PDA

View Full Version : Paint.NET v2.6

L.Rawlins
02-26-2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/screenshots/pdn26_seattle_thumb.jpg

What's new in Paint.NET v2.6?

- Full 64-bit support, for both x64 and Itanium systems
- New "Curves" adjustment for editing an image's color curves
- Seven new layer blend modes: Color Burn, Color Dodge, Reflect, Glow,Overlay, Negation, and Xor
- Aesthetic improvements to the entire user interface
- Better performance, especially for 64-bit systems
- Zooming, esp. with the mouse wheel, has been enhanced
- Rewritten layer composition engine is now mathematically correct, and faster
- Deployment via AD/GPO is now much easier (use /createMsi with setup package)
- User interface now works correctly in high-DPI (120dpi, 144dpi, 196dpi)
- Layers window list is no longer "upside down"
- Upgraded to use .NET Framework 2.0
- Many other improvements and fixes

Out now. (http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.html)

laureato di arte
02-26-2006, 06:05 PM
good stuff im downloading now, lets see what we can cook up

ares623
02-27-2006, 08:30 AM
i'm getting very low download speed..
i have one question: how fast does this app load up? because i don't like using MSPaint for quick edits for images anymore.. thanks

Beanmaster
02-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Hi, good stuff.

It's loading up very fast. on my 2800+ with 2 GB Ram it takes under 1 second to load.

mustique
02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Looks promising. Will download and try.
Would have looked better if it wouldn't have copied
the bad Photoshop UI though.

Xevious
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
- Full 64-bit support, for both x64 and Itanium systems

Sorry for sounding ignorant but what exactly is an Itanium system?

Srek
02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry for sounding ignorant but what exactly is an Itanium system?
Itanium is a specific CPU type developed by Intel. It is not related to x86 processors and usualy only used for server systems. Originaly it was planned as a high performance workstation and server CPU, but it never realy cought on for workstations.

Cheers
Björn

thomaspecht
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
itanium is an intel 64 bit "next generation" cpu. has been considered the next great thing a couple years ago. it failed in the mass market and is only used in a few server systems and the sgi prism these days, as far as i'm aware.

Xevious
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
^^

Thanks for the response guys!!

mangolass
02-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Looks promising. Will download and try.
Would have looked better if it wouldn't have copied
the bad Photoshop UI though.

So what about this product ~isn't~ copied from Photoshop?

LT

spmonahan
02-27-2006, 08:29 PM
So what about this product ~isn't~ copied from Photoshop?

LT

The price.

slaughters
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Not bad for a replacement for MS Paint.

It really needs Masks or at least Selection modification tools to be real usable for even moderatly difficult editing projects though. (also miss soft brush and eraser support)

BUT - The price is certainly right. :)

JDex
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Haven't installed it yet... does it support 16/32bit image formats --OpenEXR specifically-- or is it just a 8bit manipulation app.

mangolass
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
The price.

If all they can do is copy from another program then it's not much better than piracy ~ just slower because the programmers sit there copying one function at a time.

The same thing happened with The Gimp ~ hard to believe not 1 person working on the project had any new ideas?

LT

JDex
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Well in defense of the developer... more so for GIMP than this app... To compete with an application that is the standard, you need to offer all of the functionality of the standard before adding much innovation. GIMP seemed to be on that track at one point, meet the needs of users of the competitor, then obliterate them with improved implementation and new features. Unfortunately IMHO the dev teams have not yet met the standard, and seem to be slow in getting it there... very likely because of the downside of some open source operations... no financing, and therefore little motivation. I could be wrong, and I'm sure the OS zealots will jump all over my back, but GIMP has been relatively stagnant...

As for the developer here... it originated as a school project, for us to define it as a carbon copy means little... as oh so many school assignments are based upon copying other's work (not even in an immoral way, more in a learn by doing way).

slaughters
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
f all they can do is copy from another program then it's not much better than piracy...Well I guess you are entitled to your own opinion. ::shrug::

It's a nice "lite" program intended to take the place of MS Paint. If anything the GUI (intentionally) resembles MS Paint more than it does Photoshop.

I do like the feature in the GUI how the window overlays go semi transparent when not in use.

greyface
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Well in defense of the developer... more so for GIMP than this app... To compete with an application that is the standard, you need to offer all of the functionality of the standard before adding much innovation.

That is of course true, but there are many ways of achieving this functionality, not only a single one. I too am getting fed up with all these photoshop clones. There is no point in them if they are exactly like photoshop, and trying to beat photoshop feature-wise first, like you say is practically impossible. Photoshop is a feature packed monster, and the only way to take it down is with innovative design and simplicity. Think what ArtRage is to Painter.

mustique
02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, Adobe has prooved that it can make a good UI with the debut of AfterEffects 7.0 and PremierePro 2.0. Hopefully the Photoshop UI will get the same kind of facelift and functionality in its next version.

Splin
03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, Adobe has prooved that it can make a good UI with the debut of AfterEffects 7.0 and PremierePro 2.0. Hopefully the Photoshop UI will get the same kind of facelift and functionality in its next version.
And thats like how many years late, I would not call it innovation. More as a surviving maybe, money needs to be made and at last the big dinosaur were pushed into corner so hard that they had to come up with something *really* new this time.

For the Gimp'd defence I would say it is a nice little app. Never their idea was to compete directly with PS, that would be also pretty weird move. But i find it does what it was meant to do. Btw, I find maximum gimp experience can be had only under linux...windows is nanana...
And of course to enjoy that little app you have to be able to thorw away that PS workflow from your head. If all what one does is to compare one application to other and at the same time can not keep separate their workflows then of course one is worse than another.

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.