PDA

View Full Version : Skateboard anims wip

bubba
03-04-2002, 04:48 AM
Hello folks

I just got a link to this great forum and was amazed by all the great work in here!!!

http://www.dataport.no/~edvint/pic/skates.jpg

This is a project I've been working on for teaching myself some character-animation and wanted to use caracters with only clothes to avoid all the hassle with face expressions etc. I also wanted it to have a homemade feel with a rough cut :)¨

Anyway here is what it looks like now:

http://www.dataport.no/~edvint/ANIM/8180_versjon030102.mpg

Edvin

pg|
03-04-2002, 04:54 AM
welcome bubba!
i love this animation..
the feel is really good! and models are too!

.. and as someone who used to skate. it is extra cool to see something like this!

love it!
-C

Flynn
03-04-2002, 05:10 AM
yeah man that is really nice....and I hear what your saying about modeling the rest of the characters...but I have to say I would love to see it with the whole character made.

nice work!

element412
03-04-2002, 06:58 AM
kewl . i ve always thinked to do that. u really got the skate camera angle an all... great . just one thing . pls put arms at least . maybe no hand or head just arms!

MayaA-W
03-04-2002, 07:17 AM
Wow.. Great GI!!
Animation is spot on with skating you did a great job bringing the fluidity of the characters with the board together.. The characters themselves are awesome and kindof funny due to the faceless skater idea..
I have a question for you, did you do cloth or was it just polys that you binded with softbodies?
Damn I have to compete with this to find a job
:D

pinion3d
03-04-2002, 08:03 AM
Hey man, thats pretty cool! Nice work. Not too much to suggest, it might be cool for the characters to have hands floating off in space.
Anyway... Nice!

bubba
03-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the nice comments!

Pinion3d:
The characters where all done in Lightwave7 using subdivision surface and a bones with IK, no softbodies or cloth simulation. Although I've been thinkingabout using some softbodie stuff to make the clothes a bit less rigid.

I'm thinking about turning them into real characters someday with hands and a face and all, I just can't decide on the look. I would like them to look very cartoony, but not too mutch. And I kind of suck at making faces too :)

In the end I will add a lot more tricks, and try to make the overall feel of it a bit more agressive and up tempo, but then again I need more time....

Edvin

Chris Ollis
03-04-2002, 03:16 PM
Nice,

One thing, chuck some out takes at the end!
Every good skate vid has some nasty bails.

landing on the rail! legs going the wrong way! massive falls!
COME ON! WE WANT PAIN!!!!!

nice job Bubba

iNFERNiS
03-04-2002, 04:11 PM
wow, really cool animation, can't stop watching it.

The movement looks very real, the way they land and such, very well done.

Camera angles are very good to, just like the ones you see in skating vids. You should try simulating that special camera that makes everything look round that they use in those vids, well, kinda hard to explain for me :)

It's kinda cool that they don't have faces and such, it's something different, and I like it :D

very nice

schmu_20mol
03-04-2002, 06:02 PM
just like it! ;)

give us some bails at the end....need some pain;)

underdog
03-04-2002, 07:14 PM
thats prety cool man...I like it. The camera work is very good

dtek8
03-06-2002, 05:23 AM
this is a late reply i know but i just downloaded your clip,, on my 56 k modem,,

i have to say it was well worth it it kicks butt!!! i watched it 10 times in a row then called my bro and watched it another ten times,, i used to skate,, u captered every thing really well,,

love that little pausey rotate bit,,, it would be nice to do a whole street run through this strange minimalistic enviroment u created or someting doing big sets of stairs through some trafic maby with a ghetto blaster on one of the skaters chad musker style,,,,

wicked!!!

how long did u spend on it?

dtek:D

Threedeemer
03-06-2002, 06:38 AM
Im also glad I was able to download your animation. It was very well planned and put together and it truly does have a high coolness factor. The pause in the air was great and I really like the ending scene. They got rhythm.

Joel Hooks
03-06-2002, 08:11 AM
damn, I can't get the vids :/

seantree
03-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Sweet! I've been skating for about 12 years and I gotta agree with everyone here; You NAILED it!! Can't wait to see some more.

iTEXTUREthings
03-06-2002, 01:03 PM
hey thats cool man...its very smart to focus on what you like to do and let the rest go. I looks really good i want to see the animation :-D

DWIEMER
03-06-2002, 03:57 PM
a lot of (ex) skateboarders here :)
i also was touched by the whole thing!!! reall character in it. maybe you could also make a halfpipe and a ramp. man that's cool to animate!!! i got the goosebumps to skate again ;)

gr.dwiemer

bubba
03-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Thanks again for your comments!

