice puffy avatar :), makes me smile (I'm not sucking up, I just like your avatar).

coCoKNIght
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM
It's always a never ending wait for the next challenge, isn't it? :)

luciferous
09-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Shane want challenge, for once I have nothing in need of doing, all my art projects are personal ones i can drop and theres no bloody challenge.... GAH! I suppose it takes time to gather the sponsors and stuff... whatever the next one is i can actually put time into it this time

Mythmaker
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I think they might wait until the Exotique deadline has passed - that's the 18th Sept...

notpill
09-12-2006, 11:59 AM
EXOTIQUE 2 book is in production right now, I think the only one Call for Entries still open is Character Modeling 2.

Mythmaker
09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
That's wierd... I had it written down as the 18th... but it says Sept 4th on the site...

Guess I was mistaken... :shrug:

DesignerV
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm waiting to the next challenge as well :) I didn't even started something serious on the previous challenges so I hope to do it on this one :)

MrFreeman
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
he he he - i feel a challenge coming along - must be the case as work is picking up and that always happens when a challenge is announced - just when I should be doing something else.

please don't keep us in suspense any longer :) :)

notpill
09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
That's wierd... I had it written down as the 18th... but it says Sept 4th on the site...
Guess I was mistaken... :shrug:

Oh no,you right :) i remember something like AUGUST 18th then they moved the deadline to sept 4th.

@mrfreeman :scream: you must reject any commission until... mmm ...when Mibus?

Mibus
09-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I can't say. We have an internal deadline at this point, and it's a slightly different direction from normal. There are quite a few changes in the format too (it's #20!).

Mythmaker
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Only one thing I can say to that! - http://www.cosmosfactory.org/wavs/rocky/antici.wav

:D

unwrap
09-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I think there is a huge possibility that a new CG Challenge will be announced on this very Monday. Spectacular was announced on SEP 5th, which was Monday :bounce:.

unwrap
09-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Shoot, looks like I was wrong :sad: .