PDA

View Full Version : animate a bike chain?

astroboii
02-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Hey guys, anybody got any ideas, tips or links to turoials on how to animate a chain? Like it would spin around i guess between 2 wheels like a bike chain i guess.......i tried using spline IK and path constraints in 3d max.....i cant get it right...i also tried just key framing using bones.....that takes mroe time obviously but has the most accurates results for me so far....any help would be appreciated thanks!

billrobertson42
02-27-2006, 02:23 AM
You should see the springs video on messiah's website. It could work well for that sort of application. Even if that's not really an option for you it's still pretty cool to see.

astroboii
02-27-2006, 02:42 AM
thanks b-robb

will take a lookie and get some ideas

astroboii
02-27-2006, 03:33 AM
hell yeah

i just figured it out for anyone whos interested....

-create the chain 'attach' it all together so its one object, use a path deform modifier and use wateva axis it sits on properly (i used y) and it'll move along the path nicely. Oh make a spline shape b4hand (mine was oval shape) and use that spline shape as the path.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 03:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.