Chris Ollis :
I have been working on making them fall properly, but it's so hard to make the interaction between the characters and the obstacles just right, but I'm working on it. It would be cooll to make them slam really hard and then make make the cap fall of or something :)

dtek8:
I spent a long time figuring out how to do the character rig, I wanted the characters to be able to push down the street then olliekickflip, then slam all using one character rig. With expressions on the trucks and board for the trucks and board to rotate and align the corect way acording to the pathb of the skateboard etc. So I spent a couple of weeks (one hour every now and then in my speartime) setting up the rig and one week doing the rest of the work (modeling, animating, postprocessing etc)

BTW this is my first sketch:
http://www.dataport.no/~edvint/anim/FancyPants1.mpg

Edvin

Rhino
03-06-2002, 04:10 PM
My knees hurt just watching it, you get old and you roll.

minus
03-06-2002, 04:27 PM
One of the coolest things I've seen in a while. The render style is just great and I could tell you used Lightwave right from the get-go. (LW user here aswell). This isn't a bad thing... it's just that you've rendered up to the point where some of the very best qualities of the LW renderer came through in ways that only LW can... (Err I didn't say that last part.... just move along if you want to start a render war).

The animation itself is top notch.. I wouldn't add anything to the characters except maybe hands. Otherwise I'd leave em. Very minimal the way it all works right now as I'm sure you know. I dig your eye for style.

bubba
03-06-2002, 10:35 PM
I guess you have got a point, I think I will add hands to the characters. It will give them a bit more life. Cool

Edvin

dur23
03-07-2002, 12:17 AM
Don't know if anyone already mentioned this... but i think when hes anyone of those tricks that involve a kickflip there needs to be more of kick. The ankle needs to snap way more...cause you gots to remeber that when there doing that its pulling the board up aswell as fliping it.....watch some skate vids and check out those ankles...;)

taylor
03-07-2002, 01:57 AM
nice! the fluidity of the skating and the poses are great! one thing bothers me, is the speed. the action seems to happen like it's underwater at times. i've been a skater for 10 years and seen my share of videos. oh, the one cut with the camera on the board, is kind of taking away from the whole piece. nice characters and rendering. is this going to be a comercial on 411? lol! just my 2 cents.

dtek8
03-07-2002, 03:51 AM
cool bubba,,

really interesting to know,,, so do plan on trying to get it into a vid?? or something...

there is some great animation on some of them,, the toy machine or chocolate (can’t remember) vid where the black paint pours into the shape of the skater,, wicked,,,,,

putting hands on might kind of spoil the thing that there invisible,, I mean if u have hands u kind of need faces I like the fact that they have this invisible man look,, maybe there is another solution,, hmmmm???

dtek
:cool:

FIREDD
03-07-2002, 10:21 AM
:D

pg|
06-07-2002, 12:04 AM
hey! i think i am speaking for everyone when i say this,
WHEN WILL WE SEE SOME MORE!!!!!!!

;)

... ta deg litt tid :P
jeg har slutta med msn btw.. den plagde meg når jeg holdt på med lightwave.. kanke du komme på irc?
du vet hvor du finner oss ;)

ROCK ON!

fluxgrafx
06-07-2002, 04:22 AM
hey..really cool....man, i 've been on and off on working on some sk8 animation myself...couple of things about the animation. You have to speed it up by 50% I believe. Also, arms will really help to show impact and compression/take off/setup...etc. etc. etc. more compression, harder landings. Looks good.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was just rewatching...and realized that you may have intended slow motion type feel..in which works good!...still landing though. Psyched about it. Curious as to the future of 3D, sk8 ads, video games?!!

bubba
06-07-2002, 04:35 PM

I am working on updated, but I have been so buissy lately that I have not had mutch time. I have added new characters, some of them have arms, new architecture and new tricks. I am also planning to add a ramp and some cool obstackles.

Initially I did the animations way too slow, when I tried to speed them up I landed in the middle of where I wanted to get (lacy man), but it looked cool so I stuck with it.

Put here is a stilframe with new architecture and character (I know there is a problem with the shoulders, but I will fix it later). i will remove the hands also.

http://www.dataport.no/~edvint/pic/board.jpg

And fluxgrafx please let me se some wip of you work :)

Edvin

tobalno3
06-07-2002, 11:06 PM
hahaha...that's amazingly cool!!!

Sevarf2
06-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Cool:buttrock:

rusky
06-08-2002, 01:14 PM
..good work.. !!
cheers !
:bounce:

markdc
06-09-2002, 07:22 AM
skating ghosts...

Junglist
06-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Really like the Feel of it man.. would fit good as a segment in a vid or something :) . I Like the Lighting a hell of a lot too is that GI or is there more too it? Bloom maybe on that last render?
Anyway it rocks!
:airguitar :buttrock: :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.