PDA

View Full Version : Applying textures to edge of an extrusion?

maikukai
02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I am trying to create a bent plywood chair. I extruded a spline and slapped a wood texture on it but I'm having trouble texturing the edge to give it the multilayered look of plywood. I need the texture to follow the curves of the edge. Any advice?

Glyptic
02-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Maybe change your Projection to Spherical or Cubic.

Default is UVW Mapping, and that is often *not* very helpful for my work. The texture tool also does not engage with that Projection. With all the others you can Scale, Rotate and Move the texture to give you a lot more latitude.

Good luck,
glyptic

Glyptic
02-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I just re-read your post.

IF you have a specific texture for that edge, you might try Flat Projection and then rotate the texture to be parallel with your chosen surface.

I kinda missed what you were talking about when I first read your post. Sorry.

glyptic

graz
02-26-2006, 07:09 PM
You could start with a flat slab, apply your texture (you may want to apply separate textures to each of the poly faces, then apply a "stick textures" tag to it and then use a couple of bend modifiers to give you your curves. The texture would then follow the curvature.

NWoolridge
02-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I am trying to create a bent plywood chair. I extruded a spline and slapped a wood texture on it but I'm having trouble texturing the edge to give it the multilayered look of plywood. I need the texture to follow the curves of the edge. Any advice?

When you create an extrude nurbs object (or any "nurbs" object with caps) you can separately texture the caps by putting "C1" and/or "C2" in the restriction field of a texture tag. This allows you to apply the main plywood texture, and then apply another "side-on" texture on top, and restrict it to the caps. You could use a different scale/projection for the caps to get the look you need.

HTH

Nick

maikukai
02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I was going about it the wrong way. Here's what I did... For the bent wood, instead of using an extruded spline, I used a sweep NURBS with a spline and a rectangle .75" x 20". (The rectangle is the cross-section, the spline is the curve.) For the plywood edge, I copied sweep NURBS, made the rectangle .01" wide x .5" and moved it out to the sides of the bent wood. Then I applied a plywood-looking material.

For the plywood material I used "Tiles" in the color channel. The pattern is Lines 1, Orientation V. The projection is Cubic.

I tried to upload a pic but I'm gettiing an error, I'll try later...:
Warning:move_uploaded_file(tmp/b71d756a6ce32a4de1f20a6a3c5f5848) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /includes/functions_file.php on line 280

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.