PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine movement

bugzilla
02-26-2006, 01:04 AM
I realize that I need to add more serpentine movements to the spine and tails of my dragon characters when they fly. What I want to do is have the spine and tail bones of my character follow along a motion path. I've heard of the old solution of creating a morph target and animating the bones along that, but that won't work for me because I don't know the distance the character will travel yet.

Is there a simple way (plugin, Lscript, motion panel settings) to animate a chain of bones so they smoothly follow a motion path or curve in Layout?

Ed Bittner
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking that maybe you could use sliders for the object morphs rather than animating the bones. Or splines maybe.
E.

bugzilla
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
What I want to do is more like animating a train. the engine follows along a motion path and the train cars trail behind in sequence. Any idea how that is accomplished? I know I saw this solution once before, but I can't remember where I saw it now.

PentamiterBeast
02-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, the thing you're talking about is curve conform, a motion modifier. However using it to do tails on characters is a bit of a no no, its really for absolute, constrained motion. Here's what you want to do, select all the bones (down the length of the tail say) and roate them all at once, once this base information is keyed in, just load up the grpahs in the graph editor, and bump the keys further down in time by a couple of frames with each bones down the chain. Simple.

murcielago
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Convert your animation path to a spline in modeler and load the spline into layout. You can make it visible. Use it as a visual reference to pose the spine and tail to match it at every keypose. Its simple do . :)

bugzilla
02-28-2006, 03:58 AM
Convert your animation path to a spline in modeler and load the spline into layout. You can make it visible. Use it as a visual reference to pose the spine and tail to match it at every keypose. Its simple do . :)

Although it doesn't automate the process as much as I had hoped, I tried your suggestion and, though labor intensive, yields good results. It's a technique I will use often now. Thanks much.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.