PDA

View Full Version : Project ORIGAMI NEW VIDEO! UPDATE 03/09/06

Saurus
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
MOD EDIT:

NEW VIDEO!

http://umpc.com/video.aspx (http://umpc.com/video.aspx)

-R

http://creativecoremedia.com/mso.swf

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/84224/microsoft-teases-with-secret-project.html

UPDATE:

Microsoft touts PC-like portable "Origami" device

A new portable media device that allows users to listen to music, play video games, browse the Internet and jot hand-written notes is the initial vision of a product in development by Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/finance/nm/tc_nm/storytext/microsoft_origami_dc/18227808/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft&d=t) - news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/biz/nm/tc_nm/storytext/microsoft_origami_dc/18227808/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/m/msft.html)) and its partners, the software giant said on Monday.

Microsoft acknowledged that an early version of its new hand-held PC-like device was featured in a video on the Web site for marketing firm Digital Kitchen.

"While Origami is a concept we've been working on with partners, please know that the video seen on Digital Kitchen's Web site is a year old and represents our initial exploration into this form factor, including possible uses and scenarios," a Microsoft spokesman said.

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060228/tc_nm/microsoft_origami_dc;_ylt=Aq6Ot_hvidvMTA9XB.KERHCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

SheepFactory
02-27-2006, 06:23 PM
The video looked super cool. This looks lightyears ahead of the ipod , if they come up with an attractive pricing i will definitely get one.

kpo
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
The video looked super cool. This looks lightyears ahead of the ipod , if they come up with an attractive pricing i will definitely get one.

I completely agree.

oatz
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Its telling that after putting his earphones in he pulls it out of his seat, not his pocket. That thing won't fit into any of my clothes for transportation.

Khye

DDS
02-27-2006, 06:56 PM
really awesome stuff, but if its as unstable as Xbox 360...

laureato di arte
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
ha beat me to it .... yea i must say this gadget looks cool, it apparantly runs on windows. I think i noticed the woman using alias sketchbook in the video... but boy the thing is massive, it seems a lil smaller than my tablet pc, but i guess it would be good for artists designers ect..
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148331

-Vormav-
02-27-2006, 07:15 PM
... :surprised
I want one! Its gotta have at least a decent amount of power to be running Halo. And having something smaller than my laptop around for things like wifi and digital photo retouching is pretty nice (I'd never even think of taking my laptop with me when I go out to shoot photos). Could be a great alternative when I don't want to carry my 20lb laptop around.

SheepFactory
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Exactly , It would be a dream come true for me if i can load up a 2d anim app on it or maybe even a PLE version of some app to practice anim on the go. Not to mention that is one nice large screen to watch movies on.

I cant wait for some pricing info on this.

enygma
02-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Damn... that thing looks pretty nice. Wonder what pricing on one of those bad boys will be.

heavyness
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
i've been following the chatter around and i love how people say "it's bigger then an ipod, i won't get it." well, considering the video is showing it doing more then most handhelds, i would expect it to be bigger.

lets all wait to pass judgment until we see more.

slaughters
02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
If you get mugged you can use it to smack the guy up along side the head. :)

Gee that thing looks insanely huge for a PDA type of appliance.

My LifeDrive has a 4 GB hard drive/wireless web access/480x320 screen/blah..blah..blah.. I'm sure that there are Pocket PC's with equivalent specs. What is the advantage of this new device (other than as a self defense weapon) ?

JDex
02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
It's more like the data devices on Star Trek (TNG and Later)... I'd like to handle one before passing judgement.

amfantasy
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't care you everyone thinks, thats a nice piece of tech. I can't wait to they hack it and load up the linux kernel :D

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
As a developer I have to admit that the potential for that device is HUGE.

I am really impressed with the demo.

-R

tuna
02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I'll wait to see what it can actually do before I make too much judgement. Although that video made it look huge, clumsy and awkward carry around. People hardly carry around 12" laptops to listen to music and email really important low-res phone camera shots to their grandmother.

Jozvex
02-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Wow! I want one too!

Price = must know.

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
The way I see this product is like the bastard child of an

Video I- Pod, GPS, Laptop, BlackBerry & Tablet PC.

And as a Tablet PC user I am sold.

The key for me it that it has to have the same "firepower" as a laptop.

-R

paintbox
02-27-2006, 10:05 PM
This almost looks like it was designed with a user in mind ;)

Looks like this has real potential, if the power vs price is right. Love to be able to sketch on these , amongst others.

(doesn't seem to have pressure sensitivity though)

amannin
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
not that i'll ever be getting this, but it certainly looks awesome -- especially if i had to move around / travel a lot, and as "sheepfactory" mentioned, if it supported apps for animation, i could see myself with one of these...

i wonder how devices such as these will help shape/mold future generations into the digital age...

DevilHacker
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I want one now.
:cool:

JMulder
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Rumors are that the price target is ~$500US, but I don't expect to see one for less than $750.

It's supposed to run a full version of Windows XP, but it's not a full-fledged computer. More of a cross between a PDA and a TabletPC.

I'd also say that, from every rumor I've heard, nobody here would be happy with it. Instead of thinking in terms of what you (as a graphics professional/junkie) would like to do with it, ask yourself what the AVERAGE user might like to do (take pictures, surf web, play MP3's, etc...)

All in all, it could be pretty cool, but most of us will find it lacking.

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 10:26 PM
In my opinion the sweet spot for a consumer for a device like this would be between
$500 - $600.

If they hit that price target range this device will be a BIG deal.
As an apps developer, I see A LOT of potential for this device.

And you know what would make the deal more sweet for developers?
If it was a direct port from XBOX 1. It would provide a huge incentive for developers
to port games for it.

-R

scoogee
02-27-2006, 10:29 PM
This device does have great potential as everyone has stated. I'll even jump on the bandwagon to say that I want one.

The cynic in me wishes that the commercial was a reality. Part of me thinks this commercial was filmed on a planet with a population of 30 people. That's why their global network runs so fast...thus giving the impression that this device will make my life more efficient. However, I still would like to draw on it :p

SpaceRabbit
02-27-2006, 10:34 PM
It looked as if the woman working on the sketches of shirts was working in alias sketchbook? The menu in the corner sure looked like it. Anyone else catch that? If thats the case, I definitely would consider this little booger.

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
I also like a lot that you can control home devices using it.
That expands A LOT what apps developers can do with it.

Imagine if you could sync a normal HIGH DEF TV with this device.

Pin_pal
02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Wow, this thing looks really stupid. All those "scenarios" are completely unrealistic, and make it seem like lugging that brick around is hip. These types of devices are only for tech-nerds who only want to put emulators/hack them. Can you really imagine yourself doing all those "productive" things during your daily life?

What a waste of money.

TAMcCullough
02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
That thing isn't a brick at all.

I've dreamed that something would come along like this for a long while. If Microsoft is working on something like this, then so are other companies.

I have wanted to be free of my desktop for a long, long time. It would appear that the users in that video that had it in their home would connect it to a larger monitor. Maybe for users like us you could piggyback the system onto something else to get more RAM and stuff pumping it up.

Either way, what the Ipod has proven is that the majority of users don't need complicated desktop solutions to run the programs they need.

Although I am become inreasingly more supportive of open source, this is very exciting. I hope it far exceeds my expectations.

Koogle
02-27-2006, 11:24 PM
hmm its a good start.. but I think its just a little bit too big for my liking.. its almost at a laptop size, so I might aswel get a laptop if I was in the market for such a thing. And if i wanted it as some sort of portable mp3/video player I'd want it smaller more pocket size.. not raincoat jacket pocket size :D ... anyway its definitely got potential just you won't see my buying one out of the first ones to be released. maybe a year from when they come out they'll have some new improved,smaller and just as powerful one out :)

should be fun to see what will really be possible with it and the types of applications that will get developed for it though.

