PDA

View Full Version : Animation/ Fishman

danbran
12-13-2002, 06:19 AM
This is a short film i made last year...enjoy!

Fishman (http://www.danbran.com/MPGS/fishman.avi)

(its about 11 MB)

DB

anticz
12-13-2002, 06:22 AM
Saw this earlier this year and it's absolutly BRILLIANT!!!!!! I Highly recomend everyone take the time to view this. I laughed my arse off. THis is definately a 5 star thread!

Hec
12-13-2002, 06:41 AM
I thought this was very funny, spectacular work on it. My one little crit, I felt some of the shadows felt wrong. The headlights on the car was one area and then when the fish hits the wall. Very nice work it.

SheepFactory
12-13-2002, 07:07 AM
That was brilliant , i am still laughing.

:beer:

visualboo
12-13-2002, 07:15 AM
Downloading now...

Good to see another chi-town fellow here :beer:

NightFox
12-13-2002, 07:28 AM
Hey pretty nice. Simple and to the point. I love the cartoony look. Reminds me of "The TICK"... I miss that show. Should bring it back.

Anyways, no bubbles from the back of the Fishmobile?! or from the mouth? GAH!! I'm sure if you played enough with the character you could get him into alot of good funny situations like you've done here.

Great job!

fender
12-13-2002, 07:30 AM
WOW!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That was Awesome, yep still laughing here........

RockinAkin
12-13-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by NightFox
Hey pretty nice. Simple and to the point. I love the cartoony look. Reminds me of "The TICK"... I miss that show. Should bring it back.
Hell yeah!
The Tick is THE greatest cartoon of all time... I wish they'd air them again.

As for the animation, im on 56k.
45 minutes left.:annoyed:

EDIT:
Very Very funny short.
The robin character is halarious... i love when he's waving fishman into the space, and signals to stop after he's hit the car behind him - the timing of the signal was comic perfection.

Great job,
-DivideByZero-

tubby
12-13-2002, 07:38 AM
good god that was great! ahahah,everything was really nicely timed.watched it like 5 times now and counting. man, that is a great piece!:thumbsup:

b.Schulz
12-13-2002, 08:19 AM
Hey Dan :wavey: I saw this a while ago and I saw you working on it in the labs at the Academy? Came out nice I'd say. What are you doing now in Chicago? Are you back there?

HydrogenGas
12-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Very nicely done I'd say.
Great color contrast and use of light!!

Thanks, really enjoyed viewing it!!

:bounce:

xyth
12-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Hiya,

Whohoo, I became a Fishman fan! Awesome, brilliant, hilarious, etc...

Really good mime, the facial expressions couldn't be better! That is a really stomach-ache causing fun! :D

Have you learned the timing or just experienced it?

-xyth

caulfield
12-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Could you tell us a bit about how hard it was to create? All the animation and design is great, but what about the writing and direction?

I find that kind of thing the hardest to come to grips with...I've spent the last six months trying to create something inspired by Fishman, and I haven't come close.

Well done, and by the way, I was at the Australian Effects and Animation festival last week, and I know for a fact that a certain Mr Rob Coleman really liked your stuff.

Totitch
12-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Waw! One of favorite animator on CGTalk!

Great Danbran! Very nice animations and amazing Humor!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Fishman will become a Reference! It is already for me! :thumbsup:

Clanger
12-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Can't get a complete download, I connect ok but only get arround 8megs before lossing the connection.
I'll try again later, maybe there's just too many people keen to see it.

derErschaffer
12-13-2002, 10:59 AM
hahaha...funny...:applause:

MrWyatt
12-13-2002, 11:11 AM
LMAO :applause:

MrSolo
12-13-2002, 11:32 AM
So funny.....Nice work!:bounce:

Joril
12-13-2002, 11:33 AM
LOL
fantastic!
:beer:

Johnlittle
12-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Excllent,that's one funny show.Great job.:applause:

Judge Drury
12-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Did I see this on TV a while back?:shrug:

"TechTV" or something? I swear I remember seeing a "superhero parking a car" short...

Leo73
12-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Excellent Job all around. Being a batman fan its nice to see someone takes some shots at the caped crusader and make it funny. Visuals were outstanding. 5 stars all around. One question though:

Will there be anymore episodes?

Keep up the great work

Raideen
12-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Waaaayyy tooo funny... :thumbsup:

danbran
12-13-2002, 03:48 PM
First of all...

Thank you everyone for watching...and laughing! I couldn't be happier with the response Fishman has gotten. It was screened at SIGGRAPH this past summer and shown on TechTv every now and then. I wish the companies would take notice, however. Anybody hiring? ;-)

It was a lot of fun working on and a great learning experience. I still laugh when the fish hits the wall!

I made this in grad school in a short film class taught by two animators from Pixar, Adam Wood and Angus MacLane and their feedback was immeasurable. I think I learned a good lesson on pacing and timing from them. If anyone is starting a short animated film, definately try to collaborate with someone to bounce ideas around. You'll go in directions you'd never thought of on your own.

I'm currently working on the next episode: "Fishman: Unleaded" It's coming along slowly....but surely. It's shaping up to be pretty funny, so stay tuned.

--Dan

PS: The Robin-like sidekick's name is Marlin

toast3d
12-13-2002, 04:11 PM
Brilliant work! Certainlly an inspiration. :applause:
I'll look forward to the sequel.

regards,
Larry W

raden
12-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi Dan :)

Muahahaha :D

Looking such excellent work give me loads of boost :bounce: I'm now trying to do some shorts, got lots of ideas trying to settle with the most solid one...

Anyway its hillarious:buttrock:
Great job Dan:applause:

And goodluck with the sequel

Kirt
12-13-2002, 05:32 PM
I watched it, watched it again, and again, and again, etc. etc. etc.

