PDA

View Full Version : Environment: fantasy night

sampi
12-13-2002, 09:15 AM
its my 1st time make somthing like this .
i hope u like it .
any C&Cs r mor than welcome.
http://www.arab3.com/upload/images/Dec02/lightwaver_fantzy_night.JPG

3dsmax5
12-13-2002, 12:00 PM
It's a nice pic...though the sky ruins it all...it's too blurred, it needs more detail like fractals or something. And if the tree in the front were a bit more detailed....the branches look too "straight" to be realistic. Try smooth and noise it. :beer: :applause:

kyphur
12-13-2002, 02:37 PM
also try varying the trees in the background, I can see that they're the same one as the foreground.

Kyph

maxa
12-13-2002, 02:54 PM
i like the light :)

sampi
12-13-2002, 03:00 PM
thanks for the Critiques.
I'll do my best .
put what do u meane by (though the sky ruins it all) 3dsmax5.
sorry the english is not my 1st Language.
thanks alot .

sampi
12-13-2002, 03:05 PM
hi maxa
thanks for your encouragement words .

kyphur
12-13-2002, 03:33 PM
I think the sky is the most dramatic part of the pic. I say keep it.

Kyph

sampi
12-13-2002, 06:52 PM
i was tweaking the sky untill i read your suggestion .
so what i have to do ?
just varying the trees in the background?
I think this will be a wip thread :rolleyes: .
just kidding

sampi
12-13-2002, 07:26 PM
ok friends
just a small update .
what do u think?
http://www.arab3.com/upload/images/Dec02/lightwaver_fantazy_night2.JPG

jscarr
12-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi Sampi,

The green works really well. It'd be nice if there were more trees (with a wide variety of odd-twisted shapes).

The effect on the sky isn't working very well at all, unfortunately.

It's unclear what's going on in this shot. We get the eerie sense of some green misty light but the burning sky is confusing.

Technically, the strong values of red and yellow work look too simple. Better to get subtle details in the noise and avoid over-saturated parts. Put something interesting in the sky. Make something coming from the sky -- what's causing what we're seeing and what are the implications?

Or, drop the sky altogether and focus on the green, which I think looks like a great start.

-j

3ak
12-13-2002, 10:04 PM
i think its a bad idea to place the trees in a straight line in the center.. you should distinguish the "main" tree..
as for the sky - green part is great - coz it shows us a horizon..
the upper part should outline the main tree... imo:bounce:

Remi
12-14-2002, 12:37 AM
I guess i'd like to see different trees used in the backround...the sky is fine maybe a bit more detail there.....Something in vid post made the sky correct? It's been a while since i've used max... Maybe add some depth and volume to it....I like the colors though....very nice....keep working on it..

3dsmax5
12-15-2002, 07:30 AM
Here's what I meant about the sky....(check the link)
You see the left sphere lacks in detail. Not very realistic as fire/sky. The right one is a turbulence fractal with more iterations. You know what I mean? I think your image would look perfect if it had more detail on those fireballs/clouds. And a bit more "crookedness" on the branches. Could be achieved with a noise modifier (in 3ds max). :thumbsup: :applause:

Fractal Example (http://www.geocities.com/hsyrjl/fract.html)

stephen2002
12-15-2002, 12:46 PM
freeeaaakkkyyyy sky. The tree in the center is good, maby a little off to the side so that our eyes to hit the center of the picture and stay there.

More variation/detail in the trees would go a long way.

It is also essentially black on the bottom of the picture, and I am using a bright monitor.

XerC
12-15-2002, 02:13 PM
This is a deeply inspiring pic!
I feel like copying the idea some time :p The green color simply rocks! :airguitar
Great atmosphere!

alameer
12-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Hi Sampi
It's nice work...I like the colors and light it's realy great.

:applause: :applause:

Mickey
12-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Overall look is very good. And most people have already commented on the details I was gonna point out (more variation in trees, etc...)

One thing that I notice that hasn't been pointed out yet is I think I can see the edges of the sky box. If you look at the far right of the pic about half way between the top and the horizon it seems everything gets slanted down. You can follow that across the entire image. Maybe you should curve your box into a dome...