I'm wondering if it has any disc drive? or something so that users can format and then reinstall the OS should anything go wrong? :D

JDex
02-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Looks to me like it's no where near the size of a laptop... 8.5" x 5"... that's about 3/5 the area of the smallest laptops I have seen... not saying that it's a practical size for it's shown uses, but that a laptop it is not. I'd still like to hold one to determine it's worth.

Beamtracer
02-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Is Microsoft making this gadget?

If so, this would be the first time that Microsoft has manufactured both the software and the hardware for a Windows device.

DevilHacker
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
I keep watching the video...
And I can not help but wish the device was a little thinner...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O-ya... By the way people...
Anyone else see Halo runing on the device?
Thats becouse the device will be running vista, which will support all original Xbox games.

...just wait and see...
;)

pgp_protector
02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Would love to have one.

1) PDAs too small for e-books for me
2) Laptops too large for E-Books at night + Heating problems.
3) Good size for reading at night, web serfing (With flash support)
4) Lovley hacking potential :D
5) Specs ? I'd guess no HD, but support for normal Memory cards ? (SD, CF or such ?)

kaiser_pro
02-28-2006, 12:48 AM
this already exsists on the market, and its made by nokia, does all the same stuff, (perhaps not the GPS, cant remeber)

Its much thinner than that brick aswell, most likly got more battery life.

i think its called the web comminucater, but not sure, it was on slashdot a while ago

MAK
02-28-2006, 12:56 AM
this already exsists on the market, and its made by nokia, does all the same stuff, (perhaps not the GPS, cant remeber)

Its much thinner than that brick aswell, most likly got more battery life.

i think its called the web comminucater, but not sure, it was on slashdot a while ago

Nokia Internet Tablet --> here (http://www.nokiausa.com/770)

Icarus
02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
that looks really cool, impressive aswell

on a side note, anyone know what band they use for the music in the add, ive heard simular music, before but i really dig the tune they use.. anyone know it / the band?

Dennik
02-28-2006, 01:24 AM
I'd like to see this on e-paper. All that plastic is a major turn off. :p

ReBootedOne
02-28-2006, 01:33 AM
...it's neat, but I think I'd rather save up and just go tablet PC...

-eric

DotPainter
02-28-2006, 02:50 AM
I am sure this thing would have its niche, but I wouldnt call it an ipod killer.
The ipod is perfect for those who like a small gadget that fits almost anywhere
and can hold gazillion tunes. This is perfect for those who want a little more
than a ipod/pda hybrid, but less than a tablet pc.

Funny things issues from the video:

Not once does anyone ever connect this thing to another appliance
using a cord. Is microsoft actually implying that I would have a wireless
connection from this device to my digital camera AND cell phone? Nice
idea Mr. Gates, but..... heelllll no. That is pure science fantasy right there.
Is Microsoft going to pay to have wireless access points everywhere?
Once again, Mr. Gates, nice try but I dont see it happening.

As far as the DCC side, I can see having a lite version of maybe like photoshop
or sketchbook pro, but are software makers going to allow me to have multiple
copies of software on multiple devices for one price? I hope so, otherwise,
more science fantasy. Something like this would work well with customized
versions of photoshop, etc, designed to work within the small size and
limitations of the input devices, but those "customized" versions of the app
would have to be built by someone I would think.

I also like the ability to feed my addiction to games and such. But it would really
suck not to be able to synch up my progress in the game from playing on this
to the game on my pc. Likewise, it would suck if the game software(or any software)
was sold in versions ONLY for this and not be a universal binary for both my home pc
AND this device. I sure would not want to have to choose between the full
experience of the PC version of a game and the LITE version.

I guess we will have to wait to see the details on these "fantasy" features in action. : )

Joss
02-28-2006, 03:00 AM
Well if Microsoft is listening, this thing has to have:

1) Good pressure levels for us Tablet Junkies to sketch with.

2) Big Fat Hard Drive (40+ gigs)

3) Waterproof... because you know & I know it'll get wet eventually.

4) Impact Resistant

Bullet proof basically.

hightillidie
02-28-2006, 03:32 AM
double post, sorry, anyway to delete this?

Also excuse my grammar. I am self-thought english.

hightillidie
02-28-2006, 03:34 AM
This looks incredibly stupid from where Im standing.

Its waaay too big, me personally dont like the design at all. Looks like something youde buy from Toys'R'Us that with Elmo embedded in the border. Anywhoo it looks like it can do alot of things, but transfer pictures from a digital camera with no cord and then send it to a printer in -bumfcukingegypt- wiressly is just not possible yet. I hope they work on the design more, because right now it will not appeal to most of America. Theres no way this will wipe out iPods either. iPods are the future for music unless something smaller,better and more commercialized comes on the market, but I dont think apple are going to let that happen.

And Im pretty sure it will be like the PSP, on commercials we will see "GET IT ON DVD, PSP, AND THIS NEW MICROSOFT THINGIE MAJINGIE". Id prefer a laptop , but surely would not pass this over. Its good but still not good enough for my use. I dont see anyone being able to work on any 3d software without a mouse and about 2d , the programs that woman used looked like basic paint with a little more options. And it would be pretty hard to make adobe bust its ass to make this compatible and have different versions of its software and that would happen if this was a big boom and everyone bought it.Im not saying it will never happen,although Id love to fire up Macromedia Flash on that thing when Im on a long trip.
About the gps, nice idea but I dont see anyone snowboarding with that brick stuck somewhere where the sun don't shine...

All in all its an ok idea and I shouldnt have written so much about something thats not even on the market yet.

One question, someone sayd it would be using Vista wouldnt that mean that Vista is in its testing stages right now? O.O I thought they were still making Vista.

Anyway, this is the longest post Ive written on CG :D

sconlogue
02-28-2006, 04:34 AM
Personally I think the race for Tiny music/video/game/etc. devices is going to back fire just in time for this thing to look good to the average consumer. For one, have you tried to actually watch a tv show on your ipod!? Interesting but entertaining? no. Tooooo small. Did the "watchmen" tv of the 80's last? nope... too small. 3" screens don't cut it. This screen looks more reasonable. It being a Microsoft product is a love hate thing. I would love for an underdog to come up with something like this but you need R&D bucks. As for stability I would say no problem there. I was a microsoft xbox 360 sceptic, believing all the buzz about instability and damaged discs and overheating.... Got my 360 a few weeks ago and I swear the thing is on almost 24/7. It has been rock solid I'll go from a DVD to a Game to downloadinga demo to playing that demo to playing some music streamed off my PC via my xbox to ripping some cds to the hard drive back to playing a game all in one evening without a glich. R&D bucks at work there. (man, where did my life go???) So I imagine this thing could make it happen too but 10x better. I'll get one without blinking.

maX_Andrews
02-28-2006, 04:37 AM
They use a digital leica in that ad. I just used the same camera yesterday, and it has no wireless whatsover...I think this device must "hijack" the electronics of all surrounding devices...like windows fighting back with its own virus! ;)

It's possible to have wireless picture transfer from a (compatible) camera and send a file for printing anywhere, but there is no standard and thus there's a different procedure for each manufacturer. It's a neat idea but it needs a lot of widespread support before it can work seemlessly.

