PDA

View Full Version : Very weird bone problem

jademcquade
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Hello.

I have a simple robot object and i have put two bones in its right leg and one bone in the right foot. However when I rotate one of the bones the whole object seems to warp out of shape.

Has anyone any idea why this could be?

Please help.

bobakabob
02-27-2006, 11:47 PM
You need to use weight maps to restrict the influence of the bones. Check the manual for how to apply them to geometry. There's a good rigging tut here:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/tutorials/tut5/1.html

bardakos
02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
you couuld always use large control bones to hold the geometry ...

toonafish
02-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Bones in Lightwave can work without weightmaps, but if you're only using bones in one leg Layout doesn't know you only want to deform the leg, even if you call them Leg- and Kneebone. It deforms the complete object based on teh rest-postion of all the bones that are in the object. So if you only have one bone in it, you're moving the complete object if you move the bone. Unless you use weightmaps of Limited range that is.

So unless you really only want to animate the characters Right Leg, it's best to continue with the rest of the rig so there's are also bones in the Left Leg, arms and head that will keep those polygons in place when you rotate one limb.

The trick with bones in LW is to adjust the deformation as much as possible with bones only. You can add small bones, just to keep stuff in place, or you can adjust a bones strength to ridiculous vaues. I sometimes use a value of 10.000 for the bone strength in a spine bone to keep things in place.

I only use weightmaps as little as possible, maybe to prevent the left leg from influencing the right leg, or the fingers from influencing eachother. And for the latter I don't even use seperate weightmaps for the left and right fingers.

jademcquade
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanx guys for the help, that character rigging tut has helped me a great deal.

Does anyone know if there is a way that you can restrict a bone to only rotate on a certain field.

For example i would like to restrict my lower leg bone to only be able to rotate on the Pitch field. This would help me avoid rotation errors. Does anyone know if our how this can be done?

PentamiterBeast
03-01-2006, 04:32 PM
i would like to restrict my lower leg bone to only be able to rotate on the Pitch field. This would help me avoid rotation errors. Does anyone know if our how this can be done?

Simple, just uncheck the channels (rotation, translation, etc) you want turned off on the bottom left corner of the interface. Just click the channels name (X,Y,Z, etc)

jademcquade
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
thanx Frequenter ur a star

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.