I really like the brighter green glows touching the horizon and the grass is pretty nice too. :thumbsup:

JBruckner
12-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Great, although I dont like the distortion in the second one :)

M.Rogne
12-15-2002, 07:14 PM
I like it, though there is something I find a bit disturbing about the orange/green contrast.

Tex
12-16-2002, 12:33 AM
Thank you mickey, you noticed it too. the edge of the skybox is too sudden, there shouldn't be an adge at all. use a spherical shape. i really like the green tho, it gives this pic a creepy feel. nice:thumbsup:

sampi
12-16-2002, 10:24 AM
hi all
its an honor to see some of the greatest PROF(s) here in my thread
and the 1st time in Gallery/Finished Work .
every word, Critique, and comment here meane alot to me and maybe better than the work it self .
I have been too busy last 2 days .
I have a small notes :
1- this (small) work done with lightwave not MAX .
2- the sky dome is a half sphere not a box but the edge appeared in the 2nd pic after rotation the texture @ Y axis .
and i dont know why .
and there is no edges in the 1st one .
3- im starting now with my work and taking some of the most important Critiques and making it as step by step as a guide.
4- the simplest one is varying and adding trees so let's do it .
thanks to u all.

sampi
12-17-2002, 07:54 PM
a small update
adding and varying trees .
tweaking the sky texture .
moving the main tree a little bit to the right .
just tell me what do u think .
thanks http://www.arab3.com/upload/images/Dec02/lightwaver_fantzy2_2.JPG

Baal
12-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Nice picture, especially the last one ! I have one comment though, there seems to be a 'line' going through the sky... I've attached a picture showing what I mean.

Hope you don't mind I drawed on your picture :)

I think I should have read the other posts before posting :P Let's say I confirm what everyone else said...

3dsmax5
12-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Wow! that's what I'm talking about! Great! :applause: :thumbsup:
but the tree still has the CG look to it. The branches are too think in the ends. It needs more thinner branches. This is probably the most interesting CG landscape I've ever seen. Keep it up!
:beer:

erikals
12-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Very nice, I like the "colorscheme"?

Maybe the boughs should be more curvy and bent, instead of straight like they are now. (I know, it's much more time consuming)

(I like the first compo the best)

Neat.

wiklander
12-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Really cool sky. :thumbsup:
I like the "acid rain by the horizon" kind of feel...

sampi
12-19-2002, 12:26 AM
hi CG Talker
thanks for coming here again .
ok
the line in the sky or what ever is the curve of a volumetric spotlight(acid rain by the horizon) .nothing els .and if u insist I'll fix it with photshop.
and i'm too happy for fixing the sky :bounce:
infact I'm not looking for the reality with that tree but for somthing scary .
but happy with all of your Critiques & comments .
thanks again .

kyphur
12-19-2002, 01:15 AM
3DSMax5: Why do the trees have to be photoreal and not cg? I'm not bashing you or anything so don't think I am but I kinda like the way he's going with that. I think there's too much emphasis on Photoreal nowadays and it kinda bleeds out the artform for what it is. It's anything we want it to be.

3dsmax5
12-19-2002, 03:53 PM
I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about photorealism. It just looks like someone have cut the tip of the braches or something. The pic is great as it is, just trying to help to make it better.

Janoshz
12-19-2002, 04:19 PM
I really like the sky and the way it transits into that green horizon.
Would you mind explaning to me how you did it?

erikals
12-20-2002, 08:14 AM
I agree with "3dsmax5".
That it's different, doesn't neccesarrily mean that it should be photorealistic. Belive me, I don't think the picture should look photorealistic, to me that would ruin the picture. Hard to explain in words what I would've done differently though...

Erik

makkah_40
12-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Hey sampi!!

Keep up the good work:wavey:

and all my congrat's and bless's for the high rating:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep up guy:airguitar :D

sampi
12-20-2002, 09:06 PM
hi guys
thanks again to u all .
to your help , Critiques and Comments.
I'll do my best for keeping this up .
thanks for CGTALK for the rating .
but I think it was 4 stars this morning but now its 3.
and i dont know why?
as I said Its an honor to be here with u .
thanks again .

Aljoker
12-21-2002, 04:35 AM
thats cool ..

keep going man. :thumbsup: i'll give you 5 stars insted of this work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.