Now here is the real dilemma. It uses a transmissive display which is NOT what you want for daylight viewing and is NOT durable by any means. It's also very power hungry. More power=larger battery=heavier&thicker. If they used E-paper, it would have great battery life and be very durable and easily readable in bright daylight, but e-paper has a 500msec response time and thus can't display any type of full motion video or games, so it won't use e-paper. That's too bad... It would be nice but with e-paper it basically becomes a glorified sony ebook reader.

That said, it needs to be thinner, light (if it's not already), long lasting (at least 4 days on a single charge with intermittent use), and most importantly: possible.

I liked the video, but the device needs futher design.

Microsoft should have waited longer before releasing the acknowledgement of this product, people will forget about it by te time it comes to market, and by then there will be many other similar products, possibly including one from apple tomorrow.

Kentaro
02-28-2006, 05:25 AM
Looks promising at best. I'll keep an eye and try to grab one. Anything that plays Halo has my attention.

Besides I work for MS, :rolleyes:

Per-Anders
02-28-2006, 05:49 AM
i don't suppose it matters that much that the thing is ugly, too big for real portability, uninspiring and apparently lacking any real new features/technology. because so were the first mobile phones. this is good because it's going to give a bit of a shove for this technology, the more people making this sort of thing, the sooner it'll all come down in price, and the sooner we'll start seeing actually useful/useable peices of technology in the same vein. i can't wait till we have affordable tablet multi-level pressure sensitive pc's the size of pda's/pocket sketchbooks.

btw for those intereste,d there's been a lot of other stuff that's (apparently) just like this around for ages now. mostly theyr'e called "webpads" rather than tablet pc's (for thisgn this small) http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT3817259617.html

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT3282012016.html

sony - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/sony_micro_pc/
ruby - http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops-pcs/ruby-tiny-tablet-pc-prototype-040037.php

and of course gates showed this last april : http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/apr05/04-25WindowsThirdDecadePR.mspx

(which to me looks a lot nicer/sexier/more useful, but seems to be based on another device i saw last year).

jcorpe
02-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Well according to an article on IGN http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691935p1.html the video that shows the Origami is over a year old. The concept could have changed dramatically since then.

thatoneguy
02-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Funny things issues from the video:

Not once does anyone ever connect this thing to another appliance
using a cord. Is microsoft actually implying that I would have a wireless
connection from this device to my digital camera AND cell phone? Nice
idea Mr. Gates, but..... heelllll no. That is pure science fantasy right there.
Is Microsoft going to pay to have wireless access points everywhere?
Once again, Mr. Gates, nice try but I dont see it happening.

I guess we will have to wait to see the details on these "fantasy" features in action. : )

*cough* Bluetooth.

maX_Andrews
02-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Well according to an article on IGN http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691935p1.html the video that shows the Origami is over a year old. The concept could have changed dramatically since then.

Why would they make such a professional video using an early prototype? I think microsoft has had this in the bag for a while and was holding out to spoil whatever it is apple is going to release tomorrow. The fact that the video was "leaked" is an attempt at viral marketing. But it's too pro to be a trial run for an early prototype. THe devices shown in the video looks like finished products.

JDex
02-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I believe this was released direct by Microsoft, through 3rd parties because of the pending announcement tommorow from Apple... in a few hours we'll see if the rumors of a somewhat similar Apple device are true.

paintbox
02-28-2006, 08:37 AM
I believe this was released direct by Microsoft, through 3rd parties because of the pending announcement tommorow from Apple... in a few hours we'll see if the rumors of a somewhat similar Apple device are true.

It would be great to see these two going head-to-head on a similar device, that only drives progress, and hopefully also the price down ;)

If hope this device is more powerfull than the webpads people posted sofar. And if they make it Xbox compatible they could have a real winner. Apple cannot follow in that area.

I am going to wait and see...

koexistens
02-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah, they have for sure chosen the dates for their presentations carefully. Very exciting..

/Max

bj0ern
02-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Theres also an article on gamesindustry.biz today: link (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14987)

RobertoOrtiz
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Microsoft touts PC-like portable "Origami" device

A new portable media device that allows users to listen to music, play video games, browse the Internet and jot hand-written notes is the initial vision of a product in development by Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/finance/nm/tc_nm/storytext/microsoft_origami_dc/18227808/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=msft&d=t) - news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/biz/nm/tc_nm/storytext/microsoft_origami_dc/18227808/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/m/msft.html)) and its partners, the software giant said on Monday.

Microsoft acknowledged that an early version of its new hand-held PC-like device was featured in a video on the Web site for marketing firm Digital Kitchen.

"While Origami is a concept we've been working on with partners, please know that the video seen on Digital Kitchen's Web site is a year old and represents our initial exploration into this form factor, including possible uses and scenarios," a Microsoft spokesman said.

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060228/tc_nm/microsoft_origami_dc;_ylt=Aq6Ot_hvidvMTA9XB.KERHCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

mummey
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
As a developer I have to admit that the potential for that device is HUGE.

I am really impressed with the demo.

-R

Just like a Tablet PC...

mummey
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
i don't suppose it matters that much that the thing is ugly, too big for real portability, uninspiring and apparently lacking any real new features/technology. because so were the first mobile phones. this is good because it's going to give a bit of a shove for this technology, the more people making this sort of thing, the sooner it'll all come down in price, and the sooner we'll start seeing actually useful/useable peices of technology in the same vein. i can't wait till we have affordable tablet multi-level pressure sensitive pc's the size of pda's/pocket sketchbooks.

btw for those intereste,d there's been a lot of other stuff that's (apparently) just like this around for ages now. mostly theyr'e called "webpads" rather than tablet pc's (for thisgn this small) http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT3817259617.html

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT3282012016.html

sony - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/sony_micro_pc/
ruby - http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops-pcs/ruby-tiny-tablet-pc-prototype-040037.php

and of course gates showed this last april : http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/apr05/04-25WindowsThirdDecadePR.mspx

(which to me looks a lot nicer/sexier/more useful, but seems to be based on another device i saw last year).

Heh, you had to rain on everyone's parade before I could. ;)

I myself find that I have to be very skeptical when I see announcements like these coming out of Microsoft. This is not because of what MS is saying, but what everyone else _assumes_ that it will have after seeing it. The most common theme of this being: "This device can run any software Windows can run." I'm already seeing it by many members (and a few mod's) in this channel. :)

SheepFactory
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Heh, you had to rain on everyone's parade before I could. ;)

I myself find that I have to be very skeptical when I see announcements like these coming out of Microsoft. This is not because of what MS is saying, but what everyone else _assumes_ that it will have after seeing it. The most common theme of this being: "This device can run any software Windows can run." I'm already seeing it by many members (and a few mod's) in this channel. :)

And I find myself to be even more sceptical when you apple users come out of the woodwork everytime there is a MS thread and try to debunk all theories in it even though you dont have access to facts any more than the rest of us do.

Nice try but we have umbrellas ;)

ryders
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I have one of them HP tc4200's and it's cool as hell using alias sketchbook pro on it, but I was just yesterday saying... It'd be nice if this were about 1/3rd as heavy.

If the origami thing comes with a gig o memory and at least a 40gb drive it'll be just about perfect if it weights as much as it look like it weights... A pound.

RobertoOrtiz
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
As a tablet user, I can see great uses for a CHEAPER tablet.
I currently use Photoshop on it, and it is awesome.

-R

Saurus
02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I have one of them HP tc4200's and it's cool as hell using alias sketchbook pro on it, but I was just yesterday saying... It'd be nice if this were about 1/3rd as heavy.

If the origami thing comes with a gig o memory and at least a 40gb drive it'll be just about perfect if it weights as much as it look like it weights... A pound.

You should have gotten HP TC1100...it's super light...even lighter without a keyboard.

