PDA

View Full Version : STEALTH ADS: Virtual product placement era begins on TV shows

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Quote:
"A breakthrough in television advertising debuted without fanfare last spring as a brand-name box of crackers appeared on the CBS sitcom "Yes, Dear" for about 20 seconds, seen but hardly noticed by millions of viewers.
Unbeknownst to them, the image of Kellogg's Club Crackers had been digitally painted onto the top of a coffee table after the scene was filmed, launching the latest advance in a growing marketing practice known in the industry as product placement but derided by critics as "stealth advertising.""

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060226/tc_nm/bizfeature_digital_advertising_dc;_ylt=Av64NqDdCViEDM7z8o85cJ6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

EdHarriss
02-27-2006, 06:33 PM
- Reminds me of a movie I saw last week... Firewall.
- If I had to guess, that movie seemed like it was sponsored by Microsoft and Equifax.

paul.yan
02-27-2006, 08:26 PM
"Breakthrough in television advertising?" It just sounds to me like a sponsor's last minute bid to be included in an episode already shot. Big deal. They should just have a few blue screened boxes lying around so advertisers can comp in their brands if they haven't already made a deal with the producers before shooting.

talos72
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Oooh, can't wait for the day where Clark yells "They're Grrreat!...." as he pours a bowl of Frosted Flakes and high-fives Tony the tiger in a Smallville episode. Anyone else notice every computer you see in Smallville episodes (especially the ones in the Daily Planet) is either an Alienware or a Dell (you can spot the Dell logo a mile away)?

enygma
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Can't forget about the placement of Apple products and Ford vehicles in 24.

itsallgoode9
02-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I always wonder if advertising like this actually does anything for the company. Kinda reminds me of the subliminal advertising tests that've been done... I thought they were said to do nothing to sway a consumers mind :shrug:

If you ever saw the movie "The Recruit" it has some Maya advertising in the beginning, which I thought was pretty cool :)

RobertoOrtiz
02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
The logical next step for this technology is for your tv to decide for you what kind of products would be used on a specific tv show.

Imagine in a episode of SEINFELD Elaine and Jerry in bring in a bag of carry out from a fastfood restaurant.
While they talk about the latest nutty plan from Kramer they start eating their burgers.

Taking this technology to the next step I can see a future where,

In the East coast the bag could be from BURGER KING, in the West Coast
the bag would be from "CARL'S JR".

Hell you could even pick a brand depending on the hosehold income ifthe family watchign the show.

In a poor neighborhood the bag would be from MCDONALDS and in a middle class household the bag would be from "GOURMET Grill".

Same episode on ALL household, different brands.

-R

erilaz
02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Can't forget about the placement of Apple products and Ford vehicles in 24.

Apple products have been huge in most TV series for years. Even Seinfeld has a mac classic sitting in the background of his living room (or was it an LE? I can't remember!)

ntmonkey
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
So when can I click on the boxes to take me to the vendor's site like Google ads? :D

peace,

Lu

erilaz
02-27-2006, 11:40 PM
So when can I click on the boxes to take me to the vendor's site like Google ads? :D

peace,

Lu

I guess in real terms that isn't so far-fetched. Interactive and internet TV is slowly on the rise.

paul.yan
02-27-2006, 11:52 PM
The logical next step for this technology is for your tv to decide for you what kind of products would be used on a specific tv show.

Now that would be "breakthrough"! Contextual, regionalized, personalized! Google has proven that ads don't have to be annoying so long as they are relevant. If crafted right, ads placed smart and subtley could be good news for everyone.

Daniel-B
02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
A couple of years ago, I did a report on this kind of thing, but a little different.

Example. Imagine at point 10-15 years from now where TV is interactive and connectable to the internet. Alright, say an actor or actress walks in wearing a nice leather jacket. You think to yourself, "WOW, I'd love to have that jacket." Simply pause the show, and click on the jacket, and it takes you to an online store where you could purchase it.

Maybe far-fetched now, but in the future, I can see companies doing things like this for advertising and marketing.

SirRon
02-28-2006, 04:38 AM
Example. Imagine at point 10-15 years from now where TV is interactive and connectable to the internet. Alright, say an actor or actress walks in wearing a nice leather jacket. You think to yourself, "WOW, I'd love to have that jacket." Simply pause the show, and click on the jacket, and it takes you to an online store where you could purchase it.

Wow, that would be interesting.

I was kinda thinking in the lines of what WB does to promote music. At the end of the show they show what music they played. In the future, at the end of the show after watching it on your digital recorder (like TiVo) there's the option to see "products used in show." Because everyone who records their shows fast forward through the commercials.

Oh crap... we're going to have to start watching shows that are part commercials. Kind of like those websites that put advertising links to certain words.

There was one episode of Smallville (http://thewb.warnerbros.com/web/show.jsp?id=SM) where they had this "Angel (http://www.tv.com/angel/show/12/summary.html) of Vengence" fighting (http://www.centuryfitness.com/) criminals (http://www.criminaljustice-degrees.com/) while wearing Acuvue (www.acuvue.com) contacts at night and works (www.monster.com) as a journalist (http://www.journalism.org/) by day.

Oh brother....

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 04:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.