PDA

View Full Version : Meet FLIP...

AJ
03-04-2002, 03:30 AM
This is FLIP. Just a little "3D doodle" that I was messing around with today. Wanted a simple character to animate in Max (never properly gotten round to learning IK - so he will be my guinea pig) and also for fiddling with Vray.

Design for FLIP is heavily inspired by the movie "Batteries Not Included" - but only from what I remember of the little bots in it (been about 10 yrs since I've seen it). Needless to say his little legs will pop out from the sides to lift him up (like the guys in BNI).

Will have a test anim up by 2moro...

:D

JuRrAsStOiL
03-04-2002, 03:50 AM
looks kinda great, reminds me of the little robot from
the movie flubber :) ... but i can't remember his/her name :o

Fetus23
03-04-2002, 03:59 AM
Batteries Not Included is a fantastic movie!!....you should make a whole fleet of thoses things!! bring BNI back to life :)!!! The model looks good....more small details like that antenna might do wonders.

Flynn
03-04-2002, 04:06 AM
to cool kind of reminds me of VINcent from The Black Hole

very very cool man

Raul-Reznek
03-04-2002, 05:39 PM
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Looks so REAL!!!

Very good, I like it a lot.

AJ
03-05-2002, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - Much appreciated!

This little guy does remind me of a lot of bots out there now you mention it (although I've not seen Flubber - but mainly because Robin Williams makes me want to cut open my head and put knives in my brain...), like they always say - there's nothing original anymore.

Oh well,

Sadly - I can't up the animation tests anywhere (as of yet), so I'll look for some storage space and hopefully by that time I'll have a lot more done (including the model! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, here's Flip just getting into 'trundle' mode. The "wheels" are his feet on sideways (how they're going to come out of the body) and they're attached to the bottom half of the leg poking out (which are not how the final ones should look - I hope).

Once again, C&C welcome!! :D

xynaria
03-05-2002, 04:49 AM
Very nice very cute ... BUT!!!!!!!!

WHERE IS THE FATMAN???????????

WE WANT THE ANIM WE WANT THE ANIM WE WANT THE ANIM!!!!!!!!!

:p

SheepFactory
03-05-2002, 05:13 AM
this is an awesome render! ,

i love the model , good job

A|i

machuc
03-05-2002, 05:27 AM
very nice man :)

great design, keep us posted with the animation!!!

ciao.

NukleoN
03-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Cute! Simple but very well done..love the iris-opening type eyes as well. Cool design.

NukleoN

AJ
03-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, :D

Will have the legs (properly) modelled up tonight - got to put in all the ball-joints/servo's.

There's a couple of things that I need help with:

Firstly, does anyone know of a good resource for mechanical/servo type noises/samples?

And Secondly, does anyone know of a some good storage space for uploading animations to? I've got Netfirms at the moment, but it doesn't allow files of over 256k to be linked (they're 300k at the mo!! :mad: :( )

Cheers!

LichiMan
03-05-2002, 05:00 PM
WOW!! COOL!! :D
I can't wait to the legs :D
I have my web on www.tripod.com and It allow 1 Mb files.
I hope It help you.

AJ
03-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Little update...

Got the rest of his legs modelled. Not 100% happy with the scale of them as it is... might scale them down to keep him "cute". But this is pretty much what he's gonna look like after they're popped out and he pads around. :)

C&C needed!

(I can't believe how much artwork gets put up in these galleries!! Like a whole new page of replies and images in a couple of hours!!)

AJ
03-06-2002, 04:39 PM
His little legs aren't strong enough to keep him at the top! :(

Oh well - I've decided to make them thicker and a little more stumpy, so back to the modelling board! (not this one! :p )

AJ
03-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Okay - don't think too many people care, but here are Flip's revised legs

xynaria
03-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Damn.. I wish you'd done that before they did the auditions for Silent Running.:p Looking Good :)

aor
03-07-2002, 06:23 AM
all i have to say is that it kicks ass... :) and i really like it better w/ smallish legs.. keep it up and keep us posted! thanks!

AJ
03-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Just a little render from the front, nothing new - just in love with Vray's wonderment/irradiance maps...

http://ajj.netfirms.com/Flip/Flip14.jpg

Someone suggested that I make the feet bigger to make it look more baby/child like, so I'll work on that tonight.

And if I can find a place to store my Avi's - I'll put some tests of Flip doddering around up.

Thanks for the feedback!

(And Xy - I was minus 9 when that film came out... bit b4 my time ;) - quite keen to see it tho :D )

BASSit
03-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Thatīs a sweet looking little bot . . .
When will we see him walking and jumping around ?!?!?!?!?!?
Are the eyes able to scale the "iris" ?
The style of the eyes remind me of that iris from the "Stargate" ;) Every time i see it i am wondering how they build it, because all the segments are stored in the outer ring of the gate !?

Great work ! Keep posting updates !!

johnny_riptide
03-07-2002, 06:50 PM
AJ,

What if you had this little guy fly around, then you could have those legs be retractable. On that last picture you posted you could put a couple of doors for the retractable feet - kind of like landing gear on an airplane. You could animate the feet of flip like that of a flying insect, or better yet a, bird.

Just a thought.

Daxx
03-07-2002, 08:09 PM
ahahahahahah nice Character!!!

Loll!

halo
03-08-2002, 03:13 AM
nice :D....whens he gonna come to life?

Felix
03-08-2002, 03:22 AM
last legs are best--- keep on even if people are 2 lazy 4 replys.!

AJ
03-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Thanks guys!!

BASSit - Yeh, the iris is retractable, but as you correctly surmised, it's quite faked since the position of them as it stands would make them "pop out" of the sides of his eyes... god bless artistic license ;) :D

johnny_riptide - You've basically described excactly how I want Flip to move! If you look at the fist picture you can see a couple of "bays" that retract so his legs can slide out. I was thinking of putting a little propeller in his head, but then that's been done a lot (think it's probably in BNI... I really need to see that film again!), but the movement you described for the legs is exactly what I would want... trailing in the wind and angling up when he lands.

I'll put some animations up when I can get hold of some stable storage space for them. In the mean time, thankyou so much for your feedback!

johnny_riptide
03-08-2002, 10:43 AM
AJ,

The attached image shows an idea I of flips propulsion.

I was thinking it might be cool to have doors open up on each side and have propellers telescope out.

At first the each of the propeller blades would be retracted, but as the propeller assembly telescoped out from behind the doors the motion of the propeller blades unfolding would be similar to that of an umbrella opening up.

I was also thinking that the doors concealing Flip's propellers could be analogous the "doors" concealing a beatles set of wings. So you could model the action of the doors after a that of a beetles set of "doors". If you have the DVD of a Bug's Life, pop it in and take a look at how they animated the Rhino beetle or the ladybug. When Flips doors closed after landing, they would kind of flutter a bit while he is situating the propellers he has just retracted inside his body - then they would finally come to a rest lock into position.

I don't know, just something else I thought I'd throw at you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.