I see Origami as something that fits between a tablet PC and pda. My TC 12' screen size is perfect for my portability needs for doing light Maya and sketching. I would recommend my GF Origami for her schooling.

heavyness
02-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Why would they make such a professional video using an early prototype?

it's not uncommon for big companies like Microsoft, Apple, and other to make professional presentations for internal use only, some never see the light of day.

SheepFactory
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
You should have gotten HP TC1100...it's super light...even lighter without a keyboard.

I see Origami as something that fits between a tablet PC and pda. My TC 12' screen size is perfect for my portability needs for doing light Maya and sketching. I would recommend my GF Origami for her schooling.

That seems like a very nice tablet PC , how do you control maya without a keyboard? does it have programmable buttons on the side and a dual button pen?

FunkyCowie
02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm quite happy right now with my Dell AXIM X50v PDA with its 640x480 VGA Touch Screen, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, a few gigs of space, I can use it as a drawing tool, for writing, for watching movies (with readable subtitles if needed), listening to music, playing games... ok so it would be nice to have a bit bigger screen, and more space, and a decent OS that I could run Maya on or some other 3D app, and a faster processor, and a better GFX card, so yeah it would be nice to have a midway machine between a Laptop and a PDA...

But that MS Origami thing... just wouldn`t work for me I`d need something less chunky.

Saurus
02-28-2006, 07:13 PM
That seems like a very nice tablet PC , how do you control maya without a keyboard? does it have programmable buttons on the side and a dual button pen?

I use a USB numeric keyboard and keyboard programmable utility, but Iím having issue with Mayaís marking menu performance. I can only work with it for about half an hour before marking menu goes super slow. I donít know if itís a driver issue or a Maya/tablet PC issue because it only effect Mayaís marking menus. Until I solve this issue, I have to use a mouse/keyboard combo. Is somebody from Maya listening! Other than this issue, Iím a tablet PC booster!

djorzgul
02-28-2006, 07:28 PM
I think it has something with openGL... I supose you dont have some "high class" graphic card on your tabletPC...

SheepFactory
02-28-2006, 07:49 PM
It has a 32 mb gforce 440 go in it , not too shabby i used a dell laptop with a 64 mb gf card and it handled maya and xsi without any problem. Maybe you should install some different drivers and see if that takes care of the problem.

laureato di arte
02-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I use a USB numeric keyboard and keyboard programmable utility, but Iím having issue with Mayaís marking menu performance. I can only work with it for about half an hour before marking menu goes super slow. I donít know if itís a driver issue or a Maya/tablet PC issue because it only effect Mayaís marking menus. Until I solve this issue, I have to use a mouse/keyboard combo. Is somebody from Maya listening! Other than this issue, Iím a tablet PC booster!
yes the the compaq tablet pc, so nice so nice, im totally in love with mine best purchase of 2005 haev had it for a year and i aint bored of it. I must say it runs pretty slow at times. I try using the maya ple on it for practice sometimes and i seem to be able to run it well at times. THis new origami thing looks pretty cool in a whoa! new gadget kinda way, im thinking of all types of things that it would be able to do. However, allot of video game sites are saying this is microsofts answer to the ds, and psp, and ipod, it dosnt seem portable enough, im assuming you would have to carry it about in a bag, like what i do with me beloved tabby, so im thinking this gadgets fits into the catagory of a tablet pc, or maybe a palmtop. looks very very smooth though .

BigJay
03-01-2006, 01:38 AM
Why would they make such a professional video using an early prototype? I think microsoft has had this in the bag for a while and was holding out to spoil whatever it is apple is going to release tomorrow. The fact that the video was "leaked" is an attempt at viral marketing. But it's too pro to be a trial run for an early prototype. THe devices shown in the video looks like finished products.

If you watch the video you'll notice that at odd angles the screen is black, too much trouble to composite an image in I guess. When girl leaves the RV the screen is black and at a few other points as well. I think it is a concept. Microsoft has the money to do something this quality to see what people think of it. A good way to see what kind of market would go for it.

If it is at the right price point I'll get one

DevilHacker
03-01-2006, 01:41 AM
If you watch the video you'll notice that at odd angles the screen is black, too much trouble to composite an image in I guess. When girl leaves the RV the screen is black and at a few other points as well. I think it is a concept. Microsoft has the money to do something this quality to see what people think of it. A good way to see what kind of market would go for it.

If it is at the right price point I'll get oneYep. Microsoft said that the video was a concept, and the video was over a year old.
Also said they would say more on thursday...
so I guess we just have to wait...
:D

LetterRip
03-01-2006, 02:42 AM
I don't think screenshots are hardly ever live (due to videoframe and screen sycronization issues) are they? and very rarely do advertisments use the real product.

So that isn't really an indication either way.

LetterRip

mummey
03-01-2006, 05:12 AM
And I find myself to be even more sceptical when you apple users come out of the woodwork everytime there is a MS thread and try to debunk all theories in it even though you dont have access to facts any more than the rest of us do.

Nice try but we have umbrellas ;)

You mean like others do in the Apple threads? ;)

My point still stands, just because this is MS, doesn't mean this thing runs WinXP.

RobertoOrtiz
03-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Microsoft's Origami puzzle begins to unfold

Quote:
"The veil of mystery surrounding Microsoft's (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) secretive Origami portable device lifted just a little on Thursday after the firm updated the project's cryptic Web site, hinting that all would be revealed on March 9.
It may be coincidence, but March 9 is also the launch in Hannover of CeBit, the world's largest annual trade show for the information and telecommunications technology industry.
Information from Microsoft on Origami is sketchy to say the least. Industry reports predict it is the company's long-awaited offering hoping to take a bite out of rival Apple's (Nasdaq:AAPL - news) all-conquering i-Pod.

The only details released so far have been on the Microsoft registered website www.origamiproject.com (http://www.origamiproject.com), along with cryptic questions such as "who am I?," "do you know me?," "do you know what I can do?" and "wondering where to find me?" sending rumors flying round Internet Web sites and chatrooms."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060302/tc_nm/microsoft_origami_dc;_ylt=AlXQDtHIi_uees4htk34L2as0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

slaughters
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
...The only details released so far have been on the Microsoft registered website www.origamiproject.com (http://www.origamiproject.com), along with cryptic questions such as "who am I?," "do you know me?," "do you know what I can do?" and "wondering where to find me?" sending rumors flying round Internet Web sites and chatrooms."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060302/tc_nm/microsoft_origami_dc;_ylt=AlXQDtHIi_uees4htk34L2as0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-RYou mean -minus- the video showing the actual hand held device and everything it is capable of ? :)

tuna
03-02-2006, 04:36 PM
You mean -minus- the video showing the actual hand held device and everything it is capable of ? :)

Yes, -minus- the video that Microsoft came out and said was out of date and over a year old.

DrFx
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
So, a couple of weeks after trashing Nicholas Negroponte's OLPC, out comes Bill with an ultraportable, pen-based, low-powered PC! Hmm... :deal:

pixelmonk
03-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't care you everyone thinks, thats a nice piece of tech. I can't wait to they hack it and load up the linux kernel :D

yawn.. fan boy.

mummey
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Read the update: The thing supposedly _will_ be running WinXP.

laureato di arte
03-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Origami Project Not Portable Xbox
Microsoft isn't attacking Sony and Nintendo in another market.
by Patrick Klepek (http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=4767412), 03/02/2006 37 of 41 users recommend this story.
Many have been speculating whether Microsoft was reading to enter a new competitor into the handheld market when word leaked about their soon-to-be-announced Origami project. Apparently it's simply the first in a line of paperback-sized computers from Microsoft, a source close to Microsoft told the Associated Press (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060302/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_origami_2). It's not Microsoft's answer to the iPod (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148556#), nor does it mean the company's running up against Nintendo and Sony in another market. But what about that video showing someone playing Halo on the device? Some assumed the device would be capable of reading Xbox discs, but in actuality, it was simply running Halo on Windows XP.

