PDA

View Full Version : Character animation

richard77
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi All

I am constructing an essay in the field of Character animation and I am seeking some help as I am running into difficulties.

1. What challenges are there in this area (past and present) and what is being proposed to overcome them (or what did overcome them).

2. What relevant algorithms exist in relation to characters changing their facial expressions in relation to their external environment.

Thanks in advance.
Richard McQ.

stewartjones
03-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I think your asking the wrong sort of questions to be honest.

Animation and rigging is just one big problem!:thumbsup:

eek
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi All

I am constructing an essay in the field of Character animation and I am seeking some help as I am running into difficulties.

1. What challenges are there in this area (past and present) and what is being proposed to overcome them (or what did overcome them).

2. What relevant algorithms exist in relation to characters changing their facial expressions in relation to their external environment.

Thanks in advance.
Richard McQ.

1.cloth,fluids - fire - water-smoke ,gimbal lock, crowds, skin & muscle,suface interaction & collision,hair & fur,facials.

Generally more stable algorithms, use of implicit surfaces, more accurate simulation.

2. This doesnt exist in the way your thinking about it, as to things such as game event triggers calling actions - scripted actions this happens. Ive not seen any use of say realtime verbs to govern facial animation. Why would you want external stimuli - unless its a layer to aid in realness eg eye looks, smiles, etc Most facials are talking, which is either animated or procedural, theres lots or research into this other layer. Even areas of voice pitch, tone driving external movement.

The problem is - how to you read emotion? not exagerated movement by finite sub-movement, this is what Elkman saw in his examination. Basically procedural lip syncing is hard enough - exsrapolating nuance is very hard. Now you could do this for enviroment data, eg a flower making you smile - but but doing this your also governing the personality of the person to, something a voice does, so youd have to make a huge dataset of every consieveable input - unless you use verbs, which would generate automatic generalization and specifics of the characters surroundings.

eg. blue is good, red is bad.

So the character looks at the sky and smiles, looks down at a red bird and frowns - but then sees a puple flower - (a new verb) and is neutral, Looks closer and sees big blue patterns and smiles.

Now if emotion then dictated movement like picking the flower, your starting to build life/social intergration from naturally derived verbs.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2006, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.