And I still laugh my butt off each time that fish hits the wall. Amazing animation and inspirational stuff. It makes me want to try 3D again (which says alot ... because I really really really hated moving CVs and frequent render crashes :argh: ).

Anyhoo ... this one is a keeper. Looking for a CD to burn it to now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your sequel.

My Fault
12-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Best sidekick ever!

Brilliant work! :beer:

Russo
12-13-2002, 06:01 PM
HAAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH GREAT animation... really really good... congratulations :beer:

Larry_g1s
12-13-2002, 06:17 PM
:applause: Great job. That was just halarious. There's just not enough animation on this site...so great job! :thumbsup:

danbran
12-13-2002, 08:33 PM
As far as how I came about the idea and working out a story and gags goes...

When I first started it, all I knew for certain was that I wanted to do a gag about 2 guys parallel parking. Originally, it was going to be a pair of burglars. It rapidly evolved into these superheros on a mission. The whole thing evolved as it went along, even through the late animation stages. The final product is a distant cousin to the original storyboards I did.

Basically, I started with a gag, and built a "story" around it. What helped was that it's a very common situation--parallel paking. Everybody can relate to it. Look for common situations. They may not be funny in themselves, but if you turn it on its head or put a twist on it, it can be really funny.

So, try working "backwards" like that. Build around your main gag/premise/situation.

Dan

phoenix
12-13-2002, 08:55 PM
very impessive:bounce:

SheepFactory
12-13-2002, 08:55 PM
heh being in san francisco probably helped huh?

god knows how many times i saw parallel parking problems in front of the 180 building :)

Ali

muckywetnoodle
12-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Hehe, yep, that was a gas. Funny stuff sir!

Grayscale
12-13-2002, 11:20 PM
This is hilarious. This just goes to show that an animation doesn't have to be extremely photorealistic to be extremely funny. I think I have watched this six times and everytime it gets funnier. Great Job...Sequel???

beyondMyth
12-14-2002, 01:39 AM
thats just wonderful!! great animation and humour! :) *peace*

danbran
12-14-2002, 02:51 AM
Fishman fans! Be sure to check out the Official Fishman Store!!

T-Shirts, mugs, and more!

Fishman Stuff!!! (http://www.cafeshops.com/fishman1,fishman2,fishman3,fishman4)

DB

Peace455
12-14-2002, 09:49 AM
Amazing.

Extremely funny.

The parallel parking was killing me.

lovely animation:buttrock: :buttrock:

M.:D

BooRadLey
12-14-2002, 11:03 AM
That was just great, I'm an animation student and it's the shorts like that that really inspire me to get working on my own he he. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Brad

PotatoHead
12-14-2002, 12:48 PM
i wish i had a faster connection.....:annoyed:

Baldasseroni
12-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Minimalist, freaking hilarious....perfect!

Ciao, Ale

LBoogie
12-15-2002, 02:15 AM
excellent job! :applause:

(DARKELEMENT)
12-15-2002, 06:31 AM
I love it i think i will merry it...no wait i wont but it is great. 10days to Xmas...:beer:

mebamonster
12-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Dude! This is some awesome stuff! My sides still hurt from laughing. Hee hee. Great work. I look forward to seeing more of your work!:thumbsup:

facial
12-16-2002, 09:38 AM
You did great work here, man. Keep it up.:beer:

danbran
12-16-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
heh being in san francisco probably helped huh?

god knows how many times i saw parallel parking problems in front of the 180 building :)

Ali

So true! The traffic and honking added to the would-be-parker's problems!

db

Frinsklen
12-20-2002, 09:13 PM
This is just great. I didnt reply before cause I forgot Fishman was still on my download queue...

This is the kind of stuff I'd like to do one day, the day I come up with an idea and finally decide to animate a 3-minute-or-so short. Your animation will be a reference, that's for sure.
Besides, my current project happens to be a superhero too...

Awesome job, I really cant wait to see what's next.

:thumbsup:

PS. I'd like to know how long it took you to do the whole thing, specially as far as animation process goes. And also what were the hard parts, etc.

danbran
12-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Frinsklen

PS. I'd like to know how long it took you to do the whole thing, specially as far as animation process goes. And also what were the hard parts, etc.

The whole thing, from concept, storyboards, layout, final output, took about 5 months. About 3 1/2 months for animation, roughly. The layut stage and animation stage blended together, some shots were more fleshed out than others.

The hardest part was the parking sequence. In an early draft, the parking went, on and on and on....killed the pacing, but was still kinda funny. That never really revealed itself in the storyboards (the pacing issue). I really got a good idea what was working in the layout stage and what wasn't working. But I kept fiddling with the parking sequence even till the end, playing with camera angles too. Also tricky was the staging. Juggling diferent things going on the screen at once, like when the burglars hop out to their car while they are parking.

All in all, things went smoothly. My animatic was pretty lame, if that were more fleshed out, I probably would have noticed certain issues earlier. But at the same time, the whole thing evolved as I went along. It stayed pretty flexible. I would think of funnier things later on I could put in.

I should post the first draft layout sometime, it's pretty funny looking. The pacing is painfully slow.

Thanks for the kind words!It's great knowing so many people enjoyed watching it. The next one is shaping up to be pretty funny. New gags, new setting. Stay tuned!

I look forward to seeing your superhero animation!
db

Okke
12-23-2002, 09:11 PM
I can say only one thing: GREAT!!!

Good script and alot of humor. Please make more episodes of this. It's a great concept.

Grtz,

Okke::applause:

kemamusa
12-25-2002, 05:35 AM
If this show was on TV, I'd watch it!!!!

:airguitar :airguitar :airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.