There's plenty of more details about Origami we don't know about (including its final name), but rumor has it Microsoft will come clean a week from now on March 9th.

heavyness
03-03-2006, 04:35 AM
if that thing can run Halo 1 on WinXP, sign me up. thats enough power i need for a handheld to run apps like Photoshop and 3ds max. sure, might not be editing millions and million of polys, but some low poly work and simple animation would be great on the go.

plus music, movies, email, calender, etc...

paintbox
03-05-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but looks like a similar device.

ambient-whisper
03-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Wow, this thing looks really stupid. All those "scenarios" are completely unrealistic, and make it seem like lugging that brick around is hip. These types of devices are only for tech-nerds who only want to put emulators/hack them. Can you really imagine yourself doing all those "productive" things during your daily life?

What a waste of money.

one of those senarios is actually something that a lot of photographers are exploring currently. many of them will bring along laptops with them so they can view their photos in real time, on a bigger screen, rather than on their 2" screen. having this device ( which is obviousely smaller than a 15" laptop and a 12" incher, it would be a perfect device for photography.

its smaller than a tablet pc too, meaning that for production people it could be good for notes taking, and organizing things in one go. instead of make notes on paper only to have to copy that data over again onto the pc.

i can definitely see uses for it. but it does definitely still seem somewhat bulky for what it is.needs to be thinner still. would be cool if it had like 1 or 2 compact flash memory compartments, because flash memory is getting sooo cheap lately.

rayk
03-06-2006, 04:20 AM
If this thing has pressure sensativity then I'm definetly getting one - digital sketch book on the go - HELL YES!

Hope the price isn't too high T__T

Vashner
03-06-2006, 10:27 PM
All the CE 5.0 (Mobile 5.0) have those features. I bet it's not XP and CE 5.0, which has directX etc. Gates tried to push tablet before but people want laptop? Why .. we are not billionares that can affored to get a tablet all scratched up drop or broken from the various flying cat's, dogs and children dripping snot.

It looks like just a beefy PDA to me. I got burned buying Phillips Nino cause it was CE 2.0 and it blew.

Layer01
03-07-2006, 04:01 AM
There's plenty of more details about Origami we don't know about (including its final name), but rumor has it Microsoft will come clean a week from now on March 9th.

hmm thats in two days, i hope they do talk about it soon, as i'm keen to find out more. but battery life would be a concern for me. if it were to replace an mp3 player, i'd want it to have a long life, so i can listen to music AND then use it for other stuff, not one or the other...anyway we'll soon see.

all you people saying how big it is have obviously forgotten the size of the first PDA's and even the first Ipod.

Saurus
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM
New pics:

I thought I would have no need for this gadget considering I'm a happy owner of a tablet PC. I live in Vancouver and I do a bit of hiking and mountain climbing and Origamiís GPS feature interests me...plus I can draw on it!!!

(http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/08/samsungorigami/index.php)http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/001587.html

paintbox
03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Here is a more in-depth / hands-on report of the Origami :

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/08/hands-on-with-the-samsung-q1-origami/

SanjayChand
03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
battery.life.

kaiser_pro
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
it turns out that the box has nothing really to do with what origami will look like

all it is, is a gui scema to improve the next version of windows mobile.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/08/origami_umpc_clunker/

as is says there, we have been taken in by the pijama pundits. one more reason to dispel the myth that blogs are the way forward when it comes to news reporting.(this is what happens when we all swallow the marketing hype, without question, we should know better really by now)

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, and this is bad why?

The key is what software is custom made for it (my tablet PC has a ton of software only for it) and how much it costs.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
NEW VIDEO!

http://umpc.com/video.aspx (http://umpc.com/video.aspx)

-R

swardson
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
ok that new video impresses me VERY highly.

I was thinking the first one was way to clunky and big, but knew that they would probably have a redesign before going commercial. That new design friggen rocks. I wonder what the cost will be, and I second Roberto on what software will be solely built for it?

Good job so far microsoft, now - hit this one out of the park and you will have my money.

-Brad

ThomasMahler
03-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Well...

Seeing is believing.

DrFx
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Am I the only one thinking.... UGLEEE!?!?

I liked the design in the concept video better, though big. I also liked the "lady" and the "napster" from this last Intel video. But those new ones from Asus and Samsung suck like a vacuum cleaner on overdrive! :argh::banghead::cry:

womanonfire
03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes, BUT
I think what we're all wondering is...
PRESSURE SENSITIVITY????
can we draw on it?can we? huh? huh? Huh?
:)

havokzprodigy
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I can't beleive some peoples reaction to this thing on other sites.

If you don't like it and it's something your not interested in, don't worry about it.

Some people are acting like Bill Gates smacked there mom across the head with this thing during the press conferance.

heavyness
03-09-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx

official site. looks like different models done by different companies. i'm going to walk around and see if i can find one... :)

paintbox
03-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes, BUT
I think what we're all wondering is...
PRESSURE SENSITIVITY????
can we draw on it?can we? huh? huh? Huh?

Allthough overkill, you could always stick in a volito/graphire with the USB. But it would be better if it was inbuilt ofcourse. Maybe different models have different capabilities.

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
HANOVER, Germany - Microsoft Corp. finally took the wraps off its mysterious Project Origami on Thursday, unveiling a computer that's about the size of a large paperback book but runs a full version of the Windows XP operating system. The ultracompact, wireless-enabled PC is everything a full computer or laptop is, minus the keyboard. Weighing about 2 1/2 pounds, the 1-inch thick device sports a 7-inch touch-sensitive screen that responds to a stylus or the tap of a finger.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/business/microsoft (http://news.yahoo.com/fc/business/microsoft) (click for photos)

Quote:
"Under the covers of the first generation of Origami devices is a full version of the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition operating system. On top of this is a layer of software known as "Windows Touch Pack," which will ship with the ultra-mobile hardware. The Touch Pack optimizes the Tablet operating system for the ultra-mobile form factor, by adding the finger, stylus or QWERTY keyboard input options.
All Origami systems will include built-in text and digital-ink instant-messaging software, as well as Microsoft Sudoku, a game developed by Microsoft.
Origami models based on the VIA processor will debut from TabletKiosk and PaceBlade Japan in the second quarter of 2006, according to Microsoft.
Microsoft is expecting the first Windows Vista-based generation of Origami systems to debut at the same time as Vista ships, which is expected to be fall 2006. Over time, Microsoft is anticipating its hardware partners will be able to sell for $500 per unit, company officials said.
"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060309/tc_zd/173083 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060309/tc_zd/173083)

womanonfire
03-09-2006, 06:11 PM
well i don't know about you, but if theres no pressure sensitive wacom type tech built in to this thing it is completely useless to me. the only way i could see it fitting into my life is as a portable digital sketchbook.... which would be sweet.
i also think that 1000$ would be waaay overpriced. i'm hoping companies stick to the $600-or less- range.

RobertoOrtiz
03-09-2006, 06:16 PM
From Microsoft.com

"The Ultra-Mobile PC
Go everywhere
The Ultra-Mobile PC is portable, lightweight, and configured to connect on the go. Itís the device that youíll always want with you.

Do everything
Featuring full Microsoft Windows XP functionality and the ability to touch, write, or type, the Ultra-Mobile PC is a powerful companion that lets you communicate, accomplish your tasks, and stay entertained and informed wherever life takes you."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx)

http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=169962 (http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=169962) (video)

Saurus
03-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I find it amazing they where able to keep this gadget secret consider the number of vendors involved in this project.

dan1el
03-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Hmm...I wonder if I can attach as bigger HD and install linux on the little sucker...
Perhaps install it in my car using it's screen as a replacement of my cars' 7" screen

t1t4
03-10-2006, 10:21 PM
So I have a Sony Vio U71 which seems like it is basically the same thing as these other UMPCs 6.57(W) x 4.25 (L) x 1.03 (H) [inch].

http://dynamism.com/u50/main.shtml

I have had it for about a year and I love it. I run 3d Max, Photoshop, AFX and lots of other stuff on it with out any problems. It's running XP pro, not tablet. 800x600 and very easy to use in full sun light. 1.1ghz Pentium M, 512 meg of ram, 30 gig HD, CF card slot and one USB2 slot that can power devices also. Seems pretty much the specs I am seeing for the origami.

I can do just about anything I want with no more problems than my desktop or laptop until I load a heavy file then it gets slow but so would a desktop or laptop with the same specs. So yeah, It's not great for working on very heavy stuff in 3d or 2d but light-med loads seem fine and runs anything an XP windows system runs (I hear you can put Linux on it also if you like that better). I have used it as a slave on my home render farm to render almost every boring3d image over the last year and it works great even on my heavier files (not that boring3d ever gets very insane -;). I have even created and rendered 3 or 4 boring3d images entirely on it and uploaded them to my site.

It is great for travel. I can store and edit my digital pics on it. I stitched all the panaramics I have taken on trips with it. I have bought airplane tickets while stuck in a London airport with the wifi connection and saved $100 on the price the ticket counter wanted to charge for the ticket. I surf the web with in explorer or firefox. I play starcraft and UT2004 on it. UT is just playable but what do you expect from such a small computer?

A down side is the screen is only touch sensitive not pressure sensitive. There is also the OQO which has been out as long and has a pressure sensitive tablet and is even a bit smaller with almost the same specs but it only had USB1, a little slower proc and half the ram at the time so I went with the Sony.

I love my little Sony and never travel without it. I don't carry it around town all the time but when I need a map or to plug in my USB gps to find something I throw it in my messenger bag and off I go. I did pay a bit much for it, $2500, but I have always wanted a full PC to carry around that wouldn't break my back so I got it.

Any way I believe Origami or any UMPC should be more than capable of such feats also seeing how the computer I have has been out for almost 2 years. Oh, and it doesn't fit in any regular sized pocket or at least not if you don't want to look very funny with a big bulge in your pants but it isn't supposed to be an iPod. It's a computer, a small and very useful computer. At less than $1000 it is probably worth it. At less than $500 it would be a steal. It would be great if the Origami/UMPCs had pressure sensitive screens. If so I might think about replacing my Sony.

paintbox
03-10-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.origamiportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=19

Here is a run down of the video posted in an other thread, other than this one.

Expect 1Ghz
Plugs into normal monitor.
Has 2x USB (on this particular model)
DirectX 7/8.
expected price-range is $599-999.

Nemoid
03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
from video seems to me a great product. i can agree about the screen that should have pressure... and also a bit about the digital paper but i also think the target is not mainly 2D or 3D artist so, if well priced could have a massive diffusion.
For a real massive diffusion price tag shouldn't be more than 500 USD it would be a very expensive product even considering its a portable PC.

paintbox
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I hope the price to be around 400-500 euro's , that would be the price I would want to pay for such a device. Basically half the price a cheap laptop would cost.

Its a new device, perhaps price could drop after launch.

AmbiDextrose
03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
If these devices gain a foothold I think that in one or two years thay will be almost as powerful as state-of-the-art notebooks with multi-core CPUs and multi-gigabyte memory footprints. In the future, I wish there was a slightly larger form-factor with a 5"x7" or 6"x8" Wacom-enabled screen. Now THAT would be THE digital sketchbook I've been dreaming of for a long time.

heavyness
03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
If these devices gain a foothold I think that in one or two years thay will be almost as powerful as state-of-the-art notebooks with multi-core CPUs and multi-gigabyte memory footprints. In the future, I wish there was a slightly larger form-factor with a 5"x7" or 6"x8" Wacom-enabled screen. Now THAT would be THE digital sketchbook I've been dreaming of for a long time.

i agree. there not going to make 20 different versions of this right out of the box. but if they do catch on, i'm sure we'll see more specialized versions for different users.

6foot5
03-10-2006, 11:52 PM
something that size will never take off, anyone remember the Lynx?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/modena/lynx.jpg

no, niether do I.

AmbiDextrose
03-11-2006, 01:19 AM
something that size will never take off, anyone remember the Lynx?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/modena/lynx.jpg

no, niether do I.

What do you mean? Haven't you seen the GB, GBA, and PSP? The reason the Lynx tanked was it was that the original GB beat it to market (1989) and had a lot of playable games. Another factor was that the original GB had better power management. But the Lynx was actually more advanced than the GB, supporting 4096 colors and alowed the player to link with another unit.

6foot5
03-11-2006, 03:01 AM
so notwithstanding its technical advantages it still dissapeared?

ill wager that the fact it was substantialy bigger than a gameboy contributed to its demise.

I admit the Lynx was a somewhat facetious case in point, however these days we are used to much more slimline devices ...im sorry but i think its just too bulky, and moreover i just dont think enough peoples lifestyle requires it.

AmbiDextrose
03-11-2006, 03:41 AM

ill wager that the fact it was substantialy bigger than a gameboy contributed to its demise.

The Lynx died because of lousy battery life and software support.

I admit the Lynx was a somewhat facetious case in point, however these days we are used to much more slimline devices ...im sorry but i think its just too bulky, and moreover i just dont think enough peoples lifestyle requires it.

Who is this "we" you're talking about? You can be sure I'm not in that demographic you speak of.

Are you holding out for when Star Trek-style PADDs start appearing? And of course it's bulky! It's a G1 product, after all. Remember the first cellphones, laptops, even GameBoys? But 'bulky' is still a very subjective term.

I would definiely like for this concept to flourish! It has great potential, especially for artists, if the correct specs are put forth.

innermindseye
03-11-2006, 12:22 PM

who cares what you think. you very obviously are never doing anything important enough on a computer to have it with you. neither can most people who actually have a problem with this.

someone is actually trying to make it possible for you to have the power of your desktop pc, but on the go. and you a%%faces actually have something bad to say about this????? if its too expensive, dont buy it. If you cant afford it, its not for you.

'I' on the other hand, am salivating at the possibility of being able to do some 3d modelling on the train to work, check my email at break (because they block our internet for security reasons at work) and basically have an all in one device that does so many things, i cant really think where to start. The main feature is fully browsable internet with plug ins. The internet is such an amzingly useful tool these days, that its rather indispensable. I would love the abolity to have its knowledge base at the touch of my fingertips whenever i need it.

And 3d!! 2d my friends! i have long awaited a device that could do 3d modelling on the move. and here we have it...i think i am soon to wet myself....

and about the atari lynx!! tha was a brilliant console, that was TOO EXPENSIVE.... not too big,?!! what a lame reason. everybody wanted one, are you kidding me? there was nothing like that around at the time, and every normal kid i knewspazzed out when they saw one. we just couldnt afford them on pur penny sweets pocket money and there werent reealy enough games.... ;)

AmbiDextrose
03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Being able to do 3D modeling on one of these would be swell although the device would probably need a larger screen (say 9" or 10") and higher resolution (just my opinion) although some people have been editing CAD files on thier PocetPC for a while now. How they keep the weight, temperature, and power consumption down will be some of the technical challenges they'll have to address. I'll definitely keep an eye on the developments for this platform.

P.S. Oh, and Wacom-style tablet functionality with the pen :).

amfantasy
03-11-2006, 03:49 PM
lynx is a gaming system why are we comparing it to this. From what I saw in the commercial it looks more like a mini lap top.

6foot5
03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
just expressing an opion.

nevermind

tufif
03-11-2006, 05:35 PM
No one does 3d on trains, they read books, listen to music or stare out the window.
A handful of decades ago, nobody listened to music on trains, they read books or stared out the window. Society changes as technology makes new things possible.

6foot5
03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
perhaps, but working in a 3d package is much more intensive, reading and listening to music is quite a passive activity and ideally suited to passing the time on journeys.

innermindseye
03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
perhaps, but working in a 3d package is much more intensive, reading and listening to music is quite a passive activity and ideally suited to passing the time on journeys.

yea but its not just on journeys that youd use this. maybe on your lunch break at work. maybe for when your on holiday. or popping round to friends or families. liasoning with clients etc...

sometimes weve got busy schedules and need to do the 3d on the fly. or even for hobbyists wanting a job in 3d. they can work another job and use the tablet while their travelling. i used to do over 4 hrs a day, 2 hrs each way to EA for a testing job. It would have been great if i could have done 3d towards my portfolio for a 3d job, because i had no time at all when i got home in the evening.

its a CONVENIENCE tool :)

cache
03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
all that i know is that it will be nice to show other people our 2d/3d stuff without carrying a laptop - or without having to use magnifying glasses to see pics/anims (with sound, yee) with the help of these ultraportalbe pc-s..

anyone got info on the processor/memory/vid-card/hdd capacity of this little thing ?
and if it supports pendrive/memorysticks etc ?

AmbiDextrose
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM

What are you talking about? I own a Toshiba M4 tablet loaded with Softimage|XSI, Rhino3D, Silo, OpenCanvas, and VC++. What do you think I used to do during the hour-long train ride between home in NJ and Manhattan, NY?

Infact, I've seen a number of people riding the (NY) subways doodling and sketching on a tablet PC. Something like this would really benefit people like me and them.

RobertoOrtiz
03-12-2006, 01:55 AM
What are you talking about? I own a Toshiba M4 tablet loaded with Softimage|XSI, Rhino3D, Silo, OpenCanvas, and VC++. What do you think I used to do during the hour-long train ride between home in NJ and Manhattan, NY?

Infact, I've seen a number of people riding the (NY) subways doodling and sketching on a tablet PC. Something like this would really benefit people like me and them.

Most of my illustration work in the past two years I have done it with a Tablet PC.
I use on it, Lightwave, Premiere, Blender and Photoshop with no problems.

-R

6foot5
03-12-2006, 07:01 AM
ok, in the light of your testomonies i'll concede that people do use heavy weight apps on the go, but it does beg the question: if you are already doing this on your tablets and notebooks what would be the need for this device???

Annuostivix
03-12-2006, 07:09 AM
This would be useful for students seeing as it would be fine for word processing if the model chosen had a clamshell form with a decent keyboard rather than thumbpad. Photographers could use it in some cases, but not always. I wouldn't use it for photo trips, I'd use a small sony viao (sp) instead I think, if anything. As a personal entertainment system I think the device is reasonably sized but battery life would maybe be an issue and screen size could be too. 800 x 600 is very low resolution to be using art applications in. Tool bars would take up 40% of the screen, or something close to that. You'd be better off to work in expert modes, which a lot of us here do, but most consumers aren't aware of keyboard shortcuts beyond control Z, C, and V.

So my conclusion is that it's a good idea for microsoft to get into this now to develop a familiar place in the market. But it probably won't take off for a while to come, in my opinion. Like four or five years before people start adopting this commonly, sort of like with iPod.

6foot5
03-12-2006, 07:31 AM
i think the key difference between origami and the ipod is one of perception, the ipod, like the origami, is hardly revolutionary(a portable music player) but was considered 'cool' , thanks in no small way to its design and the fact it was made by fashionistas favourite manufacturer, Apple.

Microsoft just dosnt have the same cachet with the hipsters. Even if the origami does address a market need i just dont see it becoming the integral lifestyle accessory that is suggested in the video.

paintbox
03-12-2006, 09:25 AM
This would be useful for students seeing as it would be fine for word processing if the model chosen had a clamshell form with a decent keyboard rather than thumbpad.

I did see a model with a keyboard, the back rotated to reveal a keyboard. I believe it was the Intel Model.

AmbiDextrose
03-12-2006, 12:30 PM
ok, in the light of your testomonies i'll concede that people do use heavy weight apps on the go, but it does beg the question: if you are already doing this on your tablets and notebooks what would be the need for this device???

For me, it's the weight and the form-factor: 2lbs vs. 6.7lbs.

RobertoOrtiz
03-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I think what is TRULLY the biggest selling point is native BlueTooth connectivity.

The fact that devices that use BlueTooth, like TV Applicances, GPS recievers, etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTooth
-R

LoTekK
03-12-2006, 04:52 PM
The lack of pressure sensitivity in the first round of product is a bit of a deal breaker as far as decent sketching goes, though. The rest of it looks very attractive, though.

dan1el
03-13-2006, 06:58 AM
I think if Apple had designed this gadget..and used OSX "portable" then it could easily have become the new fab....but when it's M$ it is probably going to be as hugh a success as the Windows based mobilephones.... seriously, it's not a good design at all.

As I stated before, If I buy such a thing I need a bigger HD and Linux on it...and then I would probably remove the casing and install it in my car instead.

It seems so unecessary in the world of gadgets

RobertoOrtiz
03-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Here is the thing.

By having a Personal computer that is 1/2 the size , 1/2 the price
of a current laptop, with a touchscreen and bluetooth functionality they
have opened new markets.

By supporting native windows xp on it, it means that a ton of aps will be able to run on it.

I mean imagine trying ot use a current laptop on the dashboard of your car.

Not only that, imagine if you natively, could control all your household appliances, from your computer (thanks to bluetooth)

As a developer I see a lot of uses I could sell to my clients with this hardware.

-R

LoTekK
03-13-2006, 07:34 AM
As I stated before, If I buy such a thing I need a bigger HD and Linux on it
Yes, but being that the target seems to be the casual consumer market, how many people do you think are going to be completely intimidated if the thing runs linux?

edit: Besides. It's a HDD-based system. You can install linux yourself.

To me, I think it looks like a nifty machine, and I'd like to see where they take it for gen2 (because remember, folks, this is essentially G1 stuff). Most important to me would be actual pressure sensitivity.

paintbox
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Let's see, what kind of specific devices there are that this one could combine :

- navigator (i.e. TomTom)
- MP3 player (i.e. Ipod -let's neglect the portability for a sec, and look at the possibility)
- mobile photoviewer (storing and displaying photo's of a dSLR)
- device for playing games (i.e. PSP, Nintendo DS)

This device could probably do all this, plus have the option to plug-in a keyboard and a monitor, to become a complete PC (even though for the more simple editing stuff for us CG-ers)

It will cost a lot of money to buy all these devices, and this kind of device can do it all.

People are mentioning its a Microsoft product while it is not. It's a platform developed by many manufactures (Intel, Asus, Samsung, and that's only what we've seen sofar) Microsoft did initiate it (and obviously spends a lot on promotion). Thats what I gathered from watching the video.

I just don't think this device is such a bad idea ... for a change :)

innermindseye
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I think if Apple had designed this gadget..and used OSX "portable" then it could easily have become the new fab....but when it's M$ it is probably going to be as hugh a success as the Windows based mobilephones.... seriously, it's not a good design at all.

As I stated before, If I buy such a thing I need a bigger HD and Linux on it...and then I would probably remove the casing and install it in my car instead.

It seems so unecessary in the world of gadgets

u think just because you say 'seriously' that it adds any merit to your point?? I cant respect what your saying. you think that because this uses windows XP instead of OSX, that it makes it a lame or bad designed product? That is not a reason. that just makes you a fan-boy....

fanboy fanboy fanboy.....

Szos
04-15-2006, 02:57 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE on this Origani Platform:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060414-6605.html

http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/samsungtablet.jpg

Ready for the price?

$1200 (atleast for the European version)
I personally think its a cool concept that will fail miserably in the marketplace and in real-life use.

Too big, yet not big enough. Too small, yet not small enough. Too Expensive, yet not powerful enough. Convenient, yet not prractical enough.

Peddy
04-15-2006, 04:14 AM
im more than a little skeptical. that movie was far too commercial for my liking :scream:

alejandro_m1
04-15-2006, 04:34 AM
Starting price $1200? :eek: Thatīs waaaay too expensive, I was waiting for this gadget to come out at the price the speculations were ($500-$700) but this is too much money, for that I would go for a small laptop... Hope generation 2 to be cheaper.

paintbox
04-15-2006, 09:30 AM
I truly hope for them this is the "early adaptor price" and it will slide down to the $500-$600 mark in a couple of months.

Too expensive...I'd rather go for a (mini)laptop at this price. I think many will feel the same.

Szos
04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I truly hope for them this is the "early adaptor price" and it will slide down to the $500-$600 mark in a couple of months.

I wouldn't necissarily count on prices dropping dramatically - after all this device seems to have many similiar (or same) components as a laptop (would need RAM, HD, decent processor and a touch-screen). So I wouldn't expect this thing to ever really be much cheaper than a decent laptop... and like you mentioned, my guess is that most people would opt for a conventional laptop versus an unknown device.

paintbox
04-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't necissarily count on prices dropping dramatically - after all this device seems to have many similiar (or same) components as a laptop (would need RAM, HD, decent processor and a touch-screen). So I wouldn't expect this thing to ever really be much cheaper than a decent laptop... and like you mentioned, my guess is that most people would opt for a conventional laptop versus an unknown device.

I agree. But if they stick to this price it will fail.

Which is shame, because there is room for a device like this. Something that does more than a PSP, DS or GPS/Navigator like device, yet still portable. A device that has quite a bit of computing power, yet not as powerful as a laptop. The only price range it could fit is the $500-$800 mark tops. After that laptops become far more cost-effective.

RobertoOrtiz
04-16-2006, 10:12 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$1200 (atleast for the European version)
I personally think its a cool concept that will fail miserably in the marketplace and in real-life use.

Too big, yet not big enough. Too small, yet not small enough. Too Expensive, yet not powerful enough. Convenient, yet not prractical enough.

Uh I did some research...
the price is
£799.99

Maybe you posted the top of the line model

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=923292&p=298&g=383&pa=gencs

-R

secretasianman
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
roberto that is still close to a thousand bucks, if you add tax it will be over a thousand.

the question is, is it worth that much of a pricetag?

RobertoOrtiz
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
My take is that is the early adopter price.

-R

-Vormav-
04-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Even if it does cost $1200 over here... I still want one. :blush:

innermindseye
04-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Even if it does cost $1200 over here... I still want one. :blush:

im pretty sure that 1200 dollars is 800 pounds. and if its not i think there would be a small difference. not sure why roberto posted it like thats cheap. i thought they were gonna be 500- 700 pounds.

Saurus
04-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Here's one by averatec.

link (http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12160)

http://www.brighthand.com/assets/4771.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
04-17-2006, 03:16 AM
People put down the torches, I cannot run to the windmill as fast as I could in the past.

forgot the conversion rate between pounds and dollars.

-R

DevilHacker
04-17-2006, 03:17 AM
im pretty sure that 1200 dollars is 800 pounds. and if its not i think there would be a small difference. not sure why roberto posted it like thats cheap. i thought they were gonna be 500- 700 pounds.dont worry samsung said that they will be selling models that cheep by the end of the year...
:thumbsup:

talos72
04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Best thing to do is let other people (the big gadget freaks) buy the first gen ones at inflated prices. That way they can beta test this product for the rest of us! :) After about a year or so in the market, then maybe we can have a better picture of what this puppy can handle. Even at a cool $1000 it is a tad overpriced considering for about the same price you can buy a full-on laptop (even a smaller one).

Sorry, but portability and form-function in this case would not justify the price unless it is competitively priced (maybe a bit higher than a PDA). Otherwise, MS and the developers could have turkey on their hands: a luxury toy that some may want but most can not afford. This picture would be a far cry from what Gates may envision: one of this UMPC's in every teenager's hand.

heavyness
04-18-2006, 01:21 AM
to expensive for some? sure, but all new tech is when it first comes out. like others said, it will drop.

and i do think there is a market for this. i don't know anyone my age who has a PDA. even at work, i don't see PDAs in meeting. PDAs are being put out by cel phones. in comes these origami shaped machine and it gaps the product void between pcs and cel phones. powerful enough to run full programs on [not pda crippled apps] but small enough to take notes on and carry around at conventions and such.

EpShot
04-18-2006, 01:58 AM
how expensive are all those first gen HD tv's?

Szos
04-18-2006, 03:18 AM
Uh I did some research...
the price is
£799.99

Maybe you posted the top of the line model

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=923292&p=298&g=383&pa=gencs

-R

???
The one you posted is even more expensive (800 pnds converts to about $1400 USD).

I love the idea of this kind of device, but $1400 is a lot of money to drop on something that probably don't be as useful as a true laptop (atleast not as useful in the things that most people are looking to get done with a computer).

This is definitly more of a look-one-up-on-ebay-in-12-months kind of thing to see how much they are going for used.

RobertoOrtiz
04-18-2006, 03:47 AM
Put the torch down....

-R

Saurus
06-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Looking GooD!

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/06/averatec_ahi_new.jpg

"Remember Averatec's sweet AHI UMPC (http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/13/averatecs-ahi-umpc-concept-device/) concept from a couple months back? Well, they gave us the latest iteration of the device as it's been moving forward, as well as some details -- and we have to say, this is the first UMPC (http://www.engadget.com/search/?q=umpc) we've genuinely been able to get excited about. The sub 2-pounder will supposedly be somehow optimized for VoIP, videoconferencing, viewing live TV and VOD, and apparently even gaming (we're hoping they mean light gaming -- no CrossFire (http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/06/ati-announces-crossfire-physics-platform/) going on up in here). It's also supposed to have voice recognition systems (presumably for use with GPS guidance and the like), a docking station, and is set to be priced under $800 for Q4 2006 launch. So basically it sounds like they're making a bunch of stuff up to get us excited, because we're having a hard time believing they're going to meet these goals. Then again, with capabilities so tantalizing and a price that low, we're a little tempted to turn a blind eye and hope for the best."

LINK (http://www.engadget.com,%20www.engadget.com/2006/06/07/averatecs-ahi-umpc-takes-shape/)

wailssss
06-17-2006, 11:41 AM
:bounce: you are very cool !:applause:

innerminds-i
06-17-2006, 03:39 PM
hello :)

first post!! :D

wow, this thing looks toocool. i cant wait. i better start saving. would be great if they could break down the specs abit more for us. and maybe a more reliable release date, but other than that im still sitting pretty here :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2006, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.